Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Darrowby85
Stats: 287/218/135~
Start Date: 2009
Weight loss warrior on a rampage

Hello, everyone. I've been perusing the forums today and decided to join the ranks. I am a female from the USA.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes several years ago. My daughter and I lived together and she was one year away from high school graduation. At the time, I was 287 Lbs. I had let myself lapse into a habit of sedentary living and overeating. I remember the exact moment and reason that it started. I call this my crisis point. It is still too painful to talk about. I gave up on life and went into hiding at my home. It became a comfortable self induced prison of indulgence and apathy.

Many moons ago, my lowest weight was about 125 Lbs, which was perfect for my height and frame. I could wear anything I wanted, did aerobics and jogged, and felt terrific. After I had my daughter, I had baby weight left, but it was only about 15 Lbs. or so. I still felt good.

I neglected so much of life at my crisis point that I didn't even see a doctor regularly. Can't remember what induced me to go see one, but he tested my A1C and diagnosed me as diabetic. I didn't know much about it, but it horrified me. Both of my grandmothers were diabetic and they each lost a lower leg to it before they died. Anyway, he gave me a testing kit, a prescription for metformin, told me to get my glucose levels below 120 daily & lose weight, and sent me on my merry way.

I tried to adhere to to a low carbohydrate diet, but I was so uneducated that I failed. So, I just decided to eat Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, and vegetables for a while. I actually lost weight and got down to about 222 Lbs. It took a long time. Some of it was terribly hard, but part of it I didn't even notice that I had been losing weight. I was surprised to hear I had lost 24 Lbs. at one point. I maintained that for a while. After about 2 years I gained weight back and was up to 238. That felt as awful as 287 did. I had abandoned the diet and didn't even attempt to manage the diabetes anymore. I had stopped going to the doctor too.

About a year and a half ago, my allergies took a turn for the worse. I am allergic to dogs and we have three! So, I had to go to the doctor. I was in a new town, so this was a new doctor. My A1C was 11 and a meter test showed my blood glucose to be around 450. I've been trying half-heartedly to get it down ever since. Especially the last six months. I adore my new doctor and hate to disappoint her with bad readings. When I had tests done about 2-3 weeks ago, things were actually worse. The A1C went up, not down. I'm in the danger zone of the A1C chart.

I've been having nerve pain and numbness in my feet these last few months, so I decided it was time to successfully and seriously manage the diabetes and weight. I have lost 20 Lbs (down to 218) and my blood glucose is fluctuating between 170 and 272. The doctor has me on Levemir and Metformin.

I am mostly allergic to grass. I found this out after we moved to the country and got our third dog. We don't have any sidewalks here and almost nothing is paved. I would love to exercise by walking, but it is too hard on the uneven ground. Aerobics isn't an option yet, but probably will be soon. The motion hurts too much at this point. Exercise really has to be figured in and must be done soon. I am a lot more active than from several years ago and actually have a hard time sitting still lately.

I live with my fiance'. He weighs around 275 Lbs. by the looks of him. He would never tell me, of course. He was a small part of the problem of my eating habits. He LOVES pizza and wants it every day. I am so sick of pizza that I won't hardly have it anymore. It has to be a really good one (meaning from some place far away from our home) and even then it's just a slice, maybe two. We have separate meals now. There are waaaaaaay too many carbs and calories in pizza. He drinks about 7-8 cans of pepsi daily. Eating separately has been expensive and time-consuming, but the fruits of it has been weight loss and a lessening desire for all of the bad foods that he loves so much.

My short term goal has been to get to 215. A million moments ago, when I weighed 170, I was appalled. However, I still felt reasonably healthy. Sluggish, but not too bad. Next short term goal is to be below 200. That will feel like quite an accomplishment.

I am a work in progress and am happy to be moving in a positive direction.

Darrowby85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoxyRoller
Stats: 315/259.8/200 next weigh 9/1/14
WOE: Calorie controlled, average 75 carbs per day
Start Date: December 30, 2013

Lots of great people here, wisdom, inspiration, and interesting posts and recipes!
RoxyRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thank you, Roxy I almost don't want to do this, but am giving it a shot anyway.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Weight is at 218 today and yesterday. No gain is always a wonderful thing.

I was out of insulin for two days because the doctor told me to up the dosage and didn't notify the pharmacy. The insurance company wouldn't pay for a new bottle so soon. It's straightened out now, but my blood glucose is at 232. I was so disappointed this morning when I checked it. I had 120.7 carbs total and thought that the blood sugar would have gone down even without the insulin. Should be better for tomorrow.

I had a UTI for a while back at the end of April and felt so ill that I didn't feel like eating. That's what started my recent 20 Lb weight loss. Kind of just kept up with eating less since then. The UTI started when we were in Vegas, dang it. The weather there was amazing and we had a great time.

Triggers aren't happening anymore. Thank goodness! I did 'angry' eat about two weeks ago, but even that wasn't bad. lol A few days ago, my fiance said he wanted blondie brownies. They didn't sell pre-made blondies at the store, so I bought a box. I LOVE brownies, so this was a potential problem. I waited until an hour before he came home from work to make them. Left them on the stove and when he came home, I cut them into pieces, put them in a tupperware container, and sent them with him to take to his man-cave. I actually call his man-cave his man-hole, but he seems to take offense at that. Anyway, I was only slightly tempted to have one and did not cave! Brownies, you have no power over me!

My little 4 year old beagle needs to lose 4 lbs, so I am going to find a place to start walking with her. There is a neighborhood with sidewalks a few miles away. Might use that. The beagle is my baby. I love her, I love her, I love her! Totally allergic to her, but I love her.

People can be so hurtful to overweight people. I really hate being treated differently because of the weight. Some people treat me like I am stupid and a doormat. Starting to like seeing their reaction when I prove them wrong. Wonder if that is a good thing or bad? I am going to start going out of my way to treat everyone I meet that might be shunned by others with kindness and respect.