Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 06:26 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/182/135 (26-Jul)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Mr. Tanita does not lie: 193.8 - Yep, you heard it here - up 3# from Friday morning.

Blood is 0.9 - I think I like my blood meter more than my scale!

I'm cheerfully irritated - I know what happened. Late Friday night, got an invite to bring Lindsey to old flame's house for a play date with his kids. We went up - had a birthday present to deliver and was just going to be a fun, short afternoon. Whaddayaknow - pizza for lunch and a beer Having only had BPC for breakfast, a good morning blood reading, I ate the kiddie size piece of pizza, some caprese salad and sliced avocado and the beer . I made sure to run around a lot with the kids with the water guns. Came home and blood was 1.1 I think I'm figuring out this game - Always drink BPC for breakfast, when out, be moderate, and then dinner needs to be < 5 carbs. So far, I feel like I have this under control - where I can eat a little bit off plan and get right back on the wagon. So far, these forays have been modest lunches (twice this week), the weight is up, but still in ketosis.

Really, for me, the bigger accomplishment is to eat moderate, return on plan same day and then clean the next day. This hints at maintenance/long term success, which is a whole lot more meaningful than 1.5# per week steady march. I'm back on the marching path and hope by next Friday, things will be good.

Nah, no goals for today - just regular laundry, a bit in the yard and then off to exercise girlfriend's sister's house to swim in her pool. Life is good!

A funny irony - sent quick email to old flame thanking him for yesterday. He responded that my daughter is a big hit at his house. Uh, thanks, I guess. Nah, I'm over it - not to say I wouldn't say no if given the option, but oh well I'm "play date mommy" and Lindsey is the star.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2014, 01:47 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
Mr. Tanita will not disappoint I'm certain. As your tagline states, you are focusing on the long run. I used to work for a fairly famous treatment facility where one of the most often repeated phrases/mantras was "progress, not perfection." You have the progress. The steady-eddie. That's the key yes?

Yes, the progress for you was returning directly to your plan and soldiering on. And I hope that beer tasted amazing!

As for the old flame? Keep him in the friend-zone as you have. He's going to see what amazing looks like. Talk about being a hit!

DaisyGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mr. Tanita isn't budging: 193.8 - Grrrr, but, it was my choice to eat what I did on Saturday (not so bad) and Sunday

Blood is 0.6 - I am laughing at myself now because my priority had been to stay in ketosis, but the scale was secondary. I want both!

OK - Saturday was modest. Sunday not so modest - the pizza and the sweet vodka drinks. Ketosis stayed by my side, but the weight went up. Maybe there was a carefree part of me that wanted to make it through the weekend unscathed. Nope - didn't happen. Did I get too cocky? I tried to maintain that childlike sense of wonder and delight and joy, hoping the diet deities would give me a pass, but didn't happen.

Now I'm just holding out for Saturday to be back to 190.8. This will all have been a lesson. Now the social life is ramping up and the associated food risks. I do great as a food hermit with my stacks of pyrex meals in the fridge. Now I need to do great when I'm out and about enjoying myself.

Nice day yesterday - picked Lindsey up from school and she met her little friend at the pool and they had a nice time. I'm struggling with something her little friend said yesterday, though (about a 3rd mutual friend "LE" - and mind you, these girls are all 6 yo) - "LE is glad Lindsey didn't ride the bus the other day. She wishes Lindsey were never born and God didn't make her" - Okayyyyy... So, now do I go L'Es mother and just share this with her - I'm not at all the reactionary type, but that's pretty extreme for a 6 yo. These girls all ride the bus together in the afternoon, Lindsey and LE go to gymnastics together. Or just blow it off? Inclined to wait until gymnastics when we're both there and just mention it as an aside, whether she knows if LE is angry with Lindsey.

Oh well - can't worry about everything. Lindsey didn't seem too bothered by it when her friend said it, but I don't think she really understood. Or maybe kids just say these things. I would have been fine if she said she was glad Lindsey wasn't on the bus because she didn't like Lindsey - but to wish she'd never been born?? Now if Lindsey had said something mean about another child, I would want to know. Not that it's a big problem, but I'd want to get to the root of it and if she didn't like someone to come up with nicer ways of "not liking" someone.

Anyways, big interview tomorrow - basically 3 hours straight of interviews, so it's going to be a long day!

No goals, nada - just riding out the rest of the day - hoping the tailor got it right the 3rd time, first time wasn't ready, second time buttons were crooked, third time.... Then nails and hairdresser tonight. On a good note, John agreed to take Lindsey tonight so I don't have that variable tomorrow before my interview marathon. How ironic, to consider my delightful 6 yo a variable to be factored in and eliminated tomorrow morning
Old 06-04-2014, 04:07 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

I'm fearful of the summer social life as well. I'm going to start golfing with a group for networking and fun and you know what happens at happy hours. Gah.

I'm dying to hear what your hairdresser will say about your hair. I stopped taking the DE, but have started giving it to my pets. What a dork. I want to start it up again and I'm not truly certain why I stopped.

Best of luck and white light coming your way for your interviewing today!

Old 06-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mr. Tanita is consistent, if nothing else: 193.8 - ALTHOUGH (and yes, slight confession), when I checked the body fat it was 29% last night before I went to bed, so I know it's hydration - there's water stored somewhere in my body.

Blood is usual 0.6 - so, I'm still paying for my weekend. At some point I need to drop the weight, though.

Thanks for the white light - I did have a lot of clarity.

Interviews went well - just call me iron bladder. I had my BPC before leaving, then drank a half cup coffee there AND a small bottle of water. I barely got a chance to stand up to shake hands before the next manager came in. 4 of 5 interviews went very well - in fact, my 4th one, I was pretty much asking the hiring manager about his risks and challenges when he ran out of things to ask me since we'd already had a phone interview. Only iffy one was the CIO, he was a hard read - and I fumbled on the "what do you see yourself doing in 5 years" question. HRM agreed to additional vacation in concept (grandfathering another week of industry experience - I do NOT want to start with 2 weeks of vacation per year at my age), gave me a tour of the building and admitted they don't have many candidates for this role - fairly obscure and narrow discipline. So, she said a lot of things "as if" which sounded like she visualized me in the role. I'm really looking forward to it. If this falls through, then I'll have to start scratching the surface a bit deeper. I already notified my references to let me know if they do a reference check, which means I made it past the interviews - and I know references and background check are smooth sailing.

So, with luck - hope to have an offer within a week or so.

Nothing today - just stalking the mail delivery person for a much needed check.

Just a day of clean eating ahead and decompressing from the past few weeks of anticipation.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mr. Tanita is becoming annoying! 193.8 - I guess I feel like I had my successful run and now it's stall time. There is no way that what I ate on Sunday should still reflect on the scale today, especially when I stayed within my macros (Mon-Wed). I do feel bloated, which is reassuring, since that explains the weight. Bloated is better than fat!

Blood was low 0.4 - Not sure what is up with that - this is the first time I've been < 0.5 on a morning reading since I started. Maybe I need to start taking a glob of CO before bed - that did work the other day. I think I was a bit more sluggish this morning, but maybe it's observation effect, where since I saw the lower number I started detecting sluggishness. I personally think that happens a lot of people to feel what they expect to be feeling. Well, can't do a double-blind study in my little n=1 world.

Still waiting on job offer - but, did get a positive response from the HR manager after my routine "thank you for the interview note" saying that she hoped to get back to me shortly with feedback, which I doubt she would have written had they wanted me to go away...

Still waiting for a check in the mail...

Still waiting for the scale to drop a bit...

Still waiting for Mr. Right for now...

Still waiting for the rest of my seedlings to get big enough so I can weed around them...

Buffalo chicken in the crock pot - harumph, I guess I'm still waiting on that, too....

Really?!?!

But, life is good, life is good... There is a probable job offer, there is a check, the scale isn't THAT bad, there is NOT a Mr. Wrong, I HAVE a garden and I love Buffalo chicken...

Maybe Mr. Tanita and Ms. HR from X-company will both have good news the same day!

p.s. - Daisy, hairdresser didn't notice new growth, but she did say my hair was sleeker when she dried it. I'll give it another month or so for her to confirm on the hair. I still think the nails are better - but, then they're all chopped off now so I could get them done conservatively for the interview.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

You KNOW I know how this feels. You got it.

I have to tell you though, although I LOVE what I get to eat on this diet, and I LOVE how I feel with body aches (none), and I LOVE the non-bloaty feeling always, I have to say that it BUGS me that just having one little thing here or one little thing there can hijack the deal.

Life is kinda random and things happen and maybe you want ONE beer and maybe I want a piece of corn; it's frustrating that one THING can be a derailing. The science cannot be that precise can it? Sheesh losing weight is such a pain in my rear!

*apologies for jack

Life is good and you listed all the ways it is. It's fun and freeing to write down a few grouses. It's cathartic!
Old 06-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, grousing is good... and really, I have so many things to be incredibly grateful.

I feel like Mr. Tanita and I are in a dysfunctional relationship - give it to me, take it away, give, take.... he's such a tease...I wish he'd just give me what I want. We were on the same page for almost 3 months. Now, bah!!

But, even if Mr. T and I were not getting along, at least I had my blood tests - and even that let me down today.

I totally agree on the temporary derailing - but, the one thing that I can take to the bank is that it's very easy to get back on track, even after a day.

Things are so regimented now - BPC for breakfast, lunch was egg salad with hot sauce... (not in the mood to make a heavy sauce dish with cauliflower) - so, even if there is a "bad" day, it's easy to be good the next day because it is so structured. Making a garlic chicken shirataki noodle bake for dinner since the little Miss won't eat Buffalo chicken.

But, this regimented aspect is my best chance for lifelong success!

On a good note - have a date with exercise girlfriend tomorrow so that will be a good way to end the week.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:32 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

How did the exercise date go? Are you guys swimming? I ask because I'm seriously considering switching gyms for one with a swimming pool. Although, I cannot lie, the thought of wearing a swimming suit in front of people that do not love me scares the starch right into me! Gah . . .

I stalk your food diary like I'm the boss. Silly because what works for you won't necessarily work for me yes?

Again . . . gah! Ha!
Old 06-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi there - thanks for my laugh today. I needed it.

I'm pretty down about the weight and blood right now.

Weight - 192.8
Blood: 0.3

Had a couple of wine spritzers last night - and even though I entered them in the food tracker, and stayed under my carb limit things didn't turn out so well. Wine really seems to stall me and muck around with the blood levels. Makes sense, even though I don't like it.

Exercise was good - we swam for a short while, sat in the whirlpool and talked about men or the lack thereof, went to the sauna for a few minutes, and then worked out on the weights. Please, don't even worry about the suit - I look like the Michelin man - we're almost same weight and you have 4 INCHES height on me. One nice thing about the swimming, after about a quarter of a mile you can FEEL the abdominal tightness.

Fun activity today - taking Lindsey and a little friend of hers to a photo shoot about an hour from here. The woman is staging it for the "Mad Hatter's Tea Party" - they have matching little dresses (pink and purple), precious little hats (even with a key on it). I want to take it a step further and create an Alice Adventure over the summer - reading the book (well, an abbreviated version more suited for young kids) and create a scene a week from the book and take pictures. Hopefully by the end of the summer, we will have finished the book and taken enough pictures that we can create our own little hardcover books with the text from the book and pictures of the girls as they do the "Alice Adventure" I think it would be a great thing for them to remember the summer as they get older. Also, Christmas presents are done!

What's funny - I'm not the creative type, but once my friend scheduled the Mad Hatter's Tea Party, I starting suggesting: "what if we did this....?" I don't come up with the first idea, but I love expanding and building on someone else's idea so once she suggested the photo shoot of the one scene, I decided it would be fun to turn it into a book.

At least that will get my mind of the weight today...
Old 06-08-2014, 05:11 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Weight: 192 (I'm getting back on track. Yesterday was a true test of commitment. I had to white knuckle it last night, but I knew what to eat and what not to drink.

Blood: 0.7 - FINALLY. The past couple of days had me anxious about how long it would take to solidly get back to > 0.5. Even though I was clean during the week, I didn't bounce back like I should have with consistent day after day readings. Yesterday's 0.3 was the emotional low point of the past 3 months for me. Frustrated with what appeared to be a lag time from the previous weekend. I wish I had that 0.3 on Monday, not almost a week after my off plan choices. Still trying to figure that one out.

BUT, I'm getting there. Last weekend cost me the whole week to recover. But, I did - that's what is most important. I'm struggling a bit with how I'm going to balance that for the rest of my life. These events are going to happen and while eating is not a mandatory aspect of socialization and pleasure, it is part of enjoyment for me.

One of the things I'm trying to keep in mind for NK is that I will be eating as I do now, or a bit less, when I reach goal. There is no, "ohhhh, when I get to goal, I can eat this". But, in a way the all or nothing aspect is a good thing. Yesterday was a good example - we were doing a photo shoot at the cemetery for the girls and my friend offered me a snack. I ate a baby bell cheese, nothing else. When I got home, I ate buffalo chicken and shredded cheese over avocado, topped with EVOO. I know what is on plan for nutritional ketosis and I wasn't going to stray for something not very enjoyable. If I'm going to blow my plan, let it be good! Although, sitting in the yard with a wine spritzer would have been REALLY nice, but not at the cost of another 0.3 reading.

Speaking of the cemetery, here is a few pictures of the cuties while we were waiting for our slot at the photo shoot at the Mad Hatter's Tea Party:

We made the dresses ourselves from tulle, the hats were inspired by the Mad Hatter. We'll get the pictures later this month, but these are going to be incorporated into a hardcover book with scenes throughout the summer. They won't be 6 for long, so this is really a magical summer for Alice's Adventure, time at the lake, gardening. The girls are great friends, total hambones - Lindsey is more of a diva and her friend is more of a playful imp, so they balance each other well.

Tomorrow is a good day for goals and accountability - today, just some time in the garden and hopefully getting the keys to the camp!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (48.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (49.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (47.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Those two girls are precious. What a fantastic, fun time for them to remember.

So, if I understand, not only will a glass of wine or a spritzer put off fat-burning, but it will knock us out of ketosis as well? Oh grr and gah.

Your insight is steadying.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yayy for me getting back in serious ketosis - please understand this isn't a dysfunctional day, but is representative of solid ketosis and the energy and lack of appetite.

8 am BPC and a few bites of fillet
10 am: My friend is famished so we had to go to a diner to get her breakfast (I had coffee)
4 pm: I get home and have a couple of eggs with mayo and hot sauce - not hungry all day, so I'm basically at 1 carb for the day and feel great.
Tonight: sit down dinner with Lindsey and chicken stuffed with cheese and spinach and salad.

I had completely neglected to consider blood sugar twice this weekend with 2 different friends. When I'm busy, eating is the last thing on my mind.

Anyways, while I'm gloating for myself, I need to find a way to be more aware of others, rather than being the Energizer bunny going and going and going. I think I'll try to put together an emergency food bag to keep in the car that is LC friendly, shelf-stable and would appeal to SAD people.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:35 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mr. Tanita seems to have forgiven me: 190.2-190.4 (and actually, I can see 189 if I put my hand lightly on the towel rack, but I suppose that is cheating)

BUT, the blood is low again: 0.3 This is more discouraging than any scale reading.

Daisy - thank you for calling my unsteadiness steadying...

For me, the wine spritzers seem to prevent the ketone levels from rising - and both days I was under 20 carbs. I'm thinking it's about being solidly keto-adapted and it's taking more time to bounce back this time. My guess is the wine spritzers wouldn't have been a big problem IF I was solidly in ketosis. I'm going to assume at least another week for ketones to stabilize. No spritzers in the near horizon.

This has been an especially challenging week - but I think I've become spoiled over the past few months because of my progress - but, it was hard earned and didn't just fall into my lap.

--

OK - back to the real week of goals and accomplishments:
  • Simplification: Nothing comes to mind right now. Maybe find a simplification? (yeah, that's a cop-out, but my mind is blank)
  • Job hunting: HOLD - Waiting on offer from last week's interview marathon. Main thing I want to hear now is that they are contacting references - so far that hasn't happened. I can definitely wait another week or two for start date, but I really need to lock this in. I don't want to apply for other jobs unless this one is out - no sense in wasting my time or other companies' time unless I'm truly looking for a job.
  • Cooking/food: Steamed eggs - I'm still loving my egg salad with buffalo sauce. It has made a good "snack" or pick me up when I needed it. Also going to make another batch of pesto cauliflower with ham and portion it out for the week.
  • Exercise: Exercise girlfriend is out of town at a conference so I'm on my own.
  • House: Blitz the kitchen while cooking so at the end, all meals complete and kitchen clean. How civilized - I think this is how normal people do it.
  • Yard/gardening: Need to do a lot of weeding, but it needs to stop raining. Light rain usually isn't a deterrent if I've been in the yard for a while, but it rained all night, so everything is soggy. Probably will use today to clean up a bit of clutter and tidy things, but not likely to do any heavy weeding unless it clears up and dries up this afternoon.
  • Camp: Yeah, a new category! I HAVE KEYS! I massacred one of my retirement accounts (didn't have that much) up and once checks clear, he'll sign over the title, but he already gave me the keys. I started a shopping list of things to make it quick and easy up there. I recycle and compost everything here, but there I will probably be a bit more wasteful, but looking for things that I can compost onsite. I'm really excited about this. The trailer is in a quiet part of the park with a small view of the lake, the neighbors are very nice and were glad to see that I'm not a big party type - heck, it's me and a 6 year old and our wildness will probably consist of running through sprinklers, BBQ and sitting around the fire pit with friends. Oh yes, and I'll need to explain why I'm digging holes and putting compostable plates in the ground.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:58 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

The camp!

I think you told us, but how far from your home is the camp? Pup and I started looking at land on a lake last year and the parameter was nothing farther than two hours or so. It got tabled for this year because we're residing and putting new windows on our other house that my daughter and her husband rent.

And we bought our biz which was EXPENSIVE. So no fun purchase like that this year. I will live vicariously!

You and your daughter will have such a lovely time. Is the lake swimmable for your exercising? You guys can swim every day you're there if that is the case. What fun - seriously.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fat Fast Day #2

Mr. Tanita is playing nice while I fat fast: 189.0 (I think fasting weight loss is like borrowing, not quite yours, but I'll take it for the new decade)

Blood: 0.5 - I wanted higher after a day of fat fast, so I am already planning/committing to fat fast tomorrow.

Simplification: Still thinking about it.
Job hunting: PROMISING - My references let me know company has already called them. 1 more reference to go. HR sent me a note saying they were proceeding to the references and background check and hoped to have an offer shortly. I feel really good about this. My references are solid and honest and I don't have anything in my background, so this one is very promising.
Cooking/food: HOLD - Nothing while I'm fat fasting. When I cook, I cook for several days and if I'm not going to start eating until Friday, then it seems silly to cook today.
Exercise: Not inclined to exercise while fat fasting, but maybe I'm using that as an excuse not to exercise.
House: SCORE! - the gal who helps with the housecleaning came today and we totally knocked out the garage - gosh, I think I could actually put my car in the garage. Shhhh, don't tell my ex - he thought I'd never get to it.
Yard/gardening: Too wet to do anything.
Camp: I was going to go out today and spend the night, but with the rainy weather I have more to do at home. I think I'm going to plan a get-together with friends a couple of weeks after I get everything set up - almost like an open house.

So, I guess this is pretty much a holding pattern waiting for job offer and for and the ketones reach the right levels. That's fine - waiting for a job offer is far better than not waiting for one and I'm actively fat fasting so the ketones need to get back into the zone at some point, right?
Old 06-12-2014, 05:11 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mr. Tanita was nicer than he needed to be: 187.6 (I'll take it - but, I know it's a borrowed number. There is something so tempting that makes me want to keep fasting because of the rapid loss even down to the 170's????? But, probably not a good idea with the risk of muscle loss).

Blood: 1.0 - I have arrived. This was the main purpose of the fat fast. I double splurged yesterday and took a couple mid-day readings 2.0 (afternoon) and 1.7 (evening)

While I thought I was going to fast another day, I think I'm going back to eating normally and see how the ketones look tomorrow. If they're down again, I'll go back to fasting. If they stay steady, I'll try to figure out what this all means. I listened to a long podcast about stalling (Jimmy Moore and Dr. Phinney) - Phinney was pretty adamant that ketosis is like standing on top of a sand dune. Steady when you're at the top and not moving, but very difficult if you lose your footing. I can see that, but I'm still mentally trying to fight that and look for exceptions. His take - once you're there, it's such a great place to be, why do something that jeopardizes the hard work. Wahhhhhhh - I like pizza. I need to find a way to reconcile all of this into something that can last for life.

Clothes are getting looser - found a great top while closet shopping and found some cargo capri pants in a drawer that should carry me over for the next month. I really need to go through more drawers - I thought the closet and my main dresser were enough, but there's another dresser with a lot of clothing. Maybe I'll tackle that today.

Simplification: Still thinking about it. Not feeling very inspired.
Job hunting: PROMISING - Still waiting. The references should go quickly, no idea about the background check. Staying patient.
Cooking/food: Steamed eggs and pesto with kielbasa.
House: Darn, I shouldn't have written about the garage yesterday, now i don't have anything for today. I did take 5 bags of clothes for donation - a couple of them were sentimental - one was my favorite maternity shirt and the other was the suit I wore for interviews at Dell right after graduation (can we say 1994?? But, you know, it was such a nice suit that I'd still wear it, but I don't expect the low 130's and my body shape being the same)
Yard/gardening: Too wet to do anything. At some point, I need to weed. It's lush out there, but lush weeds.
Camp: Nothing to do from here. Pulling Lindsey out of school after lunch and will drive up early so we can have Friday afternoon through Sunday there. Looking forward to it - will take pictures.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:49 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mr. Tanita pulled back the enthusiasm: 189 - that's fine, body fat was down from yesterday, so most likely hydration.

Blood: 0.7 (I think I'll stick it out, no fat fast)

Not going to worry about it - it's summer, there isn't 2 feet of snow in the driveway and we're headed to the lake!

My big question - whether or not to get internet service at the lake. I have a cell phone for emergencies and maybe it would be good to stay unconnected, not have the outlet for doing anything but enjoying the moment during the moment.

Just thought of a compromise - taking a small old portable DVD player with a couple of videos in case it rains. But, then maybe not, maybe just books and puzzles.

I shouldn't type before my coffee kicks in.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Puzzles and books sound perfect yes? Rainy days at the lake are fun. Is there a town to drive to? I remember heading to town and seeing movies in the old theater when I was a kid.

You guys are having a blast I know it!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mr. Tanita is consistent: 189 (rate of loss pretty much on hold because of last weekend's minor carb up).

Blood: 0.6 - I think it's pretty much safe to say any weekend carb up is going to mean 2 days of fat fast.

Still struggling with the eating clean all the time "approach". Spent the weekend at the camp and had too many pistachios Friday and Saturday night and a couple glasses of wine and some grazing on Saturday night. Sunday was completely clean. So, Monday was 0.4 - not surprised, but not thrilled.

Maybe that's it - maybe it's Monday and/or Tuesday if I carb up over the weekend. Weekend is when it's most likely to occur because I will be either up at the camp, out with friends, being a real person other than my low carb food hermit.

Simplification: Still thinking about it. Not feeling very inspired.
Job hunting: - received my offer yesterday, accepted today, starting July 7.
Cooking/food: Steamed eggs *yawn*
House: Time to drink some more coffee, take some B-12 and blitz the floors and walls.
Exercise: HOLD - went to urgent care with foot injury, thought had a fracture, but turns out some type of tendon injury so I'm keeping boots on to keep my foot immobile, so not going swimming and passing on weights. I'll play it by ear tomorrow and if no pain, then will start working out again. Also, don't want to exercise during fat fast.
Yard/gardening: Finally dry enough to go out there. Will finish weeding and planting some last minute seeds - hopefully things will stay warm enough this fall for everything to yield.
Camp: Turn on electric. I'm debating about cable - Lindsey really liked watching the shows I won't let her watch at home, but camp should be for enjoying the outdoors. I think it's going to depend on how much it costs.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KetoMama
WOE: Ketogenic/under 20 grams
Start Date: 5.22.14
Congrats on the new job! So exciting!
KetoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mr. Tanita is pretty tolerant: 187.8 (basically steady for past week or so amidst some real life eating).

Blood: 0.6 - Huge bump from yesterday's 0.1

Still struggling with real life eating, but overall, I think I've done pretty well - basically, I've eaten as if I were in maintenance.

Last weekend - total carb up at the camp, but came back and started clean on Monday with a fat fast. I actually begged out of getting together with my friend because I just didn't want to have to deal with eating - I wanted to hide at home and just fat fast.

Fast forward to Tuesday - Lunch after shopping and I did pretty well from behavior perspective (no main dish - Thai soup, a few pieces calamari and a couple of pieces of sushi). Ate clean the rest of the day. But - next day, ketones were 0.1 - yes, that accompanied "what the firetruck????" - fortunately, Lindsey didn't hear me and penalize me to pay 25 cents to the curse jar). Funny thing - I swear, she doesn't. She's a better person than me (no swearing, good portion control, open about her feelings).

So yesterday, I took a modified fat fast real life mix. Usual BPC for breakfast, lunch was a spoon of cottage cheese so I could throw out the container, 1 T. coconut oil and afternoon snack was 1 oz. macadamia nuts. Had to go to Lindsey's school for fundraiser BBQ - and fortunately, it was dry rub chicken, a tiny bit of cole slaw and nothing else. For pre-bed snack had soda with a couple of tablespoons HWC - which resulted in 0.6 today.

Soooo, what the heck does all of this mean???

This isn't easy - to incorporate real life and ketogenic diet. I truly admire those who stand strong and "don't cheat" months on end. I seem to cheat about once a week, even when it's not a deliberate "cheat" (I hate that term) but just making it through the day.

That said - in some ways, this is REALLY easy. Blow it one day (either deliberately or by circumstance) and fat fast the next day. Non-negotiable. That's working for me - the scale hasn't punished me for these choices, but the ketone meter is IN MY FACE (and my purse - at $2 per test). Honestly, that is what is keeping me on track. Every morning, I check my blood levels to give me resolve. On bad days, like yesterday, 0.1 in the morning, but by noon it was 0.4. Thank gawd!

I am grateful that I can blow it one day and start back the next day with a fat fast. This has been my saving grace through all of this. Easy to fat fast and that ketone meter is life my lifeline.

I don't feel like posting in the forums right now because I don't feel like I'm eating very admirably<???> - I don't know what the right word would be. It bothers me when I see lots of posts about not eating on plan in the Main Lobby and then bemoaning the weight gain. That's what happens - and I've dodged so many bullets these past few weeks.

So here I am, surviving as best I can, carbing up more than I want to, pricking my finger obsessively and fat fasting right after any carb up day.

Maybe I had to get this out - that I'm such an amateur, even after all of these years of eating low carb off and on.

Simplification: Yes, I have it - ALWAYS PUTTING MY CREDIT CARD BACK IN WALLET SLOT RATHER THAN MY POCKET WHEN PUMPING GAS.
Job: - Start July 14 - will go to New Mexico for a week prior to see my family since I'll have limited time off for the rest of the year.
Cooking/food: Spaghetti squash lasagne
House: Final sorting of last bin of stuff I consolidated to clear off the table a couple of months ago. I really need everything sorted asap.
Exercise: Foot is better, not broken but have only gone swimming once, no weights. It just doesn't feel like a priority, but I need to get into a rhythm once work starts. Goal would be: swimming 30 min (2X per week) and weights for 30 minutes (2X per week) - not necessarily same day for these.
Yard/gardening: More weeding - getting annoying, but I'm grateful for the rain.
Camp: Yeahhhhh! This is truly the highlight of my summer (aside from getting a job). Working on finding the right balance of taking Lindsey up there for a great childhood summer experience and MY time with friends. Invited one of Lindsey's friends up for Saturday - hope they can make it.

Ugh - well, finally wrote this all out and feel pretty lame about not eating cleanly, not exercising, but oh well - life is better than it was a few months ago. Writing this for me - maybe I'll come back later this year or next year and roll my eyes at such a whiney post.