Stats:
27 yrs old
5'7"
Currently:251 lbs
Started 5/8/14 @ 264
Currently Sz 20 pants
Current goal: 200 lbs
Second goal: 150 lbs
Final Goal: will depend on how I look and feel upon reaching 2nd goal.
Currently eating under 20 carbs a day.

So this is my second time going low carb. the last time, in 2010, started out pretty successful. I lost approximately 30 lbs in 3 months. I had reached 218 and was just starting to fit into a size 14 jeans which i hadn't been able to do size i was a teenager. I felt great! But I made a lot of mistakes, i rarely kept up on my journal, i didn't seek out support from knowledgeable people, and i did little research on how the human body and metabolism works. One day after a long weekend of cheating on my diet I realized I was still losing weight! imagine the joy of my tiny carb coveting brain! Since i hadn't done my homework i wistfully thought i had transformed my metabolism into those of thin people who seem to eat whatever they want and stay the same size. I continued to lose weight for a time but i paid less attention to what i ate and spent less time on the scale. of course eventually weight loss came to a halt and i have steadily gained since reaching my all time heaviest @ 264. All i can say is that i was under educated, and probably not ready for the life long commitment that is involved.
Now I am 19 days in and 13lbs lighter. I am not as active as i was in my previous attempt. At times i deal with crushing depression and it is difficult to get up and get active but i am working on it. I have cheated once, my second week in I had 3 peices of rocky rocco's pizza. God, was it good lol but man did i pay for it! My digestive system was in utter turmoil for the next 24hrs. I decided then that cheating is not going to be allowed for now. its probably to early to brag but I have had an iron will since then in the face of many temptations, especially over this holiday weekend. And today i had a small success, a shirt that used to be too tight is now very loose. woohoo!
This time around I am very determined and i need to be, not just to lose weight. Nearly everyone on my mom's side of the family suffers from diabetes and/or heart disease and i have no doubt that it WILL afflict me if i don't do something now. I want to feel healthy and fit until i die, not suffer until i die. I've made other changes in life were i can, switching to fluoride free toothpaste, purified water, aluminum free deodorant, organic foods when i can afford it. MY next biggest challenge will be quitting smoking. This will be one of the most important pieces of fine tuning this organic machine of mine. When i do exercise my muscles and mind are willing to push the limits but of course my lungs often aren't willing to participate.
I know that this time around will be a life long success! With this journal, my food tracker app, meticulous tracking of weight/measurements and ongoing research i have never put more effort into my own health. I am also setting an example for my husband who is diabetic and he has adopted many of the health changes that i have!
cjw77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cjw77
Stats: 264/251/150
WOE: very low carb
Start Date: 5/8/2014
So today did lots of heavy yard work. rototilled the backyard and raked it to level it all out, moved a few stacks of heavy patio bricks. It was hard work and i sweated like a pig but my energy held out till the end, which is a lot longer than i thought it would. had 4 oz salmon and a cup of green beans both slathered in butter. desert was 2 tbsps of reduced sugar natural peanut butter and 1 tbsp of no sugar added marmalade. today i was able to bring my fat intake up a bit but still need more, protein was about right, got in 18 carbs and calories were still under 1000 at 800. drank lots and lots of water. the scale hasn't moved in 2 days so i hoping for good news when i step on it in the morning. i wont be discouraged if it hasn't, or even if it goes up a bit. after all i did fit into a shirt i couldn't wear before.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:02 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I am 1 lbs lighter this morning, its not huge but i will take it. breakfast = 4 slices reduced sodium bacon, 3 cage free eggs, coffee+ 1 tbsp of coconut oil = 38g fat & 26.28g of protein, 472 calories. sore this morning but not too bad, its mostly in my hands from gripping the rake and rototiller. Hopefully i dont have to do much hand scissoring on the dogs today (i'm a groomer). overall feeling strong and positive!
Old 05-27-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Hi! I'd like to follow along with you. Have a good day. Congrats on the pound lost!
CarolinaCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the support carolina!

yesterday i was getting kind of bored with the standard veggie and slab of meat dinner, i haven't been very creative so far. So i cooked a big hamburger seasoned with cumin, sea salt and garlic, put it on a bed of sauteed multi-colored bell peppers and topped with some home made guacamole, a dollop of sour cream, cheddar cheese and a bit of green salsa and half a diced tomato. was very taste and very filling! it also boosted my fat intake to 104g, which has been wallowing in the 40-60 g range. according to online calculators i should be getting about 125 g of fat and 69 g of protein.
the scale tells me i haven't lost anything additional yet, still at 250. thats ok, at first i was losing pounds nearly every day and i'm sure it will pick up again soon. maybe increase water. i have been drinking more water than i ever have but have not been keeping close track and is probably still not enough.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:35 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

this morning i'm up a pound and back to 251. I'm a little disappointed. when i did this in 2010 i had consistent daily loss for 3 months until i fell off the wagon. I can only think of 2 reasons for this: 1) i was 4 yrs younger, 2) i had a very physical job then, it was like working out 40 hrs a week, no lie, i was even getting muscle definition in my flabby arms and someone once asked if i played tennis because my legs looked like they belonged to a white serena williams. lol. I wish i had kept it up, i'd be in really good shape now. there is a Blast fitness around the corner from my house that i plan on joining as soon as i have they extra $. its only $10 a month but i believe the sign up fee is $50. This year is definitely a year of change, we are working on getting healthy, filed for bankruptcy but ironically have started to make better money (even so it would take us our entire life times to get out of debt if not for this bankruptcy, still it was a very hard decision to make.).
My husband, who is an insulin dependent diabetic, has been following my WOE though not as strictly but we can already see a major change in his blood sugar numbers. He is consistently running too low and i've had to remind him several times to take smaller shots and for god's sake check his sugar before taking it to see if he even needs one. it drives me crazy that most of the time he only relies on how he "feels" verse actually checking to make sure. what is it with men?

last night i made a modified Italian style meatloaf (no bread only eggs and some flax seed, on top i poured some organic marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese) and a side of garlic mashed cauliflower. meatloaf was ok, not really a fan of meatloaf to begin with but hubby likes it. the mashed cauliflower i thought was tasty at first, maybe because i was really hungry, but a few bites in it made me want to gag. i do love veggies and cauliflower especially but i do not think i will be mashing it again.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BubblyRen
Stats: 253/210/feeling healthy!, 5'5", 26
WOE: Generic LC
Start Date: 12/31/13
Hey there! I can't get into mashed cauliflower either-- I've tried it a few times and just yuck! I do like it "riced" though, so maybe you could give that a try! Anyway, sounds like you're doing great. Keep it up!
BubblyRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:04 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Yesterday I had more carbs than the usual 12 or so. I had about 28 spread throughout the day. Wasn't particularly active pretty much just watched movies half the day but did take my dogs on a nice long walk. They needed it as much as I did, they stay lean but they are as lazy as I am and that long walk kicked their butts. I have a difficult time getting started but once I do I want to keep on going. Weightloss Haas been stagnant last few days as you can see above. Bounced between 250 and 251 pretty much all week ending with 251 on friday. This morning I am 249, not sure if its the start of another downward trend but I hope so. Just have to keep on keeping on! I've accepted that this how I'm eating the rest of my life and I know if I'm patient my body weight will eventually be were it needs to be.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Niki_D
Stats: 255/240/150
WOE: HFLC/NK
Start Date: May 2014 (This time ;-P)
Hi! I'm following along as well, I have similar weight loss goals and diet :-) I lost 40lbs last summer doing this then for some reason slipped back into the carbage. I'm working on making this a permanent WOE now, no trying to convince myself that a little bit of carbs are OK, because for me, they obviously aren't!
Niki_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:25 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

hey Niki, Congratulations for getting back on the horse and your success so far!

A lot of sites say not to weight yourself daily as it can fluctuate several pounds throughout the day. Some people may get discouraged. I weigh myself every morning and record it in my phone app because i like the little line chart it shows and think it will be cool to look at when i reach my goal. Weight loss has really slowed down last 2 weeks. last week i fluctuated between 251 and 250, this week it looks like i'll be fluctuating between 250 and 249. one step forward, one step back, two steps forward, one step back is how it looks like its going to go lol. its ok, i have plenty of time, i've only set a loose time frame of when i'd like to reach goal. i'd like to be at goal by time i'm 30 in 2 1/2 yrs, which i'm sure is way more than enough time. I spent my teens and 20's over weight, i'm not going to live my 30's and beyond the same way. Especially with so much diabetes and heart disease running on both sides of my family i need to do something now. Im more than a little suspicious that i may have a slow thyroid or at least an iodine deficiency. my thyroid #'s have always been low but still with in "normal" range, problem with that is people don't all fit in the same little box. a low normal can really be deficiency in some. i'm also thinking of doing some kind of liver detox, a sluggish liver can mean sluggish weight loss. While i do feel better after starting this WOE i still feel that my body is not running at its best. Taking a multivitamin now and high dose vitamin c, about 3,000mg and increasing till intolerance. If feel the c has really boosted energy and is a great detoxifier.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:35 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
If you think you may be low on iodine, you can take sea kelp. Some online sites even have free shipping. I think Puritan's Pride does.
CarolinaCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:44 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Thank you, i have checked into a few sites. there are a few organic food stores around here i want to check out too, sometimes they have unusual or hard to find items. before this i had several symptoms of iodine deficiency, chronic fatigue, depression, some hair loss ect. like i said i have more energy now but still feel my systems are under performing.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Tuesday morning i was still 250 so i did a 12 hr fast only drinking tons of water and several cups of concentrated liver detox tea. For Dinner i had homemade guacamole and a red bell pepper to dip in it. Wednesday morning i was 249. had bulletproof coffee for breakfast, can of tuna mixed with mayo and a few slices of swiss cheese for lunch, early dinner was a 93/7 hamburger patty topped with some shredded cheddar, home made guacamole and half a diced tomato. minor activity through housekeeping, up and down stairs a dozen times doing laundry and cleaning out basement. this morning i am 248. this morning i'm going to have coffee with just the coconut oil and have some more detox tea.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
sounds like you are doing great ! I'll be following to see your progress !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Since I last post my weight has just been bouncing up and down between 249 and 250. I'm not really discouraged but can't help feeling that I'm doing something wrong. Carbs have been really low sometimes as low as only 6 on one day and reaching my recommend fat & protein numbers. But it just hasn't seemed to make a big difference. I drink 4-5 16 oz bottles of water at work and another 2-3 when I get home, along with tea and coffee, I feel like I am getting sufficient fluids but maybe still not enough? Yesterday I had more carbs than I have in a while, about 26 net carbs. I had 3 eggs and 3 pieces turkey bacon for breakfast, but only ended up eating 2 of the eggs because I felt full. I was at work for 10 hours due to being over booked, had 2 massive standard poodles that are very naughty and take forever to groom and 2 smaller dogs that took up the last 3_4 hours of my day. Wrestling with 2 big dogs for 6 hrs could be considered exercise but o did.t record it in my app as that, I just put 9 hrs of standing. I had a 6 oz carton of raspberries I munched on throughout the day. It was after 7 when I got home and didn't want to eat too heavy but was definitely hungery. Mashed up an avocado with a spoonful of sour cream and dash of garlic salt, and cut up a yellow pepper to dip in it and had a handful of smoked almonds. Hence I had more carbs than I have in a while but this morning I am 2 bps lighter at 247. I hesitate to get too excited about it. maybe my body does better on more carbs? I'll try and duplicate what I ate yesterday and see what happens.

Also something interesting, last saturday had a since day at the zoo with the hubby. Easily passed up offers of ice cream, hot dogs, giant pretzels, and delicious smelling popcorn. Afterwards we were pretty hungery and he really wanted to take me to a nice restaurant. I hesitated at first but I eventually gave in. I figured I'd had some good exercise walking several hours and I have been loyal to my way of eating and that as long as I stayed loyal I could break habit once in a great while. We went to a nice Mexican place by our house. I had beef barbacoa haurrache, think that's how its spelled, which is basically marinated shredded beef on a flat fried thick tortilla and topped with lettuce tomato shredded cheese and avocado with a side of rice and beans. I ate about 3/4 of the plate. I had 1 small margarita, and we split a fried ice cream for desert. It was all delicious. I felt fine but I went to bed I woke up about 30 min later and puked my guts out then had horrible diarrhea the rest of the night. Jason was fine, he had some of what I ate and it didn't affect him and he has a more sensative stomach than me so I don't think food was bad. I hadn't had grains or refined sugars in a very long time and I think my system wa actively rejecting it! Sorry for sharing the disgusting details but this incident has made me even more hesitante to deviate from my woe.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
sorry that meal made you sick :/ It sounded really good ! Way to go realizing that off plan food makes your stomach upset. I need to remember that too.
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:55 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

i think its still too early to tell if i'm over my stall but i am down another pound this morning @ 246. had same amount of carbs as tuesday, half of them coming from raspberries. are raspberries my miracle food maybe? we will see!
Old 06-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Overall things are still going smoothly. I am 243 now. I am not unhappy with losing 3 lbs in the 8 days since my last post, fat is certainly not coming off as quickly as i'd like but i will take slow and steady over nothing any day. I've started doing muscle testing, look it up on google to find more detailed info, but essentially it is asking my body what it wants or needs. I know of 2 ways but i hear there is others. the first which i feel has stronger results requires a second person. I will hold one arm out and a food or supplement in my opposite hand. I will ask myself if my body wants the item and then the other person will gentle try to push my arm down. If my body wants it my arm will hold steady if it does not want it my muscle weakens and the arm is easily pushed down. if my body does agree it needs the item i will ask different amounts until my arm is able to be pushed down. this morning i asked if my body wanted eggs. the conversation went something like this:
Me:does my body want this egg?
Body: yes
Me: does me body want two eggs?
body: yes
me: does my body want 3 eggs?
me: does my body want 4 eggs?
body: no
me: does my body want 3 eggs?
body yes
me:does my body want 4 eggs?
body: no
i then asked about raspberries.
Body: yes
me: does my body want 1 cup of raspberries?
Body: no
me: does my body want 1/2 a cup of raspberries?
body:no
me: does my body want 1/4 a cup of raspberries?
repeated the last two questions and received the same answers so i had 3 eggs and 1/4 cup of raspberries for breakfast. I also asked about organic butter and only 1 tblsp was requested, and i did the same for my vitamin C supplement, 3000 mg was requested.
some people may think its silly but for me i get consistent enough answers to make me believe it works. i think of it as a bit of a science project. last night i took out a jar of natural peanut butter and a jar of organic almond butter. i did the first muscle test i talked about several times with both items. when i held the peanut butter i could not hold my arm up on any try, when i held the almond butter my arm could not be pushed down on any try. i then tried them intermittently saying "this is good for my body". the peanut butter was always a no and the almond butter was always a yes, i even tried it with the opposite arms with the same results.
the second muscle testing, or sway testing, is more subtle and can be done alone. you hold a food/supplement in one hand and hold it against your chest and place your other hand over it and with your feet shoulder length apart you ask "is this good for my body" or "this is good for my body". theory is that if the item is needed or wanted by your body at the time your body will be pulled forward towards the item or if it is not wanted or needed your body will sway backward or recoil away from the item. pretty interesting stuff. as i've only recently tried this type of testing i can't yet vouch for its consistency and its results. I've read that the negative energy in the vicinity of where you are can throw off your own energy fields and affect results.

Some other results my body has told me:
that it doe not want regular store bought beef but did want a grass feed hormone/antibiotic free sirloin steak but not the whole thing, only half.
it consistently wants coconut oil but does not regularly want organic butter and when it does it is limited to 1 -2 tbsps a day. it has requested up to 4 cups of bell peppers, which makes me think it is really desiring a certain nutrient in the peppers. it has requested 2 slices of 12 grain bread (which i am not eating, no grains for me) but did not want any white bread.
my husband suggests that maybe my arm just gets tired and that is why i can't keep it up on certain foods, but my mind goes back to the peanut butter/almond butter experiment. I could not for the life of me keep my arm up while i was holding the peanut butter and my arm could not be pushed down at all while i was holding the almond butter. lol which saddens me cause i LOVE peanut butter. this really doesn't sound like just a tired arm to me. I would be interested in what others think and if theyt have tried this themselves.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:51 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

since i last posted my weight jumped up and down a few times. but i am now 240. i tried a few recipes with almond and coconut flour. i made a pizza and 2 batches of muffins, one blueberry and 1 raspberry. i used stevia to lightly sweet the muffins. while they were tasty it did make my weight go up and had me in the bathroom quite often. it also seems that if i reach my recommended fat & protein intake my weight loss starts to stutter, if calories creep above 1200 calories it slows as well.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

This week I did a 48 fast to kind of clean things out/ give things a break. It was much easier than I anticipated. I also feel it helped me fine tune my determination and strengthend my self discipline. I feel I am better equipped to overcome sudden cravings, which are happening less and less often but can be strong when they do pop up. I'm 236 now and my clothes are getting pretty loose. Have to wear a belt to keep my pants up. Don't really want to buy new clothes yet when they will be too big in a couple months. I do have a bag of size 15/16 clothes from a few years ago, ill just wear my size 22/20 until I can fit into them. I may look a little silly till then but oh well, that's never been a huge concern for me. Sometimes I feel that its not going fast enough but then I remind myself that I've lost nearly 30lbs in 2 months and that's pretty damn good. Though I've never been what you'd call slim it took years to get to my highest weight @ 264 and it will take sometime to get rid of it and in reality is taking less time to loose what I've taken off than the time it took to put it on.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
You're doing very well, losing almost 30 pounds in two months is awesome.
Have you read the book Wheat Belly? If you haven't, maybe you can get it from your library. It's an eye opener about the way wheat affects our body--and would explain the violent reaction you had to your restaurant meal. Keep up the good work and you'll be in your smaller clothes before you know it.

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bubbles1234
WOE: Low Carb
You are doing fantastic, keep up the great work!
bubbles1234 is online now   Reply With Quote