Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 205/199/160 5'5.5"
I talked with a very nice woman at our school...her husband is diabetic and even with medicine they are having a hard time keeping his sugar at the right levels. They've been doing some sort of detox diet...she said his numbers are better...but they eat very lean protein, no fats except olive oil...small portions...

I wanted to tell her how they could have yummy satisfying fat and decent size portions if they'd just cut out the crappy carbs & lay low on the fruit...but I've learned not to give advice when it's not asked for. I'm glad they are having success...maybe they are doing what works for them. I hope so.

She was telling me how she was going to treat herself to a coke today and cupcakes on her upcoming birthday...

I treated myself to pistachio's slices of cheddar cheese and too much bacon this past Super Bowl weekend! But at least I didn't activate my sweet tooth...once that happens it's SO HARD for me to reign it in!

I've wondered why I have to be that way? Why can't I eat sweets in moderation? The older I get the more problem I seem to have.

But can I be strong enough to stay away from sweets long term? I dunno...that's why I celebrate each day I do! I hope I can maintain this resolve!
becky123abc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandy1
Stats: 165/147.3/140's
WOE: A72
Start Date: February 1st 2014
I am so with you on the sweets, one bag of chocolate eclairs and I have to eat the whole bag, I don't know why, maybe its because they are so good lol, have you tried the sugar free ones yet, I have seen them with all the diabetic things, but I have heard they can give you an upset stomach, maybe later on down the road I might try them if I have a sugar attack.
It is a shame you can't help people like the couple you mentioned, but I think sometimes you get a gut feeling about people and how they would react if you told them you were doing low carb, so its good you didn't, I think you will know from your gut feeling of who you can tell, not sure if that makes sense now, but I know what I mean lol.
anyway talk to you soon, and thanks for stopping by my journal, do you have your journal set up to email you when you have posts, I figured that one out today lol, lots of learning to do, I also found out you can get a signature when you have been registered for 25 days and posted 25 times.
Sandy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:24 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Hi Becky! I know what you are talking about with the sweets! If I take one bite, I'll take 30 more bites until that sweet item is completely gone! It's like a "drug" for sure. I was recently so proud of myself as there was a bag of mini chocolate covered donuts on the kitchen counter and I never ate any!!!!! I am determined to reduce my girth !

Keep up the good work!

Hello to Sandy! Welcome to the boards! I'll pop into your journal to cheer you on.
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:27 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Sandy & Susan!
I think it's a good thing to write those moments down of resistance...when we had the urge and conquered it! I think that strengthens our resolve and lets us know we CAN do this!!

While making my son a PB sandwich for his lunch today, I REALLY wanted to eat a spoonful of that Jiff PB. But I did not...and I'm so glad...

I did come down to 185 this morning! Yay! A couple of weeks ago I got down to 184 for a day...I'm still not sure why the scale bounced up...our bodies do weird things sometime!

For me the 20lb loss is a marker...I can really feel the difference when I've lost 20lbs. I need to get off the lose/gain roller coaster and maintain a healthy weight this time...

That pretty much means eating this way for life...

But one day at a time!

Sandy, I haven't ventured into any kind of SF sweets...other than gum and the Truvia I put in my coffee...my control issues scare me away from doing that. Those eclairs sound yummy though!

It's pretty amazing now that once I ate clean for about 4 or 5 days...I truly lost my craving for sugar...but I know it lies dormant...and if I ate something sweet that beast would arise!!
Old 02-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

I don't know if that photo will show up. But I was quite shocked this morning when I looked in the basket beside my chair and saw the wrist braces...I realized I haven't needed those in so long! I haven't worn them in well over a month...since I cut out wheat & sugar! I had forgotten about them!

I would often put them on when I was sitting in my favorite chair using my laptop. They helped my wrist pain...

I would encourage anyone just starting this way of eating to make a list of every pain or discomfort you have...and then a month or so later, look at that list and notice which of those items on your list aren't even issues for you any more!

Even when the scale is stalled...the benefits of this way are so many!

Last edited by becky123abc; 02-05-2014 at 02:28 PM..
Old 02-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Becky I have just read you site and love it. You are doing so great. You are a better woman then me for staying away from diet coke and peanutbutter. I can not give either up. You have been really giving it your all.

I am a bus driver for a school in Ohio. I get up at 4am so I know how you feel about sleep. They called last night a 9:30 for a 2 hour delay due to storm. So I called the person on my list and said ok I can go to sleep now. Well I did and at 10:45 they call and say no school. So I had to get awake enough to walk down the hall and call that person again then go back to sleep. I wonder what they have up their sleeve tonight?

Good Luck you are doing great. Judy
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Judy!
I just know what happens when I eat PB...but you might can handle it! We're all so different!

You guys are having some serious winter! I hope you can catch up on some rest while school closes...and I hope you find out in plenty of time so you can sleep in!

Your stats are great! If I got down in the 140's...it would be a dream come true!! I think I'll be happy if I can get back in the 160's. I've done it before...keeping it off is definitely a challenge!!

Thanks for dropping by! Best of luck to you!
Old 02-06-2014, 02:45 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning Becky! I here ya on the aches and pains. I didn't realize it until you brought up the subject, but my aches have disappeared also! It is a blessing!
Old 02-06-2014, 03:49 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

You can do it Becky. I never dreamed I would get back to the 140's. I am trying to break a stall right now but when I do we will start rolling down again.

They called a 2 hour delay before we went to sleep so that helped. See you at school today. HEHEHE!!!

I am a pb addict. I could eat it 24-7. What is really funny if I do lowcarb I crave it if I do anyother diet it does not bother me at all. The same thing happens on chocolate. I have to figured out why yet.

Hope you have a great day at school. I will start at 8 and only have about a 15 min. break till 4:30. All routes will be jammed together today. Hope you loose this morning.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Becky well done on getting to 185...you have so many people cheering you...keep at it x
Old 02-07-2014, 03:06 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Becky - it's good to learn what our trigger foods are. I know I cannot indulge in PB or peanuts. I've found that pistachios in the shell are a better choice when I wants nuts. Another snack I recently found are the mini Slim Jims. They are salty, chewy, convenient, 40 calories and less than 1 carb per stick.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:36 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Gosh Becky that must have been hard having to make peanut butter sandwiches....how did you control yourself, what will power you must have, I must admit my finger would have been itching to go into that jar lol.
Anyway keep on keeping on......we will all get there...
Old 02-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Low Carb Mommy
Stats: 175/118 /New wt. 153/123/115
WOE: Atkins & Watching Calories-Starting over
Start Date: September 2006/2014
Checking in with you to see how you are doing. Have a great weekend!
Low Carb Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Hi Becky, Hope you had a great day at school today. We finally went a whole day. Hope all is going well on your way of eating.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Thinking of you too, Becky. I enjoy your posts so much; we have much in common (including certain temptations). I hope your weekend is pleasant and peaceful and temptation free.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:16 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Morning Becky! How's it going?
Old 02-08-2014, 04:53 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Hi Becky how are you today.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:20 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Since Thursday I'm having this weird pain, it hurts when I take a deep breath...in my diaphragm area...I'm really bloated too...

I've never had this type pain before...and it confuses me because usually LC is so good for tummy issues.

I started to put a belt on yesterday morning -- a wide elastic belt--and it hurt so I didn't wear...but then I realized that on Wednesday, I wore a similar belt all day for 15 or so hours ... it didn't bother me at all...but I sure couldn't wear one the next day...

So I'm wondering if the belt sort of squished things around? haha...

The scale is up 2 lbs too...and I didn't eat bad yesterday. I had a leftover filet and some PB...(I know, I know...trigger food...but it was the only thing that sounded comforting...)

I have been burping and sometimes it's very acidic...

I thought maybe I'm drinking too much coffee?? I will lay off of that today if I can. Coffee with cream has been my go to...instead of snacking.

I think it's not as bad this morning as it was last night...everytime I turned over in bed, I could feel it...

It's so weird.

It's weird things like that -that could make me think, "Maybe I just need to eat some carbs..." That can be dangerous thinking!

I have a big crockpot full of beef bones...they've been in there since Thursday afternoon...so I'm hoping some good broth might help things...this is my first time to ever make broth. I hope it's good.

Thanks for checking on me friends! It's so nice to have folks around that understand!

Now:::::::: I'm off to take our son to take the ACT...then I'll come back home & read all of your journals!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:03 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Low Carb Mommy
Stats: 175/118 /New wt. 153/123/115
WOE: Atkins & Watching Calories-Starting over
Start Date: September 2006/2014
I'm so sorry you are feeling bad! Not sure what is going on either. If it were me, I would probably take some Pepcid chewables to see if that would help with indigestion. If that didn't help, I might wonder if it was something to do with bathroom issues. If that wasn't the case and the pain didn't stop...depending where it was located, I would wonder if it was my gallbladder. Please take care of yourself and if it doesn't go away go to the doctor ok. Let us know when it gets better!

My Journey to Success
Getting back to the skinny me!
"Long life to you! Good health to you and your household! And good health to all that is yours!" Samuel 25:6
Low Carb Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Weird you should say gallbladder as my sister has just got over that problem, and that was pain just under her chest...keep an eye on it wont you....you will soon get back on track...I have induction flu I think lol....anyway speak to you soon and sending you a hug.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks LCMommy & Sandy!

I think the discomfort is lessening. After having a grilled chicken salad for lunch I had a small craving for "something else"--so I fixed myself some coffee...it the pain/bloating comes back or gets worse, I may look at giving that up...but that would really leave a hole in my happiness! haha

Sandy, I hope you're feeling better. You're doing great!
Old 02-09-2014, 05:19 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Hi Becky I hope you are doing better today. It sounds very painful. Do take it easy today and maybe you will be all better Monday. Prop up your feet and take it easy it is Sunday a day of rest for all.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:22 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Oh no! Sorry for your discomfort. But it does sound like gall bladder. And that is not something you want to dismiss. Several of my family members have had "gall bladder attacks" which resulted in such pain that 911 was called for transport. My niece was in KMart and was so stricken with pain that she passed out! Surgery after that. My understanding is that some bodies do not process fat properly and this is the result. Better get it checked out.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer better safe than sorry though
Old 02-09-2014, 06:44 AM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Becky...so how are you doing today? I hope that pain has gone as it is a worry, I did so much research on gallstones and gallbladder when my sister was going through it, first I read it was to much fat, then another study showed not enough fat, and on and on it went until I was really confused....yesterday I read on the atkins site a new study that had been published that said not enough fat can cause it...anyway I know I am confused as to what does it, my sister was eating lowish fat at the time but then when my daughter in law got gallstones she was on a high fat diet....so I give up now and just have no clue lol.....anyway so sorry for rambling, I tend to type as if I am chatting and I do tend to go on lol.....
Let us know how you are doing won't you.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

I forgot to ask you about the beef bones in your crock pot, are you doing this so you can use it to drink, or is it more to use in cooking, I am only asking as I fancy doing the same thing, is it complicated or is just bones and water in the crock pot, and how long do you think it will take...thanks...sorry to be a bug lol.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Windygap, susan & Sandy,

The pain has lessened considerably...the coffee didn't do me any favors yesterday...so I'm having broth as my hot drink instead of coffee for a while.

The pain is just a little left of center...between my ribs...I wonder if I might have a hiatal hernia. I've often had problems wearing tight fitting pantyhose....that would cause gassy discomfort...I learned not to buy control top...

I may have to go see the doc if it doesn't resolve itself soon. I will keep an eye on the possibility of it being gallbladder related...

I surely haven't lost any weight...but I'm still eating clean.

Sandy, I mainly want to drink the broth to get all the good stuff bone broth is supposed to provide. I've had 3 cups so far (1 last night and 2 today -- breakfast & afternoon snack)..it does seem soothing...I'll report any miraculous happenings! It's nice to have a coffee replacement. I need to learn how to drink hot tea...but it only tastes like hot water to me...I don't think I've tried the right kind.
Here in the southern US, cold sweet tea is the way folks mainly drink tea...so I'm not too knowledgeable about hot tea.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:09 AM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Becky, don't ignore that pain....you need to take care of yourself!

Tea can be very soothing, flavorful and medicinal. Pick up a variety pack next time at the store and choose a favorite. I grew up drinking sweet tea but don't drink it now - toooooooooo sweet !!!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:11 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

That's a shame you still have the pain, I think its a good idea to get it checked out if its not gone in the next few days or week, I always put off going to the doctors to be honest, I have a three week rule as I find most things sort themselves in that time, not that I am saying that you should do that lol... anyway I hope in the next few days it has settled down.
I would like to try the beef broth so might mention it to my butcher in the morning, it sounds such an amazing thing to do for yourself, I think I might do some research on it later to see the health benefits as I expect they are really good.
Isn't that funny that you only drink cold tea lol, I guess its because I am English and we are mad about our tea's, the only one I drink though is earl grey, but to most people it tastes funny so I am not recommending it, although some herb teas are lovely, have you ever tasted a rose hip tea, that is really yummy, its like drinking hot berries lol.
Anyway its good to hear you are still sticking to everything, by you all keeping to it, it makes me stick to it, although its not to hard really as I do enjoy the food.
I was reading someone's journal this morning and it really blew my mind, I think she had 100 pounds to lose and she listed what she lost every month which was never that much really, 7 pounds one month, 5 pounds another month, some months only 3 pounds, but over a year it really added up until now she is around 150, it totally inspired me to not be disappointed to much with the numbers on the scale, just lots of little loses really add up in the long run....anyway I am rambling as I usually do lol....Have a great day Becky.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
I just want to chime in to voice my agreement with everyone else, Becky. Pain can be a message from your body and it may be telling you to hie yourself to the doctor! Sometimes it really is better to be safe than sorry.

I was interested in your mention of substituting bone broth for coffee as I know that would never work for me given my coffee (caffeine) addiction. I am also a hot tea lover and drink many varieties. Right now my favorites are Constant Comment and Bigelow's Pomegranate Black Tea. I also really enjoy raspberry herbal tea such as Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger or Bigelow Red Raspberry. Sometimes I add HWC to those raspberry teas and it makes them taste like a dessert. It is funny that the only tea I don't care for is Earl Grey, mentioned by Sandy as her fave.

Becky, I really hope your pain subsides and that if it fails to do so soon, you will see your doc. Take care.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:57 AM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

How are you feeling, Becky?