Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Journals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/)
-   -   60 days of fresh juice...can I make it??!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/819449-60-days-fresh-juice-can-i-make.html)

srsmom 12-26-2013 12:08 PM

60 days of fresh juice...can I make it??!!

I will be starting this plan tomorrow if I get to the store this afternoon. I was inspired a few weeks ago by the Joe Cross documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead , by Leashy's health scare earlier this year, by my own recently diagnosed high blood pressure, and the fact that I am at my highest non-pregnancy weight ever.

I do not sleep through the night...haven't in years, and I most probably have sleep apnea but do not want to spend $4000 on a sleep study and then buy the CPAP, etc. if I can lose this weight and heal myself. (I do have health insurance, but I buy it through an individual policy and have a $5000 deductible, and I am in school full-time right now.)

I am uncomfortable most of my waking hours these days, my clothes don't fit, and my self-esteem is in the toilet. I have done this to myself through inactivity and overeating unhealthy foods. I feel like I am in a very unhealthy downward spiral and I need to put a stop to it. Period.

So the juicer has arrived from Amazon. I need to clear out a shelf or two for myself in the refrigerator for my produce, get the juicer out and learn how to work it/assemble/disassemble it, etc., and get to the store. We have made it through Thanksgiving and Christmas, and my kids are moving out in a couple of weeks. It is time to make this commitment to myself...surely I can do anything for 60 days...mind over matter. Will power. Resolve to save my health and love a longer, more energetic life.

This is scary. So different from the Atkins inductions and Weight Watchers bouts of my past. I plan to only drink fresh juices, one cup of coffee per day (one K-cup), hot lemon water, and herbal tea. No more cream. No sugar or artificial sweeteners. No diet sodas.

I will try to post daily as I go, for a personal record of my journey.

greengeeny 12-26-2013 12:10 PM

I tried it once...I fell in love with Joe Cross as well when I saw that documentary about 4 years ago. I bought a juicer and everything. Have to say, I lasted about a week, and at the end of the week, I felt pretty sick. It was really hard to only drink juice. If you are going to do it, the magic bullet is a great tool.

Sirtain 12-26-2013 03:04 PM

I will follow your posts with great interest. Juicing is not for me, for various reasons, but I enjoyed that documentary, and I am intrigued by the subject. Good luck!

srsmom 12-26-2013 04:43 PM

I made my first glass tonight, more to learn about the machine than anything. I used an apple, some broccoli, and some baby carrots that I already had in the house. Will shop tomorrow morning. So far so good! :)

srsmom 12-27-2013 11:17 AM

The verdict on my first glass of the day...tolerable, but not delicious. I used parsley, celery, cucumber, ginger, beet, carrot, kale, and lemon and had it over ice.

I think my next one I'll use an apple for some sweetness and fewer flavors.

I'm hungry and having hot lemon water. I want to lose weight but not slow my metabolism, so I will go make another one soon. I need to be careful not to limit myself so severely that I want to quit.

And, of course, I got an email from my favorite pizza place today!

GME 12-27-2013 01:39 PM

I think you are right about fewer flavors. I add some liquid stevia to my juices to get sweetness without the extra sugar. I also add water too if I have low yield fruits and veggies.

Cucumbers are a good high-juice base with a mild flavor. Spinach seems to go with about anything too

Carrot and ginger are good together. Beets go well with berries (frozen works if you let them thaw) and the bright purple of the beets seems to intensify the flavor of the berries (it looks very berry-y).

srsmom 12-27-2013 05:27 PM

Thanks for the tips!

I was starving and ate some vegetable soup tonight. And my stomach is a bit upset.
I'll try again tomorrow.

srsmom 12-28-2013 11:51 AM

OK, so last night did not go so well. I caved and ate...I was starving!

Today I planned much better. I had a glass waiting in the refrigerator this morning for my breakfast, along with coffee with stevia in it. (I hope to wean off the sweeteners, but yesterday I learned jumping in 100 percent set me up for a bad night.)

After breakfast, I made my juices for most of the day. Yesterday I did not make or drink enough of the juices and was ravenous last night. I made a large amount of veggie (one apple, but the rest was carrot, kale, parsley, ginger, cucumber, celery, and beet), and just a large glass of a sweeter one...beet, carrot, , lemon, apple, and cucumber. I had a second glass at about 1:30.

So far so good. :)

GME 12-28-2013 11:56 AM

I did a 10 day juice fast once and after a few days I modified it to "juice and anything I could juice if I wanted to." That meant I could eat an apple if I really wanted to or a salad (no dressing but lemon juice) if we went out. It still worked.

LolaGetz 12-28-2013 12:10 PM

I too am interested in following your experiment with this and I send all good wishes that you may be successful. Good luck.

greengeeny 12-28-2013 04:43 PM

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7020/6...4b16d574_b.jpg

They add orange juice to this concoction in a nutribullet.

greengeeny 12-28-2013 04:45 PM

Watermelon Strawberry Blast
1 cup of seeded watermelon
5 – 6 strawberries, fresh or frozen
big handful of spinach
cup on non-fat plain Greek yogurt
2 – 3 ice cubes
half the amount of water to MAX line
Add all ingredients to Tall NutriBullet cup and extract.

Another idea for a juice smoothie. Are you allowed to have greek yogurt? If not, I guess you could always substitute out with water.

greengeeny 12-28-2013 04:46 PM

Cucumber Pear Detox Blast
1 cucumber, chopped
1 pear, deseeded
Large handful of spinach or other greens
1 T of honey, optional
2-3 ice cubes
Water to line
Add all ingredients into your tall cup and blend. I love the balance of the cucumber with the pear, with just a hint of sweetness. It’s also great with fresh mint. Please feel free to take creative liberties.

greengeeny 12-28-2013 04:48 PM

Cinnamon Mango Blast
tsp. ground cinnamon
cup non-fat Greek style yogurt
1 cup frozen mango chunks
handful of spinach
juice from half a lime
2 T honey
2-3 ice cubes
Water to MAX line
Add all ingredients into the Tall NutriBullet cup and extract until smooth.

Another one with yougurt, but you could always do water in place of it to make it thinner.

srsmom 12-28-2013 07:48 PM

Those look good. :)

Right now I'm just doing fruit, veggies, one k-cup of coffee, and herbal tea/lemon water.

I stayed OP all day! Had more juice than yesterday, but still have some I made today left for tomorrow morning before work.

I'm so glad you all are helping me through this!

handbells 12-29-2013 11:09 AM

This is interesting. I don't know that I could do it. Good luck to you!

srsmom 12-29-2013 11:35 AM

It is rough so far. I'm not really enjoying the juices and I miss food. I hope it gets easier.

srsmom 12-30-2013 10:09 AM

OK, I am feeling alright this morning. I don't much like the juice I made yesterday...I added a few green onions to see if I preferred it that way and could trick myself into it being more like salsa. I will finish it because it is good for my body and expensive.

I am finding it much more tolerable to do 1/2 juice and 1/2 water and just chug it. If I get through (as in finish by tonight...I don't plan to stray from the plan) the batches I made yesterday by this evening I am going to reward myself with a 100 percent fruit juice...maybe apple/clementine.

srsmom 12-30-2013 12:00 PM

OK, I may be crazy, but I feel a little better today...a bit more energy, and I went to the library and got some books on vegan recipes, juicing, and one all about kale. I'm in terrible cardiovascular shape, but have been going up and down the stairs a few times whenever I think about it. I end up huffing and puffing, but surely it will become easier if I continue.

I also learned today that I like vanilla chai tea. I put one packet of stevia it, which I need to wean off of pretty soon...but baby steps.

LolaGetz 12-30-2013 01:28 PM

Oh, that sounds so positive. It seems as though you are starting to feel some benefits, how wonderful. I hope your good experience continues and that you will continue to keep us posted.

srsmom 12-30-2013 01:57 PM

Thanks! I will. :)

greengeeny 12-31-2013 07:57 AM

http://www.hdwallpaperstop.com/wp-co...-Wallpaper.jpg

srsmom 12-31-2013 09:13 AM

Why, thank you!

srsmom 12-31-2013 09:15 AM

My new journey is going well. After I have some juice I am not hungry. But for the first time in a long time, I really GET hungry and know that it is time to eat. I hope I am retraining myself and my body. Listening to its true signals of hunger.

GME 12-31-2013 09:16 AM

Great to hear it is going better. I am following you journey with great interest. :up:

srsmom 12-31-2013 04:20 PM

I have a redness across my nose and cheeks...faint yesterday,, but unmistakable today. Weird.

greengeeny 01-01-2014 07:57 AM

Hmmm....maybe from cold weather? Dry skin? Too many beets??

srsmom 01-01-2014 08:03 AM

This morning I threw in a lot of different things that were getting a little soft. It has bagged salad (romaine, carrots, and purple cabbage), carrots, cucumber, apple, half a lemon, grapefruit, parsley, ginger, celery, and kale. I haven't tasted it yet, but I'll get it down somehow.

I also learned that one of my dogs likes raw carrots, and the other does not! :dunno:

srsmom 01-01-2014 08:05 AM

Not sure on my face. I haven't really been outside, but it could be anything. I can't feel it at all, I'm just pink!

ouizoid 01-01-2014 08:49 AM

probably detoxing. When I juice, I get skin eruptions that then abate. I think it is a good thing.