Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Accountability, tracking and venting - that about sums it up!

Hmmmm, at the encouragement of one of my favorite posters, I'm starting a journal.

Maybe to start with a little bit of background - I've been doing LC for almost 9 years. I don't suffer from any dietary fat phobia issues and I believe that fat is good for your diet. I believe in exercise, not to lose weight but for strength, endurance and flexibility. I'm not doing enough, but I hope to get more active as the pounds melt away.

First time, I went from 203 to 137 (2005-2007) - then life got in the way, I had a baby (who is now 6), broke up with my ex. I jumped back in a few times, losing ~10# each time, but was sidetracked. In hindsight, not sure what the tipping point was, but it happened a few times.

Fast forward to 2014 - started LC at a whopping 220# and dropped about 6# before going on vacation to the Bahamas in February. I made sure I was in a lot of pictures - I wanted my daughter to be able to remember the vacation and more importantly wanted to shame myself. I looked FAT. But, that is a starting point and there is no going back. Maybe I'll post the worst of the worst on the last day of this year - at which point I should be about 150# - quite respectable. 65# should be a quite the before and after.

Recently, I started following a ketogenic plan (also referred to as nutritional ketosis) and this has been the most wonderful thing - it's quantitative and even if I don't get the mental boost from the scale showing a lower weight, I do get a boost from seeing that my blood level shows that I'm in ketosis.

Why I like nutritional ketosis?
  • More energy
  • More mental clarity
  • Reduced appetite
  • Less opportunity for slippery slope - where one meal can lead to the next and suddenly it's 6 months later

Challenges I see with nutritional ketosis:
  • Dating without seeming eccentric

Why I hope nutritional ketosis is going to stick:
  • Great things listed above - how I feel
  • Daily quantitative blood levels - if I go off plan, I will go out of ketosis. One day is one day - and I seem to be able to bounce back into ketosis, but I think even 2 days could be problematic, so this creates a pretty good tracking and control. I will continue to check my blood for the near foreseeable future - $2 a day is pretty cheap insurance.

My reward for reaching goal (target date: April 2015 and weight: 135)
  • Plastic surgery - the boobs, maybe the tummy and whatever else needs to be done.

Anyways, let's see how this goes - probably some tears and a few laughs along the way, just promise not to laugh at my tears.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
Oh yay yay yay! I'm excited you are journaling! You're my keto-hero and I'm needing to learn learn learn!

. . . and woman! . . . I'll never laugh at tears, unless we are laughing until we cry. Because we need to laugh lots!

Seriously, I'm so glad you are chronicling your story.
DaisyGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Daisy - we can fly by the seat of our pants together.

Mr. Tanita is staying steady: 195.8
Blood: 0.8 - just sent in ANOTHER order for blood strips, man they're getting expensive with daily testing and sometimes a couple of times in a day.

Sigh, I really wish I knew if 1.5 was really better than 0.8 for losing weight. Weight seems to be coming off gradually at about 1.5 per week, so that is fine, but still, I wish I knew. Argh, no absolutes in weight loss.

This is going to be a long journey - I really hope I hit 150# by end of December. After December, I have the weight loss planned at 1# per week, but maybe that's too ambitious. But, April of 2015, less than a year away, I should be at goal.

Cooking is going well:

Today's double batch (for today and tomorrow) - I've made variations of this for weeks. This should be good for at least 2 meals.
  • Sauteed asparagus (280 g) - that's just what is weighed out. I'm quite proud though, this asparagus is from my garden.
  • Kielbasa - a common theme, I bulk order all meat from a farm in northwestern New York
  • Mushrooms
  • Onions
  • Lots of homemade Alfredo sauce
  • Shirataki noodles

More kitchen prep:

Chocolate gluc pudding - now how did I not know about this before??

With all of this cooking and prepping, I run the dish washer twice as often, now and my food composting pit is filling up fast.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:53 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Scale continuing downward march and blood stable

Mr. Tanita says: 195.6 - so close to an actual 25# loss
Blood: 1.1

Looks like today is going to be bright and sunny. It's been raining much of the week, good for the garden, but not as fun to be outside.

All veggies planted in the garden: Carrots, radishes, zucchini, crookneck, red, yellow and purple bell peppers, 3 kinds of cherry tomatoes - red, yellow and black, 2 kinds of watermelon, eggplant, cucumber.

Some of the stuff is for my daughter - I'm trying to stay whole foods with her and hoping that if she planted it, watered it and picks it from the garden, she'll be more inclined to eat it. Also hope to save a bit of money - although building the raised bed and bringing in manure and topsoil was expensive. Next year should be the $$ saving one.

Would like to get a bit more stringent with the exercise, but just not motivated lots of times
Old 05-18-2014, 04:07 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

195 girl! Check you out! I remember you saying that when you hit 190 a whole new world of closet-shopping was awaiting you.

Your garden sounds wonderful! I am coming over later in the season to help you with those zukes. I mean, that's the kind of friend I am!

I am really looking forward to Farmer's Market season. It's started, but there really isn't anything local to be had just yet. Although I am wondering if there is asparagus yet? I need to go.

Gardening is a workout. I bet you're getting in more activity than you realize. Although I know what you mean - getting to the gym always feels very invigorating.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

The march continues:

Mr. Tanita was kind again: 195.2 (down 0.4 from yesterday, not that day to day really counts, but it's nice to have a small drop just to reinforce)
Blood: 0.9 (still haven't cracked the blood level mystery)

Daisy:

Clothes - Yes, I'm waiting to wear the 190 pile - I should go up and get a sneak preview...

What's so funny about the zucchini - I remember paying 2.99 per pound this Spring - and come August, people can't give the stuff away. I'm going to see what I can do to freeze and marinade to hopefully have the food through the rest if the fall and winter. I just don't trust myself to sterilize and do normal canning. The radishes just broke ground yesterday (they're some unusual variety and they will be either pink, white or yellow), so that should be fun. I've never seen a yellow radish.

I was looking at planting more asparagus this year - I probably have 10-12 plants putting up shoots, but not quite enough to feed me. I think my asparagus consumption counts as a family of 4. Funny how when going NK, I have eaten MORE veggies than previously, but that's mainly because I'm putting more care and attention into the meals.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:03 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Marching along and grateful for the progress on the diet front:

Loving Mr. Tanita today: 194.6 (down 0.6 from yesterday - while I love the progress, it almost spooks me - that the progress might be yanked back. But the one thing I can say, when the scale is significantly down, it's a motivator for that day to do particularly well.

Blood is steady at 1.1

From a planning perspective, trying to regiment my time better so I can accomplish more - maybe categories will help so I don't get derailed. Daisy, I'm counting on you to keep me focused and honest!

Simplification: OK, now this is sad, but only thing I can think of - put away every single piece of laundry (big task) and then rotate out all winter stuff so I can find weather appropriate clothes without digging through a bin.
Job hunting: Follow up on 2 previous interviews and re-filter criteria of alerts and notifications. Follow up on lead on major state project near house.
Cooking/food: Make cauliflower au gratin type of dish and spaghetti squash lasagne
Exercise: Bike ride with Lindsey, weather permitting
House: Break down all cardboard for recycling
Yard/gardening: Plant spinach, basil and bush beans. I think I'm going to pick up some kale seeds and maybe start making kale chips. They're so expensive and it looks easy to grow. Hmmm, maybe I should try them first to see if I'd even like them. Asparagus seems to be slowing down a bit - only got 3 stalks yesterday and 3 today.

Ketosis Rules!!

Yesterday was a successful day - went to a child's birthday party and nibbled on turkey and cheese and half slice BBQ chicken breast, skipped the cake (nice Carvel ice cream cake) and was fine with it. More and more I'm convinced this is the crux to NK. In the past, when I was basic LC, I might have taken a very small slice of cake - it wouldn't have ruined the day - I'm not a slippery slope kiss of death person, but it would have added up. One thing I deliberately tried, doubting that it would taste good was a tiny slice of apple dipped in caramel - it was nasty! Hopefully reinforces that if it doesn't REALLY taste good, it's not worth it.

One thing I did a couple of days ago that I need to remember - before leaving for a play date with Lindsey, I gulped down a couple of tablespoons of psyllium in water for fullness. Playing with that as a strategy to augment the basic lack of appetite to prevent eating off plan.

Onward - need to make this an extra successful day to start a great week!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

woman - you really are phenomenal! Your progress is fantastic.

I am right with you on using time more efficiently. I am TERRIBLE about putting away my clean laundry. Often I only do it because I need the laundry basket! I'll put mine away right now and you do the same!

I make lists every day of my wants regarding accomplishment. I write everything down because either I'll forget or it won't happen and when I check something off I feel fantastic.

I'll cook up my cauliflower today as well. You have motivated me!

Your vegetable garden really sounds so lovely. Is Lindsey enjoying working in it with you?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Mr. Tanita was reasonable: 194.4 (down 0.2 from yesterday, would like to hit 194.0 at the end of the week to stay on schedule - so 0.4 for the rest of the week sounds pretty reasonable. I tend to be a slow and steady loser when I'm losing, but then I hit a couple of weeks of no change).

Blood is ?? - Where are those sticks from Canada?? I think I'm pretty good though - I stayed within limits and scale had me down a bit, so I'm not too worried.

OK - now here's my assessment - not so good day

Simplification: MISS - Laundry not put away and seasonal rotated
(Attempt #2 today)

Job hunting: DONE - Follow up completed - still waiting on feedback on one interview.
NEXT - 2 resumes out to targeted companies

Cooking/food: DONE - Made cauliflower au gratin type of dish and spaghetti squash lasagne. Even bought a new burgundy colored waiter's apron to avoid cooking splatters on clothes.
NEXT - Steam 8 eggs for egg salad this week. BTW: 13 minutes to steam eggs is perfect!

Exercise: MISS - Bike ride with Lindsey, weather permitting. We spent 1+ hour at the playground at school so she could run around with friends
NEXT - 30 minutes weight training at gym before picking up Lindsey

House: DONE - Break down all cardboard for recycling.
NEXT - Take it outside - this will be funny to people with attention issues like I have

Yard/gardening: DONE - Hurried and just did it now - so this list is keeping me accountable. Plant spinach, basil and bush beans.
NEXT - 30 minutes of moving mulch to the bed along the busy street. Won't be the whole bed, but it will be a good start.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

You hit lots of things on your list! Your weight just keeps on a marching down. That is so great!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

TOM - should have stayed away from scale: 196.4 (up 2 from yesterday, weekend at 203 seems a bit more precarious, but keep moving forward - been there, done that enough times not to be worried).

Blood is ?? - Still waiting on the sticks (note to self, order earlier next time)

OK - now here's my assessment - pretty good day, except the one thing I keep avoiding

(Attempt #3 today)

Job hunting: HALF DONE - Found another good lead, sent resume out for a colleague's review, she returned it this morning and things are lined up to send out. On a good note, finally got the call from the company with the good job fit to check my availability for onsite interviews, so I suspect will be early next week. They're trying to staff 45 jobs locally, so they're buried which explains why I fell off the radar.
NEXT - Send one good fit resume and depending on when interviews are scheduled, get nails done (sigh, I just want to work in the garden)

Cooking/food: DONE - Steam 8 eggs
NEXT - Nothing. I'll probably eat salads for the rest of the week and I still have 4 more cauliflower casserole portions.

Exercise: SUCCESS - 30 minutes weight training substituted with 2 hours of pulling Bermuda grass - doesn't matter how I get the exercise, just that I get it
NEXT - Continue with yard - especially if need to get nails done tomorrow for interview. I should be wearing gloves, but I just love bare hand gardening.

House: DONE - Take cardboard outside
NEXT - Buy more peroxide and wash cat. OMG - I woke about 3am to horrendous skunk smell and then realized the cat was out.

Yard/gardening: DONE - Instead of mulch, spent a couple of hours redoing the bed to eliminate burmuda grass - hate the stuff
NEXT - 30 minutes of moving mulch to the bed along the busy street. Won't be the whole bed, but it will be a good start. Even better, trying to pawn off manure and mulch to my neighbor so I can reclaim my driveway.

Last edited by sbarr; 05-21-2014 at 06:46 AM..
Old 05-22-2014, 04:28 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Is the job with the good fit your favorite so far?

Now look at that list! I have a close friend that has had the motto "simplify" for a couple of years now. You are reminding me of her. I like that for a life-brand.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:19 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Speaking of Simplify... I couldn't resist getting this a few years ago! Just as a little reminder each day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (31.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-23-2014, 05:36 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Is that your license plate? OMG that is fantastic. Yes yes yes to simplify. Sometimes we make things unnecessarily complicated.

You are my kind of girl!
Old 05-23-2014, 05:45 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Mr. Tanita and I are on good terms today: 193.2 (down 3.2 from a couple of days ago, typical TOM variance. Weekend at 203 seems possible!)

Blood is 0.6 - Been that way for the past 2 days.

Missed yesterday, but with good reason - I went shopping! Actually, that is a big thing for me - I always scrimp on clothes for myself, so I went with a girlfriend who loves to shop and we went to the outlet malls. Found a nice lightweight suit at Jones New York. I felt cheated in a way when I got a 14W - talk about vanity sizing. The 16 regular was a tiny bit snug at the waist when SITTING which is what you do during interviews. The 14W was roomy and I can move the closure button as I diminish. Then off to get bras - sigh. I've been a Target bra shopper for way too long and my bra was from 25# ago. I suffered a bit of teasing. Then, the worst part - onward to Chico's and bought 6 outfits, mix and match - 6 tops and 3 pants and a jacket. I bought half that fit now, will still look good for the next 20# to lose and half won't fit until at least another 10#, so I have something to look forward to and I should be able to wear those down quite a bit. Thankfully, I just sat in the dressing room and my friend and 2 associates just kept bringing things. I didn't look at the prices, I just tried things on. Well, found out the prices when they rang up - but overall, 6-7 outfits will get me through the first couple of months of work, along with my other gradually fitting clothes. All I can say is thankfully these was the outlets. Now I really need a job!!

(Attempt #4 today - really, I promise!)

Job hunting: IN PROCESS - Last night received email from HR to schedule interviews - they're saying the first week of June. Talk about dragging it out! Will call them at 9:20 am so HR assistant will have time to arrive in office, get settled and we can lock this down on the phone.
NEXT - Send one good fit resume if Company #1 delays until early June. I was hoping to get a feel from Company #1 before sending out resume, but not confident enough yet.
CRITICAL - Get suit altered. 5'3" isn't a good height when buying a suit.

Cooking/food: Nothing past couple of days - Need to go harvest more asparagus and cook SOMETHING. With all the rain, I probably have almost a pound of asparagus in the yard, plus my 2# in the fridge.

Exercise: Does shopping count? No, didn't think so. Shopping girlfriend invited me to the gym today, so will probably swim and do weights. Maybe that will get me the 0.2 to hit 193.0 tomorrow.

House: DONE - Cat somewhat deskunked. I can still smell it when I pick her up and the other cat just growls and hisses at her. House cleaner blitzed the house yesterday, so not a lot to do, so will take a pass and go back to clothes sorting and putting away.

Yard/gardening: NADA - too much rain.
ATTEMPT #2 - 30 minutes of moving mulch to the bed along the busy street. Weather looks pretty gloomy.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:46 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes, that's my license plate - I wanted something to remind me each day, even if I'm not living it, maybe it will subliminally settle into my little brain.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:48 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

[QUOTE=sbarr;16919048]Mr. Tanita and I are on good terms today: 193.2 (down 3.2 from a couple of days ago, typical TOM variance. Weekend at 203 seems possible!)

I guess I'm still not fully believing being under 200 - *bleep* 203.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:13 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Where's your avatar update? I'm following along obsessively! I want to see 193 in black and beige!

The shopping sounded fun. All the lovely clothes!

Are you still drinking the chai tea before bed every day? Do you track the calories from that?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:39 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Mr. Tanita was da man: 191.0 - I'm so grateful for the progress in the midst of other unknowns in life right now.

Blood is 0.8 - Good and steady - and that was after eating about a quarter of a corn cob yesterday and a couple of handfuls of puffed corn. But, it was fine. I'm feeling more confident about everything.

Very nice day yesterday - I went with a friend of mine to look at a camp up in the Adirondaks (her friend is selling it because he has 2 ex girlfriends in the same camp area). I'm very tempted to buy in on part of it - I'd have to cash out some of retirement money, but the 2014 fee is paid and it's meticulous and if I didn't like it, then I could just sell my share next year. Not something to do when not working, but maybe it's a good "new start in life" symbol.

On the food front, came home and my neighbor came over with her 3 kids and we grilled. I ate a piece of BBQ chicken, a few handfuls of corn puff chips, about 1/4 of a cob of corn, lots of grilled baby portabellas and asparagus and unsweetened tea. It was actually quite easy - and that's what made the day so perfect - I nibbled a bit, wasn't hungry and it was no big deal.

Simplification: PARTIAL - Most laundry put away and some seasonal rotated and also packed up winter clothes to GIVE AWAY. There is no way I will be able to wear 220# clothes next year.
NEXT - Final wrap up of clothes.

Job hunting: IN PROCESS - 5 onsite interviews Wednesday of next week (total of about 3 hours, so it will be a long haul - thank gawd for ketosis, I'll have the residual energy). I get my suit back on Thursday from tailor, so that gives me almost a week to get everything settled, get hair and nails done.

Cooking/food: Thai red curry soup with chicken, but I'll make that tonight with Lindsey. For bulk cooking - probably cauliflower and kielbasa and grab the last few asparagus in the yard. Nothing exciting, but very doable. I'm ambivalent about this - food is so uninteresting right now (thank you ketosis), but I think part of my success has been having prepped meals when I am ready to eat.

Exercise: Wow, the weight is down - there's something in me that just wants to go full tilt, but I'm inclined to not work out today and get life a bit more organized.

House: Nothing to do today, which is good - maybe just knock out a few drawers.

Yard/gardening: Raised beds are in, seedlings are starting to come up, and need to brew up my organic pest spray.

Things are going well in most of the categories, but then I'm in a great mood today, almost exuberant. Daisy - maybe I should add a category of MEN to put me back in my "not so good" zone.

Re: fatty chai - not so much at night, with the warmer weather, I'm not in a tea mood. I track all carbs, protein and fat from everything, except the few peppery pistachios I nibble on at night. I am pretty conservative, overestimating everything, so it gives me that little bit of buffer.

Last edited by sbarr; 05-27-2014 at 07:41 AM..
Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Mr. Tanita is truly da man. You are burning it up woman!

. . . and don't you dare mess up your exuberance! Men, other than Mr. Tanita, will wait for the time being. You are doing so fantastic focusing on yourself and your daughter that it's a wondrous thing to watch.

That campground sounds so interesting! What a fun thing to have an investment in. Are you still considering?
Old 05-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes, I am... and it's definitely not the time to be dropping a bunch of money, but the season just opened here and it would be a great way to spend weekends - it's only an hour drive from the house and the drive is: 25 min smooth sailing oh highway, 10-15 min hassle through a small town and then 20 min pretty drive (and this would be the time for a deep breath and start to relax)

The guy is even offering to mow the grass for the season. There is a boat slip included with the season's fee - and while I don't have a boat, maybe I could find a friend and offer the slip in return for some time on a boat.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Yes, I am... and it's definitely not the time to be dropping a bunch of money, but the season just opened here and it would be a great way to spend weekends - it's only an hour drive from the house and the drive is: 25 min smooth sailing oh highway, 10-15 min hassle through a small town and then 20 min pretty drive (and this would be the time for a deep breath and start to relax)

The guy is even offering to mow the grass for the season. There is a boat slip included with the season's fee - and while I don't have a boat, maybe I could find a friend and offer the slip in return for some time on a boat.
Oh girl - this is all sounding better and better. So dreamy to be able to spend weekends on the water.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:56 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Mr. Tanita is pretty faithful: 190.8 - Down 0.2 and I think I'm on target for 190.0 on Saturday - I just feel like I'm burning fat (a raw and satisfying ache in the pit of my belly - different than hunger). Now I'm starting to wonder about body fat - my thighs are getting lean, the muscles under my body fat are tight and my arms are getting definition. Mr. Tanita isn't so accurate about body fat - this morning it registered 49% and I know that is not the case (elevated morning body fat is due to dehydration). When I weigh at night, it's more like 35%. I wish I could find someone to do a cheap caliper test rather than me wandering around the house pinching my fat

Blood is 1.8 - Wow, not bad at ALL. Granted, the objective is not to get the highest level, but to stay over 0.5. I'm wondering if this high level will mean good news tomorrow and Saturday.

Update on the camp: Seller is down $5K, even offered to do the grass for the rest of the year, site fee is paid and I called last night to tell him I wanted it. It's an extravagance, but it's about quality of life and I want to create some fond memories for Lindsey of summers at the lake. This is a tiny trailer with one bedroom and a pull out couch - not really a "camp" per se, although that seems to be the local term. I'm grateful that I do have a little bit of money to do this. I'm digging into retirement, but I can also grow that as soon as I start working again. The guy had 27 voicemails about the camp in queue, and offered to take a small refundable deposit and pull the sign. I explained my situation - and am going to start getting my finances settled and will lock in after next Wednesday's job interviews - at which point, I should know if I have the job. Sigh - this all sounds so bizarre to not have a job and getting a little vacation place, but I've worked so many years, scrimped and saved and this is a real quality of life investment and something nice for myself, which I don't do very often. We don't go out to eat, clothes are from eBay, no manicures and pedicures or the things people spend money on at the malls and having fun. My big expenditures are on vacations - I had my first big trip with Lindsey this year and now this. But, if I buy this, the weekly costs for this year will be a couple of gallons gas to go out and back and we'll bring the food we would eat at home.

Simplification: Need to take a deep breath and figure out what I want to do to make life easier.

Job hunting: GOOD PROGRESS - Just got my schedule for the interview marathon - over 3 hours straight back to back. My workout girlfriend and best supporter during these months is good friends with the first person I interview and I have worked indirectly with the last interviewer. Yeah, my ex is taking Lindsey Tuesday night so I have one less variable Wednesday morning.

Cooking/food: Cold Pesto kielbasa dish was really good - VERY high fat with pesto and mayo and kielbasa, but only 10 carbs for a large serving. My breakfast is zero carb, so I can afford this. Only thing for today will be steamed (not boiled) eggs - always good to have on hand. I'm using that as a fallback when I feel like I need to eat something.

Exercise: OMG - ouch. Went with my workout girlfriend to a different gym (different weight machines than we've been using past couple of months), started with baby version of HIIT on the ellipticals (45 second "sprint" then 15 seconds rest, then weights, then swimming and I'm sore today. We texted each other and agreed not to work out - she was sore too. One difference - we did weights BEFORE swimming, so I wonder if that was a factor. Next time we go to this gym, we'll swim first.

House: Nothing - just not bothering with anything.

Yard/gardening: ALL seedlings are up (except tomatoes and sweet peppers, but there are lots of tiny weeds, so I'm not sure what is what)! I also did two huge bags of weeding - it started with a little bit of pulling along one sidewalk and then full tilt invasion of one of the flower beds. Just laughed - pulling weeds is like popping pimples - just so satisfying to see something unsightly GONE. Gawd, did i just say that.

Daisy - you're right, skip the men. The right one will show up or not. Right now life is busy enough - and I certainly can't date without a job since that's always an early question - what do you do? where do you work?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:12 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KetoMama
WOE: Ketogenic/under 20 grams
Start Date: 5.22.14
Yay! Congrats on the 190! You are almost to one of my big milestones!!!
KetoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you, LCMama (I love your name) - this is going to be a big milestone, probably almost as big as 199 - getting out of the 200's.

I'm just so grateful I found NK after querying "fat fast" (as a way to jump start things). Definitely have to be super focused to stay in ketosis, but it seems like the decisions are easier. I'm desperately hoping that maintenance will be as easy as losing since I'll probably be eating the same. I think with NK, I don't have as much of a: "when I hit goal...." mentality.

My kitchen has taken a real hit - with all of the cooking for my pyrex portions, I'm doing dishes at least twice as often.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm desperately hoping that maintenance will be as easy as losing since I'll probably be eating the same. I think with NK, I don't have as much of a: "when I hit goal...." mentality.
And I think that's the key. Last time I purposely followed a ketogenic diet it was under a doctor's care. As soon as I hit goal she switched me to a high carb, moderate protein, super low fat diet, and I gained all the weight back not knowing what I was doing wrong. A year later I followed a vvvlc diet, but was eating way too much protein and (I think) too many calories and for about 1.5 years only lost 10-20 pounds. I think the key for me is to stick to a ketogenic diet, which includes tracking macros and testing my blood for ketones, but keeping the same attitude that you have, which is that once weight loss is done, nothing much is going to change.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:11 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

I think the blood testing will be a motivator....

At our goals, me, 135 and you 130 - day after day, week after week - we stay at goal, what is the accomplishment? Where is the reinforcement?

But, if we continue to measure our ketones - I do think staying in ketosis is more of an accomplishment than not gaining a pound. I'm tentatively considering the ketonix breath meter as a "goal" reward and that this becomes my daily standard with a weekly blood check (and also doing mid-week blood as a backup, if something varies like a higher carb meal and I want to make sure I'm back). But, if I do a breath check and see that I'm in ketosis every morning, that will be a reinforcer more than the scale - I THINK.

Let's set a reunion date to see if we still think the same way in 5 years!
Old 05-30-2014, 03:30 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

190.8! Woman! You just keep onward and downward. Hey wait! That's my tagline! Heh!

You don't waver. It's great!

. . . and I'm thrilled you have decided to buy (an interest??) in the campground. This is fantastic! I grew up camping and with a cabin and grew my own family camping on the regular and all of it has the best of memories for me. Now both of my daughters love to camp. I still do, but we have a camper, but I really do still love it.

Sandra, I am a graphic designer, but lost my corporate job a few years ago. Went back to school for accounting (wow! That was difficult for this right-brained individual!), and now I work for my husband's and mine very small tax and accounting firm. I'm marketing, design, and ops manager. I also watch my grandson a couple of times a week.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:40 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

I have a question - real world-type question:

Pup and I have dinner plans with old friends tonight. I'm going to forgo alcohol just because I'm in a place and don't want to scoot out of it, but what would be the best best choice for dinner? I'm leaning towards a cob-like salad with fatty dressing.

I'm going to check if they have a website, but it's a small restaurant in a small town so I'll see. No matter what, they'll have a salad choice I'm certain.

What would you choose? I'm still struggling to get my body to ketosis.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I think the blood testing will be a motivator....

At our goals, me, 135 and you 130 - day after day, week after week - we stay at goal, what is the accomplishment? Where is the reinforcement?

But, if we continue to measure our ketones - I do think staying in ketosis is more of an accomplishment than not gaining a pound. I'm tentatively considering the ketonix breath meter as a "goal" reward and that this becomes my daily standard with a weekly blood check (and also doing mid-week blood as a backup, if something varies like a higher carb meal and I want to make sure I'm back). But, if I do a breath check and see that I'm in ketosis every morning, that will be a reinforcer more than the scale - I THINK.

Let's set a reunion date to see if we still think the same way in 5 years!
I definitely feel the same way! I have been toying with the idea of getting the ketonix. I'm wanting to wait to see what happens with the technology, but it would be nice to have a less expensive, but accurate way to test ketones on a regular basis.