Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
I've sat here for about an hour reading the three responses to last nights post I made and staring at this screen. First... Y'all are awesome, to think that total strangers took time out of their own lives to support and respond to me is pretty overwhelming. Thanks y'all.

I've decided what's happening here is I am scrambling to justify and rationalize my eating dysfunctions. It's not JUDDD that made me derail. I need to say that out loud. It's not too restrictive LC that caused me to derail. It's my addiction to unhealthy foods. And my omnipotent opinion of myself.

Whew. Glad that's out there. So without going into greater detail of my warped sense of self importance and know-it-all-ism, here's my plan of attack.

A. I'm pre ordering the JUDDD book that's coming out. I feel that I need to. Just like my dog eared copy of DANDR. It needs to be in my hand so I can learn it and learn to trust it. It took me a long time to trust LC, so it won't happen overnight I know.

B. I need to create a plan of my own that uses both LC and JUDDD. my reasoning for that is... I'm already committed to my rules of LC, such as no wheat, sugar, potatoes, corn etc. I can't change that. I can't eat those things and be healthy. That's a fact. No plan or plans that I choose can include those things. I have to remind myself that just because others can use them in their plan they have no place in mine. They made me fat and sick for decades and just because some can have them doesn't mean I can. Besides that...if I am being item, portion and calorie restrictive I need to focus on high quality, most nutritional bang for my so called health buck. I already have enough toxic things going on in my life and mouth/body ie: cigarettes, booze and diet cokes. without knowingly adding those things back, no matter if JUDDD says it doesn't care where the calories come from. I have to care.

C. I am a sloth when it comes to tracking. Admitted. Right here in my own journal lol. I need to work diligently on that and create a routine for it. If I dont I will fail. That again is a real hard truth. You would think that with my background for numbers (think daily bar inventory, ordering to par, banking for a large company etc) that tracking would be easy for me. But it's like I've got this aversion to it in my personal life because it's such a large part of my work life. Make sense. So I need to get over it. And just freakin do it. And do it right.

So.... Where does all that take me? It takes me to one day at a time. And today is supposed to be an up day, and I'm going to make the most of it with good LC choices, fuel my body for a seriously tracked and good down day tomorrow.

WHEW. I'm a real winner lol.
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
You ARE a winner, Susan.

A winner admits when things are going wrong and willing to put on the brakes. A winner admits when they need to slow down and reassess. A winner thinks logically and puts forth a plan that will help them reach their goals. Take a good look in the mirror, honey...that's YOU.

I tried JUDDD last year for about 6 months...prior to that I did Atkins to the letter and only to eek out about a 12 lb weight loss... I was so adversely against doing JUDDD because I did not want to count those damn calories Well, while I ended up not staying with the program, I did learn ALOT about myself and my body and learned that I would not die from feeling hunger, nor having to count those calories. Good on you for ordering the book and reading what the plan is really about. Researching and reading all we can is the best way to ensure success!

Good luck as you continue on your journey.. you CAN do this. You will always have stumbles along the way but nothing that will ever stop you long enough to not keep you from moving forward. Weightloss is most definitely not linear but all that matters is getting to the end. Enjoy the journey and learn all you can, about yourself, and what your relationship to food is. This is for you and nobody else. Your experience will be uniquely yours, and yours alone. Be proud of it! Trust Your Process!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
That is exactly the kind of thinking I had to go through when I started getting a handle on what I was eating and changing what needed changing. I think you have a great plan Susan.
Lola- it sounds like you have a really good sense of what works for you. I hope I don't sound like I think JUDDD is what everyone needs to do. It helps me because it makes me really look at my food choices and to pick the things that fill me up and are nutritious for the calories. I know that when I tell people about JUDDD they are surprised that I can eat anything, but in reality I really try to avoid anything that triggers my appetite or has a lot of empty calories as those UD calories do not feel like all that many to me. Sorry to be blabbing on your Journal page Susan! I just didn't want to sound like a diet snob, as I think the secret to being slim and healthy is figuring out what works best for your own body & mind and being happy sticking to it!
Hi Danielle! I agree with you it is a definitely a learning journey.

Last edited by Babsbabs; 12-07-2013 at 11:30 AM..
Babsbabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Oh, Babs...you didn't at all sound like you think JUDDD is for everyone nor did you sound in any way a 'diet snob'. Quite the reverse, in fact. I thought what you wrote was informative and helpful. I'm always interested in learning about different approaches to healthful eating and I like finding out about what works for others. I simply have some fragility when it comes to maintaining balance and moderation so I find it best to avoid certain temptations which have in the past led me down the garden path. LOL.

Susan, your plan sounds an excellent one. Getting the book and broadening your understanding makes good sense. Studying and learning more about something I'm trying to accomplish always makes me feel more grounded and secure. A good foundation aids success and I am sure that is where you are headed.

And, Susan, I hope I don't sound presumptious, but for some reason I don't feel you are a stranger. Maybe because on this forum we often share very personal things we may be reluctant to discuss with friends IRL. At least that is the case for me. I rarely speak about the eating issues which concern me anywhere else but here. So in that sense I feel that you are a friend and, through all that you've shared here, a stranger no more. And you know how much I'm cheering you on, rooting for your success.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #125
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
You're plan sounds great, Susan. You've really thought it through and made some good decisions. I wish only the best of luck for you!

Lola, and Susan too, I totally understand needing to stay LC. For me, while I do allow myself some carby foods (especially this time of year ), I really do prefer to limit my carbs. Most especially wheat and sugar. My body just doesn't feel good after eating them. JUDDD is so wonderfully flexible that you can eat however you like while doing it. I've even seen a few vegans and vegetarians do it quite successfully. Others eat quite a lot of junk food and still lose. You just have to know what your body will tolerate and what it prefers.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

I love you all.

So what was supposed to be an up day yday turned into a down day.
We have a friend who runs a home for special needs children, called hope house of Austin. And all week long we've been planning on going to the benefit bull riding toy drive for the kiddos yday, so I shoved myself into my best jeans, with all my bling bling on. Wish I had pics lol, and we went and braved the 23 degrees to watch bull riding all day. So had my coffee yday morning and nothing else until I got to the bar late in the afternoon, then I had rum. Several rums.

And that was it for the day. Not the most ideal way to get a down day in, but whatever. Today I'm at 199.2! Prob dehydrated from the alcohol, but I'll take it.

So today I have to eat, and eat well. I'm roasting a chicken to make into chicken salad right now, and that will be lunch, on romaine. Then dinner is going to be the ribeyes that didn't get grilled last night, with butternut squash with butter, yum.

You all have given me so much support, I can't thank you enough. My journey is gonna be a wild ride and I'm glad I have such intelligent, thoughtful and caring ppl to share it with.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Dani, I loved your post -- so right on. Susan, we are here for you, hon. You are doing really well navigating the wilderness of low carb and JUDDD. You will find the right approach but in the meantime you are eating much healthier which is just a huge victory all the way around. Your dinner tonight sounds great -- I love butternut squash.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #128
Big Yapper!!!!

Sounds like a good DD to me.....coffee and rum!

And on entering Onederland! Wooooooo!
Old 12-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Gail... Butternut is my absolute favorite veg, maybe my fav food of all time. I used to roast it with brown sugar, but now I'm finding I like it better without, just steam it til soft, salt pepper and butttaaaaaa

And thanks on the onederland comments Carol, I know it may not stick, but it's better than 205! And the more times I bounce down to it the closer I am to making it a fact and gone!
Old 12-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Dinner!

Cool center ribeye, and this was only half of it! Delicious butternut squash and romaine and grape tomatos, with ranch. The roasted garlic made it all perfect!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

202.3 sigh. Rings are tight and I'm still feeling full from dinner last night, so maybe I will be able to pull this DD off without being too hungry.

Got up too early this morning, I may try to lay back down for about an hour. I have a busy day ahead at work and with my son. He's struggling, can't find a job, roomies threatening to boot him out if he doesn't get one soon. So going to go see him, offer some love, maybe help him hit up some places to put in applications.

Yep, back to bed I go for a few.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #132
Big Yapper!!!!

My Onederland comments still apply, even though it didn't stick today. Because it will and very soon. I did the same thing - bounced around it for awhile. Frustrating, but soon it will be in your rearview mirror and getting further and further away.

Sorry to hear about DS. Poor guy. I'll bet some mama-love will make him feel better. And probably make mama feel better too.

Have a great day!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
Susan, have you ever tried making fat bombs? When I was about 1 month into my journey, I hit a stall. I wasn't moving for about a week or so and was feeling frustrated. Someone suggested making fat bombs, and they worked for me! There are so many different variations. It just increases your fat for the day, and they taste pretty good too. Search it on here and I am sure you will find many different recipes.
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, I love Lisa's idea about the fat bombs -- lots of folks have been really successful with them. And you can make them in all kinds of yummy flavors like chocolate, peanut butter, lemon, vanilla, orange, oreo, etc. And LoCarbGal is right about the mama love -- your son is lucky to have you, hon.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Morning, icy and cold as a well diggers behind in Montana.

200.4 this morning, after a DD yday, I came in under 600 calories which was a little tough! I made home made chicken and dumplings last night and didn't partake. Had my son over and needed to fill him up, daughter came too, and it's fiances favorite. So today..... Leftovers! I'm excited about that lol.

So, I've been trying my hardest to read my new book, The Art and science of low carb. It's hard it's almost as technical as good calories bad calories. I keep hoping it becomes an easier read.

I haven't tried the fat bombs, I've read the recipes though and they sound really good. Thing is, I don't miss sweet stuff, so on that side of them it's not that appealing, now if we could make one taste like a chicken fried steak with gravy and Texas toast? I'd be all over it. Maybe when we get closer to Christmas I'll make them.

Fiancé has a cough and sore throat today, hacking right now, and y'all.. I love this man with all my heart body and soul.. But I am the worst caregiver. Only on my first cup of coffee and I'm tempted to tell him "get over it" lol. Isn't that mean? What a baby. I suppose this means I'll spend the next few days listening to him cough and telling him to make a dr appointment and he will just want to be babied and will avoid a dr. Men. Good thing I've got plenty of broth and chicken n dumplings.

Haven't put our tree up yet, maybe sorta avoiding it? I need to talk to my dad, I'd really like to have most of my mothers ornaments, and I need to share with my sister. We'll see about that today.

I haven't taken any photos of my weight loss journey yet, I found one of myself yday taken on July 4th and it's AWFUL. it was the week before I cut out sugar, and wheat. Just awful. So if I manage to get cleaned up enough today for a pic, I may post both. I hate pics, and it's because I have always been fat. Will be something I need to overcome.

Ok, off to baby the grownass man lol. I need to be nicer.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #136
Big Yapper!!!!

You make me laugh, Susan! I love your sense of humor! I can see you're a sarcastic girl, after my own heart.

Sorry fiancé is sick. And a baby. And needy. But you do love him, so you'll get through it.

I so know what you mean about photos. Even when I'm close to my goal weight, that camera seems to find every lump, bump, chin, wrinkle, etc. Not to mention, I always manage to blink and look stoned in every shot. I'm really not ALWAYS stoned. (kidding!) But I have actually considered destroying all photos with me when I'm really heavy. I just think my family would hate me forever if I did. I forget who had a post about that in her journal recently, and it gave me a new perspective. I'll have to see if I can find that again.

ETA: Here's that post, from Danielle's (DesertGurl) journal:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/teresa...comm_ref=false

Have yourself a great UD and enjoy those chicken and dumplings!

Last edited by LoCarbGal; 12-10-2013 at 08:33 AM..
Old 12-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Long long day today, I again... Hate my job. I love my wimpy sick man and I adore chicken n dumplings. I spent about an hour with mama at the cemetery sobbing and asking her how do I keep doing this? Without answers.

Headed to bed with snuffalufagus. He's actually really sweet and loves me without hesitation, which in itself is amazing.

All that aside, I'm taking magnesium for dessert and hoping for a loss in the morning after this up day. Cheers to onederland.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

I'm sorry your job, with all of its stresses and unpleasant aspects, is still weighing so heavily on you. Life is difficult when we dislike whatever we spend our days doing. I hope that, even if you cannot leave the job entirely, you'll be able to find more that is pleasurable about it and more moments of happiness within your days.

I've recently begun taking a magnesium supplement before bed (in addition to the one I take during the day) and have been astounded by the fact that I've been sleeping so soundly and deeply and well since I started doing that. I mentioned my amazement and gratitude to my DH and he, with a gentle laugh, reminded me that my experience is not proof that magnesium is a miracle sleep aid. Anecdotal evidence only or not, I'll take it.

Last edited by LolaGetz; 12-11-2013 at 03:55 AM..
Old 12-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

200.4 this morning, and glad to have that after the amt of chicken n dumplings I managed to chow down on.

Today is a DD so planning on coffee, broth, and maybe chicken salad tonight for dinner. I'm finding that on these down days, if I eat anything at all early in the day, it sets me off to want to eat more. Not sure if that's mental or actually physical or not, but I think it's important to identify it for my transitioning over to JUDDD.

Getting a small break in the extreme weather here today and warming up a little. Will be nice to not be so blessed cold for a day or two. I dunno how ppl up north do it.

The job thing is tricky. I am good at what I do, but I've got battles at this job that I know I just can't win. The owner has a blatant disregard for the rules and is doing his personal banking out of the bar. Which is causing my funds to work with to be tight. He also allows his gf to hang out there, unemployed, drink for free, and drive my business away with her outrageous antics. Plus he then does things like a pay out for fuel for her truck? Wth is he thinking. Anyways. I hate to quit it because it's close to home, I set my own hours, and I've put a year in with it and a lot of effort to bring it back from the brink of closing. He just continues to sabotage my efforts. Sigh.

I think I'm going back to bed.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #140
Big Yapper!!!!

I completely understand working for a businessowner who acts like that. I put in a year and worked my tail off to get this business back in order for this guy, and he just kept undoing all my efforts. I had to move on, but the business was truly failing, so it was just a matter of time anyway. You've got a different situation there. Good luck!

DD for me here too. And like you, trying to put off eating until later to avoid waking up the hungries. Have a great one - onederland is coming to stay!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

I am starving. That is all. Lol. Damn DD
Old 12-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #142
Big Yapper!!!!

Sometimes they are super-hard! I had a great DD today until after dinner, and then I struggled. I wasn't "hungry", I just wanted to eat.

Did you manage to make it through? I hope so - it's so worth it in the end. Once you get the DDs down pat, you'll mostly cruise right through them.

Sleep well!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Rain rain go away....

Pouring and cold here this morning and I got woken by my phone ringing, here's the good part about that. I was asleep lol. First time in a very long time I didn't wake up 2-3 times. I took benedryl about midnight, and slept til 8. Who knew?

I had a decent down day day before yday, except cocktails. That seems to be my downfall on down days. Then yday was out of control eating again, carbs everywhere. I've pretty much slipped down the slope and it ends today. I'm not sure I can be trusted to ever have them in my woe. So as a result I'm at 202.3 bloated lbs this morning. The good news is I know it's water retention. There is no way I've put on 3 lbs overnight. That being said today has to be clean clean clean. The chicken n dumplings are finally gone. Thank The Lord. DD today so hopefully I can stick it out.

I did get my Christmas tree up finally! Now to think about shopping some and getting that taken care of. Maybe this weekend.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #144
Big Yapper!!!!

Benadryl is great for helping with sleep! Too bad that stupid phone rang!

I know what you mean about carbs causing the out-of-control thing. I think I've finally gotten to the stage where I'm really not in danger of that 98% of the time. Sticking with JUDDD for over a year has helped me tremendously with that, and I never ever thought I'd get there.

You'll do great on today's DD. I'm right in it with you - we can both do it. I'm allowing myself up to 500 calories today. I've never tried to have a cocktail on a DD, although I've thought about having an all alcohol DD! If only my control didn't leave me when I imbibe!
Old 12-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Let the shopping begin! Soon as darlin gets up and moving we are armed with out lists and debit cards. And the sun is shining, supposed to be a high in the fifties today, yay!

DD yday was ok, I came in at 650 which is prolly not getting my sirt things swirling, but pretty low calorie for a recent convert. And stayed LC which since adding in JUDDD has been an issue. So I call success on the day. Weighed 199.8

First order of business is I've got a cow on the way to the slaughter/butcher and am really looking fwd to that. I haven't had one done for about a year and am looking fwd to not buying beef from the grocery. Plus knowing exactly what it's eaten all it's life is very comforting. This particular cow was out of my dad's herd and is two years old, 900#, black angus cross, wormed every 6 months and completely grass fed. No grain. No hormones, no weirdness. If only now I had the heart and patience to kill my own chickens instead of just using their eggs I'd be set. Except pork. Yuk. We used to raise hogs when I was a kid. They are nasty. Even organically fed and hand raised... I still want my pork from the grocery.

So I'm going to ask in the JUDDD forum today from some of the LC JUDDD folks which is more important to them, ketosis or sirt1, because I got to thinking about it yday and wondering, is that the JUDDD advantage? Can you have both processes going on in your body at the same time? Are there any studies to support that? What about those folks that are not LC and still successfully lose on just JUDDD? I know for me.... I can't do carbs, these last up days when I've included carbs have been bad, in the sense of how I feel.. Not just the weight I didn't lose, but the achy joints, the water retention, the overall feeling of blah.

Anyways, just am curious to how it all works.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

RATS RATS RATS AND MORE RATS.

bartender for today's shift just called me with the sniffles. Ugh. Off to work I go running late covering her shift. Lord help me not be a big ole b word today.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Susan, on the JUDDD thread read the recent one about doing JUDDD low carb. There is a great explanation about the SRT 1s and ketosis and that they might be very similar. The poster, Nancy, is very knowledgable about all of this.

Here is the link. JUDD and LC

Last edited by Seabreezes; 12-14-2013 at 05:16 PM..
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Gotta check in. I'm tired, exhausted really. My job is sucking the lifeblood from me. The day I decide to quit it will be a glorious day.

Was a good weekend overall, a little rum, but nothing too crazy. We had friends over for steaks tonight which today was supposed to be a down day and fiancé sprung this on me last minute. And it's ok! I can do 2 up days as long as I stay LC and I did. My ribeye was superb and not regretting it one bit.

My fiancé spent 3 hours on the roof putting up Christmas lights that NO ONE but us will ever see. Lol. Bless his heart. He does love me.

I felt skinny today, although I know I'm not.. I felt skinny. Make sense? Jeans fitting nicely and just an overall sense of skinny. Dunno how to describe it exactly. I like it and want more days like that.

I've decided I need to take supplements regularly. I am going to research the what's and g or whys of them, in the next coming days and develope a cocktail of them that suits me, vitamin d, magnesium, some zinc for sure, and maybe the eon they talk about on the JUDDD board, pst? Something or another. I'll look into it. I just know, from basic human physiology course, that I'm likely not meeting my needs as far as vitamins go. None of us are IMO.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:05 AM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Glad you are feeling skinny -- that is a good thing -- and I am sure you continue to make progress with your weight loss. So sweet about your fiancé putting up the Christmas lights too. As for the supplements, I have heard great things about all of the ones you mentioned above, especially magnesium.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

I myself am currently besotted with magnesium. For years now I've slept only about 6 -7 hours max per night. I wasn't having any trouble falling asleep but awoke during the night to go to the bathroom and almost always remained awake for an hour or two afterwards. And I would consistently wake up about 4 a.m. and at that point give up on sleeping any longer. But I've recently started popping a magnesium tablet before bed and have been blown away by the fact that I'm now sleeping 8 hours every night. I still get up to go to the bathroom as always but then I'm falling right back asleep and have been sleeping until after 5 a.m (and this past weekend actually slept until 6:30 one morning....something I've not done in years. And boy, does it ever feel great to have had 8 hours...I just feel amazingly better, in better spirits and more energetic. I am truly amazed and pray my good fortune continues.