Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 06:51 AM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I specifically didn't look at calories, but was torn between the blackened tuna burger and an Ahi steak sandwich. They sounded equally appealing, but the tuna burger had a symbol next to it that indicated it was 600 calories or less. I almost ordered the Ahi sandwich just because it had MORE calories and I'm not counting them, but then decided if all things are equal, I'd go for the lower calorie option. I still have work to do, it appears. Anyway the burger was fantastic!
I think you're doing so well! Bethenny Frankel(a bit of a hot mess at the moment but let's look past that) actually had some pearls of wisdom in her book Skinnygirl Rules. She talks about something she calls Know The Differencial. Here's what she says...

"What's the differential between a cheeseburger and a veggie burger with cheese? If both would taste roughly the same to you, especially if you dressed the veggie burger up with mushrooms, onions, ketchup, mustard, pickles, lettuce, and tomato for the whole burger experience, then the differential is small. That's when you go for the healthier choice—the veggie burger."

I agree completely. I think both sandwiches sounded equally good to you and you went with the lower calorie, perhaps healthier one. I think we can look at things like that unless it drives us nuts and takes away the joy of eating. I make a vegetarian chili that I really love. I prefer it to beef chili. But I don't think I'm "good" because I eat the veggie one or would be "bad" if I were to have the beef kind. It's about knowing the differential.

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...nny-jeans.html
50 pounds gone baby
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #182
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I like the idea of the differential. If I can make sure that I'm choosing based on what I want rather than the calorie count, and all other things are equal, then it should be fine to choose the lower calorie option. Now if I want the beef burger instead of the veggie burger and opt for the veggie burger just because of calories, I know that's not what I'm striving for. That's a good perspective. Thanks Joanna!

Last night, DH made the bulgogi, brown rice, and (steamed, not roasted) asparagus. I took a small portion of each, added butter <gasp> to the rice, and a small amount of mayo <gasp> for dipping the asparagus. It was really good. When I finished, I was still a little hungry and mentioned my craving for ice cream. Of course DH and Keira then wanted ice cream too, and requested McDonald's sundaes. I got a strawberry sundae with nuts, ate half and could have stopped, but didn't want to. When all my strawberry was gone, I added a small amount of SF chocolate syrup. It was great.

The last four days, my weight has been really stable, between 148.4 and 148.8.

This morning I brought leftovers to work. I got hungry at 7:30 a.m., and had a pretty big portion of leftover pork steak with some horseradish mustard. That's what I wanted and I didn't feel the need to add any veggies, fruits, or starches, just to round out the meal. Right now I'm happy and satisfied without being stuffed.

10/24/11 @ 277.6
January 2014 @ 145
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Dawn It sounds like this way is working for you. I am so glad. You have done a great job.
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #184
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Your comment "could have stopped but didn't want to" kind of hit a nerve for me. I'm finding that my range of comfort - you know, where you're satisfied but still not overfull, or even full at all - is bigger than I expected it to be. I'm considering it a win when I eat enough to not just satisfy but REALLY satisfy, and don't feel at all stuffed right then, or 30 minutes later either. I think maybe that's where we are getting enough fuel, but not overly limiting ourselves (diet head). Great job!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Your comment "could have stopped but didn't want to" kind of hit a nerve for me. I'm finding that my range of comfort - you know, where you're satisfied but still not overfull, or even full at all - is bigger than I expected it to be. I'm considering it a win when I eat enough to not just satisfy but REALLY satisfy, and don't feel at all stuffed right then, or 30 minutes later either. I think maybe that's where we are getting enough fuel, but not overly limiting ourselves (diet head). Great job!
You've explained it much better than I did. That's exactly what I mean when I say I get hungry again too quickly if I stop when just satisfied. If I'm between satisfied and full it's much better.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmmaLiza
Stats: 240/155/125
WOE: LC: 70 lb; JUDDD: 15 lb
Start Date: LC: Apr 2012; JUDDD: Feb 2014
Love this conversation! (I craved McDonald's last night, too, BTW.) I love the 1-5 fullness scale, where 5 is stuffed, don't want another bite and 1 is constantly growling tummy. I further divide these into high, medium, and low just because it helps me focus on my body as it is right now, something that has been hard for me. These are backwards of Spinardi's numbers (though my definitions are the same), because she considers her a hunger scale.

So, in my terms, Dawn and Carol, if I eat to a 3 (neutral, could eat or not eat, doesn't matter), as I often do on down days, yes, I'll get hungry sooner. And if I eat to a low 4, I'll get hungry sooner than a solid or mid 4. I try to stay away from 5 and I have a reserve category of 6, which I haven't reached in a long time, but you can imagine how full that is!

I find that as my hunger deepens and I transition from 4 down to 3, that I want to eat again right then. And yesterday I did just that after lunch, then was unhappy later! Waiting till a mid-lower 2 is hard. I want to fill back up. I think this is where almost all my excess calories come from on a daily basis. Grrr.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #187

I'm still trying to find the hunger scale that best fits me and my neuroses.

So my pork steak has served me well. I had a little hunger at 9:30 or so but it passed quickly. It's 11:30 now and I'm getting some faint stirrings of hunger. The coworker is taking the early lunch and going for Mexican. He asked if he could bring me something back, and you know what sounds good? Chile verde! More pork! I must be needing something. Anyway, even though I brought leftover bulgogi, rice, and asparagus, I think I'm going to have him bring me back a side order of chile verde and a side order of refried beans, to which I'll add a little of the brown rice. I'm not a big fan of rice anyway, but like it mixed with refried beans. Weird? Maybe, but Keira does it too. Of course, now that I'm thinking about lunch, I'm getting hungrier.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #188

Lunch was at 1:00. Side order of chile verde and side order of refried beans. I didn't add any rice.

I was not hungry at dinner time, but Keira wanted to go to Sizzler. I got a salad bar and had a small plate of salad, fruit, crab salad, and a 1/3 cup of clam chowder. Then I wanted something sweet, even though I wasn't hungry. I had a strawberry shortcake shot (in a shot glass), a smidge of peach cobbler, and some ambrosia.

This morning my weight was 149.2. Dawn, don't eat when you're not hungry!

Today, I've been up since 4:00. It's 6:00 now and I'm just having my coffee. I think I'll take some mango habanero chicken sausages to work for breakfast. They sound good now, but might not by the time I get hungry. I also have my leftover leftovers and NF Greek yogurt if they sound more appealing.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #189

"Comparison is the thief of joy!"

Kristin, I'm trying to remind myself of that. Here's a picture from the Bruno Mars concert last week. We went with Jer's friend who is dating a local newcaster and he took a picture of us. She is super tiny. I'm standing one step down from her and DH is two steps down. She's so pretty and thin and perfect and I look at myself and see all my flaws. So what I'm concentrating on instead, is that my wrists look smaller than hers! You have to take the good where you can get it right?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bruno Mars concert.jpg (23.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #190
Big Yapper!!!!

Dawn, what are you talking about? You look beautiful! And your wrists are totally tinier than hers.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #191

Thanks, Carol. Here's to small wrists!

I didn't get hungry until about 10:00 this morning and had a good portion of NF Greek yogurt with EZ-Sweetz. Then DH (Jer, BTW, since I just realized I called him that in an earlier post - short for Jeromy but pronounced Jeremy) texted me that he'd like to take me to lunch. Thank goodness I didn't have a great big breakfast.

L: 1:00, we went to a trendy sandwich place/pub we went to a couple of weeks ago. I got a cup of beef/barley soup and we shared a tri-tip sandwich and sweet potato fries. I may have had about a 1,000 more fries than I needed. Okay, maybe not a 1,000, but several. I'm full (not stuffed, but close).

Tonight, I'm going to surprise Keira with a quick trip to the mall. She has an awards assembly tomorrow where she expects to get a trophy for high honor roll (straight As) all 4 quarters. I can't confirm, since we don't have her report card yet, but I'm fairly certain she'll get it. If so, she'll get a trophy, and she wants to look "extra pretty." I told DH I was going to take her to the mall to pick out a new outfit and shoes, and meet him at the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. It's the best way I could think of to get Keira to hurry. That girl can shop for HOURS!!
Old 06-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Congratulations on her wonderful grades. Have fun shopping and I LOVE Cheesecake Factory!
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmmaLiza
Stats: 240/155/125
WOE: LC: 70 lb; JUDDD: 15 lb
Start Date: LC: Apr 2012; JUDDD: Feb 2014
I can shop for hours, too. I consider it my aerobics. So I must do it often!

Beauty. I have such conflicting feelings on the subject. Part of me is not very secure or mature and wants to look a certain way--very petite--and part of me knows absolutely that how I look has almost nothing to do with what people think of me. When I meet someone, their looks are all I have to go on for the first few seconds, but as soon as we start talking, everything shifts and it becomes almost nothing.

I met several new people last night. One, for example, as she came into the conversation, I noticed she'd outlined her lips in brown pencil but was wearing nothing inside the outline. The effect was a bit cartoonish. I told you I wasn't very mature. But I'm being honest to make a point. However, within seconds, I was only aware that she was incredibly warm and funny and extroverted. I'm really glad I got to meet her. In retrospect, she looked just right--for her. I think that's beautiful.
EmmaLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Dawn - You have the most adventurous palate on the planet! Eating meals with you for a week would be like experiencing the food of every culture/ country. Fantastic!!

Emmaliza - If I came face to face with the woman with the brown lip liner, I would spend the entire night mentally filling it in with matching lipstick. I am OCD with stuff like that. And people with their hair in their eyes? I'm mentally cutting their bangs as I talk to them. And shopping is the best thing ever.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #195

I probably would have offered the lip-liner woman some lipstick, thinking she forgot hers.

I'm not a big shopper. It's better now that I can find cute things in decent sizes, but it's still not something I enjoy. Keira LOVES it.

As for the palate, I just love to eat. Since I don't cook, and DH works a lot, that means a lot of eating out. DH cooks pretty regularly, but not all the time. Thankfully, he likes a lot of different cuisines, and we've raised Keira to be open to all kinds of foods too. Food is culture, even though we don't need to absorb ALL the culture in one meal!
Old 06-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #196
Big Yapper!!!!

How exciting for Keira to get that award. And for her proud mama and papa too, I'm sure. Whatta great kid!

Joanna, I'm picturing you coming at me with a pair of scissors right now! I'm wavering about whether to let my bangs grow out, or at least longer, so I haven't trimmed them in awhile and they're looong!

Stephanie, you're so sweet about the lady with the lip liner. That is exactly why I don't line my lips. The liner ALWAYS lasts so much longer than the lip color. She probably didn't even realize how she looked!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 06-06-2014, 05:06 AM   #197
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm a lip liner girl, but constantly checking if I need a lipstick re-fill

I'm another person who eats foods from all cultures. I was raised that way and am grateful for it.

Congrats to a 3 of you on Keira's amazing grades.

I've been eating higher DDs. I still usually fast till 9:30pm on M and W, but I'm eating more than my standard 200 calories. You guys are definitely giving me the courage to try eating every day.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:05 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
As for the palate, I just love to eat. Since I don't cook, and DH works a lot, that means a lot of eating out.
Eating out is my favorite form of recreation!
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I've discovered the glories of clear lip liner! I need lip liner because of the feathering I get now that I'm an old lady, but hated the visible line. One of the MU sites was raving about clear lip liner. soooo awesome!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #200

Dinner at the Cheesecake Factory was great. We sat out on the patio. It was 98* which was fine since I'm always cold. I did opt for a salad though, due to the heat. Lovely chopped salad with chicken, bacon, avocado, etc. I ate most of it, but left a little behind, and one piece of their sweet brown bread with butter. We ordered cheesecake to go. I got the chocolate raspberry truffle. I never got the urge to eat it last night, so it's sitting in the fridge here at work. That's probably going to be lunch.

I did wake up hungry though, and had a bagel with cream cheese and coffee at 6:00. Keira's awards ceremony is at 9:30, so I'll take my "lunch" then, and then eat at my desk afterward whenever I get hungry. Thankfully my job lets me move around my schedule like that. I'd hate to miss her award.

We scoured the mall and didn't find any cute dresses or shoes that she wanted. She ended up getting a neon pink t-shirt and is wearing it with her "blingy" distressed jeans. Such is life when you have a 9-going-on-19-year-old. Nothing we found was "her style." Plus, she's tall for her age, but a bit pudgy, so most clothes in the girls' section don't fit her well, and juniors' stuff is too revealing and mature for her. Rough age.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #201

I had about 3/4 of the slice of cheesecake at 11:00. I'm not hungry exactly, but not really satisfied. I'll probably need a snack in another hour or two.

Keira's ceremony went well. She got a certificate and a little trophy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keira Straight As 4th Quarter.jpg (22.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 06-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #202
Big Yapper!!!!

Keira is adorable! She is going to be a beauty with that dark hair and those eyes!
Old 06-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
She is so adorable! What a sweet smile! Great outfit, BTW.
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #204

Thank you ladies. She's a joy (most of the time!).

As I suspected, the cheesecake did not hold me over well. I had a chicken patty with horseradish mustard around 1:00, and it's now 4:00 and I'm hungry again. DH is working tonight, so I get to choose what's for dinner, but nothing sounds good. Or maybe EVERYTHING sounds good.

I keep hearing about these Argentinian Red Shrimp from Trader Joe's. I think that's what I really want. I went last week and they didn't have any. I may have to stop there after getting Keira on the way home and hope they have them. Otherwise, I have no good plan for dinner.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #205

Long and not pretty ~ skip if you're squeamish!

I had a very big shock this afternoon about somebody I went to school with. He was a principal at an elementary school and committed suicide this morning when the deputies arrived to serve a search warrant based on allegations of "crimes against children." Apparently he was caught last week in a darkened room after school with a 5th grade girl. He has been a school administrator for a lot of years and they're now looking for other victims. I was not close with him, but a lot of my friends are very close with his family. My heart is breaking for his wife, but I'm also furious at him, so there's a lot of conflict going on right now in my heart. I see the suicide as an admission of guilt.

I was abused for years and years and it's brought up a lot of my fears for Keira. We've had lots of talks about inappropriate touching, and she gets it, but this is all over the news, and she knows I knew him, so I wanted to talk to her about it before she caught anything on TV. Anyway, I was going to talk to her over dinner, but she wanted to go to the outdoor gourmet food truck venue and there's no privacy there.

I got a lovely gourmet sandwich on a croissant, but my mind was not anywhere near that sandwich. I ate the whole thing without tasting much at all or paying attention to any hunger/satisfaction cues. I looked down and was surprised to see I ate the whole thing. I'm uncomfortably full now and didn't even enjoy my sandwich, instead playing the conversation I was going to have with Keira over in my head.

We came home and discussed what had happened and went back over inappropriate touching and unwanted advances and all that stuff. I told her what happened and not to be surprised if she sees something on TV. I have NOT told her about my personal experience yet, but I can see that coming in the next couple of years. Thank goodness she's a well-rounded, confident child.

Anyway, I found out that acute emotional stress is not conducive to intuitive eating. I also plan on having a very large cocktail tonight, even though I'm stuffed. I'm owning it and will do better tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #206
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
My goodness, I'm so sorry. I read about that in the Bee.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #207
Big Yapper!!!!

Wow, Dawn. That is shocking, and it must be particularly so having known this person. I'm sorry you have had to go through the abuse in your past, and I'm sure this brings a lot of that to the surface again.

I hope you had that/those cocktail/s tonight. Well earned, my friend.

I used to underwrite commercial insurance and had to evaluate applicants for sexual abuse liability coverage. The things I had to learn about sexual predators and their behavior was not pleasant. Like, you almost have to get into their heads to evaluate the risk. Disturbing. My heart goes out to his family, and all the poor kids that were his victims and their families. Lots of victims from these crimes.

Hope you can sleep well tonight.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:16 AM   #208

Thanks. I'm feeling better this morning. I had a large (like a double) rum and diet. Surprisingly, I slept well. I'm sort of avoiding FB right now. I just don't want to see what friends are saying about him, his family, his actions, etc.

It's about 5:15 a.m., and I'm sort of borderline hungry. I think I'll make some coffee and see what happens from there.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:39 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

How terrible and shocking. Coffee sounds like just the thing! Hope today is better.

Joanna
Old 06-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #210

Breakfast: Patio Cafe ~ Egg white frittata with spinach, parmesan, and toasted pine nuts, fruit, coffee.

It was delicious and just the perfect serving size.

I'm feeling really good right now. I'm headed to Kohl's in a bit and am thinking about getting some new size 8 jeans and khaki's. Sadly, I was in 6s pretty comfortably. I'm consistently carrying around about 5 more pounds right now and my 6s fit my butt and thighs well, but the muffin-top is obscene. I could try to diet back down those 5 pounds, but I'm really enjoying IE. I think I could be happy in 8s forevermore if I don't have to worry about food all the time. Now, if I end up back in 10s, all bets are off and I'm going back to dieting!