Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #121
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I know how you feel about sounding contradictory. I was worried about that too. And I still do have some of the mental back and forth about combining JUDDD and HDE/IE. It's the best of both worlds! It can't possibly work to do two things at once! It feels good to fast today! But you're restricting - how are you ever going to learn to listen to your body? Blah blah blah.

Mostly, I love combining the two. I do suspect that it's causing me to absorb the messages from HDE/IE a little bit more slowly than I might if I totally immersed myself in it. But you HAVE spent a month totally immersing, and I hope it will stand you in good stead. For me, I'm okay with it being a slow learning process, as long as I keep trying to focus and keep progressing a little at a time.

And I do feel like I'm slowly losing fat. I hope you can have the same! And I'm really excited to have another guinea-pig trying this with me!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!

Last edited by LoCarbGal; 05-29-2014 at 10:29 AM..
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Katt, you are definitely not sounding judgmental. Your thoughts are great to read and I think you are doing great. You are eating a bit less it sounds like and enjoying it more. That is always a win win situation.

I'm also doing a bit of JUDDD and IE. I do wait until I'm hungry before I eat for the day. It is usually noon or later. I never did that before I realized I wasn't always hungry on the JUDDD WOE. I do try to watch that there is a swing between calories on alternate days. If I lose more that will be great, but I am happy where I am for my age. If I felt I had a lot to lose, I might think differently, but I would still probably try the IE after having dieted for a long time. It seems like a healthy break. I really like the feeling that there are no "bad" foods. I think a lot of us feel better with less carbs and that is know we all connected in the first place on LCF.

I find it interesting the our JUDDD and now the IE group can have such interesting interactions here and no one seems to be making negative comments. We are all here for health and if we can help each other though our discussions, then keep discussing your thoughts! I know I learn from them.

Joy joy, Carolina Coast, Calichris, LCG, Dawn and Katt are so articulate.......thank you for all of your shares!
Old 05-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattbelly View Post
I hope none of us holds back on talking about our own experiences because we're afraid of what others will think, or if they won't agree, or if it doesn't work for them, because I really think it's only through open honest communication that we're gonna figure all this out. If IE combo-ed with JUDD works for you or anyone else, I will celebrate with you, I truly, truly will. And I want to have the freedom to explain why I think something like that won't work for me, but be delighted if it works for you, kwim?
Thanks for that! and I agree. I have paradigm shifts fairly frequently when it comes to this whole subject -- which I think is a good thing, if confusing at times -- and I learn from each of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDesert View Post
I'm wishing you the best with this, calichris. I realize that combining JUDDD and IE doesn't work for everyone, but it seems to work well for me--both in terms of its physical effects and in terms of feeling like a natural way to eat (or not eat, occasionally).
So glad to hear it's been going well for you. I didn't recall who was trying the ADF/IE combo, so thanks so much for letting me know you're doing this too. Glad to be in it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post
Chris, I know what you mean about sounding contradictory. Whenever I have thoughts about JUDDD it makes me a little uncomfortable to post about it, like I'm being disloyal. I'm very interested in how you do with this. I really hope these two work together, because that would truly be the best of both worlds.

Please keep posting through the process on how you're feeling on both UDs and DDs. I'm pulling for you!
Thanks for rooting for me, CC! I also feel strangely disloyal to IE principles by restricting. (Although honestly, IE is great, but for me it's not without all feeling of restriction, even if in the mildest way. I was thinking the other day that I didn't diet for years, and gained lots of weight, so I can't blame my weight gain entirely on dieting). I was pretty sure, though, that even if some people wouldn't make the same choice for themselves they'd still be rooting for me. (what Katt said). I appreciate so much that people around here are generally supportive of exploring ideas and trying things out.

I had a DD today, and it was a bit of a hungry one (to be expected) but it's gone well so far. Right now, I'm feeling good and my dinner seems to be sticking pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Chris, I think your plan sounds great and I hope it works for you! If nothing else, it'll be a good experiment. I think Carol's doing pretty well with combining the two.
Thanks, Dawn! I'm interested in it as an experiment too, if nothing else! But I hope it will be a sustainable way to make progress without having to be a slave to my calorie counter. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
I love this group.
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I know how you feel about sounding contradictory. I was worried about that too. And I still do have some of the mental back and forth about combining JUDDD and HDE/IE. It's the best of both worlds! It can't possibly work to do two things at once! It feels good to fast today! But you're restricting - how are you ever going to learn to listen to your body? Blah blah blah.

Mostly, I love combining the two. I do suspect that it's causing me to absorb the messages from HDE/IE a little bit more slowly than I might if I totally immersed myself in it. But you HAVE spent a month totally immersing, and I hope it will stand you in good stead. For me, I'm okay with it being a slow learning process, as long as I keep trying to focus and keep progressing a little at a time.

And I do feel like I'm slowly losing fat. I hope you can have the same! And I'm really excited to have another guinea-pig trying this with me!
It's encouraging that you've been mostly loving the combination. I've been thinking about it for awhile, but I didn't mention it because I wasn't sure or ready. Then, kind of suddenly, I was! It's so nice that you and others are experimenting with this, too ... we can compare notes, struggles, tips, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
I really like the feeling that there are no "bad" foods. I think a lot of us feel better with less carbs and that is know we all connected in the first place on LCF.

I find it interesting the our JUDDD and now the IE group can have such interesting interactions here and no one seems to be making negative comments. We are all here for health and if we can help each other though our discussions, then keep discussing your thoughts! I know I learn from them.

Joy joy, Carolina Coast, Calichris, LCG, Dawn and Katt are so articulate.......thank you for all of your shares!
I appreciate that so much too, Seabreezes! Great, thoughtful, insightful, and respectful discussions going on in this community. that.

About carbs ... that is the balance I'm trying to find too. I will not completely eliminate them ever, and I don't consider them bad, but at the same time, as a general principle I feel better and do better when I am a bit careful with them.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I feel very experienced with JUDDDD, and a little bit experienced with IE, but transitioning over to trying to combine the two is a whole new learning experience. I could be overthinking all this, but I'm trying to figure all this out and learn from it.

Down day one went fine. I haven't done one in over a month, so as I expected I was hungry, but not overly so. I will see where that goes. Often, when I'm in my JUDDD groove, I have experienced mostly energetic, not hungry, and no problem down days. Sometimes, the fasting days lead to a slight (or not so slight) feeling of desperation. If it's the former, great! If it's the latter, it may not work for me, or maybe I'll just make those higher DDs. I loved alternate day fasting especially when I was starting it and didn't count up days, so we'll see what happens doing it without counting regular/UP day calories, but in a more thoughtful way. Finished the day with 560 cals.

Yesterday, a regular or up day, was a little tricky. The irony of alternate day fasting is that on the morning after a regular eating day, I typically feel a bit hungry in the morning. After a fasting day, I'm often not hungry. So, I was feeling not particularly hungry in the morning, but I knew that I wouldn't be having lunch until around 1:30 (end-of-year work lunch), and this was one of those situations where thought the smart thing to do would be to time eating around my activities. If I waited until I got hungry and I was at work, I would probably be VERY hungry and possibly not be able to eat at that point (which would not be a good thing after a DD), and I also I would then not be hungry at lunch. Tricky.

I wound up deciding to have a breakfast burrito on the way to work (in the car, not ideal), and I felt fantastic all morning. I felt physically really good, mentally very focused, with excellent concentration and mood, and I was very productive at work.

At 1:30, we had the work luncheon. I wasn't actually hungry at this point either, even though it had been 5 hours since breakfast ... that breakfast burrito really stuck with me. I had some of everything (burger, caesar salad, pasta salad, and two cookies), and because I started not hungry, I didn't know when it was enough (Spinardi book!). I didn't end up full, but it wasn't particularly good and I wasn't particularly hungry, so it was not a satisfying meal, if you know what I mean? Looking back, I wish I had thought ... hmmm, this meal is not what I feel like having, and I'm not very hungry ... how about just having just a bit (pushing the food around the plate kind of thing) and eating again when I'm really hungry and can have what I want? I also was very tired that afternoon after the lunch. I noticed my very fit boss chose a burger without a bun, green salad, and pasta salad, and no cookies. It's just interesting to see what apparently naturallly thin but health-conscious people do. If I had to do it over, I would have taken a bunless burger (not excited about generic burger buns), the caesar salad, the pasta salad, and one cookie. I would have taken a bite of the pasta salad, decided it was not very good, and left the rest. Same with the store-bought cookie. I don't really know why I ate the whole meal, but I think it was something about the "celebratory meal provided for you by work" that made me feel like I should eat it or wanted to eat it. I don't think this was related to re-introducing low cal days but more about thinking of eating the meal as a way of celebrating the year, a kind of treat ... even though I didn't enjoy it very much. Does that make sense to anyone?

So then, since I didn't really enjoy the lunch and it was Friday night when I typically have something special, I was kind of annoyed when I wasn't hungry at dinner. I got a tiny bit hungry at about 8 pm, so at that point I had some "fruity curry chicken salad" that I had in the fridge and sounded pretty good, a weight watchers chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream thing (I think these are really tasty ... they aren't diet food to me, but I like the small size which is often just right). Then I was really craving something carby, so I had two bread sticks (which really hit the spot), and a glass of wine (because it was Friday night and it sounded good).

So, this day didn't go brilliantly, but I think I'll figure things out better as I go. One thing I have going for me is that as a teacher I'm about to start summer, which means I have a lot more flexibility with what and when I eat.

One down side of having fasting days is I lose the assurance that whenever I'm hungry, I can eat. Instead, I think that because yesterday or tomorrow was/will be a down day, I should eat. We'll see if that becomes a problem or not.

Oh! Scale report ... so I had hit a new high of 207, which was past my comfort zone of gaining. After the DD it was 205, and after yesterday 206.

Last edited by calichris; 05-31-2014 at 11:20 AM..
Old 05-31-2014, 11:55 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Chris, when I think about combining fasting days with HDE, I wonder about that issue of wanting to eat or thinking I need to eat because I'll be fasting again tomorrow. Was wondering if a way to ease into it may be something like a 5:2 for a few weeks, say fasting Monday and Thursday or Friday so you don't have to rush right back into a DD so soon.
CarolinaCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:04 PM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was thinking along the same lines, CC! (Great minds think alike )
I originally thought about starting with 6:1, 5:2 ... I wound up planning for 4:3 mostly because I can keep the DDs on the same days if I want, and it seemed flexible and less than EOD but enough to help with the weight loss goals. I'm thinking, though, that it might sometimes work out to be 5:2 some weeks. I'm feeling this thing out as I go! I will keep the 5:2 as an option if this becomes an issue.

Last edited by calichris; 05-31-2014 at 12:06 PM..
Old 05-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #127
Big Yapper!!!!

It's always so disappointing when a meal like that is just "meh". I think we always expect those things to be a treat, and so often they're just.....not. Bummer.

Combining did not really feel "comfortable" to me right away, and it still has it's moments. But it's getting better. I try to use IE on DDs as well, really thinking about when I'm truly hungry. I realize that my real hunger doesn't happen very strongly many times when I'm wanting to eat. Like when it's "time" to eat lunch or dinner. Weird. It's a hard adjustment to not eat when you just want to, simply because I'm not hungry. Many years of habit to overcome here.

And the bouncing scale is back! Which is a good thing. Especially once it starts bouncing its way downward.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
I've never done JUDD so I don't feel qualified to offer an opinion, but I just want to let you know I'm enjoying reading your experience and I wish you all the best!

One thing I noticed which I think is a fantastic thing, is that you were aware all day of what you were eating and why. You noticed how you felt about eating certain foods, and were able to make a game plan for the next time you're confronted with those issues. I think that's phenomenal. I hope you do too.
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Katt! Trying to be mindful, and learning lots by doing this and also from reading about other people's experiences too.

Yesterday's down day was pretty good ... less hungry than the first one, especially in the morning, although the afternoon was a little trickier. Getting back in the groove. The day ended up around maybe 700ish? calories, which is OK with me. (It's an estimate because I decided to have a carne asade street taco at a place that didn't list calorie counts.)

Today I wasn't hungry in the morning and didn't have to worry about work or anything, so my first meal was at 1:30. I had a chicken mango burrito -- which tasted so delicious! -- and a few tortilla chips and raspberries. I started feeling the "getting done" signals with a couple bites left of the burrito, but I finished it. :*) oops! I'm not overfull, though. Next time I'll try the cutting the burrito in half, then waiting 10 minutes between halves.

I'm about to go on a walk at a nature center/golf course. I've been doing it every weekend I can, because I really love it. . . so pretty, and a great stress release. I always see deer, turkeys, all kinds of other birds and butterflies, and sometimes rabbits or a lizards .... also I can see the river. It's gorgeous and takes me a bit over an hour to walk all the way around. Love it.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Wow that sounds really nice! Enjoy your walk
Old 06-02-2014, 05:19 AM   #131
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Christina- it sounds like you are learning a lot and combining the two well!!!
Hope this is just the thing for you.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:16 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joanna
Chris - You are doing so well!! I love the term happy eating by the way Too may of us have engaged in guilty eating, conflicted eating, binge eating. Bring on the happy!!

Josie's plan is the bomb and I think a person could do her plan alone and would lose weight slowly. But for some of us, if it gets too slow, we're likely to abandon HDE and start chasing the newest fad diet. NO NO NO! I think that using alternate day fasting with HDE is a great fit. There are wonderful health benefits that we derive from fasting. It does good things for your metabolism. It aids in weight loss. And we get to change our relationship with food by using Josie's principles on up and down days. We can eat 1.5 pieces of pizza and feel tired and sluggish but it's our choice to make. No one outside of yourself gets to dictate to you what you eat anymore. Love the freedom

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...nny-jeans.html
50 pounds gone baby
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Carol - Ooh I can relate. It's the worst when you think something is going to be sublime and it's just meh. I've turned into a food snob and if I have a bite or two of something and it doesn't taste really good, I move on.

It's a process and it's fantastic to see so many women embracing it and leaving the diet drama behind and start trusting themselves with food. I remember the days where I didn't thing I could be trusted with a full package of my favorite cookies. Crazy to think about that now.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #134
Big Yapper!!!!

Your walk sound so pretty and relaxing! Just the thing for unwinding after a long week. Are you on summer break now, or do you work through the summer too?
Old 06-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna View Post
Chris - You are doing so well!! I love the term happy eating by the way Too may of us have engaged in guilty eating, conflicted eating, binge eating. Bring on the happy!!

Josie's plan is the bomb and I think a person could do her plan alone and would lose weight slowly. But for some of us, if it gets too slow, we're likely to abandon HDE and start chasing the newest fad diet. NO NO NO! I think that using alternate day fasting with HDE is a great fit. There are wonderful health benefits that we derive from fasting. It does good things for your metabolism. It aids in weight loss. And we get to change our relationship with food by using Josie's principles on up and down days. We can eat 1.5 pieces of pizza and feel tired and sluggish but it's our choice to make. No one outside of yourself gets to dictate to you what you eat anymore. Love the freedom
Happy eating *is* great terminology. I love what you're saying here about how well the two plans can fit together and the benefits of both. I'm feeling hopeful even though I've got some learning to do.

Carol, it's almost summer for me! I'm off a week from Thursday, although I do have a very part-time (paid) project I'm working on this summer because we need it in time for school to start in August. I can do at least half of it at home, though.

So I had two IE/UDs in a row, per my plan. It was helpful yesterday knowing that I had another IE/UD coming (I don't know what to call them!). Today didn't go all that smoothly though. I knew there would be bagels at work today. I waited to have one until I was hungry, and it was delicious but didn't feel satisfying inside. I didn't feel right ... like I needed to get protein in me. I had a long meeting coming up, and no lunch (doh!) so I ran out to a starbucks, got a sandwich and some salted chocolate almonds, and pretty much gobbled it up. (pressed for time!) I didn't need all the almonds but they were delicious. I felt good after, though. Had a late dinner after working out, but I had a disagreement with my teenager, and so I didn't do a good job eating slowly and I ate everything. Wasn't overfull, but it's so much better for satisfaction and monitoring hunger to savor! More learning. I feel like every day is a new learning experience right now.

Plan for the future (note to self): always have a Quest bar .... it would have given me the protein I needed and would've been less rushed. Plan on some kind of protein with breakfast whenever possible. Practice eating slowly and savoring each bite. Try not to eat when upset ... take a few deep breaths or other relaxing thing first.

Last edited by calichris; 06-02-2014 at 09:43 PM..
Old 06-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #136
Big Yapper!!!!

Every day certainly is a new learning experience, isn't it? It's kind of exciting!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
You sound like you really got it going on girl. Good Luck.
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #138
Big Yapper!!!!

How goes it, my friend?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've let my journal get a little dusty, here!

Unfortunately, I've had a lot of stressful situations lately. For one thing, I have a teenager (need i say more?) among other things. I've decided that stress is NOT a friend to health or weight. Maybe it's the cortisol, or maybe just that it's harder at those times to listen to body cues, who knows. I hit a new high the other day, which means I've gained 5 pounds since I stopped counting calories. I'm worried, but I'm not going to start counting yet.

The good news is, I just finished my last regular day of work until August 4th, so this is the easiest time of year for me to eat well and exercise, so hopefully those 5 pounds will come off and take some friends with it.

The 3 down days a week plan for various reasons morphed into another kind of intermittent fasting I've never tried, which is an 8 hour eating window daily. When I have coffee with cream in the morning, this is easy for me. I've always wondered about this and never did it, so I'm going to ride it for a while -- paying better attention to IE concepts within the window -- and see where it goes. I'm doing the coffee with cream based on the bulletproof coffee idea, but I am not going to use a blender with my coffee in the morning (too messy), and cream tastes better to me (and besides, isn't butter just cream that has been whipped until it is solid?). I don't have any MCT oil, but I'm planning on getting that today just to see. Will keep you posted on how it goes!

Last edited by calichris; 06-12-2014 at 09:09 AM..
Old 06-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Glad to see you back Chris! Your new plan sounds good......
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #141
Big Yapper!!!!

I was wondering about you and thinking this might be a crazy-busy time of year for you. I'm glad your school year is over and you can focus on you more for awhile. How would you say your first year in this new position went for you?

I think the eating window is a great idea, and it if makes it easier to IF, then that's a plus. I'll be interested to see how this works for you. I really do think coffee/hwc is a great "breakfast" and give you a little boost of energy from the caffeine and the fat that keeps you going for hours. I choose to believe that fat only doesn't "break the fast" like we've heard.

I'm sorry to hear about the 5 extra pounds, but I'm sure you're right about added stress being a big factor. It's so hard to let go of, and it's particularly hard to not fall back on past habit of using food to soothe and distract.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm posting this article on intermittent fasting here so I can find it again easily. This is essentially my plan right now.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Lori and Carol!

Carol, overall, this has been a positive year at my new job, but with some really challenging periods in there, especially in the beginning and a little in the winter. My weight loss pretty much stopped when I started this new job, and I know it was because of the stress. Some of it was bad stress (I really liked my previous school and didn't want to leave it, but the Central Admin making what I thought were very poor decisions in August made me feel I had to jump ship ASAP, so I had very sudden and not really wanted change). Some of it was good stress (job interviews, learning a new and challenging position, feeling pressure to show I could do a good job, getting used to new systems and people).

Now I'm starting to feel actually competent in my new job so that part of the stress should be lessened going into next year, although I still have some "good stress" challenges.

It's just really interesting to me, the effects of stress. I'm typically a low stress person, so I'm just noticing what happens when I'm in a stressful situation. I'm planning to start yoga also to see if it helps.

The thing with my teenager is hard for me right now. He's been an easy kid, and we've always gotten along so well and he's been such a joy. Now, all of a sudden, he doesn't want to talk to me or spend time with me, can be surly and rude, and he's not doing things it's really important that he get done, so I feel like I'm nagging him all the time and then getting angry. And then he's randomly sweet again. I know this is normal, and I wish knowing that helped, but it really doesn't seem to. A friend at work with older kids is sure that it will get better sometime in the next year, so keeping my fingers crossed for that.

Last edited by calichris; 06-12-2014 at 10:43 AM..
Old 06-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #144
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Chris I have been reading about your journey....stress and eating seem to just go hand in hand for me.

I wanted to tell you, I too have a teenager that (like yours) he and I were close always. He is now 15 and we have had pure he!! since about March through May! Now that school is out, things have settled down just a bit. Is that him or me? Not sure. Know that you are not alone. There were times that I would look at him/listen to what he was saying and literally think WHO IS THIS???? OFTEN! It's the age they become their own person. Tough for us Mom's, I think especially with BOYS! I hope that summer break brings you a "break" from the issues as well!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...rt-2-a-20.html
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Hi calichris welcome to summer! I always enjoy reading your posts and I know I'm not the only one eager to see how your plan works for you.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Chris I have been reading about your journey....stress and eating seem to just go hand in hand for me.

I wanted to tell you, I too have a teenager that (like yours) he and I were close always. He is now 15 and we have had pure he!! since about March through May! Now that school is out, things have settled down just a bit. Is that him or me? Not sure. Know that you are not alone. There were times that I would look at him/listen to what he was saying and literally think WHO IS THIS???? OFTEN! It's the age they become their own person. Tough for us Mom's, I think especially with BOYS! I hope that summer break brings you a "break" from the issues as well!
Thanks, Monica! It always helps to know that other teenagers go through this phase. It's definitely not all bad, it's just a lot harder than it's ever been, so it's an adjustment, and I can't help but miss the easier days, but hopefully I'll figure out how to make the adjustment and hang in there until this phase has passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattbelly View Post
Hi calichris welcome to summer! I always enjoy reading your posts and I know I'm not the only one eager to see how your plan works for you.
Thanks Katt!

Well, I'm kind of excited about the 8 hour window, because it's been so easy for me. And after my new high after a cake incident (which was in the window but was too much in too short a time frame ... I don't think the window works for me if I eat cake for lunch ), my weight has gone like this the last 4 days: 208.6, 208.2, 207.2, 207. So that's good. Hoping it will continue in that general direction. I also feel pretty good and energetic after my coffee with cream and now MCT oil. Pretty much no hunger until around 12. Also, my eating window has actually gone down to 7 hours naturally, although 8 is still an option. I start eating when I get hungry, which is usually 12 or later, and stop by 8pm. (If there is ever a party or something after 8pm, and I'd feel unhappy about the window, I will just ignore the window on those days ... that doesn't happen often so I don't think it will be a problem).

The only downside to the window is that if I haven't eaten dinner by 7, I feel like I need to eat it then even if I'm not HUNGRY hungry, because my eating window is about to be over. So that is not very IE, but the up side is that I don't have as much because I'm not as hungry.

Up sides I've noticed so far are the morning focus and energy, that it takes away all snacking outside my window, without effort, which is a good thing for me. I usually have lunch, a snack, and dinner in the window. I might try to eliminate the snack so I'm hungrier for dinner. One advantage of this plan over JUDDD is that I sometimes felt deprived having a different dinner than my family on DDs, and now we can always have the same meal or have restaurant food on any day. Feeling good about this plan so far..

Last edited by calichris; 06-14-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Old 06-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I want to record how things are going today. I did a 70 minute walk after my bullet proof coffee but before my first meal of the day. I also did three 30-second sprints in there, and I had lots of energy....felt great Had lunch a little after 2, and still feel great. Maybe it's because it's summer, or maybe I'm in fat-burning mode in the mornings ?(I hope!)
Old 06-15-2014, 02:14 AM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

That's great! Sounds like it suits your lifestyle too.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

You sound fantastic!! My condolences on having a teenager. It's really tough some days(most days!)
Old 06-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Arg.

For a long time, I thought I was maintaining with this HDE/IE experiment and variations (the scale went up, it went down, but the bounces masked a gradual upward trend), and then I knew I was gaining, but I thought is was just a little. I was OK with maintaining or even gaining a few, temporary pounds as an adjustment period.

I have this app, though, that does a little graph and tells you what your trend is, and it tells me that in the last 6 weeks or so I've been gaining a pound a week, and the trend line is a steep 45 degree angle UP. I knew I had gained, but with the scale bouncing around like it does, I didn't really see how much at first. Yesterday (after that day I described above when I felt great) the scale shot up again to a new high of 209. Maybe it's TOM, maybe sodium in restaurant food I had for lunch and dinner, I don't know. Yesterday I had more restaurant food and today the scale read an even higher high 209.8! What the heck.

I don't want to lose ground, but here's what I also don't want to to: give in to panic and start some drastic plan (I'm laughing remembering Spinardi describing this panic diet, with "none of that pesky moderation").

I also don't want to count calories, but it seems I've been having too many, so that is a dilemma.

So for the meantime, I am going to do nothing, except to use this first week of my summer break to really tune in to hunger directed eating and see what happens when I'm on a more relaxed schedule. Maybe cut back on the restaurant food for awhile. I like the window, so I'd like to go with it and see what happens with a little more time. Maybe this is just an anomaly and will go back down soon.

Thanks for listening as I talk myself off the panic ledge.