Old 10-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Born again from the bread crumbs—limetwist redux

I have a story.

A bit of a sad one, but a story, nonetheless.

I'm making this into a cross-post from my confessional in the Main Lowcarb Lobby. I feel it tells my story quite well.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...st-reborn.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by limetwist View Post
I hope you like reading, because this is a long one. Trust me, it's worth it. Settle down, kiddos.

I was once a devoted member of the low-carb persuasion, having whittled myself down from a portly 230 pounds to a svelte 135. I was engaged, to be married at an indeterminate time in Summer 2013. Everything was goin' quite swell. I was cooking every gosh-darned meal, and eating like a low-carb king.

Wait for it...

I was still having some issues with my hormonal birth control (lack of drive, mostly) and switched over to a new brand, the Nuvaring. Sure, its convenience was arguably, well, convenient—never having to deal with munching down pills at 10 PM despite my desire to crash at 8. However, with this newfound freedom came a loss of control. I was suddenly incredibly ravenous and found myself craving all sorts of nasties and overeating at any given opportunity. I was getting married in 3, 2, 1 month—ohmygosh—and yet I couldn't find the wherewithal to keep myself from polishing off half of the peanut butter jar in a single weekend, on top of that block of cheese, and the pork rinds, and the...oh, so you get it. I was upset with myself. I cried a few times, realizing I was letting myself slip, but I just couldn't manage to find a way out of my hole. The medication (despite following my doctor's advice to give it a 3-month adjustment window) was making me ravenous. It was a slow and twisted journey but I started to slowly incorporate more and more nasties into my diet.

And you know what?

It felt good.

GREAT, even.

My fiancé and I totally took the opportunity, with both of us feeling lazy, to start a life of carb crime.

Now, I mention the birth control switch as sort of my catalyst, but I take full responsibility for my actions. I mean, c'mon—I was fat in the first place. I obviously loved the stuff that got me there. Despite having lost all of that weight, I was a fat girl at heart. I can out-eat almost anyone I know.

I won't go into a ton of horrible detail, but I'll let you know that at least, for the most part, I made all of my carbycrap.

I must say...I learned how to make incredible homemade pizza, cookies, cinnamon rolls, and brownies.

My problem is that I have no moderation, though. I'll eat an entire tray of cookies myself.

I half-heartedly tried to low-carb during the week, while going nuts on the weekend. Eh...nice try, girl. But you know that ain't cuttin' it. I just pretty much ate whatever most of the time. I didn't cook as much.

Got married, had a lovely carbtastic honeymoon with booze and pizza and candy for breakfast—so much that my teeth hurt when I got back home to Tennessee.

I knew I was a lost cause, but I didn't want to face it. The scale hadn't gotten any love for months. My clothes were seemingly shrinking. My self-esteem was mostly destroyed, and for this I still kept ignoring it. I was sad, but not sad enough to quit making pizza and brownies every weekend, I guess.

Everyone has their wake-up call, though. Mine was last weekend actually. Friday the 25th, I was at a lock-in at a gaming center with some friends. I wanted to do this bungee-trampoline game, but I did not realize that I would have to be ...gasp...WEIGHED to participate! I stepped on the scale, determined to keep my eyes closed and my mind ignorant, but to my horror, they wrote my weight on my wristband (in the event that I wanted to do it again).

"You're about 170," the attendant said.

My god. Really? Is that what I've become...?

So I let him strap me into the bungee harness, and I felt much like a roast tied up with butcher's twine, bulging in all sorts of random places, my friends watching my every move (unbeknownst to my inner turmoil the past few months). I could barely make it through the ~3 minutes of jumping, I was so exhausted!

I had also noticed that night, my ring and wedding band had been irritating my hand. They had gotten tighter with my weight gain, of course. I already have huge knuckles, so getting them off was even difficult at my lower weight. I left them on, and the skin underneath my finger had become inflamed and irritated, presumably from water trapped under the band.

The next morning after our lock-in, my finger was still red, angry, and swollen. I walked into the kitchen, attempting to remove it with the aid of Dawn, and to my horror, the skin underneath was tearing. It was at that moment, combined with the painful truth of hearing my weight the previous night, that I started to cry.

How could I let myself get to this point? After all of my hard work, I threw it all away. My husband has slipped too. We both acknowledge our fault, and our part in encouraging each other to be bad. We both knew we felt happier eating the way we did before, despite the initial rush of pleasure and bliss from that piping-hot pizza out of the oven.

But, I asked myself: is it really worth it?

To be crying alone, standing at the sink with my finger swollen and achy, panicked that I'd be trapped in this body forever after undoing so much of my hard work? Would I have to go to the emergency room to get my wedding ring clipped off?

My husband was sleeping in our room and I woke up him, crying...not my proudest moment. He was so comforting and let me know that no matter what, I'm always beautiful to him. Words of consolation, but I still knew the truth of the harm and lack of respect I had for my body. In such a small time frame...I had undone a huge chunk of work.

This was it. My time of change. My slap in the face. My saving grace moment.

I was going to brave my bathroom scale and start over. I mean, he said "about 170", so it can't be that bad, now can it?

Hopped on my scale.

The number stared up at me. My heart sank.

Had he been lying to spare my feelings...?

I had a good cry (round two) for a while to come to terms with the fact that I had gained 50 lbs in under a year, but really...it makes sense. I ate, and ate, and ate...all crap.

Sure, it was fun, but it wasn't worth this.

Saturday, October 26th—I was reborn. RE-CARBORN!

I have been sick twice in the past two months. My tonsil stones have come back with a vengeance. I'm tired all of the time. My clothes don't fit. I actually went out and bought a few new clothes, scrambling to find anything sized Medium that would fit me still, to at least preserve my ego. I thankfully spent maybe 100 dollars max on new clothing, and most of it will hopefully wear just as well when I drop the weight.

Oh, and I became a huge fan of skirts, oddly enough. No pun intended...

I could write so much more, but I don't want to bore anyone here to death.

Consider this my carb confessional. I was a very active member in these forums, and now that I've started to cautiously read again, I felt it appropriate to be accountable for my actions.

Don't get me wrong. I truly did enjoy all of the naughty cooking that I did. It was a great bonding time for my husband and me! I learned a lot, and it was fun, but ultimately I need to do what is best for my health and mental well-being. Low-carb is it.

I started at 184.8 on Saturday, October 26. This morning, I woke up at 179 even. That's 5.8 lbs in 96 hours. This is obviously water weight, but it just feels damn good to finally have control of my life again and to be able to face the scale. Not to mention seeing it plummet like that.

I have a plan to get back where I was, and to STAY there. I'm a person who learns from her mistakes, and trust me...I'm not letting this happen again.

Take it from me, a very successful low-carber who fell from grace—this is the life I was born to live.

And now I'm reborn to live it.
I've succeeded. I've failed. I'm pulling myself up, dusting off the bread crumbs (HAW!!) and kicking myself back into shape.

I used to be so dedicated, and I plan to use this space as personal record of my rebirth, and my efforts to bring myself back from the brink of bloat.

(RE)-STARTING WEIGHT: 184.8 lbs (10/25/2013)

CURRENT WEIGHT: 179.0 lbs (10/30/2013) -5.8 lbs

I will update my weight weekly on Saturdays, as well as post my day-to-day life experiences, stories, and food plans, as well as photos, I hope.

Thanks for stoppin' by.

LET'S DO THIS.

Born again from the bread crumbs—a life journal, low-carb style
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
I loved reading your post. I look forward to reading your blog and following your journey.
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Lisa, you have no idea -- Limetwist (otherwise known as Cristin) is a LEGEND on this board. You are going to love following her journal. First, she is brilliant, funny and incredibly insightful and posts the most amazing, mouthwatering recipes this side of Bon Appetit magazine or the Food Network. And she writes like a dream. Her posts will either make you think, laugh out loud or want to get cooking right away.

Viva Limetwist! Your return to LCF is a happy day indeed!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Lisa, you have no idea -- Limetwist (otherwise known as Cristin) is a LEGEND on this board. You are going to love following her journal. First, she is brilliant, funny and incredibly insightful and posts the most amazing, mouthwatering recipes this side of Bon Appetit magazine or the Food Network. And she writes like a dream. Her posts will either make you think, laugh out loud or want to get cooking right away.

Viva Limetwist! Your return to LCF is a happy day indeed!
Oh, Gail, you've convinced me to subscribe.

Limetwist, I'm sending all good wishes for success and I will look forward to following your adventures.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/bouncing again/? 5'2"
WOE: who knows ?
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011~ Moderation 3/15/14
she made me laugh too .
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180/166/140
Start Date: restart in November 2013
Ohmygosh! Limetwist is BACK!!! YAYYYYYY!
SpikersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
welcome back! You and your pork roast descriptions were missed for sure
makrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Wow, guys...I just don't know what to say. Thank you all, truly. I'm completely blown away by the kindness and staggering amount of support from you all. I'll do my best to entertain with my wordsmithing. Boy, I have some big shoes to fill...oh, wait...that's my pants. Badum-psh. I'll be here all night. Fat girl jokes everywhere!

Thank you again.

Now, for some ACTION.

Walked 2.22 miles tonight with the husband, and felt quite winded dragging my butt up that hill. Sigh! Baby steps. But hey, it was warm enough here tonight for capris, and I even had to take my light jacket off when I got all sweaty-like, so I can't complain. It was still a nice walk, despite it kicking me in the bum.

Oh, and I documented DINNER! Sorry, it's just cell phone pictures, but hey. It felt good to do it again.

Tonight was an experiment. I decided to try pesto pork sirloin chops topped with mozzarella, broiled until brown and bubbly. Also Normandy-blend veggies on the side. That's carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower to all you uncultured folk.

PICS:

2 cups of vegetables in the pressure cooker with eh, 3/4 cups of water. Bring the cooker up to pressure, cook for ~2 minutes.

Heat up a little coconut oil in your pan...

Weigh your chops down with a little Fiesta plate like a weirdo. Hey, man, I just want some delicious crust, ok?

Lookin' good...FLIP!

Cover the sufficiently browned chops in your pesto after browning. They'll spend some time in the oven if they need to come up to temperature (I like pork at 135, sue me! It's best that way).

Cover chops with a layer of whole fat mozzarella, grated in your awesome food processor.

BY THE WAY. Best. Pesto. Ever. I get it at Costco for maybe 7 some-odd dollars a jar. It's awesome on pork.

Broil until cheese is browned and bubbly. Watch for smoke.

The verdict? VERY delicious! The vegetables were nice alongside the rich pork chops with the yummy broiled cheese and pesto. I was very pleased. Would totally do it again!

I also had 2 oz of cream cheese for dessert, and a couple of pepperonis to fill out my calories. Ughhh so full! 1 meal a day is nice.

So, I'm feeling good tonight! Keepin' it under 20g net carbs and feeling good.

And I know someone mentioned pork earlier...this is destined for my oven tomorrow morning for an all-day roast at 230 degrees:

POOOOOOORK BUUUTTTTTTT

I swear, it's not a Low Carb Friends publicity stunt. It's been thawing in my fridge long before my not-so-triumphant return!

Aaaand I'm spent. I need to find a better image source, but for now I'm using imgur. I'll explore some options for that.

Hopefully that makes up for my long absence. I'd write something a bit more eloquent, but I've written my little heart out today. Now time to drink like thirty more glasses of water and mindlessly browse the internet!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart: October 1, 2013
Welcome back!
I look forward to your posts!
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Don't want to miss a thing! Welcome back!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcomes, y'all.

Woke up .4 lbs lighter this morning (haven't updated my stats yet—think I'll do that every Saturday too, we'll see). Can't wait to see what my first week weigh-in on Saturday brings me to. I ate a lot of salty food for dinner last night (and consequently consumed a TON of water in response) so I honestly was surprised to see a loss.

Feeling great. I actually woke up at 5:30 AM, which is early for me. Alarm is set for 7:15 and I can pretty much sleep through my husband's 6:45 and rest until mine gets me up. Not sure if this is the energy popping back into my body or if it's just a fluke. Regardless, I futzed around with my phone in bed and just did a little casual reading.

It's Halloween in the office, and I'm sitting here on my lunch break with my "lunch" of like, maybe 2 oz. of black coffee and my thermos of water. I'm actually going to go grab another refill in a minute. I've been drinking water like a fiend! One thing I'm proud of: despite my terrible tumble into carbylicious world, I never once touched a soda to my lips. So I've always been drinking water all this time (with a few Woodchuck hard ciders here and there). Since I started back low carbing, though? Water is, like...super awesome. I can't stop! MY BLADDER!

We have a few costumes strutting around; Buddy the Elf in Industrial Design behind me is totally the highlight, though. She made it herself. HAH.

To my right on the table is a homemade cake pan full of pecan blondies, which tempt me not in the slightest. YEAH BOY! Take that.

Just felt like writing a bit on my lunch break. Man, I forgot how cathartic it is to do this doofy stream-of-consciousness thing that I do. From what I can tell, y'all like reading it!

I'll probably make another post after dinner.

There awaits in my oven a hunk of flesh; though originally tough, sinewy, and unfit for consumption, its fat melts luxuriously by the aid of the low, dry heat—a true act of porcine alchemy! Hark, what black magic am I creating in my kitchen? Fear not, this is not just a trick of Halloween—this is...

pork butt.

Last edited by limetwist; 10-31-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Old 10-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Cristin, you've sucked me right in and I'm addicted already. The illustrations of your dinner last night made my mouth water, BTW.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I, um..managed to double post somehow. FORUM FAIL. HELLO WORLD.

Last edited by limetwist; 10-31-2013 at 07:52 PM..
Old 10-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaGetz View Post
Cristin, you've sucked me right in and I'm addicted already. The illustrations of your dinner last night made my mouth water, BTW.
I'm THRILLED! Welcome aboard.

I didn't manage to get very good pictures of my dinner tonight. Cell phone pictures tend to be, well, unappealing sometimes.

The pork I had cooking away all day turned out to be amazing. I don't know if it was the specific place I got it, or just luck or what..but it was one of the best I've had in a long time. Wrapped the pork in green leaf lettuce, and did something fun with the rest of it:

I took some of the pork and stuffed it into half a bell pepper, topped it with pesto and mozzarella, and broiled it. SOOOOOO GOOOOD.

Also had some cream cheese for dessert.

I'd elucidate more but I'm tiiiired. Not sure if anyone knows what StepMania is (basically a PC version of Dance Dance Revolution). My husband and I bought custom-made dance pads from this guy in Eastern Tennessee specifically to play this game. It's one of those dancing games where you step on arrow buttons corresponding with the arrows scrolling on the screen to music. FUN STUFF. Anyway, husband and I got it set back up again tonight (we've had it for a few months) and played for at least 30 minutes. 25ish minutes of dancing, hopping, and stepping I mean. We probably played closer to 45 but that counts all of the "WHAT SONG DO I WANT" and other various setup stuff.

I'm exhausted! Sweated up a storm and had a good time. I can't dance in real life, but I'm pretty good at stepping on arrows to the beat of music.

Good night, all...I took the day off, and I'm headed for an early morning hike and some low carb shopping.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:04 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Lime, you had the perfect day of low-carb eating and great exercise. You weren't kidding when you said you would be back at this with a vengeance!
Old 11-01-2013, 04:41 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
We all need MORE PORK BUTT !!!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
I think I need to buy some of that pesto Your pork with pesto and mozzarella sounds delish!!!
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Lime, you had the perfect day of low-carb eating and great exercise. You weren't kidding when you said you would be back at this with a vengeance!
I really did. I am sticking to it, ma'am. I even had a ceremonial "pour the rest of the sugar down the sink" event yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden View Post
We all need MORE PORK BUTT !!!
Oh, I think you'll be satisfied with my post I'll be making later this evening, then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeny View Post
I think I need to buy some of that pesto Your pork with pesto and mozzarella sounds delish!!!
The pesto is amazing. It's a bit expensive, but it has imported basil, and doesn't contain anything icky like canola oil. The oil used is sunflower oil. A little also goes a very long way. Try it sometime.

--

11/02/2013

SATURDAY WEEKLY WEIGH-IN RESULTS:

178.4 pounds (-6.2 pounds)

I lost 3.35% of my starting body mass of 184.8 pounds.

I didn't lose much the past three days of this week, but still...6.2 pounds (mostly water) gone in a week? I'm fine with this. It's a great motivator, and the difference in my mental well-being is incredible.

--

Yesterday, (Friday) I had a vacation day. This long weekend had originally been planned for my husband and I to go to the Smoky Mountains for a little getaway. He got cheap hotel hookups from a client at work. However, as the time was approaching, I realized I just...wasn't feeling it. This was while I was still eating crappily, by the way. I was just feeling...sad. :c Inexplicably. No energy. The thought of hiking through the Smokies with my body now? It just...bothered me. I don't know. I didn't feel I deserved to treat myself in the state I'm currently in. I want to hike the Smokies (a beloved childhood vacation spot of mine) while introducing the area to my husband (who has never been) while I'm in a good state of mind, and a healthy body. Not to mention, the thought of attempting to go out to eat in this tourist area while sticking to a plan would be a nightmare. I didn't want to have to deal with the food choices, most of which were your typical Southern decadent foods--donuts, pancakes, biscuits and gravy, cheesecake, etc. A few months back, I had planned all of the indulgent places for us to go. Then I had my breakdown, and that day I canceled our reservations. It was the best choice for me. Saves us money and saves my health and sanity. The idea of eating out for lunch/dinner for 3 days, especially while attempting to substitute out low-carb things (generally for an upcharge) just stressed me out far too much.

So we still kept the day off, and enjoyed it ourselves.

Took a 3.25 mile leisurely "hike" (though part of it is a paved trail, the other woodchipped paths through the woods) at one of our favorite spots in the city. My husband (an AVID lover of critters of all sorts--snakes and lizards, specifically) spotted a little garter snake in the tree near the path! It's always a good day when he sees a snake while we're out. We even got a shy little boy to come say hi to the snake. He didn't want to at first, but then he mustered up the courage to come along with his mama. It was great! Wore me out.

Then we went to Costco to do a few returns, and actually WALKED OUT EMPTY-HANDED. We went to Costco...AND DIDN'T BUY ANYTHING! 0_0 WHAT. To be fair, we do have all of our staples at the house anyway. Kerrygold butter, pesto, chicken thighs, and Kerrygold Dubliner cheddar. That's generally what we reliably get at the ole' warehouse.

Went home after that and watched TV and cleaned out our charcoal smoker (foreshadowing!). We also played some StepMania on top of hiking. When it got dark, we even got some late trick-or-treaters. We got NONE yesterday due to the nasty weather, so I was thrilled to see kiddos at the door. They got GIANT handfuls of candy, hah. We still have half a tub left over. Hope you like candy, coworkers !

Seriously, that bowl of candy, despite me continually digging into it since we got it last Wednesday, is nothing to me now. Just another sculptural piece or an abstract object lying around. Can you believe I actually ate candy for breakfast the other day before work? Goodness gracious. CRISTIN WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!

We're past that, and in a better place now.

After all that exercise yesterday, I was dog 'taaaard. Went to sleep early, both because I was tired, and well...

BECAUSE WE'RE SMOKING TODAY!

Yep, that's right. Husband and I cleaned out our Weber Smokey Mountain and got it fired up this morning at about 6 AM and popped two big Boston butts in there to smoke.

It's been so long since we've smoked, too. Man. I can't wait. I love the smell of the charcoal burning outside.

Since there are only two of us, and we had to smoke two giant pork butts, I predict some will be frozen for later, haha. But really, if you're smoking one butt, you might as well smoke two. Plus, the cryovac package I purchased had two it, and I was lazy and froze it a few months ago that way.

Now to play...the waiting game. I predict they'll be done sometime, eh, around 6-7 PM, depending on resting time. Since we're doing the Warrior Diet, one-meal-a-day style eating, that will be lunch and dinner for me. MMMMMM.

We'll take some pics later.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/130.4/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I loved reading your "story"! Your food looks great. I do the same thing with chicken/pesto. Keep up the good work
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet311 View Post
I loved reading your "story"! Your food looks great. I do the same thing with chicken/pesto. Keep up the good work
Thank you!!

I'm glad you're a pesto fan. I discovered it in the past few months. I'm still figuring out what I like it on. Pulled pork, pork chops, chicken, eggs...I'm sure it goes well with any meat, really. Maybe not steak.

--

Oh, and dinner pic from last night!

Eggs w/pesto, pulled pork, and Goolsby's country sausage patties. YUM! There were vegetables involved too. Green leaf lettuce, and some raw radishes too.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Cristin, you are doing great and last night's dinner looks fabulous! I can't wait to see photos of the smoked pork butts! You are getting alot of exercise too which is great. I have always wanted to see the Smokey Mountains...must be gorgeous there.

Hope you and your husband have a wonderful Saturday. xo xo xo
Old 11-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
Stats: 279/272/180
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
Holy frijoles - you're back!!
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180/166/140
Start Date: restart in November 2013
I'm so glad you're back! I love your great attitude - it's inspiring! Can't wait to see those butt pictures - um, smoked pork butt pictures.
SpikersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Cristin, you are doing great and last night's dinner looks fabulous! I can't wait to see photos of the smoked pork butts! You are getting alot of exercise too which is great. I have always wanted to see the Smokey Mountains...must be gorgeous there.

Hope you and your husband have a wonderful Saturday. xo xo xo
Thank you, thank you. <3 The Smokies are great. I haven't been since I discovered I actually enjoyed being outdoors and exercising, hah. But for now, the Great Smoky Pork Butts will have to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
Holy frijoles - you're back!!
I LIIIIIIVE. Not the most triumphant return, but a return nonetheless. Also I learned a LOT about what I want out of life (nutritionally) while I was gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikersMom View Post
I'm so glad you're back! I love your great attitude - it's inspiring! Can't wait to see those butt pictures - um, smoked pork butt pictures.
Thank you thank you. I'm happy to be back too. It feels good to be writing again. I definitely have a great attitude now. When I was eating badly, you'd be shocked at how down on myself, and just plain nasty I felt. Eating like crap just gave me a crap attitude.

--

THIS HAS BEEN RESTING FOR ~40 MINUTES

NGHHHHGNGHHHHHHHHHHHHH 23 MINUTES TO GO HURRY UP HURRY UP!
Old 11-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

The pork went in at about 6:15, and we tucked into the finished, rested pork at about 5:15. Not bad! I was honestly expecting it to take longer than 12 hours.

TRIP REPORT:

PORK WAS SMOKED.

The bark was so nicely developed. Ughhh just look at it! It smelled amazing when I pulled the foil away.

Tender, LIKE BUTTAH. A few tough spots, but I think that was because this was a boneless butt, so there were a few thin, odd weird pieces hanging off that got a little dry. Most of it was just so so so so smooth, and the fat is just tender and delicious, buttery-salty melty goodness.

A sizeable smoke ring!

OHHHH MY LORD. My husband and I ate in silence because we were in heaven. There's another butt we did today too, and it's currently resting (finished it in the oven, ran out of charcoal fuel). I will be living off of this for the next few days...

Happy girl.

LOW CARB ROCKS GUYS
Old 11-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limetwist View Post
Eating like crap just gave me a crap attitude.
Truer words have never been spoken.

The smoked butts look so appealing. Wish I could come for dinner.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhonda in Phx
Stats: 296.6/279.6/140
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 8/2002
Reading about your moment gives me hope that I will get mine!! Happy LCing
Rhonda in Phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
All hail, the Mistress of the Pork Butt returns!!!
So happy to see you back Cristin, and to have the chance to drool over your delicious pork and other creations
You're doing great! We all have slip ups, and its so great that you found your way back to what you know is healthy for you. I'm sure the weight will be gone in no time!
Maaaaan I wish I had a smoker! DH and I really want to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving this year!
So glad to have you back
Cheers!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Mmm, warm some of that pesto up a little, add some hwc and thicken a little and it makes a wonderful sauce to go over many things. Whatever you want.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaGetz View Post
Truer words have never been spoken.

The smoked butts look so appealing. Wish I could come for dinner.
I will live by those words, Lola. As God is my witness!

Sometimes I do wish we had more family or friends around us. I sure do love cooking, but it's almost always for two nowadays. We're all alone in Tennessee! All of our family is in KY and NC. I don't mind it, though, as my partner and I are quite the team. ...we just sometimes have to freeze food for later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda in Phx View Post
Reading about your moment gives me hope that I will get mine!! Happy LCing
Do you mean your "lightbulb moment"? If that's to what you are referring, you will. Unfortunately mine took a few months of ignorance and a minor crisis of my ring turning my hand inflamed and red to make me realize what I was doing to myself. But hey, fear is a really big motivator for me. It sure as hell worked. It's now been over a week, with a giant bowl of Halloween candy sitting in the foyer, and I'm still clean as a whistle. It's hard to get where you need to go if you haven't had your "moment." I totally understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_wonderland View Post
All hail, the Mistress of the Pork Butt returns!!!
So happy to see you back Cristin, and to have the chance to drool over your delicious pork and other creations
You're doing great! We all have slip ups, and its so great that you found your way back to what you know is healthy for you. I'm sure the weight will be gone in no time!
Maaaaan I wish I had a smoker! DH and I really want to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving this year!
So glad to have you back
Cheers!
SHE RETURNS! And with more pork butts! Actually, I'm kind of running low...

I have definitely seen the error of my ways. Feels so good to be back.

The smoker is totally awesome. It takes some time and effort (not to mention waking up early) but it's so worth the payoff.

Do you have a grill? We did not have our smoker last Thanksgiving, and used our Weber kettle to smoke a turkey. Turned out pretty nice! I think we might smoke a turkey in our actual smoker this year for Thanksgiving.

Thank you again, for the warm welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Mmm, warm some of that pesto up a little, add some hwc and thicken a little and it makes a wonderful sauce to go over many things. Whatever you want.
Oh, that's a GREAT idea! I actually have mixed it with mayonnaise before to make a pesto mayo. I think the cream-pesto sauce would go well over some zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.

--

I was a little stalled out the last few days of my first week, just hovering around the same weight. I think I know why! Period time!

I'm, uh...actually really happy, because I had a weird one last month (and a few other strange body things going on, sickness in the morning [low carb flu more than likely] and was kind of wondering if I might be pregnant). I'm not interested in having children (maybe never?) until AT LEAST age 30, so I was sweating a little. Hahah. WHEW! I mean, if it had happened, I would have embraced it, but...thank you, lord!

I honestly think some of the weird hormonal things going on with my body are a result of a combination of birth control and eating all sorts of weird crap. I know that when I started eating low carb a couple of years ago, it actually messed with my menstrual cycle. Something about how fat tissue emit hormones? Not sure of the real reasoning or science behind it, but I'm just wondering if gaining all of that weight made my hormones go out of whack too.

Hormones.

I was feeling a little sick Saturday night. Not sure why. Nauseated, a little headache. I was gaming with my husband and was just like "blgughhhhh I'm sorry I have to go lie down." I felt bad, because it was probably 10 PM. LAME, man! I was exhausted. Justifiably, so, however. We both got up at 5:30 AM to smoke the pork, and we played Step Mania (intense) for probably a half hour's worth of dancing. Good stuff.

So I laid down and passed out, and woke up at about 7 AM. But then I realized that it's actually an hour more than I thought I slept. Hello Daylight Saving! ...or technically, I guess it's "goodbye daylight saving time." I do NOT look forward to driving home in the dark tomorrow at work. It makes all of the people in traffic drive like dummies. At least in the big city.

Woke up at 177.6 today YAYYY!!!

I love that I can literally eat 16.2 ounces of delicious salty smoky pulled pork and wake up almost a pound lighter.

Today, I plan on organizing my drawers and closet, as well as do some cleaning. I am going to get some tubs out of the closet and put away shorts, tank tops, swim suits, etc. that aren't seasonally appropriate. I also have some clothing that's just far too tight on me now. I think I'm going to pack this away, too. Not getting rid of it. Jut pushing it away for another day. Gone, but not forgotten, my friends.

Thank you everyone for your undying support.

Last edited by limetwist; 11-03-2013 at 06:12 AM..