LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
I stopped eating...

Except for some coconut oil in my morning coffee, I didn't consume any food today or juice, zero calories. I feel pretty good. I'm planning on going to bed on an empty stomach.

I am sick of my current plateau/stall. It has been ridiculous to not eat much, exercise hard and wake up to about the same numbers for a week. I am interested in reading the new thread about "re-stall".

But I thot my current choice to not eat was worthy of a new thread. I haven't fasted for a whole day in over 30 years. I imagine my poor body will like to take a break. Any thoughts?
GoBahnsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/223/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
My suggestion would be to stop exercising and start eating more fat. That beats fasting IMHO and much tastier. I'm not saying to never exercise, but too much puts stress on the body.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Hey GoB---

"Hard exercise" will build muscle, a good thing. The more muscle you have, the better you burn calories, although not as much better as you might wish for the effort. And, muscle weighs more than fat. So, if you're dependent on the scale to tell you if you're successful or not, building muscle, a very good thing, will disappoint you in this way.

I think a day of fasting is fine now and then, if it feels right, but never mistake it for a lifestyle. You may be able to make the scale move w/this sort of thing, but it will turn right around on you and record the next day, or day after that, when you've stopped fasting.

The idea is to find a lifestyle, a way of eating you can maintain. IMO, exercise is NOT counter to this, and is in fact very good for all of us. Wish it didn't bore me to tears. I once lost a good bit of weight exercising for an hour a day, 6 days a week, and counting my calories in a scrouge like way, but in short, living something I could not maintain.

From your stats, it looks to me like you've lost over 20 pounds in a short amount of time, and this pace is more typical of men then women on LC, but what's true for both is that the more we lose, the slower the loss becomes, and that seems to be pretty true across the board for both sexes.

IOW, you're not going to lose over 20 pounds a month as you continue. It is going to slow down. And, exercise IS NOT hindering your fat loss at all, but it IS effecting your weight. Again, if the scale is your most honored witness to your efforts, this will be problematic.

If you'd been here longer, you'd know that for a great many of us, how our clothes fit is a much better indicator of where we're at than the scale. Anyhow, hang in there, and yep, experiment and see what works for you---keeping in mind that "what works for us"has to work over the long haul, or it's just another diet, and another re-gain.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Hey GoB---

"Hard exercise" will build muscle, a good thing. The more muscle you have, the better you burn calories, although not as much better as you might wish for the effort. And, muscle weighs more than fat. So, if you're dependent on the scale to tell you if you're successful or not, building muscle, a very good thing, will disappoint you in this way.

I think a day of fasting is fine now and then, if it feels right, but never mistake it for a lifestyle. You may be able to make the scale move w/this sort of thing, but it will turn right around on you and record the next day, or day after that, when you've stopped fasting.

The idea is to find a lifestyle, a way of eating you can maintain. IMO, exercise is NOT counter to this, and is in fact very good for all of us. Wish it didn't bore me to tears. I once lost a good bit of weight exercising for an hour a day, 6 days a week, and counting my calories in a scrouge like way, but in short, living something I could not maintain.

From your stats, it looks to me like you've lost over 20 pounds in a short amount of time, and this pace is more typical of men then women on LC, but what's true for both is that the more we lose, the slower the loss becomes, and that seems to be pretty true across the board for both sexes.

IOW, you're not going to lose over 20 pounds a month as you continue. It is going to slow down. And, exercise IS NOT hindering your fat loss at all, but it IS effecting your weight. Again, if the scale is your most honored witness to your efforts, this will be problematic.

If you'd been here longer, you'd know that for a great many of us, how our clothes fit is a much better indicator of where we're at than the scale. Anyhow, hang in there, and yep, experiment and see what works for you---keeping in mind that "what works for us"has to work over the long haul, or it's just another diet, and another re-gain.
I loved this post Blue! You just spent a good amount of your time helping me. Thank you!

I figured this wasn't any kind of real solution. I hear ya on expecting the loss to slow down.

And like you said, it's a good idea to fast once and a while. I'm just having fun with this. My head feels spacy right now. I'm getting tired and I want to go to bed early.

You are a good friend. Thank you!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

It's 7:40 and I wish I could eat right now. This just turned not so fun
Old 12-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBahnsen View Post
It's 7:40 and I wish I could eat right now. This just turned not so fun
So eat something. Really. Just make it LC and don't stuff yourself. Of course, the longer you go hungry, the greater the odds you'll need to stuff yourself to feel satisfied, mentally as well as physically.

I said fasting was ok now and then if it feels right to you. Sometimes I'm just not hungry, and w/out planning to, end up turning in a VERY LOW carb and calorie day, as close to fasting as I get, and it's not often.

But this is NOT feeling good to you. And I can tell you, it's not going to alter the scale long term. So why suffer w/it? What's going to alter the scale long term is settling in for the long haul on the plan that works for you. Taking pleasure in every pound that drops, no matter how long it takes, because you're eating in a healthy way, which for me is LC. You may need a bit longer at it before you believe that, if indeed, LC is right for you.

You know, I'm glad to be 10 months into this in that there's nothing that can replace the experience of time and experimentation. I remember starting out and thinking, Oh boy, this is going to take forever. And now, a blink later, I'm almost 40 pounds down, and life is so much better.

You have great spirit and humor, both things that will serve you very well, if you can just decrease your expectation of speed, and increase your expectation that all good things take some time. Success takes time. Always.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So eat something. Really. Just make it LC and don't stuff yourself. Of course, the longer you go hungry, the greater the odds you'll need to stuff yourself to feel satisfied, mentally as well as physically.

I said fasting was ok now and then if it feels right to you. Sometimes I'm just not hungry, and w/out planning to, end up turning in a VERY LOW carb and calorie day, as close to fasting as I get, and it's not often.

But this is NOT feeling good to you. And I can tell you, it's not going to alter the scale long term. So why suffer w/it? What's going to alter the scale long term is settling in for the long haul on the plan that works for you. Taking pleasure in every pound that drops, no matter how long it takes, because you're eating in a healthy way, which for me is LC. You may need a bit longer at it before you believe that, if indeed, LC is right for you.

You know, I'm glad to be 10 months into this in that there's nothing that can replace the experience of time and experimentation. I remember starting out and thinking, Oh boy, this is going to take forever. And now, a blink later, I'm almost 40 pounds down, and life is so much better.

You have great spirit and humor, both things that will serve you very well, if you can just decrease your expectation of speed, and increase your expectation that all good things take some time. Success takes time. Always.
Thou almost persuadest me to eat

Again, you make very good points. I will think about them carefully.

This all started this morning when it was easy to get by on my coffee until noon. So I thot...lets see how long I can go?
Old 12-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2fourboyz
Stats: 277/working on it/135
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 28,2004 recommiting 7/1/13
I did lc @ approx. 10 net carbs a day for 4 years. My scale didn't move often enough but the inches did. I would recommend that you use a measuring tape and not the scale. Measure everything. Neck, chest, upper tummy, lower tummy, upper arm, lower arm...all the way down the body.
Not eating is not good for your body and it might just hang onto anything it can get. I would never not eat. Do an egg or 6, or a big hamburger patty.
mom2fourboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2fourboyz View Post
I did lc @ approx. 10 net carbs a day for 4 years. My scale didn't move often enough but the inches did. I would recommend that you use a measuring tape and not the scale. Measure everything. Neck, chest, upper tummy, lower tummy, upper arm, lower arm...all the way down the body.
Not eating is not good for your body and it might just hang onto anything it can get. I would never not eat. Do an egg or 6, or a big hamburger patty.
I always heard that doing a fast once and a while gives the body a rest and allows certain systems to get kind of refreshed. If you fast for a longer period, you can get into some deep detoxing.

This is what I recall from past reading. Thnx for reaching out to me mom2
Old 12-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Blue Skies...I left a post for ya in the "carb resolutions" thread earlier. Thnx again for your great posts tonight! It helped me get thru the night.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:53 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
Check out the JUDDD boards
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:06 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Fasting is fine provided it doesn't bring on a binge. Lots of people do it naturally. I do a modified fast at least a few days a week. Look up intermittent fasting.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
Pretty sure you're a fellow bloke, if I lived near you, i'd punch you
You've (by your stats) only been doing this a month, lost a RIDICOLOUS amount of weight in that time, and now your body has cottoned on. Did you really think you were going to lose almost 2 stone for consecutive months?!?!
Madness man.
March into your kitchen, grab a steak, cover it in butter and cheese and eat, eat, EAT.
That's an order, soldier.
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hey Blue Skies...I left a post for ya in the "carb resolutions" thread earlier. Thnx again for your great posts tonight! It helped me get thru the night.
Thanks GoBahnsen. We ALL need help getting through some of this sometimes.
Which is why this is such a great place to come to---lots of smart. experienced feed back, and lots of opinions to choose what fits you best. And like I said, I appreciate your company here and your humor. See my sig line. Nothing works like hanging in there!
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:12 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Fasting is fine provided it doesn't bring on a binge. Lots of people do it naturally. I do a modified fast at least a few days a week. Look up intermittent fasting.
Thnx clackley. Describe your mod fast if you don't mind.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #16
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
bpc until about 4pm and then a snack and dinner. Means a 4 hour eating window.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks GoBahnsen. We ALL need help getting through some of this sometimes.
Which is why this is such a great place to come to---lots of smart. experienced feed back, and lots of opinions to choose what fits you best. And like I said, I appreciate your company here and your humor. See my sig line. Nothing works like hanging in there!
Well the scale finally moved! It was down 2 pounds on my old scale and 3 on the new (mean) scale this morning. That put me really close to the goal I had in mind back in November when I started LC WOE.

I wanted to break 200 by January 1. So I have come within a couple of pounds.

Ok CONFESSION TIME: After you told me to "Go eat then. Really." I started getting very uncomfortably hungry. So at 8:30 I had a small amount of pepper jack cheese to take the edge off. Thank you for saving me
Old 12-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84k View Post
Pretty sure you're a fellow bloke, if I lived near you, i'd punch you
You've (by your stats) only been doing this a month, lost a RIDICOLOUS amount of weight in that time, and now your body has cottoned on. Did you really think you were going to lose almost 2 stone for consecutive months?!?!
Madness man.
March into your kitchen, grab a steak, cover it in butter and cheese and eat, eat, EAT.
That's an order, soldier.
If you punched me I would just fall right over. I'm a pretty big guy, but inside I'm just a delicate flower.

No you're right, I should be thrilled...and I am. I just got impatient. One of things about losing weight is it can make time go by slower. Normally 6 weeks goes by so fast I can't believe it happened! But this past 6 weeks has felt more like 6 months.

But once I get to spring time and I'm 185 or less, I imagine I won't be able to slow the clocks down at all. Thnx for the punch bro!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
I found the opposite, its gone super fast for me, which is a shame as the losses slowed down a few months back and I'm 2 stone "off-track" but, you learn to let go, it gets easier and you get there when you get there.
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Just throwing my .02 in here. I think fasting is a good break for your body. I use to do it every month growing up. (Religion) We would eat about 3:00 or 4:00pm on Saturday and not eat again until lunch time Sunday. Never killed me. And I learned that being hungry isn't the end of the world.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Nothing wrong with fasting, for the majority of people, within parameters, and it can be done in conjunction with low carb. There are several intermittent fasting plans out there if you're interested in searching them out. There's also a very large JUDDD board right here at LCF with tons of information, "IF" it feels like something you'd be interested in.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
I'd go with broth. Keep your electrolytes on track.
That's what I drank before a colonoscopy and I felt great.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks to all of you guys for the input. I was gonna fast today, but I do have a big bag of organic kale to finish off before it turns. So I made a kale smoothie, took it to work and made it last till noon. By then I guess I had set the digestive juices in motion. I just didn't feel like fasting.

I popped a can of tuna. Later I got hungry and did some almonds.

So...sorry I can't come in here and tell ya how great it went.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz1959 View Post
I'd go with broth. Keep your electrolytes on track.
That's what I drank before a colonoscopy and I felt great.
thnx for the tip Liz.

As to the OP: My day off food yesterday has me weighing in low still. But I am about ready to have one of my wife's cob salads. The drama continues.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Happy New Year people! Drum role please: After one day of almost not eating and yesterday's very careful day...I am pleased to announce that the scale gave me another full pound off this morning, making that 3 pounds in two days. Even the new evil Weight Watchers scale had to bow it's wicked knee to the lack of calories.

Thus, I am having a very fun New Years morning!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Moonchild
Stats: (272 first go around) 219/190/180
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart Sept 02, 2013
I have recently taking up fasting 24 hours once per week. It just happened one day by accident and it felt really good. So I tried it again the following week and again .. I enjoyed it. So I think it will become a part of my normal routine.

I only do it once per week though. Also, I don't know if you would truly call it a fast or a liquid fast. I make sure to drink at least 3 cups of chicken broth with heavy cream added. I need the salt and I want the calories. That may sound weird to some and I may be wrong in my thinking .. but I figure I don't wont to go totally without calories for a whole day and start losing muscle tissue. I lost enough muscle and strength from obstructive sleep apnea (due to NEVER getting into stage 4 sleep .. where the muscles repair themselves).

Again, it feels good to me. Even if it is only psychological ... I just imagine impurities leaving my body on my fasting days. I can promise you .. if I didn't enjoy it .. this chick would sooo eat something! LOL Even though it is my plan to do this every week, if something happens to change how I feel about it .. I willchange it.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchild View Post
I have recently taking up fasting 24 hours once per week. It just happened one day by accident and it felt really good. So I tried it again the following week and again .. I enjoyed it. So I think it will become a part of my normal routine.

I only do it once per week though. Also, I don't know if you would truly call it a fast or a liquid fast. I make sure to drink at least 3 cups of chicken broth with heavy cream added. I need the salt and I want the calories. That may sound weird to some and I may be wrong in my thinking .. but I figure I don't wont to go totally without calories for a whole day and start losing muscle tissue. I lost enough muscle and strength from obstructive sleep apnea (due to NEVER getting into stage 4 sleep .. where the muscles repair themselves).

Again, it feels good to me. Even if it is only psychological ... I just imagine impurities leaving my body on my fasting days. I can promise you .. if I didn't enjoy it .. this chick would sooo eat something! LOL Even though it is my plan to do this every week, if something happens to change how I feel about it .. I willchange it.
yeah...right on...It felt good the other day, to not eat. I tried to go two days and it felt bad.

I was gonna try to just have BPC today, but after a morning bike ride I felt too hungry, so I opted for a kale smoothie. i'm buzzing around pretty good now
Old 01-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

I'm eating today. Not much, just enough. Went for a killer bike ride this afternoon. I rode for over 3 hours and I tried something new.

I was telling dipgal a while back, how I used to put a couple of cold beers in my backpack and ride out somewhere. I used it to motivate myself to do the ride.

"Hey GB, guess what? When you get to that spot on the trail you get to have a cold beer!!"

So since beer is public enemy number one for weight loss, I switched it up and took two cold Diet Cokes. I don't want to get into aspartame drinks...but it helped me feel like a bad boy.

And I am a bad boy. That's why I need a Savior!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #29
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lisa M
WOE: Modified Atkins
Quote:
Well the scale finally moved! It was down 2 pounds on my old scale and 3 on the new (mean) scale this morning. That put me really close to the goal I had in mind back in November when I started LC WOE.

I wanted to break 200 by January 1. So I have come within a couple of pounds.

Ok CONFESSION TIME: After you told me to "Go eat then. Really." I started getting very uncomfortably hungry. So at 8:30 I had a small amount of pepper jack cheese to take the edge off. Thank you for saving me
Quote:
If you punched me I would just fall right over. I'm a pretty big guy, but inside I'm just a delicate flower.

No you're right, I should be thrilled...and I am. I just got impatient. One of things about losing weight is it can make time go by slower. Normally 6 weeks goes by so fast I can't believe it happened! But this past 6 weeks has felt more like 6 months.

But once I get to spring time and I'm 185 or less, I imagine I won't be able to slow the clocks down at all. Thnx for the punch bro!
Quote:
thnx for the tip Liz.

As to the OP: My day off food yesterday has me weighing in low still. But I am about ready to have one of my wife's cob salads. The drama continues.
Quote:
I'm eating today. Not much, just enough. Went for a killer bike ride this afternoon. I rode for over 3 hours and I tried something new.

I was telling dipgal a while back, how I used to put a couple of cold beers in my backpack and ride out somewhere. I used it to motivate myself to do the ride.

"Hey GB, guess what? When you get to that spot on the trail you get to have a cold beer!!"

So since beer is public enemy number one for weight loss, I switched it up and took two cold Diet Cokes. I don't want to get into aspartame drinks...but it helped me feel like a bad boy.

And I am a bad boy. That's why I need a Savior!
From someone who has low carbed for over ten yers, take my input or not. What plan are you following? Why are you not eating? Why do you consider yourself a "bad boy" in order to be healthy? Why are you so impatient after doing so well? What's the rush? You sound like (to me) you are on some kind of urgent fad course. I don't know your history or issues but I hope you give good healthy low carb a long term chance. Good luck.
Lisa M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M View Post
From someone who has low carbed for over ten yers, take my input or not. What plan are you following? Why are you not eating? Why do you consider yourself a "bad boy" in order to be healthy? Why are you so impatient after doing so well? What's the rush? You sound like (to me) you are on some kind of urgent fad course. I don't know your history or issues but I hope you give good healthy low carb a long term chance. Good luck.
The bad boy comment was in reference to another subject, nothing to do with diet or health.

I'm following Atkins induction. But I still do certain things that aren't a part of that plan. I am being impatient because I find it fun for myself.

I am eating now. The thread title only had to do with that day. Even that day I finally broke and had some cheese.

I wanted to break my stall. And so far it has worked, dropping 3 pounds in two days after nothing for a week. That was fun

Thnx fer askin Lisa