Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
I just want to throw this in as food for thought ... a nutritionist from my medical plan has been following up with me after my RMR (resting metabolic rate) test, which showed that my metabolism was 9% slower than average. (boo! even though I am weight lifting!)

Here's a message I got today:
Quote:
I'm glad to hear that you are no longer cycling your calories. The body and metabolism are looking for consistency, especially with weight loss. Since your body has been all over the place with calories, it may take some time for it to recognize your consistency and begin to switch into weight loss mode. I like people to try something for 4-6 weeks before they decide it isn't working. If after that amount of time you are not seeing weight loss then it would be time to consider counting calories and see where you would need to make modifications.
I thought that was encouraging that the losses might start to come after my body adjusts.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Thanks for sharing. Hopefully this new way of eating will be what your are needing. I's so glad there are all of the posts about this right now. I think it came at a great time, especially for me.

Thanks for all of your insightful posts, Chris.
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LifeIsGood2013
WOE: Intuitive Eating
Start Date: 4/2014
I would love to follow along in your journey. I'm also subscribed to CC's journal and am learning soooo much from both of you ladies and all of the other ladies contributing. Thank you for sharing
LifeIsGood2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Love this!

Old 05-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
There should be a Like button and a Share button! Wonderful post!
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Thank you so much for posting that Chris! It is wonderful! It really made me feel good early this morning.
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:51 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
That's perfect!
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:12 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:04 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
I just want to throw this in as food for thought ... a nutritionist from my medical plan has been following up with me after my RMR (resting metabolic rate) test, which showed that my metabolism was 9% slower than average. (boo! even though I am weight lifting!)

Here's a message I got today:

"I'm glad to hear that you are no longer cycling your calories. The body and metabolism are looking for consistency, especially with weight loss. Since your body has been all over the place with calories, it may take some time for it to recognize your consistency and begin to switch into weight loss mode. I like people to try something for 4-6 weeks before they decide it isn't working. If after that amount of time you are not seeing weight loss then it would be time to consider counting calories and see where you would need to make modifications."

I thought that was encouraging that the losses might start to come after my body adjusts.
This is very interesting. Some time ago I read "Diet Recovery 2" by Matt Stone, and he suggested one evidence of slow metabolism is low body temperature. Mine is consistently about 97.6 so it's very likely I'm in this same boat. My appetite is very small and I'm usually not hungry between meals so this is probably another sign. What the nutritionist said is encouraging. Maybe with time mine will heal. But, in the meantime, I think it's pretty incredible that I'm able to eat the things I'm having and not gain any weight despite my slow metabolism.

Last edited by CarolinaCoast; 05-08-2014 at 04:15 AM..
Old 05-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #40
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
The information about the temperature is interesting. Low temp is a sign of a thyroid problem (I imagine they are one in the same). Mine was always low growing up. My mom says she would take me to the doctor when I was sick and they would miss my fevers because my normal temp was low and tell her, "Oh, she's fine."
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #41
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
that quote Christina.

CC, my body temperature is consistently low, but I have 2 separate conditions that cause that (thyroid disease and Raynaud's disease). The thyroid disease is linked to lowered metabolism too. Unfortunately, I do get hungry often.

ETA: Gina posted while I was composing my thoughts, but we were thinking along the same lines.

Last edited by KeirasMom; 05-08-2014 at 07:31 AM..
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #42
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Very interesting comment from your nutritionist. I find I'm often skeptical of those who dismiss ADF so quickly because so many just flat out don't understand it and it's own health benefits, and haven't done any research on it. But maybe that's because I'm still committed to it. I don't want to give up the health benefits I've gained from it.
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

I hope that didn't sound like I was dis-ing your nutritionist! That isn't what I meant at all and after I posted it I was afraid that's how it sounded.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 143.7/138.7/130
WOE: HDE/FF
I’ve been doing this for barely 2 wks or so, inspired by all of your great comments, experiences and insights. I have learned a lot, some days done really well and some days let’s just call it a “learning experience” and at least one day intentionally over ate on stuff I didn’t care about for no reason because I was doubting. I’ve had burgers, fries, pot pies, pastries, steaks and pretty much whatever I felt like at the moment. I considered not weighing in on my Friday weigh in day today as my “day of doubting” was only Wednesday and I felt miserable yesterday. But I bit the bullet, prepared to start considering weather I was going to give this more time or move on. I was exactly where I was two weeks ago before I started this. So Woo Hoo I’m in. The peace of mind, elimination of stress and ability to live in the world of “normal” is absolutely incredible. And maintaining while learning gives me real hope that as my body begins to trust me, I will be able to lose some.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Very interesting comment from your nutritionist. I find I'm often skeptical of those who dismiss ADF so quickly because so many just flat out don't understand it and it's own health benefits, and haven't done any research on it. But maybe that's because I'm still committed to it. I don't want to give up the health benefits I've gained from it.
No offense taken, Carol! I didn't seek out this nutritionist, and wouldn't have normally talked to one, because the ones I've seen or known have tended to give the same sensible, standard advice that really doesn't work for hardly anybody. This was an automatic follow-up from my RMR test.

I gave her all my background, so I don't know if she was saying in general the body needs consistency (if so, I'd point out how far I was able to go with JUDDD) or if she was relating it to my personal stall/metabolism. What caught my attention was the idea that it might take a little while to adjust from UD/DD calorie cycling, and after that my body might start giving up the pounds again ... I hope so!
Old 05-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm watching with interest!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So this IE thing takes a lot of focus when you're getting started! It takes some effort to really pay attention to hunger cues before and during eating, and I've gotten a little less focused on it the last couple days. I think I need to really get the new habits ingrained before I start relaxing on it. It also takes some examining of my thoughts to refocus while at the same time being kind to myself as a learner, and to observe and learn and try not to panic when I take a few mis-steps.

I read something on Happy Eaters today that I loved and thought was a great re-frame:

Quote:
Self-acceptance means treating yourself well now, respecting yourself now, engaging in healthy behaviors that make you feel great now. That IS how you lose weight, or build muscle, or improve performance, or gain confidence, or anything you want to achieve. It's not by being a mean, negative, whip-cracking, ass hat bully. The problem with telling yourself that your body unacceptable now is that it makes you feel rejected and judged, which makes you want to hide and eat. It does not inspire confidence or healthy behavior. We get desperate, we feel guilty, we go on restrictive unsustainable diets, and then we overeat to escape the misery that creates. How is that supposed to make you lean and happy?

The more you accept yourself, the better you treat yourself. The better you treat yourself, the better your results.

Self-acceptance does not mean you give up on your dreams or remain "stuck" somehow, learning to live with a situation you don't like. It's what changes everything.

Last edited by calichris; 05-09-2014 at 08:00 PM..
Old 05-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Lori, CC, Gina, and Carly!

Love this:

Last edited by calichris; 05-09-2014 at 08:23 PM..
Old 05-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
Hi calichris, we're sorta neighbors, I live in the North bay area. Did you know the author of Skinny Jeans lives in the East Bay? I thought that was kinda cool. I'm enjoying your posts and I too am just starting this journey. I really like the quote about self-acceptance. I imagine most of us struggle with weight issues because we live in a society that massacres our self-acceptance. Fighting that feels like an uphill battle. Finding IE and finally "getting it" is already some peace of mind I've not had in a very long time.

"The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment."

"Our perception gathers proof that our beliefs are right."
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:49 AM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm feeling the same things Christina. You're right, it does take a lot of focus. I find I'm going back to my old behaviors around eating when I go on auto-pilot. So I guess the goal now is to shift the proportion of auto-pilot to focused eating a little more each bite, each meal, each day.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So I'm up by 2.4 pounds today over where I started, and that worried me a little bit, but I'm going to ride it through for now. I'm learning, practicing, sometimes falling, more so the last few days, and I also think it's in the range of fluctuations, so I'm going to resist the slightly panicky feeling and urge to go on a super strict diet. I know a lot of people say to put the scale away, but if I start going up and up and UP as a trend over a week or two, I want to know that so I don't lose the progress I've made. And of course I want to go the other way.

I finished Intuitive Eating. There is some good information in there, but it left me with some questions and some doubts, too. Yesterday I started Ditching Diets, and I really think this one is going to be very helpful for me. For one thing, it is already in the first couple chapters addressing a problem I had with IE, which is that I can't just always eat when I feel hungry. I can't say to my students, "Go amuse yourselves while I sit down to this beautiful meal which I am going to fully enjoy." I have actually gotten into kind of a difficult place by trying to wait until I'm hungry, and then not be able to eat for hours after that, so then I'm thinking about food MORE, not feeling good, and starving by the next meal. No bueno. Here was a helpful quote for me:

Quote:
Not only is natural hunger unreliable, but waiting until you feel hungry can be inconvenient, when you need to fit in meal times with other people. It might not be practical to eat later on when you'll be running errands, teaching a class, or attending a meeting. . . . This is why it is best to simply consider when it would be appropriate to eat again. There will also be some guesswork here, but make your best guess about what would be reasonable, rather than addictive.
I'm also getting a lot out of the idea of the addictive desire to eat, which is not meant as a negative term, but just those times when we want to eat when we don't need to. Working on IE has shown me that I have a lot of those, and I like her approach to them. It's interesting because when dieting you don't pay attention to any of this. You just eat your prescribed calories or points and all the thinking goes out of it. So many good new ideas!!

I've started a new habit of walking with my dog every morning as the first thing I do, for maybe 15-20 minutes. It's really a great start to my day, and that 15 minutes adds up to an extra 1 hour and 45 minutes of walking a week. I'm feeling more alert and energized in the mornings, and it's a good thing because other than my other exercising which is usually at night, I do a lot of sitting. Sitting is the new smoking, they say!

Have a lovely mother's day, everyone.

neighbor Katt! I grew up in the Bay Area.

Last edited by calichris; 05-11-2014 at 09:52 AM..
Old 05-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #52
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
That quote is a good one and one that I've been thinking about as well. There's just no way that many of us can eat when we're naturally inclined and I'm sure that's why set meal times have evolved. The work day, parenting, after-school activities, etc., all conspire to derail intuitive eating if done solely on hunger. I like that someone has addressed this. Thanks for sharing!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
So I'm up by 2.4 pounds today over where I started, and that worried me a little bit, but I'm going to ride it through for now. I'm learning, practicing, sometimes falling, more so the last few days, and I also think it's in the range of fluctuations, so I'm going to resist the slightly panicky feeling and urge to go on a super strict diet. I know a lot of people say to put the scale away, but if I start going up and up and UP as a trend over a week or two, I want to know that so I don't lose the progress I've made. And of course I want to go the other way.

I finished Intuitive Eating. There is some good information in there, but it left me with some questions and some doubts, too. Yesterday I started Ditching Diets, and I really think this one is going to be very helpful for me. For one thing, it is already in the first couple chapters addressing a problem I had with IE, which is that I can't just always eat when I feel hungry. I can't say to my students, "Go amuse yourselves while I sit down to this beautiful meal which I am going to fully enjoy." I have actually gotten into kind of a difficult place by trying to wait until I'm hungry, and then not be able to eat for hours after that, so then I'm thinking about food MORE, not feeling good, and starving by the next meal. No bueno. Here was a helpful quote for me:

I'm also getting a lot out of the idea of the addictive desire to eat, which is not meant as a negative term, but just those times when we want to eat when we don't need to. Working on IE has shown me that I have a lot of those, and I like her approach to them. It's interesting because when dieting you don't pay attention to any of this. You just eat your prescribed calories or points and all the thinking goes out of it. So many good new ideas!!

I've started a new habit of walking with my dog every morning as the first thing I do, for maybe 15-20 minutes. It's really a great start to my day, and that 15 minutes adds up to an extra 1 hour and 45 minutes of walking a week. I'm feeling more alert and energized in the mornings, and it's a good thing because other than my other exercising which is usually at night, I do a lot of sitting. Sitting is the new smoking, they say!

Have a lovely mother's day, everyone.

neighbor Katt! I grew up in the Bay Area.
That's a great quote! I struggled with this too since my lifestyle revolves around a basic three meal a day schedule, refusing to eat with friends and family just made me more obsessed and outside of normal. I've tried to just make sure I space meals out so I'll be hungry at those times and stopping when I'm just satisfied has helped that to happen. I've had to answer a little for not eating much at times, but who can argue with "I'm satisfied"?

Another neighbor here, Woodland now, origninally Fair Oaks

Last edited by TerriMM; 05-11-2014 at 12:41 PM..
TerriMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: where's_kyla?
Stats: 208/not sure, think im down about 20/175 - 5'10"
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Jan. 11, 2014
Hi there - "happy eating" is the way of thinking in the book "Women, Food, and God"... I read the book and tried it very briefly but there are steps to do before you are ready to eat like this... for me, I am not healthy enough psychologically to eat this way successfully. Eating is too much of an addiction for me. Wonderful for people who can do it though!!
where's_kyla? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
...my lifestyle revolves around a basic three meal a day schedule, refusing to eat with friends and family just made me more obsessed and outside of normal. I've tried to just make sure I space meals out so I'll be hungry at those times and stopping when I'm just satisfied has helped that to happen. I've had to answer a little for not eating much at times, but who can argue with "I'm satisfied"?
This is how it's worked out for me, too. On Saturday we always have lunch at our favorite bagel spot. Yesterday I wasn't hungry for breakfast, but got hungry around 10:30. I wanted to make sure I was hungry at lunch time so I had a bite of a protein bar. (I cut them in pieces and keep them in a snack bag in my purse for emergencies when it's not mealtime and I get hungry.) I'm learning to manipulate my hunger so that it's convenient for me, but not eating unless I am hungry.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Chris,
I loved that bit from Ditching Diets. It takes away the pressure to wait for hunger every single time during social events.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
Yeah I agree with all the above. Naturally thin people don't get weird about food. If they're in a restaurant or during a regular family meal time, they don't just sit there and refuse to eat because their belly's not rumbling. They eat. If they're not that hungry, they just don't eat that much, box up the leftovers, and eat some of them later if they're hungry, or have a snack then. I'm done with being weird around food. No more watching other people eat the cake at a party, no more gazing longingly at everyone else eating the hot fresh bread like some pervert peeking in a window. No more food weirdness! I'm really focusing on when I eat, when I assemble a plate of food, how would a naturally thin person be eating this? It's really helped me in putting reasonable portions on my plate (not the lumberjack portions I used to do) and reminding myself that if a naturally thin person wants more, they get seconds-but they give themselves the chance to be satisfied by a more modest portion first. This approach really helps me.
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Absolutely!
TerriMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: where's_kyla?
Stats: 208/not sure, think im down about 20/175 - 5'10"
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Jan. 11, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattbelly View Post
Yeah I agree with all the above. Naturally thin people don't get weird about food. If they're in a restaurant or during a regular family meal time, they don't just sit there and refuse to eat because their belly's not rumbling. They eat. If they're not that hungry, they just don't eat that much, box up the leftovers, and eat some of them later if they're hungry, or have a snack then. I'm done with being weird around food. No more watching other people eat the cake at a party, no more gazing longingly at everyone else eating the hot fresh bread like some pervert peeking in a window. No more food weirdness! I'm really focusing on when I eat, when I assemble a plate of food, how would a naturally thin person be eating this? It's really helped me in putting reasonable portions on my plate (not the lumberjack portions I used to do) and reminding myself that if a naturally thin person wants more, they get seconds-but they give themselves the chance to be satisfied by a more modest portion first. This approach really helps me.
I like that.
where's_kyla? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

Christina, your walking with your dog is great! There's something about the early morning that is so restorative - it's a fresh new day, full of possibilities. And having a doggie trotting along next to you, sniffing all the good smells of the world. Nothing like it!

I'm getting curious about Ditching Diets and Intuitive Eating. I have a hold on Intuitive Eating at my library and will pick it up Thursday when I'm over there. Unfortunately none of my libraries have Ditching Diets, so I may need to get it on my Kindle. I just hate to keep spending money on more books.

The timing of eating that you describe is a very real challenge. And the last thing you need is for that to stress you out and make you think MORE about eating. I'm really trying to make what I've learned from JUDDD work for me in IE as well. Feeling hungry is okay. It does usually pass anyway and then will come back again later, hopefully when it's more convenient to eat and enjoy.

This is such a learning experience!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!