Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #241
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Oooooo did someone say, CONCERT? What'd you see???

Boy, do I relate to your "dilemma"....more than ever! Last time I did Atkins, I committed to doing it totally by the leter and DH had decided he would do it with me. Well, like all men, he went on to annoyingly drop a buncha weight in about 2.2 seconds ...while I ever-so-slowly brought up the rear with my whopping 12 pound loss in about 7 months ...after awhile I started justifying eating like him, because after all, he didn't gain...Yeah, right! Who was I kidding? So frustrating!!! Just know that you are not alone in that! Right now he isn't following with me again so we're kinda in the 2 eating style camp again.... I hate it! He eats dinner the same as me, but other than that, I am completely on my own...however, I guess I'm kinda used to it cause he didn't do carb cycling with me either..

I just saw a recipe on my FB feed for Brussels w/ basalmic & bacon... Gonna have to try that one!
And, I'm going to have to make some cream cheese muffins...love those in the mornings with a cup of coffee--so good!!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: br3n
Stats: 278/225/158
WOE: 20-30 carbs per day
Start Date: 09/19/13
Well, I've proven to myself that I have restraint (which I never would have believed before!), it's just the frustration of not losing, even when I'm 100% on plan, that I have to get under control. Right now my mind is in "since I'm not losing anyway...." mode, which is not a good place to be. I ate the popcorn purely out of spite, even though it clearly hurts no one but myself and threatens to derail the past 6 months of progress. Crazy, I know. Physically, I feel like I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get the weight off. Mentally, I'm frustrated because I don't know what that is right now. The plan that worked like a charm for 5 months, has not worked for the past 2 months. Hopefully I'll get the culprit figured out by my birthday if I go back to induction.

Danielle~ We saw Tool. I'm a little obsessed and can't miss their shows, even on a Tuesday night. I wanted to see Ellie Goulding also, but two shows in one week is too much for us-- we're squares who barely go out twice a year. Ha! Cream cheese muffins sound delish! I've made the mock danish recipe which is mostly cream cheese, maybe they're similar. Oh gosh, and the 3 minute cake! Love that one with coffee. Although, that one uses almond flour, so I'm going to cut it out for a while. Luckily, my husband will eat whatever I cook, whether we're on the same plan or not. Though he drew the line at Tofurkey when I was a vegetarian for 8 years.. Lol! When we're out he keeps eating things that are not LC and still not gaining, so he rubs it in. Not nice.

I found an article I liked, while researching low carb issues. The list below gives me an idea of some things to make note of in my diet, make sure there's not too much or too little in some cases. (Sounds easy enough, now how much is too much!? )

Artificial sweeteners -- mostly sucralose, but that one is the least troublesome, so I think I'll leave it for now
Sugar -- 0
Fruit -- I guess I'll cut out my beloved berries for now
Vegetables -- I need at least 3c a day, I'm pretty sure I'm not getting that
Calories -- likely under, will make an effort to eat at least 1200/day
Citric acid -- should be fine
Nuts and seeds -- need to cut these out completely for a while and see if it makes a difference. Darn Costco pistachios.
Don't forget to eat --guilty of this one lately, will make an effort to eat at least 3 meals a day
Salt -- should be ok
Exercise -- should be ok
Supplements --keep forgetting my vitamins & omega
Attitude! -- ehh, sometimes

Another excerpt that I need to remember:
Be diligent
"Some of us have to work harder and sacrifice more, and we still lose weight at a much slower rate than many others. It's not fair, but life seldom is. Fortunately, the greatly improved health and high energy that a low carb lifestyle brings should make seemingly-slow weight loss an acceptable tradeoff."

Anyhoo, I plan to escape work at a reasonable hour tonight, so I'm going to hit the gym. I think that will make me feel better about my popcorn binge yesterday. As much as I dislike exercise while it's happening, I always feel better afterwards.

:: My Journal ::

Don't give up what you want most, for what you want right now.

Last edited by br3n; 03-26-2014 at 02:33 PM..
br3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #243
Blabbermouth!!!

Well worst case scenario you know it's only water gain and will be gone soon..

I think we had the convo about Tool before? That's who we're seeing tomorrow night.. We have 2 more concerts coming up in April that are 2 days apart .. I'm already having anxiety about what I'm going to eat.. while I was cycling I always made the day of the show's my reward day so I was able to eat whatever I wanted... things are a tad diff this time around Saw Ellie Goulding open for Bruno Mars..she was great! I am WAY bummed that I missed Cher when she was hear this week

We're in the same headspace when it comes to frustration.... I spent 6 months on carb cycling and had it work pretty great...slow, but I accepted it as part of my "situation"... and then to have the scale suddenly go backwards despite eating completely clean was mind-boggling to me Frustrating to the point of just wanting to scream!

We're 2 stubborn chicks though, so I know we'll figure it out!

Enjoy the gym tonight!!!!
Old 03-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Well worst case scenario you know it's only water gain and will be gone soon..

I think we had the convo about Tool before? That's who we're seeing tomorrow night.. We have 2 more concerts coming up in April that are 2 days apart .. I'm already having anxiety about what I'm going to eat.. while I was cycling I always made the day of the show's my reward day so I was able to eat whatever I wanted... things are a tad diff this time around Saw Ellie Goulding open for Bruno Mars..she was great! I am WAY bummed that I missed Cher when she was hear this week

We're in the same headspace when it comes to frustration.... I spent 6 months on carb cycling and had it work pretty great...slow, but I accepted it as part of my "situation"... and then to have the scale suddenly go backwards despite eating completely clean was mind-boggling to me Frustrating to the point of just wanting to scream!

We're 2 stubborn chicks though, so I know we'll figure it out!

Enjoy the gym tonight!!!!
Awesome! Have fun! & stay away from the popcorn! Any steakhouses around the venue? Stuff yourself on some meat & veggies before the show. I know we had a NIN convo but not sure about Tool. The Houston show really popped up out of nowhere, but I'm not complaining. I was tempted to fly to the West coast when I first found out they were touring again, but can't do things like that now that we have a little one. I almost flew to AZ for an APC show, but ended up going to Vegas to catch it instead. It was a great excuse for a vacation anyway. It turns out NIN will be here in August, but they are at an outdoor (hot.) venue with questionable sound quality, so I haven't decided on that one.

It really is the most frustrating feeling in. the. world. to be fully committed and then... nothin', but you've got that right -- we are stubborn and will get there!! It may take some patience, experimentation, blood, sweat & tears, but it will happen!
Old 03-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #245
Blabbermouth!!!

Yeah, I guess it was the NIN we were talking about I loved that show, amazing lighting and sound! They're not coming back here again for this new tour..It looks like all the shows (or almost all) are going to be outside...cause I know LA, Mountain View, and Chula Vista venues listed are all outside... I'd love to see them at the Mountain View venue--great sound and view--saw REM there years ago....I'm trying to talk DH into taking me to see 30 Seconds To Mars...I HAVE to see Jared Leto

APC?

I know my initial thoughts when I had no explanation to the scale going backwards was everyone was going to totally think I was cheating and lying about it Seriously, that was the first thing that ran through my head! But, definitely made me angry to dig in my heels and try to figure out a way to keep things going in the right direction...I worked and tried so hard for those 6 months during cycling and I cringe at the idea of just letting go...KWIM?
Old 03-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yeah, I guess it was the NIN we were talking about I loved that show, amazing lighting and sound! They're not coming back here again for this new tour..It looks like all the shows (or almost all) are going to be outside...cause I know LA, Mountain View, and Chula Vista venues listed are all outside... I'd love to see them at the Mountain View venue--great sound and view--saw REM there years ago....I'm trying to talk DH into taking me to see 30 Seconds To Mars...I HAVE to see Jared Leto

APC?

I know my initial thoughts when I had no explanation to the scale going backwards was everyone was going to totally think I was cheating and lying about it Seriously, that was the first thing that ran through my head! But, definitely made me angry to dig in my heels and try to figure out a way to keep things going in the right direction...I worked and tried so hard for those 6 months during cycling and I cringe at the idea of just letting go...KWIM?
Jared Leto! Haha, sorry APC = A Perfect Circle, one of Maynard's side projects while Tool takes like 10 years between every album. I actually like the whole outside venue idea, being under the stars and all that -- but August in SE Texas is sooo hot and humid, I'd be a mess. I can't let Trent see me like that. Lol!

And I definitely KWYM! Sometimes I honestly think I'm just destined to be overweight forever, or that I must have "broken" my body/metabolism from 15+ years of yoyo diets. It's understandable for the scale not to budge when you're cheating, but when you're giving it 110% and it's still not happening, what do you do!? The Universe is cruel, but I am determined. Starting over from square one, we'll see how it goes.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #247
Blabbermouth!!!

Ah, another girl who gets the whole "Jared thing"...I just think he's so dreamy.. My DD19, when she was, oh, 13 (?) went to see them at a super small venue here....amazing place for shows cause of the sound and there is no bad view..all general admission.. she ended up getting crowd surfed to the stage to sing with him... I would have fainted right on the spot! Ssshhhh, don't tell my husband, I should have totally known APC...he'd be so disappointed August here is miserably hot too...monsoon season and all that

I seriously think we are related...I can really understand what you're talking about in terms of the struggle... makes me SO sad to know that I HAD goal in my sights a few years ago...only 20'ish pounds left to get to 130 and I totally blew it.. *sigh*... I know I know..no sense thinking about the past...but MAN, it was Right. There.!! I know you know what I mean..
Old 03-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Up again...... 231. No doubt a result of my beer and popcorn extravaganza on Tuesday night. And I don't even like beer. Sabotage! I'm so sad to see this number on my scale again, but even more determined to get it back off of my scale. Sure, I'm frustrated, but I'm working through it. If anything, this week has reignited my determination. I don't know if getting back to induction is going to get the scale moving again, but I do know going off plan is only going to make things worse. With that said, my birthday is in exactly 1 month. I'm getting back to the basics, putting my scale away, and crossing my fingers for a loss by then.

Yesterday:
B~Skipped ~0
L~Chipotle salad, ~20 carbs
D~2 Meatballs, ~4 carbs
S~ shake before gym, ~2 carbs
& 1 c coffee with HWC & 2 splendas ~2carbs
Old 03-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #249
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ah, another girl who gets the whole "Jared thing"...I just think he's so dreamy.. My DD19, when she was, oh, 13 (?) went to see them at a super small venue here....amazing place for shows cause of the sound and there is no bad view..all general admission.. she ended up getting crowd surfed to the stage to sing with him... I would have fainted right on the spot! Ssshhhh, don't tell my husband, I should have totally known APC...he'd be so disappointed August here is miserably hot too...monsoon season and all that

I seriously think we are related...I can really understand what you're talking about in terms of the struggle... makes me SO sad to know that I HAD goal in my sights a few years ago...only 20'ish pounds left to get to 130 and I totally blew it.. *sigh*... I know I know..no sense thinking about the past...but MAN, it was Right. There.!! I know you know what I mean..
Oh, yes! Those eyes! How fun for your daughter, I totally would have fainted too. Not that I would have had the guts to crowd surf in the beginning.

Lol, soul-sisters. That's pretty amazing that you were so close to goal! But yes, I understand the disappointment of letting it slip out of your grasp-- at least you know you can do it!! I constantly wish I had just buckled down and took care of my weight issue when I only had 40-50 lbs to lose, instead of letting it snowball into 120 lbs., now my 50 lb loss isn't even a drop in the bucket. I think putting that into perspective has helped me this time around though, I knew I had to do something once and for all--long term. No more fad diets. I'm just sick of it...sick of the struggle. I spent most of my teens and all of my twenties struggling and I don't want to be that person anymore. I just want to get to a reasonable weight and stay there. I think low(er) carb is definitely doable long term, for my whole family. I just have to stop letting the scale mess with my head. My husband and I are both in agreement that whatever happens, we never want to go back to our old habit of carbs with a side of carbs. They're delicious, but I'm glad Atkins came through for me and helped me break cravings, I admit I thought that was BS at first, but it worked...and I just can't go back to that.

I think this little reflection helped. Sometimes we need to appreciate the progress we've made and not dwell on the progress we haven't made. We will get there...
Old 03-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #250
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes, this one kiddo in particular is absolutely fearless...much to her mother's dismay sometimes

I remember the first time I heard about Atkins, DH came home from work and was talking about it and telling me how a couple guys from work were doing it and having amazing success... I thought, yeah, right.. I read the book and still thought, yeah, right... We did it together and holy moly was I wrong Of course I wasn't smart enough to hang onto it and fly right when I had that golden shot...but I digress..

What's worse is looking back at pics of myself as a kid, even as a teenager, and my whole life believing I was fat back then only to realize I wasn't..but was TOLD I was... I don't remember being uncomfortable with my weight until we got ready to move here from Northern Cali... that's when we opted to try Atkins the first time.. I knew that moving to the desert was going to result in a lot of half-naked people all tan and beautiful so I was determined to not stick out as much as possible.. Well, turns out, it doesn't really matter, there's just as many fat people here as there are thin But definitely didn't have that feeling of omg I have to diet until I hit like 33-34... There is something definitely to be said for doing it while you're young!!!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes, this one kiddo in particular is absolutely fearless...much to her mother's dismay sometimes

I remember the first time I heard about Atkins, DH came home from work and was talking about it and telling me how a couple guys from work were doing it and having amazing success... I thought, yeah, right.. I read the book and still thought, yeah, right... We did it together and holy moly was I wrong Of course I wasn't smart enough to hang onto it and fly right when I had that golden shot...but I digress..

What's worse is looking back at pics of myself as a kid, even as a teenager, and my whole life believing I was fat back then only to realize I wasn't..but was TOLD I was... I don't remember being uncomfortable with my weight until we got ready to move here from Northern Cali... that's when we opted to try Atkins the first time.. I knew that moving to the desert was going to result in a lot of half-naked people all tan and beautiful so I was determined to not stick out as much as possible.. Well, turns out, it doesn't really matter, there's just as many fat people here as there are thin But definitely didn't have that feeling of omg I have to diet until I hit like 33-34... There is something definitely to be said for doing it while you're young!!!
I know, right!?? Now I see old pictures and can only wish I still looked like that. I think LC can definitely hold up to its promises, I just need to start over from scratch and be more mindful of the sneaky things. I ate a lot more calories when I first started, but in the past few weeks I've had trouble getting enough food, I think, because I'm never really hungry on this diet. I just eat because I'm supposed to. You'd think that would be a good thing, but apparently not.

I have a feeling I've got a fearless kiddo on my hands. He's going through his "do it myself" phase, but, um, that's not a good thing at the pool! At lessons, he tried to run from the pool I was in (we were practicing jumping in) to the one behind us. Pretty sure my heart stopped for a second, but luckily I caught his arm before he could get away completely. The other littles cry if they aren't attached to their parents. Mine is like...see ya, Mom! and wants to play chase.

Today:
B: egg, bacon & cheese scramble. ~4 carbs
L: roasted chicken leg & thigh, 1/2c green beans, salad w/1T Italian ~<9c
S: string cheese ~<1c + 1 cup coffee, HWC, 2 splenda ~2c
D: leftover meatballs w/zucchini~7c
Total: 23 carbs

Water aerobics tonight!
Old 03-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #252
Senior LCF Member

It's Friiiiiiday!

I'm in a pleasant mood today, despite being UP (yes, again! ) on the scale. I always feel better when I exercise and care less about what the scale says because I know, deep in my soul, that I'm doing what I need to do.

Day 1 of my birthday countdown was a success.
I stayed in my carb range, ate 2-3c veggies, and worked out. I still need to work on minor things like ridiculous 160 oz. water intake and not forgetting my vitamins, so that's the first thing I did today. I put my vitamins in my purse so I'll stop forgetting them and brought my gigantic 1L water bottle to work. Now I only have to drink 4 more of these bad boys.

I was surprised to see that I've clocked 10 gym visits in the month of March, tomorrow will make 11 and if I go Sunday, then 12. DH can't complain about me not getting my moneys worth. Most of that was water aerobics, which is nice for flexibility and resistance, but I still think I need to increase my cardio which I should be able to do easily at home. It was a little disturbing to see how elevated my heart rate was after a measly 5 minute walk at a fast pace, so that is a definite goal of mine in April.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BubblyRen
Stats: 253/211/feeling healthy!, 5'5", 26
WOE: Generic LC
Start Date: 12/31/13
Hey Bren! WOOHOO for Friday! You are doing so good with the gym and exercise. Good job! I still don't work out... like at all. Lol. It's terrible! When it gets warmer I do like to swim, so maybe when the weather changes I'll at least be moving around a little more. xD
BubblyRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! I wish all this exercise would help the scale along, but so far no luck in that dept. I'd say if you're making progress, just keep doing what you're doing! (Or not doing, in this case!) I do feel much better when I workout, so I'm going to keep it up regardless. Just have to keep reminding myself that I'm not only doing this for a number on the scale. I'm so out of shape I can't stand it. I, too, cannot wait for the outdoor pool to open! Hopefully that will be soon since it's starting to get warm now. That's pretty much the only way I can handle this TX heat -- if there's a body of water nearby.

Since I've been in this rut for so long, I've been doing a lot of research. Most of it has left me even more frustrated, due to all of the bro-science, incomplete studies, personal agendas, and/or amount of contradicting information. Not to mention we all know what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for the next. Today, I am learning about cortisol and feeling a smidge of hope that I may have found my suspect. What I've read so far makes perfect sense and it would really explain a lot!
  • Even before going low carb, I had a lot of anxiety and became easily stressed.
  • I carry a lot of weight in my abdominal area, even when I weighed much less than I do now.
  • My weight loss progress was going strong until January & February, which is when I'm under an insane amount of stress at work.
  • Not eating enough can cause a cortisol increase, which may explain why significantly cutting calories doesn't work for me. Frustrated with the scale not moving, this is exactly what I did and probably caused more harm.
  • Drinking caffeine can cause even more problems, and when I'm stressed I tend to drink a lot more coffee to get through the day

So, this brings me to the next experiment in my journey.

It turns out that low carb (or at least eliminating simple carbs) is a good thing for this, I just have to be careful to make sure I'm eating enough. While I was busy & stressed at work, I was definitely not eating enough. I didn't bother trying to eat more, because I figured eating less calories would mean losing more weight. Three months in, that's clearly not the case for me. I also didn't drink enough water, if any, during this period, which is another trigger.

My experiment is pretty simple:
  • Keep daily stress in check
  • Stay on my low carb plan
  • Drink enough water daily
  • Increase my Omega oils, daily
  • Stay active, but take it easy on cardio (pushing your heart rate too far for too long is also a trigger) I'm so guilty of this. I feel like if I'm at the gym I have to hit it as hard as everyone else, who is already in shape.
  • Swap my morning coffee for tea
  • Take a natural supplement called Rhodiola, which is supposed to resolve any imbalances, but has no negative effects if everything is already balanced

I'm hoping all of this will help. I don't know that this is my problem for sure, but there is no harm in trying the changes above as many of them are things I'm supposed to be doing anyway & tend to disregard. I'm excited to give them a shot and hope to see some positive changes soon.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wish
Stats: 215/183/145
WOE: Atkins/ketogenic
Start Date: January 18 2014
I think you are on the right track with all of this. We all need to simmer down. best of luck
wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:57 AM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Well, that optimism didn't last long! I can't even begin to comprehend how it's possible that I'm up once again at 233???

I'm not even going to try to figure it out. I purposely ate more calories, and increased my veggies, but everything was 100% on plan and nothing that I hadn't eaten during the 5 months I was losing weight. I'm so confused.

B: 2 eggs, 1T green chiles, 2T cheese
L: burger patty with cheese, bacon, & jalapenos +1/2 zucchini + 1c green salad with 1T Italian
D: 6 oz chicken breast with green chili cream sauce, 1c riced cauliflower
S: 1/2c coffee, and 1 piece of SF gum.

Whatevs. Just going to keep doing what I do. Swim aerobics & lessons in an hour, although I'm feeling totally demotivated now. My self-sabotaging rebellious inner voice wants to sit on the couch all day and mope about it. Lol!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #257
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh sweet girl, how I wish I could convey just how much I feel you. I know all too well that feeling of frustration when you KNOW you're doing every single thing right, and yet, the scale refuses to give it up. This happened to me the last time I did Atkins--after committing to following it EXACTLY as written, I only managed that pesky 12'ish lbs in about 7 months before the scale started going backwards for no reason, no matter what I did nothing worked...and then I started carb cycling last Sept. and that seemed to be the ticket because I got through that 12lbs easily and the scale kept moving...thinking I'm outta the woods and then BAM, I'm at 32lbs lost and for no apparent reason I start gaining despite being 100% clean.. I feel ya, I really really really REALLY do!!! I have moments of just accepting my fate as that I'm just going to be big my entire life..and then I get pissed and think, why do *I* have to be that way, I don't!! But man, it sure does a number on you mentally when you get yourself into a really good headspace and ready to walk this path and then nothing seems to be happening..

All I can recommend is making sure you are doing your measurements and to keep gauging how your clothes are feeling. I know, small compensation compared to watching those numbers drop...but perhaps you really are shrinking?? Hang in there! Everything you're doing is doing your body good, and that is awesome stuff!!!!
Old 03-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Thanks D, I know you understand. Like you said the other day, a lot of people probably assume we're not being honest about what we're eating when this happens, but if that were the case I wouldn't be this frustrated because I would know why it's happening. I just hoped I would have this all figured out by now and be making progress again, but I'm gaining!!? So weird. I just wish I knew what to do. I'll keep at it for now, something has to happen eventually, right?

Right....
Old 03-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #259
Blabbermouth!!!

Hoping the swim lessons and the gym went well yesterday!

I know you are frustrated and worried about what's going on. Hang on and keep going.. In perusing the forums it seems that there are quite a few people who seem to be "stuck" in various stages of their journey...some at a few weeks, others a few months in... the consensus seems to be to just keep doing what you're doing since you're doing everything right.. The only other thing that I can gather for you would be possibly following up with the bloodwork you started at the gym? You mentioned him asking you some question regarding some results..maybe there's more to it? :huh? I dunno what else it could be, unless you happen to be at a type of set point somewhere in your weight that your body absolutely loves? I have a set point in the 30's and my body naturally just ran to it when I loosened the reigns even a smidge We'll figure this out, yet! I promise!
Old 03-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Danielle! I'm trying my best to have faith, even though that is so hard sometimes. Thankfully I am extra stubborn this time around and still going at it. Scale is back to my low of 228 somehow. That's a good thing, but it blows my mind that it can fluctuate up 5 lbs and back down 5 lbs all within the span of a week or two. It's also a nice reminder to stay OFF the darn scale everyday! I'm only making myself crazy. I just need to do what I know I'm supposed to do and stay away from it.

I'm still not feeling the "bright & early" Saturday morning thing, but we made it to water aerobics & swim lessons. The weather was absolutely beautiful here this weekend, except for the Spring allergies that come with it. I'm taking full advantage since we only have a couple weekends of "Spring" - then it goes to full blown 100 degree Summer heat for a very long time. I may not hate it so much this year, with pool access. We are considering a trip to San Antonio this coming weekend, which is also our anniversary. I guess it's more of a familiversary since the kiddo is coming along. I don't care who comes along, I just know I need a vacation. We're watching the weather to make sure it's not going to storm the whole time before booking, if the weather is clear I think we have a plan.

I managed to hit the gym on Sunday for a total of 12 times in March. (I don't think I've been to any other gym 12 times in my life. Ha!) This time I added 20 minutes of cardio on the treadmill before my 40 minute swim, instead of swimming for an hour. Now I just need to figure out how to incorporate strength without being intimidated by the equipment there.

Saturday:
B: Atkins bar, on the run
L: roasted chicken & leftover Spanish "rice" cauliflower (yum!)
D: pork chops & brussel sprouts
S: chai tea, 1/4 of Linda's 3 minute cake in cupcake form

Sunday:
B: egg, sausage & bell pepper scramble w/cheese
L: grilled t-bone & caesar salad
D: 4oz link sausage with roasted asparagus & parm
S: string cheese, vanilla milk shake w/almond milk & ice

Monday:
B: LC Protein shake with 3 strawberries
L: Luby's roasted chicken leg & thigh, spinach salad, green beans
D: Meatballs (2) & zucchini noodles
S: Cheddar cheese snack, 1c coffee + 1T HWC + 2 Splenda's

My husband & I really loved the cauliflower "rice" -- I made a curry version a couple weeks ago to go with my Indian Butter Chicken, but the Spanish rice version was even better. I plan to try a Japanese fried rice version next. I miss that stuff! I use Nom Nom Paleo's method of preparing the "rice" and add my own seasonings.

4 large servings, or 6 small
1 avg. head of cauliflower, washed and core removed
2-3T coconut oil (or any oil)
1 small onion
1 tsp garlic seasoning
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp seasoned salt (I may have added more to taste in the end)
1 tsp powdered chicken bullion
1 small tomato, diced

1. Once as dry as possible, shred the cauliflower chunks in a food processor or grater (Should make 4-6 cups of "rice")
2. Melt the oil in a deep skillet or dutch oven
3. Saute the onion until soft, then add the seasonings for 1 minute
4. Add the riced cauliflower, stir well to coat in seasonings, & saute for 3-5 minutes
5. Turn the heat to low, cover & let it 'steam' for another 3-5 minutes, until soft but not mushy. Stir in the tomato.

for the Japanese version, I'll make it the same way but will add a handful of peas & carrots instead of tomato, a couple eggs, soy sauce, more garlic, and some green onions. That version will have more carbs, so I'll add diced chicken to make it a whole meal.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #261
Blabbermouth!!!

It's incredibly hard to stay the course, but look at you go! Back to 228 is a GOOD thing!! It all could just boil down to your body trying to figure out WTH you're doing. Especially since you started incorporated exercise more frequently, it's probably saying, WHOA we're gonna hang on to everything for awhile.. By hanging on maybe you'll prove to the ole bod' that you're indeed not trying to starve it or anything else and it'll realize it's ok to release that fat again.. You're doing great!!!

Your getaway sounds lovely, I hope the weather cooperates for you!

Recipe sounds amazing! I need to get a food processor, I gave mine away several years ago when we downsized alittle bit....sorriest move I ever made
Old 03-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wish
Stats: 215/183/145
WOE: Atkins/ketogenic
Start Date: January 18 2014
12 times in March? that is fantastic! I agree with Danielle, your body is trying to figure out WTH you're doing, it is shocked and worried you are going to shock it with some other new thing. It will catch up, your eating looks good and you are active, just stick with it. Whatever you do, don't give up!!

When my daughter was around 16 months, we made the drive from Dallas to San Antonio for a mini vacation, we stopped in Austin too. We loved it there, the riverwalk was really nice. Have a nice Anniversary!
wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:44 PM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Ha! Yes, my poor body is probably so confused right now! After a lifetime of yo-yo diets, no exercise, etc... it doesn't know what's going on now that I'm actually doing what I'm supposed to and sticking to it. For once. It has been a while, but I seem to remember maintaining 228-230 for several years, despite my yo-yo diets, so that could definitely be a factor.

Now that I'm paying closer attention, it seems that I do better when I eat more overall calories, and more carbs from veggies, so maybe there really is something to that "eat more to lose more" theory. I remember eating plenty when I first started LC, in fact I was excited about not having to count calories. I guess there's a good chance I allowed my calories to fall too low in desperation to get the scale moving and caused the opposite to happen. It's just hard to wrap my mind around that when I've been conditioned to believe I'm only allowed to have a few bites of this or that, and that cutting calories is the only way to lose weight. Only time will tell... and lots of experimenting, apparently.

Oh gosh, I love my kitchen gadgets!! There is no way I could ever part with any of them, we just had to get a house with more cabinet space. They definitely make eating veggies a lot more fun, and tasty, which is probably why my toddler loves veggies. The kid actually asks for more Brussels sprouts and asparagus, but will give his fruit to the dog. I've never seen anything like it. I was so excited when I got him to eat a whole apple this weekend by cutting it with a potato slicer like little fries. Win. I don't usually break out the tools just for dicing a tomato or onion, but it's great for big tasks like cauliflower and zucchini, which are so versatile depending how they're cut. Some people grate the "rice" by hand, if you happen to have a box grater.

Thanks Wish, I'm really excited about the trip, so hopefully we'll make it. My husband and I went many years ago, at least 10, when we were dating, but I think that's the only time I've been there. All I remember is the Alamo is tiny.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:01 PM   #264
Blabbermouth!!!

I think keeping your calories on the higher side and making sure you're consuming enough fat may be a way of convincing your body that you are, indeed, not trying to starve it.. and NO, low calories does not mean weight loss... there's my mommy lecture for the day

I did not part with my processor very easily I'm pretty sure I was "traded" something for it just for sanity's sake at one point, like new makeup or music or somethin' ... funnily DH and I were just talking about getting another one this past weekend...so I will hit him up with it this evening when he gets home...I really wanna try that recipe! Oooo and I want one of those spiraler thingys too!!
Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I think keeping your calories on the higher side and making sure you're consuming enough fat may be a way of convincing your body that you are, indeed, not trying to starve it.. and NO, low calories does not mean weight loss... there's my mommy lecture for the day

I did not part with my processor very easily I'm pretty sure I was "traded" something for it just for sanity's sake at one point, like new makeup or music or somethin' ... funnily DH and I were just talking about getting another one this past weekend...so I will hit him up with it this evening when he gets home...I really wanna try that recipe! Oooo and I want one of those spiraler thingys too!!
I know, I know! The stubbornness within me seems to make me learn everything the hard way, but at least I'm finally learning from my trials & errors. Of course, what works this week may not work next week. Ah well, one day at a time.

The cauliflower rice is awesome, it went way beyond my expectations & my husband keeps asking for it every day now. In fact, I think I'll be making that Japanese "rice" tonight. I'm just the kind of person who gets bored easily, so being able to use veggies in so many different ways helps keep me on track and trying new things. Especially since I rarely get to use my mixer anymore.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #266
Blabbermouth!!!

I love the idea with the cauliflower because I am a super picky veggie eater, and so is my DD17.. I wish I was one of those people who loved everything (like my DH :rolleyes), but sadly, I am not! I think we're gonna go look at some food processors today

I am a "do'er" too....I prefer to actually go through something rather than try and figure it out on the proverbial paper My girls are like me, DS is more the thinker and then he does it... Maybe I should take a page outta his book for awhile?

Having issues sorta with my tummy again last night...I may end up back to cycling sooner than either of us realizes! Not sure what's going on, but I DO know I had no issues like this while I cycled.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #267
Senior LCF Member

I couldn't resist getting on the scale this morning, just to make sure there wasn't another crazy jump, but it was good news - I'm still at 228. Ok, maybe that's not "good" news since on paper I should be closer to 208 by now, but it's much better than last week. 2014 has been a total bust, but I'm determined to persevere.

B: LC "Root beer float" protein shake. I have trouble getting these down because I really don't like protein powder or almond milk, so I bought a bunch of extracts to play around with.
L: Leftover meatballs
D: Chicken fried "rice", or pecan crusted fish if my DH has any luck fishing today.
S: string cheese & 1 meatball before my workout

Water aerobics tonight.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I love the idea with the cauliflower because I am a super picky veggie eater, and so is my DD17.. I wish I was one of those people who loved everything (like my DH :rolleyes), but sadly, I am not! I think we're gonna go look at some food processors today

I am a "do'er" too....I prefer to actually go through something rather than try and figure it out on the proverbial paper My girls are like me, DS is more the thinker and then he does it... Maybe I should take a page outta his book for awhile?

Having issues sorta with my tummy again last night...I may end up back to cycling sooner than either of us realizes! Not sure what's going on, but I DO know I had no issues like this while I cycled.
Hm, sorry you're having tummy troubles! I wonder if there's a certain trigger, like dairy maybe? Induction can be meat and cheese overload, lots of heavy foods. Who knows, maybe taking a VLC break as you have will help with cycling again. There are lots of tasty things you can turn veggies into if you don't like them very much, especially with the help of a handy food processor!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Photobomb Warning! :)

Since I'm staying in for lunch I decided to upload some of the pics I snapped for my LC recipe binder, which I haven't gotten around to actually putting together yet. These are some of our favorite meals on the weekly rotation. After looking at the pics, I guess I should be thankful I've lost 50 lbs eating this stuff.

I use Linda's 3 Minute Cake recipe, but usually add SF chocolate chips, sometimes caramel extract, sometimes coconut, etc. I pour it into 4 silicone cupcake molds, so I can have 1 and DH eats the other 3.

My green chile chicken & sort-of Spanish cauliflower rice. This was an awesome meal. **I should add, this was my husbands giant portion!**

Cheesy taco salad with microwaved provolone "chips" - my fav.

Greek salad. I go through phases where I can't get enough of this stuff. We usually serve it with grilled chicken or pork chops.

Baked Garlic Parmesan Wings

Strawberry (Avocado) Milkshake
This is the one that tasted like ice cream

Indian Butter Chicken with curried cauliflower rice

Italian Zucchini Boats - one of my toddler's favorites

Broccoli Cheddar Soup - I believe I used Panera's recipe, but modified it to be low carb.

Last but not least, I've already posted my meatballs & zucchini noodles, but they belong in the favorites category also!

Last edited by br3n; 04-01-2014 at 10:10 AM..
Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #270
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
I just bought a food processor and am excited to try my hand at making cauli-rice. It looks so yummy!!!!
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote