cfine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shebasmudder
Stats: 230/207/160
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 1/15/14
Today my fasting glucose was 140. I'm struggling with dawn phenomenon because I was at 114 before bed.

I decided I am not going to weigh during TOM, it's too much of a rollercoaster. I'll post my weight sometime next week when it is all over.

DS and I are working on getting ready for college. I made a spreadsheet for him last night with 10 schools, deadlines, fees, etc. He's applied to one summer engineering program and the other one's application should be ready next week. He met with his school counselor yesterday who told him he finished the highest high school math they have so he should cross enroll at GA Tech next year to take more advanced math. I looked into it but he will need to take the SAT soon. I wanted him to take a prep course so he would have some advantages first. I don't want to rush him because he has too get above 700 in everything in order to go to the schools he wants. And he has a choice between the ACT or SAT. We are going to a Princeton Review program later this month which will help him determine which test he will score higher on.

There's so much to do with this kid, it's like a full time job ! He had to get 2 teacher recommendations and 1 from the counselor for the summer program. How about both teachers waited until the last day and the counselor never turned his in ? I've contacted the counselor by phone and email for the past 2 months about it ! The program extended the deadline but I didn't tell him that. I caught him on Monday on the phone and chewed him up nicely. He turned it in within an hour. Who does that ? When I was in school, my counselor was telling me what programs to apply for and so was my math teacher. I don't want to bash teachers, but so far I am disappointed in his counselor.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Dog slobber...yuck! Lol!
Yes, and this dog is a big slobbery dog. He weighs 85 pounds the last time I checked. He has those big jowls that hang. He can't bring his big self to jump on my bed so everyone has to give him a boost. He's sweet as pie, though.

This is him as a puppy:

The dog in my avatar is his mom ! So he has some interesting genes.
shebasmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I love dogs! I have two chihuahuas that are rotten to the core!
Old 02-06-2014, 03:55 AM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/186/179-mini goal
WOE: hcg 2.0
OMGoodness, you're son is getting ready for college?!! Time, please stop...it's moving too fast!! How old is he now? It is very stressful but I see you're very organized and preparing ahead of time to give your son the best choices. Wow, your son is very smart to now be preparing to take math class at college level! I'm overwhelmed trying to decide what HS to apply to for my son, LOL. I can't even think how I'll be when college time comes.
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I love dogs! I have two chihuahuas that are rotten to the core!
Oh, my ! I bet they are your babies ! I have four big dogs, pit bull mixes. Sheba is a german shepherd/pit bull mix. She is the queen.

BTW, I made the protein shake for my son and he loved it ! I had to put sugar in his with vanilla extract and cream. I was glad he drank it all !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shari View Post
OMGoodness, you're son is getting ready for college?!! Time, please stop...it's moving too fast!! How old is he now? It is very stressful but I see you're very organized and preparing ahead of time to give your son the best choices. Wow, your son is very smart to now be preparing to take math class at college level! I'm overwhelmed trying to decide what HS to apply to for my son, LOL. I can't even think how I'll be when college time comes.
He is 16 and I feel stressed that I only have a year and a half left with him. Where did my baby go !?! Going through all these steps with him is giving me flashbacks. Stuff I had long forgotten about being his age. I'm very excited for him and his future.

Are you going to send your son to private school ? I had a friend who suggested that to me but my son did not want to leave his friends who he had been in school with since kindergarden.

Last edited by shebasmudder; 02-06-2014 at 08:16 AM..
Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

So today my fasting glucose is 146. I have terrible cramps from TOM and the tylenol does not really do such a good job. I took 2 before bed and this morning I had horrible pain again.

I am so glad for my coffee and coconut oil. I have not had any bad back pains or constipation since I started it. I'm glad I don't have to take magnesium supplements, too. I already take 4 pills 3 times a day and adding just one more seems overwhelming.

I'm going to try some new recipes today. Don't know if I will get to all of them but one in particular is for hair dye. I don't like to use commercial dyes because my hair is already thin and they seem to weaken my hair. I have a lot of gray I am just not ready for. I am tired of the whole henna process and I am sick of red hair. So I read about black walnuts and ordered some black walnut powder. I'll post how it comes out when I use it.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Today fasting glucose is 144. Still feeling crampy but not as bad as yesterday.

I ended up making some ginger beef with broccoli slaw for lunch. I had a salad for dinner. I also made some low carb lemon cheesecake which my son loved.

Today I had eggs with cheese, onions, bell peppers and sausage for breakfast. For lunch I will have more ginger beef. For dinner I have some chicken breasts and veggies in the crockpot.

I am finding it easier to follow low carb now as long as I have stuff prepared in advance. I tend to eat often and don't let myself feel too hungry. That's when I tend too grab something quick and pre-packaged.

Nothing else is going on today. Maybe I will get to the hair dye.

Last edited by shebasmudder; 02-07-2014 at 11:06 AM..
Old 02-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

The war with TOM is over !

Fasting glucose is 112 !

And my weight is 217.0 so I lost another pound and am a potty break from another one !

Everyone loved the chicken and veggies yesterday. I didn't even make a lot because I never know if the guys are going to like it or not. The recipe was so simple: cream of chicken soup, bag of veggies, paprika, garlic, cayenne pepper, chopped onion, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, a little water and of course, chicken breasts. It sat in the crockpot on low for about 5 hours. Today I will just have leftovers.

I joined a diabetes, low carb support group on fb and they are soooo helpful. It's cool to find people on the same page as you.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congrats on the weight loss. Did you try the hair dye yet?
Old 02-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Congrats on the weight loss. Did you try the hair dye yet?
Thank you ! I tried the black walnut hair dye last night. I boiled some water and steeped half the powder for several hours. Then I mixed half of that with conditioner and let it sit. I then applied it for 1 hour. It constantly dripped and was very annoying. When I rinsed it out, I had zero color change.

Here's what I'm going to do. The rest of the mix I will let sit for a few days and try again. If that doesn't work, I will order the walnut shells. The powder I got may be too old to produce dye. So I'm not giving up.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

So today my bs is 130. No clue why.

But I dropped another pound ! I am now 216 ! Next week I am supposed to see my doctor. It will be almost 1 month and I have lost 14 pounds and cut one of my meds in half. I'm pretty happy with my progress.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am happy for you. I remember being so pleased with myself when I got to cut down on my meds. It's such a feeling of accomplishment. Congrats!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Thans, cfine !

Today my weight is still 216. I didn't get my fasting glucose this morning. But last night I was 119. Not too shabby.

Another snowstorm is coming tomorrow night so I need to plan ahead for the next two days just in case.

Off to Pinterest to review my recipes.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:47 AM   #45
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/186/179-mini goal
WOE: hcg 2.0
Congrats on the loss, you're doing fantastic!! Your doc will surely be happy too with your progress I heard they made sure to close schools/businesses to make sure it's not like the last storm. Hopefully this helped.
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shari View Post
Congrats on the loss, you're doing fantastic!! Your doc will surely be happy too with your progress I heard they made sure to close schools/businesses to make sure it's not like the last storm. Hopefully this helped.
Thanks, Shari ! Yes, the city has shut down ! I went to the grocery store yesterday and all the meat and chicken were pretty much gone. The lines were horrendous. School is closed today and tomorrow. My doc called to cancel my appointment. I doubt anything will be open Thursday the way they are talking.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

This morning my fbg was 130 and I am still 216. I am very happy with my numbers. At some point my morning numbers will go down. I have to let my body do what it needs to.

There's a thread on cholesterol here I found interesting since that's another problem I have. I'm taking pravastatin which supposedly does not have the side effects that simvastatin does (which are horrific ! I had to stop taking it). My cholesterol ratio is still horrible (6.2) even though I have been taking it for over 6 months. At the end of the day, I have 4 pills to take and taking that last pill really seems like too damn much. I take 12 pills per day and most are pretty large. So it's the one pill I haven't taken in a week. I don't see the point of taking it if it makes no difference. My doctor wants me to keep taking it but frankly, I am not sure I want to. I need to look up my labs from last year to see what kind of improvement I've made, if any. Plus I have been eating so differently lately. I'd rather see if that helps my numbers.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:06 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

This morning my fasting glucose was 154 ! Yikes ! It had to be those garlic potato chips my husband brought home. They were Lay's and I had more than a few. Sigh.

My weight is still 216.

So I looked up my old labs and I have actually been taking pravastatin for a year now. I was surprised at how little my numbers improved. And my HDL got worse ! So I did a little research, and am thinking about taking Ubiquinol. I'm beginning to believe that the pravastatin is why I have zero energy. I've been telling my doctors that I always feel tired and have no energy but no one has connected the dots.

I think since I have radically changed how I eat and especially having more avocados this month, that this should have a positive effect on my cholesterol numbers. I just don't see the point in taking it. I am not going to say anything to my doc until I see my new numbers.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I take Ubiquinol. I will never take a statin. They are horrible for you! Not only does it make you feel like crap, but it strips your brain of cholesterol. Horrible stuff!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I take Ubiquinol. I will never take a statin. They are horrible for you! Not only does it make you feel like crap, but it strips your brain of cholesterol. Horrible stuff!

Oh, I am so glad ! I feel like I am making the right decision. What brand do you take and how much per day ?
Old 02-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Today I am still 216. I didn't eat much yesterday but honestly I don't feel like it. I probably need more fat in my diet, too.

My fbg was 146. I need it come down already !

Yesterday I had some coffee and 2 sausage patties for breakfast. I made some sugar free, grain free cinnamon rolls which came out so good my teenage son ate half of them ! I had a smothered chicken breast for dinner because I don't think I even had lunch.

I'm thinking about mayo on some ham and cheese slices right now. Maybe with a little bacon....
Old 02-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm not sure what the brand name is. I get it at Costco and I take one per day. Honestly though, my cholesterol and triglycerides got better with eating LC. I just take the supplement for better health.

Anything with bacon and mayo is better IMHO.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm not sure what the brand name is. I get it at Costco and I take one per day. Honestly though, my cholesterol and triglycerides got better with eating LC. I just take the supplement for better health.

Anything with bacon and mayo is better IMHO.
Thanks, cfine ! I have it on my list to get at the beginning of the month.

I just had to come in here to vent. I belong to a diabetic forum where I get compensated to post regularly and I really like my free stuff.

But doggone it, if it isn't a bunch of folks on insulin who claim they can eat whatever they want, so long as they bolus for it and they make me sick ! I just want to scream at all of them. Isn't sugar the reason they have to shoot up insulin 3-4 times a day !?! I just don't get how that is okay ?

And I know I am being really judgmental but it pisses me off when someone is asking about a low carb recipe and the insulin shooters jump in and say, I'd rather have the "real" thing. Hello, since when is sugar a real food ?? AUUGGHHH. I can't stand them. I just tolerate them for my honorarium.

It's amazing how we let our quality of life diminish so that we can go on stuffing ourselves with the same crap that makes us ill in the first place ! I struggle everyday to take my meds and I have 11 to take. It is no fun at all. I can't even imagine having to give myself a shot before every meal and then again at night time just so I could eat "real" candy. It just makes no sense to me.

That doesn't mean I have lead a healthy lifestyle. But I purposely refused insulin as long as I still had pancreatic function so that I could learn to change my eating habits. The meds I am on force you to eat low carb. Otherwise, they don't work. I'm not better than them but it seems like a destructive mindset to have - the ability to cover whatever you want to eat. I think insulin is fine for T1s and those people whose pancreas is burned out but for T2s - it is just a dangerous tool.

Okay, rant off !
Old 02-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imgonadoit
Stats: 160/151.0/120
WOE: keto
Start Date: jan 2014
hi shebasmudder!

my your dog is soooooo cute!! i want to have a dog so badly but I just can't have that kind of commitment right now..
imgonadoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgonadoit View Post
hi shebasmudder!

my your dog is soooooo cute!! i want to have a dog so badly but I just can't have that kind of commitment right now..
Thank you, imgonadoit ! I have four doggies which are a huge responsibility. Thanks for visiting !
Old 02-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

So today I am still 216 and my fbg was 163 !

I swear I didn't eat anything bad yesterday. I tried to eat more fat so before I went to bed, I had some "strawberry frozen yogurt". I put 5 frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup full fat greek yogurt and 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream plus stevia to taste. I whipped it up in my ninja and it tastes just like frozen yogurt.

I have been at 216 for 5 days now so even though I get full fast, I am trying to add more fat.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I completely understand your rant! I feel exactly the same way. It makes me so mad at our federal government for keeping on promoting the standard American diet. It's insanity!!

I'm sure that scale will move soon.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I completely understand your rant! I feel exactly the same way. It makes me so mad at our federal government for keeping on promoting the standard American diet. It's insanity!!

I'm sure that scale will move soon.
Thanks, cfine ! I feel like insulin manufacturers are making a huge profit off of our disease and should be promoting healthier eating. But, my husband was saying there are always going to be the people who insist on living their life their way. Like the cancer patient who still smokes or the alcoholic with liver disease who still drinks.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

So today I am still 216 and fbg was 149. I kind of expected my glucose to be more considering hubby and I went out to Applebee's last night for Valentine's Day and I had several honey barbecue wings for the appetizer. The crust was think and the sauce was sugary. But then for dinner I had the portobello mushroom chicken with steamed broccoli (instead of potatoes). It was okay. There was a sprinkling of parmesan on top. If there had been more parmesan, it would have been better.

I go see my doc on Tuesday so he will give me a reality check on my progress and expectations. I'm anxious for my numbers to go down. I hope he tells me that everything is what he expected.

Now that that the weather has changed, I should start walking a dog. I heard it is going to be 70 this week. Crazy, right ? All the snow has not melted yet from our yard.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imgonadoit
Stats: 160/151.0/120
WOE: keto
Start Date: jan 2014
Eh, I was pretty bad over the weekend as well so I haven't talked to the scale for a few days. lol. Good luck with your doc's appt.~!
imgonadoit is offline   Reply With Quote