Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wish
Stats: 215/183/145
WOE: Atkins/ketogenic
Start Date: January 18 2014
cfine~ I didn't know about Carolyn, will have to check her out, thx!
wish is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Day 39!! 188.8lbs HAPPY TUESDAY

Feeling sore today but I feel good knowing I am reshaping my body.

Having a house cleaning day, touching up some walls with paint too. My kids are really hard on the walls and it is time to fill and touch up the paint, there is a lot to do but I need to get it done before spring. There is a lot of organising, cleaning, fixing and culling to be done inside the house, once spring comes it is time to work on the outside. I am an avid gardener so I start to focus on the garden quite a bit once spring comes. I have a veggie garden with a greenhouse and a perrenial garden, it is so much fun for me, very time consuming as well.

I have pork ribs in the oven, with homemade lc bbq sauce. I am going to eat those with green beans for lunch. I think I am going to make curry coconut chicken and shrimp on cauliflower "rice" for dinner. Probably have a (homemade) small lc peice of cake for an afternoon snack, it seems to fill me and satisfy my sweet tooth. Life is good!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

I have been reading Dr. Peter Attia's blog lately, his blog is so imformative and I just read this and wanted to share, it really validates what I have been feeling for so many years. I have PCOS and hypothyroidism and I have tried eating less and excersing more for more than 15 years, it just does not work. I just know many people have looked at me and thought I do nothing to take care of my body, that I must be eating fast food/junk food all the time and that I must be lazy. I wish that the word would get out that for many obese people it isn't about gluttony and sloth, their body is not working properly. The sad truth is they get little to no help, the doctors I have talked to over the years have not given me any useful information. My current doctor does not support nutritional ketosis, he told me to eat less and exercise more.

thanks to people like Dr. Attia, I have new found hope~

Dr. Attia, " I’m always troubled by folks who have never tried to take care of someone who is struggling to lose weight (fat), and who themselves have never been overweight, but who insist obesity is ‘simply’ an energy balance problem – people eat too many calories. When eternally lean people preach about the virtues of their ‘obvious’ solutions to obesity – just eat less and exercise more – I’m reminded of a quote (source unknown to me), “He was born on the finish line, so he thinks he won the race.” You only need to meet one woman with PCOS, or one person with hypothyroidism, or one child with Cushing’s disease to know that adiposity can – and is – largely regulated by hormones. The fact that such patients need to create a positive energy balance (i.e., eat more calories than they expend) to allow it does not seem to provide a meaningful insight into the mechanism of why."

Last edited by wish; 02-25-2014 at 12:40 PM..
Old 02-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #94
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Fantastic quote. Sadly, it reminds me a little of some of the people here on LCF, who are losing easily on the early stages of Atkins and offer "advice" to people (ok, ok, me....) in a longterm stall.

Ya know, helpful things like "Just eat fewer carbs and you will lose," or "Don't cheat." Arrrrghhhh. When will we learn that all bodies are different, and finding just the right formula for each one is a huge challenge! In other words, NO JUDGING!!
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

vb~ it can be SOO hard!! Those "thin" people often times have no clue what obese people go through, or former obese went through. I guess everyone has their problems in one form or another! The diet takes a lot of tweaking, we are all so individual...and yes it is hard to not be judgmental sometimes...Dr. Attia confesses in a Ted Talk that he was judgmental of obese patients, he talks of one obese diabetic lady that he had to perform an amputation on, he was angry with her for putting herself in that position. It wasn't until years later that he realized it wasn't so simple for people, to take themselves out of that position, there is a lot going on and the system has failed people. There is so much missleading information and conflicting information. And ofcourse it makes it nearly impossible when the system is set up to follow the government food guide, so that nearly every doctor and dietition sing the same song. There is no one diet that fits all so how can we all be expected to follow the same diet and get the same results? Dr. Attia apologises and gets choked up on camera about it, something a lot of people are too afraid to do. Sorry about my rambling! I appreciate your expert opinion, help and support!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Day 40! 188.8lbs

Well despite still being sore all over from Monday's strollersize class, I got my butt over there again today. And again, once my muscles warmed up, I was able to give it much more than I thought I had! It was 45 minutes of non stop circuit training, weights, running and 15 minutes of ab work. Feeling great!

I took my "10 lbs gone" photo's, there is a little difference in them for sure. I am sure that the next 10 will be much more noticable and I think I will be more of a believer too. As I have said before, it is really hard for me to believe in this, like I will succeed. I have failed so many times, I have stalled so many times. The one difference this time is I can see myself living this way long term, I am not wishing this was over and that I can go back to the way it was before. I guess that comes from being able to eat good food and not restricting too much, well I don't think it is too much anyways. Turns out there are a lot of great substitutions out there, it just takes some planning. Well here is hoping and praying I am able to sail forward, if I break 186 it will be for the first time in 5 years. If I break 182 it will be the first time in 8 years. That is why I am having a hard time picturing myself there, it has been just too many years.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I watched Dr. Attica on that Ted Talk. It was so good and you could tell he was genuinely sorry for being judgmental. I wish more people would realize that it's not our fault. It's so many different things that cause obesity. I'm so happy to have finally found the solution. I wish more people would educate themselves about health and nutrition from someone other than the lying government.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

cfine~ it took me too long to find this way of eating. I was scared of ketosis diets and didn't even dare look into them. I was doing low carb all last year but it really wasn't low carb enough, it was super low carb to the average Joe but it didn't make enough of a difference for my body. I wish I had found this forum years ago, I have learned so much here and as I do more online research. I have always been interested in nutrition and health, it seems there is always something new to learn. I have found so much new information this year, I was really surprised that I missed it.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Day 41! 187lbs

No exercise for me today, too sore.

Going to visit family tomorrow and I will be off of forums till Monday. I hope I can make it through food wise while visiting. I have a couple of strategies, I want to remain completely legal the whole time, I hope I can do it.

wish me luck!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:41 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Larissima
Stats: Waist: 110/100/75cm, 5'10"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 21 Jan 2014
You're doing great!

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I've been diagnosed with PCOS at 19, so I've been living with it for 24 years.

Hope you have a lovely time with your family, and best of luck with your eating!
Larissima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:34 AM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Have fun with your family!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

thanks friends!

Day 42! 188.8lbs (what is up with that? Am I going for a gain this week? sheesh tomorrow morning is my one week weigh in however I won't have my scale so I will be weighing in on Tuesday morning instead)

So my plan starting Tuesday is to pay more close attention to my macro's and actually start counting those. I am not going to count the calories, just going to stick with the right proportions of fats, proteins and carbs (whatever they are). I think it is going to take some tweaking but as of now I am really all over the place with my protein and fat. I have no idea how many grams of fat I consume as I have never counted before, it should be interesting. I would like to count the macro's so that I will know what I need to change should I have no weight loss. It annoys me to have to count anything but then makes me feel more in control and all scientific and stuff at the same time. There are so many different macro recommendations out there but I am going to start out with 30g carbs/90g protein/91g fat, does that sound good to you? The fat is a little low from what I have seen others do.

enjoy your weekend!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Day 45! weight unknown (weighing myself tomorrow morning)

back from my family visit today and I made it through with flying colors! No tastes or bites of anything off plan, skipped birthday cake and even pizza! Ya it was a little awkward having two hard boiled eggs with turkey slices and some veg while everyone chowed down on pizza and it was a little wierd to skip out on birthday cake for the first time in my life but I DID IT!! AND it wasn't all that hard either, not sure why. I didn't feel hungry either! (probably why it wasn't all that bad) I probably ate way too many nuts but that is what I snacked on. My mom was awesome and made LC versions of some things for me so that I could eat almost the same thing as everyone else. It was a little tricky with the other family members I visited but not that bad, I just raided their fridge and made myself somethings.

I won't be able to do a full week 6 summary as I couldn't weigh myself on Saturday morning, the scale I had was off from what my scale says at home. I am just going to go with a no loss for the week as Friday morning was a bit of a gain. The start of week 7 is messed up as well as I didn't weigh myself for three days. It is ok, it is going to be all messed up from TOM as well which I started today.

Last edited by wish; 03-03-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Old 03-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

WEEK 6 DONE!!!

started at 197.8lbs on January 18 2014
Week 1 loss (Atkins induction) 5.6
Week 2 loss (Atkins induction) 1.8
Week 3 gain (no longer true induction, 20-30 grams of carbs a day) gain 1.2
Week 4 no loss (20-30 grams of carbs a day)
Week 5 loss (20-40 grams of carbs, 27.3 grams week average) 4.4
Week 6 gain (20-45 grams of carbs) gain 1.6
total loss 6 weeks = 9 lbs

measurements~
bust starting 43.5" today 41.5" (same as last week)
waist starting 37" today 34.5" (same as last week)
upper thigh starting 26.25" today 26" (same as last week)

my accomplishments and observations this week~

-family members who I have not seen in a couple of months noticed my weight loss
-while visiting family for three days, I stuck with the plan, skipped cake, pizza and alcohol...I am proud of myself
-hunger and cravings still mostly under control
-used xylitol, stevia and Truvia as only sweetener, sparingly
-was active on most days
-no cheats, bites or licks of anything off plan
-did not feel food was controlling me
-felt in control most of the time
-wrote everything down in my hand written journal
-feeling a bit stronger when I go to strollersize

improvements to make~

-I have decided I am going to try and track macro's this coming week, it is more of a pain than watching the calories and carbs
-try and watch the protein intake so as to not go too high
-try to not overindulge on "legal" treats

WEEK 6 SUMMARY~
Sat. 187.2lbs. carbs-25.4 activity-40 min. skating
Sun. 188.8lbs. carbs-19 activity- housework
Mon. 187.8 lbs. carbs-23.4 activity -strollersize 1 hour
Tues. 188.8 lbs. carbs-45.7 activity -housework
Wed. 188.8 lbs. carbs-35.7 activity-strollersize 1 hour
Thurs. 187lbs. carbs-30.8 activity-housework
Fri. 188.8 lbs. carbs-35.7 activity-housework
Saturday morning- 188.8 lbs. (1.6 gain)
average carbs for the week ~30.8 grams

Last edited by wish; 03-04-2014 at 11:24 AM..
Old 03-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Day 46!! 188.8 lbs.

Feeling gross today, crampy and bloated from TOM. I hope that there is a big whoosh of water weight in a few days to explain why I am up from last week. I have been so good so I am really expecting this.

As I have said, I have decided to track my macro's this week starting today. It is a royal pain but I figure I need to do this to check where I am at with the protein and fat.

I just know I need to hang in there and not get discouraged but I am feeling down from TOM and can't help it. I need to focus on the positive right now, I have been totally faithful for 6+ weeks, plus passed the test while visiting and traveling for three days and other people are noticing my weight loss. I have also been great about the exercise. Well, I will see how I do by the end of this week and if I need to tighten things up I will, maybe even try one of those fat fasts.

Back to feeling sorry for myself and such
Old 03-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Day 47! 187.2 lbs (thats better, could we get a 186 PALEESE?)

Feeling a bit better today, was going to go to strollersize but my son has the sniffles so I decided to stay in. It is super cold here today and I don't feel 100% human yet so I am going to take it easy. I did do some cleaning this morning and have heaps of laundry to work on as well, I will work on it slowly.

Tracking macro's is a little tricky and more work! I found a formula for a goal weight of 150lbs on the nutritional ketosis side. It gave me very generous macro's (30g carbs/220g fat/102g protein) and the calorie count is pretty high, 2300. I stuck with it yesterday and found it to be a lot of food. I did have a super hungry day because of TOM and could have ate more than that if I allowed myself to. Now that I have embraced this woe I am not going to allow myself anything my heart desires just to "make myself feel better". If I want chocolate, it has to be the LC kind, if I want cake it has to be the LC kind etc. AND there is a limit ofcourse. Unfortunatly there is no good substitution for chips, I love chips and french fries...I never ate them often just once in a while, like once every two-three weeks. I haven't touched them in over 6 weeks and I can't say I never think about them.

Hmmm, not sure what I am going to do for my macro's today. I will see if I can eat less than the above fat and protein allowance but if I am too hungry today I will just have to eat as much as yesterday. It is really an experiment at this point, I have no idea what works for me yet. If I had steady weight loss then I would just stick with it but right now it is confusing me and I am doubtful I am doing things correctly. I will keep on tracking and feeling my way through this.

Enjoy your Wednesday!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:38 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

You're doing great, and especially well done on resisting carbs throughout your family visit!

About chips, a lot of people replace it with pork rinds (or scratchings, as they're known here in the UK). The packaged version is LC, but I'm sure the seasoning is full of additives, making it a special occasion snack rather than 3x day!

French fries is difficult to sub, but if you like thicker-cut ones I've tried roasted swede fries (rutabaga) in goose fat - it was not exactly the same, but it did hit the spot.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

thanks Larissima!

I haven't heard of the roasted swede fries but those sound like a great idea! I will have to look into that.

As for the pork rinds, I have mixed feelings about them. I can't find any without msg and the ones I get aren't exactly what I am after in flavor but I will keep on looking!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Day 48!! 187.2 lb

Tomorrow is the last day of week 7, I would really like at least a glimpse of 186, please, please, please!

I am planning on going for a hard workout tomorrow which will mean muscle soreness, which will probably mean a gain come weigh in Saturday morning, we will see.

Anyways, I had a good eating day yesterday. I did 28g carbs, 104g fats and 106g protein for 1618 calories. I felt pretty good on that so we will see if I can continue doing that. It is really troublesome to be counting everything especially in more complex meals, not sure how long I can keep it up. I figure the most important part is to track carbs, proteins and calories and eat enough fat to feel satiated. Calorie tracking as last in importance. I think it might be ok to feel a tad hungry at the end of the day, not so hungry you can't fall asleep but just a little so you know your body will access the body fat.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love reading about your progress. You are doing so good. Keep it up!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

thanks for the support cfine! It is nice to see others are reading and maybe even enjoying my posts. I need the encouragement!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

just wanted to vent a little...

Spoke with the my parents on the phone and they aren't convinced I am going the healthy route with my diet. They are happy I am doing something and that I am enthusiastic but they keep urging me to not be in ketosis and eat at least 50grams of carbs. I sat down with my mother when I visited her last and showed her my food journal to show her I was indeed eating a lot of veggies. I think she wants to see me eat fruit as well. I have been telling them that I do intend on raising my carbs as I go and see progress, maybe even eventually eating over 50grams. Currently I am trying to find my carb threshold and also the right amount of my other macro's. I know it is normal for parents to worry but seriously, it is just too much sometimes to have to think about this on top of what to do to get healthy and lose weight. I always error on the side of caution and try and go with what my gut tells me. We are always getting advice on the right way one day only to be told to do the opposite the next, it is hard to REALLY believe in anything these days. I have this bit of doubt in me even if something makes sense and feels right. I am trying to read everything I can so that I can be as knowlegable as possible and I try to share some of the information with my parents so that they can understand too. They have a weight problem as well and I hope to prove I am right with my weight loss and good health. My brother is obese as well. I hope that I don't end up messing this all up, or urging them to follow this and making them sick. I wish I had the right answers.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #113
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: threedrunkduck
You've done a great job, im proud of you for never giving up. I've been through similar ups and downs...
threedrunkduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:33 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

LOL, if your parents want you to eat fruit, send them some links to Robert Lustig's videos and books. He maintains that fructose is evil, and the way it is metabolised in the body (through the liver, unlike other sugars) is very damaging.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

LOL this is so typical of parents isn't it? And being that I have been one myself for over 6 years, I totally understand this.

I did have fruit this week actually, 1/4 cup blueberries, they were good and I felt fine eating them. I can see myself fitting some berries in daily.

I do have a bit of a phobia in regards to raising my carb level to 50 grams, I guess I believe it will take me out of fat burning.

OK so my question is this, "if one is not in ketosis but burns fat and loses weight is this not as good as being in ketosis and burning fat?" I guess the question is what is the advantage of being in ketosis over not being in ketosis in terms of weight loss? Is it the speed of weight loss? I am not losing weight super fast so would that mean I would lose weight even slower if I were to raise my carbs (decrease my other macro's)and get out of ketosis? I understand that protein levels play a role in all of this too. I think that the Atkins book says that weight loss is slower when carbs are increased. What do you think about this?

Another one of my concerns is becoming totally carb intolerant from eating super low carb levels for a long time. I know I will always need to be low carb but am I teaching my body to become more carb intolerant?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Day 49!! 185.8 lbs

I just came back from a super hard one hour workout and my brain isn't really functioning very well but I am just thrilled about seeing 185.8 on the scale and wanted to share! I know it is likely it will go up by tomorrow morning from but I just know that I will see it again next week and even less soon.

Yesterday was a good eating day, 139g fat/103g protein/23g carbs and 1926 calories. I went out to do a big shopping trip with the kids, I usually get them some fast food so I brought along my flaxbuns for myself and tossed the burger buns and had myself a hamburger. I had an Atkins bar late in the afternoon while I was out as well and at the store I found a zero calorie cola made with "natural" ingredients, it tasted pretty good and was a good treat with my burger. Also my first cola in over 2 months.

Today is fun food friday at my house which usually means pizza. I LOVE my low carb pizza with the almond flour cheese crust! There is no room for deprivation

enjoy your weekend!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

thanks threedrunkduck! I just saw your message
Old 03-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yay for 185!!!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Day 50!!! 186.6lbs

feels like a milestone to hit half of 100 days on this!!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/204.6/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
You are doing awesome! Keep up the good work.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote