LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KetoMama
WOE: Ketogenic/under 20 grams
Start Date: 5.22.14
My Journey into Ketosis

Hi All,

I figured I should start a journal to somehow record this crazy journey that I am about to embark on.

To begin with: I'm 24 years old, female, wife to my smokin' hot hubby and mom to the sweetest 1 year old boy. My life is truly blessed.

I am no stranger to low carb. When I was 18 years old, I did a 6 month protein sparing modified fast under a doctor's supervision. I had very limited protein amounts, very limited low carb veggie allotments and absolutely NO added fat allowed. The calorie average per day was about 500. I lost ~55 pounds, but ended up very sick and tired from a diet that contained so little food, and especially, so little FAT.

From there I moved on to normal LC, gained all the weight back, went ZC for an extended period of time lost and gained, got married, got pregnant, had my son and kind of fell off any sort of dieting plan altogether.

Fast forward to today, I am at my heaviest weight EVER -- even heavier than the day that I gave birth, and am ready for a change. I have stopped nursing, and so I am at a place where I can experiment on my body without worrying about losing my milk supply or not providing enough nutrients for my son. I know that I tolerate carbs VERY poorly - even carbs from veggies. I also know that I cannot just eat as much meat as I want and expect to lose weight. I need something more structured, more scientific, something that I am able to monitor in a more scientific way than I have in the past.

Tomorrow will be my first full keto day, and I couldn't be more excited. I am going to start out trying to keep my protein under 71 grams per day and my carbohydrates under 20 grams and then eat as much fat as I want, with no calorie restrictions. I know from experience that by restricting my protein and fat, my body will naturally stay lower calorie. You can only eat so much fat before your body, um, releases it quickly...

I'm excited to be a part of this community. I found that community support was so helpful when I was ZC, and I know that this community will be greatly encouraging and inspirational as I continue on in my food journey.

Eats for tonight's dinner:
2 chicken thighs
"Fat" tea (decaf tea with coconut oil and hwc)
KetoMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Today marks Day 1. I'm excited and prepared. Of course, I plan to start trying to get into ketosis when it is a). my TOM and b). the day before my husband, baby and I are heading out of town to visit my in-laws for the weekend. Oh well. There's always something that comes up. I can't think of a good time to start something so exacting and precise as a ketogenic diet.

Today is going to be super busy. I have a few hours of teaching/meetings, errands to run, the house to clean, the three of us to pack and cooking for our trip. I'm thinking the best road trip food for me will be some hard boiled eggs, cheese, chicken drumsticks and hwc for tea and coffee.

I love road trips. The uninterrupted time with my husband is so valuable and it will be a great getaway!!!

Have a wonderful Thursday!
Old 05-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

We got back from our loooong roadtrip last night. The trip went well, food wise. I wasn't able to maintain a ketogenic diet, but I did stay low carb and I know that will help me as I now work to get into ketosis here at home.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Getting back into my keto routine was much easier than expected. Tuesday I ate a few more carbs than I should have, but yesterday was an absolutely perfect day.

I ate:

BF - 2 pieces of bacon, 2 eggs and homemade hollaindaise sauce (egg yolk, butter, lemon, cayenne); plus 2 cups of coffee and about 1/2 cup hwc.

Lunch - nothing, too busy and not hungry

Dinner - 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs, and a slice of a lamb roast; 2 glasses of wine

Last night I checked my ketone levels on the blood meter. It read 0.3, so I'm not in ketosis, yet, but I am getting there. Hopefully I'll be at 0.5 soon!

Tonight is our date night, and my husband is taking me to an all you can eat Brazilian grill! I am definitely saving all my protein for tonight.

In other news, my blender broke, and I haven't gotten around to getting a new one. No bpc for me until I get another one.

Have a wonderful Thursday!

Old 05-31-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Copying and pasting from a post I wrote in a different thread yesterday:

Yesterday, was terrible for me in terms of food. My husband and I unexpectedly had to buy a new car. My husband's car had been having issues before we went to Idaho, so he took it in, and they gave us a rental to take on our trip. Long story short either they did a terrible repair job and punctured a hole in one of our cylinders OR they failed to fully inspect the car and look at the cylinders. We picked the car up Tuesday and yesterday when my husband drove to work the car started vibrating and puttering and when he checked the oil he found that it was bone dry. The damage to the car totaled it, and so yesterday we bought a 2014 Nissan Altima, a decision that totally stressed me out, but that I know is the right one for a myriad of reasons, most of which don't even have to do with the fact that my husband's car is now totaled.

The headache came in disputing the original $1600 that we paid to the mechanic on TUESDAY for a job that he either did too hastily or completely was negligent on that caused a hole to appear where there hadn't been one before we turned over the car. I hope the manager will be reasonable, because I really don't want to have to go to small claims court. Ugh.

Back to the food, we had planned on going to a Brazilian grill, and I was SO EXCITED. I didn't eat all day yesterday, so that I would be good and hungry, but by the time the whole car thing was finished it was nearly 10pm and I was STARVING. We obviously had to cancel our reservation at the Brazilian restaurant and had dinner at an Italian restaurant and ordered Tapas. I totally overdid it on the carbs. This morning I look like a swollen melon, my head aches, my fingers hurt from the inflammation, and my ketones are at .2. Bummer. I think the lesson I learned is that I need to be prepared. I need to keep some sort of snack with me and not get into a situation where I am too hungry.

It's definitely been a stressful year for us, so hopefully things will begin to turn around. I need some smooth sailing on my horizon. Thanks for letting me rant!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

So as expected my carb consumption caused a slight increase in weight (1 pound) and a decrease in ketones. It wasn't a big deal to me, because I knew exactly what to attribute it to. It was a tough situation, and my diet seemed less important than it usually does. I have no problem dusting myself off and moving on.

What really frustrates me is when I eat foods that are perfectly keto, keep my carbs under 20 and my protein under 80ish, and I still don't see a move in the scale or a change in ketones.

Here is what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast:
2 cups of coffee/ hwc

Lunch:
3 all beef hot dogs (nothing but beef and spices)
mayo

Dinner:
Pork chop with mushroom cream sauce (mushrooms, white wine, hwc, shallot, chives)
a little piece of 85% dark chocolate

This morning my weight was 223, and my ketones were at 0.1.

I think it was the dairy. I think that when I'm just have cream in my coffee and cook food in butter I'm okay, but when I'm adding more heavily dairy foods (a lot of cheese, cream sauce, etc.) I get into trouble.

It also might be the hot dogs, but I doubt it.

I'm not going to lie. I'm kind of bummed, but I know that with a few days of eating unsauced meats, eggs, and bacon I'll be back to normal, the scale will move down, and the ketones up. Until then I can cope with a puffy face, hands, and feet.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Niki_D
Stats: 255/240/150
WOE: HFLC/NK
Start Date: May 2014 (This time ;-P)
Hi! I just restarted HFLC/Keto diet myself. Hang in there! Stress definitely doesn't help weight loss. I bet you'll see the scale move in just a couple of keto days!

PS. Hope you don't mind me posting in your journal, just let me know if you don't
Niki_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Hi Niki! Thanks! No, please post away! How's keto going for you so far?
Old 05-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Keto is going good! It's been abut 8 months since I seriously did keto/lc, and I was retaining a bunch of water. I restarted lc a couple weeks ago and lost 5 lbs, I am 6 days in on strict keto (under 20 carbs total, usually under 10) and down 5 more lbs lbs as of yesterday. I know that's all water weight, but it still feels good not to be puffy
Old 05-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

That's the best part! I haven't been able to wear my wedding rings since I was about 20 weeks pregnant. I can't wait to be get those on again!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Happy Sunday!

Weight is back down to 221! It's not a loss, but at least I'm back to my starting place.

Food for yesterday:

BF - egg scramble with bacon, mushrooms, shallot, and chives; 2 cups of coffee with hwc

Lunch - 1 chicken thigh; 1/2 pickle

Snack - iced coffee with hwc

Dinner - meatloaf (ground beef, onion, parsley, basil, thyme, garlic, mizithra cheese, 2 eggs, sour cream)

Macro/Calorie counts for the day:
1426 calories
112g Fat
15g Carbs
78g Protein

So that is 4% carbs, 25% protein, and 71% Fat

This morning my weight was back down to 221, but my ketones were only at 0.1. I know that I ate carbs on Thursday, but by today I would have expected to be very near ketosis, if not already in. Oh well. I think I'm going to go back to the basics: scrambled eggs with butter for breakfast, and a steak or chicken thighs for dinner. Hopefully I'll be able to see both a change in the scale and in my ketones following a more stringent plan.

Tonight we have a wedding we are attending. Hopefully the food will be easily navigated!

Last edited by KetoMama; 06-01-2014 at 08:14 AM..
Old 06-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Have fun at the wedding!