Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 06:34 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/120.2/120-122
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Taming The Hungry Beast

Today is day 9 off what I hope will turn out to be more than just another experiment. I read a book last week about hunger directed eating (HDE) that really turned my head. Novel approach, really, suggesting that hunger is actually the natural motivator for eating. But when you've spent the past who knows how many years subduing hunger because of dieting and eating because of a myriad of unsettling emotions instead, it really is revolutionary to think about learning to simply provide your body the nourishment it wants when it really wants it.

Sounds pretty simple, and frankly, pretty exciting at the same time. But, it has also been more than a little scary for me. If you eat when you're hungry and eat what you really want, won't you gain a ton of weight in no time flat? If I have a piece of carrot cake today, don't I need to fast tomorrow? If I'm not restricting what I eat, how will I ever get these last 5 pounds off? If I'm not weighing every day, how will I know how much damage that ham sandwich and sunchips did?

But, despite the nervousness, I jumped in last Tuesday. It has been a delight to have the things I've been restricting, but more than that, learning to recognize true hunger and wait for it is making every single thing I eat absolutely fabulous. Monday I made an egg sandwich for lunch and you would have thought it was a lobster tail with drawn butter the way I savored it.

I finally decided, too, that I'm going to break the obscession with the scale. I've been weighing daily for a very long time, and it can completely control my mood for the entire day if it's not the number I'm shooting for. I won't give up weighing for good, but I want to wait until the first of May. I have a pair of Guess jeans, size 27 waist, that I found at Goodwill that I'm going to use to measure my progress. Right now there's a more than ample muffin top, so they're going to be a good barometer.

The book is, "Thin Side Out: How to Have Your Cake And Your Skinny Jeans Too" by Josie Spinardi.
CarolinaCoast is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

So, what have I been eating this past week? How am I navigating through this hunger thing?

First, I have to say that I absolutely love to eat out. It is my favorite form of recreation. In the past 8 days I've had lunch out 4 times and dinner out twice. I'm meeting a friend for lunch today, too. But HDE makes my lunches look a little bit different than when I was doing JUDDD and having lunch out on an Up day. Yesterday I ordered a turkey, bacon, avocado wrap with homemade chips and a slice of carrot cake. I had half the wrap, a few of the chips and about half of the carrot cake. I brought the rest of the sandwich and chips home and had that for dinner. I left the carrot cake because it was pretty much mutilated since I mainly wanted to get to the icing. At dinnertime I laid out the rest of the wrap and chips on my pretty new cobalt blue salad plate with some coconut pecan cookies for dessert. After I ate the sandwich I only had room for half a cookie so my husband ate the rest. Before I would have eaten the entire wrap, all of the chips and all of the cake at lunch and stopped at the bakery on the way home and had a couple of sweet rolls on the drive home.

This morning for breakfast I had half a ham sandwich and a few sunchips.

I'm still walking, but I decided not to time my walks anymore. I just want to walk when I feel like it for as long as I feel like it. I like the idea that a walk after eating will aid the body to regulate blood sugar without the need for such an extreme insulin surge, but I'm trying to separate exercise from weight control in my mind.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
CC, I'm so interesting to watch your progress on this plan. It sounds very peaceful. I sure hope it works for you. I'll be reading with interest!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoxyRoller
Stats: 315/259.8/200 next weigh 9/1/14
WOE: Calorie controlled, average 75 carbs per day
Start Date: December 30, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post
...learning to recognize true hunger and wait for it is making every single thing I eat absolutely fabulous...
I can definitely relate to that. I read your posts and found them very interesting, like LoCarbGal mentioned, it sounds very peaceful! I'm looking forward to reading your journal.
RoxyRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no more scale!
WOE: Hunger Directed Eating 4/22/14
Start Date: JUDDD: start 2/14-4/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
I'm on day 2 of this, CC and I am feeling quite liberated. It's so nice to read your journal. I'll be keeping up with it but not obsessively.

BTW, for dinner last night (while giving myself FULL permission to eat anything I wanted), I craved roasted brussel sprouts. So I stopped by WF, grabbed some, passed the seafood bar, got a cup of corn and crab bisque, grabbed a rosemary baguette, didn't even consider a cookie or scone (previously my WF nemeses), checked out and drove home. I filled my plate with a yummy avocado, fennel, spinach salad and roasted brussels, with a side of soup and some bread. I couldn't finish the soup, salad, or bread. That was an incredible experience for me.

I just left a lunch place with the following in a doggie bag: 3/4's of my sandwich, almost all of my chickpea salad, and 2/3's of my pancake shortstack. I over-ordered but got everything I craved. I FEEL SO LIBERATED.

Last edited by Green; 04-16-2014 at 10:56 AM..
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Carol and Roxy, thanks for following along with my journey it will make it even more enjoyable knowing I have someone to share it with.

Green, I'm excited for you. I found the first week to be very enjoyable. Strangely, in this second week food is becoming a little less important to me. I just got back from lunch with a friend and can honestly say the conversation surpassed the food. I don't think that's ever happened to me before.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Hi, I too will be following your journal with interest, thank you for starting one.

I am a lurker on JUDDD and have been for a long while. Sadly I had to quite JUDDD a while back because I am a terrible binger and I couldn't keep my UDs under control. I am a constant dieter of which I am pretty good at but when given half a chance I fall off the wagon big time!!! To put it mildly.

I will be giving this a go starting tomorrow and keeping fingers firmly crossed it works for all of us.
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, so what's so revolutionary about this hunger directed eating thing? After all, isn't that the very thing that got me into all this trouble in the first place back when I was 20 years old? I mean, I've been hungry all day every day my entire adult life! But, that's just the thing. Nobody is actually hungry all the time, it's more like we just want to eat all the time.

In Josie's book, she guides you through the signs of real hunger, and if you're really intuned with it, it usually doesn't come on hourly. In fact, depending on what you've eaten last, it may not actually reappear for sometimes as many as 5 hours.

The first day I let loose the reins I started the day with a cinnamon raisin English muffin with butter when I got up about 4:00 am. At 7:00 I was hungry again and I wanted a banana with mayonnaise (go figure). That only lasted me an hour and a half so I had vanilla yogurt with cashews. I wasn't hungry again until lunchtime. My lunch that day was chicken tips with green peppers and onions, sweet potato fries and cheesy grits. I ate the chicken tips and vegetables, some of the sweet potato fries and a couple bites of the grits. We ate dinner at 5:00 and I wasn't too hungry yet, but had dinner. I ate a ham sandwich with a few cracker chips and a shortbread cookie. I was satisfied for 14 hours! That hasn't happened again, but I've been stopping with half a sandwich instead of the whole thing.

And that's the other half of the equation, knowing when you've had enough. This is the most beautiful part. You simply rate the taste of your last bite of food. When you're truly hungry the first few bites will be a definite 10, I mean out of this world wonderful, like my egg sandwich on Monday. But as you become satisfied and your hunger begins to wane, the food starts tasting a little less enjoyable. This is when it's time to wrap it up. Now, what we're used to doing at this point is to keep on eating, pursuing that awesomeness we experienced at the beginning of the meal. But the thing is, you can never get that flavor explosion again until you're truly hungry again. If you keep eating past that time, it will only delay the future hunger longer and you'll have to wait longer to experience it. If you stop at the right time when the taste begins to diminish, you'll get hungry sooner and can experience the bliss again. It makes every bite a real pleasure.

I need to say a little something about my weight. I said I'm not weighing again until the first of May, but last week I weighed every day. It stayed between 124 and 126 which has been my desired maintenance weight for over a year now. Well, actually, during JUDDD this past year my weight after UDs was fluctuating between 128 to as high as 133. That being the case, these past 8 days with no fasting and no restrictions have been remarkable. I'm expecting that come the first of the month I will likely still be around 125. It will be interesting. Even though I have a half-hearted goal of 120, I'm not going to let it influence my decisions.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJS View Post
Hi, I too will be following your journal with interest, thank you for starting one.

I am a lurker on JUDDD and have been for a long while. Sadly I had to quite JUDDD a while back because I am a terrible binger and I couldn't keep my UDs under control. I am a constant dieter of which I am pretty good at but when given half a chance I fall off the wagon big time!!! To put it mildly.

I will be giving this a go starting tomorrow and keeping fingers firmly crossed it works for all of us.
Hi! Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Very cool, CC.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/118.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
CC- Thanks for starting this journal. I will be watching your experiment with interest. I have issues with binging and have read the book but did not put the ideas into practice. With your success, I am motivated to read it again.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Kristin and Marika!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no more scale!
WOE: Hunger Directed Eating 4/22/14
Start Date: JUDDD: start 2/14-4/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
Quote:
Carol and Roxy, thanks for following along with my journey it will make it even more enjoyable knowing I have someone to share it with.

Green, I'm excited for you. I found the first week to be very enjoyable. Strangely, in this second week food is becoming a little less important to me. I just got back from lunch with a friend and can honestly say the conversation surpassed the food. I don't think that's ever happened to me before.
That's amazing!
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:48 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

CC, I'm interested in this time period for you. Although these books suggest it's inevitable that we stumble with this kind of eating, I wonder whether it's hard not to doubt yourself when it happens.
I stumbled at two or three weeks in when I tried this and ended up not trusting my instincts for a while - fell back into external rules, feeling like a a broken person that needed controlling, etc.
The value of Juddd for me has been to bring me closer to real hunger every day, and to contemplate what that brings up.
Is it clear sailing for you?
It amazes me to learn how uneasy I am about the idea of not dieting. It's like my entire psycholology assumes a brokenness around food and eating.
This is very interesting. I've enjoyed the book and hearing about your experience.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Kristin, during these past few days it has been very difficult for me to even think about not dieting, to just let it go and trust my body. I'm having to re-read the book several times.

Monday night I fell into the dieting mode and it led to a slip up. I had decided on salmon, broccoli, and sliced tomatoes for dinner. Last time I ate this, which was the Friday before, I found myself hungry again in a couple of hours. So this time I made a mental calorie count (first mistake) and decided having dessert with it would be more satisfying, not be too many overall calories, and hold me for the rest of the evening. That was fine, because dessert isn't the devil and if you're hungry it doesn't really matter too much what you eat. This time, though, there were two problems. I had gotten really hungry before dinner and had a very satisfying snack at 4:30. Well, now when dinner rolled around at 5:30 I wasn't too hungry. But, in my mind, I was thinking about the calorie count of the salmon meal and I was looking forward to the cream horn. I was thinking with a dieters mind, 'I can have this and it won't hurt me.' I wasn't thinking about whether I was hungry or not. So I just sat down to eat. I didn't pay too much attention to the fact that it didn't taste as good as it usually does, but I went on and ate it all (second mistake). When I finished the cream horn (which wasn't that wonderful), I wanted something else to eat. Now I was 'chasing the taste' as she puts it in the book. I wanted a flavor rush. So I took out a cinnamon roll I had picked up at the bakery and started eating it. First bite was ok, not wonderful, so I took another one from the other side. That's pretty good, then another and another and I ate the whole thing. Then it hit me, and I fell right back into 'making the plan.' I decided to take a walk. Then I thought maybe I should have a Down day tomorrow (for the health benefits of fasting, of course, to stave off dementia). But I pulled myself back together the next morning because I know that if I start back with the deprivation I'll immediately start 'gasping for food' and binge on my next Up day.

I guess that's a long answer to your question, but yes, it isn't linear. I've been restricting my entire adult life, and this winter it escalated into binges worse than I even experienced in my 20s. Some weeks I even found my bulimia returning. So, dieting is deeply ingrained in me and it is thoroughly frightening to just end it, let it go, and trust my body.

This week I also decided to stop weighing. That's frightening, too. But, I'm determined to test this out.

I always said that I believe I could reach my goal weight if I simply stopped bingeing. I always more than made up for the calories I saved on DDs by overeating on UDs. The problem was, I had no idea how to control myself around food. I believe I will gradually learn with hunger directed eating. Already I'm spending a lot less mental energy on thinking about food. For example, last night I slept really well and wasn't preoccupied with thoughts of what I wanted to eat and planning my meals for the next day, I just slept. That was very different for me.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: giggles4me
Stats: 160/133/125
WOE: my way! low carb & low cal
Start Date: 2/15/2014
CC, I will be following your journal...This sounds so interesting...
giggles4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Jeanne! I'm really pleased you'll be reading along. I'll be looking forward to any thoughts you have about this.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

CC,
I imagine our thinking needs a lot of healing. How wonderful that you seem to know that at some level even while diet think was barging in.
One of the challenges for me is not to think forward at all. Just, am I hungry now and what would be perfect. The moment I begin to wonder what would sustain me for hours or what happened last time I ate this, I'm into planning and calculating.
I'm enjoying the wild deliciousness of food when I'm truly hungry.
I'm kind of dovetailing this with Juddd. I hope that's because I tend toward cycling anyway. Perhaps something diet-y is still going on there, too. I'll just do my best to let go every day.
Millions of mikes to go before this is easy.
But it makes SO much sense.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, you're right about that, the thinking forward thing. At the bottom of it for me is that little voice that says if you're satisfied longer, maybe you'll end up eating less and ultimately lose a little weight. It's insidious!

Hey, what are some of the wonderful things you're enjoying?
Old 04-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

This conversation is so interesting! And just remember, you can't expect to be perfect right from the start, or even 100% of the time. I think that's a major roadblock we all have in whatever we're doing with our eating. If we mess up even a little, all bets are off. What is that all about? Crazy.

It sounds to me like you are doing magnificently being mindful. You made a very quick recovery in realizing what you did that was "wrong" and you'll learn from that.

I'm terrified to try something like this, but reading you guys' thoughts and what you're going through may get me closer to trying something like this some day.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 04-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

You're so right, Carol, it's just another way we sabotage ourselves. This is by far the scariest thing I've done, just stepping away from dieting. But, surprisingly enough I find myself eating far less than I was even on JUDDD, even despite that incident with the cinnamon roll. Today has been really peaceful. Sleeping so well last night without the intrusive thoughts of food felt like genuine progress. I'm so pleased you're curious, it makes it more fun for me not going it alone. Have you looked at the book yet? You might find it interesting just to see her line of reasoning. Remember you can return it in 7 days for a full refund if you don't want it.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

So, tonight we go out for spa year. It began back in September as spa month. I decided to set aside the month of September to focus on pulling myself together to be my best. February was just around the corner when I'd turn 55 and I thought, wouldn't it be great to be in the best shape of my life at 55? Well, it didn't take long to figure out that such a lofty goal would take more than a month, and spa year was born.

Anyway, a little while ago I decided to tweak my budget to make room for dinner out on Thursdays in honor of spa year to reflect on the past week's progress. Last week we enjoyed Mexican after which we went to The Creamery for homemade ice cream. Tonight is an encore.

Having whatever I want is pretty exciting. Last week I had Mexican shrimp cocktail, chips w/guacamole, and a kiddie cone of the most delicious butter pecan ice cream I think I've ever had. I was really moderate with my dinner and brought half of it home, so I was still a little hungry when we had the ice cream which made it taste super fabulous. I'm starting to get hungry now, but I want to wait instead of having an afternoon snack so I can enjoy a similar flavor explosion tonight. It's most certainly worth the wait. I'm not sure what I'll order, but whatever it turns out to be will probably taste amazing.

Clearly I'm still in that phase Josie Spinardi calls "donuts and Doritos" where you're taken with the excitement of having whatever you want whenever you want it. Later on food is supposed to become less of a novelty, but until that time arrives I'm enjoying every minute of this.

It's somewhat strange to be saying this since I've spent the last year on JUDDD which has allowed me to eat anything I wanted whenever I wanted it every other day. But for some reason that was very different for me. The DDs consistently pushed me beyond hunger to a feeling of deprivation. (Translate that starvation.) And as a result my UDs were usually spent gasping for food to make up for it and consistently looked more like binges than simple periods of refueling.

This is a lot different. I don't let hunger go that far now. It doesn't feel desperate and it doesn't hurt like it did on DDs. That being the case, the hunger is satisfied with much more civility. It's what I imagine normal eating to be.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
You're so right, Carol, it's just another way we sabotage ourselves. This is by far the scariest thing I've done, just stepping away from dieting. But, surprisingly enough I find myself eating far less than I was even on JUDDD, even despite that incident with the cinnamon roll. Today has been really peaceful. Sleeping so well last night without the intrusive thoughts of food felt like genuine progress. I'm so pleased you're curious, it makes it more fun for me not going it alone. Have you looked at the book yet? You might find it interesting just to see her line of reasoning. Remember you can return it in 7 days for a full refund if you don't want it.
I've watched all the videos on YouTube and I have looked up the book on Amazon. I may try it and return it if it isn't "my thing." But I most definitely am curious, and so pleased you're having good results!

Spa year sounds like a great idea! And allowing yourself to enjoy things like these is great. Have fun!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Carol, in another thread you described eating when you weren't hungry (if I remember it correctly) and then continuing to eat and eat for no understandable reason.
This book spells out those reasons really beautifully in a way that hasn't permeated as well before for me.
Today I had a bit of that. Overeating is almost guaranteed when I'm not hungry at the outset because of that 'chasing the satisfaction' thing.
Whenever I eat something I don't truly want (sometimes something über healthy but not delicious) or I eat before I'm hungry, there is a slightly insane, conditioned drive to keep going.
I'm getting way better at meeting that impulse and seeing it for what it is.

I'm amazed at how rarely I truly get hungry and at how little it takes to stop that hunger.
I'm trying to change my thinking re: passing, failing, succeeding, screwing up with this.
I'm working with an excellent dramaturg right now who sees everything in terms of learning to go where you want to go with your writing. No failures, no mistakes. Just experiments, developing your own guidelines and goals.
If I apply that to this, I experimented this afternoon with peanut butter when I wasn't really hungry and then some excellent pita chips with salsa, both of which taste ten times better when I'm hungry. They were pretty disappointing. Both bowls.

I stopped way earlier than I used to and noted that this "meal" had a fatiguing effect. My energy tanked.
I felt a sense of failure creeping in and thought, no, nope, not going there. This was an experiment, here's what I discovered, it may happen again, but I'm aiming toward freedom. Guilt will not help that.
What will help that? Waiting till I'm hungry again and eating exactly what I want.

Another thing I loved in the book is her insistence that this is not an eat-when-you're-hungry-stop-when-you're-full diet. Because as soon as it's a diet, you're on it and winning or off it and losing. What an eye opener.
I've been doing that my while life.

Sorry to go on. Big learning.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you Kristin. I really do need to read this book. I know I have PMS-type control issues, but if I could get my head around them and stop the cycle, I would be so happy. I like your idea of this all being learning, and no mistakes. This whole journey has been a lot of learning, and it keeps on coming!
Old 04-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
oishee posted this readers digest version on Happy Eaters:

Hunger-Directed Eating

The question of whether you should eat or not isn’t fuzzy or confusing or indecisive or scary. When you’re hungry, you know it for sure, so you choose to eat. When you’re not hungry, you know you aren’t, so you choose not to eat (or you eat a small amount if there's something you just really want to taste).

Food tastes as amazing as possible when you do eat.

It’s very calming, soothing, & pleasurable when you’re hungry, mindfully eating and enjoying every bite. And when you’re hungry, it comes naturally to feel thankful for your food.

When you’re eating based on hunger, you tend to go for mostly satisfying, substantial foods because you’re eating what your body craves when it’s hungry, which is satisfaction and substance.

When eating based on hunger and being a mindful eater, it’s easy to enjoy dessert foods, candy, & snack foods in small amounts, because you know that too much of it will upset your body and leave you feeling sluggish and in a bad mood, and you’d rather save most of the room in your tummy for filling, substantial foods.

It usually doesn’t take very much food to reach satisfaction, which means lots of yummy leftovers, & saving money on food!

When satisfaction is reached, you feel energized and rejuvenated, ready to tackle other things (like shopping, & hanging with pals ^_^). Food serves it’s rightful place as the battery power you need to fuel your LIFE!

When eating till satisfaction and eating what you and your body truly crave, you feel physically great on the inside.

There is no guilt or regret after eating. Just happiness and satisfaction.

When you’re feeding your body just what it needs, it will then calmly release extra fat stores, and you can effortlessly get to your ideal weight.

Non-Hunger Eating

When you’re eating for reasons besides hunger, it’s a mental battle. “Should I eat? I might regret it later. I know I’m not hungry. But I just feel like eating...” Your mind is conflicted and you may start to feel stressed from this mental battle alone.

Food doesn’t taste nearly as good when you’re not hungry. You may eat more to “chase the taste”, but you can never reach that deliciousness that you’d have if you were truly hungry.

Eating can start to feel robotic and understimulating when you’re not hungry. You can eat loads and hardly recognize the distinct tastes & textures. It’s hard to appreciate the food when you don’t actually need it.

During non-hunger eating, you tend to go for empty, nutrient-lacking foods. When your body isn’t asking for food, you don’t have its appetite to direct you, so you just go for whatever tastes good.

When non-hunger eating, you’re not listening to your body, so snack foods & desserts are often eaten recklessly and without regard for how you’ll feel later. This always backfires though, because soon the negative effects show up - you’re bloated, tired, your mood is lowered, you’re overly full, and sometimes even nauseous or in pain. Also, the room in your tummy that could’ve been used for real, nutritious food, is all taken up by cookies or chips, which lack the nutrients your body needs (protein, vitamins, minerals, fiber, water), leaving your body in a malnourished state.

When non-hunger eating, satisfaction is usually never reached, which means LOTS of food can be consumed during this time. So, lots of wasted money on food you didn’t really need or want, and no leftovers to look forward to.

Non-hunger eating usually doesn’t stop until you’re sick, very uncomfortable, or the food is all gone. So afterwards, you usually feel sluggish, tired, or in pain. You don’t want to do anything but lay down or sit somewhere. You end up wasting hours or even days being inactive and doing nothing!

When non-hunger eating, you feel physically unwell. Headaches, digestive discomfort, stomach pain, a stretched out stomach, very low energy, and low mood usually follow.

When non-hunger eating is frequent and unintentional, there can be guilt and regret after eating. You question why you ate so much, & wish you hadn’t. Sadness or frustration usually follows.

When you’re over-feeding your body, it can do nothing but store the excess food as fat. You either become fatter or remain at a weight higher than what’s optimal for your body. Maintaining a comfortable body size can feel frustrating or impossible.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:25 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you!
Old 04-18-2014, 05:33 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Last night after a very peaceful day and an enjoyable dinner out, I got an old familiar wave of fear come over me. It's that feeling that usually leads to a bout of self-sabotage. It happens when I'm making obvious progress with my body goals and I can see that this time it will work.

Back on December 1st it happened. That day I didn't weigh, but I was wearing one of my skinny outfits and it fit me perfectly. When I looked in the mirror I had that wave of fear and at the same time a feeling almost like hatred. It's like seeing someone that you feel jealous of and for a minute there you hate her. These were feelings I had toward myself, like an enemy within. That night I went out and binged and ruined the progress I had made. It continued on through most of the winter until I woke up sometime near the first of this month.

This time it will have to be different because I'm not going to stuff myself with food when I'm not hungry. Now I know what it actually feels like to be hungry, and now I intend to allow myself to be my best. Last night I just sat with the feelings. This morning I got up and wrote my way through it. With the anxiety came a craving for carrot cake and sweet rolls. So in a little while I'm going out to the bakery and get what I want. If I want them for lunch today, I'll sit down at the table with a cup of coffee, put them on my favorite blue plate and savor every bite - until I'm satisfied. Then I'll wrap up the rest and if I want to, I'll have it for dinner, too. It won't be a binge, and it will taste incredible.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:40 AM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Wow, your honesty and self-knowledge are blowing me away! THIS is the hard work it takes to overcome these crazy eating patterns we have.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

CC,
I know what you're talking about.
Whenever I get lean, crazy family things emerge from my reptilian brain somewhere. It's like I'm breaking the contracts in my family that say that my sister is the skinny one, I look like my Mum, beauty is vain, etc., etc. These personality rivers run deep.
Each time, though, I feel that stuff becoming less powerful.
God, we're lucky to be on this trip, aren't we? And to care enough about ourselves and freedom to do it.
I do not know what's happening with this stuff. I'm feeling like a normal person these days: no planning, no overthinking. It's like something has dropped.
So glad for this book at this time, and for hearing about your experience with it or along for the ride, CC and Carol.
Hi Ouiz!