Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #271
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Well, You're down work for a while. Hope fixing up the car goes well, and more cheaply than you think. It would be nice for a change, wouldn't it? Enjoy your spring weather! Hope you don't get dumped right into summer heat and humidity! We've had a nice spring,and summer seems to be here already. I'm ok with it, now. But September I'm getting a bit ancy for cooler weather. We're hot to MN over Labor Day weekend for BIL's wedding-should be good timing for a cool weather fix by then!
julieboolie is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #272
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
That will be a nice time to go to MN. It's hot and sticky today but a t-storm and "cold front" is moving through and will cool us down. If you need a "cool fix" you always have the mountains nearby. I guess it's not too cool in Prescott or Flagstaff during the summer either.

I'm hiding here at home today, trying to stay comfortable. I don't have the a/c's installed in the windows yet. I guess I should go and get it over with but I'm just not ready to give up on Spring. The aromatic bushes are still in full bloom so this heat is probably just temporary.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #273
Big Yapper!!!!

Aromatic bushes...do y mean lilacs? I miss mine! I some real beauties, and azalea and my hydrangea . I miss that part of my east coast life. I'll take dry weather and sunshine every day as a fair trade, but I miss my people back home too. Much friendlier I think.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #274
Big Yapper!

It's a kind of lilac bush but it's pink not purple. The purple lilac bush by the street is done blooming and the azalea is done but the rhododendron is just in the first few days of being full. I love Spring.

I think you are in the part of the country that suits you best. I just know I can't tolerate that kind of heat anymore. I was only in the Phoenix area once but I thought it felt humid. Someone said it was because of all the residents watering their lawns to keep them green. I was amazed how humid it felt.

How was the water park?
Old 06-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #275
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Your flowers sound amazing ! ENjoy your spring !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #276
Big Yapper!

Copy/Paste from the horse thread:

Cool! We have Grosbeaks here too but I haven't seen one in ages. I love birds. I love when I can hear them through the open windows, like in the Spring and Fall. I miss having horse stories to tell, to be honest. I miss Ellen the goat and the three mini's but I just wish I could go when nobody else is around. Now that SHE moved into the apartment, there is no more sneaking available.

I loved those days when I knew they'd all gone home and I could just buzz up there with Cissy and say, "Look! Mini's!" She didn't care much about the animals, she just wanted to run around freely and sniff stuff. She'd get such a cute, quizzical look on her face when I'd call her over to where I wanted her to focus her attention and she'd see what was on the other side of the fence. And the mini's weren't afraid of her the way they were of the ex-manager's threatening german shepherd. They just wanted to smell her and check her out. To see all of their expressions was so precious.

My favorite day to go up there was Sunday and now it looks like they've got me working every Sunday. I don't think I like that arrangement. I will make noise as time goes on and tell her I want to go back to every other Sunday. Just because I don't mind working weekends doesn't mean I should just take what everyone else says they don't want. And I really do need and want a full 8-hour shift.

I put my first $100's aside to be sure I remember it is not to be spent. If I get into that habit, maybe I can put a couple hundred away each month. I called my auto mechanic to get an estimate for fixing the engine's leaky seal, a full tune up and for replacing the windshield wiper fluid motor. I didn't get a call back but I prefer to talk to the owner anyway, since I have so many things to get done at one time and since he's a friend of my nephew. Better to get the best possible deal.

I want to feel confidant about my car when I make that trip to and from Virginia (where my sister is moving to. Might as well just say it. I'm tired of beating around the bush and VA is a big enough place.) The car and I BOTH need to be in a good place for the trip. Easier to work on the car than on myself.

I'm guessing it will be around $300 for the work on the car, but I may be way off. I know he quoted me about $150 just for the leaky seal in the engine, which I thought was more than fair. I have no idea what a tune up costs. I'm ashamed to say it but I've never had one in all the years I've owned this car. I was told when I bought it (when it was just 2 years old) that these newer cars didn't need tune ups. I take things too literally and trust what I'm told all too often. I fear this is why my mpg is so pitiful. Poor car is choking and gasping down each and every mile we travel.

And I want him to do the oil change (since he's changing the seal anyway) and give me a new wiper fluid motor cause my current one bit the dust. I don't like having to sprinkle water on it from a bottle when I need it cleaned. If it was winter, I could at least use a few snowballs and pelt the mother before turning the wipers on. It's time for a new wiper fluid motor.

But I have new tires!!! I may have him check my transmission too. Just doesn't feel quite right these days. Maybe it's in need of an oil change or whatever they do to auto transmissions but it feels "off." I'm going to ask him to work on the car June 24-25 (if he needs it for an overnighter.) I will have time to get the car back and head to work after that, with a little wiggle room to spare. I will tell Dee and her attendants that if they have emergencies during that time, they can't look to me to come to their rescue.

Cissy's eating her marrow bone on her bone blankie and Coopy's hopping too close for comfort. Cissy's doing this low growl thing and Coopy's skirting the perimeter. Holy CRAP. He turned and made a beeline straight for Cissy's face! She just growled a little more urgently and Coopy hopped away. I said, "Cissy! Coopy doesn't want your bone, she just wants to see what you're doing." I love how I can trust my dog with my bun-bun. It's a miracle, really. I never thought she'd ever not want to grab the bunny and shake it like it was a squirrel or one of her stuffed animals. But Coopy's just part of the family now.

Back to work tomorrow and I didn't do a dog gone thing all week. Never went shopping for new shirts that I can wear to work. Oh! BTW. Dee's a/c isn't running cause she can't tolerate the noise of it. It's a little warm in the house, or so I've been told. Come on! She always had it running before. I can't handle all of summer with no a/c. That could be a deal breaker, cause she probably won't even be able to tolerate me taking a paper plate and turning it into a make-shift fan. No open windows, no fans, no a/c? How is SHE going to handle that?

If that's the way it has to be, she's going to have to allow me to go out to my car and sit with the a/c blasting for a while a few times per shift or I won't make it. Or she will have to accept that I will have a cold towel wrapped around my neck to keep me comfortable. I am ordinarily hot when others are comfortable or maybe even a bit chilled. This is a big deal for me.

I'm thankful for this job in more ways than you can imagine. I never thought I'd find a job before a week had gone by since quitting the farm gig. I know how blessed I am. But I have to be able to stand the environment. I can deal with talking for hours in the dark and all that, but being overheated and dealing with all the rest? Ut uh.

So I'm going to squirrel away my pennies and stop spending money like it's always payday and see how much I can accumulate. With age comes wisdom, or so they say.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #277
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Sounds great, very relaxing days off.

When I took care of my Dad in Oregon heat... 100+ & he was cheap on air conditioning... I used ice packs. I would stick it in some part of my clothing, and it worked great. Take a few & switch them out from the freezer... or a hot water bottle filled with ice... I use a damp wash-cloth on my neck when exercising, but its cooler here. Hope you can find a way that works good for you. That's such a blessing, that job.

DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #278
Blabbermouth!!!

I really hope the job works out for you Cheryl.

Cissy and Coop sound so cute ! I love it !

Glad you are getting your car worked on and saving for a rainy day..... good job !

ttyl !
Old 06-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #279
Big Yapper!!!!

Sounds like you're doing great. Hope the car repairs aren't too expensive, and dee can turn on her a/c. Surely she must get uncomfortable too? The ice pack idea is a good one, and shouldn't effect dee in any way.

Cute about your doggie and bunny getting along so well. Our kitten is finding his way with our 3 dogs. The little dog seems very interested in him and is very good with him. The bigger boys don't like him, but don't bother him either. Water park was fun! Such a nice option for us. I don't find it humid here at all! Maybe I. The monsoon season, July, it gets a bit humid from time to time with storms around, but because it's so dry the water evaporates off your skin after swimming causing evaporative cooling and I get so cold! Goosebumps at the waterpArk every time!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #280
Blabbermouth!!!

Morning !

No A/C ??? Yikes ! I would croak.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #281
Big Yapper!

I will croak too, Laura. I sweat. I got really overheated last Sunday after we ate dinner and we had gone back to play cards. It's a standard sort of card table with the plastic/cloth covering on top and I was sticking to the table. I'd pull my arms away and you could see the marks where my arm had been. The heat emanating from my hands curled the cards (if I'd been holding them for a while.) I took a moist paper towel and dried my arms and forehead and whatever else but it doesn't provide long-term relief. I'll need to bring a hand towel with me today so I can use it to drape over my neck.

Ice packs are another idea. I have one of those gel packs for first aid but I don't know. I think the towel would be a better option cause I can use it to wipe down and then refresh it at the sink anytime I need to. Oy! I just hope and pray she gets this figured out soon cause I will go bananas in the heat and stagnant air.

Julie, you're so funny. Goosebumps at the water park in AZ. I'm glad you find it to be low humidity. Maybe the time I was there it was just after a good soaking rain. We had gone there to buy a slide-in truck camper. Bought it, I drove home. Backed into the driveway (with a blind husband who couldn't spot me) and proceeded to collide with the edge of the roof at the corner by the entrance.

Gotta run! Went and took my shower, forgetting I had a post in progress. Have a great day, everyone.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #282
Blabbermouth!!!

sorry it's so darn hot there. Really hot and humid here ;/ Hope you are doing ok !
Old 06-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #283
Big Yapper!!!!

Hope you can find a solution for the summer months. That would be rough!

Yes! Very dry here, most of the time. Maybe you came mid monsoon season? It'll get s bit humid once in a while during the monsoons. Hope all is well!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #284
Big Yapper!

Hi, ladies. It's been fine at Dee's so far without the a/c. I'm only really over-heated after dinner. It's partially from the whole routine of calling in the order, going back inside to play games, leaving to get the food, bringing it back and eating. I end up in a big hot flash that takes a while to cool back down. I've just gotten used to it and I adjust.

It happened even after I ate a small appetizer of stuffed mushrooms for dinner. I had no idea just how small it would turn out to be. I didn't know you could stuff such tiny mushroom caps. Dee's right. That restaurant really does suck.

When I consider how hot and miserable I am all summer long at the farm and add in being out in the direct sun and all the biting bugs, I can NOT complain. I have it made.

Hope you all have a lovely week.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #285
Big Yapper!!!!

True. Definitely an improvement over outside with the animals and bugs! Good perspective!

Hope you're doing well!
Old 06-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #286
Big Yapper!

Had one crappy day at Dee's yesterday. Read all about it on the last page of the horse journal.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #287
Big Yapper!!!!

sorry for the bad day! hope it improves!
Old 06-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #288
Big Yapper!

That was written 10 days ago, Julie! I have been active on the horse thread so if you'd like to read how things are going, come on over there.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #289
Big Yapper!!!!

Come post here too! It's hard to keep up with too many threads!
Old 06-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #290
Blabbermouth!!!

lol ! Cheryl's cheating on us Julie !!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #291
Big Yapper!

Well, that's why I haven't been posting over here, Julie. Just pretend the horse thread is my journal and read the posts I wrote. Otherwise, I'll just be seeing you on your journal from time to time.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #292
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
lol ! Cheryl's cheating on us Julie !!
Ikr? I know it's tedious to keep so many posts going, so I sympathize. But I miss the daily Cheryl updates.

Cheryl-I'll pop over there and check up on you!
Old 07-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #293
Big Yapper!

Just wanted to pop in and wave hello! I'm doing well and doing nothing at all on this very wet, dark and quiet 4th of July. (Watching "Aerial America" on the Smithsonian Channel. Been on all day long.) Hurricane Arthur is going by along the coast and all we got was rain. No wind at all. It's in the low 60's! I opened the windows and shut off the a/c units which had been running for days. It's been so wickedly hot and humid. UGH!

The drug I give Cissy for storm anxiety isn't working. I think the latest batch was no good. I will have to let the vet know when they open again tomorrow. Poor dog. We've had some ferocious t-storms for a few days before today. Cissy got a whole pill rather than the usually effective half tab and it was like I gave her nothing at all. Shaking, hiding, panting, drooling, following me everywhere I went, etc. Poor dog. There's no reason for it and I'm upset they sold me something that was no good. I know they are no good cause she didn't even get incontinent of urine like she always did when she took a full pill. (I gave her a bath in the tub yesterday. Her skin is dry and flaky so now she's getting a daily fish oil capsule.)

I'm doing good. The job is going fine. I've become accustomed to Dee now and when she is having an off day, I don't take it personally. I'm working every Sunday and every other Friday, but I'm picking up this Monday cause one of her other ladies was in a pretty bad car accident. I think she's okay though.

Last weekend was hectic. I worked Friday, then Saturday I got a call from the woman's assistant who was supposed to be there at 1pm. She calls me 38 minutes prior to 1pm and asks if I can go in for her cause she has a terrible migraine and has been puking all morning. Then why did she wait so long to call me? I was scheduled to do another 9 hour shift on Sunday and the thought of doing three in a row was not kosher with me. Plus, I was mad she put me in a position to have to haul @$$ to get there or walk in late and have Dee be all worked up and worried, not knowing what was happening or if someone was coming at all. I told her I couldn't do it. I said, "Just tell me she won't be alone today!" (That was on a voicemessage cause when I called her back, she didn't answer.) She called back and I was busy. She left this message: "Not alone."

Around 5:15, I'm eating a very large meal that was delivered from the local Chinese Restaurant and I'm laying around in my PJ's. She calls me back and says that Dee's been alone all afternoon cause when she got there at 1, Dee sent her home cause she was too sick (Apparently, she is "sick" like this about every 6 weeks and it's always on a weekend. She always says it's a migraine.) She said, "Dee isn't going to take no for an answer. Can you come in for a couple of hours?" I could have strangled her. I said I'd get there by 6:30 but it wasn't much past 6 when I arrived.

OMG. It was so hot that day and I was so overfed and I would NEVER have eaten that much food if I was going somewhere (I ate fried [battered] shrimp and French fries with ACV and lots of salt, plus had tarter sauce on the shrimp. Buuuuurp.)

Anyway, the chick calls me again 2 days ago and asks if I can work this Saturday for her and she'll do my Sunday. Something about her Aunt wanting to go somewhere. I said I'd look at the calendar and tell her. Up pops the calendar on the computer and it's the day after the 4th, and the 4th is a wash-out. I said, "I'm sorry. I have a plan." That's how it came out. Not "plans" but "a plan." Dee told me this woman is wearing on her last nerve. I think she's lost the sympathy of Dee's other assistants and people are less likely to take shifts to help her out.

I have no "plan" for tomorrow but I will enjoy the day just the same. I might be able to see some fireworks from home. I usually can. (I'm not being intentionally mean to that woman, but I work every weekend and some of Dee's assistants say they can't work weekends at all. I think in a pinch, they should help out on a weekend.)

Oh, yeah! I have a little good news. I filed my taxes this April and then I got something in the mail saying I hadn't claimed the earned income tax credit. I filled out the simple form and the other day, I got a check for $400 in the mail! No idea how that came out to be so much but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I'll be putting the money into the car. I will be driving back and forth to the DC area a few times a year. I know I'll be going soon after the baby is born and that will be around the last week of August. I'm excited! Not about driving down there with my Mom by my side, but that's par for the course. Anytime I go there, she'll be with me. I won't be able to bear the guilt of not taking her.

I'm going to make it clear that it's not going to be an all-expense paid trip for her every time we go there and back, either. She can help by paying for a meal or two. Gas is freaking expensive. Even the mid-grade is over $4/gallon right now. And my car is so sucky on gas. That's one of the things I'm going to have done is a full tune up with all new filters and stuff. UGH.

I need to get a quote on the cost for all that stuff. I also need a new windshield washer fluid motor and to get my radiator totally flushed out and refilled. It's all gunky in there. And the transmission feels a little wonky. I don't know what they do to maintain a transmission but maybe it needs a good flushing out, too. Do any of you know what they do to an automatic transmission to just maintain it?

The leaky motor seal will have to wait, but I will get an oil change. I know it's due for one. OMG! It's a whole new chapter opening up in my life. I have a reason to drive long distances again and stay away from home for a few days at a time. I'll have to figure out how the heck I'm going to manage that with the rabbit and my betta fish. The fish is no biggie but the bunny is. I hadn't even thought that far ahead to work out the details. Oh no.

I wonder if they would allow me to put the bunny and his cage in the barn at the farm. Whoever is doing the barn chores can just make sure he has water and give him his pellets every morning and toss him some hay and a piece of carrot in the afternoon before leaving. They already do that for the morning girl's bunny but he's in the office inside. I don't want Coopy inside. It would be fun for him to be in the barn with the horses and the goat. Hmm... I can offer them some money. That wouldn't be much work for $25 would it? For four or five days? They'd have to scoop out the areas where he goes potty but there are only two places he goes, and they will only need to do it twice in that amount of time.

I know the perfect place for his cage, too! There is a wide, deep ledge in Ellen's stall, right above her hay holder. I'm so glad I thought of this. I'll just have to idiot-proof the rickety cage he's in.

My toilet seat fell apart last week. I was putting off telling the landlady cause I didn't want to talk about money but I just did and it turns out that she figures that she bought a new one when I moved in so any future toilet seats are up to me to buy. I guess that works but I only moved in less than 2.5 years ago. I've never worn out a toilet seat in my life. (The hinge broke.)

I hear fireworks! The rain must be over and now it's just an awesome, cool 4th of July eve! Way cool.

I hope you're all doing well. Time to copy and paste this for the horse thread, although they already know much of the stuff about Dee, etc. Sorry for the repeats, people! Info overlaps sometimes.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #294
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Cheryl! Good to hear how things are going. I'm glad you can enjoy the job, in spite of the stress of it all. Does sound like she needs to replace that gal.
Wonderful about the refund. Your car-fund is growing!
Fortunately toilet seats aren't too expensive. I just bought the best I could find (I don't like the cheap ones)... its sitting on my dresser waiting for DH to put it in. He's not in a hurry, the plastic one that came with the new toilet doesn't bother him.

Hope Cissy calms down soon.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #295
Big Yapper!

Hey, Deb. I don't know which toilet seat to buy but since it's up to me, it doesn't have to be like the one she provided me with. (Wood.) I'm wondering if a nice cushioned seat would be good for a change. I'm not like most men in that I don't camp out on the throne, but I'm thinking it might be a nice change. The only thing I worry about with the plastic seats is some have a pretty angular seat which sort of cuts into my legs. (The ones at the farm; they are the most uncomfortable seats EVER.)

I'm working today and tomorrow and now maybe from 1-5 on Wednesday. That is only going to be if the girl who was in a car accident wants to do the whole shift herself. I hope I don't need to do Wednesday cause I'm doing Friday this week too.

I'm drinking my second cup of coffee and watching a program on Nat Geo about the Galapagos, then I'm going to hit the shower. Need to shave too. I hear that as women age, they don't grow their leg hair as much, if at all. I'm hoping someday that's true but I still have the oil glands of a teenager on my face and head. I have a feeling I'll be growing leg hair until I croak.

Have a lovely Sunday, anyone who's out there reading. Sorry I've been absent. I'll try to do better.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #296
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Cheryl,
Hope your work-day is a pleasant one. I just got back from a good worship service, ate lunch & ready for Sunday afternoon nap time.
I don't care for the padded seats... the cloth ends up cracking & splitting, then 'biting' you. I don't think they last as long either. Course I like the heavier ones... but they are the most pricey.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #297
Big Yapper!

I was thinking about the cracking issue too. Maybe I'll just buy a good wood one. This one she bought probably cost $20. I might have to bite the bullet and pay $50. I refuse to pay more than that. YKWIM? It's not like I'm trying to impress anyone.

I'm glad you had a good worship service. Hope the nap was nice too. Work was good. We turned the a/c on and ran it until around dinnertime, then we turned it back off and kept all the windows closed. It stays cool in there so she'll have a comfortable night of sleep. At least we hope she will.

Time to fall off to sleep, wake to the alarm and do it all again tomorrow. I'm off Tuesday, though! Sleep tight, ladies.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #298
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope it doesn't cost you that much. Mine was top of the line & only came in at $40.
So happy for you that you can use the AC!
Good night!
Old 07-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #299
Big Yapper!

I don't know if we will have the a/c on today. She usually has it on every other day. She needs that day in between to recover from the dizziness she feels from the whirring she senses from the a/c compressor. It's weird but it's real and I hope to God I never fully understand what she goes through. What a way to live.

Have a good day.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #300
Big Yapper!!!!

Yay!! You're posting more! Good!!

Yay on the refund, and hope the car isn't too expensive!! Road trips are fun, but I'm sure over time you'll get so used to it it'll lack the fun part and just become a routine! But I do love road trips!!

You're working a lot!! That extra $ will certainly come in handy! hope you get a nice long stretch without any added craziness.

Enjoy your day off and your furbabies!