Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 12:29 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wodkat
Stats: 161/158/132
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: March 1st 2014 (2nd time around)
Wodkat is about to kick some butt

Hell yeah. So here's my journal. I'm a 20 year old girl, and I've always struggled with weight - always. I'm gonna shorten my history as much as I can:

Last time I remember eating confidently and normally was when I was about 16 or 17. I ate what I wanted, no problem. I wasn't thin but I was confident. Somehow that went to hell and I went back to being super insecure about my body like I was 99% of my life. So I started dieting, you know, good old cutting on calories. I started at 68kg back then and in a few months managed to get to around 64kg. That's when I first heard about the ketogenic diets and I did a little research. I didn't understand a whole lot though so I thought I was doing it right but I was doing what I now call an adapted version. Either way it worked lol! I kept on losing and my lowest ever was 58kg. I felt GREAT. But I wasn't eating enough. I got to the point of starvation. That's why I didn't keep it for long. I bounced back to 64kg pretty quickly.

After that comes a year or even more of constantly trying to lose and failing. I developed an eating disorder. Not anorexia, not bulimia, but binge eating. Food became an obsession to me. I've always eaten a LOT, because I took my brother as an example- he eats a lot but never gains any weight, so I thought it was normal to eat a whole package of cookies in one sitting every single day for example.. When I started taking dieting more seriously, it became a whole new level of an obsession, and I started binge eating. Which only made dieting a lot harder.

Fast forward to September 2012. I was now on my 2nd year of college and had put on a lot of weight. I never quit trying to lose weight, I just failed horribly, and yo-yo'ed a lot so in reality I wasn't losing, I was gaining. After a terrible summer, I decided to get real. September 2012 I started at 72 kg, and got serious with Atkins and working out. I worked out a lot, I was really into it for a while, and I got to my lowest weight of 63kg by December 2012. That was cool, even though I wasn't satisfied yet, but then Christmas came along, and New Years, and the dreaded finals season. At my college we get 2 whole months of exams, 2 or 3 times a week. It's pretty insane so all we do is study and that triggers my bad eating a lot. So I kept on gaining! I felt horrible that all my effort from the first semester was going down the drain.

Insert here yet another year of trying to lose and failing.

Now this takes us to December 2013. I got a food journal and decided to go back to doing it the old fashion way. No diet, just eating healthy and exercising. That had worked for me perfectly a few years back so why not? The truth is what leads me to failing is setting unrealistic goals and doing things on a deadline. I'll start losing weight 2 weeks before a big event and if I start failing I give up entirely because what's the point. That's insane, I know!

December 2013 I started at 76kg and was able to get to 73kg. But then I stopped. The truth is, my experience tells me that my metabolism was messed up by all this yo yo dieting, so I've tried everything but I just can't lose weight the regular way. And if I'm too strict with counting calories I get too obsessed with it and start a cycle of starvation and binge eating, and that's terrible.

So now I'm back on Atkins. The truth is I never stuck to it for too long, my longest time was 2 weeks! That's so dumb. I'm really determined to do it the proper way! No giving up after 2 weeks, no giving up after induction - I wanna do this my LIFESTYLE.

I finally read the Atkins book. I LOVED it. I've done so much research on Atkins in the past couple years, and that's paired with taking Biochemistry in college, so the book didn't teach my anything new, but it was such a blessing. The guy has a way with his words. It gave me so much confidence, so much motivation, and it was reading the book that really pushed me into seeing this as a lifestyle, not a diet. This is how I wanna eat forever.

Now, I have an ultimate goal of 60kg. I'm not sure if I'm gonna achieve that , but that's the last time I really loved how I felt and looked , without feeling like I had to starve to stay there. However I am taller now than I was then, so we'll see! But I just know that if I ever see 60kg on the scale (I have a new one but still saved that old one just so I can see 60kg in there haha) I'll probably break down crying of happiness.

So I'm starting induction at 73kg, my first goal is 69kg because that's where I started back in 2011 and I wanna get away from the 70's. My second goal is 65kg because I usually always give up at 66. After that my "final" goal is 63. Because that's the lowest I got last year and my confidence was null but now I know I looked great. if after that I can keep losing and get to 60kg, perfect. If not, I'm gonna work to stay there this time.

So here's the plan:

I'm doing Induction, probably gonna extend it for more than 2 weeks but when I start feeling like it I'll add a few things and a few carbs, and monitor how that impacts my weight loss.

My goal for now is to get to April 12th without breaking ketosis. (I test every other day with ketosticks but I basically can tell if I break it by how I'm eating). That'd be 6 weeks! That's when I turn 21. I'm not gonna be unrealistic, I'm probably gonna have cake and plenty alcohol that day, I plan to go back to ketosis after that.

I'm also gonna be working out a LOT. I like it, it keeps me on track, it helps my weight loss, and I wanna look my best. I have 6 weeks to get as much change as I can. I'm obviously gonna keep going after that!! My next important event is the first week of May which is a big college event/party, so that's a few more weeks for me to hopefully lose more and look even better!

I keep a food journal already but I'm gonna post here my weekly weigh-ins, and a review of the week, so I can keep track of what I should keep up or change! Wish me luck ! When I get to my ultimate goal weight I'll post pictures!
Wodkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Starting stats:
(gonna edit later and add measurements)

Weight: 73kg (161 lbs)
Old 03-10-2014, 03:47 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Week 1

It's been a week in ketosis! I've been doing AWESOME to be honest.

I haven't been working out because I've been sick. But my eating is on point I've been calculating %s so I'm sure to keep my fat intake above 70%, and my calories around 1500. I need to do this because I have a tendency to not eat enough and that just stalls me. I've been doing 4-5 meals a day.

My meals this week mainly consisted of:

Scrambled eggs with mushrooms in the morning.
Mushrooms with asparagus and tuna cooked with olive oil.
Salmon and brocolli or cauliflower.
Pork hamburger patty. (2g carbs / serving)
Random vegetables with tuna.

What I'm most proud of:

At the night of the oscars I was just starting (I started on Saturday) and I had a few friends over and they brought all sorts of foods - including brownies which are my favorite thing in the world. I still don't know how... but I managed to resist the temptation. This is a HUGE step for me. Normally I'd think "I just started yesterday so it doesn't make much of a difference if I start tomorrow instead" but now. I didn't eat any of that crap!

Also this Saturday I had a party and I drank a few vodka shots (I know alcohol isn't allowed on induction but I made a decision to not keep myself from drinking it completely, otherwise I risk giving it all up just so I can drink it). It was the very first tie I managed to drink and stay in ketosis. I ddin't snack, I didn't mix sugary drinks, none of that. It was also a BIG test for me. These two events combined in the same week show me how determined I am this time.

I haven't been craving carbs at ALL. I'm trying new recipes and I'm excited to be eating like this for a long time.

Oh and also, after the Oscars, a lot of brownies were left over in my kitchen for a few days. You have no idea the strength it took to not eat them all in one sitting. I didn't even touch them. I am SO proud!!!

Week 1 Stats

Not gonna post measurements yet but I did take some and I noticed I lost i some areas, specially my stomach. Great news! I love not having to rely only on the scale.

Weight: 71,8

Weight loss: 1,2
Old 03-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Day 10

SO my last weigh-in was on day 8, the beginning of week 1. Yesterday (day 9), I wanted a peek so I stepped on the scale at the end of the day . No way I'd be able to calculate how much water and food I had in me so I didn't even take my clothes off, it was really just a random spur of the moment thing. I then took my clothes off and saw how much they weighed, just for fun, by the difference.

Today, in the morning, before ingesting anything, I went to the scale. I was so scared at first! I had clothes on, but since it was the same clothes as yesterday and I knew how much they weighed, I realized I still weighed the same as day 8 (which was also the same I weighed in days 6 and 7!). So what, no loss? Am I stalling? I hate stalling because it takes so much motivation out of me. And the last two days Ive been back to the gym so they were good!!

BUT THEN A REALIZATION! I was NOT wearing the same clothes as yesterday , I was wearing much heavier ones! (I never weigh-in with clothes on, I was just in a hurry today). So I took em off, and behold!!

Weight: 71,1

A loss!! Yeaaaah! I'm thinking I had some water retention on day 8, but still that brings me to a total weight loss of 2 kg in less then a week and a half not too bad at all! Im so happy Im losing . Im now sure that it's not just water weight. so Im losing. It's the proof I needed, that it works. and I'm doing it right ! Im just gonna keep doing what Im doing since it's obviously working. God I'm so happy

Day 8 I went back to the gym and I also ran. Burned a total of 400 cals, and ate around 1700 with 75% fat.
Day 9 I ran, burned 250, ate around 1600, 70+% fat.
Day 10 here we go
Old 03-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Day 14

Weighed in yesterday ad 70,9. I've been eating a lot and not execising so Im not surprised that Im not losing that much. It's okay though, I've made a promise to myself to hit the gym hard tomorrow!!

However...

Today was hard

I've been having cravings all day :/

Like, I usually have so many cravings during induction I can't even finish 2 weeks without cheating. This time, it didn't happen, it was definitely easier , I had more fun doing it and I'm done with the first 2 weeks tomorrow and Im ready for more!

But today I did have cravings. All day! It was so hard to talk myself into not cheating... it's almost midnight and Im still struggling... instead of going to sleep Im thinking about the chocolate my brother had downstairs... all the things I could eat today and If it'd be worth it.. I actually came here to write this to try and convince myself to stay on track because if I binge today, I wont go to the gym tomorrow, it's gonna take me a few days to get back into ketosis, and it's gonna delay my loss, it's gonna make everything harder!!

So I can't!!!

(aaaargh but all the chocolate , and cookies....) NO no nonononono (lol this is ridiculous)

Ok Im gonna go to sleep in a while and tomorrow Ill hopefully be better.

bye!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 44 down, 104 to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 Goal: Under 50g carbs day
Start Date: March 16th 2014
I hope you don't cheat yourself..That chocolate totally isn't worth it. Keep kicking ass!
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JohnAndHisCat
WOE: General low-carb, bit of a Ketogenic focus
Start Date: February 2014
I'm finding that since I started this diet I don't get many cravings. I get hungry sometimes during the mid-morning at work, but then I just munch on a few almonds and walnuts.

On the weekends I only eat one meal (dinner) and to satiate myself before dinner I have a coffee. Have started getting breve lattes (latte made with half-and-half) and it does a good job of filling me.
JohnAndHisCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/204.6/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
I hope you were strong and didn't give into the chocolate cravings.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote