Old 02-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JudyJo
Stats: 247/239/145
WOE: low carb all the way!
Start Date: January 15, 2014
My journal

Okay....here goes (again!)

My name is Judy, and I began Atkins in my mid 20's. The first time I tried it I lost 13 pounds the first week, lost more over the next few months and then, life happened.

The cravings started, and I went off the diet. But I have always gone back to Atkins because low carb is the only thing that has ever worked for me consistently.

It's just so hard to stay on it. Why? I want to. I need to. But I just can't seem to keep motivated. I am really hoping that this time will work for me--I am so tired of feeling drained and lethargic all the time. 2 days of low carb and I can already feel the effects--my mind clears, I feel slimmer in my midsection--and I begin to have more energy.

We have started a biggest loser competition at work, and that helped for about 4 weeks, but I was still cheating a bit...not staying strictly low carb. Then I got sick and now all my motivation is gone. And 5 pounds have come back.

I need all the help and support I can get.

What I'm considering doing is one week of zero carb and the next week of the CAD. Has anyone tried that? I like the quick weight loss of the zero carb, but I also like the reward meal and feel that would be a good way to short circuit the cravings.

I welcome any feedback. Thanks!
JudyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyJo View Post
Okay....here goes (again!)

My name is Judy, and I began Atkins in my mid 20's. The first time I tried it I lost 13 pounds the first week, lost more over the next few months and then, life happened.

The cravings started, and I went off the diet. But I have always gone back to Atkins because low carb is the only thing that has ever worked for me consistently.

It's just so hard to stay on it. Why? I want to. I need to. But I just can't seem to keep motivated. I am really hoping that this time will work for me--I am so tired of feeling drained and lethargic all the time. 2 days of low carb and I can already feel the effects--my mind clears, I feel slimmer in my midsection--and I begin to have more energy.

We have started a biggest loser competition at work, and that helped for about 4 weeks, but I was still cheating a bit...not staying strictly low carb. Then I got sick and now all my motivation is gone. And 5 pounds have come back.

I need all the help and support I can get.

What I'm considering doing is one week of zero carb and the next week of the CAD. Has anyone tried that? I like the quick weight loss of the zero carb, but I also like the reward meal and feel that would be a good way to short circuit the cravings.

I welcome any feedback. Thanks!
Saturday, March 1---now getting prepared to begin again on Monday. I find I have to mentally prepare beforehand, because if I let my mind go on autopilot, I will eat whatever is in the fridge and then later say...oh no! I wasn't going to do that!.....but then it's too late.

So, I bought bottled water for my desk at work. It's already parked under my desk as a reminder when I first get there in the morning. Today I will also buy canned tuna, fresh celery and an onion to take to work. I love the crunch of celery in my tuna salad!

I also want to make a collage. It helps visually if I can take a picture of myself and cut out a body-type in a fashion magazine. In the collage, I also want to write down goals, short term and long term health and weight. Maybe some pictures of pretty clothes...... any other suggestions?

Today's beginning weight: 241.2

Yes, I just laid it out there. Not happy with it, but that's the reality for now. I have been sick for about a week, just now getting back to health. Last Saturday, I wrote my weight down: 232.6. I had lost 15 pounds on low carb----and now I'm so disgusted and discouraged I could spit!

But I've got to get back on the wagon. And hoping for a little help on this forum, but so far it's been very quiet since I joined. Only new people.

Maybe everybody else is on vacation or hibernating until spring.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BellaRose
Let you know..

Someone reading your post..ME!

Planning ahead is the best way.
Sounds like you planned for work
but what about at home. Got your
meals planned?

Don't think about your gain..
Just think of what your going to lose now.

Remember if you don't lose as fast as you want..
every pound you lose, makes you less than you were.
Plus makes you feel better.
BellaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:37 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandy1
Stats: 165/149.4/140's
WOE: One day at a time
Start Date: February 1st 2014
Hi Judy....I am here, reading your journal, it doesn't help when you get sick to lose weight, but now you are on the mend hopefully the scale will start going in the right direction...I wish I could help with CAD, I don't even know what it is, sorry, I do know low carb works though.
I did low carb through Feb, and now in March I have switched plans to something called judd which is keeping me motivated.....all you can do is keep trying one day at a time....I'll be back to cheer you on, you are not alone in this I promise.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy1 View Post
Hi Judy....I am here, reading your journal, it doesn't help when you get sick to lose weight, but now you are on the mend hopefully the scale will start going in the right direction...I wish I could help with CAD, I don't even know what it is, sorry, I do know low carb works though.
I did low carb through Feb, and now in March I have switched plans to something called judd which is keeping me motivated.....all you can do is keep trying one day at a time....I'll be back to cheer you on, you are not alone in this I promise.
CAD is an abbreviation (Carbohydrate Addict's Diet?). What is judd? I am curious?
Old 03-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Monday, March 3--weighed in at 239.4.

Let the games begin!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Judy, you can do this. Your question on JUDDD, it is a calorie cycling plan. Basically one Up day (in calories) followed by a Down day in calories. Google JUDDD and you can read about it. There is also a forum here for it. YOU CAN DO THIS! Whatever plan you choose.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Good for you Judy....it sounds like you are ready to fight this battle lol....it can be a fun journey though, and being on this board and chatting to everyone makes it fun and also keeps you motivated, reading everyone else's journal I found really inspired me as well.

I am only 3 days into judd but I am enjoying it, one day I eat up to 1681 calories and they call it an up day....the following day I eat up to 500 calories and they call it your down day, (the calories vary depending on weight, height etc) and then you just keep on doing that, one day up and one day down..... its amazing that it is actually working, and the down days are not hard to do when you figure out what you can eat to get the most out of your calories...there is a forum on judd in the index section....I think we just all have to find what suits our body and low carb was making me feel a bit blah, but I think whatever works is what we should go with as we are all different.
Anyway I will be back to check on you again, good luck, you can do this....you know you can.....

Last edited by Sandy1; 03-03-2014 at 11:06 AM..
Sandy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
OH JUDDD you count calories ONLY. Eat what you want as long as it is within your total allowance each day!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Monica...I think we were typing at the same time lol
Old 03-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Down Day #1.
I plan to fast until 1:30 pm and not eat after 7:30 pm. (following the JUDDD plan). I read something about not weighing every day, but I plan to keep checking the scales as an incentive.

My weight this morning: 237.4

1/16/14-------247.4
Today: --------237.4
Goal: ---------145
Old 03-05-2014, 02:05 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Judy, just wondering how you are getting on as your last post was your down day, I think it will take a bit of getting used to, anyway let me know how its going.....I am here to cheer you on whether its low carb or JUDD.....have a great day...don't give up woman.....
Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, Sandy! That means a lot!
The first down day was ......okay...... I planned to fast until 1:30, but got a little light headed around 12:30 while sitting at my desk. I reached for a small piece of candy because I sure didn't want to pass out! lol

But it went away after a few seconds, so I spit out the candy and was able to eat my lunch about 2:00 (tuna salad with crunchy celery and some onion and pickle--it's a favorite low carb lunch as well) I calculated about 220 calories. I read more testimonials from people who have lost weight using the JUDDD system and who love this way of eating. I think I'm going to like it, too.

I finished eating for the day about 6:00 with a plain baked potato. It was good, if a little blah.

I went to bed early--that felt pretty good.

So, woo hoo! today is an up day! Yes!

But best of all----the scales said I lost weight! 234.8! (almost 3 pounds)

247/234.8/145
Old 03-05-2014, 04:17 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

1/16/14..................247.4
3/4/14....................237.4
3/5/14....................234.8
Old 03-05-2014, 04:39 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Oh my gosh that is amazing that you are doing so well, well done, if I could be bothered to get up lol I would do a happy dance for you.....and you got through a down day brilliant, it made me laugh when you said you spit the candy out lol, that was funny.....my second down day was yesterday and for some reason I had a really hard time with it, in the end I had to go out for a two hour walk, I don't know what was going on with me but I was so hungry.....anyway yhea for me to as today is my up day, I was starved this morning.....anyway that was really great to read it is working for you....keep it up you are doing amazing....
Old 03-06-2014, 04:36 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

My first UP day....so nice to eat normally without really thinking about it! I do need to try to eat healthier in general, though. I'm writing that on my to-do list. But still, not as hungry on my UP day as I expected I would be.

I bought a can of soup for my DD today. 2 servings at 90 calories each. Am I supposed to be fasting longer? Is 12 hour fasting okay? I don't plan to eat anything this morning --I'll be working so I won't notice anyway---and I plan to eat lunch/break-fast at 12:00. That will be a total of 15 1/2 hours of fasting.

The weight gain was disappointing this morning. I'm used to losing a little every day on LC. I guess that's why they advise against weighing every day.

1/16/14..............247.4
3/4/14................237.4
3/5/14...............234.8
3/6/14...............236.2

Can't "weight" for tomorrow's weigh in! (2nd DD results)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Judy it still sounds like you are doing well, your soup sounds good and only 90 calories that is brilliant.....everyone says different things about the fasting time, some people have to eat first thing and some people try not to eat until lunchtime, and some people can go till late afternoon or dinner time.....I have read that it is best to leave it as late as possible as as soon as you eat then the hunger starts kicking in for the rest of the day, I have only done three down days so far so am not to knowledgeable so that's just from what I have read.....I try to go till about 11 or 12 am before I start eating as I have found what others have said is true as soon as I start eating I start getting hungrier.
I have been doing some research on this gene that gets slowed down the longer you fast, its called the IGF 1 gene, apparently the longer you fast for example 16 hours the slower this gene works....which is a good thing, it said it slows down the blood cells from splitting which happens every few months, so there is more time to repair and rebuild.....its all I can kind of remember really but it sounded really interesting learning the science behind it all....it seems a lot of research has been done....mainly on mice who seem to live longer when they are put on intermittent fasting....interesting stuff....
Old 03-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wish
Stats: 215/183/145
WOE: Atkins/ketogenic
Start Date: January 18 2014
Hi Judy,

I am following a very low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet. I did the Atkins induction for the first three weeks and after that I started doing my own thing. I am almost finished 7 weeks. The weight loss is up and down but the trend is down which is great, I know it is going to take some time and although I am not the most patient person, I just know I can make it through.
Personally, I couldn't do the Juddd thing because of my blood sugar issues. I am not diabetic but I have insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. I have to make sure I eat equal portions of healthy food all day long or I get into trouble and flare up hunger and cravings that are sure to derail me. So if you have those issues, Juddd may not work for you, just pay close attention to how your body does on it.
What do I do to keep myself 100% compliant? I am focused on the health aspect of this more than the "fitting in a size whatever" I DO NOT want to have serious health complications in the next few years, I am taking heed to the warning signs and doing something now before it is too late. I also tell myself that the off plan food is poison for my body. I am not that far in yet but I have been 100% compliant and that is really amazing for me, I hope it continues. good luck
Oh and I also wanted to say that there are so many LC substitutions for things that you can buy or make yourself so that you don't have to feel super deprived. Eating extra fat is also helping as I have always been a low/fat free eater and that is no way to live IMO
I also have found that cheat meals and cheat days are bad for me, they set off hunger and cravings and make it very hard to get back on the plan. I don't actually need them anymore as I am fitting desserts and things like pizza and burgers into my week anyways, they are just LC versions but yummy nevertheless!

Last edited by wish; 03-06-2014 at 10:16 AM..
wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Wish--I have always gone back to LC before--in the past, it has been the only way of eating that works for me as far as weight loss is concerned. But the cravings are what get me derailed.....

I do worry about whether JUDDD will work for me. But I like the idea of intermittent fasting and the longevity/health benefits from that. So I am going to give it a good shot. Tomorrow will be an UP day, but I am seriously considering having 2 DD in a row just for good measure. (already trying to "tweak" the system, lol)
Old 03-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

By the way, I am still reading journals here.....can you point me to some really good "losers" so I can compare what methods are being successful for those in this forum?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:00 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I don't feel very well on the JUDDD diet. My stomach was burning in the afternoon, but I've never had a problem with that while eating low carb. But the calories on a low calorie day made my stomach hurt. Not sure if I can do this or if I should switch back to low carb.

3/7/14...............236.4
Old 03-07-2014, 04:03 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Judy, I was struggling yesterday on my down day, nearly ate the box my dinner came in lol....so today I am winging it with my meat, salad and fruit for a few days until I figure out another plan of action lol....I didn't realize judd was so hard, I loved the science behind it all but it made me a bit obsessive with food etc....anyway whatever you chose I will still be here....hope your day is a good one.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:13 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

3/8/14...............238.6

Okay, I'm officially regrouping. Not ready to give up on weight loss, but I need to actually BE losing....
Old 03-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Keep at it Judy, you will get there, I went back to calorie counting and so far its working, we all have to do what is going to get us there and also keep us happy, I think you will have a whoosh tomorrow...fingers crossed....hope your weekend is a good one.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:52 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

3/9/14...............240.0

Monday is a fresh start for me. If I can just get through this weekend. I HAVE to keep myself motivated.

Did I mention that we are having a "biggest loser" competition at work? And I was doing so well until I got sick that week. I was ahead of the pack! But my real motivation is spring and summer events coming up......I want to wear something pretty and not just something "comfortable". Of course, if pretty is also comfortable, that would be the best of both worlds!

But the competition at work ends with the last weigh in on April 2. I know where I need to be.....I'm pretty sure that low carb is going to get there. I can do this. I can try harder. And I will.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:46 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

3/10/14.............241.0

I'm trying to get my motivation back. I just have to keep telling myself...it's only one day...I can get through just one day.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

So, first day of my diet. And of course, there's a snacky treat day at work...everyone brings cupcakes and brownies, and cake and ice cream in the afternoon. Half of the office is dieting and half is not--and it's like a war camp with all the sabotaging going on!

But other than my cup of hot tea in the morning, I never set foot in the kitchen/break room! Yes--and I wasn't even tempted. Not that I couldn't be, but I have to be strong this time. Final weigh in is 3 weeks away.

I had 2 pieces of sausage for breakfast, one large chicken breast for lunch and I snacked on provolone on the way home. I don't feel hungry, but the time change has made me sleepy all day long. When I got home, I hit the couch! Snoozed for a good hour. Fortunately, my kids are old enough to feed themselves(18 and 21).

Now I'm up! Ready to study and clean house. Oh, and I'm such a chronic weigher...I weighed a few minutes ago and tomorrow is looking good!

I do intend to go back to my original post. The first 3 weeks I will be on induction (pretty much below 20 carbs per day) and then I intend to go one week on low carb, and one week with CAD.

Last edited by JudyJo; 03-10-2014 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: last thought
Old 03-11-2014, 04:50 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

3/10/14.............241.0
3/11/14.............236.6

What a difference a day makes!...........24 little hours........
Old 03-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Well done Judy....you are losing or should I say winning lol.......now I can't get that song out of my head lol
Old 03-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/204.6/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
Way to go. You have to find out what works for you. This week at work I have been mega tempted. We have drug reps and customers bring us food all the time, this week we had bagels, donuts and tortilla chips with homemade salsa (it's the best ever). Was I tempted, yes but not as badly as I used to be, I decided that I am going to kick this weight once and forall. I am down 10.2# my first week because I stuck to the plan. Find what works for you and stick with it. You can do this!
Short Goal: By 4/4 214.6# 10# in 30 days (Met 3/19 @211.6#)
6 Month Goal: 164# by 37th Bday (9/25)
End Goal: 149 by Dec 31st!
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote