Old 02-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shebasmudder
Stats: 230/207/160
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 1/15/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgonadoit View Post
Eh, I was pretty bad over the weekend as well so I haven't talked to the scale for a few days. lol. Good luck with your doc's appt.~!
Thank you ! Tuesday got here so fast !
shebasmudder is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

So today I am up a pound. I think I am not drinking enough water. It is so hard to remember to drink it !

This morning my fbg was 149. The doctor is going to check my a1c tomorrow which is an average of my fbg over the past 3 months. I have no idea how they can tell. I expect my new a1c to be in the 7s. My baseline was 8.1 a month ago. So I expect a big change, even with the decrease in medicine. That means that for the previous 3 months (oct, nov & dec) my fbg was 211 !!

So on Saturday I did some emotional eating. I was home alone and my big doggie escaped from my room and beat up his dad when I was bringing them back in the house. It was awful. I was terrified I couldn't stop them. My heart was pounding for a long time afterwards. When my husband got home, I ate some chips and Little Debbie peanut butter chocolate wafers. My blood sugar shot up to 213 so I took an extra glimepiride that night. I went back to clean eating the next day.

It's late but I am going to make some low carb chicken enchiladas. I found some low carb tortillas that are net 5 carbs each. I'm going to stuff them with cheese, cauli rice, black olives and chicken. I'm also going to make some chocolate cupcakes.

And I'm thinking of going back to having a daily protein shake. I think this stall has to do with me not really eating breakfast. I always have coffee with cream and coconut oil. Then I will eat something like greek yogurt a few hours later. I am not sure it is the best way to start the day.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imgonadoit
Stats: 160/151.0/120
WOE: keto
Start Date: jan 2014
hello!

my those chicken enchiladas sounds scrumptious!!!
I think those protein shakes might be a good idea. Although I'm a total fan of my BPC, I've seen many low carb sources talking about caffeine and blood sugar sensitivity. So perhaps it would be helpful to change things up a bit. Also, personally, I think cream stall my weight loss a bit, so these days I only put butter and sometimes coconut oil in my coffee. No cream. But I think no bodies are equal and we all react differently to different things.
You're doing great and 14lbs is awesome!
imgonadoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:24 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I hate it that you had to binge, but hey, if you have to binge Little Debbie's are the way to go.My hubby works for them the enchiladas sound good. Hope you have a good day today. Can't wait for this afternoon. I am so ready for spring. Enjoy the sunshine!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
hello!

my those chicken enchiladas sounds scrumptious!!!
I think those protein shakes might be a good idea. Although I'm a total fan of my BPC, I've seen many low carb sources talking about caffeine and blood sugar sensitivity. So perhaps it would be helpful to change things up a bit. Also, personally, I think cream stall my weight loss a bit, so these days I only put butter and sometimes coconut oil in my coffee. No cream. But I think no bodies are equal and we all react differently to different things.
You're doing great and 14lbs is awesome!
They were okay. The tortilla did not cook well. If it had been corn, it would have held up in the sauce but I have never seen low carb corn tortillas. I haven't tried Bpc because I honestly don't know if I want butter in my coffee. It is on my list to try but not right away.

Thanks for the kind words !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I hate it that you had to binge, but hey, if you have to binge Little Debbie's are the way to go.My hubby works for them the enchiladas sound good. Hope you have a good day today. Can't wait for this afternoon. I am so ready for spring. Enjoy the sunshine!
Uggh, I wish I actually liked them but I was just being emotional and stuffing my face with sugary crap. It is a lovely day today !
Old 02-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

I didn't weigh or do fbg today because I went to see my doctor today. He is such a cutie and he has a spanish accent which I enjoy very much !

Well, he is very happy that I lost more weight and that my fbg numbers are in the 140s. He predicts my a1c will be in the 6s ! I don't know about that, I think more likely it will be in the 7s. But he will let me know in a few days. He said they have 10 patients now in the protocol and I am in the top 1/3 ! So I know some dude is #1 (you know men lose more weight than women quicker) and that means I am #2 or #3 ! I kind of like that ! This really motivated me so I took Sheba for a walk even though my back is hurting. After I drop everyone off at school in the morning, I plan to take one dog on a walk. I've got 4 dogs so I should do it at least 4 days a week. Right now I can only make it to the railroad track and back but eventually I should be able to go longer.

I set some goals for myself for the next 2 months. I want to be at 199 in 2 months. I plan to lose 2 pounds per week/8 pounds per month. I can't wait to get there ! First, I can't wait to get to the point where I can wear size 18.

I told my doctor I plan to lose weight so I can get off the other glimepiride and one of my blood pressure meds. I really think weight will be the determining factor. So now I need to go see my regular doctor so she can check my cholesterol. I am glad my trial doctor is not actually monitoring my cholesterol since I stopped taking the pravastatin. He said over the phone he wanted me to keep taking it but today he said he wasn't going to check my cholesterol regularly. I will keep track via my other doctor. I believe eating low carb, high fat will improve my cholesterol. I'm going to make a spreadsheet so I can keep track of how I'm doing.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

So today I am back at 216 ! I think my stall was due to eating too much protein. I learned from another diabetes/lchf support group that I should really only have a small amount of protein per day compared to fat. I'm pretty sure that is going to work out well. i have decided to have at least one meal per day just veggies and a fat (like butter, sour cream or cheese).

Yesterday I started off with a protein shake. For lunch I had mashed cauliflower with butter, cheese and sour cream. Then for dinner I made some chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting - all low carb. I ate like 5 of them, they were so yummy.

Something about that recipe spiked me because my fbg was 175 this morning ! Yikes ! I am not sure what it was. maybe the whey protein ? That only has 2 carbs per scoop and I only used 2 scoops for the whole recipe. I ate half the cupcakes. But it might be the protein count. I just found out too much protein will spike me.

I need to get a little more scientific and start counting carbs and protein. I am being too lax and it is messing with my numbers.

I am going to the farmer's market today to get more veggies and cheese.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

I have been having some bad back pain for the past 2 days and that is what is messing with my blood sugar. Today it was 155. My cupcakes are safe ! I can only take tylenol and that doesn't do diddly for me. I did use some muscle cream. It seemed to have gotten better this morning but sitting in the car makes it worse and I drive everyone to school on a daily basis. I may make them take themselves until I feel better.

My weight is 216 so that's okay until I can plug in my numbers into the keto calculator and start counting carbs, fats and proteins, I may not get the weight loss results I want right away. I will be working on that today.

yesterday I had more cupcakes, chicken enchilada and baked zucchini with parmesan.

I went to the farmer's market and got cheese and veggies, butter and cream. I even bought a spaghetti squash so I will try my hand at making low carb spaghetti. I found some sauce that has net 5 carbs for half a cup of sauce. I forget the name but will post it later if that sounds good to anyone.

I may walk a doggie if my back feels better but right now it's not looking good.

There is a lady from my diabetes forum who is getting the same procedure done in March for the same study, but she lives in NY. It will be great to have someone to share experiences with.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:06 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imgonadoit
Stats: 160/151.0/120
WOE: keto
Start Date: jan 2014
Hellooooo!

Sorry to hear that you're having back pains...

Oh I heart farmer's markets!!! Fresh cream and butter sounds so yums
Glad to hear that your blood sugar is under control

You're doing great!!! It really seems like you're really making progress on so many aspects. Hope you have an awesome weekend~!
imgonadoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hellooooo!

Sorry to hear that you're having back pains...

Oh I heart farmer's markets!!! Fresh cream and butter sounds so yums
Glad to hear that your blood sugar is under control

You're doing great!!! It really seems like you're really making progress on so many aspects. Hope you have an awesome weekend~!
thanks, imgonadoit ! My back is better today. I let my husband drive my son and himself this morning. That really helped. I wish i could figure out how to change the car seat so it doesn't hurt.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #71
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Gracie514
Stats: 214.6/198/194.6 SECOND GOAL!!!
WOE: HCG- highest wt 250 lbs!!!
Start Date: 1/1/2014 LC 2/17/14 Hhcg
Glad to hear your back isn't too bad today. Have a great day!!!
Gracie514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

So much to discuss today....

Yesterday I used a keto calculator to adjust what I eat to maximize my weight loss and lower my blood sugar. Then I borrowed a spreadsheet from my diabetes/LCHF group to input what I ate to see how close I am to my goals. I am not too bad but not as good as I would like to be. I had to do some adjusting to the formulas on the spreadsheet to match my goals. When I look at my initial goals, I feel they are too restrictive so today I will go back and recalculate and set my goals more in the middle. Initially I thought I needed super strict goals to lose weight but that is not true.

So today I actually lost a pound ! I am now 215 ! And I was surprised because I ate a LOT yesterday according to all my calculations. I even had a salad with guacamole at Moe's for lunch. I had buttery garlic parmesan wings for dinner that I baked. My husband even loved them. I had cream cheese and lc crackers for a snack.

I slept in today and my fbg was 129 !! That really made my morning ! This is what it is all about. Getting to lower blood sugar numbers.

I am still waiting to hear from doc about my new a1c (which is my average fasting for the past 3 months). I left him a message this morning so hopefully he will call me back today. I will definitely come back and report it. Whatever it is, it will be good and worth a happy dance !
Old 02-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie514 View Post
Glad to hear your back isn't too bad today. Have a great day!!!
Thanks, Gracie's Mom !
Old 02-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

I'm really disappointed that my doctor never called me back with my new a1c. He is on my doodoo list. Now I have to wait the whole weekend. AUGGHH ! the torture !

Well, my weight is up 1 pound today. I have no clue, maybe I had too much salt yesterday, who knows ?

The good news is my fbg is 127 !

I'm waiting on my son right now who is taking a SAT/ACT assessment test to figure out which one he should take for college. All the places he's applying to require one or the other. He should be done in a couple of hours.

Yesterday I made spaghetti squash for the first time ever. The strands did not come out looking like spaghetti or any other pictures I saw of other people doing it. Plus the squash has a sweet taste to it, which I don't really like. The low carb sauce I found was fantastic. I added ground beef, bell peppers, garlic and onions. When I eat it today, I am definitely going to get some shirataki noodles. I'm not even going to try to make noodles out of my zucchini. I found another recipe to use the zucchini's for since I need a low carb snack for today.

You are not going to believe this, but I only had 27g of carbs yesterday ! I was allowing myself 38g but somehow I never got there. And the day before yesterday I had 77g !

I've got to figure out dinner for hubby and the kid this weekend. Maybe I will get hubby turkey thighs. OTOH, if I get fried chicken from Publix, my life will be so much easier. And I know both of them will eat it. I'll make them some mac and cheese, too. Fortunately, I am not a mac n cheese lover. I could make them some homemade hamburger helper. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

So today I am still 216. I've been drinking Pepsi Max for the past 3 days so that's probably the reason for the stall. I am having my last drink today for a minute.

My fbg was 153. I swear, it's like a roller coaster ! I always try to analyze everything but today I just have no answer except I woke up early.

Yesterday I had a total of 34g carbs. I had no idea I could do this. I set my goals like this for the day:

38g Carbs
84g Protein
113g Fat

I have a spreadsheet I got from a fb group I just quit where I log my meals and it calculates how I'm doing.

For the day I eat:

10% Carbs
22.5% Protein
77.5% Fats

I don't always eat everything exactly but so far the only thing I've gone over is the fats. I've only been tracking a couple of days. It helps me plan out my meals and snacks. I track my meals on a tracker, and it breaks down the carbs, fats and proteins so I can put it in my spreadsheet. I can save my meals, too, so I don't have to re-type anything.

Today is a gorgeous day in the ATL. I even took D'Argo for a walk. He did very well and didn't bark at anyone.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I can't wait to hear about your A1C numbers are!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I can't wait to hear about your A1C numbers are!
Me, too ! My doc called me today to say he still hasn't gotten them back yet.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

So today I gained 2 pounds !

I am so disappointed. I am at a total loss because I find my new diet so easy to stick to. I had a total of 30g of carbs yesterday. I am doing awesome with my eating. So why is the scale messing with me ? It's not right.

I need some keto experts to help me figure this out.

My bg was 155 but after breakfast it was 119 with no meds.

I spent half of my day at the V.A. with hubby. After 3 hours I was starving ! I told him when I'm at home, I eat pretty often. You can't take me anywhere ! I probably need to keep protein bars in my purse as a back-up.

I just found out there is a 4-6 week backup in the GA insurance licensing office. I feel like I have been waiting on my license FOREVER ! I took my Public Adjuster's test December 20th and sent my paperwork to my company the first week in January. I have had to pay for fingerprinting TWICE because they are so bleeping slow and now I get an email stating I may have to pay again if they can't finish my application before the fingerprinting expires.

I am anxious to get to work already !
Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope you can get the NK thing down. It took me a while but I finally figured it out. I feel like I kind of do a hybrid of Atkins/NK at this point. I needed to go down on my calories to get better weight loss results. My plan is to eat totally NK when I lose my weight.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hope you can get the NK thing down. It took me a while but I finally figured it out. I feel like I kind of do a hybrid of Atkins/NK at this point. I needed to go down on my calories to get better weight loss results. My plan is to eat totally NK when I lose my weight.
Me, too ! But with the weight gain, I am not happy with it at all.

I eat under 1500 calories per day. To maintain my current weight, I would have to eat over 2000. The first day I counted, I had 2186 calories and 73g carbs. The next day I lost a pound. That was typical eating. So I don't get why this is not working.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebasmudder View Post
Me, too ! But with the weight gain, I am not happy with it at all.

I eat under 1500 calories per day. To maintain my current weight, I would have to eat over 2000. The first day I counted, I had 2186 calories and 73g carbs. The next day I lost a pound. That was typical eating. So I don't get why this is not working.
Is TOM due? It could be many things. Water in your body can vary day to day by 2-4 pounds. Don't sweat it! Just keep up what you're doing and the scale will eventually cooperate. Maybe only weigh yourself every few days or once a week to avoid those little peaks and valleys?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:45 AM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but you may need to up your calories.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Is TOM due? It could be many things. Water in your body can vary day to day by 2-4 pounds. Don't sweat it! Just keep up what you're doing and the scale will eventually cooperate. Maybe only weigh yourself every few days or once a week to avoid those little peaks and valleys?
Not yet ! I have a good week and half to go. I'm too obsessed not to weigh everyday !

Quote:
I know it sounds counterintuitive, but you may need to up your calories.
I agree, cfine. I may need more food. Maybe less protein and more fat. I need some really greasy recipes -

Chicken wings cooked in garlic and butter is a good one but my hubby ate a lot of them. Still, I may just get some more later this week.

And I probably should have a fat bomb everyday. But they are so filling I feel full thinking about it.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Good news ! I am down a pound ! Now I just need to get rid of those last 2 sneaky pounds so I can be back on track.

My fbg was 159. Before bed I was 109. My diabetes is fighting me and all the changes I am making. Such a rotten disease.

This just makes me feel I don't have the device. If I did, I could eat what I want, & I would be losing weight all the time. If I can only process fats and proteins, then I shouldn't have high sugars or weight gains.

If it turns out I do have it, I will be so shocked.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

I am down one more pound ! One more to go in order to be back on track. I'm going to get all my water in today for sure.

My fbg this morning was 181 ! I ran out of test strips so I used my old meter. Also, I only ate pickles for dinner last night. I did some cooking yesterday for my husband and myself but by evening time I had some running around to do and I never made myself dinner. My hunger level did not even rise enough for me to make anything. I should have had at least some greek yogurt but I forgot about it. I don't even feel hungry that much so it's hard to eat. Still, it's important that I eat more. I went too long without any fat or protein and my liver dumped a bunch of sugar into my bloodstream this morning. Not a good thing.

The good news is my son is going to go low carb with me. I am so excited because now I can try out different recipes on him. He's not really overweight but he thinks he is. This is my opportunity to teach him how to eat better.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #86

Quote:
I am down one more pound ! One more to go in order to be back on track. I'm going to get all my water in today for sure.

My fbg this morning was 181 ! I ran out of test strips so I used my old meter. Also, I only ate pickles for dinner last night. I did some cooking yesterday for my husband and myself but by evening time I had some running around to do and I never made myself dinner. My hunger level did not even rise enough for me to make anything. I should have had at least some greek yogurt but I forgot about it. I don't even feel hungry that much so it's hard to eat. Still, it's important that I eat more. I went too long without any fat or protein and my liver dumped a bunch of sugar into my bloodstream this morning. Not a good thing.

The good news is my son is going to go low carb with me. I am so excited because now I can try out different recipes on him. He's not really overweight but he thinks he is. This is my opportunity to teach him how to eat better.
Great job on the pound! How old is your son? That's awesome that he will low-carb with you. My son is 14, 6'-1", 165 lbs. and is constantly on the move. He is now lifting 3x per week after school to prepare for football. Now that basketball is over, he started baseball practices and will soon be starting track. The kid seriously never stops. He does eat pretty healthy, not low-carb, but not a lot of junk. Although he does love his cereal. He's now on a protein kick because of lifting. I've been buying him protein bars. Would love to have his metabolism!!!
1/5/14 GOAL #1 BACK TO ONEDERLAND 3/4/14 MADE IT
3/4/14 GOAL #2 194.6 (20 LBS EVICTED FOR 2014)
TAKING IT ONE DAY AT A TIME
Old 02-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
Quote:

Hi. I've been reading your journal and we have some similar problems. I thought you might enjoy my crackers, I've never had them raise my blood sugar and I like them (and others like them) a lot. I've posted it so that if you are interested it is here and if you aren't please accept my apolgies for posting where I shouldn't have.

Crackers

1/2 c. almond meal (flour)
1 c. sesame seed
1/2 c. flax seed
2 T. psyllium husks
1/2 t. salt
1.5 c. water

Measure out and stir in bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes or so. Spread thinly on Silpats (or on parchment paper) on two cookie sheets. Cut with pizza cutter into squares. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes, pull out and flip and bake again for about 45 min. at reduced temperature. Let cool and break into crackers. If very thin, may not need so long. Store in closed containers.

1 carb or less per each.

These can burn easily so put them in for the first 30 minutes and then check. Once they’ve been flipped turn the oven down to 250° and leave them for another 30 minutes and then turn the oven off but leave the crackers in if they need to crisp up some more.

Store in an air tight container.

I sometimes add dry Hidden Valley Ranch, or garlic/onion powder. If there is a cracker flavor you like should work. I’m thinking about using chicken broth one day for the water but will probably have to figure on eating quicker or refrigerating.

Keep on keeping on!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks, cfine ! I have it on my list to get at the beginning of the month.

I just had to come in here to vent. I belong to a diabetic forum where I get compensated to post regularly and I really like my free stuff.

But doggone it, if it isn't a bunch of folks on insulin who claim they can eat whatever they want, so long as they bolus for it and they make me sick ! I just want to scream at all of them. Isn't sugar the reason they have to shoot up insulin 3-4 times a day !?! I just don't get how that is okay ?

And I know I am being really judgmental but it pisses me off when someone is asking about a low carb recipe and the insulin shooters jump in and say, I'd rather have the "real" thing. Hello, since when is sugar a real food ?? AUUGGHHH. I can't stand them. I just tolerate them for my honorarium.

It's amazing how we let our quality of life diminish so that we can go on stuffing ourselves with the same crap that makes us ill in the first place ! I struggle everyday to take my meds and I have 11 to take. It is no fun at all. I can't even imagine having to give myself a shot before every meal and then again at night time just so I could eat "real" candy. It just makes no sense to me.

That doesn't mean I have lead a healthy lifestyle. But I purposely refused insulin as long as I still had pancreatic function so that I could learn to change my eating habits. The meds I am on force you to eat low carb. Otherwise, they don't work. I'm not better than them but it seems like a destructive mindset to have - the ability to cover whatever you want to eat. I think insulin is fine for T1s and those people whose pancreas is burned out but for T2s - it is just a dangerous tool.

Okay, rant off !
I agree with your rant. If eating certain foods has caused our problem then doesn't it make sense to quit eating those foods instead of introducing something else into the mix. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking insulin but not if eliminating the foods will prevent it.

Carolyn
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good news ! I am down a pound ! Now I just need to get rid of those last 2 sneaky pounds so I can be back on track.

My fbg was 159. Before bed I was 109. My diabetes is fighting me and all the changes I am making. Such a rotten disease.

This just makes me feel I don't have the device. If I did, I could eat what I want, & I would be losing weight all the time. If I can only process fats and proteins, then I shouldn't have high sugars or weight gains.

If it turns out I do have it, I will be so shocked.
Welcome to the crazy world of diabetes . Just when you think you have it figured out, it changes the rules on us.
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Great job on the pound! How old is your son? That's awesome that he will low-carb with you. My son is 14, 6'-1", 165 lbs. and is constantly on the move. He is now lifting 3x per week after school to prepare for football. Now that basketball is over, he started baseball practices and will soon be starting track. The kid seriously never stops. He does eat pretty healthy, not low-carb, but not a lot of junk. Although he does love his cereal. He's now on a protein kick because of lifting. I've been buying him protein bars. Would love to have his metabolism!!!
Thanks ! He'll be 17 in May. Wow, your son is TALL ! But then so is your hubby, right ? DS is 5'11". We are very nerdy over here but I had him in sports at the Y and the park all his life. He decided his favorite sport is Ultimate Frisbee. I didn't know it was a real sport until I saw it on ESPN. This year he is Varsity. At least it keeps him running !

I wish I had a young metabolism, too !