LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wish
Stats: 215/183/145
WOE: Atkins/ketogenic
Start Date: January 18 2014
Day 31! 187.6 lbs. what the?

I measured my waist again this morning and it is still 34.5" which I am incredibly happy about, that to me means more than numbers on the scale. I have been trying to get it under 35" for over 8 years, will I see 33"'s soon?

Yesterdays menu was so yummy that I am going to make the exact same thing today:

B-2 coconut flour crepes with chocolate almond cream cheese
coffee with cream
L-garlic butter shrimps and scallops on French green beans and mushrooms
S-1 egg with mayo/mustard, 2 slices roast beef with mustard
D-corned beef with cauliflower mash and cheese on top, baked

Still a little sore today and I am going to take it easy, going back to the gym tomorrow. bye!
wish is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Just looking in on you! Your menu looks so delicious! Keep on keeping on, and congrats on that waist measurement.
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

thanks vb
Old 02-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Day 32! 188.4 lbs.

Yesterday I felt particularly fatigued, I had a nap in the afternoon which is rare for me, felt sleepy all day. I did go skating outside for 30 min. I also noticed I was more hungry yesterday and ate just under 2000 calories and 36.6 grams of carbs, this is a little high for me but overall not a bad day, I still stayed on plan and didn't eat anything that wasn't on plan.

I went to strollersize today, it just about killed me again. We did circuit training/HIT, it was SO HARD, there were times where I felt I was going to toss my low carb breakfast. I still felt fatigued this morning from my class last Thursday, I decided to go anyways and do as much as I could, turns out I had a lot in me once I got started.

I am going to attempt to make a pad thai type dish for lunch today, low carb. I have some konjac noodles and I am going to cook up some chicken, shrimp and scallops. I will probably add zucchini, cilantro and mushrooms. The trick will be to get the sauce right. I am sure this dish will be a little high in carbs but this week I am aiming to be under 40 grams so that if I feel like it I can make something with a little more carbs.

There is a book that I am interested in reading, it is called, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance". It looks like it has a lot of information on nutritional ketosis and they go into a lot of the science behind it. I am trying to get as much information as possible so that I can get my parents to try this, they are both overweight and have tried almost every diet out there. I have been very enthusiastic about it, I hope that when they see me at the end of February they will see a big difference and be convinced to try it.

Anywho, better go, I have a lot to do today!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

ok so I made an absolutely amazing low carb "pad Thai", I was able to get the taste I was after. I will be making this for lunch tomorrow as well!

(carbs totaled at about 19.1 grams and about 590 calories, you can save 6.4 grams if you omit the scallops and peanut butter)

sauté in garlic and butter~
5 (regular size) scallops
10 (regular size) shrimps
2oz. chicken
100grams (chopped into large chunks) zucchini
3 (chopped into large chunks) mushrooms
half pkg. konjac noodles

make the sauce~
2 tbsp. white distilled vinegar (no sugar)
2 tbsp. xyla ketchup
1 tbsp. braggs (or tamari, or soy sauce)
1 tbsp. sriracha sauce
1 tbsp. lemon/lime
2 tsp truvia (or sweetener of choice)

add the sauce into the pan with the other ingredients, reduce. Plate, then put on top 1/4 cup or as much as you like fresh chopped cilantro, 1 tbsp. almond slivers and 2 tbsp. peanut butter (or crushed peanuts)

enjoy!

Last edited by wish; 02-18-2014 at 12:31 PM..
Old 02-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Now that looks absolutely fantastic! I could omit a few things and actually make that work for my rogue hcg protocol! Yum!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

It is so awesome tasting! I had to make it for lunch again today. I am now out of konjac noodles and will need to go make a special trip for them at the asian market. The nice thing about them is that they last for a long long time so I usually buy several packages.

I was dreaming about having lunch all morning
Old 02-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Day 33! 189.6 lbs

Taking a break from exercise today, I have some work that needs to be done in my storage room, I hate organizing it, I am such a procrastinator. I hope I will finish it by spring, I promised myself it will be done by then. Also, I need to start some of my seeds soon and need to make room in there.

I found three cookbooks at the library, all on keto eating. I am looking forward to trying some recipe's. I often like to concoct something on my own but I really should be checking out the recipe's that are out there. I would like to make my own turkey patties (for breakfast) so that I can stop buying that processed turkey bacon. I need to get organized and make a few of them in one day for the week. We often have eggs, turkey bacon and avocado for breakfast.

In other news, I have been feeling a little hungry here and there. I think it may be from starting more vigorous exercise, I am eating more calories but always staying under 2000. I remember that about a week ago I would make coconut chocolate bark and it was really satiating plus it is so tasty, I stopped making it because I was frustrated with the scale not moving. I made it again today, this is kind of an experiment. I am not sure if it will make me stall or not. Sometimes I wonder if I am eating enough fat on this diet and then I wonder if I am eating too much.

Last edited by wish; 02-19-2014 at 12:08 PM..
Old 02-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #69
Blabbermouth!!!

Lots of folks find that adding fat can budge a stall. Especially if you take the protein down a little at the same time. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

thx, it is very counterintuitive and the scale never really gives you any clues as to what is *really* going on. Sometimes you think you need to eat less and cut back on things when it isn't moving but that might not be the case at all and may hurt the progress, it is so tricky! I figure if I listen to my hunger cues and fill it with some fat because I have counted the amount of protein and carbs then I *should* be ok! I just need to trust the process and give it time, we all just want to get fit and lean overnight right?
Old 02-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Tell me about it. It is SO HARD to be patient.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattmich6
Stats: 222/211/150
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Wish that Scallop Shrimp dish sounds delish! I must try that. I think I'm eating too many carbs. I do around 40 but I'll try and cut it to 20 and see if the weight comes off.

Your measurements are awesome!!!! Way to go! And your hubby notices that is worth more than anything:-)

melissa
mattmich6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #73
Blabbermouth!!!

Waving hello!

Hope you have a great Thursday!
Old 02-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Hello there! my Thursday is going great I hope yours is behaving!

Thanks Melissa! I am keeping my carbs between 20-30 grams sometimes I go over but I always stay under 40 grams...almost 5 weeks! yea!

Day 34! 188.6lbs

I went to strollersize class today, the 1 hour killer workout for new or newish moms (what?) Yea, I always thought strollersize was a gentle fitness class not one to nearly put me to tears and put me in a world of pain for a few days. And yet I want to come back for more, I guess I am a glutton for punishment when it comes to exercise!

I am having a non so successful cook day. I wanted bbq pulled pork wrapped in a bready type thing, so I made myself LC bbq sauce, it was ok, maybe it was over salted, I think it will come out better next time. I also tried a LC tortilla recipe that tasted too eggie and made me think I was eating a bbq pulled pork omelet. I tried to make it all up with a cupcake. NO not a sugary one, this LC version is soooooooooooooo good that it will be a regular treat. It tastes EXACTLY like cake to me and I am sure you could get creative and make a great LC frosting for it, butter or cream cheese would work. OK I will share it~

in a large cup melt 1 tsp coconut oil (make sure it isn't too hot or it will cook the egg), add 1 egg, add 1 tbsp. sour cream, whisk together, set aside

mix in a bowl~

1/4 cup almond flour
1 tbsp. coconut flour
1 tbsp. flax meal
sugar substitute (I think I used 1 tbsp. of xylitol)
1 tsp baking powder
sprinkle of salt
1 tbsp. cocoa powder

mix dry ingredients with wet and microwave for 90 sec.

enjoy!
Old 02-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

by the way, I figured the carb and calories for the cupcake:
approx. 5 carbs
approx. 387 calories
Old 02-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Day 35! 188.6lbs

Last day of week 5 for me today! Still 100% committed and 100% legal!

I am busy cleaning up the house today as I prepare for a playdate and visit from a friend. I made almond cookies so that I would have a treat with my coffee when they are having theirs. I tried one, they are really delicious, I would like to go a little easy on the xylitol next time, a little too sweet for me.

I will be having ribs with homemade bbq sauce and a greens salad for lunch. Turns out the bbq sauce is excellent, I thought it was too salty but that was actually from the pulled pork I first had it with. My hubby even liked it and he is not a bbq sauce fan, he said it tasted homemade and had lots of flavor.

For dinner, we are probably going to have pizza's, typical Friday night fare. I am going to be making an almond flour and cheese crust. Today is a little out of control with the almond flour so I hope I don't have a big gain tomorrow morning! I will have to add the carbs up first and see if I can afford it.

Have a wonderful weekend! I will be back tomorrow to report my total loss/gain for the week and my week 5 summary.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #77
Blabbermouth!!!

Girl, you are a cooking MACHINE! One thing I love about low-carbing is the challenge of converting things to LC. There are so many delicious things you CAN eat!

Ooooooh--will have to try the cupcake recipe after I return to LC! What is attractive about that recipe is no oddball ingredients--I already have all those things in the pantry! And maybe a bit of melted SF chocolate bar for frosting, hmmm? I have to be the only person on LCF that never got around to making the famed Muffin in a Minute!

I have bought the Guy's bbq sauce on Netrition, and it is quite good. However, I like my homemade one much better. I like bbq sauce sour and tangy, not too thick or sweet. I don't know which recipe you used, but I will dig out the one I use if you decide you ever want to try it. It's made with tomato sauce, sweetener, vinegar, liquid smoke and some seasonings. I got it here.

As for pizza--one thing I used to do when my family ordered pizza was make myself some "pizza chicken." Just butter fly a skinless boneless breast, and then pound it really, really thin, and there's your crust! If you butterfly it and pound it out carefully, you end up with a LOT of surface area! Season it and throw it in a skillet. Pounded thin, it only takes a minute or two to cook. Then you can top it with sauce, sausage, pepperoni, cheese--all the good stuff, and as soon as they melt, voila--pizza chicken!

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal

Last edited by verbqueen; 02-21-2014 at 07:07 PM..
Old 02-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

vb~ I do like cooking just not the cleaning so much, but who does? This new way of cooking has really opened a whole new world for me.

Yes the bbq sauce I like and I made is sour and tangy and has pretty much your ingredients in it, I think there is also garlic, onion powder, chilli powder, salt and pepper.

I like the chicken pizza idea and will have to give that a try! I ended up making mini pizza's for me and my kids with the almond flour and cheese, it was the first time they tried it and they liked it!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

WEEK 5 DONE!!!

I met my first goal today!!! my goal was to get to 187.8 lbs by the end of February and I overshot my goal woohoo! I AM SO PROUD! Also, I have NEVER lost weight eating so much food before and I was able to have treats everyday and the food was soooo yummy. I don't really believe I can reach my next goal of another 10lbs eating this way, it is really too good to be true. I am enjoying my workouts, next week I probably will only fit two in as I am going on a trip but I will be sure to take evening walks. The week after I plan on going three times to strollersize, every second day, I just it!

started at 197.8lbs on January 18 2014
Week 1 loss (Atkins induction) 5.6
Week 2 loss (Atkins induction) 1.8
Week 3 gain (no longer true induction, 20-30 grams of carbs a day) gain 1.2
Week 4 no loss (20-30 grams of carbs a day)
Week 5 loss (20-40 grams of carbs, 27.3 grams week average) 4.4
total loss 5 weeks 10.6!!!

measurements~
bust starting 43.5" today 41.5"
waist starting 37" today 34.5"
upper thigh starting 26.25" today 26"

my accomplishments and observations this week~

-hunger and cravings still mostly under control except when I ate Atkins bars
-used xylitol and Truvia as only sweetener, sparingly
-was active on most days
-no cheats, bites or licks of anything off plan
-did not feel food was controlling me
-felt in control most of the time
-wrote everything down in my hand written journal

improvements~

-watch calories, even though I was hoping I didn't have to ever count calories again, it turns out that it is very easy to overeat on this plan and that is why I might be stuck. My calorie tracking is telling me I usually fall between 1500 and 2000.
-try and watch the protein intake so as to not go too high
-try to not overindulge on "legal" treats

WEEK 5 SUMMARY~
Sat. 191.6 lbs. carbs-21.5 activity-none
Sun. 189 lbs. carbs-29.6 activity- none
Mon. 187.6 lbs. carbs-36.6 activity -30 min. skating
Tues. 188.4 lbs. carbs-29.5 activity -strollersize (HIT and weights) 1 hour
Wed. 189.6 lbs. carbs-32.1 activity-housework, sore today
Thurs. 188.6lbs. carbs-18 activity-strollersize (HIT and weights) 1 hour
Fri. 188.6 lbs. carbs-24 activity-housework, sore today
Saturday morning- 187.2 lbs.
average carbs for the week ~27.3
Old 02-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #80
Blabbermouth!!!

Great job! Congrats!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

thanks! I guess it paid off to keep at it!
Old 02-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #82
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish View Post
thanks! I guess it paid off to keep at it!
Ya know, it always does...
Old 02-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

a couple of questions any lc veterans reading-thx

A word about almond cookies~ good god they are yummy and very dangerous, I can't stop at one. The calories are adding up with these.

A word about oopsie rolls~ just made 6 and ate 2 also very yummy, problem is they are so light I didn't feel like I ate anything. I will eat the others for breakfast tomorrow with some more creamcheese and chocolate whipped cream but I am not sure if they will actually fill me and last me till lunch. I still don't know how people use them as a burger bun, the ones I made are so light and fluffy, like angel food cake, possibly lighter (they taste like it too if sweetened).

So far I have found the coconut oil chocolate bark , crepe's filled with creamcheese and the cake in a cup the most satisfying out of the dessert type things I have made. Atkins treats are a big NO, I am sure they spike my insulin, I can eat two and feel hungry after. I read that the maltitol in them is a problem.

If you have a very satisfying treat idea, please let me know. I am thinking of making a cheesecake with a nut crust next week. I guess if I am going to make this a lifestyle it is going to need to be a sweet one! I will have to have the occasional sf treat, there is NO way I am going to have a non sf dessert, not even "only once". I just know this would cause an avalanche and derail me. I am going to visit family next week and need to come up with ideas of what to do when I am over for dinner, bring veggies? bring my dessert? what do you people do when you are visiting? Lucky it is family so they should understand if I skip dessert and have to bring some veggies to have with whatever meat they serve. It won't be a problem at my parent's house, they will accommodate me, they know what I am doing right now. I have told them that I will not be eating anything off plan, sorry but no way, not even "only once".

And one more question, regarding sweeteners. There is so much conflicting info on them, in the ideal situation I would avoid all of them but it is kind of hard, long term. What is your opinion on Xylitol, Stevia and Truvia? The problem I have with Truvia is that I believe it contains mostly erythritol from gmo corn, and "natural flavors" doesn't really reveal what that is, kind of concerning. It does taste good so I use it on occasion.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:28 AM   #84
Blabbermouth!!!

There was a really good article shared on the main board the other day about sweeteners. I'll see if I can find it.

Basically, my belief is that erythritol and xylitol are the only decent sugar alcohols. Maltitol, in addition to its terrible gastric side effects, impacts blood sugar almost as badly as real sugar.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:08 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

thanks vb.
Atkins Nutritionals must know the truth about maltitol. I read somewhere that they were only tested on healthy people, with no blood sugar problems so therefore worked ok for those people, their products aren't for me.

Day 37! 188.8 lbs

Had oopsie rolls filled with chocolate whipped cream for breakfast, they were AMAZING. They are a spongy angel food cake type thing if you are not familiar... they are recommended!! Lots of talk about them on the boards.

I don't think I will be scheduling in exercise today, just doing some shopping.

My hubby and kids have commented on my breath this week, this is the only challenge I have about being in ketosis, I have no idea how bad it is or if it is happening all the time. I keep my distance when my mouth feels particularly gross. I think I may need to drink more water. Any suggestions?

Enjoy your Sunday!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #86
Blabbermouth!!!

I've never been able to do the revolution rolls or oopsies. I don't like eggs, and they're just too eggy for me!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

regarding, stinky mouth, I think I just need to drink more water on some days, also, I get comments after I have had a very garlicy meal, which is too bad because I LOVE garlic! So I may right away think it is ketosis breath when it is probably garlic.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Day 38! 187.8lbs HAPPY MONDAY!

I am feeling pretty good today, went to strollersize (it was Tabata today) and gave it my all, I did really well, I think I am improving. My toddler son was good as usual, I don't think I have heard one baby cry yet, the babies seem to like it.

Yesterday was one of those seriously high calorie yet low carb days, I just felt so stuffed. You can really overeat if you don't watch it, I thought my weight would go up this morning but it didn't. I really don't know what my carb and calorie allowance to lose weight is, for now I am keeping them 20-30 carbs on most days, never over 40. 1500-2000 calories on most days, never over 2500 (I don't think it is possible for me to eat more than 2500 calories on low carb).

I discovered an amazing flaxmeal bun recipe, nothing complex but MAN now I can eat burgers and enjoy them! sorry I just won't wrap my meat in lettuce and call it a burger, that is just too sad and no way to live. I will keep searching for bun recipe's as I am sure they are out there but this one is great, I had it open style for breakfast this morning with a ss up egg, 1 slice bacon, 1/4 avocado, 2 slices tomato, a little mayo, mustard....GOOD! and for lunch I had a bacon cheese burger between two buns. I am still not convinced I can lose weight eating this way but I guess I will keep on tracking and eating and see how it goes. I am a serious foodie so this is heaven. For my afternoon snack I am making a cake with creamcheese frosting and sharing it with the kids. Dinner will be a mixed green simple salad with a cucumber and salmon or a bacon wrapped sirloin steak. I don't ever snack after dinner, kitchen is closed! ;-) and I am usually not hungry anyways. Some nights I have a cup of hot broth if I need a little something.

Here is my super simple flaxmeal bun recipe, it just rocked my "I need some bread every now and again" world ;-)

flaxmeal buns, makes 6-8 (I will be getting muffin top baking trays to make these neater)

3/4 cup flax (ground)
1/4 cup coconut flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp melted coconut oil or butter
2 large eggs

combine dry ingredients, whisk together wet ingredients. Combine wet with dry, spoon is all you need to do this. Portion onto pan into circles, using a sheet of celefane over top the dough you can press into a circle. Bake 18 min at 350 degrees.
for 8 buns~ 19.3g fat, 9g protein, 1.7 net carbs
each~ 119 calories and less than 1 gram net carbs

enjoy!

Last edited by wish; 02-24-2014 at 12:12 PM..
Old 02-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

vb~ that is too bad about not liking eggs, they are so good in so many ways but like many things, if I think too much about what they are, it turns me off. lol
Old 02-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
If you are a foodie, you need to check out Carolyn Ketchums food blog if you haven't already. She has the best LC, GF cakes!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote