Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!

I've been contemplating starting a journal for many months, and I think the time is now. After seriously being in weight loss mode for two solid years plus a little more, and with a good 50 pounds still to lose, I'm searching for a way to make the rest of my journey more livable, and how to come to goal weight the healthiest and strongest I can possibly be. Here goes!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Here's a copy of a post I made over on the JUDDD board a week or so ago. I probably should have just started this journal right then, because I was obviously trying to get my thoughts down and articulate my plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
At the risk of sounding like I'm trying eighty-zillion different things at one time, here's where my head is right now:

1. Easing into the Intuitive Eating arena. I'm not trying to do it full on yet, but making a real effort to be honest with myself about when/whether I'm hungry, and when I do eat, being fully present and mindful of every bite so I can enjoy it to the fullest, and realize when I'm done. Lots of reading planned on that front.

2. Eat More 2 Weigh Less (EM2WL). I have done lots of reading here, and feel I've been through a pretty decent metabolism reset with my recent break and rising calorie levels. Now I'm going into "cut" mode. they recommend a 10 - 15% below TDEE (incorporating current activity levels) and heavy lifting. So I am trying to eat a daily average of 1800 calories.

Math: Per recent Bod Pod results, my Lightly Active TDEE is 2119. I'm probably more at Moderate at this point. Although my time put in isn't as much, I'm working pretty heavily at the resistance training on UDs, so 3 - 4 times per week. At Moderate, my TDEE is 2426. Sticking with 2119 for now, but feel okay if I go a bit over.

2119 x .85 = 1801 x 2 = 3602 (2 day average)
DD: 800 - 1000 means UD: 2600 - 2800 and plenty of protein

Optional range:
2426 x .85 = 2062 x 2 = 4124 (2 day average)
DD: 800 - 1000 means UD: 2900 - 3100 and plenty of protein

That's plenty to eat on UDs, and it makes DDs easier to get through too. Back to that old JUDDD-newbie feeling of only dieting EOD.

3. I really want to do all this within the JUDDD framework, because I do believe in it for health improvements, longevity, and weight loss. It's become a way of life for me and I don't want to give it up.

4. You Are Your Own Gym (YAYOG). I'm doing the women's version of this plan by Mark Lauren. It's supposed to give similar results to heavy lifting, but without needing a gym membership and a whole lot of equipment. I'm on week 2 and loving it so far. I've already moved up several levels in each movement area, and I'm really motivated by seeing strength increases all the time. Since heavy lifting is part of the EM2WL routine, and helps keep my calories up, I feel I'm complying with all that and supporting muscle and strength growth. Hopefully also fat loss, although it will be slower than with straight JUDDD.

Sorry for the long, detailed post. I really wanted to get all this down, if for nothing but my own clarity of my plan.
Right at this moment, I'm struggling with whether or not I can successfully combine JUDDD with HDE/IE. I would like to, without counting calories, just naturally have days where I eat more and days where I eat less. So not formal JUDDDing I guess, but still getting the benefits of the up and down. I'm not sure that will work if I'm truly paying attention to my hunger.

I also worry that straight HDE/IE will not get the losses I'm looking for, and maybe is better for when I get closer to maintenance. It's really bugging me that I've gained a few pounds, and I really want to get back to where I was (174) and beyond to my goal of 140. Sometimes I think I should just go back to straight JUDDD until I'm much closer to goal.

I also worry that HDE/IE won't support the caloric and protein needs of my body now that I am doing some pretty serious resistance training. I don't want to give the training up because it feels fantastic, and I can tell I'm getting stronger and firmer. Good stuff!

But something about HDE/ID really resonates, and I would love to be able to live my life doing this.

So, I'm obviously flailing about a bit, and not really making any progress with anything except the training.

I'll be talking it out here, and hope to gain some insight into what it is I really should be doing. Hopefully I'll learn a lot more about myself and be able to move forward with a solid plan.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 05-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Happily following you, Carol.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Carol! I'm glad you started a journal.

I'm not sure how the HDE/IE would work with JUDDD, though JUDDD definitely prepares you for HDE and learning your hunger cues. I wouldn't be too concerned with HDE/IE not allowing you to meet your caloric needs with your exercise. I think our bodies are pretty amazing, and that, if you're truly in tune with your hunger cues, your body will tell you when/what/how much you need to support your activities.

It's really early in the process for me, so I can't back that up with personal anecdotes--just a feeling I have about the process. In The Overfed Head, he talks about how your body will naturally take you to the weight that's right for it. That resonates with me, and I just feel like it's probably true, if we're able to block out all the external noise and junk we've "learned" over the years. It's really scary, though, to trust our own bodies, when we've (I've) spent so many years feeling like my body was failing me, even though I know I've been failing it.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/190/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
So glad you started a journal! I have noticed that most people attempting to master HDE/IE are either maintainers or less focused on loss. So I'm intrigued to see how it works when trying to combine it with weight loss...or if maybe weight loss has to take a backseat as the focus but will happen naturally without even trying? It's been such a pleasure reading your thoughts and experiences, and I'm very excited to follow you here.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/120.2/120-122
WOE: Hunger Directed Eating/HDE
Looking forward to following along with you.
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
I'm having some of the same conflicting thoughts, Carol! What Dawn said resonates with me too, but will it actually work for weight loss? I don't know either! I'll be so interested to read your thoughts and follow your journey.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:03 AM   #8

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
OH CAROL - so glad you started a journal. I am marking my spot! I just love chatting with you! You are so insightful.

Cinco De Mayo day! SO WISH I could join you in your plans! Maybe next year???
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

How exciting to see so many old friends joining me here! Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Happily following you, Carol.
I'm so glad you're here, Kristin! Your insights are really valuable to me, and you are always able to put things in a way that make me think and explore myself further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Carol! I'm glad you started a journal.

I'm not sure how the HDE/IE would work with JUDDD, though JUDDD definitely prepares you for HDE and learning your hunger cues. I wouldn't be too concerned with HDE/IE not allowing you to meet your caloric needs with your exercise. I think our bodies are pretty amazing, and that, if you're truly in tune with your hunger cues, your body will tell you when/what/how much you need to support your activities.

It's really early in the process for me, so I can't back that up with personal anecdotes--just a feeling I have about the process. In The Overfed Head, he talks about how your body will naturally take you to the weight that's right for it. That resonates with me, and I just feel like it's probably true, if we're able to block out all the external noise and junk we've "learned" over the years. It's really scary, though, to trust our own bodies, when we've (I've) spent so many years feeling like my body was failing me, even though I know I've been failing it.
Dawn, you are so right! Of course my body will ask for more if I need it. And will specifically ask for more protein if that's what it needs. Duh! Thank you for saying that. As you can see, I still have some work to do in trusting my body. I need to just shut up and listen to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
So glad you started a journal! I have noticed that most people attempting to master HDE/IE are either maintainers or less focused on loss. So I'm intrigued to see how it works when trying to combine it with weight loss...or if maybe weight loss has to take a backseat as the focus but will happen naturally without even trying? It's been such a pleasure reading your thoughts and experiences, and I'm very excited to follow you here.
Thanks deedee. I am excited to see what happens too! For now I will try to do DDs as usual, and use HDE/IE for UDs without counting calories. Hopefully that will result in some losses. Slow is okay. Of course I would prefer fast losses, 100% of it being fat, fast muscle gains, no hunger, no deprivation. Dream on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post
Looking forward to following along with you.
Thanks CC! Your journal really lit the fire under me on the HDE/IE idea, and I really am so excited to learn new things about myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
I'm having some of the same conflicting thoughts, Carol! What Dawn said resonates with me too, but will it actually work for weight loss? I don't know either! I'll be so interested to read your thoughts and follow your journey.
Christina my friend! Our journeys keep paralleling each other in some really interesting ways. I'm so glad we'll have each other to compare experiences and results. We're going to make this work, girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
OH CAROL - so glad you started a journal. I am marking my spot! I just love chatting with you! You are so insightful.

Cinco De Mayo day! SO WISH I could join you in your plans! Maybe next year???
Monica! I'm so glad you're here, girl! Yes, next year you MUST come for my margaritas.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

I had a very successful DD yesterday. No stress, no real hunger. It felt good to recapture that nice, empty, lean feeling. This morning my middle doesn't feel so puffy and I can feel my hip bones and waist muscles and it feels good.

This evening is a bit of an eating celebration. Homemade chicken enchiladas, fresh guacamole, and margaritas! I'm going to eat calmly and intuitively during the day, and for dinner I'll have all the things I want, but I'm going to take small portions to start, instead of loading my plate right away like I usually do. If I want more, fine. If I'm satisfied, great.

I do plan to have all the margaritas I want. I'm aiming for a happy, silly feeling. I want to have that feeling for when I watch the big "24" premiere tonight. I hope it's really good, but if it's stupid, maybe I won't notice if I'm a little tipsy. What word should we listen for to take a slug every time we hear it? Suggestions?
Old 05-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #11

I've never watched 24, but I say take a slug every time the word "Jack" is mentioned.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohcmb
Stats: 205/191/160
Start Date: 2014 Restart
Woo! I have been wondering why you never had a journal for me to stalk!

Very jealous of your cinco de mayo plans! Trying to get in a good DD myself. I eat mexican type probably 3-4 times a week though so even though I want to celebrate with some margaritas and enchiladas I guess it is okay not to! Maybe tomorrow I will make myself a little homemade mexican meal with a skinny girl margarita. Yum!

I get what you mean about IE/HDE. I am trying to master intuitive eating and really understanding what my body is telling me myself. It is hard! I feel like I am getting good at it at times and its not that I don't know its just that sometimes I don't care. I know I am not actually hungry and don't need to eat but I do anyway. Meh. Life.

I, myself, haven't really been JUDDDing I guess but just doing something that slightly resembles it. I have only been getting in 1-2 good DDs a week as of late. My other "DDs" have been more like medium days. I guess it is better to do what you can/will do than to do nothing at all. But I am trying to get some solid DDs in and get myself back on track.

We shall see..

enjoy your UD Cinco celebration tonight! And know all of us on DDs are completely jealous!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #13

Quote:
I do plan to have all the margaritas I want. I'm aiming for a happy, silly feeling. I want to have that feeling for when I watch the big "24" premiere tonight. I hope it's really good, but if it's stupid, maybe I won't notice if I'm a little tipsy. What word should we listen for to take a slug every time we hear it? Suggestions?
OH girl, I can't wait for 24 tonight! I may not have time to watch it tonight, but the DVR is set. I love me some KEEFER!!!!!!!!!! Buzz word, heck, how about everytime he says CLOE??? You may get too tipsy with that!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I've never watched 24, but I say take a slug every time the word "Jack" is mentioned.
now, that would be even worse than CLOE!!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

You guys are trying to get me flat out DRUNK!

CMB, I'm so glad you found me over here! I think if you are rotating at all, you're doing good. We just have to quit expecting ourselves to be perfect all the time. I think we really get messed up when we do that. I was able to stay pretty close to perfect for a long time, and now I just don't want to mess with it. Fatigue!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I've never seen 24 but sounds like you're in for a fun night! Super jealous!!
ohcmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Hi Carol, I'm joining the party!

I don't know how IE or HDE fits with JUDDD, but whatever works, right?
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:45 AM   #18

How did yesterday go? I watched 24, did you????? I thought it was good. Cloe was never my fave, but she was been in ALL of the seasons. I just don't feel that girl can ACT! KWIM? I thought last night was a good show. I am anxious to see how they will tie it all together!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
I am so happy you have decided to start a journal! I am looking forward to following along as well.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoxyRoller
Stats: 315/259/200 next weigh 8/1/14
WOE: Calorie controlled, average 75 carbs per day
Start Date: December 30, 2013
I'll be following along. I like your first post with all the math...I learned something already! TDEE! Total Daily Energy Expenditure!
RoxyRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

How was your DD today??
ohcmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks everyone! Flying by right now but will post about yesterday and today's DD later!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Hi Carol, I'm joining the party!

I don't know how IE or HDE fits with JUDDD, but whatever works, right?
So glad you're here, Carly!

I'm learning how they go together day by day. I'm thinking DDs are just normal DDs, and UDs are more intuitive and pay attention to when I'm hungry or satisfied. We'll see....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
How did yesterday go? I watched 24, did you????? I thought it was good. Cloe was never my fave, but she was been in ALL of the seasons. I just don't feel that girl can ACT! KWIM? I thought last night was a good show. I am anxious to see how they will tie it all together!
Yesterday went great! I was very pleased how I controlled my eating. Drinking was in control but generous! I thought 24 was really good! Very pleased with it, as I thought that last season was a total waste and I was nervous about this new one. Yeah, I agree about Cloe. She's not my favorite character, but it wouldn't seem quite right without her either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
I am so happy you have decided to start a journal! I am looking forward to following along as well.
Thanks Babs, I'm so glad you're here! You look absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRoller View Post
I'll be following along. I like your first post with all the math...I learned something already! TDEE! Total Daily Energy Expenditure!
Thanks for coming over Rox! I'm glad you liked all that math. It made my head hurt a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcmb View Post
How was your DD today??
DD today was great. I didn't have any trouble at all sticking to it. I also didn't count my calories, but knowing, as I do, the counts to most things I eat on DDs, I'd say I was well under 600, if not 500.

Yesterday I was able to control my celebratory eating very, very well. I was so pleased with myself. I only make enchiladas once a year, and sometimes that sets up the scarcity thoughts and that I want to eat more than I really need to. But I was very conscious of the portion I took to start with, and it was plenty. And very delicious. I am still struggling with sensing when things stop tasting as amazing as they did on the first few bites. I think that's going to take more time for me to get the hang of than just feeling when I'm getting satisfied. I will continue working on that.

This morning when I woke up I actually felt lighter, flatter and leaner. Crazy! After an evening of drinking freely, and those drinks being sugary, salty nightmares of super-goodness. And my head was telling me I had so much food, but I really didn't, and that may be the key. Feeling the lack of bloat and puff that usually follows such indulgences. Nice!

Tomorrow's dinner is a repeat of Monday - leftovers! So I get to practice again with the same foods, which is great.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 AM   #24

You are doing great girl! I love LEFTOVERS like that!

I agree on 24. I like the after story they are bringing together with the current. Keep on rocking this IE thing girl!
Old 05-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #25

Carol, I suspect I'm a super-taster. So far, everything seems to taste just the same at the last bite as it did at the first bite. I'm relying heavily on other cues (stomach feelings mainly) to tell me when I'm satisfied.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Dawn, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling this way about the taste thing. I didn't know the name for that (super-taster) but that is very interesting. So we're superheroes, eh?

I had this feeling this morning as I was doing my workout. I just have this gut feeling that if I can master this HDE/IE most of the time, not demanding I be perfect, but just good, solid practicing of it, that I will lose fat. It was almost like I could feel my body telling me I'm on the right track with the exercise and the eating. It felt so great.

I woke up feeling hungry, which is really unusual for me. It wasn't an uncomfortable feeling, just that growly, gnawing feeling. I haven't eaten yet though, because it has passed. I have a busy morning and day, but I'm going to stop for a good coffee treat later on.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Hi Carol I just found your journal I will be stalking tooooooo!
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Dawn, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling this way about the taste thing. I didn't know the name for that (super-taster) but that is very interesting. So we're superheroes, eh?

Quote:
I had this feeling this morning as I was doing my workout. I just have this gut feeling that if I can master this HDE/IE most of the time, not demanding I be perfect, but just good, solid practicing of it, that I will lose fat. It was almost like I could feel my body telling me I'm on the right track with the exercise and the eating. It felt so great.

I woke up feeling hungry, which is really unusual for me. It wasn't an uncomfortable feeling, just that growly, gnawing feeling. I haven't eaten yet though, because it has passed. I have a busy morning and day, but I'm going to stop for a good coffee treat later on.

Have a great day everyone!
I love what you'e saying about how you just KNOW you will lose fat if you're consistent with this even if not perfect (and when are we ever?).

Also ... I can't find the source right now, but I've read that increased hunger can be a sign your metabolism is speeding up -- or maybe you're just eating more lightly overall? -- wither way, I think it's exciting that you're feeling that unusual morning hunger!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Reading and following! Everything's sounding good.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm glad it's going well. I had no name for this, but all my UDs are HD days or IE days. I guess since I was never one to over eat it's just ordinary for me.

Now if I could just manage to never sleepwalk eat again- EVER!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote