LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 04:19 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/122/130 BMI=20.9
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Just Jo's LC WOE Journey Journal -- Down 142 lbs

Well, better late than never... as they say. I wanted a place to record my progress on maintaining the weight loss I have achieved since May 2013. To date (11 June 2014) that is a total of 142 lbs.

Please post any questions or comments and I will answer them to the best of my abilities.

I have a digital journey I have been keeping since January 11, 2014 -- so I may add some of that here as well.

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2014, 04:55 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

The Journey Begins:

At the end of every school year, I have the good intentions of losing the tonnage. Every year same ole song and dance. ďJo get your fat butt in gear and do this!Ē On 24 May 2013, I decided once again, it was time to get back to losing the weight because I was topping the scales at 265. The highest I ever weighed was 296 back in 1996. I was miserably and morbidly obese.

Once again, Fat Jo (my evil carb loving alter ego) stepped in when Iíd do really well following the plan M-F and sheíd whisper: Wow youíve done so well, letís eat those CARBS. Iíd lose 3-4 lbs during the week, then on the weekends, eat like there was no tomorrow. By 5 July after a carb filled 4th of July with all the trimmings, I had had enough of Fat Jo and her lying carb eating ways. Come on now, lose and gain the same 3-4 pounds every week -- thatís insanity. But thatís how my entire adult life had been.

I did a lot of research this time around when I restarted Aí72. I thought for like a nanosecond that I might try out weight-loss surgery. I said I thought about it for a nanosecond, realizing of course that itís not the be all and end all of weight loss.

It would still take months to drop the weight and people that have the surgery have no more than about 600 kcals daily from the research Iíve been able to find and usually itís low carb. And I know all about low carb and their success rate after weight loss surgery in gaining back the weight is no better than any other method of trying to lose the weight. I figured Iíd try Aí72 again because Iím an old pro at it. My biggest struggle, of course, will be learning how to maintain and no matter which way you manage to loss weight -- maintaining it is the real goal!

With nothing to lose (except for WEIGHT) and plenty of time on my hands (Iím a school teacher, so the summer seemed perfect for my new journey) I decided to try eating 600-800 kcals a day (like the weight loss surgery people) with no more than 6 grams of carbs.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:09 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

What did I eat?

AM: Coffee with International Delight Liquid Coffee Cream 2 T. = 40 kcals & 2g carbs

PM: One bag (5-6 oz) Butter Lettuce type salad, with homemade garlic vinaigrette dressing = 80 kcals & 4g carbs
So I got my other kcals from:
Tuna, Baked Chicken Breast, Canned Chicken Breast, Oscar Meyer Deli-Fresh Smoked Ham or Broiled Cod
I take 2 multi-vitamins, Calcium (630 mg) + vitamin D (500 ID) its one tablet, Magnesium 250 mg and 2 Potassium 595 mg each (helped resolve the leg cramps Iíd get at night) - I did 1 potassium first, but that didnít help so my doc increased it to 2.

I drink water and diet soda and I don't measure those at all.

I only eat one time a day. I found out recently that itís called Intermittent Fasting. It works very well for me because if I eat more often, I am hungry all day long. Someone on a thread said ďI'm not hungry until I put food in my mouth"! And thatís exactly how it is for me. So now I call it the ďI'm not hungry until I put FOOD in my mouth" syndrome. That describes my overeating/portion control issues to a T. Seriously, I could sit and graze all day long...that's why I was morbidly obese!

So counting kcals and eating once a day takes care of two things for me, 1) overeating/portion control and 2) I have to be "full" when I am done eating.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:31 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds pretty boring, but I love it -- I know the night before what I am going to eat the next day and that seems to satisfy me and any cravings.
I don’t like to spend a lot of time prepping, touching, or cooking food. One tends to “sample” as they prep and cook. So I keep it as simple and fast as possible.

I averaged 756 kcals daily and 6g carbs from July 5 to Jan 1, 2014 and lost 115 lbs by 23 Dec 2013.

By Jan 1, I decided I needed to up my kcals. So every week I’d add 50 kcals daily. I try to do 1200 kcals daily but it’s difficult to eat that much food and I still only have 6 carbs daily.

I added the one thing I missed most and that was pork rinds. On average, I do about 1100 kcals daily. Some days I do 1200 other days 900, it depends how hungry I am.

I reached my goal weight of 130 on March 10, 2014 for a total loss of 135 lbs in 41 weeks! Holy Hannah, I was not going to spend another birthday being Fat Jo!!

On March 24, I upped my daily kcals to 1200-1400 and my carbs to 8. The pork rinds helped boost the kcals.

Last edited by Just Jo; 06-12-2014 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: Silly fingers...
Old 06-12-2014, 05:39 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
You already know this, but I wanted to tell you:

YOU ARE AWESOME !!!

I need your inspiration. I don't have much more to lose, but it seems like the scale doesn't want to budge anymore than it already has. Ultimately would like to be 140.
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:27 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden View Post
You already know this, but I wanted to tell you:

YOU ARE AWESOME !!!

I need your inspiration. I don't have much more to lose, but it seems like the scale doesn't want to budge anymore than it already has. Ultimately would like to be 140.
Thanks Garden! I have an article that I think may interest you -- it was an eye opener for me:

Quote:
"Just Another Ten Pounds" or How to Know When Your Weight Loss is Over? by Dr. Berkley
Patients who undergo psychoanalysis engage with their psychiatrists on an intense basis, often for years. When the time comes for treatment to end, the therapist initiates a "termination phase": a time period that allows for examination of what has been accomplished and prepares the patient for separation. Here is a bit about termination from a psychiatry website:

"Most experienced psychotherapists are trained to start the termination process early ó far earlier than most clients are probably used to or even comfortable with. Some therapists may start talking about it as far out as 10 or 12 sessions from the end (especially for longer-term therapy). This is a good thing. It gives you time to get comfortable with the idea..."

Weight loss practitioners could learn a thing or two from the psychotherapists. The decision to end weight loss is a complicated one and could benefit from a "termination phase". Rarely is there a natural conclusion to the process.

Here's what I find to be usual. The dieter, despite losing large amounts of weight, is not happy with the ultimate outcome. In our practice, patients move from active weight loss into what we call maintenance. At that point, our expectation is that the patient will stabilize at the weight they've reached. Often, it takes months for me to negotiate this transition simply because the patient is unwilling to give up his or her dream of losing "just another ten pounds". They generally use the same language, "I'd really like to lose another ten" or "I'd really like to get down just one more size". But despite the fact that they'd really like to do it, they often can't make it happen. This is just the reality. Unknown-4

When should we be happy with the weight we've lost and when should we push on for more? Here are a few thoughts on the subject:

ēMost of us make the assumption that weight loss has an obvious end point. This may be a size or a scale number, but coupled with this goal is the belief that weight loss will bring physical happiness. In reality, the end of weight loss still leaves us with an imperfect body. Even the best and strongest weight loss never creates perfection.

ēAs weight loss continues, the body puts the brakes on. This is an ancient response that is intended to keep you from starving to death. If calories go down, the body simply responds by going into an efficiency mode and burning fewer calories on daily activities than it normally would. Eventually, the body can equilibrate to run on the calories you are giving it--even though you are dieting-- without losing more weight. We call this a "plateau" and it happens at varying times for different people. For women, a plateau often occurs at around 30 pounds of loss.

ēBreaking through a plateau is possible but only if you get as tough as you can about following your diet rules 100%. Adding exercise at this point may help, as long as you do not depart from the diet at the same time.

ēA JAMA study in 2005 showed that when 160 dieters were randomly assigned to varying diets the mean weight loss at one year was about 5 pounds. Dieters who have achieved weight losses in the 20 to 100 pound range generally don't appreciate how rare they are. These results are spectacular and should be applauded. Instead, we are often unhappy about not losing more.

ēIn my experience---and this is strictly anecdotal---the percent of people who hit a plateau and go on to successfully lose that last ten pounds or that one more dress size is about 10%. Once a dieter has been on a plateau for a month or more, they seem generally unable to get more loss. I'm not sure of the cause of this but my guess would be that it is a combination of bodily signals that prompt re-feeding and burn out with dieting.

So when should you consider being happy with the result you've achieved? And when should you stop being unhappy that you haven't achieved the perfect result?

ēIf you are within 10 to 20 pounds of where you hoped to be, but you're stuck,

ēIf you are trying to get to "normal" weight range on a BMI chart, but can't do it (never a good goal in my mind), but you're at a size you can certainly live with.

ēIf you've improved medical conditions that were related to your weight and feel a lot better but can't seem to lose any more.

ēIf you've lost significantly (10% or greater weight loss) but continuing to diet is causing you to feel badly about yourself and is leading to increasing frustration.

Remember that losing weight should be primarily about health. It is only peripherally about appearance. We reverse this order routinely and that's an error.

In short, if you've had a reasonable weight loss and you find yourself stuck on a plateau for a month or more, consider rewarding yourself for having nailed a month of maintenance. Lower your expectations and raise your self praise. Do this by working on maintaining your weight loss and developing a sense of pride about having lost what you did. If it is impossible to give up your "ten more pounds" dream, shift the dream into a different focus. Put yourself into maintenance with the idea of resting for a while. Let your body recuperate from its efforts but do that without backsliding. Pick a time in the future when you will make another concerted effort to finish the job, recognizing that the effort will have to involve a tough re-focus. If future efforts fail to work, be awed and amazed at your ability to stay at the weight you achieved. Learning how to maintain is the true skill and the most difficult one. Shift away from scale and size numbers and turn your attention toward creating a diet that fuels your body naturally and efficiently. Make this your next project and your lifelong goal.

http://www.refusetoregain.com/2014/0...ss-is-over.htm
Old 06-14-2014, 03:49 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Thank You Jo! That was inspiring to read. I am not displeased with my weight loss. I think I look great! But..........just another 5 pounds would be an awesome victory! LC is a permanent WOE for me that's for sure. My sisters always comment on my weight loss and ask how I did it. I have told them repeatedly how to do it, but they don't follow my lead. They just continue to eat the same as they always have and continue to complain about being uncomfortable.

Anway - Thank You again! I am going to share this on my journal for my buddies who are struggling with being "stuck". Hence forth, I will consider myself as "maintaining my weight loss" and not being "stuck or stalled".
Old 06-17-2014, 04:15 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

17 June 2014

Yesterday was 14 months on Aí 72 and today is day 386. Wow, I canít believe it. I have been so committed to this WOE. Itís remarkable how my whole being has embraced this. I donít even think about those toxic, poisonous, insidious, killer crabs at all. I donít have any cravings for them. Actually, the thought of eating them makes me want to gag. So thatís a really good thing!!

Someone posted a powerful statement the other day whilst we were talking about Intermittent Fasting. And that statement really hit home for me because it is so true:
ďIím only hungry when I start putting FOOD in my mouth!Ē
Isnít that Godís honest truth when it comes to how food affects me. I truly am only hungry when I start to eat. Thatís why eating one time a day is so affective for me. And the later in the day I wait to eat, the better off I am. Someone suggested that this was IF.

The more I learn about IF, the less I think I am truly doing that as part of my LC WOE. Apparently, the IF WOE involves an eating window. Someone said their window was from 11am-7pm. At first I thought they were grazing all day long or more appropriately, during their eating window. But apparently, they eat lunch, have snacks and then eat dinner. I need to do more research on this because Iím still confused since what that person described was how ďFat JoĒ ate!

This time next week, Iíll be in Florida with the eldest DD visiting the youngest DD and my Dad and twin bro. Dad and bro have not seen me in 6 years. The youngest DD hasn't seen me in four, so it will be interesting to see the looks on their faces when they see me 143lbs lighter!!! It's going to be EPIC!!

They have all been forewarned that I have a different WOE and have made them lay in some supplies for our visit. They are supportive, so itís all good. I want to eat fresh fish while Iím there, since here in New Mexico, we donít get much fresh fish. All I know is that I will NOT eat off plan. I have worked too hard to get where I am, I truly love being this thin and not having to worry about looking like a fat cow. I have so much self-confidence and self-esteem, itís rather a wonderful feeling. I feel like I can accomplish anything!
Old 06-17-2014, 04:17 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

16 June 2014's Food & Exercise:

This journal will also be a place where I log what I've eaten the day before and how much exercise I've gotten:

16 June 2014:

Food:
AM: Copious amounts of coffee and 2 c. Blue Almond Breeze Almond/Coconut Blend Milk Unsweetened

6 PM: 6 oz salad with homemade Dijon garlic vinaigrette dressing
20 oz Broiled chicken breast

Total carbs = 6 and kcals = 960

Exercise: 2 mile walk & 5 hours stationary bike
Old 06-18-2014, 01:26 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tara1970
Stats: 176/158/Happy@140/Ideal@128
WOE: CAD/One Meal A Day/Gluten Free
You're an inspiration. And that's a great article!
Tara1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:02 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara1970 View Post
You're an inspiration. And that's a great article!
Thanks Tara!!! BTW, I love your avatar! Are you a Charmed fan too?
Old 06-18-2014, 04:02 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Yesterday was another very successful day in my LC WOE journey. I am following my personal motto to a T:
Stay Committed 100%
Eat Properly & Exercise Daily
Accept the things I cannot Control & Change the things I can.
Live my life to be Successful at following this LC WOE!

Itís really remarkable that I donít have cravings for those toxic, poisonous, insidious, killer carbs at all. Even food commercials on TV donít provoke any response from me like they would have before I became totally committed to following this LC WOL.

But then again, I donít look at food the same way. I look at food as a way to ďsustainĒ my body and nothing more. Iím not saying I donít enjoy eating, because I do. Iíll always love to eat. But this is so different. Ben Franklinsí quote: ďEat to Live NOT Live to Eat!Ē makes so much sense to me now. Before Iíd think about food all the time, what crappy carb-y food I was going to pig-out on next. Itís was insane. Now I still think about food, but itís only a momentary thought to make sure I am prepared for the next dayís meal. Planning is so key to staying successful in this WOE for me and being that I am a little OCD and a control freak to the max at times, this is easy!

I know going on vacation next week to Florida will not deter me one moment from following my WOE. I have worked too hard to get to where I am now to go off plan because of a vacation. I was ďgoldenĒ when I went to Phoenix to visit the DD and the DSIL. I wasnít tempted once.

Letís face it, we can give ourselves ďpermissionĒ to go off plan for a multitude of reasons. I didnít say they were good reasons. Brings to mind the Thanksgiving Fiasco of 2013 -- where I gave myself permission to go off plan whilst the DD and the DSIL were visiting over the holidays. I had 3 days of reverting back to ďFat JoĒ and her destructive eating behavior and gained 9 pounds!!! Holy HANNAH, it took me 6 days to lose those 9 pounds! I felt so stupid that I had given myself permission with the guarantee that I would go back to eating clean right afterwards -- which I did, Thank God! Why did I give myself permission? Well, I had lost 105 pound by then. Seems like a good reason, looking back now, it was stupid!! But LESSON LEARNED -- the hard way!

I have a quote I love that I think if I had it back then, I wouldnít have cheated:
ďNothing Tastes as Good as Being at my Personal Weight Goal Feels!Ē

Okay I think thatís it for today! Need to go do my walk!
Old 06-18-2014, 04:04 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

17 June 2014's Food & Exercise

Food:
AM: Copious amounts of coffee and 2 c. Blue Almond Breeze Almond/Coconut Blend Milk Unsweetened to make my LC foo foo cafť au Almond/Coconut Blend a lŗ Da Vinci SF Caramel

5 PM: 7 oz ďGarden LifeĒ Green Leaf lettuce wrappers leaves
20 oz Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh Smoked Ham
2 oz pork rinds

Total carbs = 6 and kcals = 940

Exercise: 2 mile walk, 6 hours stationary bike & 20 mins wt. training
Old 06-18-2014, 04:32 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
Are you a Charmed fan too?
Yes - I missed it when it was first shown, but I treated myself to Netflix recently and started watching it and got drawn in!

I love the SF setting as well, beautiful scenery!

Sounds like your day's going awesome!
Old 06-18-2014, 04:44 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yes - I missed it when it was first shown, but I treated myself to Netflix recently and started watching it and got drawn in!

I love the SF setting as well, beautiful scenery!

Sounds like your day's going awesome!
The day is going super well. I missed it too when it came out originally, so I bought the DVDs. I love it!
Old 06-18-2014, 05:32 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: giggles4me
Stats: 160/133/125
WOE: my way! low carb & low cal
Start Date: 2/15/2014
All I can say is WOW!
Your discipline is fabulous, you are where I hope to be one day..
I am still at the point that if I do good all week I can eat the other stuff (junk) on the weekends. And I keep playing with the same few pounds. Changing this mind set is so hard..
I love that you posted how you started and what you ate.
Please keep posting...
giggles4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggles4me View Post
All I can say is WOW!
Your discipline is fabulous, you are where I hope to be one day..
I am still at the point that if I do good all week I can eat the other stuff (junk) on the weekends. And I keep playing with the same few pounds. Changing this mind set is so hard..
I love that you posted how you started and what you ate.
Please keep posting...
Thanks for the kind words! But you've done amazingly well too! According to your stats, you only have 8 more lbs to go!! I'm over here cheering you onward and DOWNARD!!

And I do plan to keep posting!
Old 06-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Florida Trip Plans and Wardrobe!

Oh goodness, I am getting so excited about going to Florida next Monday for our Girlsí Get Away to visit the youngest DD, my dad & twin bro who live there. The DD and I are leaving the men behind to dog sit our respective dogs. Iím flying from EP to Phoenix on Monday and DD will join me and weíll fly to Orlando. Funny that Iíve got to go West to go East. LOL At least itís only one stop and not in a major city like Atlanta or Dallas. Actually, I donít mind Dallas as long as we connect from Love Field.

Iíve gotten the cutest wardrobe to wear. Can you imagine I have ďtanksĒ in my wardrobe?? Yes, I feel that my arms are suitable to wear tanks in public now! Holy Hannah, I have NEVER EVER worn a tank in public in my whole entire life because I had these FAT arms!!! Now they are lovely and tanned.

Iíve been tanning outside every day since end of April. I started out only on the weekends for 20 mins a side during SY. Then when school let out Iíve been doing it every day and now Iím up to 45 mins a side. I have to start about 9ish or itís too blooming hot outside. But my entire body is tanned -- well, just the parts that would show when Iím wearing a bathing suit.

Back to the wardrobe for the trip...
Iíve got 8 lovely tanks to take with in a rainbow of colors. Five of them I got on amazon ($6-8 each) and I found three cute ones that are v necks at Wal-mart (under $4). I also got these light weight shrugs to on amazon to wear with them since there are times that I get cold since I lost all the weight. Iíd rather carry a light weight sweater/shrug than not have one handy when I get cold.

Iíll pair up all the tanks with blue jeans and thereís my Florida vacation wardrobe. We are not going anywhere fancy that a pair of blue jeans is not suitable. The DDs are going to help me shop for a bathing suit before we head out to the beach since I havenít owned one in forever. Oldest DD asked me why I didnít buy one here and I told her -- stop and think about WHERE I live and how many stores I have available. Wouldnít it make better sense to buy a bathing suit in a land where there actually is water? She laughed and agreed. Well thatís all I've got for today!
Old 06-19-2014, 02:32 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Thursday, 19 June 2014

I think Iíve lost another pound. I am not going to change my stats yet. The BF is starting to get concerned that I may be developing an eating disorder... Wow ďFat JoĒ with an eating disorder -- thatís unheard of. Well wasnít being morbidly obese and overeating also an eating disorder? I told him to be patient with me and that Iím trying to work all of this out.

I really didn't do much to get to this "maintenance" portion of the program. I just stopped losing the weight so I figured I'm done -- "touch down" (not done with the WOE, but done with increasing kcals/carbs and the experimentation) because I'm in this to the grave...

Maintenance is a huge challenge, cause I thought I had it all figured out... but apparently not... so back to the drawing board and the experimentation. But not until I return from my Florida trip. I donít really want to change things up when Iím out of my element. I know I WILL NOT go off plan because letís face it, no one puts a gun to my head and says, ďEat Carbs or you DIE!Ē I love this quote that someone posted on another thread because it fits so perfectly:

ďRemember at the end of the day, I WILL NOT regret what I DID NOT eat!Ē

Isnít that perfectly true? How many times have I regretted eating something that day whilst in bed ready to fall asleep? Thatís like overindulging on the pork rinds! Thank goodness I had the foresight to have the BF secret them away and measure portions out for me. Granted they are perfectly ďLEGALĒ to eat on A í72. But I would eat so much that Iíd gain 1-2 lbs of water weight and it would take me several days to lose it. It was gratifying to know the rinds were the cause of the weight gain. So now I indulge only to up my kcals.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:38 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

18 June 2014's Food & Exercise:

Food:
AM: Copious amounts of coffee and 2 c. Blue Almond Breeze Almond/Coconut Blend Milk Unsweetened to make my LC foo foo cafť au Almond/Coconut Blend a lŗ Da Vinci SF Caramel

6 PM: 6 oz Morningside Butter Lettuce & 1 T. homemade dressing
20 oz Broiled Cod
2 oz pork rinds

Total carbs = 6 and kcals = 960

Exercise: 3 mile walk & 4.75 hours stationary bike
Old 06-19-2014, 06:24 AM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Gracie514
Stats: 214.6/198/194.6 SECOND GOAL!!!
WOE: HCG- highest wt 250 lbs!!!
Start Date: 1/1/2014 LC 2/17/14 Hhcg
Hi Just Jo - I'm subscribing!

You are such an inspiration and always a wonderful supporter! It's very interesting that you fast all day and then eat a nice big dinner. I have done this before as a "correction day" on hcg. Same strategy - you only eat dinner and it can be the biggest steak and tomato you want. I always netted a nice loss the next morning. Do you put cream and sweetener in your coffee? And what is the 2 cups of almond milk drink? Inquiring minds....

Hope you don't mind if I follow you into your maintenance phase. This is always the hardest phase from what I've heard. I wouldn't know, I haven't made it yet!
1/5/14 GOAL #1 BACK TO ONEDERLAND 3/4/14 MADE IT
3/4/14 GOAL #2 194.6 (20 LBS EVICTED FOR 2014)
TAKING IT ONE DAY AT A TIME
Gracie514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: giggles4me
Stats: 160/133/125
WOE: my way! low carb & low cal
Start Date: 2/15/2014
Just Jo,
I see you went from coffee creamer (the same one I drink now) to Almond breeze/coconut blend unsweetened, When did you know it was time to switch???
It's the flavored coffee creamer that gives me to many carbs..
giggles4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie514 View Post
Hi Just Jo - I'm subscribing!

You are such an inspiration and always a wonderful supporter! It's very interesting that you fast all day and then eat a nice big dinner. I have done this before as a "correction day" on hcg. Same strategy - you only eat dinner and it can be the biggest steak and tomato you want. I always netted a nice loss the next morning. Do you put cream and sweetener in your coffee? And what is the 2 cups of almond milk drink? Inquiring minds....

Hope you don't mind if I follow you into your maintenance phase. This is always the hardest phase from what I've heard. I wouldn't know, I haven't made it yet!
Thanks for the kinds words, Gracie!

The reason for my one meal a day is simple and one of the posters on another thread put it very simply:

"I'm only hungry when I put food in my mouth." And the later I can have my ex large meal the happier I am. I have portion control issues and I love to be "full" when Im done eating... so this works perfectly for me.

I use Silk or Almond Breeze Almond "milk" products -- it's not a dairy product. It's sold right next to the soy milks in the dairy section. They also have it as a shelf stable product. Google them for more info. It's a wondrous product 8 oz = <1 or 1 gram carb and 30-45 kcals depending on the "flavor" they have original, vanilla, almond, almond/coconut blend and coconut. Make sure to use their Unsweetened versions. So that's my "creamer" for my coffee. I use Da Vinci SF Syrups to sweeten it up.

Of course you may follow me on my journey to maintaining the weight loss -- I hope you won't be bored! And very soon, I'll be following you on your own maintenance journey!!!

Jo =]
Old 06-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggles4me View Post
Just Jo,
I see you went from coffee creamer (the same one I drink now) to Almond breeze/coconut blend unsweetened, When did you know it was time to switch???
It's the flavored coffee creamer that gives me to many carbs..
I knew it was time to switch when I saw the amount of kcals and carbs in those products. I'm also calculating kcals along with the carbs and I try very hard to not do more than 1400 kcals on any one day. The "milk" products as I mentioned above to gracie, are very low kcals and hardly any carbs. 8 oz (1c) = 30-45 kcals and <1 or 1 gram of carbs... I love drinking lots of coffee with cream so this was the perfect match for me. And coffee has never stalled me so it's a win-win.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
I think Iíve lost another pound. I am not going to change my stats yet. The BF is starting to get concerned that I may be developing an eating disorder... Wow ďFat JoĒ with an eating disorder -- thatís unheard of. Well wasnít being morbidly obese and overeating also an eating disorder? I told him to be patient with me and that Iím trying to work all of this out.
^ Well said - people are quick to jump on controlled eating as being an 'eating disorder' yet uncontrolled eating that's harming, even killing, someone is just 'one of those things.'

I've done A LOT of reading about eating disorders over the years, and superficially the things ED sufferers describe can appear to resemble the tactics of successful dieters, for example allocating points, which is a mainstay of WW, compared to the way an eating-disordered person may decide to eat in 'units' of 80cals or whatever, or the tactic of eating meals seated, at one specific place so that's the only area associated with food, but under the appearances, the underlying psychological and emotional framework is COMPLETELY different.

Only you really know what's going on, and I personally think you're very wisely treating food like someone who had a medically 'approved' and diagnosed allergy to carbs would reasonably be expected to do, and it does seem like you have that kind of seriously bad reaction.

Over the long term, small amounts of calories (probably not carbs) might need some tweaking in maintenance, but nonetheless you've achieved something the lack of which KILLS people everyday.

I think we live in a society that has so widely associated food (especially high-carb foods) with 'good times, rewards, treats' etc that anyone who can seriously control themselves round the stuff is almost seen as having some weird disorder - which is insane, especially when so many people a year are being crippled and killed by excess consumption.

Sorry if I'm ranting! Just my opinions, and obviously, I'm not a doctor etc etc...
Old 06-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

PS - sorry if I sounded critical of your BF there, he obviously cares about you and is probably concered of losing you to another extreme end of the spectrum... my DH is immensely opposed to me dieting in any form but that's because he worries it takes over my mind (which it sometimes has when I was calorie counting - CAD, so far, is proving remarkably different because I'm not weighing & measuring 3 x a day!) - I'm grateful he's looking out for me but there are some things he can't understand, for all kinds of reasons, and I have to do what's right for me because if the light is set to GREEN FOR GO on every type and amount of food, I will eat myself sick and miserable. Just wanted to add that on!
Old 06-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
^ Well said - people are quick to jump on controlled eating as being an 'eating disorder' yet uncontrolled eating that's harming, even killing, someone is just 'one of those things.'

I've done A LOT of reading about eating disorders over the years, and superficially the things ED sufferers describe can appear to resemble the tactics of successful dieters, for example allocating points, which is a mainstay of WW, compared to the way an eating-disordered person may decide to eat in 'units' of 80cals or whatever, or the tactic of eating meals seated, at one specific place so that's the only area associated with food, but under the appearances, the underlying psychological and emotional framework is COMPLETELY different.

Only you really know what's going on, and I personally think you're very wisely treating food like someone who had a medically 'approved' and diagnosed allergy to carbs would reasonably be expected to do, and it does seem like you have that kind of seriously bad reaction.

Over the long term, small amounts of calories (probably not carbs) might need some tweaking in maintenance, but nonetheless you've achieved something the lack of which KILLS people everyday.

I think we live in a society that has so widely associated food (especially high-carb foods) with 'good times, rewards, treats' etc that anyone who can seriously control themselves round the stuff is almost seen as having some weird disorder - which is insane, especially when so many people a year are being crippled and killed by excess consumption.

Sorry if I'm ranting! Just my opinions, and obviously, I'm not a doctor etc etc...
Wow! That was powerful -- keep your rants coming!! I only disagree with one point you made... and it's this one:

Quote:
Take out the "I think" part and it's PERFECT.

Thanks for sharing your insight!! You are so eloquent!
Old 06-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
PS - sorry if I sounded critical of your BF there, he obviously cares about you and is probably concered of losing you to another extreme end of the spectrum... my DH is immensely opposed to me dieting in any form but that's because he worries it takes over my mind (which it sometimes has when I was calorie counting - CAD, so far, is proving remarkably different because I'm not weighing & measuring 3 x a day!) - I'm grateful he's looking out for me but there are some things he can't understand, for all kinds of reasons, and I have to do what's right for me because if the light is set to GREEN FOR GO on every type and amount of food, I will eat myself sick and miserable. Just wanted to add that on!
No worries Tara... about my BF. I loved this part of your statement:
if the light is set to GREEN FOR GO on every type and amount of food, I will eat myself sick and miserable." That's me to a T.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:18 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Friday, 20 June 2014

The 5th of July is right around the corner, my PERSONAL Independence Day where I committed myself to eating clean 100% every day (no cheats) and not let ďFat JoĒ (my carb loving self-destructive alter ego) continue to influence what I ate! Granted I lost 15 pounds in the six weeks leading up to my Independence Day 5 July 2013 -- but I wasnít 100% committed mind, body and soul.

July 5th was not the day I had the epiphany that changed my life forever about this being a WOE and not a diet. Iím not really sure when that finally hit me. It really doesnít matter WHEN -- it only matters that it DID!

I am so grateful that I finally had that insight. I now know I am a recovering morbidly obese carb addict. For me to continue to be successful, unlike other addicts who must avoid their drugs of choice, I must be ever vigilant about the number and types of carbs I do consume. Because letís face it, if youíre a meth addict, you can stop buying meth -- but people have to EAT, thereís no way around that. I just have to continue to make the proper food choices so that I will be successful at keeping the weight off!

I am so blown away that crappy carb-y foods have not tempted me. In the past, thinking about crappy carb-y food use to make my mouth water and actually the thought of eating them now makes me want to gag! Seriously, I canít recall the last time I had a moment of weakness around those toxic, poisonous, insidious, crappy killer carbs. Itís a mindset I suppose. I donít even look at the food Iím allowed to eat the same way either. I donít eat it to reward myself, celebrate events/holidays or even to socialize -- itís only a way to nourish my body, nothing more. Interesting huh?
Old 06-20-2014, 03:21 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

The realization that this was not a diet was before 23 Feb 2014, because I wrote this in my journal:

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”
(2.23.14)