Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Niki_D
Stats: 255/240/150
WOE: HFLC/NK
Start Date: May 2014 (This time ;-P)
Niki_D's Journal - Losing the weight for the last time!

Ok. Well. Here I am…..again. Fat….again. Losing weight…..again.
I’m so sick and tired of never making to the goal. In the last 6 years I have been from 220 to 175 to 250 to 205 and back to 250. I’m tired of feeling fat and frumpy and rolly-poly. I KNOW low carb works for me. That’s how I lost weight the last 2 times, even though the first time I didn’t really know that I was doing low carb. Last year I lost 45 lbs doing low carb. And in the last 8 months gained it all back.

I’ve made up my mind. I’m only doing this one more time.

I WILL get to goal weight.
I WILL NOT let myself lapse back into not caring about myself and not putting myself first.
I WILL hold myself accountable (thus the journal)

My goal is to get to 150. From there I may go lower (I’m 5’6). I was about 140 when I met my husband 13 years ago. I have had a couple kids since then and I know my body won’t be the same (especially after being fat for a decade) but I’d like to get as close as possible to where I was then.

Right now I’m eating high-fat, low-carb, with carbs under 20 per day. I get good results with this WOE and want to stick with something tried and true. I have a tendency to over-analyze and try to make things tricky/fancy/complicated and this time I’m dedicated to KISS (keep it simple, stupid).

The kick-start weight loss ‘trigger’ for me this time was seeing pictures of myself at my daughter’s birthday party 2 weeks ago. I looked at myself and thought, “WTH, who is that woman?” I certainly didn’t feel that fat. I jumped on the scale the next morning. 253 lbs. How the heck did that happen?!?! That day I decided to get back on the low carb dinner train.Due to some previous engagements (dinner party and work gatherings)I did the best I could to cut out carby crap until I could rearrange my pantry.

Today (5/30/2014) is day 5 of true induction.

I am in ketosis, and there I will stay.

5/18/14 – 253 (starting weight)
5/30/14 – 242.2
May Results: -10.8lbs. Total Lost: -10.8 lbs

More thoughts later. Have to go be a taxi for the kiddos
Niki_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Further Ponderings

So, I started this journal for multiple reasons. The first reason came to me today as I was sitting at my desk at work thinking about losing weight. I was having some pretty deep and insightful thoughts (I don't remember exactly what they were, but they seemed important at the time) and wanted to put them somewhere that I could come back and look at them when I find myself wavering in my determination. Because that will happen. Probably in about 3-4 months. that seems to be the limits of my determination.

I'm not exactly sure where I lose focus. The two times I made a major weight loss effort, both times the effort waned around August/September. I don't know what exactly happens, if it's shorter daylight days, frustration with a plateau, the kids going back to school and picking up extracurricular activities, or a combination of all of these. Maybe if I log my thoughts and activities I can get myself past the 3-4 month hump.

I have a goal date. I know that set dates can backfire, but this is important to me. The end of May, 2015, we are going on a family trip to Hawaii. My sister and her family are going, my parents are going, and my aunt is going. We did the same thing last year, and I was a miserable 225 lbs. I went paddle boarding, and laid out by the pool, but I wasn't completely comfortable doing it. I want to be comfortable running around in sundresses and bathing suits. I want to take family pictures and not feel like the family cow. So I have a year. 100 lbs is completely do-able in 12 months, right? I'm going to try my hardest to make the goal, even as I keep in the back of my mind that it's a pretty ambitious goal. That's OK. I always perform better under pressure.

The second major goal with this journal is ACCOUNTABILITY. If I make it a personal rule that I need to post daily here, then my WOE and keeping on track will always be foremost in my mind. Knowing that people are reading my thoughts and following my progress will hopefully help me stick to my guns and keep on track, even through my mental blocks. So y'all feel free to comment on here

So, food wise, I aim for around 1500 calories and am happy if I'm within +/- 250cals for the day. My macros tend to be C5%, F70-75%, P20-25%. I eat whole foods, basically meat, veggies, high fat dairy, CO/MCT and EVOO.

I have a treadmill and an elliptical that I currently use sporadically. I'm giving myself a few weeks to become keto-adapted before I get on an exercise regimen. I think I burned myself out last year with exercise. I did a round of Chalean Extreme, and did 2x week yoga. The CLX worked awesomely - I lost soooo many inches and about 14 lbs in 90 days. But the cycle ended and my yoga instructor moved and kids went back to school all at the same time and I never picked back up on the exercise. So I need to get into something that will not end. I want to get back into jogging/running but my knees can't handle my weight right now so it's going to be walking and elliptical until I lose some of this weight. I definitely want to do the CLX again, but again, I want to be less fat when I do it.

So for right now, I'm sticking to keeping my food on track. If I feel so inspired I will get on the treadmill or elliptical, but my plan for the month of June is just to focus on diet. At the end of the month, I will reevaluate.

Thanks for reading! Will check back in tomorrow
Old 05-31-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I went clothes shopping last week. The dressing room mirrors are not forgiving. Hated it. Can't wait to like the body I see in the mirror. I like myself just fine, I just don't like the package I'm wrapped in right now.

Hope everyone has a great Saturday. I have a birthday party to take my 7yo to. I'm going to have to turn down the sangria and wine. Hopefully no one will be too poopy about that. I'll have to eat right before I go so I'm not tempted by all the goodies I know will be there. None of my mom friends follow a low-carb WOE, and they don't understand.

My BFF has never been overweight, unless you count the weight she gained when she was pregnant which she lost by 4 months post partum. She loves pasta, bread, fruit, and is on the low-fat bandwagon. At 5'7" she can maintain at 135 with her WOE and doesn't understand LC. So I don't talk to her about what I eat. She also doesn't eat red meat (gasp!) so planning dinners with her family are a challenge, lol.

Anyway, those are my ramblings for now. Off to do some laundry. Exciting!

TTYL
Old 06-01-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Headed out to go fishing this morning with the hubs and oldest DD. Feeling good today, all the grumpiness from the first few days of induction seems to be gone. Mood is much better now

Had a good evening last night visiting with my SIL. She's lost weight on LC before, so it was nice to be able to talk to someone about that. She and her assisstant (they run a daycare) are starting induction tomorrow, so I'll have a little friendly competition to keep me going.

TTYL
~Niki
Old 06-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Happy Monday!

I had a drink Saturday night. Vodka with club soda and lime. It made me Soooo sick!! It's happened to me before and I had forgotten the effect it has on me. A small glass of wine doesn't do the same thing, but any more than that, and any hard alcohol will make me toss my cookies :-/ It also makes me retain water, I'm up 2 lbs today since Saturday morning. I'm eating super clean today, just coffee w/Hwc, eggs with mayo and chicken thighs tonight. Weekdays are always easier than weekends, even though I did really well (other than the drink) this weekend. Anyways, I'll just be saying no to alcohol for the foreseeable future :-)
Old 06-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I've been feeling good the last couple days. Had a bunch of energy to clean the house after work yesterday. Had very little appetite today, had coffee with HWC, 4 hard boiled eggs (2 for breakfast and 2 for lunch) and some sunflower seeds. Need to figure out what to eat for dinner. Just me and my oldest DD tonight. Hubby took the younger DD to a fishing club meeting with him.

Still getting mild headaches in the afternoon - kinda feels like my brain is fatigued. I'm guessing that's my acclimating to ketones as fuel. I feel better if I get up and walk - take the stairs in my office a few times. I am sleeping really well, except some nights I have to get up to pee a time or two. Took a drive to run a bid (I work for a general contractor) so got to get out of the office today. The only downside to that is that I don't drink as much water when i'm out of the office because I'm not right next to a bathroom. I'm more mindful of my water consumption when I'm at my desk.

Looking forward to this weekend. I'm taking Friday off to be with my kids. It's hard during the summer because I work full time. My sister is an RN so she only works 3 days a week, and my bff is off on Mondays, so my girls go there, and to my mom's when both sis and bff are working. Planning on laying out by the pool Friday and saturday, it's supposed to be up in the low 100's. Sunday we have a graduation party to go to.

Off to go make dinner. TTYL
Old 06-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Hi!

I'm staying on point food-wise. Energy level is much better. Sleep is OK, I'm sleeping hotter than usual and waking up too hot.

Nothing exciting to report. My last workday of the week is tomorrow. Friday will be spent drinking water by the pool with a book while the kids swim.

Planning on taking the kids to see Maleficent tomorrow evening.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Weigh in day!

5/30/14 – 242.2

6/6/14 - 240.2 :-)
Old 06-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Fighting the (carb) munchies this evening. Mostly because the kids popped popcorn for snack this afternoon and it smells yummy. Having some decaf espresso with HWC to battle them. Done eating for the day so hopefully this will satisfy :-)
Old 06-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Hanging out at home with the family today. Super hot outside (105*) and I got too much sun Friday so we're hanging out in the AC watching the Giants game. Made deviled eggs for snack this afternoon, everyone here loves them. DH made lunch earlier, slices of tomato with a scoop of tuna salad and a small slice of chipotle cheddar cheese toasted in the oven, topped with Chaloula hot sauce on top. Super delicious!

DH is cutting down on carbs to try to lose weight too. He's got about 60 extra lbs to lose. He's not as low on carbs as I am, but has cut out bread and most sugar, and he lost 3 lbs this week. He is focusing more closely on whole foods, eating mostly just meat and veggies, and not really counting macros. He says that he requires more food variety than I do, so he is the one who tries the creative stuff in the kitchen I'm certainly not complaining! It definitely is more motivating to have him along on this journey.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

I'm feeling bloated this evening. Had a couple servings of pork rinds this afternoon and think they didn't agree with me. Also decided that I can't make a full 18 deviled eggs because I will eat them like candy. My whole family loves them, but I ate more than I should have I think it's just too much food these last two days. Going to reduce food quantity tomorrow. Planning on BPC for breakfast, bullion with butter for lunch and 2-3 drumsticks for dinner tomorrow night. Maybe a HB egg w/mayo for snack if I'm hungry. I'll eat light for a couple days and I know I will feel better for it.

Have been doing reading on the effects of exercise on weight loss. Pretty interesting stuff. Right now reading Phinney and Volek's The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. What I've concluded so far from my reading is that exercise makes no appreciable difference in fat loss, but it is good for general health and fitness, not to mention lifting is good for making pretty muscles :-) I'm planning on focusing on fat loss first, then 'sculpting' I've been where I want to be before, although it was 14 years and two kids ago. Hoping I can get near to where I was then.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JohnAndHisCat
WOE: General low-carb, bit of a Ketogenic focus
Start Date: February 2014
Keep it up Niki!

I was talking to one of my sisters the other day and she said she did low carb for a few years and did lose a lot of weight, but she gave it up because she couldn't hold off from eating bread anymore - LOL! Then she gained it all back again. When I asked her how much she weighed she refused to tell me. :-/

Don't let that happen to you!
JohnAndHisCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Hi John :-)

I've been really focusing on getting my mind in the game long-term (forever). My mom is pre-diabetic and I don't want to go down that road if I can help it. I want to lose weight, keep it off, and maintain low blood glucose readings for the rest of my life and I know this is the way to do it Once I get to goal, I will add some more veggies and a few fruits back in and see if I can maintain, but I'm not close to that point yet.

Thanks for chiming in!
Old 06-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Weigh in day!

5/30/14 – 242.2