Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
Hi Judy:

I had a moment this morning and decided to come over here to see how you're doing.

This hit home with me:

Quote:
What I have discovered from the book "The Heart of Addiction", is that we become addicted to an activity that produces endorphins (overeating, drinking, shopping, gambling, sex, even over-exercising, etc.) because we feel helpless in a situation and need to take some action.
This is SO true.

At the beginning of my blog, I came clean about how addicted I was to food (well, SWEETS, really) and I think I mentioned that I felt GREAT after I ate a dozen cupcakes, but really how could I have felt great? It was an illusion because my brain was being fed endorphins from the sugar. There have been times in my life when I've been addicted to other things, too---drinking (bad in my 20's) and sex....really...there ARE female sex addicts. The one thing that I mostly am afraid of is prescription pain killers which I take for my migraine headaches. I have my doctor portion them out so I can't take too many at a time....I KNOW I have an addictive personality and I really fight hard to keep things in check--especially when I'm under pressure.

I'm sorry that things are bad with your husband--I certainly can understand that myself. My husband is home "sick" today, but it's really a mental health day. I don't mind that he does that, but I wonder what's it's going to be like on Monday when he has to face his demons.

Please hang in there, Judy....it can only get better for both of us.

I can do this! I prove it EVERY DAY when I avoid sugar...

October 27, 2013 :: ONE YEAR BINGE free!

Progress photos posted on my blog!
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
Hi MS,

Thanks for checking in on me.. I've been focusing a lot of my forum time over on the drinking forums, so am not checking in here that often. I am trying to tackle one thing at a time.. and although I am thinking about my food intake, I know that focusing on limiting my alcohol will do wonders for my outlook and my body. I am not fasting because I just can't handle the deprivation on my already fragile emotions because of DH. I am just trying to watch it, if you know what I mean.

Yes, we both have DH issues.. interesting about the addictive personality, too. Good for you for knowing your limitations and staying away from the things that could turn out bad for you.

Things will never be perfect.. I realize that.. so, I need to learn how to de-stress without food and booze.. Maybe some relaxing music, or listen to guided meditations.. or something.. A work in progress, huh??

I'll come over and see how you are doing.

((hugs)) to you, and thanks for stopping by!!

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Judy, congratulations for being alcohol free for 30 days and staying on plan. You are a strong lady and a very good person. One thing I do to try to avoid overeating/drinking is to have a nighttime ritual. I usually try to take a warm bath, fix myself a nice cup of tea, get ready for bed and then go to bed with a good book. That signals the end of the day.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

New plan as of 2/10/14- Carb Cycling

As much as I thought the 5:2 Fast Diet plan would fit into my lifestyle, I find that it hasn't. Stress on fasting days led me into a tail spin of feeling sorry for myself and triggering unhealthy habits. The fasting made me even more miserable.. and then I felt like a failure, etc.

I don't want to do straight low carb for several reasons.. #1-I feel deprived eventually and #2-I read too many stories of those who damaged their metabolisms by sticking with it for a long time. I don't have blood sugar issues or pre-diabetes.

My LC friend Dani introduced me to this program several months ago. I was hesitant because eating 5 times a day seemed like too much work.. I realized that the mini-meals do not need to be anything fancy and then it seemed more do-able. Chris Powell's book is only $2.99 for the e-edition (low cost because of lousy formatting of the images that describe the various plans), but the info can be gotten off his website.

I won't be following it to the letter, but I will use it as a template. My biggest thing is the day of the "reward" day. Because of my social schedule I will have to vary it and will make the decision on how my week will work every Sunday based on my calendar. If it doesn't work I will re-evaluate it later.

I will not expect myself to be 100% perfect - I want this plan to be my own.. Mostly eating healthier and getting back into exercise at my own pace.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:35 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jayce
Stats: 255/214.8/212 MG# 1
WOE: Calorie Tracking & Exercise
Hi, Judy! I've seen you posting in Dani's journal, so thought I'd stop in. I bought Chris' book on my Kindle also, and I am thinking of incorporating one of his cycles into my plan.
Jayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Judy, Chris Powell's plan sounds really interesting. Let us know how it goes. I have heard good things about it.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #127
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Good luck, Judy! Looking forward to seeing how you do
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:12 AM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
Hi Judy:

Thought I'd stop by and offer my 2 cents.

I think you have to find a plan that works for you. Even though I didn't lose nearly as much weight as I wanted to for the first year of low-carbing, I stuck with it because it's a plan that works very well with my lifestyle. I will agree that although I feel it's healthy for ME, it's not for everyone.

Only YOU can make the decision of what is the correct plan for you.

Keep with us...keep blogging....
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #129
Blabbermouth!!!

Where in the world did you wander off to? Hoping all is well in your world!
Old 02-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Dani... just busy doing other things. Plugging along kinda half-a@@ed..

HI MS!!

Will post again soon!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: schaferk
Stats: 165/134/125
WOE: Atkins/protein Power
Start Date: 1975
Hi Judy! Have missed you. I am also just kinda drifting, not losing or gaining right now. Keep in touch!!
schaferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

It's all so confusing!

Hi Schaferk!! Thanks for stopping by! Can you believe this winter??? UGH! I gave up on the "backsliding" thread because my head just isn't in the same place as most of the posters. I'm not sure where my head is... so, here I describe my angst..

I am so darn confused.. I donít know what to do, so I use it as an excuse to do nothing. Every expert out there has different advice. As soon as I decide on a plan I read that some of the concepts are myths (i.e. frequent meals does NOT increase metabolism, so just eat when youíre hungry and not when someone tells you to).

I do a lot of reading and decide to stay fairly low carb, then I read by Precision Nutrition that it totally wrecks your metabolism because it messes with your hormones. Then, the very next Facebook feed is from Maria Emmerich who says just the opposite. So many people have luck with her keto-adapted plan and all their unhealthy symptoms go away.

It just makes me want to scream! I suppose I must experiment with what will work for me and tweak. There is no *one size fits all* plan. There is no quick answer, even though I want there to be. I do think a combo of higher and lower carb days, getting rid of the junk and exercising will do my body wonders. Why canít I just do that instead of obsessing about what is right and what is wrong? Every time someone mentions a diet I'm off reading that website. There is no correct answer! When will I get that through my head?

Today I made a green smoothie and added some small amounts of healthy carbs and healthy fats to it. Itís okay, but not great. Pretty filling though. Iím making jambalaya for dinner tonight and will have a small portion of rice to go along with it.. Cup of homemade lentil with ham soup and a side salad for lunch. Maybe a glass of wine later.. And, definitely going to the fitness center with DH.

Iíll be cutting up some jicama and celery to use for dipping instead of chips, and making some chicken salad because DH really likes that and tuna salad for snacks.

Just eat normally I tell myself.. Sit with my feelings when I want to eat but am not truly hungry. Reason it out. I know the answer is that I am just bored or need entertainment.. sometimes stress about DH, but thankfully that is getting better.

Four weeks until our road trip to the southwest. I just want to feel a little stronger and healthier by then.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: schaferk
Stats: 165/134/125
WOE: Atkins/protein Power
Start Date: 1975
Good to hear from you dipgal. I understand about the other thread. It's easy to spend WAY more time than we meant to reading all these posts & surfing. The other posters there are more dedicated than myself; I am so happy & excited for them and I hope it rubs off on me. I too am very confused and still searching for the right plan for me. I cannot seem to stick with anything very long. Was going to try Chris Powells carb cycling but got too confused with it. Right now I am just low carbing best I can, but stalled. Really just trying to not gain and hoping to get started on another losing plan soon.

A trip to the Southwest sounds great!! Anything to get out of our weather right!! Hang in there and good luck to you.
schaferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Schaferk, I think that carb cycling is a great way to get out of a stall.. But, do it your way and be patient. If you are a daily weigher it can be difficult to deal with your emotions after a high carb day puts you up a few pounds.. From what I am reading though, shaking it up helps break the stall eventually.

Stay warm!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Judy! I just popped into to see how you are doing. Did you try Chris Powell's plan? You are eating super healthy and exercising so you are on the right track either way!
Old 02-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Hey, Judy, just stopping in to send good wishes your way. Angst totally describes my state of mind these days...not particularly in regard to dietary issues but in terms of life in general...so comforting to see I'm not alone in that. We will survive. And we will be joyful. We will hang in there together.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:21 AM   #137
Blabbermouth!!!

You're right, there is no one size fits all plan... just go with what you feel you can sustain long term and you'll be ahead of the game.
Remember the reasons why you want to lose weight! Sometimes just learning to love the body we're in right now can help with long term weight loss later. I know you'll figure it out. Just remember that there are lots of people here all floating in the same pool, ready to always help you in any way we can. Stay strong!