Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wish
Stats: 215/183/145
WOE: Atkins/ketogenic
Start Date: January 18 2014
awesome mattmich6! I wish you all the best and I will have a look at your journal!
wish is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Hey, look at you in the 180s! Way to go! Keep on trucking, girl!
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

thanks verbqueen, wish I had a like button! Nice photo by the way
Old 02-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks! That's my hubby, and the blonde goddess is my daughter. We attended an outdoor wedding last year, and that was taken there!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

P.S. What cracks me up about this photo is that Hallie and I look kind of petite, standing there with him. But she is 5'11" and I am 5'10"! AND--we were both wearing heels! And he's not really THAT much taller than us, at 6'3". I think it must be the camera angle, but it makes me laugh.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

you all look great and I don't see that you have any extra weight to lose, keep it up!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:36 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

hello LC friends,

it is 4:00am and I can't sleep, my son woke me up with his mobile, he turned it on full volume at 3:00am. I kept thinking too much and I thought I would just get up and do some writing and reading. During my sleeping hours I experienced nothing but anxiety....

I feel like I really messed up yesterday. Friday is "fun food Friday" at my house, the kids and I wanted pizza, my husband hates pizza so he ended up having some fish and cauliflower mash (not really "fun food" but he wants to get healthy as well). The kids got to decorate their own little pizza, they like to make faces with the cut up veggies. I made cauliflower and cheese crust pizza for myself. It was really delicious, so much so that I ate the whole frakin thing! I feel absolutely terrible about that, old feelings of guilt and failure. My carb count came to 35 for the day, which is high but I guess not horrible however I ate WAY too much cheese (2.5 cups of cheese, ooof!)

Looking back at my week I did however have four days where I ate no cheese at all, I don't know if you can bank your cheese and blow it all in one day, probably not!

So I expect that when I weigh in at 7:00am I will be up over 190lbs again. I did have a brisk 40min. walk on an incline of 5 on the treadmill yesterday, I hope that makes a difference.

Well now that I am more awake I am beginning to think that maybe I am making too much of a big deal... I was good all week and I didn't cave into carby trashy food, just a little too much of the food I am supposed to eat.

I will be back to write my week 3 summary sometime later today. Ciao for now!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:34 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

WEEK 3 DONE!!!

started at 197.8lbs on January 18 2014
Week 1 loss (Atkins induction) 5.6
Week 2 loss (Atkins induction) 1.8
Week 3 gain (no longer true induction, 20-30 grams of carbs a day) gain 1.2
current weight 191.6
total loss 6.2

measurements~
bust starting 43.5" today 43"
waist starting 37" today 35.5"
upper thigh starting 26.25" today 26"

my accomplishments and observations this week~

-hunger and cravings still under control
-Atkins bars and shakes still remain unopened (bought in case of emergency)
-used xylitol as only sweetener, sparingly
-was active on most days
-no cheats, bites or licks of anything off plan
-did not feel food was controlling me
-felt in control most of the time
-wrote everything down in my hand written journal
-gained this week but I am sure it is from water retention, I am experiencing a lot of muscle soreness which can be a reason for extra water retention

improvements~

-overindulged on low carb pizza on one occasion -I can avoid this in future by making a smaller portion for myself
-try and watch the protein intake so as to not go too high

WEEK 3 SUMMARY~
Sat. 190.4 lbs. carbs-20.7 activity-none
Sun. 190.2 lbs. carbs-27 activity- skating 40 min.
Mon. 191.6 lbs. carbs-19.9 activity-treadmill brisk walk 5 incline 40 min.
Tues. 190.2 lbs. carbs-33.5 activity-run/sprints gym track 40 min.
Wed. 190.4 lbs. carbs-17.5 activity-housework, sore today
Thurs. 190.0 lbs. carbs-20.3 activity-run/walk/upper body weights gym track 40 min.
Fri. 191.6 lbs. carbs-35.7 activity-treadmill brisk walk 5 incline 40 min.

average carbs for the week ~24.9

I am not going to let the weight gain this week discourage me, I am sure it is from water retention. I will have to see what happens by the end of week 4 and if there is no loss then I will have to make some changes. Wish me luck.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Wish, you are doing really well. Congratulations on your weight loss and hitting the three week mark. Wishing you continued success!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Day 23! down again to 190lbs.

I made the most amazing crepes this morning! filled with orange flavored creamcheese and topped with whip cream, slivered almonds and a drizzle of dark chocolate. Five total carbs for the two, I was in heaven. Not only were they delicious but I feel full and satisfied. If they were high in carbs, made with sugar and wheat flour I could probably eat like 10 of those and still feel hungry.

We are planning on visiting family in three weeks and my goal is to be able to get down to 185lbs. I haven't seen 185 in over 5 years, I do hope I can meet this goal!

Speaking of goals, here they are~

goal #1 187lbs -I was this weight sometime before Christmas and also this is the weight I have been stuck at for the longest time, this would be a 10lb loss
(187lbs at the end of February)

goal #2 180lbs -my lowest 7 years ago, although I mostly remember being stuck at 182lbs (180lbs by mid April)

goal #3 170lbs (by mid June)
goal #4 160lbs (by mid August)
goal #5 150lbs (by mid October)
goal #6 140lbs -my weight when I was 23 and on my wedding day I was 145lbs and I looked and felt great so I would be tremendously happy with 145, it would be amazing if I fit into my wedding dress, time to stop thinking this is a pipe dream and make it a reality! (goal reached by Christmas 2014)

I hope you will be here with me along the way!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

thank you Gailgail! I am sure with the help of this community I should meet my goal, time to stop thinking it is a pipe dream and make it reality. Time to get my health back!! I CAN AND WILL DO THIS!! there I wrote it down in all caps, it will happen!!
Old 02-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Go you! Your small "bump" the other day was probably just from the cheese. It is salty and can cause a little bit of (temporary) water retention. Never get discouraged when water retention masks the changes you can see and feel in your body.

You are doing great and I know you can make your goal!
Old 02-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattmich6
Stats: 222/211/150
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Wish I love the idea about Fun Good Friday and the pizza ! I should try that with my kids
Looks like u are going awesome keep it up !!!
mattmich6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

thank you ladies!

Day 24! 190.0lbs

The weekend went well, stayed on plan and went skating on Sunday. I feel like I am getting the hang of this, I hope I am not going to have to cut something out of my diet in order to have the needle move down, that will make me crabby. Actually I am feeling rather positive about this week.

I managed another day at the gym, I did about 50min. of walk 1 round/ run 2rounds on the track. I am still a little sore so I thought I would leave the sprints for another day, also I seem to have some chest congestion so I don't want to overdue it.

I took out two new books from the library and read them over the weekend. One was A New Atkins for a New You and the other one is called Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A few weeks ago I read an Atkins book, I think it was called Diabetes Revolution or something like that. I found the newest edition to be better but I don't think I found anything new in there. Diabetes Solution has a lot of information on controlling blood sugar (if you already have diabetes) that doesn't really pertain to me but there is some good info in there too, I am not all done reading it yet.

I am planning on going out to dinner tonight, I am planning to have a salad with chicken and shrimp, or maybe a juicy steak with a side of steamed veggies.

bye!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattmich6
Stats: 222/211/150
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Hi Wish,

That is great that you did 50 min walk!!!! I go to my trainer for 30 min 3 times a week. I find that working out helps shed the pounds.

How was dinner? Sounds delish what did you end up getting?

Melissa
mattmich6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Hi!

Day 25!! 191.0lbs (up) (yes I'm a little peeved but not quitting yet)

I am hungry for change, I want to improve my health and appearance, I am done with looking old and feeling unhappy. I don't blame myself for being out of control and lazy, I have tried many methods to get healthy and lose weight and they have taken a lot of time, effort and will power. They have not worked for me and I now know they didn't address my main problem, my hormonal imbalance, my insulin resistance. No doctor has ever suggested I try something that would actually help solve the underlying problem. My current doctor suggested I eat less and exercise more! No one I know has ever suggested a diet like this to me before. I have finally found it on my own. I have cut carbs before but it wasn't enough, not for me.

It is time for me, I believe I have found the right information, I may have to tweak it a little here and there to get it to work but I just know in time it will.

Dinner last night was at BP's and I got a mediterranian salad with chicken breast and a shrimp skewer. The salad had 11 carbs according to their website. I made it just under 30 grams yesterday. There were a heck of a lot of olives on that salad but I ate them all anyways. I resisted having some of my sons ice cream but believe me it was hard, I can clearly remember how it tastes and feels in my mouth and those crunchy m&m's oh god I wanted a bite. I hung on to the feeling of being in charge and it got me through, I don't want to be slave to my taste buds anymore and pay with poor health. I keep reminding myself, that stuff is poison for my body.

I went to the gym again today, my son just loves the child minding center there so it is a treat for him to go and I also think it is great for him to have a chance to play with other kids around his age and be away from mommy for a little bit. It is such a treat for me to have time to myself doing something good for my body. Today I did HIT, 30sec of sprinting followed by 2 min. of slow walking and deep breathing, 8 times. After that I did upper body weights. I was working out for 50min. I feel amazing.

I have a friend coming over for lunch tomorrow, I am still deciding what to make. I thought I would have a look at some recipe's and try something new or I could make something simple like salmon and veggies with some rice for her.

In other news, I am still having issues with regularity, I have not tried magnesium yet and really need to buy some today. I am eating lots of fiber and drinking lots too but it doesn't seem to be helping. I think this may be one of the reasons I am not losing weight. I don't think to drink broth everyday, I am having some right now (with sea salt). I don't really know if that helps or not. I can't tell right now if my body is retaining or dehydrated but judging by my issues I think I may be dehydrated.

Anyways, how are you all doing? I hope you are feeling in charge and alive and ready to make big changes!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

good day everyone!

Day 26! 190.4 lbs. today.

I am giving my body a bit of a rest today and not going to do a workout.

I have decided that I would track my calories for a few days and see where I am. I really was hoping that I would be done with that forever but I keep wondering if I am eating too much. I am probably being impatient but this up and down dance is really really annoying, especially this early in the game.

I am having a friend over for lunch and decided I would make pork souvlaki and salad, that should be yummy.

A funny thing happened yesterday while I was at the supermarket yesterday, they had big huge tubs of kimchi and it caught my eye, I started to salivate and want it. I have never bought it before, although I have tried it a couple of times. Anyways, I love the stuff and it is the ultimate for gut flora and has other health benefits. I just thought that it was funny that such a food got my attention and I had to buy it, it is a huge tub , glad the hubby likes it and that it lasts a while in the fridge!

Hoping to be in my 180's for good by next week. But more importantly I want to see my waist measurement go down, I will be into my fifth week!
Old 02-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Day 27! 189.6lbs. (yay the 180's, I don't want to see the 190's again)

Today I discovered an absolutely fantastic class for me! I decided to try a strollersize class, I was nervous that my 2.5+ toddler would be a pain about being confined in a stroller...instead he seemed to enjoy it and the snacks I brought him kept him busy. The class was exactly the combination of exercises that I enjoy, running at different levels, weights and ab. crunches. The class was so difficult that I had to modify nearly everything to get through it but it is good to know I could work up to it. Some of these moms are so amazingly strong and in good shape that it was incredibly motivating!

I finished reading Dr. Bernstein's Diabete's Solution last night. A lot of it doesn't really apply to me as I don't have diabete's but I wanted to read his book because he goes into a proper diet for diabetics and nondiabetics, it is a low carb (under 50grams), moderate protein, high fat diet, so pretty much in line with the Atkins diet. I found him to be a fascinating person, he was diagnosed with type 1 when he was 12 years old in 1945. At that time there was little you could do to control your diabete's and it was a death sentence, doctor's actually encouraged a high carb diet. He went on to become a doctor at the age of 45 so that he could be heard by the medical community and teach other diabetics how to control their diabete's, this coming from years of experimenting on himself and learning what worked. He is now in his 70's and is super healthy while still living as a type 1. He is truly remarkable.

The only thing in the book that was disheartening for me (and I feel for others) was when he wrote about PCOS (the condition I have). He said that some women with PCOS will not be able to lose their extra weight even on a near starvation diet....harsh. I hope that I am not one of those women. He even tries to use various medications on women with this condition at his clinic, some are listed in his book.

Anyways, one and a half more days before week 4 is done! I hope you are doing well!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Oh and another thing I wanted to add...

Atkins boxes are now open! after being good and not eating any Atkins products, I decided I wanted to give them a try, I guess they were calling my name yesterday. Holy moly they are good! I hope eating these is not going to hurt the weight loss (as I hear it does for some).
Old 02-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
I have PCOS and I have successfully lost 70 pounds. I feel like eating LC tends to reserve the symptoms of PCOS.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

thanks cfine, that is really encouraging to hear! 70lbs is amazing, congrats!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Happy Valentines day!!

Day 28! I said I didn't want to see the 190's again but I am back in there again, at 190.6lbs this morning. I hurt from head to toe so maybe my muscles are holding onto water? Seriously, I have never hurt so bad from exercise, that strollersize workout just about killed me, I will be sure to come back for more next week. Honestly, I thought strollersize classes were very gentle exercise (which is why I was never interested), I was proven wrong.

Today is my last day of week 4, I hope I see some improvement in my measurements tomorrow. I have been doing some calorie counting in the last three days, 1390,1840,1985. Yesterday I was super hungry and ate more (1985), I believe it was from my crazy hard 1 hour workout. My target is to be somewhere between 1500-1800 but I hope I don't have to always count.

Last night I made zucchini fritters with salmon for dinner. They were so good, everyone gobbled them up.

14oz shredded zucchini
2 eggs lrg whisked
1/2tsp baking soda
2tbsp coconut flour
salt and pepper to taste
butter for frying
-makes 4 servings/8 patties/2 each
3.4g net carbs
5 grams protein
170 calories

Tonight is "fun food Friday" and a sleepover at my house. The kids want to make their own "monster" pizza's (using varies cut up veggies). They will be making popcorn for their movie. I am probably going to make pizza for myself using some sort of new flaxseed crust recipe. I will be making quesadilla's for the other adults. It is a busy day here as I try to clean up the house and go shopping for ingredients and run errands. I would rather just lay perfectly still but I guess I can't, maybe for part of tomorrow?

Wishing you a nice Friday and great weekend!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Who would have thought strollersize would be so brutal?
Old 02-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

I know right?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

I have a question for anyone reading who knows the answer to this one.

I made an amazing almond flour pizza crust tonight and in the nutritional info it says that 1/2 cup of almond flour has 3 carbs and 4 grams of fiber, how do you calculate net carbs for that? Is it really a 0 carb food?
Old 02-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Not sure where those counts came from but honeyville blanched almond flour for 1/4 cup is 160 calories; 6g protein; 6 carbs; 3G fiber.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

thanks, that makes more sense.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

WEEK 4 DONE!!!

started at 197.8lbs on January 18 2014
Week 1 loss (Atkins induction) 5.6
Week 2 loss (Atkins induction) 1.8
Week 3 gain (no longer true induction, 20-30 grams of carbs a day) gain 1.2
Week 4 no loss (20-30 grams of carbs a day)
total loss 4 weeks 6.2

measurements~
bust starting 43.5" today 42"
waist starting 37" today 34.5"
upper thigh starting 26.25" today 26"

my accomplishments and observations this week~

-hunger and cravings still mostly under control
-I have been waking up earlier and feel more alert in the morning, not sure if this is related but I was never a morning person
-magnesium has really helped me with regularity
-I have started eating Atkins bars and now I am thinking about them, not good
-used xylitol and stevia (truvia) as only sweetener, sparingly
-was active on most days
-no cheats, bites or licks of anything off plan
-did not feel food was controlling me
-felt in control most of the time
-wrote everything down in my hand written journal
-no weight loss this week, up and down all week. I am experiencing a lot of muscle soreness which can be a reason for extra water retention. I am measuring smaller and that is what is most important.

improvements~

-watch calories, even though I was hoping I didn't have to ever count calories again, it turns out that it is very easy to overeat on this plan and that is why I might be stuck. I have been tracking for four days now and I am getting an idea of what is happening.
-try and watch the protein intake so as to not go too high

WEEK 4 SUMMARY~
Sat. 191.6 lbs. carbs-19.5 activity-none
Sun. 190 lbs. carbs-25.3 activity- skating 40 min.
Mon. 190 lbs. carbs-29.7 activity -track at the gym 50 min.
Tues. 191 lbs. carbs-23 cal-1390 activity -HIT and arm weights 50 min.
Wed. 190.4 lbs. carbs-17.3 cal-1840 activity-housework, sore today
Thurs. 189.6lbs. carbs-26.9 cal-1985 activity-strollersize (HIT and all over body weights) 60 min.
Fri. 190.6 lbs. carbs-20.3 cal-2147 activity-housework, sore today
Saturday morning- 191.6 lbs.
average carbs for the week ~23.1

So as you can see, my calories are a little high although I have been pretty active this week. Friday's are always high. I hope I can see some movement on the scale next week. I feel slimmer, my clothes feel a tiny bit looser but it isn't a dramatic enough difference and I am not really expecting that for the first few weeks. My hope is that I continue with this and get better at it and by the end of March I will see a really noticeable difference, my hubby sees a difference so that is great.

Last edited by wish; 02-15-2014 at 07:04 PM..
Old 02-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

I found this useful post by merrykate, it explains a lot.

WHY THE SCALES CAN LIE

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.

However, if you give those fat cells some time, like 4-6 months, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

PATTERNS OF WEIGHT LOSS

Common patterns of weight loss from tracking a lot of people who become assimilated into the low carb lifestyle, a pattern emerges.... the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported. This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that the rate drops to only 1 pound per week.

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a weight-reduction diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this. OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks. Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa! Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound each!

So... what gives? Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for about 3-5 pounds of water. In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10 initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking: Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin anti-diuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occurring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite suppression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing.

From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging. Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself) is helpful. Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial water-loss phase of the Atkins diet. By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is rate-limited.

Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight (whichever is the lower number). So don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress. Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occurring.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've been told over an over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet many of us can't resist peeking at that number every morning. If you just can't bring yourself to toss the scale in the trash, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the factors that influence it's readings. From water retention to glycogen storage and changes in lean body mass, daily weight fluctuations are normal. They are not indicators of your success or failure. Once you understand how these mechanisms work, you can free yourself from the daily battle with the bathroom scale.

Water makes up about 60% of total body mass. Normal fluctuations in the body's water content can send scale-watchers into a tailspin if they don't understand what's happening. Two factors influencing water retention are water consumption and salt intake. Strange as it sounds, the less water you drink, the more of it your body retains. If you are even slightly dehydrated your body will hang onto it's water supplies with a vengeance, possibly causing the number on the scale to inch upward. The solution is to drink plenty of water.

Excess salt (sodium) can also play a big role in water retention. A single teaspoon of salt contains over 2,000 mg of sodium. Generally, we should only eat between 1,000 and 3,000 mg of sodium a day, so it's easy to go overboard. Sodium is a sneaky substance. You would expect it to be most highly concentrated in salty chips, nuts, and crackers. However, a food doesn't have to taste salty to be loaded with sodium. A half cup of instant pudding actually contains nearly four times as much sodium as an ounce of salted nuts, 460 mg in the pudding versus 123 mg in the nuts.

The more highly processed a food is, the more likely it is to have a high sodium content. That's why, when it comes to eating, it's wise to stick mainly to the basics: fruits, vegetables, lean meat, beans, and whole grains. Be sure to read the labels on canned foods, boxed mixes, and frozen dinners.

Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. Pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking plenty of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.

Another factor that can influence the scale is glycogen. Think of glycogen as a fuel tank full of stored carbohydrate. Some glycogen is stored in the liver and some is stored the muscles themselves. This energy reserve weighs more than a pound and it's packaged with 3-4 pounds of water when it's stored. Your glycogen supply will shrink during the day if you fail to take in enough carbohydrates.

As the glycogen supply shrinks you will experience a small imperceptible increase in appetite and your body will restore this fuel reserve along with it's associated water. It's normal to experience glycogen and water weight shifts of up to 2 pounds per day even with no changes in your calorie intake or activity level. These fluctuations have nothing to do with fat loss, although they can make for some unnecessarily dramatic weigh-ins if you're prone to obsessing over the number on the scale.

Otherwise rational people also tend to forget about the actual weight of the food they eat. For this reason, it's wise to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you've had anything to eat or drink. Swallowing a bunch of food before you step on the scale is no different than putting a bunch of rocks in your pocket. The 5 pounds that you gain right after a huge dinner is not fat. It's the actual weight of everything you've had to eat and drink. The added weight of the meal will be gone several hours later when you've finished digesting it.

Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn. In other words, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, it would have to contain a whopping 17,500 calories. This is not likely, in fact it's not humanly possible. So when the scale goes up 3 or 4 pounds overnight, rest easy, it's likely to be water, glycogen, and the weight of your dinner. Keep in mind that the 3,500 calorie rule works in reverse also. In order to lose one pound of fat you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in.

Generally, it's only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. When you follow a very low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it's physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you're really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle.

This brings us to the scale's sneakiest attribute. It doesn't just weigh fat. It weighs muscle, bone, water, internal organs and all. When you lose "weight," that doesn't necessarily mean that you've lost fat. In fact, the scale has no way of telling you what you've lost (or gained). Losing muscle is nothing to celebrate. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even when you're just sitting around. That's one reason why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue.

Robin Landis, author of "Body Fueling," compares fat and muscles to feathers and gold. One pound of fat is like a big fluffy, lumpy bunch of feathers, and one pound of muscle is small and valuable like a piece of gold. Obviously, you want to lose the dumpy, bulky feathers and keep the sleek beautiful gold. The problem with the scale is that it doesn't differentiate between the two. It can't tell you how much of your total body weight is lean tissue and how much is fat.

There are several other measuring techniques that can accomplish this, although they vary in convenience, accuracy, and cost. Skin-fold calipers pinch and measure fat folds at various locations on the body, hydrostatic (or underwater) weighing involves exhaling all of the air from your lungs before being lowered into a tank of water, and bioelectrical impedance measures the degree to which your body fat impedes a mild electrical current.

If the thought of being pinched, dunked, or gently zapped just doesn't appeal to you, don't worry. The best measurement tool of all turns out to be your very own eyes. How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success. If you are exercising and eating right, don't be discouraged by a small gain on the scale. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. Expect them to happen and take them in stride.

It's a matter of mind over scale
Old 02-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Day 30! 189lbs

We are having a lovely weekend!
Just wanted to share my incredible lunch with you, I could eat this everyday~

5 scallops, 10 shrimp (normal size not those jumbo ones) cooked in butter, garlic, onion powder
add in 3 chopped mushrooms
steam 200g French green beans, then add them in
stir together and plate, drizzle with lemon juice and sriracha sauce

OMG deliciousness!! around 220 calories, around 12 grams carbs and approx. 30 grams protein