Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KWAY2B185
Stats: 254.4/248.8/185
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: January 26, 2014/January 29, 2014(Atkins 72)
KWAY's Journey

I figured this would be a great place to log my progress on this journey.

KWAY2B185 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

My Story:
I started Atkins on Sun. Jan 28. I had read the latest Atkins book "The New Atkins for a New You" and had been preparing myself to begin for about a month now. Let's see, I have struggled with my weight since I joined the Army in '97. I remember having to lose water weight just to make tape and I was 160 lbs and 5' 8". That struggle went on for the entire time I was in (8 years); of course it helped that I was running at least 10-15 miles a week and doing high intensity training. I was able to keep my weight under 185. Once I got out...the weight piled on because I did workout as often because let's face it, I got paid to work out. That's odd that I didn't keep doing it because I actually LOVE running and lifting weights.

Through the years I have learned that I am an emotional eater, carbs are NOT friend, stress causes me to gain weight. Now that I know that, I believe that Atkins is the thing for me. Since Sunday, I have been feeling so much better in terms of being bloated and feeling heavy.

On Sunday I started out at 254.4 lbs. and measured Arms-14 1/2, Bust line-44 1/2, Part around breast-47 1/2, Waist-53 1/2, Hips-52, & Thighs-29 1/2. This was my first time ever measuring and I have to admit that those numbers terrify me but also motivate me at the same. I wanted to have something else to challenge me other than the numbers on the scale because that thing will go UP and DOWN and can get discouraging. I vowed to not weigh myself until after two weeks, but I gave IN last night. I had my sister look on my calendar to see my start weight and to weigh me but only tell me if it was a gain or loss. When she said gain, I freaked out. It said 257 lbs. Yes I got super upset because I had been eating exactly what was on the plan and staying under 20 carbs. I thought maybe it was because I had a bowel movement, then I remembered reading about the flax muffins...I made one with just eggs, flax, and cinnamon...added some cream cheese-It was good but...I still wasn't quite at peace yet. So about 4 a.m. I woke up and check out the threads here and ended up in the Atkins 72 thread. I knew it was God send. After reading here, I decided that today I would do it the original way and forget about all the other complications that the newer Atkins books have added like, counting calories too? Thats too much, I like my eggs cooked with a little bacon grease, and I love chicken/tuna salad with Dukes mayo because it's the only one that doesn't have any sugar. So, I went to the bathroom this morning twice and I got on the scale again and it said 254.2...yes a loss of .2 lbs. However, I am noticing something very different though, the red pants I am wearing are now fitting way looser than they did last week, my shirt is looser, my belly is getting flatter and my side (love) handles are decreasing. It is safe to say that I believe that this way of life is working so far, even after 3-4 days.

I haven't had the desire to cheat like I have been reading on several threads. That may be partially due to the fact that I KNOW what carbs do to my body. In July, I had gained the 30 lbs that I had lost while on WW back and my doctor instructed me not to eat anything white or starchy, no high fructose corn syrup, no breads or corn tortillas or taco shells for 3 months...just meat, whole grains, fruit and vegetables and not to eat after 7 p.m.. Well...on the positive side of things I didn't gain, however, I didn't lose either and I still craved Breads, sweet things, carbs. After that experiment, I learned a LOT about my body and I still could not loose that midnight snacking..you know that feeling of NEEDING to have something to eat. I was bad, I would eat a couple of times in the middle of night: a sandwich, grapes, an orange, bowl of cereal. Crazy right? It was those carbs!

Nonetheless, I am glad to have experienced that because I believe it is helping with my will power to succeed this time.

So, as of this morning, I have decided to change my WOE to Atkins '72. I will be returning the new version of Atkins and it's cookbook back to the library today! Of course I didn't buy it, and glad I didn't, but I will be combing for the Atkins '72 book online to purchase it.

_______________________________ (my self created signature until the admins let me)

Old 01-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

SCALE in the ATTIC!

So yesterday (1/29) I found out that I was in ketosis! Tuesday I had this horrible headache and now my breath smells like it STINKS! Seems like nothing cures it, oh well as long as the inches and pounds are moving down. I put my scale in the attic! It's the only way I can NOT get on it every day. I will get on it Saturday morning after my workout and put it right back up there! Saturday will be one week! I am going to trust my clothing. I am not sure if I will weigh weekly or bi-weekly.

Gonna get a work out in today. I will do 7 minutes of High Intensity Training and that's going to be it for the girl tonight, it will be my first workout this week I am not happy about that but at least I am doing something.

My menu today: Water goal-at least 96 oz water

B:4 scrambled eggs in butter/bacon grease with pork sausage, coffee & water
S: nothing...wasn't hungry or either too busy (still not sure)
L: chicken salad with eggs/1 cup salad greens w/1 raddish & a little cucumber/dash of red wine vinegar & oil
S: boiled eggs if I feel hungry
D: bacon wrapped burgers w/mayo & 1 cup salad greens w/1 raddish & a little cucumber/dash of red wine vinegar & oil

Old 01-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoxyRoller
Stats: 315/259/200 next weigh 8/1/14
WOE: Calorie controlled, average 75 carbs per day
Start Date: December 30, 2013
Hello and welcome to LCF! First let me say, thank you for your service!

Carbs are the devil's work, aren't they!!? I believe there are those of us who are acutely sensitive to carbs (especially from sugar/junk) and when we eat them we start a vicious cycle, the more you eat, the more you crave....ugh!

It's amazing how quickly you can feel a change in the way clothes fit and overall general well being....so cool!
RoxyRoller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:32 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Hi Roxy, it was definitely a pleasure and I tell people all the time that I wouldn't trade my military service for anything, it is because of it that I have the job I have today.

I agree wholeheartedly about those evil carbs! I had no idea how I was sabtaging myself with too much fruit and the wrong kinds of vegetables. And to think that's why I was craving foods at night, so glad I know now.

Wishing you well on your journey.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I hadn't posted here in a couple of days, which is so not what I intended to do. I have been staying on my plan and striving to make the best eating choices. Last night, I worked out with a friend who has also been losing weight by counting calories. I at dinner (3 hard boiled eggs) prior to heading to gym and when I to home, I was starved. I did good until I wasn't able to fall asleep, so I ate three (3) cans of Vienna Sausages. Yikes...it was 7 carbs but it was soooooo late! I kept telling myself that it's still protein, even though I know it wasn't CLEAN protein. Not going to beat myself up about it, just gonna see how my body reacts to that moment of weakness. In this life there will be ups and downs. I'm just going to keep it moving.

Today's Menu:
B: Omelet with butter/cheese/bacon
S: Boiled eggs or deviled eggs (if I get hungry)
L: Chicken salad, green salad w/raddish & bleu cheese, red wine vinegar
S: Boiled eggs or deviled eggs (if I get hungry)
D: Chicken, green salad w/raddish & bleu cheese, red wine vinegar
Liquids: Black coffee, water

1/26: 254.4
1/28: 257
1/29: 254.2
2/1: 250.2

February Goals: (may make an adjustment) 1. Weigh once a week on Saturdays 2. Workout at least 3 times a week 3. Don't eat after 7pm 4. Declutter

My Journey KWAY's Journey

Old 02-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandy1
Stats: 165/149.4/140's
WOE: One day at a time
Start Date: February 1st 2014
Hi Kway....I am in your February challenge but really enjoyed reading your journal, you are doing amazing so far.
You also got your signature lol, I researched for ages trying to figure out how to get one and then saw a post that said 25 posts before you get one, so I am hoping it will just appear in the user control panel, is that where you found yours.
Anyway good luck and you are doing really well, see you in the Feb challenge.
Sandy
Sandy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy1 View Post
Hi Kway....I am in your February challenge but really enjoyed reading your journal, you are doing amazing so far.
You also got your signature lol, I researched for ages trying to figure out how to get one and then saw a post that said 25 posts before you get one, so I am hoping it will just appear in the user control panel, is that where you found yours.
Anyway good luck and you are doing really well, see you in the Feb challenge.
Sandy
Hi Sandy, thanks for reading my journal. I am loving this new way of eating. It helps that I have had some time to understand what really works for my body, and most days, that's what keeps me motivated to continue on.

I actually cheated on my signature, I have to copy and paste my info at the bottom everytime I post. You have to be a member for 25 days & have 25 posts. :-( You can create your own ticker by following the instructions posted in the Low Carb Friends Tools page: https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/tools.html.

Wishing you great success. See in the February Challenge...I am headed over there right now.

1/26: 254.4
1/28: 257
1/29: 254.2
2/1: 250.2 - Workout-C25K Week 2 Day 1
2/2: NW - Workout-24 Day Ab Challenge Day 1/2
2/3: NW - Workout-C25K Week 2 Day 2, Abs w/Medicine ball; Decluttered: Old Receipts
2/4: NW - Workout-24 Day Ab Challenge Day 3; Decluttered: Old Receipts
3. Don't eat after 7pm
4. Declutter

Old 02-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Katrina thanks for the help with the signature, I am glad you told me as I was expecting to have one today, so I have to wait 25 days, what a bummer lol.
I will keep following your journey if you don't mind as you are doing so well, its cool you are posting your menu, so I can follow that now and again as well lol.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy1 View Post
Hi Katrina thanks for the help with the signature, I am glad you told me as I was expecting to have one today, so I have to wait 25 days, what a bummer lol.
I will keep following your journey if you don't mind as you are doing so well, its cool you are posting your menu, so I can follow that now and again as well lol.
You are welcome Sandy!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:34 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

It’s officially been one week since my WOE has been Atkins ’72 (1 ˝ weeks on low carb) and I have never felt better. I appreciate not having to worry about what I am going to eat. I also love being able to SEE my body transform with losing inches. Clothes that I have been wearing that were once a little snug or showed a roll or two, I am happy to see that those rolls no longer exist. I have to remember to tell my friend that he was right about forgetting about the scale and look at the inches.

For the past two nights I have been wanting to eat something past 7 p.m., so I see this as a problem area of mine. So once again, I ate the very LAST can of Vienna sausages in my pantry and two hard boiled eggs with water. I felt bad because I was breaking my “no eating after 7 p.m.” rule; but I didn’t feel defeated and want to quit or start bingeing on sweets/high carb foods. YAY! So I have been trying to figure out why this is happening because I can see a downward trend starting to happen if I don’t take control right now. I have noticed that I haven’t been eating enough of protein at dinner or with my other meals; and I know that protein keeps you fuller longer. I also have noticed that late night snacking is something that I have struggled with for years, so this will take more will power as I know change does not happen overnight. Fix #1: Upping my protein Fix #2: Relax and take it one day at a time.

I am destined to live a healthy, long life. I am also destined to fit into smaller clothes. I will conquer carbs and carbs will NOT control my life! I will endure until the end.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Itching to get on the SCALE!!!

I want so badly to get on the scale to see if I am still losing weight. It's hard to go a WHOLE seven days waiting to weigh. I keep telling myself this is working, hey, I got into a pair of jeans I haven't worn in two months because they were WAAAYYYY too tight! They fit perfectly, of course, I still have some belly fat hanging around but I can feel it shrinking down...instead of three rolls, I now only have two! I am going to measure again on Sunday to compare my inches and will keep doing that every two weeks for motivation.

I am, however, thinking about cutting out my exercise for a week to see what happens. This week I have exercised almost everyday, including some strength training (I am hoping not to sabotage myself with it). We will see...maybe I will hold on to the running though...I love it! IDK.

My menu today:

B: 6 strips of bacon, 4 eggs scrambled, a little shaved parmesan cheese
L: chicken salad scooped up with pork skins, maybe a salad?
S: baked chicken legs
D: 6 strips of bacon, 4 eggs scrambled, a little shaved parmesan cheese
Liquids: Black coffee, water
Supplements: 2 (250g) magnesium at bedtime, haven't gotten around to getting the others yet...YIKES!

__________________________________________________ ____
I am destined to live a healthy, long life. I am also destined to fit into smaller clothes. I will conquer carbs and carbs will NOT control my life! I will endure until the end.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like you are doing amazing, can't wait till you get on those scales lol ...
Old 02-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

I haven't posted here in a while...can't really say I've been busy..idk.

So I am happy for a 1.8lb loss for a total of 6lb loss in two weeks. I will measure on Sunday. But I have to admit that I am slightly discouraged by the low number; although I am losing inches like crazy. The pants that I am wearing today are a size 18 (not an 18W) and I have room in them, which I didn't when I last wore them, in fact I had to squeeze in them. I know that everyone's bodies are different and that the results will be different. I am doing some research and finding that INCH loss is common before a loss in pounds. When I was on weight watchers, I lost 30 lbs, a few inches but nothing that was noticeable to change my clothes. Whereas now, I am having to move to smaller clothing with the scale not moving as much. Idk.

This process is helping to make me more knowledgeable about what my body does. Beginning Saturday I will start working out again, but I will only do cardio for an hour straight as I love running with my couch to 5k plan app. For now, I will just rest in the fact that my body will do what it wants when it's ready.

February Goals: (may make an adjustment)
1. Weigh once a week on Saturdays (adjusted because I was gaining)
2. Workout at least 3 times a week (starting back on 2.15..1 hr cardio)
3. Don't eat after 7pm
4. Declutter

Old 02-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Kway...forgot..is it Monika.....anyway I think you have done amazing losing 6 pounds in two weeks, I know when we read other peoples story's of them losing ten pounds then it makes our loss not look so good....when I was eating just fruit and salads every day I would be hungry a lot of the time and the most I could expect to lose in a week was one to two pounds...and you have lost three a week eating the most lovely food....anyway sorry for rambling lol, I am just trying to help....I think you have done really well, so I just popped in to say WELL DONE YOU lol.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Sandy for the encouragment. I agree, we both have done well. I just think that we will be rewarded for persistence. I know I feel soooo much better and I can sleep the entire night. Most of my cravings are gone and I actually feel lighter. Thanks again.

Btw, it's Katrina, lol.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Congrats on the losses!!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

No MORE Coffee for Me!!!

at least for a while....found out that it has carbs. I drink coffee ALL day... so maybe that was causing me to stall out? IDK. We will see. Instead, I will get some green tea later today...because I need caffeine and I need to research decaf coffee because I LOVE the coffee taste.

I deliberately went off plan on Feb 28. Today, March 5 is my first day back on plan. Although I was losing inches, I wasn't losing any weight. Let's be honest, being 250lbs is NOT a good thing, even with your waist line shrinking. I am seeking to find out what is causing me to stall and NOT eliminate. I am also researching a detox plan, thinking of doing that to jumpstart my weight loss. I need to drop at least 25 lbs...once I am in the 220lbs I can probably see my way to losing more weight. I will post my measurements tomorrow and plan on using this journal to log my meals

I didn't weight today, I guess I will have to weigh in the morning.

Today's Menu:

B: 1/3 cucumber/chicken salad/2 boiled eggs
L: chicken salad
D: roast beef/cooked (frozen) spinach

Workout: during my lunch break
55 minutes on treadmill (to burn 500 calories)
total body weight training