Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JohnAndHisCat
WOE: General low-carb, bit of a Ketogenic focus
Start Date: February 2014
Meow, otherwise known as John's Journal

Alright, here goes. I'm going to start a journal here to catalog my progress, hopefully it'll encourage me to stick with the diet (though at this point I don't think I need too much encouragement) and to flesh out my issues and thoughts as I go.

I started this diet on the weekend of Feb. 8-9, 2014. My weight had been around 170 lbs (I'm 5'7") for the past ~9 months. For a brief time last winter and spring I had gotten up to 180 lbs, which was ridiculous. I had to buy new pairs of pants! I managed to take off 10 lbs. through a couple of simple diet changes - the major one of which involved drinking no-sugar-added cranberry juice at night instead of the sugar-added variety - but I had been stuck since about the summer. FYI I'm 49 y.o. as I write this. My goal is to get around 155 lbs - and stay there. If I could get to 150 lbs or less that would be great.

I've been thinking of doing something like this for a while, but my final impetus was when I was watching the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics and saw all these healthy, young people and I thought to myself, "Damn, I should look like that." I've been feeding my cat the feline equivalent of a (semi-) "primal" diet for about 4 years with pretty good results - hence the screen name. If it works for my cat, hopefully it'll work for me!

Anyway, I'm a creature of habit and have a fairly predictable weekly schedule, so I can predict what I'm going to eat through the course of a week with a high degree of accuracy. At this point I think I've got a good idea what I can and want to eat in an average week, but since I'm just about a month into this, things can certainly change.

Monday-Thursday
Breakfast - Or, should I say, "breakfast." I am almost never hungry in the morning, plus I like to sleep as late as I can get away with, leaving me little or no time to eat, so basically I never eat breakfast. Since I started this diet my "breakfast" has consisted of a 16 oz. breve latte (that's a latte made with half-and-half). Plus I add whipped cream. Before I started this I was getting a non-fat latte with a syrup (caramel, in case you've just got to know), but I've abandoned that arrangement, having learned the "fat is good, sugar is bad" mantra.

Mid-morning munchies - At work in the middle of the morning hunger *finally* starts to kick in a bit. I used to always have 1 or 2 Reece's peanut butter cups, but I've abandoned that in favor of some nuts. Also I've been drinking a little extra tea to help satiate me. The past couple days I've started a new snack involving (very) dark chocolate with a pat of butter on top. I really like that one and may do it more than the nuts.

Lunch - This has been the best part of my diet for some 5 years running. On Monday and Wednesday on my way to work I stop by a coffee shop who makes me this nice, custom salad which I bring to work and eat at lunch. They give me enough in the salad to last for 2 days. The salad has lettuce (dark and light), shredded carrots, red pepper slices, cantaloupe and sometimes pineapple, plus a few other things. Over the past 1+ year I've had them give me olive oil for the dressing. Recently I asked them to put in strawberries when they have them. So that's my lunch 4 days a week. Until I started this diet I usually got a bag of chips (Sun Chips or Doritos) to finish off the lunch, but I've now stopped that. Evil carbs! Will start doing the chocolate-and-butter thing instead if the salad doesn't satiate me.

Dinner - This is going to be one or two pork chops, or a steak, or a chicken part and maybe an occasional fish, cooked in a frying pan or broiled. Plus a an omelet with cheese and/or some boiled veggies (usually string beans and carrots mixed). It depends on how hungry I am. At night I used to drink a lot of (no sugar added) cranberry juice, but I've learned that fruit juice - even with no sugar added - is not really a good idea. I will now drink a combination of water and watered-down cranberry juice, depending on my mood. My typical dinner is pictured in the photo above. Please, no complaints about the ugly dinnerware, I got them for free.

Friday
Same as above, except for lunch. On Fridays I've used up my lunch salads, so I used to go to Wendy's and have a burger and fries. The past two weeks I've been going to Arby's instead and getting a plain large roast beef sandwich, with nothing else. I figure the buns on that will be some of my token carbs for the week. For dinner, since I didn't have my salad veggies for lunch I've been making sure I have extra string beans/carrots then. Not every Friday is going to be like this, but most probably will.

Weekend
On the weekends I usually don't get up until sometime between 10 and noon, so breakfast is definitely not needed. Typically I finally get out of my house around noon, go to Starbucks, and (usually) don't eat until dinner. I'm still doing that, except I'm getting something different at Starbucks (same latte as during the week, I used to get a peppermint mocha), and for dinner I've been having something similar to my weekday dinners. In general I only eat one meal on each weekend day - same goes with holidays and vacation days. I plan on often even eating a sparse dinner which would make these particular weekend days be a kind-of "semi-fasting" day.

Anyway, for those brave souls who've had the patience to read this, thank you for reading it. Feel free to critique my diet, I'd be more than happy to hear suggestions.

------------------------

As I write this I'm around 163-64 lbs, so I've lost 6-7 lbs already. A couple mornings ago I got down to 162. I lost 4-5 lbs in the first two weeks, but have stalled a bit since. Nonetheless I think I'm still making progress.

Last edited by JohnAndHisCat; 03-21-2014 at 08:06 PM..
JohnAndHisCat is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

I just stepped on the scale and it said 160-161 lbs (hard to tell exactly on my scale)!! I couldn't believe my eyes!

Though I'm sure it helps that I got about 10+ hours of sleep last night. Probably slept off a pound or two.

Now, the trick is to get this level to be a typical range for the near future. Had been ranging about 163-165 for a few weeks.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Weighed myself this morning again and am definitively down to 160. Only 5 more pounds to reach my goal!
Old 03-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/204.6/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
You are doing awesome! Way to go!
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

This is a kind-of note to self: I am going to start buying fresh tomatoes and eat them as a snack with salt in the evening. I'm not sure I'm getting enough salt anyway. Plus I'm not sure I'm getting enough potassium, and I read that tomatoes have pretty good amounts of potassium.

I do have cantaloupe and a few carrots in my lunch salad and I often (but not always) have green beans (and a few carrots) with dinner, but those are the only things I eat regularly that have decent amounts of potassium and I'm not sure it's adding up to enough. My morning multivitamin doesn't contain any either.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Y'know what? I just finished a tomato with a little salt sprinkled on it, and it made me feel great. Sometimes I'd been feeling a tad woozy now and then, and I've wondered if it was due to insufficient salt. I just might have hit the spot there.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Still stuck at 160-161, been there for a couple weeks now. So far my pattern seems to be to drop a few pounds over the course of a few days, then get stuck there for a few weeks, then drop another few pounds over a few days, and so on.

Otherwise, lately I've been skipping the veggies at dinner fairly often lately. I discovered they really do make me a bit excessively full at dinner, but if I drop them I feel just about right after dinner. I feel a bit guilty doing that, lol, but I usually only do that on Mon-Thurs when I had a sufficient amount of veggies in my lunch salad. That said, I did still skip them yesterday (Friday) even though I had no salad for lunch. I don't intend that to be a regular occurrence.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Alright I've got a short-term goal: I'm on vacation this week (not going anywhere, just doing stuff around the house), and on days off from work I tend to eat less than when I go to work. I've been hanging out right at 160-161 for weeks now, I'm gonna see if I can hit 158 at least one day this week. This afternoon the scale was *almost* wanting to get to 159, but not quite there. Let's see if I can do it ... without starving, of course!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndHisCat View Post
I'm gonna see if I can hit 158 at least one day this week.
I did it! 158! Was almost at 157 even.

Only 3 more pounds to get to my (short term) goal!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I hit a firm 158 - almost 157 - again today so I've definitely made the goal I set for the week.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Still hanging out around 158. Was kicking around 160-161 for several days the past week due to a bit of cheating, which, in turn, was because of some heavy-duty field work I was doing at work which made me really hot and tired, and which made me want to have some ice cream bars and a can of (regular) Pepsi.

In the meantime, I just went to a body-mass index calculating website and determined my "ideal" weight would probably be around 140. I think I'll make that a long-term goal, but in the meantime I'm still working on getting to 155.

Even if I could make it to 145 that would be great.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Been hanging out around 155-156 the past several days, though I'm going to wait another week or so to see if it sticks before I get too excited. I even hit 154 a couple times, but I've also jumped up to 157-58 a couple times too. Anyway, 155 is my short-term goal, so I'm making progress!

But now that I've gotten to my short-term goal with a fair amount of ease I'm definitely going to go for the longer-term 145-lb goal. Maybe even 140, I don't think I've weighed that little since I was in my 20's.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
cogratulations! As you are in WA and a cat lover, are you familiar with Foster Dad Johns Kitten Cam ?
makrida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

^
Yeah I've heard of it, never watched it though. Now that your remind me I might check it out tonight!
Old 05-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

if you go tonight, the latest batch ( Hitch hikers ) are about to be released into the big Room ! they're a lively bunch so should be fun
Old 05-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

They're so cute!
The Hitchhiker Fosters on Livestream

It's 10pm here, I wasn't expecting to see any action but there they are, playing away.

BTW there's 809 people watching now!
Old 05-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

This is another favorite of mine, these dancing kittens were just born ( on Camera ) about a week ago

The Dancing Kittens on Livestream
Old 05-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

OK I was just looking at my old driver's licenses I've saved (yes I saved all my old and expired drivers licenses going back to 2001 - don't ask me why, I don't know), and I weighed 140 lbs in 2001. So that will be my long-term goal.

I am certain I weighed in my 120's and low 130's for a big chunk of my teens through early 30's, but I don't think I need to get that low.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I've hit a solid 153 two days in a row now ... slow, but steady as she goes.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Niki_D
Stats: 255/240/150
WOE: HFLC/NK
Start Date: May 2014 (This time ;-P)
Wow John, you're doing great! Keep up the good work!
Niki_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I have started hitting 152 lbs with increasing frequency, including both of the past 2 days. Getting there slowly but surely.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

I hit 150 lbs this morning!!!!

I had hit 151 yesterday.

So basically I've lost 20 lbs in 5 months. Woohoo!
Old 07-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Awesome! Congratulations
Old 07-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member