LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/130/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
He Must Increase, I Must Decrease

I am not a very good or consistent journaler, but I thought I'd have a go at setting up a jpournal so I can look back over 2014 and see how far I've come. So, here goes.

I am 46 years old and I have been doing this soooo many years, sooo many times (SIX to be exact). I am a textbook yo-yo dieter.

I'm really good at losing weight; I ALWAYS make goal. But then, two three years later, the fat is back again ~ and then some. And each time it gets harder than the time before. I am determined to make this time my LAST time. I have figured out what my mistakes were in the past and I am determined not to allow it to happen again.

Mistake #1: Thinking I am "done" when I reach goal. When I reach goal, I have to keep tracking my food and measuring my portions, even as I allow my overall calories/carbs to increase somewhat. The attitude that "I have arrived and my diet is done" is the reason I go back to my old ways. I will be "on a diet" for the rest of my life because it's not a diet, it's a permanent new lifestyle. Period.

Mistake #2: No longer having goals beyond reaching goal weight. When I get to my goal - this time - I need to replace diet/weight loss challenges and goals with fitness challenges and goals, track them with a cute little tracker I can add to my siggy, and find some fitness software which has functions specific to muscle gain and fitness activity. My current software is fabulous but it won't allow me to have a goal to GAIN weight, for example, or enter specific weight training data.

Mistake #3: Leaving my accountability group. -- I have to keep posting my ongoing progress with an accountability group. I am never leaving my two favorite diet boards, LCF and 3FC, ever again. I will probably switch my focus to fitness and maintenance threads, but I am not going away again.

Some of my goals are NOT diet/fitness related. I am in Spanish classes. I am enrolling in piano lessons. I am re-learning algebra in preparation for calculus and later, physics classes. I am in two different Bible studies and I am committed to doing more volunteer work this year for my church. Maybe I can post here in my journal about some of that stuff, too.

Last edited by nikki; 12-30-2013 at 06:46 PM..
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoxyRoller
Stats: 315/259/200 next weigh 8/1/14
WOE: Calorie controlled, average 75 carbs per day
Start Date: December 30, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
I am a textbook yo-yo dieter.
I hear ya and I'm right there with you on that! If I add up all the pounds I've lost and regained I'd have two more people sitting next to me!

Quote:
I'm really good at losing weight; I ALWAYS make goal. But then, two three years later, the fat is back again ~ and then some. And each time it gets harder than the time before. I am determined to make this time my LAST time. I have figured out what my mistakes were in the past and I am determined not to allow it to happen again.
I think we're related!

I so understand where you're coming from. I really like the way you list the "mistakes", it is so true. Here's to a great 2014!
RoxyRoller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunny_1
Stats: 180/170.2/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 22, 2013
This is my 5th time doing Atkins. In every previous case, I would get down to around 150 lbs. and couldn't get any lower. So I would eventually give up trying, and the weight would all come back.

Now I look back at being down to 151 pounds twice in the last 4 years and can't believe I just blew it all because I thought I was in a stall and was discouraged that the weight wouldn't come off fast enough.

This time around my GOAL is 150, at which point I officially leave the "overweight" category and enter the normal BMI range.

And if I can get down to 150, I will be happy to stay there the rest of my life. Any loss beyond that will just be a glorious bonus!

Last edited by Sunny_1; 12-31-2013 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: correct spelling error
Sunny_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_1 View Post
This time around my GOAL is 150, at which point I officially leave the "overweight" category and enter the normal BMI range.

And if I can get down to 150, I will be happy to stay there the rest of my life. Any loss beyond that will just be a glorious bonus!
Yes! Maybe that's where your body wants to be.

...And once you reach that goal, you can always set other non-scale goals, such as exercising three days a week, or taking a new yoga class, or hiking a difficult trail, or training to walk the Three Day Breast Cancer Walk. Etc.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

...And once you reach that goal, you can always set other non-scale goals, such as exercising three days a week, or taking a new yoga class, or hiking a difficult trail, or training to walk the Three Day Breast Cancer Walk. Etc.
How exciting it is to think of doing those new, fun things! And it will also help me move on from focusing on weight loss to enjoying the weight loss!
Old 01-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 172/162/150
WOE: Atkins influenced
Start Date: restart January 5, 2014
Quote:

Mistake #1: Thinking I am "done" when I reach goal. When I reach goal, I have to keep tracking my food and measuring my portions, even as I allow my overall calories/carbs to increase somewhat. The attitude that "I have arrived and my diet is done" is the reason I go back to my old ways. I will be "on a diet" for the rest of my life because it's not a diet, it's a permanent new lifestyle. Period.

Mistake #2: No longer having goals beyond reaching goal weight. When I get to my goal - this time - I need to replace diet/weight loss challenges and goals with fitness challenges and goals, track them with a cute little tracker I can add to my siggy, and find some fitness software which has functions specific to muscle gain and fitness activity. My current software is fabulous but it won't allow me to have a goal to GAIN weight, for example, or enter specific weight training data.

Mistake #3: Leaving my accountability group. -- I have to keep posting my ongoing progress with an accountability group. I am never leaving my two favorite diet boards, LCF and 3FC, ever again. I will probably switch my focus to fitness and maintenance threads, but I am not going away again.

Some of my goals are NOT diet/fitness related.
I really identify with you and your struggles. Good idea for you to list some of the issues that contributed. I too have lost and gained several times and same reasons. I was a regular on the Atkins site several years ago and every time I try to go back...no one I remember is still on. But here we are...new day and with God's help we won't give up this year. Take Care!
healthywealthywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I just realized that I named this thread using a verse from the Bible but then I never addressed my faith in the first post! lol

I became a Christian when I was 19 years old (which I just realized was 27 years ago, for a total of 60% of my life!) My faith is a HUGE part of my identity.

I don't usually take a spiritual approach to weight loss, though I have in the past taken a class called WeighDown where the leader (Gwen Shamblin) taught some very good principles for eating sanely and in a way that honors God. I have a few faith-based books on exercise and fitness and I am all for honoring the Lord with my body and treating it as His temple. But these days my weight loss has been more of a focus on my future and the future of my family.

Our couples' bible study starts back up this week after breaking for the Holidays. I am looking forward to getting back in the Word! Plus, my ladies bible study group starts back up next Wednesday night. I love my girlfriends in that class! Some of us have been going there for ten years and we are all really good friends as well as sisters in the Lord. Can't wait to see what God is going to do in our new study on the book of Acts. I already know it is going to be amazing.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 172/162/150
WOE: Atkins influenced
Start Date: restart January 5, 2014
I haven't always taken a spiritual approach to weight either. This time, it is not about trying to fit in, people-please or vanity. I really want to be more disciplined, healthy and deal with the issues of why I eat emotionally. Wanting to dig deeper (with God's help)...knowing that I am accepted in the beloved regardless of my weight, success or failure...but wanting to overcome this issue. I have a list of good scriptural declarations that I speak over my life daily (Job 22:28, Mark 9:23,Romans 4:16) and getting back to 150lbs, eating healthy, consistent exercise is one of those that has been on the list for several months. God has been so faithful in so many, many areas of my life which I am exceedingly thankful. However, there are always some areas that we have to battle for. Weight is one of those for me. Up and down...up and down...I really want to win this battle and do it right. We can do this because "All things are possible to those who believe" and we are believers! (Mark 9:23)
God Bless....
HWW
healthywealthywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I think the reason I am feeling so different about eating right this time around is because I know that God is with me, and it is His will that I take care of myself and my husband.

I feel like a new person since I started. And the effects of low carbing have also given me the health boost I prayed for!

I make a point of thanking God for the incredibly rich, nourishing, delicious food I am blessed with. We eat better than most of the other people on the planet.

And when I am tempted to eat junk, I think, "Why mess up this gift with poison!"
Old 01-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

NSV

No weigh in today but I had a huge NSV this morning!

Since my restart on Nov 20th, I have lost 24 pounds. After 5, then 10, then 15 pounds, I kept trying on several pairs of my next size down jeans and none of them (even the "bigger" jeans I had in that size) would fit. I was soooo frustrated. The numbers were moving on the scale, but I wasn't losing any sizes. That is to say, my present size clothes were getting looser and looser, but no matter how loose they got I still couldn't fit into the next size down. I was like, "I know my boobs did not weigh 24 pounds! Where did I lose all this weight from? And when will I fit into the next size down? Grrrr!"

Well, today I finally fit into a pair of jeans in the next size down! I am so happy I could do my happy dance. Hold on...
OK, just went and did my happy dance.

DownDay today. Yeah! Now I am feeling more motivated than ever.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:39 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Just had to write it down

Just had to write this down so I can remember it later when I am tempted to go back to low-fat/low-calorie later on to "speed things along".

I used to combine an ultra low-carb/low-calorie approach to weight loss, but in spite of that I never tested more than trace on ketostix. My metabolism is scary slow. I mean, my metabolism is so slow it should be physically impossible. I am one of those cases where doctors shake their heads and tell the patient they must be eating more than they think they are eating. Never mind that I measure and record every bite I put into my mouth and I deliberately underrate my exercise intensity. Especially as I approach my goal, according to my diet software, the only way I could get the expected weight loss numbers to jive with reality was to lower my calories to medical fast levels (<800 a day), input an age of 100 and an activity level of "Sleep, 24 hours". Only then did my actual weight loss line up with the projected weight loss. This, in spite of the fact that by the time I reached my goal I had been spending eight hours a week at the gym, plus walking an hour a day. It was a completely unsustainable lifestyle, both dietary and physical. Which said to me that there was something seriously wrong with my metabolism. I had medical tests done and they showed no thyroid problems or other imbalances.

I gained all the weight back (70 pounds) in two years.

Anyway, this time around, just like before, I went with low-carb/low-calorie. I started to add more protein to keep myself feeling full, but as I was trying to watch my calories I also was keeping my fat very, very low. But then, as before, I was not even getting a trace reading on the ketostix! So I decided to find out for sure what was going on with my ketones. I purchased a blood ketone monitor and guess what? I discovered that have a VERY hard time getting into ketosis. I mean, even with <15-20 carbs a day my blood ketones are just barely in the optimal range, and even then it's hit or miss. Even after a Down Day (a virtual fast day when all I eat is two eggs) my body is still manufacturing borderline high blood sugar (90-100) and producing only trace blood ketones. Which says to me that my metabolism would rather convert protein to glucose (gluconeogenesis) than burn fat. AHA! Now I understand why my metabolism keeps getting slower and slower and slower! The danger here is that by eating too much protein and not enough fat, I have been training my body to use protein as its primary energy source. Which means that when dietary protein is unavailable, as on my fast days, my body would then prefer to cannibalize its own muscle tissue rather than burn fat for fuel. My body has been ruining its own metabolism, because I trained it to do so.

This is why, after two months of strict induction combined with low-fat/calorie restriction/intermittent fasting, my blood sugar has still been testing relatively high (95-100) and my blood ketones have still been testing too low (.8 - 1.0). So last week I decided to REDUCE my dietary protein (which really was too high) and INCREASE my fat intake. For a low-calorie/low-fat/low-carb dieter this was a scary choice to make! I tested my blood after two days and there was a significant improvement (glucose 79, ketones 1.3). I test every two days so I will be retesting tomorrow morning to see if there is any additional improvement in my ketones. I want my stable blood glucose between 80-85 so 79 is a good reading.

And now we will see what happens to my weight loss.