Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #241
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Just keep hanging on, Susan. I'm so sorry the results turned out like this. He must be feeling all mixed up and conflicted right now. And you too.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2014, 08:24 AM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Thinking of you, sweetheart, and so sorry you are going through such a difficult time. I know it is a lot to deal with. Rum and coke may be an understandable comfort in times like this. I'm sure your indulging during such a stressful period will be limited and no longer seem appealing as you adjust to the situation and the immediate stress is reduced.

On a positive note, I wanted to share with you the fact that I went ahead and bought the blood pressure wrist monitor and I like it so much better than the arm cuff type I previously used. I hope it is accurate. My blood pressure registers so much lower at home than at the doctor's ofc. that it is difficult to believe. Tomorrow I think I'm going to first measure using the wrist monitor and then try using the arm cuff to see if both provide the same results.

You take care of yourself, Susan. You will get through this bad period and be more relaxed and more yourself in time.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Morning

Thank you for the care ladies... It does help. Today is better than the last few days, I think my fiancé and I are finally calming down some. Two very fitful nights, bad eating, bad drinking etc.

Today we go to the attny at 3 and I have work stuff to get done. So will be a full afternoon.

I am going to attempt a dd today. As I am at 196 this morning, my January losses are vanishing because of stress eating. And I have to stop that in it's tracks.

Lola! I finally dug my BP machine out yday. Took my first reading just now. 144/108. Going to track this until I go back to my dr. I have very limited knowledge about BP so I have some reading to do on the subject.
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Good luck today honey. You will make it through this and it may even make your relationship even stronger. Thinking of you today!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
Susan, I wish I was there to give you a big hug. It sounds like you need one. It takes a big person to put their own feelings in the backseat and focus on the feelings of the people they love and care about instead. As Gail said, this may even make your relationship stronger. I hope today is better. Atleast you mixed diet with the rum!
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #246
Big Yapper!!!!

Hang in there, Susan.

Your losses won't just disappear, now that you're grabbing control again. You can do this. Remember, it's for you, and you deserve it!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #247
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Hi Susan, just thought you might enjoy this artlicle... ;-)

"Subject: Daily Dose - Prehypertension is a big, fat lie
Date: Apr 1, 2011 5:17 AM

Daily Dose with William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.

Study finds higher BP levels nothing to worry about

Stand back... you might get splattered: Some of the drug industry's biggest sacred cows are being run through the slaughterhouse.

First, researchers ripped the heart out of the cholesterol myth. Now, another group is hacking away at ludicrous blood pressure targets.

Maybe Big Pharma checks are starting to bounce... or maybe researchers have finally grown a pair -- whatever the reason for this insurrection, I'm loving every minute of it.

In a study that would be right at home in The Douglass Report, researchers have found that up to 100 million Americans have needlessly been told they need to do something about their BP levels.

The researchers examined data on 6,682 adults collected between 1959 and 1962, along with data on 13,792 patients who took part in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey between 1971 and 1976.

Old numbers? Sure -- but there's a reason for that: The researchers wanted to turn back the clock to a time when people weren't treated for BP levels that would be considered "prehypertension" or higher by today's standards, and see what happened to them.

And here's what happened: Nothing. Zip, zilch, nada.

For people under 50 years old, the top number -- the systolic reading -- could climb all the way to 200 before any risk kicked in, according to the study in The Journal of General Internal Medicine.

For them, the bottom number -- the diastolic reading -- was actually more important, but the researchers say anyone under 100 on that bottom reading has nothing to worry about.

For patients older than 50, the researchers found that heart risk started to rise after the top number passed 140 -- but really, once you put it all together, it's not too hard to see the bigger picture: Blood pressure is simply NOT a one-size-fits-all proposition.

And this nonsense about keeping BP below 120/80 or even 115/75 -- and the entire "prehypertension" category -- is nothing more than a cynical marketing gimmick created by industry-friendly doctors and government officials who KNEW exactly what they were doing: selling blood pressure meds for their Big Pharma masters.

It's criminal.

Keep reading to find out about yet another side effect of these unnecessary drugs.

BP meds in obesity link

If you're taking BP meds, you're not just fattening Big Pharma's pockets -- you're fattening your own belly.

A new study links some of the most common hypertension drugs to expanding waistlines, finding that beta blockers can dramatically slow the rate at which you burn calories and fat -- turning your metabolism from a bunny to a slug in a heartbeat.

Australian researchers examined 11,438 adults who suffered either high blood pressure, diabetes or both -- and found that those who took beta blockers weighed an average of up to 37 pounds more than those who didn't take the meds... and, naturally, they had bigger waistlines too.

Then, the researchers took a closer look at 11 people on beta blockers and 19 people the same age and weight who were not on the meds.

Using a calorimeter, they found the patients who took the meds burned between 30 and 50 percent fewer calories and fat after each meal than those who didn't. The patients on the meds also had lower levels of physical activity, almost certainly because beta blockers can leave you slow and winded.

Horrible? Sure. But let's not get carried away and say something like this:

"Our hypothesis is that widespread use of beta blockers may fuel the modern-day obesity epidemic," lead researcher Dr. Paul Lee told Reuters Health.

Nice try, doc.

The beta blockers aren't helping, and millions of people take them every day for no good reason -- but the real fuel of the modern-day obesity epidemic comes from all the junk people eat, not junky meds.

On the other hand, any reason to find a way off BP drugs is good enough for me -- so if you think ditching beta blockers will help get your waistline under control, go for it.

Visit a naturopathic physician now who can help ease you off your meds.

And while you're at it, start eating better too.

Keeping up the pressure,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D."

I have personally found that a drug free approach to health care has improved my health after years of using Blood Pressure and Blood Sugar medications.

Hope this helps, locarbman... ;-)
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:05 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Great article! Thank you! It just serves to reaffirm my thinking that I can control my BP with my woe. I just have to find the right keys. I don't want to ever have to take meds for it if I don't have to. The interesting part of that article is the numbers game. The writer makes a great point on the numbers standard. Who really knows what good/bad numbers are? We would assume the medical world. We as consumers bought that idea. Just as we bought into the eggs are bad for you idea, just like we bought into the SAD woe.

Thanks again, this gives me a place to start looking for ways to control my BP, by finding MY right numbers first.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeny View Post
Susan, I wish I was there to give you a big hug. It sounds like you need one. It takes a big person to put their own feelings in the backseat and focus on the feelings of the people they love and care about instead. As Gail said, this may even make your relationship stronger. I hope today is better. Atleast you mixed diet with the rum!
Thanks, I needed this from both you and Gail...

JT and I are solid. We have a relationship others envy. I am so fortunate to have him in my life. And I think he feels the same way, we are best friends and our motto is we can do anything as long as we do it together.

We went to the atty office yday and plunked down a big chunk of money, what we are being told is not good news.

Even if the mother wants JT to give up his rights, even if JT wants to give up his rights, the AG office may not allow it. Their agenda is the kiddo and making sure it has the support of a mother and father. So unless she could prove herself capable by herself, or unless there is another father figure waiting in the wings to pick up that role, they may not allow waiving his parental rights.

That being said, we now have to produce income statements on JT for last year. Ugh. JT makes good money. So if my math is correct, this could be as high as 1600 a month in child support. Not to mention health coverage.

And JT is solid in his resolution that if he's gonna have to pay, he wants his rights. So, he knows that our lifestyle will change dramatically with a child in it.

So our best hope is that her boyfriend wants to man up and adopt, or she can prove herself capable.

All that aside, life goes on... The ranch is still here to be worked, we still have jobs and lives and my young adult children to deal with, we still have to carry on. We had a deep convo last night about just that. That we can't let other things slide because we are focused on this right now.

That includes my woe and health plans. I can't let any one thing derail my goals on feeling better and getting in control of my weight.

Thanks EVERYONE of y'all for the support I'm getting via this journal. Y'all have no idea how much it helps just to yap it all out here.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

And for the record... BP 144/99 today
Old 02-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #251
Big Yapper!!!!

Well, you just never know what kind of an amazing blessing it may turn out to be, having this new babe in your lives. I know it's not what you had planned. Not what your picture of the present or future looked like in your minds. But you have an amazing foundation with your relationship with each other, and that is a wonderful blessing.

Happy Valentine's Day, Susan!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
You're welcome ;-)

Another thought to consider is what is known as the "White Coat Syndrome". My mother's and Aunt's and my blood pressures always read higher in the doctors office than at home...

Best Wishes, locarbman...;-)
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:34 AM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Well, you just never know what kind of an amazing blessing it may turn out to be, having this new babe in your lives. I know it's not what you had planned. Not what your picture of the present or future looked like in your minds. But you have an amazing foundation with your relationship with each other, and that is a wonderful blessing.

Happy Valentine's Day, Susan!
Thank you! Happy valentines to you also!

You always have a way of saying things the right way Carol, thanks for that.

I agree with the fact that every child is a blessing, mine were and I want JT to get that experience for sure, it's not the baby that I'm dreading, it's the dealing with the mother, that is going to be the nightmare. She's going to make visitation and care and any type of custody miserable. And JT barely knew her when she got pg.. It was a summer vacation fling prior to our meeting. They have no relationship and who knows if her parenting standards are any where close to ours. The little girl is almost a year old and JT has never even seen her.

I have so many mixed emotions about all this that it's hard to sift through them all. For his sake, for the baby's sake, and even trying to consider the mothers take on all this, because I too was a single mother for years and I know the uncertainty of that role. Maybe this is for the best. Just wasn't what we had planned for the future.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #254
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
(((HUGS)))) to you, Susan. Staying on plan will help you to cope with all of the added stress. Easier said than done, I know. I, too, am a stress eater.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

You're absolutely right about that cfine... It's my only area of life I feel like I CAN control rt now. Thanks for the hugs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-15-2014, 06:14 AM   #256
Major LCF Poster!

198 and 154/108 this morning, and I feel terrible

I ate really clean yday too, so I'm not understanding why so bloated
Old 02-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #257
Senior LCF Member

You know, sometimes these variations in weight seem totally inexplicable. I suspect there are many unknown factors which contribute to this, not just TOM or what was eaten the previous day. Someone on another thread once mentioned that a variation of as much as 4 pounds is normal and remembering that has comforted me during my own bouncing around. So don't get discouraged.

It's good that you and I have both gotten back in the habit of monitoring our blood pressure. I'm sure yours is high right now at least partly due to the stress you've been under. I think stress plays a huge part in my own blood pressure readings. At the doctor's office recently mine was quite high; at home it's been consistently fine. At first I feared that the wrist monitor readings were inaccurate but I checked by also using the arm cuff and that reading was even lower. So I'm pretty convinced stress is a biggie. You said you've been having some alcohol and have mentioned smoking. Both of those can raise your blood pressure too.

I also really enjoyed the article about BP posted by lowcarbman. It was very interesting and gave me a different perspective on the matter.

Hope you'll be feeling a lot better very soon, Susan.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #258
Big Yapper!!!!

Stress.

I truly believe that stress, all by itself, can cause huge variations in both weight and BP. Think of all the chemical things going on in your body when you're under extreme, or even constant medium grade stress.

You've had quite a bit of stress lately, and a several pretty acute bouts as well, so take it easy in your reactions to the bounces. Your body is just trying to deal with all of this stuff, just like your head is.

Hang in there!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

Morning... In a hurry today or I would respond more, maybe I can update later. Crazy things HAVE to be happening in my body and yes, I'm sure it's stress.

196 today, BP at 144/104

And started TOM again yday evening. So... 10 day regular cycle earlier this month and now bleeding again. No wonder I'm a wreck.

Love you all. I'll catch up later.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #260
Major LCF Poster!

Morning... Hopefully a quiet one. Been a few hectic days for me.

I had issues with a bartender at work Saturday (just what I needed right?) her Friday night shift was a big mess with her deciding it was ok to have shots behind the bar while working, and she ended up leaving the bar a train wreck money wise, and duties wise. So I've suspended her and have been picking up her shifts. So... Double shift sat and double shift Sunday. I'm tired and decidedly old. Lol. I can bartend circles around my staff, but being on my feet and pretending to be happy about it are two entirely different things. And being stressed anyways makes me really dislike my customers.

Ugh. So anyways, partial day off here... Going to go do my banking in a bit, then back home to hopefully get laundry and some cooking done.

My weight is back up, BP is high, and I'm sure it's a combo of stress, poor high sodium and higher carb choices yday, and the fact that I'm bleeding again. My hormones must be totally out of whack. I've been bleeding 14 days out of 17 so far this month. Least I'm not pg or getting that way I guess rt?

Thankful the weather isn't awful right now, I have ribs dry rubbed in the fridge to do outside this evening.

In the little bit of self time I did have yday I ordered new dirt/compost for my spring garden. Am getting it tomorrow and we will be shopping for plants this week also. Looking forward to that.

JT and I had an off day, to be expected I guess as we muddle thru the feelings and emotions that new changes are going to bring. It's hard not to be mad at him for past choices and I need to just get over that part and deal with what's to come.

Taking my supps, going to work and maybe will have some down time later to update.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #261
Senior LCF Member

You have been going through some mighty stormy weather, Susan. I'm so impressed with your stamina and strength. You've dealt with multiple crises with grace and wisdom. I so admire you.

I've recently been reading about the fact that CoQ10 can have a beneficial effect on blood pressure. If you ever have a moment to research that you may want to do so. I am now taking it every day and my BP readings have been very good.

I hope you'll have smoother sailing soon. Happy trails.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

BP 157/100

Lola you're always so kind. I have not read about the coq10 - I'll put that on my list!

Had a pretty ok day yday, for once lol. I stayed on plan, my ribs were really good, decided to do them in the oven and finish them on the grill.

Before work today, I'm headed to get my taxes done. Yuk! Bet I have to pay in this year.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #263
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I also take CoQ10 and fish oil. Vitamin D3 and K2 are also good for the heart.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:21 AM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Hey Susan, you are doing great managing several challenging situations while staying on plan. I agree with Lola -- I really admire how you are handling everything. No wonder why JT loves you so much! xo
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 AM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

195.4 this morning, right smack dab where I started at the first of feb. Boo on whacky hormones.

I do however have a dr appt at 140 today to talk about my BP.. And to get a culture done on a boil that has appeared, and maybe find out why I've had these things for years. Lots of drs have looked at them, rxed a script for them. But none have ever done a culture. The nurse also told me to bring my BP machine so we can compare to theirs. Which I think is smart.

Off to read about coq10 before heading out n about
Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #266
Big Yapper!!!!

Good luck and hope you get some good answers, Susan!
Old 02-21-2014, 06:05 AM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

Well I'm not diabetic, that seems to be the only good news so far. Scale said 199.2 earlier and I'm baffled. Bloated and baffled. BP is 156/107 rt now. I've not stayed too far off plan, so I know it's water retention... But it's hard to tell my head that when you see it on the scales. I even had a really solid dd yday too.

Picking up rx for ace inhibitor today, he promised low dose and reasonably priced. We will see.

Headed to work to see why my accounts are in the tank. Just looked at my accounts online. Ugh. Stupid owner withdrawing funds I'm sure.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #268
Big Yapper!!!!

Not being diabetic is huge! You certainly don't want to go down that road if you don't have to. And you're being pro-active about the other stuff, and I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out.

Hang in there on with the scale! It doesn't tell the whole story. I haven't weighed since late January, and I'm kind of scared to. I've been exercising a whole lot more, so I may be up. I don't feel like I've been burning away a lot of fat, but we'll see. I think I need to go back to regular weighing soon.

Good luck with your accounts. Stupid boss.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 02-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Lol. Sometimes I just have to laugh at the absolute circus my life is. Seriously.

Second day of lisinopril, still tom, cannot get my engagement ring off due to bloat. Was trying to enjoy my bpc and phone starts blowing up, bartender that lost her mind last Friday just msged me to tell me her car caught fire last night? (This I gotta see) and won't be in to work today. Yay. I get to cover her shift, awesome huh? Nope, I didn't have plans after working 16 hours yday. Nope I didn't have plans to go to my friends 40th bday BBQ. JT is gonna be thrilled. NOT.

200.4 on the suz-ass-o-meter this morning. I just stepped off and walked away.

Ahh. Have a good day y'all lol. This might be one for the books.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #270
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
This might be one for the books.
Seriously. You could write a book! Maybe you should think about it!

Hope your day gets better. Something wonderful is in store for you. I'd bet on it.