Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Journals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/)
-   -   Mary's Daily Hike (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/814640-marys-daily-hike.html)

MaryThompson 10-12-2013 04:09 AM

Mary's Daily Hike

Hey Everyone -

My name is Mary and I'm a sugar and food addict, a chronic recidivist. I won't bore us all with my entire long story (at least not today), but suffice to say I'm back on a Low Carb plan (my personal version of atkins/paleo)

I'll use this "blog" thread to chart my progress and thoughts as I go.

I re-started the LC plan on Sun 6 Oct 2013 and weighed 287 that day. (btw - I'm 5' 8") Today, only 7 days later, Sat 12 Oct, I weighed 280. A lot of it's water, of course. I did nothing but pee the first few days. But it's still encouraging.

My weight goal is to weigh less than 200 lbs (which I haven't seen in at least 25 years) and be able to fit into clothes off-the-rack, especially clothes from REI or similar places.

My inner-ten-year-old is an REI kind of person - outdoorsy - sports, hiking, biking - but my inner-adult-child's addiction to food and sugar has given me a couch potato body.

More important to me than the actual numbers on the scale, however, is what I'll be able to do. I want to jog 5Ks, bike 50 miles, and do day hikes in the mountains that are 10 or more miles.

For the last couple months, I've been having personal training at the gym, and it's made a huge difference in my strength, stamina, endurance, etc. Plus, I dropped 1 size in jeans although the scale didn't change.

However, since starting the LC in the last week, I've had some of the usual symptoms - mild wooziness, slower to warm up for exercise, less aerobic endurance - while my body makes all the adjustments necessary to continue LC indefinitely. Hopefully, this phase won't last much longer and I'll slip into the serious fat-burning, energy-abundant phase.

As for what I'd like from you, my readers - short notes of encouragement or advice are fine. No discussions. I'll post updates when there's news to post.

Peace,
Mary.

MaryThompson 10-13-2013 05:31 PM

Ketosis Update

I've been on-plan now for a full week. I measured my ketones this evening just to see... and I'm positive for ketones. That's happying. :jumpjoy:

Although my appetite is way down compared to what it was before LC, I haven't found the euphoria or endless energy yet. I still get more winded than I should - based on what I was already able to do prior to going back on LC - so I'm still waiting for that goodness.

Thanks for reading. Until next time!

kjwalsh 10-15-2013 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryThompson (Post 16641816)
Although my appetite is way down compared to what it was before LC, I haven't found the euphoria or endless energy yet. I still get more winded than I should - based on what I was already able to do prior to going back on LC - so I'm still waiting for that goodness.

Hang in there!

GailyGail 10-15-2013 04:24 AM

Mary, it is great that you are in ketosis! And congratulations on your weight loss. Like KJ said, hang in there and more benefits will come.

MaryThompson 10-15-2013 04:38 AM

Thanks kjwalsh and GailyGail!

MaryThompson 10-16-2013 10:17 AM

Painful Periformis

While I'm still waiting for my endless energy to kick in, my periformis syndrome has decided to act up again. It began as a mild ache on Monday, and wasn't that bad after my gym workout that afternoon. But then I had an easy 3 mile walk yesterday and since then I've been in pain. The pain even made it difficult to sleep last night.

I've called my massage therapist and I'm waiting to hear back as to when she can see me. I hope it's soon.

If I can't get my hip worked on today, I'll be going to the gym this afternoon. If I do get an appointment, I'll miss the gym today and make up the session tomorrow.

I'd already planned on hiking or biking again on Friday. My hip had better loosen up by then.

Meanwhile, I'm sticking to the LC eating plan, no problem. My only problem is that I miss the habit of eating more often. Since I'm not hungry, I don't think about food all the time - which is good - but there's still a part of me that says, like, "Oh, we just finished [whatever activity] - time to eat something."

Then I have to remind myself I don't need to eat. I'm not hungry. And besides, no more Clif bars or whatever.

Then the part of me that suggested a snack pouts a little while and toes the dirt.

It's tiresome.

MaryThompson 10-19-2013 06:40 PM

Almost 2 weeks

I've been on LC now nearly 2 weeks - I think tomorrow is day 14. Everything is going well. I'm exercising. I'm eating on-plan.

But the scale is stuck at 280-283. And I haven't slipped into the endless energy phase.

I began actually counting my carbs and discovered I was 30-40 grams. Cut back today to below 10 grams. I know any day now I'll trip the switch and break the 280 barrier and have my 2 days of 'flu.' Then it will be smooth sailing.

I went to a new massage therapist for my piriformis syndrome this last week and she worked wonders. It aches this evening because of my 3 mile hike today, but it has been much better. I have another appt with her on Thursday morning.

More updates as it happens.

MaryThompson 10-21-2013 08:25 AM

Vicious Cycle with Good News

It's very frustrating. Exercise is necessary and I even usually like doing it. But if I do the exercise I enjoy the most (hiking), my piriformis is aggravated to the point that I limp for the next couple days. Plus it hurts constantly whether I'm doing anything or not.

My pain level was way down after my massage therapy on Thursday. The bike ride on Friday was fine. But now I've been in pain again since my Saturday afternoon hike which wasn't particularly long or difficult.

Walking aggravates my piriformis. Stretching (which everyone recommends ad nauseum) usually aggravates it.

In the good news column, though, I broke the 280 barrier and weighed in at 279.6 this morning. :jumpjoy:

35down 10-21-2013 01:23 PM

:hiya: Congrats on breaking that 280 barrier! Sorry about your pain issue that is messing with your exercise. I had to look up piriformis to see what that was. Had not heard of it before. So I have added a little knowledge to the brain files.

Anyway, pain issue not so good news, :sad: weight loss very good news.:clap:

Joni:)

MaryThompson 12-18-2013 02:33 AM

Back to Basics

Hey Everyone -

I'm frustrated at the moment because I wrote this blog/letter/post already and then when I clicked 'submit' there was a glitch somewhere in cyberspace and it was all lost. So I'm doing it again.

I haven't posted in a while - obviously. I didn't realize how long it had been until I came back and saw my last post. I've been in pain since October.

The good news is that the pain is mostly gone - only a mild occasional spasm.

The bad news is that over the past moth or so - since I was entirely sidelined - I've slid back into the pit of sugar, carbs, and alcohol.

Now I'm having to - again - dig my way out and find my way back to everything that makes me feel happy and healthy instead of lethargic and bloated.

I'll start Atkins72 induction again. Probably tomorrow, since I have an event tonight that I must attend. I don't socialize a lot, being an introvert and all, but there's plenty of temptation in my own house anyway.

There was more in the first version...but this was the gist of it. Let's hope cyberspace doesn't eat this one.

MaryThompson 12-19-2013 04:27 AM

Slight Alternation

Despite what I said yesterday, I think going cold-turkey overnight without any planning or adjusting, less than a week before Xmas, isn't a good idea. I'm trying to be realistic. So, the revised plan is to spend the next week merely cutting back carbs to, say, >50 and getting back into the habit of tracking my food with my iPad. (I use an app called Carb Manager - not great, but it works)

Then on the day after Xmas, I'll be more psychologically and physiologically ready to drop the carb count to Atkins72 induction level (essentially <10)

So that's the plan. Despite my internal resistance to tracking my food and to reporting to others, that's what I'm going to start doing. Track what I eat and the carb count, and then report here my numbers and how it's going.

Here goes.

MaryThompson 12-20-2013 06:19 AM

How Yesterday Went

Despite what I said yesterday about postponing the start of my induction, the first 2/3 of the day ended up being very induction-like. Cheese and bacon omelette for breakfast and homemade deep-fried pork cracklings for lunch.

(I'd never made pork cracklings before - so that was a fun experiment - they were delicious - way better than the store-bought pork rinds.)

Then for supper, we ordered in Gyros - and I ate the pita that mine came in, then while we were decorating the tree I finished off the last 4 of my pecan sandies cookies.

My taste buds loved the cookies, but I felt kinda icky afterwards, a reminder to me of why I'm doing all this... because sugar and flour aren't my friends despite what my taste buds tell me.

So today again, I will probably eat induction-style most of the day but not be too strict with myself. True induction starts December 27th for me. Until then, I'm just revving my engines and getting in gear.

Since I'm out of my personal favorite cookies now, there's much less temptation. The house is full of carbs - but those are my husband and our grown daughter's choices. I can avoid eating most of what's here fairly easily, especially if I plan ahead and have LC food on hand and don't give myself permission to stray.

That's how I end up on the slippery slope... I say, just one won't hurt, it's a treat, it's okay just now because [holiday] or [my hip hurts] or [the day ends in Y] or [other exception] or [whatever]. Then next thing I know, I'm knee deep in cookies and popcorn and Jack Daniels and coke.

If I can not give myself permission for that first bite or first drink, then I do pretty good, pretty easily sticking to plan.

I know this, but sometimes end up slipping anyway. (and I used to think I was a fast learner. :laugh:)

So that's my report.

MaryThompson 12-27-2013 09:01 AM

Post-Xmas Update

Hey All -

Although I ate more than usual over Xmas eve and Xmas day, including a significant amount of carbs, alcohol, and sugar, I weighed 286 yesterday and today, which is less than I expected and sets me back only to where I was back in October.

This feels like good news because I expected my weight to be up in the 290s (if not 300s), so mid-280s isn't bad.

I began the LC-Atkins72-Induction yesterday. I tracked everything I ate and stuck to the program fairly easily. My only temptation was to have a drink, but the urge was mild and easily ignored until it went away. I just thought about how I'd feel afterwards and the slippery slope that always begins with just one.

Today is day 2. So far, so good. On plan and keeping busy.

Keeping busy is key. Not eating the old way frees up time which I can put to productive use; and keeping busy keeps me from falling into old habits of eating when bored, etc, or just because the clock says so. I wait 'til I get hungry, then eat what's on the plan.

My first goal is to get back down below the 280 mark. I don't know how quickly that might happen, but surely within 30 days? 5 lbs in 30 days seems like a reasonable goal. If it happens sooner, I'll just reset the goal. :)

I'll post updates as things change.

M.

MaryThompson 12-29-2013 04:06 AM

Moving on Down

Yesterday was day 3. I weighed 285 in the morning (down 1 lb) and everything went well. I warded off mild urges for drink in the evening, but waited them out with little effort.

Today is day 4. I weighed 284 just now.

Tomorrow is my first planned day back at the gym in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to it. I love lifting weights and building muscle. I've missed that these last few weeks.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high or daydream too big about what I'll look like in 6 months or a year. I'm trying to stay in the moment and take it one day - or even one meal - at a time.

It's hard to be both realistic and optimistic at the same time. :laugh: But I refuse to get pessimistic. As long as I'm staying on plan, there's hope. Gotta have hope, just to get out of bed in the mornings.

More again soon,
Mary.

MaryThompson 12-30-2013 04:03 AM

Downward Trend Continues - 5 in 5

Hey all -

I wasn't planning to post anything today, Day 5, but my weight this morning was 281 - wow - so I decided to share the news.

5 lbs in 5 days. :jumpjoy: That's encouraging. (mostly water, of course, but still it's moving in the right direction)

This afternoon will be my first gym workout in a while. Looking forward to it.

M.

MaryThompson 01-01-2014 05:35 AM

Happy New Year!

Last night I stayed up late to bring in the new year, so I'm a bit tired this morning. I completely spaced off weighing myself. The only thing I had off-plan was some Bailey's on ice. I ate more than usual, but it was all on-plan.

I went for a long walk in the afternoon, too, so exercise is getting back on track. I'm going to check the hours of the gym today so I can get that workout in. I don't want to miss it just because I was too lazy to check their website.

MaryThompson 01-06-2014 04:13 AM

Just a Quick Update

I successfully fulfilled a major commitment on Saturday which now frees up time and mental energy to work on the myriad of other things I need/want to do.

My weight this morning was down to 279.5 :jumpjoy: so I've broken (again) the 280 barrier and am on my way! I was positive for ketones yesterday, too.

I've had no slips or slides since New Year's day.

Now that I've passed the 280 mark, my new mini-goal is to be at 270 by the end of the month. I haven't seen 270 in several years, so that will be major.

MaryThompson 01-06-2014 04:41 AM

Whoops - it should be 275 by the end of January. 270 is the end of February. I looked at my chart wrong.