LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy
Stats: 215/198/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 21, 2014
Being Happy!

It's New Year's Eve - what a perfect time to make some changes!

Every year, my resolution is to lose weight. Every year, I fail. A lifetime of bad habits are to blame. I'm an emotional eater. I'm also a couch potato. I'm beyond fortunate to have good health despite my poor choices, but I don't want to push my luck.

In the past I had all sorts of excuses as to why I couldn't succeed on a diet or regular exercise plan. Some of them legitimately did make it difficult to follow a healthy routine. But I've made a lot of changes in my life lately in terms of my career and lifestyle, so those old excuses no longer apply!

That means it's time to get serious!

I'm trying a new way of eating. Counting and measuring stuff makes me grimace, so I'm just going to start with modifying my food choices. More veggies and less bread will be my motto. I'll also be limiting the amount of red meat I eat in favor of healthier choices.

This time around I have some extra motivation, because a family member who's also ~60lbs overweight wants to try this new way of eating with me. So it's not just my health I'm trying to improve, but a loved one's as well. I would love to be able to make a positive difference in someone else's life as well as my own!

In addition to the food changes, I'm going to make a real effort to get more active. I've got a somewhat ambitious workout routine all planned out. It should get me through the winter. Once the weather warms up I'll likely change things up so I can spend more time being outdoors.

My ultimate goal is just to get to a healthy body weight, and I want 2014 to be the year!
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Oh, I suppose I should also add that I'm in my late 20s, female and weigh around 210lbs...maybe a bit more now post-Christmas. 144lbs would be a healthy weight for me. I'd ultimately like to reach 139 just because I can't even remember the last time I was in the 130s!
Old 01-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Weight:
213lbs

Exercise:
35 minutes of stretching, situps, hand weights, etc.
25 minutes of jogging

Food:
Breakfast: 2 oranges and 3 glasses of water (drank before and after my workout but I'm just adding it in here)
Lunch: Mixed greens salad with a boiled egg and a glass of 1% milk
Snack: Sliced banana with chocolate sauce and sliced almonds and a cup of tea with coconut oil
Dinner: TBA

Last edited by Happy; 01-01-2014 at 12:23 PM..
Old 01-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

I don't see how I can edit my previous post, so am adding to it here.

Dinner: Cabbage soup and yogurt with a few chopped pecans on top
Old 01-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

I dutifully got up while it was still pitch black outside to do my workout, but I was so sore from yesterday (crunches) that it was a pitiful attempt. I walked for half an hour, did some stretching and a few pushups. That was about it.

Breakfast: Frozen raspberries with yogurt and a sprinkle of sliced almonds*

Lunch: Steamed cabbage, carrots and turkey with onions and mushrooms

*I'm making sure I don't overdo the nuts, but even just a few add a nice crunch and fill me up
Old 01-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Other food today:
A banana with peanut butter and honey, a glass of milk, a few strawberries and turkey-vegetable soup/stew. I ate more peanut butter than I should have (probably 200 calories worth).

For the most part I'm eating good healthy food. I'm also avoiding breads and pastas, although I did put a small amount of whole wheat pasta in the turkey soup today. I'm not overeating and most importantly, I'm not snacking late at night. Hopefully all the little changes will add up.

I was down 1lb today.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I'm still on track - just haven't felt like writing it down here. I'm eating a ton of vegetables and have cut way back on breads, pastas, potatoes and rice. I'm enjoying experimenting with cauliflower as a rice and mashed potato substitute. Later this week I'm going to try a "potato" salad recipe I found.

Tomorrow will be another running day. I feel like I should be spending more time lifting weights and strength training in general. I can definitely up the amount of exercise I'm getting - no excuse not to. I should also be drinking more water but that will probably come naturally if I'm working out.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

This morning's run jarred my back. An old injury is acting up despite plenty of stretching pre and post workout. I'm hoping some rest tomorrow will get it back to normal. So far my back is just stiff but when it goes out completely, I'm barely able to move for WEEKS at a time. My motto for the next little while is NO SUDDEN MOVEMENTS!

Today I made a point of drinking water. I had some pasta and a spring roll with lunch but cut way back on dinner portion sizes and calories so feel ok about it. I've bought a spaghetti squash and will try making "spaghetti" and meatballs one of these days soon. I can't believe I've gone this long without ever cooking a spaghetti squash! The other day I tried substituting cauliflower for rice to make fried "rice" and I loved it so much that it's what I'll be doing from now on. It would be great if I had similar results with the spaghetti squash!

Now I just need to find a good recipe for healthy pizza...
Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Pizza: I made the crust out of cauliflower that had been through the food processor, an egg and low fat shredded mozzarella cheese. It was a big hit! If I go easy on the cheese and add healthier toppings (no pepperoni) then there's no reason it can't be a guilt-free meal! FINALLY!

When I woke up today my back felt pretty good but throughout the day it stiffened and is sore. I don't think there's any way I can do my workout tomorrow. I've done lots of stretching today but until my muscles loosen up I'd better not push my luck.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

My back is good again, thank goodness! I'll get back to my running and other exercises tomorrow morning.

Today I spent way too much time in the kitchen! I tried a new meatball recipe that was delicious and discovered I absolutely love spaghetti squash. I'll be using it in the place of pasta often. For dinner I made a "potato" salad out of cauliflower instead of potatoes - it was very good! But I also made a pasta salad which isn't exactly on my diet plan. Compared to the way I've always eaten it's not that big of a screw up, but I'm going to be mindful to do better the next few days.

I've been at this new way of eating for a week and have lost 2lbs. I'm keeping track on my calendar so I can see how I'm doing from week to week. Otherwise I seem to be too short-sighted and get discouraged when I don't see a change from day to day. I'd also like to add I've lost weight while eating pizza, Chinese food and all sorts of other goodies! I'm just finding healthier ways of making them. It's actually a lot of fun!

Last edited by Happy; 01-08-2014 at 04:41 PM..
Old 01-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

I fell back into old habits a little today (ate a few slices of bread and dessert), although I didn't do nearly as much damage as I normally would so I doubt it will make much difference on the scale. It just reinforces the fact that if I don't plan my meals in advance, I tend to make poorer choices. I've been very busy with work the past couple of days but I need to remember to balance that with diet and exercise. I'm overdue for another run!
Old 01-11-2014, 01:46 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
Keep up the good work!

I just wanted to comment because I was over 200 lbs, tried to lose year after year...I'm here to tell ya, it CAN be done! I'm at 145 right now, my goal is 140 but like you, I'd looove to see 139!

It won't always be easy but it will be worth it!
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Hi kjwalsh, I stopped checking in here so didn't see your post until now. Thank you for the encouragement and congratulations on your weight loss! I love hearing about other people's success stories - it's very inspiring.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

I found myself really struggling with JUDDD and fell off the wagon...yet again. My main problem was that I would get really hungry by nighttime and, if I didn't force myself to go to bed with a growling stomach, I'd eat and sabotage myself. My weight loss has stalled and quite frankly, I'm surprised I haven't seen a gain after the way I've been eating lately. (I've been making an effort to eat plenty of vegetables and drink more water, but I was also eating quite a lot of junk.)

I've decided to try low carb after reading about it. I'm still trying to work out what sorts of limits I ought to set for myself in terms of daily net carbs, but am optimistic this can work. Reprogramming myself to not think of fat as being evil and terribly unhealthy will take some getting used to, but I'm trying. I started this a few days ago and already my hunger has diminished, so it feels like I'm off to a good start.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:38 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
I had trouble with JUDDD too and there are different variations. Low carb seems to be working best for me right now even tho I'm up a few pounds since my last post. Went on vacation...

Keep that optimism! and keep checking it ~ it helps!

kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

That's interesting! I may try JUDDD again at some point but right now I'm getting myself pumped for Atkins. I did it for a few days but the timing was just bad - was in the midst of kitchen renos so couldn't cook anything and everything was chaotic! The good news is I learned how to make some quick and easy "no cook" induction meals when I'm in a bind.

Starting Monday, I'm going to get serious about induction. I kept wondering what on earth I could eat other than big chunks of meat, but I should have known Pinterest would come to the rescue. I've been pinning induction recipes for a good part of the evening and am excited to try them out once I have my kitchen back.

I keep worrying I'm going to mess up even when I'm trying to adhere to the induction rules. I feel like I would be wise to stick to the same few meals for the first little while so it won't be so overwhelming...then I can branch out as I get more comfortable with the program. But I must say, I'm excited to get started. A diet plan that actually allows me to eat is a novel idea!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Induction starts tomorrow!

I've collected some great recipes from around the web and have stocked my freezer with plenty of chicken, beef and shrimp. I bought some full fat salad dressings, Frank's red hot sauce and a couple different kinds of cheese. I already had quite a few things on hand that can be used for induction as well, like coconut oil, eggs, bacon, frozen and fresh veggies and so on.

Getting my head around the rules of induction has been confusing - I didn't realize the older Atkins book and the newer one are so drastically different in certain ways. That explains why I've seen some people (who were going by the new book) talking about eating foods on induction that I didn't think were allowed (because I was going by the older edition). But I think I've finally got a clearer picture of what it's all about!

I've seen a number of people say that the Atkins "low carb" products can stall weight loss, so I've decided I'm not going to touch them. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies, so that's probably going to be one of the biggest adjustments. I'm also not a big meat eater, but I will manage. I'm hoping I'll see some decent results with Atkins that will help me stick with the induction phase far beyond two weeks.

My kitchen still isn't quite usable! I should have it back by tomorrow afternoon, thank goodness. (And renovations seemed like such a good idea at the time...) I don't expect I'll have much of a chance to try the new recipes I've found tomorrow, but I've got some quick and easy meal ideas to tide me over.

So anyway...I guess I will check back in tomorrow. I'm excited to get started!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

First day of induction is done! It went well and I came in at around 15g net carbs for the day. I've been doing a lot of reading about nutrition, Atkins, the multivitamin I'm taking, ketosis and just weight loss in general. It's come as a shock to see how little I actually know, but I feel like I've learned a ton of good, useful info over the past few weeks.

Tonight I took my measurements, which I haven't done in years. I knew it was bad but...yuck, seeing those numbers made it hit home. But I'm glad I've done it because I know the scale only tells part of the story - seeing inches melt away will also keep me motivated. Part of me wants to take a few photos, too, but I haven't worked up the courage for that just yet!

Tomorrow I can finally get back in the kitchen so am looking forward to that. Right now monitoring my carbs is extremely time-consuming. I almost have to be a bit obsessive because I've honestly never in my life paid attention to carbs before, so I'm having to measure and look up absolute everything. Hopefully it will become more intuitive as time goes on.

Guess that's it for now. Will check in again sometime in the near future.