Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 02:33 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
Well, it looks like we're in for six more weeks of winter!

With everyone sick at home and at work, a friend recommended I use a germ fighting spray made with essential oils. She has not gotten sick this winter and so I ordered some. We have shared spaces at work with different shifts and the whole lovely cubicle thing going on. I sprayed it on my desktop and wiped down the keyboard and phone. First of all, I love the smell! The first one that hits you is clove. Then cinnamon. So it's not perfumy. I had to look up the other ingredients but the trained nose would pick up rosemary, eucalyptus and lemon.

Now, I have never really put too much stock into aromatherapy. I had previously tried a orange/citrus blend because I was told it would curb my cravings for sweets. Smelled good but didn't have the desired effect. Anyway, after working a few hours with this germ fighter, I realized I had not stopped for a snack at my usual time and it was approaching the lunch hour and I didn't feel ravenous! Unfortunately, after using it a couple days, my Beagle decided it smelled good too and managed to get it out of my work bag, puncture a hole in it and then left it to drain into the carpet. If she wasn't so cute I would have strangled her! I'm just glad she's not into chewing shoes.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2014, 03:00 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Ridiculous

I just checked the 7 day forecast and no days are above 18F!!!

The only thing right now keeping me from being uber depressed about that is in one month I am going to be in TEXAS!!! Woohoo!!!

I have never been to the Lone Star State so let me tell you how it all came about! Every year in Austin they have a film/music festival, South by Southwest(SXSW)It's weeks long and they have massive amounts of talent: playing music, showing films and having forums on anything and everything related. New talent, old talent - I just picture someone singing in every church and on every corner. Every year, come March me and hubby say, "oh, we shoulda gone".

Last year DH and I celebrated 25 years wedded bliss I thought of having a big ol' party, eating lots of food and drinking lots of beer...turns out, my uncle had a party just like that and invited everyone I would have invited to mine! It was great because I didn't think people would travel twice within the same time frame.

So I say to DH, why don't we do SXSW next year? Perfect.

Now I have to focus and loose the "winter weight" I put on.
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:40 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Your anecdote about the beagle and the germ fighting spray made me giggle. I too have had many incidences of things, including jewelry, a cashmere sweater and even furniture, lost to doggie jaws.

Your trip to Austin for the film festival sounds as though it will really be interesting and enjoyable. And how wonderful to have something like that to motivate you regarding your health and weight loss goals.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:29 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

LolaG, I'm glad my story made you giggle. Dogs are fun aren't they? It pays to have a sense of humor too...I always tell my DH "The Beagle" is going back where she came from! (the shelter) but we've had her for over a year now so I don't think he takes me seriously.

We were at the grocery store the other day and Oreo, damn them for continually putting out new flavors! had coconut and chocolate chip cookie dough. So why did we have to buy one of each??? Why do they have to put them in a display I'm sure to see? since I don't even go down the cookie aisle. I think I could have passed them by if DH wouldn't have been with me...yup, it's the blame game. I did manage to bag them up and send them to work with him before I polished them off. He's one that can eat a couple and be satisfied, not me! I would eat them until I was sick! I don't know why I'm like that. That little binge caused the scale to creep up another pound.

I'm going to have to be strong and say "NO" to the impulse buying.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:01 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Happy Valentine's Day!

Just a reminder to myself to love myself, faults and all. I love my body, scars and all.

God gave me this body and I promise to take care of it as He intended

Old 02-15-2014, 12:04 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Hi. My name is Kim and I'm a foodaholic

A lightbulb just came on...

I had mentioned a couple posts up, "I don't know why I'm like that..." and then the next post, "God gave me this body..." Well, one thing led to another and I was reading threads on this site and another poster mentioned how her parents were alcoholics therefore, she had an addictive personality. Now, I don't go to church every week but I do believe in God and I do believe He led me to that post.

You see, both of my parents are alcoholics. And all these years I told myself I was NOT going to be like them, only to replace alcohol with food. Wow, what an eye opener. Maybe I knew it? Just didn't want to admit it

My mom goes to AA and quit drinking long ago but I think she also replaced alcohol with food. She's diabetic and will not or cannot follow a diabetic diet. She also has gastroparesis and will eat pizza, knowing what it will do to her body. My dad died last year. He went to his grave self-medicating with alcohol.

This puts a whole new light on how I look at food.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Your making the connection between addictive tendencies in family members and your own struggles with maintaining healthy eating patterns is very interesting. I too have learned so much about health in general as well as diet through reading on these threads.

I'm like you regarding restrained eating when it comes to things like cookies, certain candies and salty things like potato chips or salted nuts. It is far easier for me to not ever eat any of those things than it is for me to eat just one. One bite and I'm doomed. I smiled when I read about you avoiding the cookie aisle in the grocery; that is my technique exactly. I never go down the aisles where snacks or sweets are stored and if I absolutely must I walk quickly and look the other way. I'm not kidding. I don't want to allow the slightest opportunity for temptation to sneak in.

I was interested in reading about your mother having substituted food for alcohol once she quit drinking. That is often something people do after quitting smoking. I have heard that alcoholics who stop drinking often start craving sweets. I also was interested in the fact that she suffers from gastroparesis. I have a friend who was diagnosed with that a few years ago. I'd never even heard if it before then but seeing how problematic and often miserable things are for my friend as she tries to cope with the disease has been very sad. She too has had difficulty accepting the fact that she must follow such a restrictive diet. My friend also has type 2 diabetes. I know it must be very distressing to watch your mother deviate from the diet she should be following.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:37 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

I had never heard of gastroparesis either. I was reading up on it and 29 percent of patients with gastroparesis are also diabetics. My mother and grandmother were both diagnosed with diabetes later in life so I'm trying to get a grip on prevention, lest I wind up down the same path. Prayers to your friend, LolaG. One of those diagnosis in itself would be awful but both? I sympathize.

I just got this book yesterday, also a recommendation from one of the threads here, The Diet Cure, by Julia Ross, M.A. Only seven pages in, she describes the correlation between sugar and alcohol, how they both raise the mood chemicals in the brain. She also notes that regular use of refined sugar, flour and/or alcohol can actually BLOCK the production of our brain's natural pleasure chemicals. Wow. Now we don't want to do that do we?!

So, FIVE pages in and she's already touched on the fact that we don't eat enough protein. Ok, I admit it, the very first paragraph made me cry! She says, "Your weight and eating habits are not the result of laziness, gluttony or weak willpower." How many people beat themselves up for those very reasons they think they can't lose weight. I wish I would have "discovered" this book years ago. Let's see...first published in 1999. Do you know how much money I would have saved on all the other diet books I have read???

Old 02-20-2014, 02:03 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

finally!

The temps finally got above freezing this week! It was sooo good to get out and walk with the puppies and enjoy the sunshine. It lifted my spirits tremendously. Bad news is, after tommorrow, temps start to dip again. Spent some time chipping ice out of gutters. Blasted stuff gets up under the roof, expands, then melts into the house!

I tried to convince DH that we need to relocate somewhere warmer but he just replies that we'd have to deal with something else(i.e. hurricanes, drought, snakes and/or huge insects!)
Old 02-21-2014, 03:08 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

back to induction

I have been a little frustrated with myself by not eating on plan, so I decided to go back to Atkins induction, where I have to best success.

The hardest thing to give up is nuts and peanut butter. I love peanut butter and celery! Then I always try to tell myself "just a few almonds won't hurt"

The mind games we play

I got to the grocery store early, when they start marking down the meats that expire that day and picked up a roast and some chicken. Braised the roast and then put it in the oven on 200 for a couple hours and it turned out wonderfully. Even the dogs approved. The chicken went into the crockpot and came out really tasteful(just used some chicken flavoring in a little water)
So with my eggs and bacon, I'm good for a few days and should get me through the weekend w/o any problems. The weekends are the hardest.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:47 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Fight to win

Stolen from "Why do we backslide" thread:

Let me ask you why it is a depressing thing to you to “have to fight through not eating sugar”? Is it that you don’t want to fight in life?

Because I’ll bet you have done a lot of hard things and fighting for what you want. Has that always been depressing? Don’t we all feel pretty good when we fight and win?

I’m not judging you; I am trying to get you to welcome the fight with sugar. Say to the sugar cravings “bring it all ya little punk, I ain’t afraid of you.”

You can take this fight and win it. Don’t be depressed, get mad, get angry at the evil. Fight and win
!

Came across this just as I was feeling a little downtrodden(is that a word?)after I gave in to some M&M's. I read this and I thought:

"dammit, I'm a fighter and I'm not goin' down!"
Old 02-22-2014, 03:58 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Oh, Kim, I have so much in common with you in terms of the battle against temptation. Nuts. Peanut butter and celery. Seductive sugar. Just last night in fact I was overcome with a desire to eat some cashews and ate far too many. They weren't even salted so I had no excuse. The entire episode was odd as I never eat anything after dinner but for some reason I did last night. I finished off the cashews and have vowed to never again bring nuts into the house. Never ever.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:03 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Then put on your boxing gloves, LolaG! We're gonna take temptation to the floor! It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Hubby is on board too. He really surprised me today when we went to the grocery store, he looked at the ice cream and then said, "no" and walked away. He made it look so easy, LOL. So I'm going to try to keep that image in my head. DH saying "no" to his favorite treat. It was an endearing moment.

I was getting frustrated with him just the other day and I said, "You know, they say there's a fine line between love and hate."
And he replies, "It's a dotted line."
To which I said, "It's perforated!" We both ended up laughing.

So I think that much is true with our relationship with food, it's a love/hate thing and you just have to come to terms with it.

I'm worth the fight

Last edited by kjwalsh; 02-23-2014 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: sp
Old 02-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Wonderful post, Kim. I especially like the idea of a perforated line between love and hate.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Been doing good. The preparation and having things easily available helps. I haven't had a Diet Coke in two weeks.

The book I mentioned earlier(The Diet Cure)has been a big help. The premise of the book is that we are actually low on certain nutrients and the first thing you do is answer some questions to find out which are you are depleted. I'm also reading "Before the Change: Taking Charge of Your Perimenopause" by Ann Louise Gittleman, PH.D. and in regards to diet and supplements, it could be the same book!

I've started taking L-Glutamine, which is an amino acid which could suppress sweet cravings and so far, it seems to be working. They also tell you which foods contain the nutrients you need and how to build on these so you are not relying on the supplements alone.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

3 pounds gone! I'm now actually back down to 148. My weight had snucked back up on me, so I got on those boxing gloves and punched it away, lol

I also added another supplement, L-Tyrosine, for energy and mental focus. Just started today so not feeling any energy kicking in yet! I'm taking 500mg. so I could always double it.

The weather has not gotten above 32 degrees in quite some time, so I went mall walking today. The elusive elliptical just kind nyah nyah's me but I vow to kick it's butt one of these days!

Old 03-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

it's the weekend...

and I had a good day!

I had some salmon with scrambled egg for breakfast. Lunch, the hubster and I decided to go to Chipotle. I ordered the salad with steak, salsa and cheese. They have their own dressing and I just drizzled a little on. Added a nice kick and it wasn't sweet, so I'm thinking not too many carbs.

You can also order a "bowl" which would be all the normal fixin's, just no tortilla. Then you can choose to have the beans or rice if you want.

We ate kinda late and I wasn't hungry enough to eat dinner.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:48 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

a typical convo with Mom

So she calls me tonight complaining of a tummy ache and actually having spasms. I can tell when she has one because she kinda grunts/moans. I asked her what she had for dinner.

Pizza.

I then ask her to remember the last time she called me with the same complaint. What had she eaten that time?

Pizza.

Then I ask her, what food does she need to avoid from now on?

Pizza.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:42 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Love the (your?) word/phrase 'the hubster'. My hubster and I also went out to lunch...a place called 'Lonestar Grill' where I had a bacon cheeseburger sans bun and they subbed salad instead of fries for me. Yum.

We also indulged ourselves by getting BBQ takeout for dinner...vinegar based BBQ sauce, collards and cole slaw (although I did't eat much of the slaw, just a taste, since I'm sure there must be sugar in it).

I sympathize with the frustrations you must encounter in your dealings with your mother. I experienced similar problems with my own mom and it was very difficult and upsetting. Sometimes we just have to let go and remind ourselves that there will always be certain situations over which we have no control. At least that's what I tell myself even though I'm not very good at taking my own advice (all too often letting anxiety get the best of me). Anyway, hang in there Kim.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Happy Birthday to me!

LolaG - we have a Lone Star too. It's one of my favorite places for staying on plan. We just got a Long Horn also, so I'm thinking one of those two places will be good for my birthday dinner!

We must have been twins in a previous life, I'm not good at taking my own advice either, heehee. I do have to say tho, lately I have been doing pretty good. I even talked the hubster out of getting a chocolate shake yesterday.

I was calling my mom "the Momster" but one of my FB friends got upset with me because it sounds too much like "monster'' She was just sad about the fact her mom and her are many miles apart and she doesn't get to see her often. I told her my mom knows I call her that and thinks it's hilarious. She does have a sense of humor, thank goodness!

So thanks to my mom for giving birth to me and putting up with me in my times of strife growing up

Old 03-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Happy Birthday, Kim. I hope your day will be filled with laughter. And enjoy that birthday dinner to the max!

It's wonderful your mom has such a great sense of humor. I too think 'the momster' is hilarious although when I first read it I read the word as 'monster' so your friend has a point.

"She generally gave herself very good advice (though she very seldom followed it)."
~Lewis Carroll, 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'
Old 03-05-2014, 02:09 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the birthday wishes, LolaG. We did go to Long Horn and I had a sirloin steak with broccoli. It was good.

aaaand, drumroll please...I'm down another pound to 147!! woohoo!! Getting closer and closer to that goal.

It makes me sad when I see someone post, "I only lost a pound". Well, I've seen what a pound of fat looks like(just ask your butcher for a pound of fat, I told mine it was for my daughters science class experiment! he doesn't know my daughter graduated years ago, lol)I kept in in my fridge for as long as I could just to tell myself - that's big!

Today, I cooked up a 10 pound package of ground beef, now that was huge! Making a beanless chili and I like to have some just to throw in a bowl with some ketchup & onions

Old 03-07-2014, 01:35 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Road Trippin'

One more day...

The trip to Texas is finally right around the corner! Whew!

Did two weeks of induction and lost 5 pounds. I read an article on all the food trucks that gather for the festival in Austin, so I'm going to have to be very careful. On the upside, we'll be doing a lot of walking in the warm Texas weather. We even found out about a "yoga hike" thru Groupon so we are taking advantage of that ~ sounds like fun.

In the snack bag...Quest bars, almonds, cashews and beef jerky. I'll also prep up some celery and carrot sticks. We have a fridge where we are staying so I'd like to get grapes when we get there. I looooove grapes! and watermelon. I'm craving carbs but good carbs, so I should be OK

(yeah, wait 'til she sees that donut truck, ma <Texas drawl>)

They say everything is bigger in Texas so we'll see!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:50 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

omigosh, I read my last post and I have come to the conclusion...

It is very difficult to stay on plan when traveling. We did stick to Quest bars for breakfast. After that, let's just say...we ate a lot of BBQ and we did come across the donut truck(twice!)We did put many miles on the pedometer so I don't have too many regrets...

Our time is Austin was marred by the senseless deaths of three people that got mowed down by a drunk driver trying to elude the police. Why would the police attempt to pull over someone and then continue to chase them while a festival is going on? They are partly to blame. I don't agree with police chases at all. My heart goes out to their families and also the many others that were injured.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

I only gained 3 pounds while on vacation. I think this is pretty good considering for 10 days I did not count carbs, calories or fats. And I drank beer!!! I do have a doctors appointment on Monday. As a personal challenge to myself, I'd like to drop those three so I weigh the same as the last time I was there. Two days(weekend days!)but I think I can do it.

For some reason, my co-workers decided it was ice cream day, so there's tons of ice cream in the freezer and toppings to boot. So far I have resisted the temptation...
Old 03-23-2014, 02:57 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

148.8 down 1.2

Yesterday's breakfast was: 2 fried eggs & 1 sausage patty
lunch: 3 ounces sirloin, cauliflower & ranch dressing
dinner: pepperoni & 2 ounces of cheese
snack: celery & 2 T peanut butter
and 1 square dark chocolate

I also put over 10,000 steps on the pedometer but I can't figure out why it's not syncing into the computer...

I have all the same things on the fridge so my goal is to stick to the same thing today and drop another 1.2 for doc appointment tommorrow

Old 03-25-2014, 01:15 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Well...

I didn't drop that extra pound but I don't feel too bad, I actually gained a pound of muscle

I'm hoping it's muscle that wil just eat up that pound of fat I wanted to loose

Got my pedometer to sync with the 'puter

Bad news - I gave in to the ice cream in the freezer at work

Old 03-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

I think you are doing marvelously, Kim. To only have gained a single pound after your travels is excellent. I think that anytime we are away from our normal routines, not just dietary routines but also sleep and activity routines, our bodies are bound to be affected. I'm so glad you enjoyed your vacation. It sounds as though it was wonderful.

I personally eat BBQ now and then and actually think it is pretty low carb. Of course, here we eat pork BBQ with vinegar based sauce. I do believe that the type of BBQ made with tomato based sauces probably does contain sugar. I've always liked BBQ but for some reason now that I've been following this VLC diet I like it even more. There's a little hole in the wall BBQ place around the corner and down the road a piece from us and we occasionally buy takeout BBQ and collards for dinner (and my husband gets their cole slaw and hush puppies as well). I'd eat the cole slaw but I'm sure it must have sugar in it so I refrain.

Anyway, glad you are doing so well and wishing you a very, very happy week Kim.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:56 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Marvelous!

Thanks LolaG, I feel marvelous too. I don't use that word a lot but I love it! When I started out my weight loss journey, I was wearing a size 18...I just bought two pairs of size 12 jeans today! AND they were only $9.99 each. What a steal. If I keep finding deals like that, a new wardrobe will be in my closet!

Those hole in the wall places are the best! We went to Franklin BBQ in Austin because it's listed in all the touristy magazines. Anyway, the first time we went, 11 a.m. the line was really long so we ate somewhere else. We went back the same day around 4 p.m. and there's a "sold out" sign on the door.

We tried again next day, 10 a.m. Really long line again but we thought we'd stick around. A lot of people were sitting in chairs - then we noticed the guy renting the chairs. Yes, renting chairs for 5 bucks! So I asked him, how quick does the line move once they open? He said not too fast, since there is only one guy cutting meat. BUT then he gave us a nugget of information. There's a BBQ trailer a couple blocks away, has great BBQ if not better than Franklin. So we headed that way but before we left, I asked the people at the front of the line, "what time did you get here?" They said 6 a.m.! Holy Cow! (pun intended!)

So the place we ended up, Mickelwait BBQ was awesome. There was also another trailer selling beverages and we had ginger lemonade with our BBQ which was equally awesome.

Last edited by kjwalsh; 03-27-2014 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: sp.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:03 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Lab results

cholesterol levels

Total: 209
HDL: 66
LDL: 132