Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Journals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/)
-   -   wish it comes true, my story (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/821831-wish-comes-true-my-story.html)

wish 01-29-2014 09:32 AM

wish it comes true, my story

hi everyone!

I am a stay at home mom with a 6 year old girl and 2 year old boy, I have been trying to lose weight and get healthy for most of my adult life. This is going to be a little long, I will try and not go into too much detail.

When I was 25 I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and PCOS. I started taking synthroid as the doctor told me there was nothing I could do about it. As for the PCOS, the diagnosis was based on my symptoms, I wasn't ready to accept it as there was little information at the time and it was based only on symptoms, I thought that maybe the doctor was wrong. This was almost 15 years ago and there was very little information out there, in fact the internet offered almost no information, my doctors advice was to lose weight but she didn't have any more guidance. I was told I need to eat less and exersize more. And so my unhealthy eating began. I wrote down everything I ate and I was crazy about counting calories, I also exersized a lot, too much. I didn't really think about what I was eating, just that I needed to keep my calories low, I ate things like low cal frozen meals. I lost weight but then quickly put the weight back on with interest. My symptoms got worse, I had acne, dark hairs growing in weird places, my periods seldom came (a concern for us since we wanted to start a family). I continued to count calories and exersize but it wasn't working, I found that I would have cycles of starvation and binging. I pretty much resigned myself to being fat and unhealthy for ever.

At the age of 32 I was around 180lbs. At a fertility clinic the ultrasound reveiled I had classic polycystic ovaries, the diagnosis became a reality for me. I was told that my follicles were not maturing and there was no chance I would conceive at that time, I did anyways, it was a miracle. I gave birth to a perfect baby girl. I gained a lot of weight during that pregnancy, I think I was up to 230lbs but with breastfeeding, counting calories and exersize I went down to 182lb. I was stuck there and just couldn't go lower.

When my daughter was 2 years old we were going through a major move to another country, the stress took me out of eating properly and even caring anymore and my weight went up to almost 200lbs. It took many months to get sorted out and settle, I didn't even see my husband for a few months. We continued to try for another baby but my cycles were very irregular, I had blood sugar issues, I felt like I was getting worse. I was told I had insulin resistance and that is why my calorie counting wasn't working but the doctors didn't give me any more information on what to do about it. I went to a fertility clinic and started treatment, I started with metformin for six months but I didn't get pregnant, then they put me on metformin and clomid, I got pregnant on the first cycle, it was another miracle! I gave birth to a healthy baby boy at the age of 36. I had gestational diabetes with this pregnancy, another indication of how sick I was and I vowed that after the pregnancy I would do something about it, injecting myself with insulin and taking blood sugar readings was not something I wanted to be doing in the future. I learned a lot more as there was more information available.

I tried to low carb a couple of months after my baby was born and I exersized and breastfed. I felt incredibly sick if I tried to cut calories and lower carbs, I had hypoglycemia. Even with all of my willpower, I just couldn't do it. I kept on trying but I was stuck at 215lbs for months. My son wiened himself at 1 year of age, I started the Zone diet and took PGX pills. I felt sick on the ZOne, I felt so hungry my stomach just hurt, I can't explain it. I knew I was suffering from low blood sugar. I tried Southbeach, it was better but I had really bad hypoglycemia on the 8 day of phase 1. I tried to use the low carb principles I learned, I think I lost 15lbs after working very hard. I then tried the fast metabolism diet, I really hated that diet and lost a couple of pounds on that one, after being on it for two months. I juice fasted for 3 days at a time 3 times (not in a row). I was down to 187lbs. I tried carb cycling too but that just made me crazy. So during the last third of 2012 and the whole of 2013 I have been dieting like crazy. I ran regularly by the way, I could do a 10km under 1 hour no problem, I even ran while pushing my toddler. I also did some weight training. I learned to love vegetables and ate more vegetables than ever in my life. I tried to not count calories but to make calories count. I did learn a lot from all of this.

So over Christmas 2013 I gained 10lbs, I was visiting family and had little control of the food around me. I put weight on easily and quickly so that is what happened, I was up to 198lbs. Another thing happened over Christmas (well sometime before Christmas), I became pregnant naturally. We were overjoyed but I had a miscarriage at the start of January 2014, I was around 7 weeks. After the miscarriage I vowed I would figure this weight and eating thing out. I came across a lot of information on ketogenic eating and then Atkins. I always feared Atkins because I thought it was extreme and eating lots of fats couldn't be good, but I didn't know much about it. I have been watching long lectures by medical professionals on you tube, an incredible resource!

I think what I may have done wrong last year was I was low carbing but still eating too many carbs for what my body can tolerate, I never counted carbs and ate very low fat, lean cuts of meat, egg whites and fat free everything. My diet must have been extremely low in fat but high in carbs from veggies, some fruit and "healthy whole grains".

I started Atkins induction on January 18th on a Saturday, you know you are serious about a diet when you start on a Saturday! My doctor lectured me about how bad a diet it was, he scared me with diabetic ketoacidosis, he said I would get bad breath and constipated. He told me that ketosis is an unnatural state for the body. I wanted to say so much in response but I felt so taken aback and I was so surprised that I didn't say anything. After doing a lot of research, it seems to me that my doctor knows very little about this. His advise was eat less calories and exersize more. You can imagine my frustration! He completely discounted my PCOS, insulin resistance and hypothyroidism.

I am going to continue on this diet and conduct my own experiment, I am going to overcome my fat phobia and eat high fat food. So far I feel my blood sugar issues are gone and I am no longer craving or hungry! I didn't even have anything sweet for the first week, no artificial sweeteners or natural non calorie sweeteners. I am proud of that. I am writing everything down. I am going to find out for myself, I hope you can be my support. Thank you for reading my long story.

DesertGurl 01-29-2014 11:44 AM

:welcome:

Wow, you've been through the ringer alil' bit with your health, haven't you? Good for you for never giving up and always getting up to try again. :high5: Congrat's on your 2 beautiful babies, I'm sure they're the light of your life!!

IMO I think sometimes we have to take our health into our own hands and see what we can make happen. I have had such disappointment with the medical community when it comes to weight loss and the issues that some of us tend to experience as to the why the weight isn't coming off like it should. Why can't they understand that there is no cookie cutter way of losing weight, especially when we face things like PCOS, insulin resistance, etc! So frustrating for sure. You've educated yourself with research and success stories of why this type of program works, you're way ahead of the game. Best of luck on your journey, I know you can do it! :up:

wish 01-29-2014 12:14 PM

thank you so much for your encouragement. We all have to take our health into our own hands and do the research and make our own choices, don't just listen to what a doctor says. I have felt so empowered by just doing the reading and listening to doctors that have done the research and have worked with patients with problems such as the ones I have, they have more to say than the doctor at the clinic I go to.

I will have to check your journal out when I get a chance! thank you

wish 01-30-2014 08:55 AM

just two days away from my first two weeks on Atkins induction!!

I am so excited because I am almost done induction, I will be beginning my 3 weeks on Saturday. It is going better than I had thought it would. I am experiencing no cravings or hunger, I enjoy the foods I eat. I haven't had a hypoglycemic episode!! I am losing weight!! I can see doing this long term. I will probably stay between 20-30grams of carbs, I don't find the 20 grams a challenge but I think I might want to add a little serving of blueberries or some nuts, looking forward to it. How did your Atkins induction go?

I will sign in again about my two week results on Saturday. bye!

handbells 01-30-2014 10:49 AM

Welcome!

Good luck on your journey. As you experiment, you *will* find what works for you!

wish 01-30-2014 11:10 AM

thank you, I am starting to think that now. I hope I am not wrong and the success keeps coming!

wish 01-31-2014 09:00 AM

starting day 14 of induction today! I am going to make every effort today and push a little harder, do more exercise , drink more water and take in a little less carbs. So far this week has been good, the loss has been really small but I believe that I am retaining a bit more water now, which is a good thing because I was a bit dehydrated and a little bunged up at the end of week 1. I am going to average out the loss over the two weeks and not get discouraged over it. I am happy about what I have achieved so far!

wish 02-01-2014 09:12 AM

2 weeks of induction DONE!!

I am so happy!!

This is only the beginning but the first two weeks are always difficult and I am so proud of myself I stuck with it.

I started at 197.8lbs and this morning I weighed in at 190.4lbs!! 7.4 lbs gone! I lost one inch in my waist and one inch in my bust. I am 5' 4" and 37 years old.

negative observations~

*slightly bunged up even though I take fiber supplements and drink extra water and no caffeine
*my mouth feels and tastes awful
*very light headache in the evenings (not really a big deal)
*my husband keeps giving me looks when he sees me putting butter on things and cheese on things, the worst was when I brought pork rinds home (I am not a huge fan but I bought it in case of emergency)...I eat chicken with the skin on in private, I take my tbsp. of coconut oil in private too

positive observations~

*weight loss, measured smaller
*significant decrease in hunger and cravings
*I am enjoying the food A LOT, creamy rich satisfying FOOD
*I didn't feel lethargic like on other diets
*no induction flu
*I could eat the allowed food while at a restaurant and not feel totally deprived

I am not sure I believe that I will continue losing weight while eating this way and I worry that I will grow tired of eating this way and give in to carby food. At the moment I am not interested in carby food at all and I feel so much better.

As a side note, I have checked my morning and 2hour after a meal glucose level and both have been normal. I am not diabetic but I am insulin resistant and I wanted to see if I was in the normal range.

I am loving my hand written journal, I love flipping through the crinkly pages of success!

best of luck to you if you are on this or are thinking about starting

wish 02-01-2014 01:09 PM

other accomplishments during my first two weeks

just wanted to add some other accomplishments over my first two weeks~

*during week 1 I resisted sugar substitutes completely
*during week 2 I had a sprinkle of sugar substitutes here and there but not daily
*I never even had one bite or lick of anything not allowed on the diet, even declining a taste of dessert during dinner at a restaurant
*I did some moderate exercise daily, usually taking a brisk 40min. walk on my treadmill on a 5 incline
*I drank water faithfully, even drinking a bit more than the recommended amount
*I documented my food intake and took before pictures and measurements
*I purchased Atkins bars "just in case" but I have not found need to eat any, I am leaving them for when I MUST have something
*I stayed around 20 grams of carbs, most from veggies, ate a moderate/adequate amount of protein and I overcame my fat phobia and had ate a good quantity of fat (much more than I am used to)
*I took my multivitamin, omega 3 and fiber every day

I think that is all!

DesertGurl 02-01-2014 01:33 PM

Fantastic observations! :up:

I think we get so hung up on just the numbers that we forget about all the other great things going on from day to day. Good for you for staying aware!
I love doing this, it certainly helps to keep my motivation and my attitude going the right way!

KUTGW! :high5:

wish 02-01-2014 03:15 PM

thanks!, yes it really helps to focus on things that are going on that are not just weight loss, especially when weight loss stalls, I hope that doesn't happen for a while!

all the best to you and thanks for the support!

wish 02-03-2014 09:15 AM

Happy MONDAY!

Day 17 on Atkins today. I am up 1lb. today. Don't worry, I am not overthinking it too much, I was actually wondering if I would be up several lbs because I felt like I had majorly indulged this weekend. I was being legal just eating a lot of fat and some xylitol. I understand that the scale goes up sometimes and that it isn't a big deal.

I made coconut bark on Saturday and Sunday and although it was only 2 carbs per day I felt like it was a major indulgence! I also made pancakes (legal ingredients) for myself on both mornings and I ate a little extra whip cream as some went on my pancakes and some in my coffee. I was taking in some xylitol, as I used that to sweeten the bark and sprinkled it on my pancakes in place of a syrup. I also went to a restaurant yesterday and made the best choices possible but I think I was still eating 15-20 carbs in that one meal.

So today I am back to eating what I was eating during last week and I am not going to have coconut bark until the needle comes down, it would be an interesting experiment to see if that brings the weight up or not. It is such a great snack and fills me, so I hope weight loss is not affected by it. It is a such a treat!

I wanted to share my pancake recipe because it was super good and tasted a lot like real whole wheat pancakes.
2 tbsp. almond flour (3 carbs)
2 tbsp. flax meal (1 carb)
1 tbsp. coconut butter
2 tbsp. whip cream
dash of baking soda
dash of salt
almond extract/vanilla extract
2 eggs
add in as much water as needed to get the right consistency, maybe it is possible to skip the whipping cream and just use water, I may try this next time
-makes 4 small pancakes

I had this idea I would try making a flat bread or tortilla type thing with this recipe and wrap tuna or chicken salad in it. I am going to give it a try for lunch today.

bye!

wish 02-03-2014 12:07 PM

oops! regarding my pancake recipe, I used coconut flour instead of almond flour!

For lunch today I made crepes to wrap my chicken salad in, they were exactly what I wanted!!

2tbsp coconut flour
2tbsp coconut butter (melted)
2tbsp flax meal
2 eggs
sprinkle of salt
enough water to get the right crepe batter consistency about 2 tbsp.
~I put all of the ingredients into a glass and blend with a handle blender, divide batter in half to make two crepes. I just pour the batter on a hot buttered pan. About 3 grams of carbs for the two.

wish 02-04-2014 12:57 PM

Day 18!

hi! Is anyone actually reading any of this? Ah, no matter I will continue to write my thoughts down anyways.

I am down a little today, so actually still at the same two week loss of 7.4lbs. I am still a little backed up, if you know what I mean. I feel like I will lose another 2lbs if I only get regular again. I have been trying to drink more water and I am eating 2tbsp of flax meal a day and I am still having issues. I have never had issues in this dept. before, will have to try something else. I have not tried magnesium yet.

Today was my first day running in a long long while, since November I think. I put the kids in the rec daycare and went for a run on the track. I felt out of shape but it felt really good to do it again. I am going to make an effort to go at least twice a week till it gets warm outside and I can start running outdoors again.

We ran out of eggs this morning so I made a vegan protein shake with half of an avocado and water, it was really gross, I just chugged it down. I felt pretty full and did my run. I had one turkey pepperoni stick while I was preparing my late lunch. I made two tuna salad wraps (using two of those flax meal/coconut crepes). Normally I would eat some greens with this but I was just too full, maybe I will have them later as a snack.

I am planning on making pad thai for dinner, with chicken, shrimp, scallops and some veggies.:yummy:

I hope I see the 180's soon!!!

verbqueen 02-04-2014 01:13 PM

I am reading and I think you are doing a wonderful, life-changing thing for yourself. Just keep soldiering on, through the ups and downs.

There is something that is known around this website as "P.I.S.S.", or post-induction stall syndrome. It happens to nearly everyone. You lose that initial chunk of induction weight, and then it stops for a little while. Suddenly, the losing starts again. This may be happening to you right now. DON'T STOP. So many people give up when the stall happens, and never experience the magic!

If it lasts so long that it begins to bother you, a few days of lowering calories and eating a very high percentage of fat (often called the "fat fast" can get things moving again. But I wouldn't do that unless it had been a long time, like weeks and weeks, with no losses.

Go you!

Oh--one last thing. When you are in the middle of the post-induction stall, you will often see an interesting thing happen. You will see your body composition change before your eyes, with more muscle and less body fat appearing, and your clothes will continue to get looser. What's happening is that you're still burning fat, but your fat cells have grabbed some water to replace the fat you've lost, causing the scale to stay the same. One day, the body will give up on holding that water, and you'll "whoosh" off some pounds, and the scale will finally catch up to what you already see in the mirror!

GailyGail 02-04-2014 01:35 PM

Wish, you are doing really well! I think your crepe recipe sounds terrific. I am going to have to try it. I agree with Jessica's and Dani's comments -- you are really showing great commitment so no wonder why your results have been fabulous!

wish 02-04-2014 01:40 PM

verbqueen~ THANK YOU SO MUCH!! your words are incredibly reassuring. Many times on other diets I have not lost and given up because the hard work was too much to not see any pay off. This time I am not going to give up! I will hang in there! I am enjoying the food and not being a slave to it anymore, I haven't had ANY blood sugar issues which is a bIG deal for me (and a first). There is something working here that I have never experienced before.

wish 02-04-2014 01:42 PM

thanks Gailygail!

wish 02-05-2014 09:25 AM

hi everyone

day 19!! 190.4lbs

So something interesting happened yesterday. I ate lunch at 1:30pm, it was two tuna salad flaxseed wraps, I was full. The afternoon got really busy and I didn't even think about food. By the time dinner was ready it was 7:30pm, which is very late for us. Anyways, I have never gone (at least for many years) without eating for so many hours and the amazing thing was that I wasn't shaking and hungry and having hypoglycemic symptoms. It felt amazing to not feel like that.

I made a really delicious dinner, it was coconut curry chicken and shrimp on veggies. My carb count was kind of high because of dinner, around 30 grams for the day. Strangely, after eating a good sized portion of dinner I felt a little hungry after and needed to take some coconut oil and water (which took care of it).

My worry today came from thinking I may need to start counting calories. I already (roughly) count my protein and ofcourse my carbs. The idea of counting calories and restricting them is just incredibly frustrating, I don't want to do that. It is maybe too soon right now, I will see what the weight loss is at the end of week 3 or week 4 and then maybe start doing that. I heard many times from experts in the field of low carb/high fat eating that your hunger should be your guide and to NOT count calories. Also to not eat too much protein. I am taking that advice for now and just listening to my body. Did you find you needed to count calories on top of everything else to lose weight?

I guess I feel as though I can't possibly lose the weight eating this way. I am satisfied and full. Sure I am not eating all of those yummy carby foods anymore but I guess I don't really need them. Now I am thinking I need to be suffering and cutting calories to lose the weight. I should just stop thinking too much.

Wishing you a good day!

verbqueen 02-05-2014 10:16 AM

You're still doing great, I see! I didn't count calories, or anything but carbs, until I hit a wall--an old setpoint that always hangs me up. I ultimately had to switch to another plan to break through that wall, but that's another story for another day. Just keep doing what you're doing and stay the course.

wish 02-05-2014 11:35 AM

thanks verbqueen! need to keep hearing that! I hope that I don't hit a wall until I am at least half way to goal or else that will be rather disappointing!!

DesertGurl 02-05-2014 12:31 PM

You are doing fabulous, no doubt about it! :up:

I know it's hard to wrap your mind around the fact that you're "not suffering" while losing weight. One of the many beauties of low carb eating!! It took me a long time to get used to that when I first started that lifestyle...but also the main reason why I kept up with it in some form regardless of what "plan" I'm following..feels amazing to feel satisfied and know that you're also doing great things for your body.

Keeping positive thoughts as a constant source of motivation will get you where you want to go. You're really gonna do this thing! :high5:

wish 02-05-2014 12:49 PM

thanks DesertGurl!

shelby'snana 02-05-2014 01:37 PM

reading along ...... you are doing really well. Don't stop !! I count carbs, not calories at all . I hate to count calories ;/

wish 02-05-2014 01:42 PM

thank you Shelby'snana!

cfine 02-05-2014 03:57 PM

Hey Wish. You are doing great! If you decide to start tracking calories along with carbs, it's so easy with an online tracker. I can't sand not to track now because its so easy!

wish 02-05-2014 03:59 PM

will do cfine and thanks! love that snout! lol

wish 02-06-2014 11:53 AM

HI! hope you are having a wonderful day!

day 20! 190.0 lbs (180's are just around the corner, 2 days of week 3 remaining, hope I see it)

So I just realized last night that I am not really doing true Atkins induction anymore. I am still trying to stay close to 20 grams of carbs but somedays I am below and on two days this week I was closer to 30. I followed it to the T for the first two weeks and now I am kind of doing my own plan, I can tell you what I have added this week:

-I have had chocolate coconut bark several times this week, I'm not eating a lot, it is made with 99% dark chocolate (no sugar, no carbs) coconut butter, almond extract, a few almond slivers, 1/6tsp of xylitol, salt, non sweetened shredded coconut

-I have been making wraps and pancakes using flaxseed meal, eggs, coconut butter and coconut flour (at most 2 tbsp. a day) I eat this once a day to get my bready fix and also to work flaxseed into my day

-I have a very tiny amount of nuts but it is usually in my coconut bark in shredded form

-I am starting to watch my protein intake more closely, I have read that the body turns excess protein into glucose and if it doesn't get used it gets stored as fat!

Because I am trying to decrease my protein intake a little, I am trying to increase my fat and see if it makes a difference in how I feel and in weight loss. It is an experiment on myself, the proportions of fat/protein/carbs are individual to the person. I am aiming for 60-80grams of protein (I am naturally a muscular body type). I know that I have been eating way over 100grams. This morning I tried to decrease my protein and increase my fat, I had two flaxmeal pancakes with 1tbsp almond butter, I had 120ml of coconut milk and half an avocado. So my protein was at around 11grams.

In other news, yesterday I took it easy and didn't have a workout. I was very sore from my sprint/run/walk from the day before, so it was just housework and shopping for me. Today I decided I would go back to the gym and just walk the track or do a light run because I am still sore. It turns out that I pushed myself and had a really great workout. I would run 1.5 laps then stop to work out an upper body muscle group for a few minutes, then walk a lap and repeat for 40min. IT FELT AMAZING, however I probably won't feel amazing tomorrow lol. I am looking forward to my next gym session.

I think that is all I wanted to say, I hope you feel motivated today and are moving in the right direction! I will be back tomorrow!

wish 02-07-2014 09:11 AM

Good day!

day 21! 189.8 lbs today YAY!

I am so happy to see the 180's. I hope it sticks.

Today is my last day of week 3 of low carb (around 20 grams a day). I am so proud of myself for not cheating even once, not using any low carb products, just a little xylitol as the only sweetener here and there.

I can see myself staying on course and not cheating provided I keep losing and don't get too discouraged.

I knew going into week 3 that I wouldn't lose much this week, I can feel my body retaining back some water, which is a good thing as I felt dehydrated last week and had issues with BM's. Things are working better by the way.

I am excited about trying a new recipe tonight for dinner. Cauliflower, mozzarella cheese crust pizza, sounds a little strange but worth the try. I am looking forward to finding a new low carb pizza recipe I can live with.

I will let you all know how the pizza turned out, bye for now!

mattmich6 02-07-2014 10:19 AM

Hello! What a journey you have been on! I just started a journal as well! Hope we can be each other support. I also have young children. My son is 8 and daughter is 5. I am trying to do Atkins as much as possible. I had a slip up yesterday when my daughter was sick and ate lots of carbs(pasta)! But today is a new day:-)

Melissa