Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 05:49 AM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Monica, I'm the same way!

Carol, I did that once, early on in my JUDDD path, with coke/diet coke. Only I didn't catch it until I finished the whole thing.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2014, 06:10 AM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I had an embarrassingly OTT meltdown a few weeks ago when I discovered DH fibbed that the Total he'd bought was fat-free. I knew it couldn't be because, much as I adore FF total Greek Yoghurt, it's a completely different mouthfeel to the whole version. But, he dug himself a hole by fibbing further - as I discovered the next day when I moved the container in the fridge.

I was uncharacteristically ballistic. In my defence, it made my macros wrong and may have contributed to a visual disturbance that was otherwise baffling me.

It would have been bad enough if I'd accidentally done it to myself, but it was the deliberate deception, and not owning up to it when I queried it that compounded the issue. (Yes, he realised it was the wrong one which is why he offered to serve it when I said I was going to fetch some for us. )

August 2014 In March I had a DXA scan which revealed very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #123
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Yes, I've done the "here taste this" bit when eating out too!

Kristin, isn't it funny how simple tastes like toast and butter are so vivid from childhood. I loved that too, and had kind of forgotten how great it tasted. I need to try and remember the things that sent me over the moon when I was a kid.

Slow, how funny that DH didn't want to own up to it. Especially knowing that keeping your macros in check are so important to how you feel. I don't blame you for being irritated. Poor guy, I hope he won't try and pull that one again!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!

Last edited by LoCarbGal; 05-23-2014 at 07:51 AM..
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #124
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
LCG, my mom used to make us cinnamon toast in the oven. Toast with pats of butter sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Slow, I get your frustration with the yoghurt fib or any dissembling, but there is something extremely sweet about this being the point of anger given all the horrendous lying that goes on out there.
You're like a British or Canadian parody of Breaking Bad, if you know what I mean.
Hope things have settled.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
LCG, my mom used to make us cinnamon toast in the oven. Toast with pats of butter sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.
That was one of my favorites!
CarolinaCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
That was also something very yummy for me, too. I now like cinnamon and sweetener sprinkled on cottage cheese
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
That was also something very yummy for me, too. I now like cinnamon and sweetener sprinkled on cottage cheese
Me, too! And I also add vanilla.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Or in ricotta. That used to be my favorite treat when I did low carb. Either cinnamon and sweetener, or pumpkin pie spice and sweetener.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Great additions. I never thought about pumpkin pie spice, but I love that!
Old 05-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #131
Big Yapper!!!!

Cinnamon toast was always a favorite! I haven't had that in decades. Funny, the sweetened yogurt and cottage cheese ideas have never appealed to me. For some reason I like those dairy products more savory. I love salted cottage cheese! And plain, tangy yogurt has always been my preference. I guess I save my sweetened dairy fixes for ice cream/froyo.

Speaking of ice cream, there was too much of it last night. I could kind of feel my IE day unraveling when I was eating my lunch. I had a decent serving of shrimp and pasta. I could just feel that I wanted to eat more it would probably take to satisfy me. I just wanted to enjoy the sensation. Except that I ate way too fast and didn't enjoy it to the fullest. At dinner I had a larger portion than I needed too. As I was filling my plate I could tell it was more than I needed, but I wanted it. I was 100% aware of what I was doing, and still made the conscious decision to do it.

So then came dessert. Ice cream. Yummy and way too much.

I don't think I was reacting to the restriction of the previous DD. I really honestly don't. I think I'm adjusting to not needing as much food, and am resenting the smaller portions. I think I may need to start using smaller plates and bowls so the visual isn't so obviously less than before.

One other little niggling thought is, I wonder if maybe my body really is telling me I need more on UDs since the average between UDs and DDs is just not enough. At no point yesterday, until after the ice cream, did I feel "too full". I felt very comfortable after eating even the larger dinner. My workouts are getting more challenging all the time, and I always do them early on my UDs, so maybe I am needing more fuel. And my head is very likely getting in my way of interpreting the signals. I'll get better at that, I'm sure.

Ready for a good DD today. So far I've had only iced tea and not a rumble in sight. Movin' on............
Old 05-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I think I'm adjusting to not needing as much food, and am resenting the smaller portions.
YES! YES! YES!!! This is a big problem for me right now, huge! Glad I'm not the only one.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
I've felt that way too ... just this morning, I was really annoyed that I didn't need my whole bowl of delicious oatmeal. I wonder if one thing that might help with this is to eat more slowly and to really savor each bite. I'm still not great at doing that. I did fully enjoy the first few bites of oatmeal, then I sort of went on autopilot, but was able to recognize that this time 2/3 of it was all I needed and stop. That does not always happen.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #134
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
I am with you girls on the idea of eating smaller portions but I feel like I have to do this, as eating larger portions makes me more hungry.

Chris, I think you have a point on eating slowly. I have to learn how to do it.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

I have gotten into the habit of using a smaller plate. I find that way I really have enough food. If I want another bite, I will find something else. I'm also using a smaller bowl for my salad and that is working well too.

When a small plate, lunch sized as opposed to dinner size plate, is full, it looks like more food.

Last night my hubby and I were going to share two meals. The first was loaded nachos, the best description I could make, and then we were going to share a Cobb salad. Half way through my share of the nachos I was full. He said he was getting full, too. We asked if the salad had been made yet and the server said no, we could cancel that part of the order,so we did.

We were sitting outside right on the ocean. We just sat, finished our wine and then walked home. It was a lovely evening with plenty of food. I didn't have anything else, hubby probably had a low carb cheese cake muffin I make him. I went to sleep earlier than he did.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #136

Sea, DH and I have been sharing meals more lately and I find it works out great. Since he had WLS, he eats much smaller portions, and I feel as satisfied with half a meal as I do with a whole meal.

Today, we got 2 meals at a Mexican place, brought them home, shared them 3 ways (with Keira, DH, and me), and still had leftovers. Plus, DH and Keira each had flan and I got carrot cake (thanks CC!!). I had 4 or 5 bites of my carrot cake and put the rest in the fridge. Easy peasy (for now anyway).

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Love my carrot cake!
Old 05-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like you had a great dinner, too, Dawn!

And....carrot cake for today! YUM
Old 05-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #139
Big Yapper!!!!

The eating more slowly and really savoring every bite is a challenge for me. I start out doing it, but 3 or 4 bites in I can feel myself go on autopilot. I really need to take Spinardi's advice and find a place where I do nothing but eat. Like the dining table (novel idea!). Usually I eat sitting on the couch or on the floor at the coffee table, and I usually am reading/watching TV/at the computer at the same time. I do need to stop doing that.

Sea and Dawn, I really like hearing about how you are comfortably splitting meals and not feeling deprived. Dawn, how does DH feel by now (mentally) about having to have such smaller amounts of food. I know it a physical necessity, but I mean does he feel cheated or has he become accustomed to it? I just wonder if hearing his perspective now that some time has passed might help us all understand how we will adjust over time.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #140

He doesn't seem to have had any issues at all mentally or emotionally. He overdid it a time or two, but didn't like the way he felt, and really seems to have a handle on how much he needs and when he should stop. I think it helps that he can still have whatever he wants, within reason, sort of what I'm striving for myself. He's eating sort of "forced intuitively."
Old 05-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
He doesn't seem to have had any issues at all mentally or emotionally. He overdid it a time or two, but didn't like the way he felt, and really seems to have a handle on how much he needs and when he should stop. I think it helps that he can still have whatever he wants, within reason, sort of what I'm striving for myself. He's eating sort of "forced intuitively."
He is very fortunate. Not everyone who has WLS is as successful. You have both made amazing changes. It does go to show that what is correct for one person is not always correct for someone else.

It's good we keep tweaking to make ourselves as happy and healthy as possible.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:36 AM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
I remember being young, young, and swooning with the taste of toast and butter in my mouth. Man, it felt like love and comfort and coziness. Even then, food was the way I tried to change my feelings.
This makes me far more compassionate toward my stumbling when eating according to hunger.
Thanks for all the great stories.
When I was little and sick my momma would always make me buttery toast and vegetable beef soup. I still want that when I'm feeling icky. All about the love, comfort, and coziness! Well said.
DaisyGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:20 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Hey Carol I did the same thing with Sunkist this week. I got a small bottle opened it up as I left the store and took a big slurp. It tasted so good after not having any in about a year that I double checked to make sure it was diet. Mine was but it sure did not taste like it. Had to go back and have another the next day. HEHEHE!!!

Have a great holiday.
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #144
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
My problem is not that I eat big portions at one time, but that I want to eat continuously on UDs, especially at work. I'll go get some cottage cheese, eat that, then an hour later I want something else. Then I eat lunch. By the time the day's over, I've already had 1200 calories sometimes. Ironically, or not, I find UDs easier at home, but DDs harder...I can usually easily do without food at work on DDs, but find it almost impossible to fast through the day on UDs.

I bought a single serving of strawberry cheesecake for my dessert last night, and it was a large piece. I believe it said "colossal". I gave bf the last 3rd (or 4th), but it was a sacrifice.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #145
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
That's fantastic. He's the perfect example of when WLS can work, because he was ready to make the changes necessary AFTER the surgery to make it work. So many people think the surgery itself is a magic bullet, but aren't ready to make changes to their eating. I'm so impressed with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGG View Post
When I was little and sick my momma would always make me buttery toast and vegetable beef soup. I still want that when I'm feeling icky. All about the love, comfort, and coziness! Well said.
For sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windygap View Post
Hey Carol I did the same thing with Sunkist this week. I got a small bottle opened it up as I left the store and took a big slurp. It tasted so good after not having any in about a year that I double checked to make sure it was diet. Mine was but it sure did not taste like it. Had to go back and have another the next day. HEHEHE!!!

Have a great holiday.
Well, I'm glad yours was diet and you could enjoy it. I was so bummed. I got a 2 liter of diet (triple checked) for 99 cents yesterday and it's in the fridge waiting for me today. I just hope that taste of the real stuff didn't ruin me for it.

Quote:
My problem is not that I eat big portions at one time, but that I want to eat continuously on UDs, especially at work. I'll go get some cottage cheese, eat that, then an hour later I want something else. Then I eat lunch. By the time the day's over, I've already had 1200 calories sometimes. Ironically, or not, I find UDs easier at home, but DDs harder...I can usually easily do without food at work on DDs, but find it almost impossible to fast through the day on UDs.

I bought a single serving of strawberry cheesecake for my dessert last night, and it was a large piece. I believe it said "colossal". I gave bf the last 3rd (or 4th), but it was a sacrifice.
Hey, good job! Baby steps, right? What you described above is why I try so hard not to have anything early on a DD. Once I have a bite of anything, I want more.

I'm having 2 UDs in a row this weekend. I hesitate to call them UDs anymore, but it's easier. I think of them more as IE days or maybe just non-DDs. Today I'm going to a friend's house for a pool/50th birthday party. She said there will be snackables but no huge spread. Plenty of alcohol. I will NOT be swimming or putting on a swimsuit, but I have some comfy shorts and I can dangle my feet in the pool. Then tomorrow is my family's get together. Grilled steaks, potato salad, ice cream, and like Alex Trebek says, potent potables. My goal is to enjoy everything I want, slowly and mindfully, and to not feel at all stuffed. I know I'll have more fun and enjoy myself more if I'm feeling light. Plus it takes less beverage to feel "happy" with less food in my system.

Now, off I go to get in my heavy duty YAYOG workout for the week!
Old 05-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Have fun this weekend Carol!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #147
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
Your 2 non-fasting days sound fun. Enjoy it Carol!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:09 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Oh I want to go I want to go Pleaseeeeeeeeeees. That all sounds yum yum.
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoxyRoller
Stats: 315/259.8/200 next weigh 9/1/14
WOE: Calorie controlled, average 75 carbs per day
Start Date: December 30, 2013
Hope you have a wonderful time!!!
RoxyRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #150
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks friends!

It turned out to be a very nice day Monday, but Sunday was a bit dicey. After I posted that last thing about my plans, I started feeling.....not so great. TMI stuff I won't go into. Suffice it to say I did not make it to my friend's and didn't eat a whole lot until much later in the day, and then it was small, careful amounts.

Yesterday I felt much better and enjoyed all the planned treats and fun. And alcohol was aplenty, but well spaced out. And I admit I never felt overstuffed, but I definitely went past mere satisfaction. And I didn't much care either.

My YAYOG workout Sunday morning was a doozy. It was the 54 minute "dynamic efforts" workout, and I advanced to the next position on a couple of moves. My arms were wobbly and trembly afterwards and I was quite sore yesterday, but it was a good feeling. I won't do another YAYOG until tomorrow, so 2 rest days, but that may be best since I really did have a good one Sunday - the additional recovery day may be just right.

This morning I woke up and did NOT feel like doing a DD. I was talking myself into having another non-fasting day today, but I got on here and started reading, and realized I really do want to fast to keep my body guessing and feel that lovely empty feeling. So I'm DDing it afterall.