Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: painted_klown
Stats: 312/298/200
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: May 07, 2008 - Re-induced 01-01-14
Holding Myself Publicly Accountable (My Ongoing Journey)

Hello all,

As the thread title suggests, I am creating this thread specifically for holding myself publicly accountable and to sort of document my ongoing journey through weight loss.

I discovered low carb dieting in my 20's and had some great success with it at the time. Since then, I have yo-yo dieted and have only watched my "non dieting" weight go up and up.

I am now 36 years old and think it's really time to do it "right" this time, and stay in it for the long haul.

As you can see, I actually joined this site six(!) years ago, but I am still the same weight.

I feel some of the reason why, is because I have only had "me" to hold myself accountable for my dietary habits. Yes, I am only blaming myself for my weight, I made the decisions to eat what I did.

However, I do think that having something (anything) to help keep me motivated/on track will be of help, for those days that I just want to have pizza and ice cream.

I am tired of losing and gaining weight, and never hitting my goals. I have a son now (he is 3) and I want to live a long and healthy life for him. I also want to have the energy to play with him while he is here with me (I am not with his mother anymore) instead of constantly having to tell him "Daddy is too tired". It's not a good feeling for me to have to say that to him when he is all excited to play with his daddy. I want him to have fond memories of us doing fun stuff together, not memories of daddy being too tired to play.

Sorry to get all "dear diary" here, but this seems like a warm/friendly environment that allows for showing of emotion.

Anyway, this is my first post in this thread, and I hope to continue to update it with pics, stories, and my thoughts as I finally reach my goals.

Thanks for reading.

-Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/204.6/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
I have found that keeping myself accountable makes it that much easier for me, as I really don't want to write down or record crap in my food logs LOL. Good luck to you.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks!

I have been tracking my daily calories for about two months now, but I have a lot of days that my calories go above my daily allotted amount. For those days, I simply stop counting and just eat with induction rules.
painted_klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Sorry for the double post, but I also want to add a pic from today on here for documentary purposes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03-20-14.jpg (27.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gammazach
Stats: 275/198.6/150
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 4/19/2011
my daughter is going through a divorce now and is also getting healthy for her two boys age 3 and 9 months. She has a full plate with 2 young sons to raise. Like she says, she wants to be there for them. She has lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks, but worries over the scales. I tell her to hang in there and don't let the scales upset you. Good things will come along.
gammazach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I certainly understand the worries about the scales. I consider myself a "victim of scale obsession."

I am not sure why, but I will weigh myself every day, and usually multiple times a day!. I like to see how eating and drinking are affecting me, if it makes a difference by doing a slight fast on Saturday and Sunday mornings, weighing before bedtime, then again upon waking, ect.

However, I always consider my first weigh in on Saturday morning as my "official" weight for the week, and that is the one I use to track my progress. I suppose that is the only way I can keep my sanity...so-to-speak.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Hi Dave,

You are at a great place here! Lots of supportive, helpful people. You have great incentive to get healthy....that little boy will keep you busy for years to come. Enjoy every minute with him.

I look forward to following along on your journey. You can do it!!!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Lori, that is exactly why I decided to come back here. There are a lot of friendly and helpful people on here to keep me motivated, and give me suggestions if I need it.

I also hope that I too can help others with their goals and questions. I am excited to be on the right track, and am looking forward to continuing my journey.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
painted...this is a great support place ....journaling is a great too...I use it everyday..I didn't use to weigh each day but I do now and I keep record of it...but I only record on the day that my weight has a lose......I don't let the scales own me....You can do this...

I have single son with a 3 yr old son...he loves him so much...He is in great shape but he has gone thru a lot too...so look up it gets better down the road...You need to be healthy for you and your son....

Summer is my next goal
244 242 240 238 236 234 232 230 228 226 224 222 220 218 216 214 212 :heart 208 206 204 202 200 onederland
Mary Frances Goal...to find that Onederland and never to return...
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the kind and supportive words Ladyinlove56. It's the really warm community here that attracted me to this place to begin with.

I always think that if I had only stuck it out when I discovered LC dieting, I would have been to my goal several years ago.

Oh well, I suppose I can't beat myself up for past dietary habits. It's time to keep the good ones implemented permanently.

I am feeling rather well to day all. Saturday is my "official weigh day" and the one I use to track my progress.

I was super excited (and rather shocked) to see that I cam in at an even 290 lbs today!

I couldn't believe my eyes. I kept weighing myself over and over again, then I finally moved the scale to a different spot on the floor (I always have it in the same location for my "official" weight in) just to make sure something wasn't amiss. Sure enough...290 it is.

Thank you to all who have read and/or commented on this little journal. I am not sure what type of stuff I should put in here, so please be prepared for some random musings. LOL!

-Dave
Old 03-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
I have learned that I write anything in my journal as long as it helps me keep on track...so one day it is funny story, a menu for the day, a new recipe that is great, and just encouraging myself to what is happening to (me) while I am on this journey.
Hope you weekend is great
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:35 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations Dave on the great loss for the week! Enjoy the journey!

I had an off plan meal last night, but as usually happens, I feel thinner this morning....weird. If I stay very low carb today, I think I'll have a loss tomorrow too....the scale moves slowly for me.

Keep up the good work!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Hello all.

Sorry, I haven't been keeping this updated as planned. I have been way off track with calorie counting as of late. Not sure why, but it seems that I have just been hungrier than usual over the past couple weeks.

Anyway, my normal weigh day is Saturday morning, and I was horrified/shocked to see that I was up 6 lbs!

Fortunately, most of this was water weight, as I have been weighing myself every day, and seem to be at 291 lbs. So, it was really only a 1 lb gain. Still though, it doesn't feel good to be headed in the wrong direction.

I really want to get outside and get more active. I honestly feel that will give me the weight loss boost that I am looking for at the moment. I have an office job, and no way to work out at home. So, with this seemingly endless winter, I find it difficult to get in any type of real physical activity.

I did start counting calories again today (vs just eating general low carb), so I am hoping that will get me headed in the right direction once again.

Take care all.

-Dave
Old 04-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Hello everyone.

Well Saturday was my official weight day, and I was hppy to see a loss avain this week.

Currently at 287 lbs. That is another 3 lbs down from my start weight. I also took a couple of short walks on Saturday night. I was shocked at how horribly out of shape I am these days.

However, the weather is starting to get a bit nicer here in Iowa, so I am hoping to get out more, and get active. I am thiking of going on another walk after work tonight. Let's just hope my motivation statys as high as my enthusiam. HAHHAHAHAHA!

Take care all.

-Dave
Old 04-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
Well Saturday was my official weight day, and I was hppy to see a loss avain this week.

Currently at 287 lbs. That is another 3 lbs down from my start weight. I also took a couple of short walks on Saturday night. I was shocked at how horribly out of shape I am these days.

However, the weather is starting to get a bit nicer here in Iowa, so I am hoping to get out more, and get active. I am thiking of going on another walk after work tonight. Let's just hope my motivation statys as high as my enthusiam. HAHHAHAHAHA!

-Dave
Dave, welcome back to taking charge of your life. You are to be commended for your decision to commit to this as a way of life rather than a temporary fix or diet. Your reasons for doing so are sound and admirable. What better thing than to want to be your best for your family. It's great that you've decided to do something about this at your age, rather than waiting until you're older and risking increased health issues and a bigger mountain to climb.

Every day is a new start for you, remember that. Every day is a chance to do something positive in your decision to turn this around.

Congrats on your success so far. Great idea in keeping a journal and tracking your food.

Glad to see that you are realizing the necessity of physical activity to help you along your journey. There are so many positive benefits of becoming and staying active. Those short walks will soon turn into longer ones, and they in turn may lead to other activity choices.

You hold the key to the new, more confident, healthier and happier you. Keep up the good work....Twyla

WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Thanks a lot for the kind words, and words of encouragement. I really am determined to do this right this time. I have tried and failed more times than I can honestly count, but I cannot let my past determine my future.

Thanks again for the encouraging words.

Last edited by painted_klown; 04-07-2014 at 04:35 PM..
Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Hello all.

Well gang, I did my walk last night. Once again, I am seriously shocked/concerned at how out of shape I really am.

It's one of those things I didn't truly realize (how badly out of shape I am) until I tried to push myself a little bit, and find it to be much more difficult than I imagined.

Well, that just means I am going to have to develop some good/consistant habits. Get out there and get myself whipped into shape a bit. Now here's hoping for some nice weather!.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Good for you for getting out there! If you're consistent with your walking, you'll soon see improvement in your fitness.

Keep up the good work!