Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Stats: 208/192/160?
WOE: LCHF
Ry's Daily Drivel

I have a regular blog (Rian's Pages) but I prefer to write my weight loss journal here.

My name is Rian (pronounced Ryan). I was the baby of the family so was nicknamed RyeBaby, and the name stuck. I am 64 and my DH still calls me that sometimes, but usually just Ry.

I have been on every diet known to mankind. To list them would take too much space. I must have ADD because I get bored easily and drift off plan. Maybe being publicly accountable and logging my food every day will help me keep my shoulder to the grindstone this time. I sure hope so. I don't want to be this size any more, or dress like a schlub, and I want to live a long, healthy life. Hey, I think I said these very words last year! Yes, I do believe I did. And the year before, too.

I don't know what I weigh because I don't have a scale...we are "camping out'" in a [tiny, hot] apartment while our house is being built (7 more weeks!) and our stuff is in storage...the last time I stepped on the scale it was hovering around 205. But I'm not so concerned with the number.

I don't have a problem eating LC food, I'm a big carnivore. I'm convinced grains of all stripe are bad mojo, so I eliminated all grains from our diet. I didn't plan to go on a full-scale diet, no more than any other Monday anyway, but then I decided to take it to the mat and go full-on low carb.

Because I read something that set me straight: "Dieting is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard." It kick-started me.

Today we are going out to dinner, but we go out to get fish because I can't cook it here (no ventilation). I'm not worried. Potatoes and bread don't interest me. I am a steak and salad girl.

I'm giving up Diet Coke, not forever, but not having it every day. I hereby pledge to limit my wine to one glass and not every day. Giving up wine is going to be my hardest thing, but wine is what got me into this shape to begin with! I realize I can't drink wine and lose weight.

Let's talk about Today. Today I walked 2 miles. Felt grrrreat!

Breakfast was 1 egg, 2 bacon. Not hungry.

Lunch was Italian salad, which is Romaine lettuce, ham, salami, provolone, marinated artichoke hearts, Kalamata olives, Italian dressing. I love this salad and could eat it every day. And the best part is, DH makes it. He's not much of a cook otherwise. He makes a good tuna-avocado salad, too.

Off I go! I'll be back tomorrow to own up.
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Well, I'm back already. It's basketball playoff season and that means...sports widow.

We went to 3rd Corner Bistro for dinner, we discussed having wine so we did (we're bad influences on each other, but I walked 2 miles today), but just one glass. Ordinarily we'd share a bottle. One of the diets I was on--and lost a lot of weight on--a long time ago said you could have a small potato OR a single glass of dry wine IF you exercised that day. It's a great incentive to get the walk in, lemme tell ya!!

I was all set to have the salmon, but it was smothered in sun-dried tomatoes and I was worried about the sugar in the sun-drieds. I had the NY steak instead. I asked for no frites and got double asparagus. I got enough asparagus to negotiate a couple tastes of the salmon (very good, but I was glad I got the steak). The steak was WONderful! It had a slab of herb butter on it, and the asparagus was roasted perfectly. I ate every bite.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Friday got off to a good start with sausage and eggs, but I put some cheddar cheese on it --not thinking, I had the grated pieces left. And then I learned dairy/cheese is not on the Paleo plan. What about that! I seem to remember eating cottage and cream cheese on Atkins. Well, I'm okay with it, but I just bought a block of cream cheese and I'm not throwing it out.

Lunch was chili dogs, I had some beef in tomato paste left over so I added chili powder and it was pretty darned good. We use Hebrew National dogs with no additives, and the ground beef was organic grass-fed. The last of it will go into omelets this morning.

We had planned to have lemon chicken with Greek salad (and full-fat Greek yogurt zadziki, more dairy, which I'm now afraid of), but our friends called and invited us to dinner last-minute, and we went. She made rib-eyes, delicious and my favorite, but they were marinated in Lawry's Jerk seasoning. I have no idea what's in that but my hunch is there it ain't on plan. That, plus salad and roasted asparagus. So not too bad, considering. I didn't eat the chips and dip and I turned down dessert (caramel ice cream), but we took over a bottle of wine and drank most of it.

In addition to that, I had half an apple with peanut butter (I know, I know) in the afternoon because I was having low blood sugar--feeling shaky and headachy--and needed something. I'm hoping these afternoon lows go away (I think they will).

Sleeping great, feeling lots of energy and focus. No problem with leaving grains behind! None! Some dairy and cheese things have me confused...but I'll work them out.

Today is Saturday, we have chili omelets, chicken salad, and the Greek chicken and salad from last night.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

It was very hot in the apartment yesterday and I am so bored. Nothing to do while Jim watches basketball. I had several glasses of chardonnay with ice. It tasted so good but today I am lamenting doing it. The sugar in the wine gave me energy and put me in a happy state. I need to not do that. It's not the alcohol as much as it is the sugar.

The Greek chicken wasn't all that Greek--I didn't have any oregano, and the Greek seasoning has sugar in it, so I couldn't use that, either. Bummer. But Jim loved the whole thing. The salad was good, I'll admit. But you can't get the same results in a frying pan as over the fire. I can't wait until we get moved into our new house and I can cook on the grill!!! The salad dressing is just red wine vinegar, a few drops of sweetener, dijon mustard, salt and pepper, and olive oil. Simple and delicious.

So...what's on tap today? Firstly, a long walk. The marine layer is back so no rush to get out there, and Jim can sleep some more. Breakfast will be sausage and eggs, lunch is the remainder of the chicken salad, and dinner will be filet steaks, asparagus, and wedge salad.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday was Cinco de Mayo. We slept late and didn't get going for a long time. Breakfast (11:30) was 2 sausages, 1 egg. We needed to go to the store so we worked on the menus. Lunch was a little of the leftover chicken salad. The landlord came to get the rent check and we chatted with him, and then we had to leave. We went over to our friends' house to book a cruise together with our travel agent, and it took a lot longer than expected.

We owed these guys dinner so we suggested Mexican since it was 5/5. And it wouldn't be outrageously expensive. It took a long time to get seated. I didn't eat the chips, in spite of the fact Deborah said they were the best anywhere. I shrugged it off--I simply don't eat grains, that's my motto. It makes it so much easier, IMHO to think that you ONLY don't eat grains. Whatever works. There are so many more food choices out there besides GRAINS, and we all know how bad they are for you. At any rate, it didn't bother. Jim didn't eat any either, I thought he might have one chip just to have a taste. Nope. We both ordered big taco salads, those ones that come in the giant flour tortilla basket. It was pretty good, it had (whole) beans in it in addition to the steak (so-so), but I think the occasional legume isn't going to be a diet-buster. I did not eat the tortilla. I had one glass of white wine (it was a social occasion) and a big glass of water with lemon. We never did get to the supermarket because 24 was coming on and Jim wanted to watch that. So we have no food in the place and we have a busy schedule today. This will be interesting.

Feeling good, I do feel better when I don't have too much wine (aka sugar). It takes a long time to fall asleep, but when I do I sleep great, except for getting up 4 (!) times to pee. This is getting old...

I want to eliminate the wine entirely (except for social occasions), and I've cut WAY back, but I'm not ready to let go of it entirely. I know that doing so will help my weight loss considerably. I'm getting there.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

How did we do today?? Great!

B: 2 (thick) bacon, 1 egg.
L: Tuna-stuffed 1/2 avocado salad.
S: A handful of cashews.
D: Hamburger patty with cheese, sauteed onions, coleslaw, yellow mustard, and 1 glass of wine.
E: Walked 2 miles.

Feeling great! I didn't have much energy yesterday. I had been "releasing" gallons of water and peeing buckets every ten minutes it seemed. I got up 4-5 times in the night for several nights in a row. But last night I slept all the way through, no pee-breaks, for 9 hours. Even before I started this I would get up at least once to pee. I haven't slept through the night for years!

Man, that was a lot of water. I can see my ankles!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

How did we do today? Great!

B: 2 bacon, 1.5 scrambled egg
L: Hebrew National jumbo dog with a little bit of chili (homemade, no beans)
S: Cashews
D: Pork tenderloin with apricot (sugar free preserves) and cauliflower 'n cheese
E: Walked 2 miles
1 glass of wine
Old 05-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Still doing great! In fact, even better! Slowly we are letting go of more and more non-paleo things. Each time we go to the market (every 4 days) we plan meals, read labels, and get smarter. We are still eating dairy--in the form of cheese--but that's going to get limited or eliminated eventually. For now, it gives our meals a lot of variety and I don't worry about it, because we are taking baby steps. If we jumped in whole-hog we'd feel deprived and quit. I know that from experience. It's so much simpler and easier (for us) to operate under the mantle of "we don't eat grains." It's as simple as that. It has been so easy to give up grains! There are so many other things to eat!

Now, about wine. I had 1/2 glass of pinot noir in a glass of Pellegrino water (love that stuff) at dinner. I had no alcohol before or after dinner. I was afraid the one glass would "light up my brain" and get me started, but it didn't. Jim watched basketball (it's that time of year) and I sat next to him and watched a movie on my laptop. More on that later.

What was the day's menu you ask? Brekkie was scrambled eggs with green onions and cream cheese. We ran errands all day so lunch was more like a late afternoon snack, pizza, no bread or sauce, just pepperoni and mozzarella melted in the micro, along with celery sticks with cream cheese. Dinner was pan roasted rosemary chicken (I got the menu around here somewhere) and Brussels sprouts roasted with olive oil and bacon. We had gotten some 70% chocolate so Jim had one square of that and I had some nuts.

We were not hungry all day and we went to bed not-hungry. Do I feel better this morning for not having [my usual quantity of] wine? Not sure. Nothing earth-shattering, anyway. Do I miss desserts? Not really. Do I miss bread? Nope, not one bit. I miss the convenience of bread and I miss having it to sop up the egg yolk, but I don't miss the bread itself, and I cook the eggs a little longer to set the yolk a little more. Fortunately we both LOVE eggs. Eventually, after we move, I'll start looking into wheat alternatives like almond flour and flaxseed flour, but for now we're concentrating on losing weight and feeling great. We both feel substitutions aren't necessary at this point.

So the movie I watched, Forks Not Knives, the authors were presenting a plant-based diet. They had patients who were at the threshold of having a heart attack, or had had one already, and they put them on a 100% plant-based diet. The results were phenomenal. They lost weight (rapidly) and their numbers were in the below-normal range. The two presenters were in their mid-70s and riding bikes, hiking, and one woman was in her 70s and doing triathlons. It got me to thinking.

But then, it has been info like this that has derailed me in the past from LC eating, saying "plants must better for you than animals!" But the truth is, I like eating animals. I am a carnivore. At the end of the film they all got together, all thin and glowing, for a meal. Beans and brown rice stuffed in acorn squash, and lots of things I didn't recognize. I like beans and rice, and I like acorn squash. But I'd be STARVING two hours later if I ate that. I don't recall seeing bread anywhere.

Today is Mother's Day. We are going up the coast to see our new house, which is under construction, and have dinner with the kids. They eat healthy too, so no worries there. It's a beautiful day.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: meagan7
Stats: 157/155/130
Aww, congrats on the house! That's exciting.

Yeah, your love of wine seems like my love of beer. I haven't had a beer in about a month... and I miss it... You're right though. We can't drink AND lose weight.

Good luck!
meagan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much Meagan, for stopping by and leaving a comment.

We had an eventful day yesterday (Mother's Day). We hadn't been up to see the house in a while so there was a lot of progress. They have put on the roof, and painted it...yellow (not my favorite). It is getting so hard to wait. Six more weeks! If anybody reads this and wants to see, click on over to my blog at http://rianammerman.blogspot.com.

It was a long drive so we stopped for lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings. We had never been there before but it was getting late and we needed to eat, and there was no alternative. I checked the menu on my iPhone and it seemed harmless. I had a side salad (blue cheese) and a hamburger patty, and J had a Mediterranean salad. Nothing to write home about, but it fit the bill, and we didn't get into any trouble.

Then we went to the "Kids" house, and just as we were turning onto their street, a guy rammed into the back of us (on purpose) and scared us witless. Our SIL said we should call the police, which turned out to be a good idea. The officer took a [lengthy] report and said he was going to go look for the truck. Well, our nerves were frazzled after that. SIL cooked salmon with a mayonnaise-dijon sauce, and sauteed spinach. It was delicious. He's quite a cook. Our six year old granddaughter was the entertainment...she had had some ice cream so she was flying high on sugar.

I was thinking I wouldn't have any wine, but after the accident I needed one to come down from the ceiling. Still, I think I only had maybe 9 ounces all evening. There was half a bottle left when I put it in the fridge, and J and DD each had a glass.

It is amazing what adrenaline can do to you. We both slept like the dead last night.

Today we walked 2 miles. It's effortless now, so it may be time to step it up a notch. No walk, no wine. Good incentive. Dr. Perlmutter (Grain Brain) says one glass of red wine a day is good for you. I used to drink a lot of white wine.

Let's tally up today's food intake:

B: Sharp cheddar omelet.
L: Waldorf salad with leftover chicken, apple, celery, walnuts, mayo.
D: Pork chops and roasted cauliflower.
S: Cashews and Kool-Aid (Hawaiian punch flavor). I make it myself with those little packets and sucralose, and I water it down.
2 small (1 large) glasses of wine.

Food tastes incredible now! We don't get hungry, but when we tuck into a meal, we go nuts. OMG, it's amazing, like we never had food before! We really look forward to meals, and everything tastes fantastic. What's up with that! Remember your very first Krispy Kreme donut? That's what I'm talkin about! (sorry for the high-carb analogy but it was the best I could come up with)

Last edited by RyeBaby; 05-12-2014 at 10:11 PM..
Old 05-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I ate sugar today and man, am I pissed! We went out for errands and lunch--it's so hot in the apartment today (hot Santa Ana winds). We went to this place called Tin Leaf. It's one of those healthy/natural/local/organic kinds of places. There's no nutritional info because it's not a chain. We had steak salads with blue cheese crumbles and a whole-grain mustard vinaigrette. Good. Enjoyed. ITwo hours later, I'm starving. I haven't felt gnawing hunger for a week now, and today I'm ravenous. Ohhhh. There must have been sugar in the dressing. Rats! I'm hopping mad. I didn't even eat all the greens because it was arugula and a little of that goes a long way. Amazing the effect it had on me. So I went to bed early so I wouldn't go jonesing through the kitchen...like what would I find, ha ha.

So I made up for it by not having a glass of wine tonight. I did it! I didn't have a glass of wine! Woot! And we even went out!

The kids came down to take my SUV (DD's broke) and we took 'em out to dinner. Had grilled halibut and grilled veggies. It was just okay. Drank a bottle of Pellegrino.

Well that was lunch and dinner, what about breakfast? Bacon (2) and eggs (2). DH cooked the bacon, ultra crisp...not how I like it. Meh. Oh and we shared one of those little cans of V-8 juice. I like that you can get vegetables in at breakfast, and it's only like 2-3 ounces each, so very few carbs.

Tomorrow we have a date to go to Black Angus with a dear friend, so I know I'll have a rib eye and blue cheese salad. Might have a glass of red wine. Just one. Over and out.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

We have been so hot in our little upstairs apartment with no AC and no fan. (No heat either, can you imagine?) It got as high as 93 degrees in here and I can barely think. All around us are fires and smoke. In fact, I was lying by the window last night, praying for a breeze, just one, please--and I thought someone was smoking outside. I am a former smoker (15 years smober) and usually cigarette smoke doesn't bother me, but this was just ick. So I moved to the other room (there are only two rooms here if you don't count the bathroom, lol). Then I realized it was from the fires, duh.

Because it's so hot we haven't been able to get out for our walks. We got up very early to try, but it was already too hot. Hotter than the desert that we just moved from, in fact.

I sat on my can all day and puffed up like a sausage in the heat. I had been drinking a lot of liquids all day just to stay hydrated and cool. Lots of water and close-to-zero carb water drinks, but I drank a lot. And I think I retained every drop.

Now let's see, what was dinner...we did not go out with our friend because of the fires and evacuation traffic, we rescheduled for Saturday. I pulled some hamburger patties out of the freezer and I had an onion, and some green beans that were at death's door, so, sweating bullets, I fried the onion, grilled a couple burgers (there are two of us) on my trusty little grill pan that I brought from home, topped 'em with cheese and fried onions, and nuked the poor, sad green beans, which I doused with butter.

While this was going on DH was having trouble with the TV and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it--I am the tech-nerd of the family (he is 71), but I was busy cooking dinner (and sweating bullets, remember), but he was getting frustrated...he was missing the basketball game, god forbid. As the smoke alarm was about to go off I left him to his own devices because I couldn't be in two places at once. I had a third of a bottle of pinot noir in the fridge and decided it was as good a time as any, and I poured myself a glass. And then, because it was so hot and the bottle was nearly empty, I freshened my glass. Then I fixed the TV. I unplugged/rebooted the cable box and voila. Piece o' cake.

Lunch had been deviled eggs. Very nice little lunch, if I do say so myself. I had a square of 70% chocolate with the last of the wine for a decadent dessert.

But that was yesterday. Today we had bacon and eggs for breakfast...we eat late so we decided to give intermittent fasting (IF) a try. We occasionally have a two-meal day, but didn't know we were fasting, but we're going to try to make that a regular thing around here. (DH is on board 100%)

So we had no lunch. For a snack I had two big "zero" carb drinks, coconut and pineapple flavored waters, and a handful of walnuts.

Dinner tonight will be chicken piccata and sauteed spinach with shallots. I will probably have a glass of chardonnay because I "need" to open it to splash it in the chicken dish and as long as it's open...

It's finally cooling down here. We'll sleep much better tonight.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

The onshore breezes have returned and brought fresh, cool air. Aaaaah.

We had a minor hiccup yesterday (well, I did). We went out to dinner with friends at a place called "Ignite," which was only a few hundred yards from where one of the fires had been. Ironic to say the least.

I did great, food-wise. I had wood-fire roasted salmon (fabulous), wilted spinach, and asparagus. Wonderful, wonderful! But I had three glasses of wine. No regrets, but I need to be more mindful. Diligent. We sat there for a long time visiting before we ordered, and I drank a big glass of water throughout, but still. I simply need to not do that.

We are going out again tonight (and tomorrow, mercy!) and I already know what I will order, I don't have a problem with any of that, it's the wine that gets me into trouble.

One of our friends, who is the same age as me (65) joined Silver Sneakers. We will have a fitness center at our new neighborhood, but I am going to join the one by our house. Very excited about this! How fantastic that everything is clicking into place at the perfect time. Right action!

I have quit drinking spirits, but I do not want to give up my glass of wine with dinner. I'll add more exercise before I do that.

We liked doing IF the other day. No issues. But we found it difficult to do two days in a row. We were digging into the snacks around 4. Plus we knew we would not be eating dinner until 7 or later. When we're home we can eat earlier. We are going to try to do IF every other day until we get used to it.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Tonight we went to see an old friend and take her to dinner. We went to Black Angus, near her house. I had a ribeye and green beans, and a salad with blue cheese. One glass of wine, which I did not touch until the steak came. The dinner was so so. I definitely didn't overeat today!

I am coming to realize that the wine, while I really love it, makes me feel hunger. It's a hard habit to break, but I AM getting there.

We did the IF today. Breakfast was a sausage and cheese omelette. No lunch. A handful of walnuts was the snack. I can't help thinking I am eating too much food.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Yes, I do think we are eating too much food, and maybe some of the wrong foods. Last night I made the "Crack Slaw." DH was using the computer so I had to wing it, which was fine, I turned out a tasty product although it was a little salty. I used ground turkey and the meal was so light, you just knew you were eating healthier. Next time I will use more coleslaw mix and less meat.

So I've got some work to do to lighten up our meals. I was reading Stillman's Diet here and it says NO on the fat. I don't know if I could go that way long-term, but I AM going to go easier on it now. Cream may be zero carb, but it's super calorie dense! I make ice coffee in the afternoons sometimes and we use cream, but only a few drops.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Here are the week's dinner menus:

M: Baked boneless skinless chicken breast (mayo & parmesan), broccoli.
T: Filet mignon, roasted Brussels sprouts, blue cheese salad maybe. 1 glass red wine.
W: Bernstein's marinated chicken grilled, zucchini.
T: Pork tenderloin (garlic & ginger), roasted asparagus.
F: Hamburger patties, fried onions, green beans or cauliflower depending on what's available. 1 glass red wine.

* Breakfast is always scrambled eggs. Sometimes with turkey sausage, sometimes with cheese.
* Lunch is either tuna salad, ham rollups, or deviled eggs, and we may go out for Cobb salad one day.
* Snacks this week are either salami, nuts, or celery/cream cheese.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Well, the 1 glass of wine turned into 2. What else is new. I had the last swig of it with a teeny piece of a square of chocolate. Heaven! I tried watering it down but it didn't taste right.

We went to see Fed Up yesterday and after that we went to the supermarket. Do you know how hard it is to buy food without sugar (or its derivatives) in it? It's IMPOSSIBLE! (of course you knew that.)

I am doing a food log--I'm trying to be more aware. Today we are eating 1200 calories: 34% protein, 10% carbs (26), 56% fat. I don't know how that stacks up to the ideal but I intend to find out.

I put the nuts in little zip-bags for portion control. We have been eating too many of those!
Old 05-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I didn't feel tip-top most of the day yesterday...I guess the wine, although it was a small amount, was enough to kick me out of ketosis and I felt it. The alcohol has to go, and I need to get that into my programming. I don't drink liquor at any other time but every day at 5:00 it's like somebody flips a switch...I pour a glass of wine and it turns the drudgery of cooking dinner into an enjoyable, creative experience. And I swear I make better meals! Or maybe it's because everything tastes better with wine.

At any rate, my consciousness is raised and I am working on it. Honestly, I am. Before, I would buy 5 bottles of wine and 1 brandy every week--you save 30% if you buy 6, and I am nothing if not thrifty. I polished off 3/4 of a bottle of wine every day. I used to drink a big brandy, Kahlua and cream (non-fat 1/2 & 1/2, lol) every night. (I gave that up years ago)...now we know, how did I get so fat!

Now, I buy 1 bottle of wine every 4 days. So I've cut back a lot. Even if I don't drink it, I like to know it's there if I want it.

Okay, so yesterday I felt mildly crappy all day, no energy, no focus, didn't give a rat's patooty about much, and I was effin' STARVING all day. Which means I had gone out of Keto. I maintained a self-flagellating mindfulness of this all day, internalizing "it was the wine that did this, ya dummy, learn from it!"

So I drank green tea all day, thinking it was a good thing, but then I was flying on caffeine. Wheeee!

It was also quite possible I did not eat enough calories: 1400. I started a DitFay counter so I could really LEARN about portions and proportions once and for all (I've spent my life guessing and assuming), and how some things, like nuts and cheese, require mindfulness because they are easy to overdo if you're not paying attention. You'd think I'd know this at my age, and I guess I do, but sometimes I need to be woken up again.

I had a SF Jello with a drizzle of cream for dessert last night, but I was reeeeally hungry when I went to bed.

Today is more of the same, but I have a beautiful pork tenderloin to look forward to tonight. I'm gonna put garlic cloves in it.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Day three of not feeling my best. I went for a walk yesterday but it didn't revive me. Today no walk. I'm feeling achy all over and I have a headache that comes and goes. I guess it could be "Carb Flu," but I thought I was over that weeks ago.

Anyway, we're hanging in there--we have no choice, we have no car (it's in the shop) and the food we have is the food we have, and it's all LC. Things are more precise now that I have a counter, I can see what I'm doing right/wrong.

Tonight we have hamburger patties and grilled onions, Italian green beans (no bacon), and coleslaw. Dessert will be J-E-L-L-O.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:41 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I haven't journaled in a while. I've been busy! Reading, learning, reading labels, cooking, eating, cleaning up, calculating food, walking...dieting is a lot of work! But I am learning so much. And I feel great.

Today marks Day 4 of no alcohol. Once I made up my mind it had to go if I was going to be successful at losing weight, I was able to let go of it. I'm sure I will have some moments, but it has not been as hard as I thought it would be. I was working so hard at doing everything right and the booze was making it impossible to lose.

Looking back, I don't think I've ever done a LC diet correctly before. A little wine, a little this, a little that... Well, this time we're going whole-hog. J is right in there with me. He has lost a lot of his paunch already. We have been doing this about 6 weeks, but for me it's like 4 days because of the wine.

Yes, I lament that, but c'est la vie. I thought I could get away with it--my bad. It feels pretty darn good to eat clean. I still do a little aspartame, but that's about it. Tried stevia--bleaugh!

27 days till we move. Will it EVER GET HERE!
Old 06-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I swear, there is so much to learn! I get a bunch of newsletters from various paleo peeps every day. It takes me a half-day at least to get through all the links they send, and then it's walk, cook, eat, clean up. Today I discovered some podcasts. Which meant I had to charge up the iPod, then download iTunes which was hopelessly out of date. Well, it's all incredibly interesting. I downloaded the book, "It's the Food" and I devoured it, thinking we might do a Whole30. I decided not now, we're too up-ended with the move coming in three weeks. Maybe in a few months, but I learned so much about how food and our bloodstream works. I will never knowingly eat grains/flour again.

I also learned on a podcast about leaky gut, inflammation and heart disease, and how toxic alcohol is, although the panel all admitted they drink a glass or two of red wine on occasion. When I think of the amounts of alcohol (some very fine wines and some horrid cheap stuff as well) I have consumed in the course of my adult life... I am so lucky I still have good health for my age, At least I think so, anyway.

While on the subject of alcohol, today is DAY NINE. We have even gone out to dinner a few times. I was worried I'd have a problem with this, but I don't. Maybe they'll come later, but meanwhile I'm just going along with it. It was fun while it lasted, and it's not forever, it's for now.

So how is the diet going? Great! I think it's a good thing that I don't have a scale; I'd surely get disappointed. I tried on my golf shorts yesterday and they fit SO much better! They were so tight before, but they fit perfectly now. I think I could even tuck in my golf shirt, not that I would. I'm still size 18, but it's a loose 18, not a tight 18.

We went out to dinner with friends last night (for steak--I can't cook a steak here) and we shared a wedge salad with plenty of blue cheese, a filet mignon with peppercorn sauce, spinach and a cauliflower gratin. We each ate about half our entree and were stuffed. I didn't eat much of the cauliflower because I suspected there might be flour in the bechamel sauce, but we had the leftover steak and spinach for breakfast. I love spinach in scrambled eggs...

Even if we don't do the Whole30, we are making efforts to adjust. We have cut back on the artificial sweeteners, we're watching the nuts--I am, anyway. We feel great. Sleep: Great. Heartburn: Gone. Joint pain: Hardly there. Chronic cough and gunky sinuses: Gone. Energy: Great. Mental fog: Gone. Still peeing like a racehorse. Strange.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

A Tale of Three Sisters

I am one of three sisters.

My oldest sister eats a horrible diet; always has. She was an obese child and she lost a tremendous amount of weight in her college days by eating next to nothing. That was then. Today, her day is likely to start with cookies or a muffin that she baked from a box mix on sale. She seldom eats lunch--if she does, it's a piece of nonfat processed cheese on a single piece of wheat bread (the cheap colored white bread) with Miracle Whip. About 4 or 5 o'clock she sits down with a beer and some chips. She likes anything crunchy. The crunch is her drug. She digs in for a handful and puts them on the table in front of her (no plate, no paper towel). Depending on her day, she might go for several more handfuls of crunch and have another beer or two. Dinner is usually broccoli with fat-free margarine or bag salad with sweet Marzetti's Slaw Dressing. Sometimes she has some kidney beans. Cake for dessert. This is every day. There are no less than 12 kinds of cookies and various types of chips/snacks in her pantry. Sadly, the grands eat super-sweetened cereals, cookies, and full-sugar sodas. They are medicated for ADHD.

She is a lifelong vegetarian and has the osteoporosis to prove it. She doesn't go to the doctor because she thinks they're all quacks--I can't say as I disagree with her there. She is very obese from her tummy to her knees, but her face, neck and arms are thin. She has almost no muscle. She can barely walk, and she is all twisted and stooped over, carrying that size 26 belly around. She would like to get one of those motorized chairs but she won't spend the money on herself. I will say this about her, she's 76 years old. Not a good 76, but she's still going. She bought in to the fat-free concept years ago and will not be swayed.

Middle sister (age 71) is a piece of work. She eats meat, but she also eats candy all day long. She has suffered with depression all her life. She has had IBS, Crohn's, and eventually had surgery to remove her colon. She couldn't tolerate many foods, especially dairy, but that didn't stop her from eating ice cream every day. She is so fat she can barely waddle to the car without being out of breath and she says she has zero energy. I am not sure if she eats bread or not, but she lives on pasta and noodles. She recently had all her teeth pulled because they were in such bad shape and is now trying to get used to dentures (sister #1 also wears dentures). They hurt, so she eats chocolate pudding instead of food, and ice cream. She was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes a few years ago but now she says that's no longer true, despite the fact she hasn't been to a doctor. I don't know how much she weighs, but she wears a size 3X. Her life is all about consoling herself and finding comfort in food. She has a little dog she feeds treats all day long and it's so fat it looks like a football, poor thing.

I told her she would feel so much better if she gave up wheat and sugar for just a couple weeks. No, not interested, she says, she can't handle deprivation.

Now it's my turn. I am fat too, I'll state that right up front, but I am healthy and active. I am 65, and I walk almost daily, I play golf weekly, real golf on a championship-size course, and as soon as we get moved into our new home I'll be in some kind of exercise class. I have always been athletic. I played tennis. In my 30s and 40s I jogged and lifted weights. Today I feel great and I have all my teeth. I get my teeth cleaned three times a year. I get mammograms and regular checkups once a year and my numbers are pretty good.

Since I quit eating grains I have more energy, focus, and drive. It's like a veil has been lifted. I have been preaching the evils of sugar for decades, and I seldom ate sweets, but I drank wine every day. I do love wine. I used to drink a couple [big] white russians (with fat-free half & half, ha ha) after dinner, but my weight shot through the roof, so I gave those up years ago. I rarely got hangovers but I went through enough lost weekends to worry. I have given up the liquor now. I used to smoke, not a lot, but I quit 15 years ago, which contributed 40 lbs to my waistline that I never took off. I wish I'd never let myself get this big (size 18), I don't know how I let that happen. I love life and want to live long and prosper. I feel like I am just getting started.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

A Tale of Three Sisters

I did not write the previous post to denigrate my sisters; I love them. But, as we have aged, it has become very apparent how different my life is from theirs because of our dissimilar eating and activity habits.

Last edited by RyeBaby; 06-11-2014 at 10:10 AM..
Old 06-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: giggles4me
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: JUDDD / low carb
Start Date: 8/16/2014
Hello RyeBaby,
I am loving your journal... It's so down to earth and honest...
I never drank wine, but this is my second day of giving up COFFEE, it seems it was more sugary creamer than coffee...

Keep up the good work..

I am one of three girls too. I am the middle sister and we are all so very different...

Last edited by giggles4me; 06-11-2014 at 11:00 AM..
giggles4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cincin
WOE: HCG and low carb
Start Date: May 2014
Hi Rian,
I stumbled upon your journal as I was exploring the forums. I enjoy reading your posts and wanted to say Hi!

Cindi
Cincin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
You know what they say Ryebaby, We can choose our friends but we can't choose our family....
Meme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Hi Friends, how nice you came to visit.

It's all good here, we have less than two weeks in our cave (rental apartment. Well, as long as we're eating like cavemen, we might as well live in one. It's not an awful place, it could be worse, but it's not home. It is getting to be so hard to wait! But in two weeks we'll be standing in the middle of the boxes and wondering where to put everything.

We went out to dinner with friends last night, it was just so-so. I had been craving a steak (can't cook one here in the cave) and Jim loves their salmon. Well, wouldn't you know it, they changed their menu. So Jim had halibut and I had a flat iron steak. It was way undercooked and I nipped off all the edges before I asked for it to be wrapped up. We were with a group so I didn't send it back for more fire or I'd have still been eating it when everybody else was finished. Meh.

We had no lunch yesterday and I was SO HUNGRY when we got to the restaurant I didn't think I could stand it. I lived, but I'm hungry all day today even tho I had breakfast and lunch. We're having grilled chicken and Caesar salad for dinner.

I am still learning so much. While we're holed up in the cave I have time to read. Soon I will have no time for such indulgences. But for now, I'm reading the BEST BOOK! It's called Keto-Adapted by Maria Emmerich.

Thanks again for stopping by and leaving a note.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Hi RyeBaby I have just read your journal and love it. You are making me hungry just reading it. It sounds like you are doing pretty good. I bet you will be surprised when you get on those scales. You have to be going down. Nice meeting you. Loved the story about your sisters.
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:55 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Good morning RyeBaby Hope you have a great Holiday today. Pretty soon your house will be done and you will be comphy.
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Loving your journal ! Looked at pics of house and it's wonderful
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote