LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LoCarbNewbie
Stats: 136/126/119
WOE: Low carb ~50-70g/day
Start Date: 26th October 2013
Newbie's Low Carb Journal..

I have never had a blog or kept a journal of any sort so here goes..

I (and boyfriend) are at the end of week 5 of LC WOE and it's been a bit of a roller coaster! I started at about 62 kgs/136lbs and am now at 126lbs. I Wish measured more carefully actually, and measured my inches but never mind. Originally my goal was 115lb but now I'm basically there I'd quite like to lose an extra 7lbs.

I should say that this is my second attempt at LC and I did manage to keep a fair amount of the weight off until recently, and the first time I didn't do any of my weights or measurements really.

The cravings were really bad at first but in week 3 became much easier. Then at the end of week 4 my parents came to visit for mums birthday and we went out for chinese food. We didn't have any rice/noodles but the sauces in the main dishes were undoubtedly full of sugar and the beef I had was in a batter, so not great. I was majorly bloated for most of the following week and have had the WORST fatigue. I don't know if it's just down to the food or whether I'm suffering with "Yeast Syndrome" and the "die off" they talk about in the thread on here. All I know is some of the symptoms match and I've been suffering A LOT with the girl symptoms... I hope that's not too much information. Also, I've not been taking a multivitamin as some people on Atkins have said to do.

I've gotta say I'm starting to suffer a bit of boredom, especially with breakfast. I hate eating breakfast anyway and get bored super quickly. I often eat Greek yoghurt with fruit, but have had eggs a lot lately, and I don't even like eggs that much. I've been trawling the forums and Linda Sues website to get some inspiration. I think I need to prep some on Sunday and keep it for the next few days.

An annoying thing is that here in the UK we can't get half the products you guys do. Certainly sugar free/low sugar jams (jellys), the egg whites in a carton, erythritol etc. I mean, we can get it online but the delivery charges are insane!! Ah well, it just takes a bit more effort I guess. And it is worth it.

I love the energy it has given me (aside from this past week) and the energy peaks and troughs have gone too. I wasn't hugely overweight to start with but my waistline was the problem. It was disproportionately big and I have a family history of diabetes so I wanted to help myself not go down that road! That and the fact that I just felt so tired and under the weather all the time, and the bloating!! I see now that those symptoms may have been this yeast syndrome thing on the Candida thread on here.

I know this is kinda long but somehow I feel like I've got a lot to get off my chest!

Anyway, thanks for reading if anyone is/has.. Please feel free to comment.. CK xx
LoCarbNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

The damn fridge is on the blink...

Just to make this week that bit easier our refrigerator has broken, so we can't prep any food or go and buy stuff for the week. How annoying. Just had taco ground beef with those shiratake (?) noodles. That stuff has a weird texture but I guess it filled me up. Had a nice lunch of fancy cheese and olives and cooked chicken and salad stuff though so not all bad.. C x
Old 11-25-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

What to eat on the go..

I woke up feeling skinny today, which is good ... But, we don't have a fridge and while I used the last of the stuff to prep a salad for lunch I still have not a lot to eat for breakfast. And I'm going to the gym before work today. I do have flax meal and peanut butter but I've gotta be honest - I hate it. It's gross. Still, it's either that or eggs, I'm not sure which is the better. I found some sugar free strawberry/cherry jam stuff yesterday. It tastes really good, but I don't have anything to put it on right now. I wonder what it would taste good on? Ooh, or I could put it in the flax cereal, that would make it taste better. I hope work's not too crazy today....! Please feel free to comment, would love some feedback and support... Cx
Old 11-25-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Good Morning and welcome, Newbie. I, like you, am relatively new here and didn't have a tremendous amount of weight to lose; I just need to shed the ten lbs. or so I gained over the last few years (and prevent them from returning). And like you, my greatest concern was the thickening around my waist area, although I also wanted a flatter abdomen and slimmer thighs. I am very much liking the simplicity of LC eating but think I may need to reduce calories a little. (I'm 5' 9" but quite small boned and so feel best around 127 lbs.) I think I've been overindulging in a few too many slices of bacon (LOL) but after a lifetime of low fat eating during which bacon was verboten it is such a special treat now. I do like eggs and every morning I eat an omelette of 2 eggs topped with a little cheddar and 2 slices of crumbled bacon and I've been crumbling 2 more slices over my lunchtime chicken salad.

I hope your refrigerator woes are soon straightened out. It is so difficult to plan healthy meals and eat well without the means to store food. Good luck with that issue and good luck with low carb.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
I don't eat a lot of eggs. The hardest thing about lc is that you don't eat sweet breads or cereal for breakfast. Just this past week, I sauteed up some steak tips w/ a little cheese on top and ate that for breakfast! Make some sausages w/ mushrooms and a simple gravy of heavy cream mixed with the pan drippings. Sometimes I just put a little lunchmeat on a lettuce leaf, some mustard or mayo and carry it with me as I walk out the door. I don't really do traditional breakfast a lot. I do love Linda Sue's mock danish. That is eggs, and sometimes I make that for breakfast.

Are the shipping rates high on this site? I have ordered from Netrition and their flat rate was $4.95. I am sure it is different for shipping to the UK, but that was really low compared to other sites on here. Maybe check it out? And, the nice thing about Netrition is that they only carry lc products. I love it.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thank you guys!

Thanks very much guys for replying. Thanks for the tips greengeeny, although I'm not sure what steak tips are?? I will check out netrition and hopefully the shipping will be a bit more reasonable. I did actually have the flax cereal with sugar free jam and it was very edible!! I think I'll have the same tomorrow. Lunch was a ham salad with olives and 2 kinda of cheese. For a snack at snack work I had to buy those packaged chicken bites and had some nuts and the rest of the cheese. For dinner I got grilled chicken salad from the takeaway.

I downloaded a carb counter/food log kind of app, seems quite good actually.

Work was really crazy today, and I was ravenous by the time I got to get a break. I had to snaffle some chicken bites in between giving patients their meds (I washed my hands!). I find it so hard when I'm hungry and can't take a break at that time. Just got to try and power through. Can't just take off when patients need painkillers or discharging home or whatever! Had a good workout at the gym beforehand though hope y'all had a good day... C x
Old 11-26-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaGetz View Post
Good Morning and welcome, Newbie. I, like you, am relatively new here and didn't have a tremendous amount of weight to lose; I just need to shed the ten lbs. or so I gained over the last few years (and prevent them from returning). And like you, my greatest concern was the thickening around my waist area, although I also wanted a flatter abdomen and slimmer thighs. I am very much liking the simplicity of LC eating but think I may need to reduce calories a little. (I'm 5' 9" but quite small boned and so feel best around 127 lbs.) I think I've been overindulging in a few too many slices of bacon (LOL) but after a lifetime of low fat eating during which bacon was verboten it is such a special treat now. I do like eggs and every morning I eat an omelette of 2 eggs topped with a little cheddar and 2 slices of crumbled bacon and I've been crumbling 2 more slices over my lunchtime chicken salad.

I hope your refrigerator woes are soon straightened out. It is so difficult to plan healthy meals and eat well without the means to store food. Good luck with that issue and good luck with low carb.
Thanks for replying lola(?) There's no denying that LC just works for the waist is there. It is lovely to be able to eat bacon I agree, I haven't tried it crumbled on salad since I started this, I must do that. I love the ideas that you can bounce off one another's here! I wish I could eat eggs everyday, and it is easier when other stuff is added to it. A lot of low carvers seem to eat very savoury things for lunch which I've not wrapped my head around yet! Like green geeny and the steak tips. I gotta be honest I haven't been measuring my calories but I guess if I hit a stall I may have to... So far so good. It makes me wonder, if we eat this way all the time does our body eventually stop at the weight it's "supposed" to be (and is it unhealthy to push past this?) or will it keep going to an unhealthy weight? C x
Old 11-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Good morning, Newbie. Hope this finds you doing well. One of the things that has amazed me most about eating a low carb diet is the fact that it seems to have really lifted my spirits. Not that I was dispirited before I started eating this way but I seem to notice that now, for no particular reason, I will be suddenly suffused with a feelings of happiness. The sense of happiness I experience has nothing to do with having lost a little weight, although of course I am quite pleased about that. Instead it is as if, out of the blue, good feelings and a sense of well-being flood my body. I find this to be so wonderful and suspect that carbs were somehow dragging me down a little.

Regarding losing too much weight: I have no facts about that but it is not something I think I'll need to worry about. I've always been fairly slender but I've never been underweight [and have no desire to be]...I know myself and my love of food well enough to understand that losing too much weight will never be a problem for me. It strikes me that those who lose too much weight through dietary choices may be those who suffer from body image distortions that come from illnesses such as anorexia. I think those sorts of psychological problems most frequently develop during adolescence. Perhaps those who suffer from such disorders should avoid following any dietary approach that may lead to weight loss but that is definitely not my problem. My problem, in the past anyway, could more accurately be described as an overactive appetite!

Take care, Newbie, and have a wonderful Tuesday.

Last edited by LolaGetz; 11-26-2013 at 04:49 AM..
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Crazy-Ass Day

So today was madness at work. Absolute madness. I left late and was in a rush but managed to pick some things up for lunch, and dropped them to bf for his lunch too. Not very satisfying but never mind. Probably over 20g carbs today. Having this carb tracker thing helps, yesterday I had about 11g, plus 2 chocolates (!!). I haven't calculated today's yet. I felt like I had more energy though today than usual and more able to cope. Still, was hungry when I got home., an hour late.

B - none
L - cooked chicken pieces 50g, carrot sticks, apple slices with a few grapes, cashews with cranberries
Snack at work - rest of carrots, rest of c&c, whole punnet go blueberries 175g.
D - 2 pork chops with mashed root veg. 1 no added sugar choc Brazil nut. X
Old 11-29-2013, 05:41 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

No added sugar chocolate

I've found some that actually takes like chocolate, it's delicious. Considering melting some up and making a chocolate sauce high it. I really want to try Laura dollops chocolate pecan torte recipe. I'm a little afraid though cos all bar one low carb baking recipe I've tried have sucked. And I mean sucked. The pancakes didn't bind one little bit and a sort of pastry came out very floury and crumbly. That was made with coconut flour and probably not enough eggs! I might try a combined almond/coconut recipe. It's just so expensive I hate wasting it ins recipe that doesn't work!!

Down to 57kgs today!!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Boboelink
You can look up recipes for low carb pancakes , waffles, etc. and custards for breakfast.
Those jams would be delicious on it.
A good pancake batter is: 1/3 c. water, 1 scoop protein power, 1 tsp. flax, 1 egg.
There is an Induction styled recipe online I believe.
Plus plenty of other low carb recipes like pumpkin pancakes. one minute muffins, etc.
This morning for breakfast I am going to have a piece of low carb pumpkin pie and dollop of whipped cream and coffee. YUM
Boboelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boboelink View Post
You can look up recipes for low carb pancakes , waffles, etc. and custards for breakfast.
Those jams would be delicious on it.
A good pancake batter is: 1/3 c. water, 1 scoop protein power, 1 tsp. flax, 1 egg.
There is an Induction styled recipe online I believe.
Plus plenty of other low carb recipes like pumpkin pancakes. one minute muffins, etc.
This morning for breakfast I am going to have a piece of low carb pumpkin pie and dollop of whipped cream and coffee. YUM
Thanks for your reply boboelink, I've looked up some recipes on here and on Linda sues website. You guys have so many pumpkin recipes but it's really not something we eat a lot of here (uk). I need to get hold of some liquid sweetener I think for the sweet recipes, most seem to call for erythritol and the liquid kind. I desperately want to try Linda sues chocolate pecan pie!!! Have any of you tried it???
Old 12-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Been feeling a bit bloated the past few days and gained a couple of pounds. I was hoping fit was something I'd eaten making me retain water, and I've woken up today having lost 4lb since I last weighed a couple of days ago! Yay! Made a really nice cheese sauce for cauli yesterday, with gammon. had lettuce roll ups with Hama nod homemade salsa yesterday too.