LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 240lbs am 198 lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
Lean in 2014

This is simply a fresh start journal. I had lost 60 lbs and having regained 1/2 of it back I need to find the determination I am obviously lacking. I also want to figure out what the reason is I tend to have a stellar week and then self sabotage.. why one day I can be strong and order a black coffee and the next be headfirst into the donut case.

This is my plan.. and it started today. So sick of feeling sick.. I let myself have a good ole time as yesterday was my birthday.. and now I am thinking what a shi**y way to treat myself on my birthday!! So with the focus on me here goes!

#1 Write down everything I eat here, whether it was a good day or a bad day. No more avoidance when things aren't going well. Instead learn to recognize them.

#2 Prepare and portion my foods ahead of time.

#3 reread all of my books.. it will keep me busy and focused on the task at hand.

#4 I am going to hit it hard and see what I can accomplish until June 28th.. my first goal will be to be under 190 consistently and not be binging.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CandyR80
Stats: 168/154.5/125---5'2...largest at 184 3/20/12
WOE: Lean 4 Life
Start Date: 3/20/14
Remember, you can do it, you have before. Reading whatever I have about weightloss and healthy lifestyle really helps to keep me focused too. I'm new to journaling, and I'm finding reading this and holding myself accountable is helpful, I'm just on day two and I'm looking forward to this journey, I have never said that about a diet before, so I know I'm on the right path
CandyR80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for the supportive words.. I'm glad you are embracing this woe.. it IS wonderful. Good luck!
easwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Day 1

1 Atkinss shake and 2 c. Coffee w/cream
3 inches pepperoni
3 oz rare roast beef w/ may or horseradish mix and 5 spears of asparagus
1 sf pickled egg

If i have a sweet tooth i will pull a frozen skake out and blend it smooth.

I got some stevia to try. I am trying to do it the way that worked best for me...and i didnt limit my softdrinks or sweeteners.. I am just trying to find a better choice. I also ate lightly today simply because I still feel full. Ugh!

To the future me.... I am so stuffed that my heartburn has come back, my back aches more than usual, amd nothing fits. It happened so fast..that slippery slope is deep.

Last edited by easwann; 03-21-2014 at 05:51 PM..
Old 03-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Note to self.. watch the shakes before they become a giant ice pop. Not quite the ice cream substitute I was looking for.

Substituting with some canned whipped cream. 1/4 cup w/ cinnamon. YUM!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Day 2 vanilla shake deviled egg w/ tuna and 2 cheese chips
Dinner roast beef w/I used the weekend to purchase and prepare for days to comehorseradish mayo
Snack swiss cheese w/ tsp apricot jelly
Strawberry shake blended w/ ice and a shot of vanilla syrup

Definitely ate a lot, but letting my body tell me what it wants until the appetite suptession kicks in! I am already 72 hours toward ketosis and Iused the weekend to purchase and prepare for days!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Day 3

Breakfast deviled eggs
Lunch 2 cheese chips and a string cheese
Dinner fried cubed chix thighs w/ hot sauce and celery and blue cheese

I've read several times over the years that with each subsequent restart your becomes less and less responsive to it..so I am keeping that thought in as I give this all I have. I have also gone back to the way it worked so well for me.. Before there were Atkins products everywhere or so many ideas everyone has! I've laid in some great fresh meat, a different fresh veggie for each meal, made my oopsie rolls 3 ways ( that way I have different flavors) . I have made deviled eggs 2 ways because they are a perfect snack or meal . the great thing is the tuna salad batch makes enough filling that w/ a few celery sticks you have another meal. I had an amazing drop.. Almost 10 lbs since Friday.. Going to give that 'golden shot' theory a run for its money! I know that soda isn't good for me, but I just don't drink anything unless its flavored...so like I did when I was successful I will lean on crystal light and sodas.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Day 4

Down 1 pound to 197

Breakfast deviled eggs and coffee
lunch 2 cream cheese oopsie rolls
Dinner ribeye w 5 spears asparagus
snack pork rinds w/ cinnamom and hwc. I must weigh this and figure out exactly what a portion is.

I have made a lot of plans and bought a lot of food. I'd feel to guilty if I didn't stick to my plan!

Felt great to lose that lb this morning! I must remember how awesome that feeling is and how sick I was last week to keep me on track!
Old 03-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I have spent the day making Revolution rolls ( I used sour cream in one and cream cheese in another. I made cheese danishes and holy smokes! are these good! My second batch was savory for pizzas..and sandwiches. The third bunch was a sweet/plain w cinnamon to use for french toast. Glad I tried these again.. maybe I'm not as picky as the first time around? Or determined..lol.

*** Danish are 5 star..I am just not sure about the savory...we'll see how they set up. Somehow the eggy taste goes w/ the danish.. but did I mention I'm not sure about the savory??? The French toast will be good I'm sure, but the savory?? Hmmmmm....***

Last edited by easwann; 03-24-2014 at 04:01 PM..
Old 03-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Day 5 up .6 but not worried.. had to bounce after the 10 lbs loss in 3 days!

Savory rolls are great for the burgers! So surprised.. although I did eat it open faced . thinking a double bun might be too much. Thats ok , they'll last longer! Next, pizza oopsies.
Breakfast bpc and cr cheese danish
lunch double burger w/ provalone on a savory Oopsie and 2 deviled eggs

Stomachs queasy, thinking it might be the bpc. I don't get a big rush from it, so I think I'll skip them. NEVER had them the first time around!
Old 03-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Very very hungry!!

Snack cinnamon toast crunch my way
dinner ???
Old 03-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Day 6 Up another .4 lbs but 100% on track so I am not worried.

coffee and cr ch. danishx2
5 guys lettuce wrapped double bacon cheeseburger.. OMG!! Best burger ever!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

1 week!! Small goal, but it's kind of a biggie. Exact induction by '72 rules and down to 196.4 from 208 last friday. Heres to week 2!!!

Breakfast shake
lunch pepperoni and asparagus w/ butter
dinner pizza... 4 oz cheese grated into low frying pan..garlic-onion salt- pepperoni and 1.5 carbs worth of sauce. Surprisingly good for being so simple and Really filling!

March 18th 208
March 27th 196.4
April
Old 03-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CandyR80
Stats: 168/154.5/125---5'2...largest at 184 3/20/12
WOE: Lean 4 Life
Start Date: 3/20/14
Thanks for stopping by my journal
You are doing really good. Congrats on the loss so far...the five guys lettuce wrapped cheeseburger isn't on my list of foods, but I think that might just be a little weekend cheat for me, it sounds so good
CandyR80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wish
Stats: 215/183/145
WOE: Atkins/ketogenic
Start Date: January 18 2014
hey Lizzie, you are doing great!

Last edited by wish; 03-28-2014 at 01:14 PM..
wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Days 8 and 9

breakfast was pork rind french toast
dinner was 1/2 ribeye, shrimp and crabcake and green beans

yesterdays meal was haddock , shrimp, crabcake, green beans and ribeye.
snack was a double fatbomb.

weight at 196.6

Thanks for stopping by Candy and Wish!

The article that is keeping me in line...

When I put out the call for what people wanted to read about on this blog in 2009, numerous folks commented that they would like to know why it seems so much more difficult to successfully follow a low-carb diet the second or third time around. Over the years Iíve noticed this phenomenon in myself and in many others whom I have treated or advised, so itís truly a subject worthy of exploration.

Iím going to list the reasons experience has taught me below, starting with situations over which we have no control and ending with those over which we have total control.

Aging

We all get older every day. Sadly, with aging, all systems deteriorate. Some slower, some faster, but all get a little older and a little less functional every day. If you achieve success on a low-carb diet and find yourself 70 pounds lighter, youíll also find your self five or six months older. If you regain that lost weight, then decide to start another low-carb diet to re-lose it, you will probably be a couple of years older than you were when you tried your first low-carb diet. Just as itís a little more difficult to pick up tennis at age 46 than it is at age 44, itís a little more difficult to get everything moving with a low-carb diet when youíre a couple of years older.

Built-in survival mechanisms

Although most dietary recommendations are fairly simplistic, our bodies are unimaginably complex. Not only do we have a complicated metabolism centered around and directed by the liver, we have multiple neurological and endocrinological feedback pathways between the liver-directed metabolic system and the central nervous system. And we have gut hormones that get into the act sending signals of fullness or lack thereof. It is an intricate system designed to allow us to survive on all kinds of food and to keep us alive as long as possible in the face of famine. I like to think of this entire interconnected system as having its own memory. It will allow you to fool it once or maybe twice, but then it gets wise.

Almost everyone who starts any kind of diet for the first time sees pretty rapid results. Pounds seem to fall off quickly and effortlessly. At a point down the way in the diet, it starts becoming progressively more difficult to lose more weight because the body starts catching on to whatís happening and starts fighting back. This phenomenon seems to occur less with a low-carb diet because if it is a good quality low-carb diet, the body is getting all the nutrition it needs, so it doesnít rebel quite the same as it does with some other nutritionally inadequate diets. But it does rebel a little, nevertheless. And worse, it remembers.

If you lose weight then regain it and restart a low-carb (or any other) diet, the body is not quite so willing to shed the first pounds as quickly as it did the first time. It remembers. If you, like many people Iíve met do, give low-carb a serious, diligent go for about a week, then fall off because of a party, wedding, etc. that you attend, then try again for another week before falling off, you program your body to hang in there for at least a week before letting loose its fat. The body says, ĎWell, here we go again with another week of this nonsense. Letís hold steady on and weíll be back to our regular high-everything diet within a week. Letís not go into starvation mode yet and starting getting rid of our fat.í What you will find after a few turns of this cycle is that although the first time through with low-carb you may have lost six pounds the first week, the forth time through you will lose almost nothing the first week. Then the doubt creeps in. And you begin to wonder if the low-carb diet will really work for you. It will, but youíve got to get past the bodyís diet memory for it to.

Increased insulin and leptin resistance

All the studies arenít in yet on this issue for sure. But, those that are (both animal and human studies) indicate that we become progressively more insulin and leptin resistant as we age. This is especially true for people who have become overweight or obese and have maintained that state. Sadly, it is also true for those who became overweight or obese and lost the excess weight, which is most of us. The more insulin and leptin resistance we are, the more difficult it is to lose weight. So, the increase in this phenomenon just from the years passing between the first go round and the second on a low-carb diet makes it a little more difficult the next time.

Hormonal dysfunction

Women who are wildly successful on a low-carb diet when they are in their 30s or 40s and premenopausal then try again when they are in their menopausal years often find it almost impossible to lose. It requires fiddling with hormone levels by replacing with natural hormones and getting the system back into balance before a lot of weight can be lost. It takes a while to do this. Even if the hormones do get back to where they need to be quickly, it takes some time for the body to respond. Often just getting the hormones balanced results in weight loss spontaneously without dieting. But dieting helps the process along more quickly.

Now we get to the issues that we do have control over. I donít want anyone to be offended by this list or think Iím pointing any fingers because Iím not. But I would guess that Iíve (MD and I as a team) taken care of more overweight people on low-carb diets than anyone alive today. Weíve had thousands and thousands of patients in our clinics and weíve dealt with many others second hand through books, lectures, etc. And weíve had many friends, relatives, friends of friends, associates, etc. whose care we have monitored. In shepherding all these people (not to mention ourselves) on low-carb diets, we have learned a few things. What follows is a summary of what weíve learned. Not about the biochemistry and physiology of low-carb dieting, but about the psychology of low-carb dieting.

Lack of commitment

It has been my experience that people just donít seem to commit as strongly the second, third, etc. time around. The first time, people make a major commitment. They lose weight. They feel better than they have in years. They are excited. Then they either stay continue on their low-carb diet and maintain or they donít. If they donít, the weight comes back. Then a couple of years later when itís time to start again, they just donít have the commitment they did the first time around. And, due to the above reasons, itís a little more difficult the second time around. They never really get into the swing of it like they did the first time, and then the notion that maybe it wonít work starts to gnaw. And then they start doing a Ďhalf-fastí (if you get my drift) low-carb diet, which works okay for maintenance, but not for weight loss. Discouragement sets in, and they bolt from the diet. Iíve seen this cycle in action countless times. Donít fall into it.

People learn how to cheat in their first low-carb go round and remember how when they start again

The first time around on a low-carb diet is exciting. Youíre actually getting to eat all these forbidden foods Ė steak, eggs, real butter Ė that youíve been taught make you fat and are losing weight like crazy. Itís unbelievable. But sooner or later, you get a little weary of steak, eggs and real butter, and you start looking to expand your food choices. If you stay on your carb restriction, you start to figure ways that you can keep carbs low, but eat facsimiles of the high-carb foods you enjoyed before you started your low-carb diet. You make the major discovery that low-carb brownies exist (or at least they call them low-carb brownies) so you give them a try. Then you find out about low-carb waffles, pancakes, bagels, etc. You discover that there is a whole low-carb world of what youíve always thought of as high-carb foods. You are in heaven. You can have your cake and eat it, too, so to speak. But around about this time, the weight loss starts to really taper off and maybe even comes to a halt.

A few years later, youíve regained your lost weight plus some, remember how effortlessly you lost it on a low-carb diet, and decide to do it again. But this time, instead of starting with the steak, eggs and real butter all alone, you stock your low-carb larder with low-carb brownies, bagels, chips, and other junk as well. Strangely, the low-carb diet just doesnít seem to work as well this next time around.

If you want to be successful the next time around on a low-carb diet, youíve got to follow a low-carb diet. And it takes commitment. Youíve got to realize itís going to be a little more difficult than it was the first time, and youíve got to go on an honest-to-God low-carb diet filled with quality low-carb real foods. And youíve got to stick to it. You want to hang in there until you get to what was called in the old medical literature the dynamic weight stage. The dynamic weight stage is when weight is changing rapidly in either an upward or downward direction. Anyone who has gained or lost a lot of weight has experienced this. You can gain rapidly once you get into this phase, but ultimately you stabilize and hit the static weight phase. It works the same going the other way. Once you get your weight loss momentum built up, you seem to lose effortlessly while in this dynamic phase. This is where you want to be. But you have to commit for a few solid weeks to get there. You canít just diddle with it, go on a few days and off, fill up on calorie-dense, low-or-no-carb junk, say youíre doing a low-carb diet, and wonder why you arenít losing. Youíve got to get up into the low-carb saddle and ride.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GO4IT
WOE: Combination Low Carb/Atkins/South Beach
Start Date: Sept 5, 2013
Wow

I just read your tips. Well thought out and thank you!

The part about commitment and the pattern you have seen in people doing this woe. I find I am at the part of discovering different foods that I can eat ( your low carb brownie example for one ) and still be on a low carb diet. Yes my weight loss has slowed down and it is now a challenge for me to lose weight quicker than I am.
Your thoughts have woken me up to my place now in that pattern and recognition is the first step to curtailing it. YAY for me and THANKS to you!

Wishing you much success with hopping on the bandwagon again!
GO4IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO4IT View Post
Wow

I just read your tips. Well thought out and thank you!

The part about commitment and the pattern you have seen in people doing this woe. I find I am at the part of discovering different foods that I can eat ( your low carb brownie example for one ) and still be on a low carb diet. Yes my weight loss has slowed down and it is now a challenge for me to lose weight quicker than I am.
Your thoughts have woken me up to my place now in that pattern and recognition is the first step to curtailing it. YAY for me and THANKS to you!

Wishing you much success with hopping on the bandwagon again!
Day 10
Thank you very much! I must give credit to Dr Eades. It is his article, I just wanted a copy for myself. Yes, I see myself in so many of the points Dr. E made.

Had a hungry day. ALL on plan foods, but just non stop! Such is life.. waiting to see if TOM shows up. Need to keep track and see if I have cravings/gain/losses etc.

OOopsie danish, portabella stuffed mushroom, haddock, piece of dark choc...pepperoni, coffee w/ hwc, cheese chips w/ salsa and sour cream.. UGH!

Well, I wont expect a stellar weight loss tomorrow.. but I made it through without any off plan foods.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:24 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wish
Stats: 215/183/145
WOE: Atkins/ketogenic
Start Date: January 18 2014
I get those days too Lizzie, I just try and eat all on plan foods too. It proves to me I can eat a whole lot of calories but it does keep my carbs low which is SOO important to me because of my insulin resistance and hormonal issues.

One thing that has changed though, I used to be able to binge eat (on carby foods) well over 3000 calories no problem but now it is nearly impossible to go that high. I think 2500 is my top limit.

The tips are great to keep in mind, thanks.
wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:54 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Day 11

Wish, I agree.. keeping my carbs low keeps me in control of food, I too can put away some food if the sugar monster is triggered. Better to keep that beast leashed!

Breakfast 2 Oopsie cr. ch danishes
lunch baked ribs w/ l/c sauce to dip
dinner 2 egg sandwich on savory oopsie.

Feeling good, but hungry. Have to watch for carb creep. I asked if there was breading in the jumbo lump crabcakes and he said no, of course he did! He knew I wouldn't buy them if there were..lol just kidding. BUt better to know what I am eating. Point taken
Old 04-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Day 12 and 13....

March 18th 208
March 27th 196.4
April 2nd 198.6

Ok with the weight bump as I lost 13 the very first week. On track and feeling very good! Going to measure today so I have something else to go by other than the scale. I found a list w/ my measurements on it from who knows when.. hopefully I will be the same or smaller
Old 04-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Day 13

breakfast coffee and shake
lunch string cheese
dinner ham steak w/ bacon roasted asparagus

If I need a sweet I will have a strawberry shake. Drinking a couple glasses of lemon water to balance out the salt in the ham. Oy! I have a corned beef for tomorrow. Better make it a gallon!!
Old 04-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Dr.E's article part 2
This is the second part of the article I posted yesterday.. these 2 articles changed everything for me..hope it helps someone here! Thanks to Dr. E.

Despite the title of this post, it isnít really about why low-carb is harder the second time around per se. Itís more about attitude toward dieting and why diets in general are difficult, sometimes even the first time. What with it being a new year and all, I figured I would go ahead and get things stirred up early with my thoughts on the psychology of dieting.

I canít begin to count the number of people whom I have seen in my office who have fallen off the wagon and who told me that they just couldnít stick with their low-carb diet for any number of reasons.

A typical conversations goes something like this:

MRE: (In this drama, MRE is yours truly, the long suffering physician) So, Mrs. X, I see that you gained a little weight this week. What happened? Is there a problem we need to go over?

Mrs. X: Oh, no, not really. I had to put my mother in the hospital this week, and I just couldnít diet with all that going on.

Other answers could be: My kids all came home from summer camp, and I just couldnít stick to it with all that going on. Or my husband lost his job, and I couldnít low-carb with that going on. Or Iím going through a divorce. Or Ö You get the picture.

These excuses bring to mind an absolutely wonderful book that I highly recommend, The Happiness Hypothesis. It was written by Jonathon Haidt, an associate professor of psychology at the University happiness hypothesis Why low carb is harder the second time around, part IIof Virginia and is filled with interesting perspectives on happiness, what it takes to be happy and even the scientific basis of happiness. The cover of the book has a sort of blurred photo taken from underwater of what appears to be an elephant with a rider on its back, which is central to Dr. Haidtís thesis.

Dr. Haidt describes our minds and bodies (and by bodies he means not just our corporeal bodies but the working mechanisms of our bodies) as being akin to a rider on the back of an elephant. Our conscious, thinking minds he casts in the role of the rider, and the rest of us as the elephant. The rider can control the elephant as long as the elephant wants to be controlled. And if the elephant is okay with being steered and directed, then to all appearances, the rider is in control. But, if the elephant has other ideas, the rider basically just goes along for the ride.

Every time I think of this image, Iím taken back to our youngest kidís dorm room in college where he played a bit of video he had taped from one of those Fox (I think it was Fox) shows from years ago called When Good Pets Go Bad. It was a video of a woman who, along with her three young children, went for a ride on the back of an elephant. The elephant was a part of some sort of performance and had been placidly giving rides to all comers. Once this particular family got aboard, the elephant decided it had put up with enough nonsense and went rogue. It stormed out raising hell and tearing up everything in site with the poor mother and her kids hanging on for their lives. The family ended up unharmed after the rampage, but the elephant had to be destroyed. Our kid loved the video showing all the people running in horror from this irate elephant and would play it in frame by frame mode so that he could see the looks of terror on all the faces of all those trying to flee. MD and I, being the attentive parents that we are, must have watched this video a dozen times as he pointed out all the nuances that he loved so much, so it is firmly etched in my mind.

This rogue elephant scenario is what Dr. Haidt thinks happens to us from time to time. Our rider (the conscious part of us) wants us to do something, but the elephant part of us doesnít want to, and so the rider just hangs on for the ride while the elephant goes wherever it wants to go. We can put this in dieting terms. Our rider decides that the elephant needs to go on a diet. As long as the elephant is up for it, the diet hums along. But if the elephant has other ideas, the rider becomes an ornament. If things are going well, the rider has the appearance of control; if things arenít going well, i.e., we had to put Mom in the hospital, then the elephant takes over. And the rider accepts it. He says, hey, I couldnít control this beast because we had to put Mom in the hospital, and you know how he gets when we have to put Mom in the hospital. He wants to eat, and I, the rider, have to go along with him.

Yale psychologist Paul Bloom presents another way of looking at this situation in an enlightening article in the November 2008 issue of The Atlantic. He puts forward the idea that we all have multiple selves that weíre constantly dealing with, arguing with and trying to fool.

Letís say that weíve dined large late at night and are headed for bed. As we crawl into the sack with belly distended from a carb overindulgence and lie flat, we start getting the olí acid reflux feeling. We sit up, burp, drink some water, rub our chest and grab for the Tums. The self that is suffering says, ĎThatís it, Iím dieting tomorrow. I canít stand feeling like this, not for one more night.í The next morning the self that wakes up is a different person who isnít experiencing reflux, doesnít have a distended belly and is hungry. And, by God, hungry for some waffles, at that. The feel-good morning self may not abide by the rules laid down by the refluxing self the night before.

Bloom relates a story told by the Nobel laureate economist Thomas Schelling about his own multiple selves:

As a boy I saw a movie about Admiral Byrdís Antarctic expedition and was impressed that as a boy he had gone outdoors in shirtsleeves to toughen himself against the cold. I resolved to go to bed at night with one blanket too few. That decision to go to bed minus one blanket was made by a warm boy; another boy awoke cold in the night, too cold to retrieve the blanket Ö and resolving to restore it tomorrow. The next bedtime it was the warm boy again, dreaming of Antarctica, who got to make the decision, and he always did it again.

Then Dr. Bloom goes on to tell his story of his own dual selves:

Late at night, when deciding not to bother setting up the coffee machine for the next morning, I sometimes think of the man who will wake up as a different person, and wonder, What did he ever do for me? When I get up and thereís no coffee ready, I curse the lazy ******* who shirked his duties the night before.

We are all like this. One of our selves makes a promise that another has to keep, or, more likely, try to weasel out of. One of ourselves gets us in a fix that one of our other selves has to get us out of. ĎWhat on earth was I thinking? How did that happen?í our responsible self says when our fun-loving self does something incredibly stupid.

My responsible self says ĎNo golf unless you get this project finished first.í As the day wears on and my golf-addict self realizes that there is still enough light to get in at least 9, and it says ĎHey, Iím almost finished, Iíll do it when I get home.í When I get home, my tired self who wants to grab a glass of Jameson and kick back says, ďGeez, why didnít I just finish this job instead of playing golf? Iím a member of a golf club, for Godís sake; I can play any time, so why today when I had all this hanging over my head?í

And thatís the problem with all these selves. At least all my selves, and, I suspect, most peopleís selves. These selves can outwit one another, and if the selves arenít careful or if there isnít a father-figure, responsible self towering above the others, not much gets done.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

These two authors astutely identify the ways we as humans tend to deal with life. And since the part of life were talking about in this post is diet, these observations apply.

Our rider says diet, our elephant, in the throes of hunger, says screw that, Iím out of here. And the rider goes along for the ride.

Or our one comfortably-fed self gets us into a diet that our other hungry or our stressed-out self wants no part of and so bolts.

If you believe these two psychologists, we are pretty much doomed to stay overweight, insulin resistant, diabetic, etc. because when it comes right down to it, we donít really have any control. What can we do as the rider of a runaway elephant? What can we do if our good self makes the deal but the other self wonít keep it?

If you think these ways of looking at dieting are outlandish, just tell me how many times youíve heard (or even said) these words about a specific food (high in carbs, usually): I just couldnít help it. I couldnít resist. I gave in to the cravings. I couldnít control myself.

Go back through the comments of the last couple of posts and read how many people wrote how they couldnít deal with carb cravings. Probably the most common excuse I heard for dietary indiscretion from my patients was that they just couldnít control their diet when under some stressful situation. The cravings got the better of them.

It sounds reasonable. Psychologists write about elephants and riders and multiple selves fighting with one another because thatís how most people tend to react. But it doesnít have to be that way. We are not that helpless.

Back in the early 1980s a psychiatrist, William Glasser, M.D., wrote a book titled Take Effective Control of Your Life take effective control 1 Why low carb is harder the second time around, part IIthat I read at the time and thought to be one of the more insightful books I had ever read. The paperback version of that same book appeared a couple of years later under the title Control Theory. Both editions are now out of print but pre-owned copies can be had for pennies from Amazon. This is a book well worth reading. And not just for dietary help.

Dr. Glasser has gone on to bigger and better things and has become famous for an an entire school of psychiatric therapy. Iíve read most of his books, and profited from them all, but the one mentioned above is a true gem. I donít understand why it still isnít in print.

The insight that Dr. Glasser had and that I recognized in myself and in my patients as soon as I read his book was that people spend all their time worrying and stressing about control theory Why low carb is harder the second time around, part IIthings they canít control and end up ceding control over the things that they can control completely.

Going back to our example at the start of this post, my patient who put her mother in the hospital didnít have any real control over any part of what was happening. She couldnít control her motherís disease, she couldnít really control much of anything that went on in the hospital. But she worried constantly about these things she couldnít control and abandoned her diet, over which she had total, 100 percent control.

People do this all the time. One of the very few things we have complete control over is what we put in our mouths. Unless someone hogs us down, pries open our jaws and force feeds us, we have total and complete control of our eating. Yet how many times have we heard people say (or have said ourselves), I just couldnít do the diet with all this going on. I lost all control.

Dr. Glasser understands about the rider and the elephant and the multiple warring selves, although he doesnít call them such. And he has a game plan for dealing with them, which puts the control squarely in our hands.

He explains that all behavior has four components. He doesnít explain these in dietary terms, but I will.

1. the physiological component
2. the feeling component
3. the thinking component
4. the doing component

We donít have any control over the first two and only partial control over the third. But we have total control over the fourth, the doing component. Letís look at how this all works with food.

Imagine youíre sitting in your office minding your own business when a co-worker comes in with a box of fresh, hot donuts, sticks the box in your face and says, ĎHave one.í What happens?

First, your physiology kicks in. Your pancreas says, uh oh, here comes some sugar. Better get a little insulin cranked out to get ready for it. You get a spurt of insulin and your blood sugar starts to fall.

Then, as your blood sugar falls, you start to feel hungry. And your stomach starts to churn as it gets ready. This is the feeling component. And you have no control over this. It all happens and it is totally beyond your control.

Then you think about how good a donut would taste. And you imagine it. And you say to yourself, hey, itís only one. What could it hurt? This is the thinking component, and you do have some control over it. But with the physiology and feeling components hard at work, itís difficult not to think about the donuts. Difficult, but not impossible.

And all the above happens in just a few seconds.

Then you grab a donut and eat it. The doing component. You have complete control over this component. You choose to eat the donut. All the other components are ragging on you and you cave. And you say you had no control, but you really did. If someone had told you they were going to shoot you if you ate one of the donuts, you wouldnít have eaten it. All the other three components (at least the first two) would have been acting the same, but you wouldnít touch the donuts. You can control the doing component if you want to. Problem is the other three components gang up on you, trying to disable your will.

But, this can all the dealt with.

Dr. Glasser realized that the physiology to feeling to thinking to doing progression could be reversed. Since you have complete control over only the doing component, youíve got to do something. And once you do, you can foil the progression. Because if you take different action, you can drive the progression the other way.

If you get up from your desk and say, No thanks, then leave your office and go involve yourself with something else all the components start to fall in line. Once you start doing something different, you start thinking about it, then your feelings of hunger go away and soon even your physiology falls into line. Your liver produces glucose to make up for that the little spurt of insulin knocked down, and soon youíre back to normal. And it doesnít take all that long.

So, basically, we can be driven by a progression over which we have no control to abdicate the one thing we do have control over, our actual active doing. Or we can use our ability to do something to reverse control all the components that we donít have direct control over.

Realizing that I had this ability to control the seemingly uncontrollable made a huge difference in my life years ago and continues to do so today. Knowing that I can control virtually any behavior, but especially my dietary behavior, by simply focusing my attention and effort onto a task or other activity has kept me on the straight and narrow multiple times when strong temptation fell in my path.

If the high-carb demon is goading you to go face down, telling you that you have uncontrollable cravings, just force yourself to go do something else. Soon the cravings will be gone. It takes a little practice, but it helps to repeat the mantra: I have 100 percent control over what goes in my mouth.

Take the advice of Dr. Glasser. Start worrying less over those things you canít control and accept that you have no control over them. And take back control of the things you can. If you do so, you will be a much happier person. And a much thinner person.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Day 14!! 2 weeks clean induction!! Finally!!

March 18th 208
March 27th 196.4
April 2nd 198.6
April 3rd 197.6

Had dinner out.. fajitas on a bed of lettuce w/ sour cream and extra guacamole.. we will see how the scales liked it.. but other than that I had 4 deviled tuna eggs for breakfast with my coffee . Time will tell and it was a good test . Still think I was around 20 carbs..
Old 04-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Had 4 deviled eggs at 2 am.. felt hungry, going with my body.

Day 15

coffee w/cream and a shake
baked chicken wings w/ celery and bleu cheese
Cheesecake milkshake to sooth that darned TOM character! LOL

March 18th 208
March 27th 196.4
April 2nd 198.6
April 3rd 197.6
April 4th 196.2

Last edited by easwann; 04-04-2014 at 08:03 PM..
Old 04-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Day 16

Coffee w/ cream
lunch shake and 2 string cheese
Dinner genoa salami and 2 deviled eggs
snack cheesecake milkshake

March 18th 208
March 27th 196.4
April 2nd 198.6
April 3rd 197.6
April 4th 196.2
April 5th 195.2

I was out shopping and was starving!! I popped into the dollar tree and bought a pack of salami and a diet dew. Feel proud of that nsv!! Tomorrow is the big easter party.. funny, I was worried about what I would eat, then I remebered I'll have 6 kids under 7 painting eggs.. I think my lunch is solved!! Burger, hot dog, eggs and cheese. I'll take a shake for a sweet so I can avoid the baked goods table.

So excited for the days to pass so I can get where I am going!!!
Old 04-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Day 17

March 18th 208
March 27th 196.4
April 2nd 198.6
April 3rd 197.6
April 4th 196.2
April 5th 195.2
April 6th 193.8
Old 04-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Day 18! So excited to have made it this far!

March 18th 208
March 27th 196.4
April 2nd 198.6
April 3rd 197.6
April 4th 196.2
April 5th 195.2
April 6th 193.8
April7th 192.2

I haven't been hungry and I take advantage of it when I can. I know people say to eat every 3 hours.. but I can hardly stomach once a day right now.

Breakfast 1 pickled egg
lunch atkins shake
dinner 1 string cheese

Going to keep working my plan.. definitely working now!~!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Day 19

March 18th 208
March 27th 196.4
April 2nd 198.6
April 3rd 197.6
April 4th 196.2
April 5th 195.2
April 6th 193.8
April 7th 192.2
April 8th 191.2

Had a shake for lunch and chinese buffet for dinner. Shrimp w/ wasabi paste, steak w/ butter, 5 asparagus spears and 2 pieces of melon.

I got so full so quick I definitely lost money at the buffet! Felt really good not to cave in and get the ribs and desserts! Feeling strong!!!