Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
I would panic, too! I've found re-reading "Skinny Jeans" over and over to be helpful. It's easy to let the principles slip away.
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #152
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I'm in near-panic mode right now too Christina. My gain is all my fault, and I know it's because I've been pushing the limits and not truly listening to my hunger cues. I'm going to track calories again starting this week, not limiting, but paying better attention. I did fine the first month when I was tracking, felt perfectly satisfied and maintained pretty well. As soon as I stopped tracking, I also stopped listening to my satiety, I think. Hmm.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
It's really hard, right? A lifetime of mindless eating and I actually think a diet is easier. I'm happier doing IE but it's really hard to not slip back into mindless eating. Paying attention at every meal, and even every bite is hard. Esp if you're like me and rhythmic mindless eating is soothing, so forcing myself to pay attention is almost like denying myself comfort. It's weird.

Panic, yeah I think we're all familiar with that. That feeling of if I don't get control right now my whole life is gonna spin out of control. I was in a blind panic right before I started IE. I haven't weighed this whole time because I know how easy it is for me to get in panic mode. For me, and please don't think I'm saying this is for anyone else, I know I have to overcome the very things that make me an overweight person before I can even think about weight loss. I've often thought in the past that if I could just learn how to do maintenance it would be a good idea to try that before I went on my diet. But panic and impatience for the weight to come off now! always prevented me from trying it. So if I go on a diet, even ones that seem to work for others (and your success gives me hope for the future!) I know until I work through my issues fully and completely with IE an attempt at a diet will ultimately in the long wrong put me right back to square one, and probably more likely at square -2, lol.

But that's just me, we all have to figure out what we need individually on our own personal journey. Even ones who's approach is different than mine give me so many ideas about how to proceed in the future, and makes me feel like I'm not alone in this quest.

"The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment."

"Our perception gathers proof that our beliefs are right."
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post
I would panic, too! I've found re-reading "Skinny Jeans" over and over to be helpful. It's easy to let the principles slip away.
Yes! I'm going to re-read this. I'm also going to take a page out of your book and do some optional (can quit if needed) lower cal/down-ish days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm in near-panic mode right now too Christina. My gain is all my fault, and I know it's because I've been pushing the limits and not truly listening to my hunger cues. I'm going to track calories again starting this week, not limiting, but paying better attention. I did fine the first month when I was tracking, felt perfectly satisfied and maintained pretty well. As soon as I stopped tracking, I also stopped listening to my satiety, I think. Hmm.
Yes, I have also been pushing the limits. I will give myself a pat on the back for never getting overfull or bingy but I have to be honest and say that I do sometimes eat when I'm not hungry and I don't always stop as soon as I could and have not paid as close attention as I did in the beginning. I think this is all part of the learning process. It helps me a LOT to not be alone in the learning! We'll figure this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattbelly View Post
It's really hard, right? A lifetime of mindless eating and I actually think a diet is easier. I'm happier doing IE but it's really hard to not slip back into mindless eating. Paying attention at every meal, and even every bite is hard. Esp if you're like me and rhythmic mindless eating is soothing, so forcing myself to pay attention is almost like denying myself comfort. It's weird.

Panic, yeah I think we're all familiar with that. That feeling of if I don't get control right now my whole life is gonna spin out of control. I was in a blind panic right before I started IE. I haven't weighed this whole time because I know how easy it is for me to get in panic mode. For me, and please don't think I'm saying this is for anyone else, I know I have to overcome the very things that make me an overweight person before I can even think about weight loss. I've often thought in the past that if I could just learn how to do maintenance it would be a good idea to try that before I went on my diet. But panic and impatience for the weight to come off now! always prevented me from trying it. So if I go on a diet, even ones that seem to work for others (and your success gives me hope for the future!) I know until I work through my issues fully and completely with IE an attempt at a diet will ultimately in the long wrong put me right back to square one, and probably more likely at square -2, lol.

But that's just me, we all have to figure out what we need individually on our own personal journey. Even ones who's approach is different than mine give me so many ideas about how to proceed in the future, and makes me feel like I'm not alone in this quest.
I agree ... in some ways, dieting is easier. (less thought involved ... eat what's on plan or your set number of calories rather than think about hunger levels). I think I've gotten a bit less careful lately, slipping into old habits, so I'm going to correct that before I consider doing anything else. Still learning from it all and from all of you as well!

Last edited by calichris; 06-16-2014 at 02:13 PM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:42 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post
Me too! I've read it in it's entirety probably 3 or 4 times, but I pick it up and reread the HDE principles pretty often. It's helpful!
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Scale down 3 pounds today, so situation not as bad as it seemed yesterday. Phew.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Old 06-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #158
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Christina, I was catching up with your journal this morning and was so glad to get to this last post! I'm relieved for you that your weight is coming back down. I know it's normal to gain a few as we learn how to HDE, but we've all worked so hard to get weight off, it's disheartening to think we have to gain any back at all to learn how to do this.

I tried the window at one point too, and it didn't work too well for me. Or rather, I didn't work it well. I enjoyed it, but I think I let myself eat way too much, every day. I always think about trying it again some time, but I think I need to be better versed in IE first.

And I'm with you on not getting overly full, but perhaps not stopping when I'm satisfied. I still view food as a reward and a comfort. :sigh:

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Carol! I'm now "only" up 3.5 pounds, so that is much less scary. Also, other than those two days, my graph is showing a gradual downward trend with the eating window, so I'm interested to see if I combine the window with IE if I will lose that way. Trying to follow James Clear's advice of alternating a lower carb/lower cal day and a higher carb/higher cal day (workout day) in the window. Here's hoping!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, now I am going to faint in the other direction. The scale went down two more pounds today! Yesterday was awesome. I forgot to bring a lunch to work (I'm going in this week to work on my summer project), so I just powered through, and I really only had one twinge of hunger. So I had my first meal at 4:30 (turkey, veggies, quest bar, and fruit), worked out, had a post-workout shake, a skinny cow ice cream and still finished my window at 8. (oh, by the way, I experimented on a workout recovery shake and it turned out yummy: milk, scoop vanilla protein powder, banana, and 2T PB2.) I was a touch hungry after 8, but no big deal. Also a bit hungry this morning, but it passed very quickly.

I feel too like with the window I just am not as hungry and have hardly any cravings. Dr. Mercola said that would happen, but I didn't believe him.
Plus I'm feeling good and finding it really easy. We'll just have to see if this continues. Sometimes there's a honeymoon period with a new plan that seems great and then is not as great later. Hoping this continues!

Last edited by calichris; 06-18-2014 at 10:17 AM..
Old 06-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
That is awesome Chris!!!

May I pick your brain? I do a strenuous boot camp work out at 5:45 in the morning and usually come home and have a protein shake right away. Then I have a TB of coconut oil in my coffee and get ready for work. I'd like to do an 8 hr window of IF(11-7), but am wondering if I will be doing my body a disservice by not having that protein right after working out? Also.....if I skipped the shake and just had the CO in my coffee would I be breaking the fast?

I'm so confused as to what to do!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

Chris, that is exciting! I love the way this is working for you!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_:) View Post
That is awesome Chris!!!

May I pick your brain? I do a strenuous boot camp work out at 5:45 in the morning and usually come home and have a protein shake right away. Then I have a TB of coconut oil in my coffee and get ready for work. I'd like to do an 8 hr window of IF(11-7), but am wondering if I will be doing my body a disservice by not having that protein right after working out? Also.....if I skipped the shake and just had the CO in my coffee would I be breaking the fast?

I'm so confused as to what to do!
I know! It's all so confusing! I've been reading that a lot of people doing the IF window work out fasted on purpose (Leangains especially), but they take BCAAs first. Not everyone agrees that it is necessary to have protein immediately after a workout, and probably the BCAAs plus protein at your first meal in the window would be fine. I don't always have a recovery shake, but last night I felt like I hadn't eaten enough for a workout day!

I'm going on the bulletproof coffee guy's theory that fats alone do not break the fast. Hope that is correct. The heavy cream and MCT oil in my coffee really help me to not be hungry throughout the day.

Let me know how it goes!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Thanks Chris! I think I'll just have to do some experimenting to see what feels & works best!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #165

Old 06-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #166
Big Yapper!!!!

Two more pounds gone!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So here's a little update on the eating window. I unintentionally did a two-hour window yesterday .... I was focused on a project for work and after my version of bulletproof coffee I just didn't really get hungry or feel like eating until after work. I had a black bean bowl and a piece of tres leches cake from El Pollo Loco, a Quest bar, a nectarine, and a banana between 4:30 and 6:30. Then I went to yoga. I was just a bit hungry later in the evening, but no big deal. One thing I'm really liking about the window is that after my window is over, there's only a few hours before bed. I don't snack during that time even if I'm a touch hungry (and I don't need to, it's never more than a twinge), but then even if I'm a bit hungry before bed, I'm not hungry the next day. So it's all feeling a bit easy right now. The next day the scale went up about 1/2 pound, but no big deal (cake carbs?)

Today, I had coffee in the morning, a Quest bar at 2:00, then met a friend for happy hour at 4 and had two peach margaritas and split an appetizer sampler. Then at 7 I had a child size frozen yogurt and an individual size bag of sour grapefuit chewy candy. It wasn't my healthiest day, but that's ok because it was fun and delicious; it was in a 6 hour window; and it was pretty good on the IE too, so feeling good about the day. I need some days like this in whatever plan I have or I won't last for long.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:09 PM   #168
Big Yapper!!!!

Great to hear about your good days! I love that the window works so well for you. And those peach margaritas sound soooooo good!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #169

Sounds great. I wish I could get into eating in a window. Every time I try, I do well for a few days, then really want to eat outside my window. I think it's more about restriction, and if I could just train my body, it would work beautifully. I'm watching your journal with interest. I love that the window is working with IE for you, and really hoping it's the answer you seek.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have had the tiniest feeling of restriction if I feel snacky late at night, but no more than anything else I would do that wasn't just eating anything I want, even IE. So far during the day it hasn't been a problem, which I don't really understand and I'm attributing to the bulletproof coffee?? Or if I'm really lucky, that I'm starting to burn fat for fuel instead of carbs, which is supposed to take your cravings/hunger away! I hope it's that!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Can't remember what you put in your coffee. And do you put it in the blender or just stir it?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I tried the blender thing for one day, and I thought ... no way will I do this every day. The bulletproof executive guy got the idea for the butter in Nepal or someplace like that, where they stirred yak butter into the tea. But butter is just heavy cream whipped until it gets hard, right? So I am just using heavy cream, and I also have a teaspoon of MCT oil just straight from the spoon. It doesn't add anything to the coffee so I'm taking it like medicine. It's supposed to be available to the body quicker or something. So no blending ... I just stir the cream in.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #173
Big Yapper!!!!

Mmmmm coffee and hwc. I have come to enjoy my morning cup so much. HWC is almost pure fat, so I think you're right about it being not so far from the butter concept. I like that you're using MCT oil medicinally. I've been doing something similar with coconut butter. It's more palatable than pure CO, and it is delicious and feels like a treat. I've been taking my supplements with a little spoon of it in the mornings.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've never had coconut butter, but it sounds more tasty than the tasteless MCT oil.

The window continues to be easy and mostly hunger-free. In fact, my windows have been getting smaller and smaller because I'm trying to do hunger-directed eating and I'm not getting hungry until later and later. Usually the window is now 6 hours or less. It's hard to tell what is going on with the scale, because some days have been lower carb than others, and I don't care about water weight ... I just care about FAT. As of today I am down 4.2 from the high that freaked me out a week ago and up 2.3 from the start of when I started tracking on May 4th. I am feeling like I am making progress, especially when I eat healthy most of the time in the window. Still evaluating how it's working for weight loss ... updates will be posted here!
Old 06-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Did you start taking the MCT oil when you started the window, or were you already using it? I'm curious about your morning hunger and if the oil helps diminish it. I have some which I used in my coffee for awhile, but I was using a tbsp and was concerned about the straight fat calories. It's just sitting in there and I'm not sure what to do with it. Wondering if a tsp in the mornings like you're doing may be helpful.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #176
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

When I first started, I didn't have MCT oil, so I used coconut oil. I got the MCT oil about 10 days ago. I don't know if it's the oil or just adapting to the window, but the window is really no problem at all!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

In other news, I find myself dreading the phase 2 workouts in The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I really enjoyed phase 1, but some exercises in Phase 2 are just uncomfortable. Planks, split lunges (one foot elevated), deadlift off a step....maybe I need to reduce the reps for awhile. Except I have a feeling once I get there I won't do that...I'll want to try to do them all. Maybe it will get easier. Some of the exercises are great, it's just some I dread.

On the plus side, I have new muscles! If only they showed a little more.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #178
Big Yapper!!!!

I just love hearing about your new muscles. I'm finding something similar with my workouts. I loved the quick progress I made in the beginning, and it kept me going through the (then) uncomfortable moves. Now that my "newbie gains" in strength are naturally slowing down, I'm more uncomfortable moving on to the newer, more challenging positions.

I am also feeling like backing off a little and more rest is what I want/need. I can't remember where I read this recently, but it was something to the effect of the more advanced/heavier/more challenging the lifts/moves, the more rest days in between workouts that is necessary. That it is a mistake to stay on the EOD schedule of lifting as you progress. I don't know if it's true, but it's enticing!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:23 AM   #179

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
You are doing really well! I love following your journey!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was getting frustrated with my apparent lack of weight loss in the last week, but then I averaged out my weekly weights for the past 8 weeks, and it looked like this
week 1: +0.9
week 2: - 0.3
week 3: +1.0
week 4: +0.5
week 5: +1.0
week 6: stayed the same
week 7: -0.75

So, the eating window (last couple weeks or so) *has* given me better results than straight IE, although I was learning (and learned a lot!) doing straight IE and so I'm not going to be upset about going up a few pounds (to be expected). However, I'm ready to start moving again ... definitely want to take off the few pounds I've gained (Seems to be about 3. One of those could possibly be muscle) and want to get back under 200 and then beyond!

Since I seem to be losing a little on the window only, I want to kick it up a notch, so I'm going to keep the eating window, and add rotations. So there will be down days of 300-800 calories, and IE up days within the eating window. I'm shooting for 2, 3, or EOD down days, just depending on what's going on this week and how I'm feeling. Keeping it intuitive. Also trying to watch carbs without being overly strict about it. Just watched a Dr. Berg video, in which he says that protein is the number one fat burning food, but it's important to watch the portion sizes (3-6 oz per meal), keep it a high quality protein, and have it with veggies. So I'm thinking about basing my plan on one or two meals like that whenever nothing special is going on, without making it strict. I will have permission at any time to change the plan for that day if I'm feeling restricted or anything.

One thing that has been putting a wrench in my eating window is that I signed up to work at a fireworks booth almost every night from 5-9. That is when I have my main meal of the day, and I can't do that at the booth. I was trying to eat before, but it didn't work as well ... so I might have to be flexible about the window this week.

Yesterday I had a day off from the booth. I was going out to dinner with my book club, so I had a very light lunch, and then I was starving at dinner. It was so delicious, and I definitely had enough, but was craving more! So then later, I ate after my window. So a little bit of an off day, but I think the fireworks schedule is messing with me!

However, since I'm fueled with lots of calories from that, I'll shoot for a down day today, keeping it flexible.

I've been skipping the MCT oil the last couple days. It's just hard for me to have calories that are tasteless, but possibly it made a difference yesterday. We'll see!

After yesterday's fest, the scale was actually not too bad at 206.8. I was expecting more, but sometimes it takes a day or two to show up, so we'll see!

Last edited by calichris; 07-01-2014 at 11:30 AM..