LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
DG Seeking Peace with Food and with Life

Yesterday I turned 56. It was a nice birthday! I treated myself to a day of shopping and a makeover, which was fun. Then DH came home with a huge bouquet of beautiful roses and lillies. And he picked out the perfect card. What a day!

If there is one thing I would wish for my next birthday, it would be to make peace with food and my weight. I would like to be thinner but I'm starting to want my health even more. Thankfully I don't have any diagnosed major problems yet. (other than low thyroid which has been fine for 6 years now on Naturethroid) However - at my last checkup my triglycerides were high for the first time ever. And my doctor still is unconcerned about my blood glucose, but my fasting numbers have been in the 90's (and slowing creeping up through the 90's) for a few years. Diabetes runs on my Dad's side of the family. If I'm smart, I will take serious and consistent action now to avoid those pitfalls.

What do do? My weight and dieting history is colorful, as many here can relate. I started with an Atkins inspired weight loss turned anorexia as a teen. (I was an athlete and did NOT need to lose weight!). After that, it was a roller coaster ride in terms of weight.

My most stable weight was between the age of about 25 and about 40 when I didn't intentionally diet much at all. I NEVER ate breakfast, usually "watched what I ate" at lunch, and then ate whatever (and..um...drank a lot of *whatever*) later in the day. My weight fluctuated between about 150 and 160 throughout those years.

At age 40 I got married to Mr. Doggy and my weight started going up. The middle years combined with more cooking and eating caught up with me. My weight ballooned to about 204. At about age 45 I lost it on Atkins. No cheats. Steady weight loss. Straight to goal weight of around 150. Kept it off for well over a year and then....

Ate sweets on a vacation.

And then struggled over the next several years back up to 204.

In 2008 I lost it again on low carb. At first low carb wouldn't work, then I had my thyroid tested. (I wonder if the first round of low carb messed it up??) At any rate, once my thyroid numbers were right, I lost again steadily on low carb -no cheats - to goal at around 150 and stayed there again for another 1.5 years or so and then....

Ate sweets.

And have struggled ever since and regained up to a recent high weight of 189.

I can't seem to go low carb again. I've tried and tried. It's like my brain will not allow my body to go there. I'm not really sure why. I've actually been (quietly) doing Dukan for the last 10 days or so. Lost about 5 pounds but am NOT enjoying the ride - at all.

This all leads me to my consideration of some type of intermittent fasting.

I'm interested in JUDDD. I'm interested in eating window, which I was sort of doing for many years without realizing it. I'm interested in what people are learning and doing about resistant starch.

Anyway, I have an old journal (or 10 LOL) around here somewhere, but I want to start fresh. I'm not committing to any one plan right now. I'm in learn mode. We'll see where it leads.

I want to learn to be kind to myself and eat healthy out of love for my body. Then be at peace wherever that leads.

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2014, 04:19 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Wishing you great success on your journey! Remember this: Less Food = Less You!

I can't go whole hog Atkins with unlimited protein calories.

I have been on the roller coaster for the past couple of years. Finally found what works: Calories kept around 800 or below and carbs 20 or below. Some days I only have around 400 calories. It's working!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Susan and thanks for stopping by with encouragement! I love your avatar pic - you look happy! Yes unlimited calories/food on any plan doesn't seem to work for me any more, unfortunately. Because lord knows I'm a FOODIE!

Weight today 183.2. While I don't want to feel like a SLAVE to the scale, I have learned through experience that I need the daily reality check of stepping on board. In my new focus on PEACE in the journey, I feel happy about the idea of a mini goal of 179 whenever that happens. No rush.

^^^I can't believe I just FELT that, much less said it. I've ALWAYS been in a rush!

Anyway...

I really do believe there are health benefits to fasting. There are so many options how to approach it!! With JUDDD as my ultimate goal, I just know I need to ease into it. So for now, I have decided to focus on a 16:8 form of intermittent fasting. I'm not going to worry too much right now over up day or down day. I will track my food/calories just to have some data for how this goes.

As I say that, I need to find out from the fasters about one thing I'm implementing. Based on my readings about resistant starch (RS) and some suggestions at the Free the Animal (FTA) blog, I'm upping my probiotics including a couple he specifically suggested, and adding a recommended "green foods" powder to some water + RS in the form of potato starch (PS). The easiest way for me to make sure this happens every day is to do it first thing in the morning. The green foods part is 25 calories. I don't believe the PS digests like "regular food" but I still want to make sure this AM strategy doesn't interfere with my goal of fasting until about 11AM or so.

Right now I'm not committing to any particular macros. I've not had success with a VLC (aka Dukan) type approach. It just feels like after the previous Atkins stretches, my body just doesn't feel good with that much meat. I have also experimented with a vegan approach. Mentally / emotionally the food feels much better! AKA starch (i.e. potatoes) = comfort food!

At any rate, it sure would be nice to be able to be a little Zen about my food choices and just focus on whole, real foods for the most part, and what my body seems to be telling me it needs.

I must remember my body NEVER needs Godiva chocolate covered oreos.

(my office mate gave me a packet of those for my birthday and I thought it was a hysterical combination!! )

Anyway...

Today will be relatively low carb mainly because of the leftovers sitting in my fridge that need to be eaten. I'm OK with that!! Good stuff that I like.

Will document later how hunger levels go, etc. waiting until about noon to eat and how the choices sit through the day.

DG
Old 03-21-2014, 05:51 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I forgot to mention I have also added the supplement I can't possibly spell which starts with the letter P. I got the Jarrow brand that people seem to recommend and am taking 150mg (3 caps) which is what several people seem to suggest.

Trying to give myself all the ammo possible to battle hunger and cravings. And find PEACE!!

DG
Old 03-21-2014, 05:55 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Welcome back girl!

You will find the plan you want to follow. You abviously have had tremedous success in the past.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Have you decided to give JUDDD a go?
Don't be afraid of the DDs. JUDDD is so amazing, healing and freeing.
You will learn with JUDDD that hunger simply is not an emergency.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Monica! Thanks for the welcome back! I was reading in your journal yesterday but didn't quite make it to the end. I did see you are planning a vacation though, right???? Can I go too????

Carly, I'm still calling it undecided. (coughcough chicken cough cough!)

I am taking baby steps. I'm happy to report that so long as I go to bed without doing anything stupid, I will have met my goal of a 16:8 type of day today.

I'm curious Carly - do you also wait until later to eat on your up days? Or do you eat breakfast at an early hour?

I've been working all day today on a paper for my social work research class. Ugh! A literature review where I have to incorporate 20 studies. I'm a little overwhelmed to say the least. I'm going to be one happy camper when this semester is over!

Well - I'm going to bed with my Kindle to do a little reading.

DG
Old 03-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
It's a tough decision to start to JUDDD. It sounds so overwhelming in the beginning - I never ever thought I could do it, but reading all these lovely ladies (and some wonderful gents) and how they were navigating it, losing well, and feeling great - it all convinced me. We would love to have you join us!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Carol! JUDDD BUDS totally ROCK!

When I tried JUDDD briefly before, I approached it like so many other dieting episodes of my life - GUNG HO!! Without really making a solid plan and thinking things through. This time, I'm taking things a lot slower. We'll see where it all leads.

I was successful yesterday with my 16:8 aka no disasters between my last post yesterday and actually going to bed! I waited until about 10AM this morning to have my potato starch / green food thingy, and then lunch was at noon. I dont' think (for now) I'm going to commit to a particular food strategy such as low carb, vegan, or whatever. I think excessive restriction works against me. For today, I felt like a burger so that's what I had Dukan style (with FF cheese melted on top and a side of low fat cottage cheese with oat bran). Not because I'm making any promises to Dr. Dukan. () Because I am going to remain free to choose.

The one thing I know I need to work on banishing is C.R.A.P. C.R.A.P. just gets me in trouble. There IS NO one cookie, etc. C.R.A.P. is addictive for me in the same way alcohol and nicotine and even caffeine were/are. So that's really where any restrictive efforts on my part need to be focused. That, and for now the 16:8 thing.

How does this tie in with JUDDD??? Doing 16:8 means I am fasting approximately 50% of my awake time each day. (actually a little more since I rarely sleep 8 hours). Maybe that method of fasting 50% of the time will be enough for weight loss and longer term health. Or maybe the 16:8 format will be my gradual step down(up? LOL!) to JUDDD.

I want to continue reading more about the benefits of IF, etc.

I also might try a little tater hacking. Who knows.

I feel free right now by NOT overly restricting or pressuring myself. Lord knows that didn't work.

I have to find out what works for my body, and more importantly, my mind.

DG
Old 03-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #10

I am just like you, 1 cookie, NO SUCH THING! If I open the box, I eat till they are all gone! I don't have the ability to shut it down. Going into things with a plan is a great way to approach it, especially with FOOD!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

With all the various experimentation (and free style eating, LOL) I have done over the last several years, I still have to say that the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me to take weight off, get to a healthy weight, and stay there for any length of time was low carb. I LOVE the idea of eating lots of fruits and veggies a "healthy whole grains" (probably an LOL) and being a healthy weight.

But it just isn't working.

I haven't been able to stay on any plan such as weight watchers or JUDDD (not low carb) for even a week in recent months.

Sigh.

I'm going to make a serious effort to do Atkins '72 style and try to get this carb craze out of my system. Today I'm going to make up some LC food and get my pantry / fridge in order, and start tomorrow. I just have to do this. I feel like I'm sinking.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #12

Low carb is a great WOE! It is tough , but can be done! There are numerous recipe options out there to help you succeed!!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Start weight 189.0

Thank you for the encouragement Zipp! It sure means a lot. I hope you are well.

Today is Day 1 of LC. It's almost Atkins '72 induction but I just realized the 6 oz of broccoli/cauli mix I already packed to go with my LC meatloaf for lunch is not on the induction list. But I'm still counting it as Day 1!

Actually, Day 1.5. I just go sick of carbs yesterday and around noon shut the carb vacuuming down!

Off to school. Will report back later.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Hi Doggygirl ! Loving your new journal . I like that you are being proactive with your health ! Smart girl .
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Good luck with Atkins 72. I love that plan. So much great food to choose from.
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Shelby'snana and LoCarbGal! Love that you both stopped by with encouraging words! I sure can't do this alone. Following both of your leads trying to be more concerned about my health!!

TwinkiesAreNotHealthyTwinkiesAreNotHealthyTwinki esAreNotHealthy

Today is going well so far. Right about now (3:05PM) is the beginning of the most treacherous part of the day for me staying on plan. So I'm reaching out here to touch the life line and remind myself why I'm doing this.

Then I'm going to go have an Atkins style snack!

Just got great news in my research class. Actually, several pieces of great news today. Got 50 out of 50 on my literature review. Sent the professor a preview of my research design proposal for feedback, and she said "it looks great - no changes needed!." Then....we found out a few minutes ago... NO FINAL EXAM!!! YAY!!! So I am done with all the work for research class this semester!!! R-E-L-I-E-F!!!

Now on to my snack, then human behavior class, than home to watch dancing with the stars!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
Doggy you will get past the first few days of being hungry, seriously I weigh over 300 pounds and all I have had today is a couple deviled eggs(the messes up ones when I was fixing them) and half a pork steak and obviously I didn't get to this size by not having an appetite, that is probably my favorite thing on this plan...sure I still get a craving now and then for something...but I know that grains and sugars unleashed in my body is like a hoard of minions, so I choose not to wreck myself. I love not getting hungry often, and I eat til I'm full and that's it, no desire to snack!! And your doggys will love your new way of eating, what dog doesn't love meat eggs and cheese!

You WILL succeed and you WILL enjoy the process
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Hey DG just saw your journal. How are you? How is LC going?

I was looking around here for some ideals..... still not settled on what to eat.

Maybe it is our age, I am the same age as you and I too worry about my future health. Nothing to serious yet.....but I want to keep it that way as long as possible. Also I'm low thyroid also. Must be our age. LOL

Good luck. I am glad your still here. Have a great week-end
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote