Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Journals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/)
-   -   The "DipGal" Judy Commits to be Healthier! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/813988-dipgal-judy-commits-healthier.html)

dipgal 10-05-2013 02:16 PM

The "DipGal" Judy Commits to be Healthier!

10/5/13 – Saturday… 4:00 PM

I just can’t resist going back to the LC way of eating.. I would love to eat everything in moderation in an intuitive and mindful way. However, after taking the last six months or so off of dieting in any shape or form, I realize that it’s harder to eat intuitively than to just pick an eating plan and try to stick with it. The key is not to get into the perfect/imperfect, black/white, on/off plan mentality. I am not a good/bad person based on my food choices. I have value… I matter…I accept myself whether I am fat or thin. I choose to be less fat in order to feel better emotionally and physically and enjoy life to its fullest.

I choose Low Carb. It feels right, the scientific literature backs it up and it has worked well in the past. The number of carbs can be tweaked depending on how I feel as time goes on. How low carb? Well, I really don’t want the flu-like symptoms from jumping in feet first. I plan to ease in at around 50 net carb grams a day effective immediately. After a little trip coming up next weekend (10/11-10/13) I’ll take it down by 10 weekly to about 20 until a girlfriends getaway vacation to Sanibel Island, Florida from 11/7-11/14. I know I’ll feel better on my vacation if I lose a few pounds prior. I will do the best I can on vacation and avoid the starchy carbs, but will not obsess.

I have not weighed myself in six months – since I declared “I’m Fat, and I don’t diet anymore!” . I’ll weigh myself in the morning so that I can join in a LCF challenge or two.. Although I don’t want to weigh weekly (certainly not daily), I will do so weekly in order to participate in the challenges and tweak what I am doing. I will NOT let the scale determine my value as a person! If the scale does not report back in a positive way I will tweak my action steps.

I will “move” at the gym and in the pool. I will not use it as a way to burn calories, but rather as a way to get stronger and fitter. The “Health at Every Size” template is my motto despite the fact that I am embarking on another weight loss plan.

My challenges are:

- I am a middle aged party girl and live to have fun.. “fun” in my brain includes food and booze.

- I know excess booze is another support forum, but I’d really like to cut down on typical at-home days and save the booze for socializing. I am now cutting out sweet or fruity mixers and replacing them with Diet Tonic or Diet Cola or dry wine or low carb beer. I rarely get drunk.. it’s just a habit to escape a bit and relax.

- My embarrassment to bring my own snacks to social events. I have stopped and started diets so many times and my friends/acquaintances know it. I declared six months ago – “No More Diets”.. I feel like I am crawling back with my tail between my legs.

I am not going to kid myself into thinking I am going to lose over 100 lbs to get anywhere my goal weight. I’d be thrilled to just get into onederland and pick up the exercise routine in order to be a healthier plus size gal.

That’s all for the moment. Hello and thanks for reading – for anyone who happens across this. Blessings and good health to you!

Judy

GailyGail 10-05-2013 02:37 PM

Judy, you are an extremely intelligent, self-aware, emotionally strong and genuine person -- in short, you have a lot of GRIT and that is what it some times takes to get started and stick with a low-carb way of life.

You can do this. Regarding your challenges, just cut back on booze and if you have alcohol, have vodka & sodas, skinny girl margaritas, diet coke & rum and very dry red wine and champagne. If you need to eat, snacks in between meals, just snack on nuts, cheese or deli meats. It should be easy to hide a small packet of almonds or cashews in your bag. If you stick to it, you can most likely lose at least 25 pounds before the holidays.

DesertGurl 10-05-2013 03:30 PM

Hi Judy, welcome to the journals! :) I think you'll go far simply because you're ready to own your weaknesses and challenge them. Being realistic with what you can accomplish vs. trying to go all out in a huge rush to get the weight off, will serve you well on your journey. Your girls trip sounds like tons of fun, ENJOY!! I'm betting you can get off a pretty good piece of weight before then and be on your way to feeling really good! Good luck! :)

dipgal 10-06-2013 06:04 AM

10/6/13 – Sunday… 7:15 a.m. Official Day 1

Thank you DesertGurl and GailyGail for your supportive comments! I really appreciate it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Up early today – I am going to Mystique to play some poker and have stuff to do here first. Weighed myself for the first time in many months… 267.5. The last # I recall before stopping the concept of dieting was 259.5. Actually pretty amazing that I only gained 8 lbs in 6 months of non-dieting. It seems the “lost” weight when dieting comes back on so much quicker than “new” weight.. At least for me. That’s a good thing!

Feeling hopeful about the new plan.. The time off of dieting was like a brain reboot. I no longer will tie my value and worth to what the scale says. No more black/white, good/bad. I’ll just do the best I can and start getting stronger at the gym and pool.

This week I want to limit my net carbs to < 50 per day. I’ll take it down a notch next week.

Today’s Tentative food plan – carb counts are net.. 45 est. carbs for day

Morning: Coffee, H & H, Splenda (4) - 2 scrambled eggs in CO (1) and Canadian bacon (2), some sautee’d spinach (1)

Afternoon: Will be out.. will see what the freebies are in the lounge and make good choices. Will have some nuts in my purse just in case. (10)

Dinner: Leftover salmon filet and/or finish up the tuna salad in fridge and spinach salad (4)

Other- 2 Michelob Ultra beers (pints) ( 8), homemade chocolate almond flax cookie (3)

Melle's_Sweetheart 10-06-2013 08:14 AM

Congratulations, Dipgal!

Sounds like you're committing to YOURSELF and that's always a good thing. I agree with everything you've posted.

You WILL be healthier for having done this.

Keep up with the blogging (I always thought it "wouldn't work" but it really keeps you on track....not sure why, but I'm not going to overthink it).

Happy Sunday to you and congratulations again!:jumpjoy:

GailyGail 10-06-2013 10:37 AM

Yay DipGal! Your eating looks great. I hope you had a terrific Sunday. You are already on a really great path to success. Go you!

dipgal 10-07-2013 04:36 PM

I appreciate the support GailyGail and Melle's Sweetheart! My Sunday was fun and I managed to eat lower carb. Yeah, I had an extra cocktail (or two), but I always knew that would be my worst vice.

I woke up early today with the plans to get to the pool or gym, but did not make it. Once again, that little devil on my shoulder said that there were more pressing things to be done before leaving the house for the day and that tomorrow would be a better day to start. It is that little devil that I need to quiet down - no - silence!

I did get things done before leaving - I didn't waste the time away (like on LCF :lol:) - but it's important to make my health the priority.. Sometimes being an overachieving volunteer and having a small at-home business doesn't bring the discipline of having to show up for a real job! Excuses, excuses.

Here is my ridiculous dilemma that I face in the a.m. when I am drinking my coffee. Because of my VERY weak lower extremities because of bad knees, and weight of course, the swimming pool is my best form of exercise right now. I actually love the pool including swimming and water aerobics. But when it's not the season for the outdoor pool, I dislike the inconvenience of having to shower/dry off, etc. in the locker room after being in the indoor pool. Not that I am modest or anything - it's just a pain. DUMB AND STUPID, I KNOW! The clubhouse where the pool is located is literally a 2 minute drive! Ok, tomorrow for sure! I hope... LOL..

Food intake today was moderately LC, despite a lunch meeting at a Mexican restaurant. I ordered a Chicken Fajita Taco salad without the shell - no beans. I did have 6 tortilla chips with some salsa - huge improvement over eating a basket of chips all on my own. And, no margarita!! Woo hoo!

Breakfast was a home baked flax chocolate cookie with a bit of coconut oil spread on it. When I got home from the day away I had a chunk of cheese and a few pepitas (pumpkin seeds). 2 glasses of white wine..

Dinner in a few minutes will be a couple ounces of leftover pork chop with shirataki noodles and some homemade veggie soup.

I'll call the day a success! Onward to Tuesday.. out to lunch again tomorrow - every day this week as a matter of fact! Maybe I didn't start the right time to start, but there really is no right time, is there?

GailyGail 10-08-2013 04:16 AM

Judy, you are correct -- there is no right time to start. Anytime you start, there will be lunch meetings, parties, holidays -- any event where high carb foods abound. But you are doing really well and that's what counts!

Melle's_Sweetheart 10-08-2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Here is my ridiculous dilemma that I face in the a.m. when I am drinking my coffee. Because of my VERY weak lower extremities because of bad knees, and weight of course, the swimming pool is my best form of exercise right now. I actually love the pool including swimming and water aerobics. But when it's not the season for the outdoor pool, I dislike the inconvenience of having to shower/dry off, etc. in the locker room after being in the indoor pool. Not that I am modest or anything - it's just a pain. DUMB AND STUPID, I KNOW! The clubhouse where the pool is located is literally a 2 minute drive! Ok, tomorrow for sure! I hope... LOL..
HA! I have the same ridiculous dilemma...here's how I handle it:

Our community pool is a 2 minute walk from our house. When my husband is working, we swim in the evenings, 3 times per week. I wear my bathing suit under my pajamas, remove them at the pool, swim and then shower there. I wear my jammies home and go to bed! LOL....It's not so much of a pain because the shower is relaxing and I find that if I shower before bed, I don't necessarily need one in the morning.

This works for me, but I have no qualms about going out in my jammies. I regularly drive to the train station to pick up my husband after work in my jammies, too.

dipgal 10-08-2013 04:19 PM

End of Tuesday.. good day..concerned about tomorrow

Small victory - I didn’t get to the pool today, but I did go for a little walk and did some strength training.. YAY – something instead of “I’ll start tomorrow”! This is a habit that needs to be broken.. I have no excuse with an indoor/outdoor pool and a fitness center around the corner!

Food choices good today. Very light breakfast - small flax cookie with some CO on it.. Lunch out where I had a yummy salad with grilled chicken and caesar dressing. Some dried cranberries on it, but no other carbs. Dinner will be a steak and green beans.. And, yes, a couple glasses of wine were had today. 1 at lunch and 1 now - pre-dinner.

I went to a huge Resale Shop today and got a TON of bargains! It feels so nice to have newer things to wear and not spend a lot of money when I believe I am between sizes!! Funny,, I was too tired to try on the pants, but got 3 pairs of my usual size but different brands. 2 fit fine and the 3rd I couldn’t even get over my hips.. What’s up with such a huge deviation? Nothing is returnable though, so I’ll tuck them away with the intention of fitting into them in a couple of months. (Pleez!)

Tomorrow will be a huge challenge. I'll need to bring breakfast and lunch in the car for an a.m. meeting 90 minutes away.. then a social event in the afternoon (Mah Jongg game) where I normally have difficulty staying away from the goodies.. then a meeting from 5:30-7:00 and dinner and drinks from 7:30-10:00. Yes, it'll be tough... but, I CAN do it if I put my mind to it!!!

GailyGail 10-09-2013 04:25 AM

Judy, you CAN do this! You have already planned effectively by bringing your food with you. Don't let any treats or goodies stand in your way. They don't taste that good anyway! Stick to your guns and know that this WOE really works!

Good luck today! Let us know how it goes!

Melle's_Sweetheart 10-09-2013 06:45 AM

Good job, Judy!

I'm cheering for you! :clap:

dipgal 10-11-2013 05:57 AM

I haven't posted in a few days because I have been out from morning until later in the evening. Too tired to turn on the computer so late! And, I am headed out of town today for a weekend Mah Jongg tournament - so unless I say just a few words from my Kindle, posting won't happen until I get home Sunday night.

I only exercised once this week, however I did make mostly good food choices. My intention was to have "some" carbs to avoid the flu-like symptoms that come with going cold turkey. They weren't all the best carb choices ( a few tortilla chips on a couple of occasions, a couple of crackers, etc.) but they were VERY moderate in quantity. All in all a successful week.

Now, with the fun weekend away I will pack some healthier snacks and do the best I can when I am eating out. The good news is I am staying with a friend who is not an alcohol drinker. So 1 glass of wine on Friday and Saturday will be the max, and that will be a very good thing!

I weighed myself this morning just to see if my moderate attempt was working, and it is! I've lost 4 lbs. since Sunday. I will be using that as my weigh in number Sunday for the "group" I am in, and not weigh in again until the 20th.

Feeling good and inspired!!

GailyGail 10-11-2013 09:24 AM

Judy, congratulations on your news! A four pound weight loss is outstanding! Hope you have a GREAT weekend.

DesertGurl 10-11-2013 11:59 AM

Have a wonderful weekend! You're doing great so far, now remember that when you're tempted. :high5:

dipgal 10-13-2013 04:39 PM

Back from a weekend away and all is well in my world!

Thanks GailyGail and DesertGurl for your support. I'll be catching up with your status' soon!! xoxoxo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Just returned home from a weekend Mah Jongg tournament in the Chicago area. I am pleased (basically) with my food choices. I did have some carbs each day in the form of “junk” such as an English Muffin on a breakfast sandwich both mornings, and some tortilla chips at a Mexican restaurant… BUT I did NOT say “what the heck, I am on a mini-trip – I may as well go crazy” at any time during the weekend.

i.e. – at the lunch buffet on Saturday with carbs galore , I chose salad, roasted veggies, a small chicken breast and sautéed sausage with onions and peppers.. LIKE YUMMO!! Dinners out were a salad with salmon on it on Friday and fajitas, no tortillas and NO MARGARITA! HUGE for this girl! I did have a glass of dry white wine both nights. Also HUGE for me not to partake in more alcohol.. What saved me was staying with a friend who really doesn’t drink at all..

I truly think my 6 month hiatus from dieting and NOT paying attention to carbs, calories, etc. helped me reset my brain. I know that if I weighed myself I’d have fluctuation upward because I ate more in quantity and much more sodium than when I am home. But, I refuse to deprive myself because it will only cause a backlash later. If I cannot sustain a behavior for the long term I will not do it.. That’s why I won’t do strict Atkins induction. I may use it as a template, but add a couple of “must have” items to avoid deprivation.

Tomorrow morning – Monday – I’ll go back to my self-help book – Beautiful You-A Daily Guide to Radical Self Acceptance - and continue the daily journaling. The only way I’ll be successful long term is to continue on my self-acceptance journey. Although I have proven to myself that I accept myself the way I am because of all the photos I have posted on Facebook lately (GULP), that doesn’t mean I don’t want to be a healthier me! I am okay with being a heavy, healthy person.. But, some of the weight needs to go in order to be healthy and stay that way!

Melle's_Sweetheart 10-14-2013 07:23 AM

Great attitude!

I sometimes find myself dropping into "guilt" mode. Guilt is usually what puts me into that "oh what the hell, I may as well go whole hog" mindset that is the precursor to bingeing for me.

It's great that you know what you have to do in order to stay into the safe zone.

Keep up the great work. :clap:

dipgal 10-17-2013 04:08 PM

Oh my - I haven't posted in a couple of days.. Thankfully, not because I have been particularly naughty, but rather just busy. My biggest hurdle is getting my butt out the door in the a.m. to exercise. Every single day I tell myself that today IS the day I am going to find the time and start. Then, something comes up (most of the time just in my head) and I don't.

I am getting a lot of work done and am not sitting around eating bon-bons, so that is a good thing!:lol: But, most of the work is computer work, so I am sitting.. Not good. The next 3 days are busy once again.. so I dunno.

I did order a Ketogenic powder mix to be used with a mini-fast by Dr. Whitaker. I had to order something else on his site, and this was on a huge sale (wonder why?), so I thought maybe I'd try it. The idea is Intermittent Fasting by skipping breakfast and having this powder in water before exercise. Then eat normally low carb the rest of the day. Since I know I need to get my exercise out of the way first thing if I am going to do it at all, this seemed reasonable.. we'll see.

I have a vacation to Sanibel Island, FL coming up 3 weeks from today and part of me says to really buckle down and lose a few lbs prior. The other part of me says, "what's the difference - you are so darn heavy it will make no difference". It may make a difference in my head which will enable me to enjoy myself a bit more - even if I gain a few pounds back.

Always excuses... ugh..

Staying fairly lc for most of the day this week. Each day has had a social situation that had me cheating a bit on crackers, or on some chili (beans), or on a piece of garlic bread at an Italian restaurant. But, nothing hog-wild, so I am pleased..

If I could just get my morning motivation in gear and get my butt out the door!! :lol:

GailyGail 10-17-2013 05:18 PM

Judy, you are on a good path and doing really well. You will be really pleased by the time you get to Sanibel Island which is such a lovely place. The beaches and the Gulf of Mexico there are so wonderful. Glad you have something like that to look forward to!

dipgal 10-21-2013 10:04 AM

Thank you for the nice comments GailyGail. I just wish I was more consistent with my behavior!

I thought I could get away without counting carbs or calories last week and just "watch it". That sure didn't work! Up a pound - and so early in the recommitting process. Not sure why when I tell myself I am watching it that my brain tells me I can cheat a bit. Why does it have to be ON or OFF? Good or bad? Why can't it be moderation? urgh!

The devil part of my brain is saying that I am going on a vacation in a couple of weeks. I certainly won't follow my plan then, so why bother until then? Because I KNOW I'll feel better mentally if I have some control and lose a few pounds prior.. that's why!

I am going to get a Nutri-bullet today or tomorrow.. want to get some additional greens into my hubby and I.. I just have to be cautious of the fruit carbs.

I also bought the ketogenic stuff to do a mini-fast (skipping breakfast) from Dr. Whitaker. Should be here soon.

Onward and not giving up.. just need to stop being so wishy-washy!

DesertGurl 10-21-2013 10:29 AM

Hang in there, Judy! Consistency is the biggest key for me. So you're up a pound today, tomorrow it will be gone! Stay the course and believe in yourself that you can do this. I know you can!! :high5:
Most of this is mental, so keep telling yourself you can and will do this and the other stuff to just shut up :laugh: I can relate so much to your frustrations, I really can. One foot in front of the other and keep eating clean. You will win out in the end :)

dipgal 10-22-2013 02:56 PM

Thanks for the pep talk Danielle!

I purchased a Nutri-bullet yesterday after doing a lot of research on it. I always enjoyed green smoothies but hated to take the time to make them in my blender.. And doing LC, I need to curb the fruits and use other things for flavor.

Yesterday I did a smoothie in the blender in anticipation of getting the Nutri-bullet. I made 2 Nutri-blasts this morning with my new Nutri-bullet. One for myself and one for DH. It was great. I am hoping I keep up with it long-term. I could really use some better health (along with weight loss) and something that I enjoy...and is not so darn hard for me to follow.

I went out to lunch today and ate some higher carb things.. sigh... Will I have another Nutri-blast instead of dinner like I told myself? It's already made in the fridge (didn't finish from this morning).. Only time will tell.. I have left over stuff from lunch in the fridge calling my name.

alex_in_wonderland 10-23-2013 10:06 PM

Hi Judy, found your journal!
Just poppin' in to say hi :hiya: and wish you good luck for your efforts! The nutrilbullet thingy sounds cool :)

dipgal 10-24-2013 08:00 AM

Today's thoughts...

Thanks for comin' over Alex!!

Today's thoughts:

Two items I shared on Facebook today that really resonate with me:

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." ~ Annie Dillard

"You’ll never change your life unless you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine." ~ John C. Maxwell
--------------------------------------------------------

If I tell myself that I can’t exercise because – fill in the blank – then I am in actuality telling myself that I am not worth taking out the time to become healthier and therefore happier. I am choosing what I want to do short-term (play around on the computer most of the time) instead of the biggest thing that will improve my health.

If I drink too much alcohol, which lowers my inhibitions (along with being empty calories/carbs and not good for me in general) I say “what the heck” to the food in front of me. I eat when I am not necessarily hungry.. I eat things that may not be nutritious, or I ruin my appetite for a healthier dinner..… I end up eating WAY (or should I say WEIGH) too much.

My two daily routines – a Nutriblast green smoothie and some form of movement for 30 minutes.

LolaGetz 10-25-2013 03:37 AM

Good morning, dear Dip. Thought I'd pop in to encourage you and send good wishes for success in your transformation to a healthier life. I really *love* the Annie Dillard quote and thank you for posting it.

alex_in_wonderland 10-26-2013 08:16 PM

Oh I hear you on the alcohol! I've managed to stay away from it for a while now, it helps that I don't go out much or have family members that drink. Sometimes I just WANT a margarita, and I can make a good low carb one, but like you said it opens the door to other problems! Hope all is well with you today :)

dipgal 10-27-2013 07:09 AM

Hi Alex and LolaGetz! Thanks for poppin' in!

Yep, alcohol I'd have to say is my biggest downfall. I proved that once again yesterday when out at a casino. Didn't eat all day.. only "drank" and brought home a pizza because I was starving. No, I didn't just eat the top, and no I didn't moderate.. geesh... Today I have a Mississippi riverboat outing with complimentary appetizers and drinks. I plan for that to be my only meal of the day with only a green smoothie for breakfast and maybe a snack in the evening - TBD if I am hungry at that time..

This coming week I have a ton of work to do and I'll have to be working into the evening. So, other than one evening when I will be out for dinner, there will be no alcohol! Both because of the reasons I mentioned in my last post.. but also if I have a glass of wine I get tired and don't want to work.

By "work" I don't mean anything strenuous. We are closing our dip mix business and next Saturday the 2nd will be our last market ever.. So, I need to make a ton of dips to be prepared. I've been procrastinating and should have been making some each week in anticipation.. But, procrastination is another vice I need to work on. :lol: All in due time!

I hope you have a nice Sunday!

Melle's_Sweetheart 10-27-2013 02:00 PM

Hi Judy!

Just wanted to say "hi" and thank you for being so very supportive of me during the past year.

So glad I have you in my corner! :hugs:

You're doing great and I loved the two quotes that you wrote earlier.

Keep on moving toward your goals!:jumpjoy:

DesertGurl 10-27-2013 03:05 PM

The alcohol thing was a hard one for me, so I'm feeling ya! I finally just had to have a come-to-Jesus meeting with myself and decide out loud what I wanted more. Learning how to change our lifestyle is SO hard, but in the end, very very worth it. I miss having my beer for sure, but I am truly loving the success I am having w/ weight loss even more. In the end I think it just becomes about what you're willing to give up for the kind of success you really want. You're a smart lady, I know you will do what fits your lifestyle and your goals. We're all here with you, supporting and motivating you in any way we can! :high5:

dipgal 11-04-2013 03:10 PM

Still trying to manage a no-gain mentality in anticipation of my vacation from 11/7-11/14.. Then, down to business! See you then!