Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
So proud of you! I know how hard it be out and about especially near fair/concession type food. You did Great! Congrats on the new low, you deserve it!
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
WTG hanging in there at the zoo!...Such a tough atmosphere & you proved that it can be done. Go you!!!

on the new low!
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: br3n
Stats: 278/225/158
WOE: 20-30 carbs per day
Start Date: 09/19/13
Thanks Ladies! The pretzels almost got me, but I made it out alive--er, I mean, carb-free.

Tuesday - 10/28 - 256.4

Breakfast - Atkins Shake
Lunch - Cafeteria cheeseburger patty & greek salad
Dinner - Pork chops & asparagus

October is coming to an end, I've done well since starting 6 weeks ago and I'm hoping to keep it up through November. {And well, the rest of my life, but let's take it one month at a time.} In order to do so, I think it's time for some regrouping. My ultimate goal is 8-10 lbs per month and I'm right on track for October, but I will say it has been a frustrating journey on a roller coaster of ups and downs. I read about these people who lose 70 lbs in 3 months and just want that to be me, but we all know that's more uncommon than not. No matter what one eats or doesn't eat, that's just not going to happen for everyone. In addition to discipline, knowledge, and planning, I'm coming to terms with the fact that it also takes lots of patience, faith, and trust.

I know what I need to do, I just have to keep myself in the proper state of mind to get it done.

My biggest challenge in October was probably planning and making sure I had meals ready. I started out strong in the beginning, but toward the end I've been relying too much on Atkins products {sleeping too late} and slacking on packing lunches. My non-scale goal in November is going to be working on time management! I'm scraping by, but I feel like I'm walking a narrow line at the moment by failing to plan. I'm eating the same few go-to meals and getting bored, but I know there is a whole world of recipes out there. This week I didn't plan any meals, I didn't make it to the grocery store, and I haven't been waking up as early as I should to make breakfast. We stopped at the store last night and picked up a few things on a whim, but I do much better with a list and a plan. I think I'm finally realizing that it's essential for long term success, not optional. So, for November, I will plan a weekly menu before the weekend even gets here.

Now that I got that off of my chest -- time to regroup and prepare for a long, cold, November! And to look up some soup recipes.

I guess I am already one step ahead for Thanksgiving. Instead of giving in to a "cheat day", which I thought long and hard about, I plan to make plenty of sides for myself and my husband that I think other family members will enjoy also-- cauliflower mash, brussels sprouts with bacon, pumpkin bake w/ whipped cream. I'm also brainstorming a potential sausage "stuffing" recipe, but will have to test that one to make sure it works as I'm envisioning it. My honey always makes the Turkey, so that one's already covered. Just a few weeks away now, can't believe it! I'm 22 lbs down today, so I believe my Thanksgiving goal will be: -30 lbs/248!!!

It won't be easy, but I'm ready to do this!

:: My Journal ::

Don't give up what you want most, for what you want right now.

Last edited by br3n; 10-29-2013 at 11:46 AM..
br3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
I am with you on the cauliflower mash and pumpkin bake for Thanksgiving! On my blog, I posted a "bread" made with almond flour that you turn into stuffing for thanksgiving. I just ordered almond flour from Netrition so I can try it and see how it tastes. Hopefully it is good enough to make for Tday. I am preparing dinner this year, so if anyone wants anything higher carb, they can bring it themselves. Only exception is I will make dinner rolls. When you think about it, now that we have pumpkin bake, thanksgiving will be easy peasy!!!! It's a low carbers paradise

You are doing fantastic on your weight loss

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #65
Blabbermouth!!!

Definitely setting yourself up for success by taking the time to prep food so it's ready when you're hungry. You'll be so happy that you do that for yourself because it means that you care about your progress and you have your priorities together---you first!

How do you prepare your brussels with bacon, that sounds fantastic!

You can definitely meet that Nov. goal, your head is in the right place!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeny View Post
When you think about it, now that we have pumpkin bake, thanksgiving will be easy peasy!!!! It's a low carbers paradise
I know it!! I was tempted to eat regular food just for the day, but after I thought about it a low carb Thanksgiving should be easy, so why not stay on plan?? I will have to pick up some almond flour, I see it used a lot but haven't tried it yet. I'm thinking of making my stuffing using sage sausage, shredded squash, onion, celery, maybe boullion, spices & then egg to keep it all together. Kind of like the zucchini fritters, but a casserole version that can be scooped. It's worth a shot!

Danielle - Thanks! I do feel so much better when I plan things out which allows everything to run more smoothly in general. I really hope to get on a better schedule and stay more organized overall. It helps so much!

The bacon brussels sprouts are pretty easy! A lot of my family members like them and I want to make things everyone can enjoy instead of weird faux-carb dishes. Here is a simple recipe.

Last edited by br3n; 10-29-2013 at 03:26 PM..
Old 10-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #67
Blabbermouth!!!

When everything's ready to go it makes life so easy, which in turn makes you "want" to stay on plan. Funny how that works, huh? I love brussel sprouts, but they give me major heartburn However, I will be making these for turkey day, heartburn be damned
Old 11-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Well, I officially made it through October with no cheats! One of my favorite months thanks to all things pumpkin, cooler weather, and spooky fun everywhere you go. Sadly, it's over, but I am looking forward to Christmas SO MUCH this year! I'm already digging through my totes to see what I have and what I "need."

This will be my son's first year to really get excited about Christmas so we want to make it extra special. This will also be our first year to have a professional family photo done for Christmas, ehh, no pressure.

On the bright side, that just gives me an extra kick in the pants to stick to my planning and make sure I allow myself the opportunity to lose as much weight as possible this month!

Food has been fine lately. We had some pork chops in a mustard sauce that my husband really liked and wants me to add to the rotation, last night we tossed a pork roast in the crock pot so it was ready to go this morning and I made some LC BBQ sauce - hoping it tastes good! I miss BBQ. I normally don't eat pork but it's inexpensive and easy, so I told my husband I'd make an effort to like it--so far so good, just depends how its prepared.

Oh and just for fun, here's a pic of my little guy in his Halloween outfit -- Deputy "Rick Grimes" from The Walking Dead... haha. He's 15 months going on 4.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 11-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #69
Blabbermouth!!!

First of all....that picture is absolutely adorable
I remember the holidays when the kids were little, it was SO much fun!!! Enjoy every second cause it goes fast!

You had a fantastic month I was pretty proud of myself for not eating any candy this year...NONE. That is an absolute first in my book!

The Christmas pic is some great incentive to keep on truckin' You got this!!

For what it's worth, I don't care for pork either... I have a very hard time getting motivated at the thought of having to cook it cause DH loves it. LMK how the bbq sauce tastes with it, I may have to follow your lead on some of this stuff

Have a great weekend!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
Old 11-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Oh your son is so adorable. I miss my kids being that age. The do grow up so fast. Very good on staying away from the candy.

I still have never had a professional family portrait done. Really need to think about getting one soon. I don't want it to be holiday them though, would love to have one done in the fall or spring in a natural background.

My family are pig pork eaters. We do a roast every Sunday, and have pork chops, pork ribs, just about anything made from pork. I'd love to do a whole pig roast one day. I hope your BBQ sauce turns out well.

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."Henry Ford

My Weight Journal ~MissyDee~

Old 11-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Ladies! I do enjoy every minute with my little guy because I know it doesn't last long. I have a niece who is 6 already and I still can't believe it.

The BBQ sauce turned out well, it was actually recipe I found on this site, right here. I used the equivalent of 8 tsp liquid sweetener, because I think the liquid measurement in the recipe varies based on the strength of the liquid.

I wish I liked pork more, but I'm glad I found a few recipes I like. It seems that I will eat it as long as it is tender and heavily seasoned, but plain - can't do it.

Today was decent, I had a lot of cleaning and organizing to catch up on - which I still haven't finished. I took the plunge and officially got rid of some carbs that were asking to be eaten in my pantry. I don't like throwing perfectly fine food away, so I sent it to my parents house. I have been dying to have some wings since I realized they are LC, so that's what we had tonight - with a side of celery. Now I'm browsing recipes to figure out my plan for the week and hope to get to the store bright and early before the crowds tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

oMG...what a little cutie pie!! And, Rick Grimes...love it! I did well on Halloween, but unfortunately, not so well this weekend. This is my first cheat in over a month I thought I was past that phase, but obviously not.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #73
Blabbermouth!!!

Mmmmmmm wings! One of the lovely perks of lc'ing! LOL
Old 11-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeny View Post
This is my first cheat in over a month I thought I was past that phase, but obviously not.
Aw thanks! Love that little guy. It's ok, it happens! You acknowledged it and now you can get right back on track! How ridiculous is it that I cheated with a banana??? LOL Of all the things out there that I have been able to resist for 6 weeks, a banana wins!? I was feeding my son one and it smelled so good... so I took a bite!! It was bad, I know, but pretty hilarious, I felt like a rebellious teenager. But then I got a grip on myself, fortunately, and found something I could eat! I think now that I've done induction for a while it might be safe to add some berries. It would probably make me feel better too, since I seem to miss fruit!

Overall, this weekend was ok! Except the banana incident. I'm hoping since it was only one bite it wasn't really THAT many carbs, not enough to derail me anyway.
B - Eggs & sausage links
L - garlic parm wings, homemade
D - non-breaded nuggets with queso and broccoli
S - a bite of BANANA! Eeep.

I somehow just completely forgot to weigh today! all weekend I was in the 257's, so we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Danielle - YES, a major LC perk unless you count the fact that I'm feeling addicted to them! Suddenly, I'm dreaming about when I can have wings again and different spices to put on them. I had them Saturday then made some again at home on Sunday. Hmm......wonder what's for dinner...
Old 11-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Your tale of banana seduction made me chuckle as I was just bemoaning the fact that at dinner tonight I'd over-indulged in Brussels sprouts, of all things. I mean, what fool would lose restraint over Brussels sprouts?

Last edited by LolaGetz; 11-04-2013 at 04:48 PM..
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE wings. Are they not good for you? lol. I hope they are okay, because I eat them about once a week!!!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Well.............. wings are low carb (plain, original, and garlic parm, at least) but I don't know about the "good for you" part... lol I think they are perfectly fine once a week, but I'm drooling over them 3 times a day...

11/05 - 256.6 - I was excited to see this weight in October, but I will be happy to see it in my rear view soon.

B- Shake
L- wings????
D- Carnitas & Veg w/queso
Old 11-07-2013, 05:10 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

I usually do them about once a week. I love buffalo w/ a touch of ranch in them. I like them hot n spicy!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #79
Blabbermouth!!!

Just checking in on ya.....now I reaaalllllyyy want wings! I may have to get some tomorrow night at dinner...
Old 11-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

ping...pong...
Pulled another 256.4 today. I will be overjoyed just to see a 255 at this point. My goal was 249 by Thanksgiving, it's going to be tough with only 3 weeks to go -- but I'm still aiming for it!!

On the bright side - I tried on a shirt this morning fully expecting to add it to the donation pile, only to find that it actually fit! It never fit me well to begin with even before my pregnancy, so I was a little surprised at that! I'll definitely count it as a small win.

I'm still not as "together" as I would like to be on my prepping/cooking. Stress is taking over - in addition to the holidays coming up, trying to dodge carbs, and chasing after a 1 year old, it is audit season at work - until February! I know that I will feel better and less stressed if I can get organized and meals planned in advance, so I still have that on my to do list. All of my meals have been on plan, but I'm still dining out more than I would prefer.

And, in the spirit of the season.......

Old 11-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

HUGE win on the blouse fitting...HUGE!

I think you could still pull out that number you want by T-day...once you get the scale moving it seems to go down pretty quickly. Don't lose faith and trust your plan to do it's work!

I can only imagine the stress that is starting...sounds rough! Just keep remembering to keep yourself at the very top of the priority list...a guaranteed win all the way around!!♥
Old 11-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Danielle - you are right! Thanks for pointing that out. Old clothes fitting really is a much bigger win than a measly number on a scale, it means I'm obviously slimming down which is the whole point, right!? I was pretty excited again today when some jeans I couldn't even get past my thighs 2 months ago fit me perfectly. I didn't expect them to fit, but was curious if I could at least pull them up this time. They fit! I'm wearing them! I love it! I think my body is finally catching up with the scale, I'm still "only" at -22 lbs but I'm starting to see the changes in my body, which always takes a while for me. Scales can be so frustrating-- on one hand, it keeps me accountable but on the other it can be discouraging when it doesn't move for 2-3 weeks. Or more. Or moves the wrong way. I need to use it for tracking purposes but stop relying on it for motivation.

11/08/13 - 256.6 --
Dinner last night - 1/2 TBone with cauliflower
Breakfast - shake...I'm egged out at the moment.
Lunch - 1/4 roasted chicken with salad and cabbage
Dinner - Pork chops in mustard cream sauce w/asparagus

In other news, we finally listed our old house this week -- and got an offer the very first day! I'm excited and trying to be optimistic that everything will go smoothly with the persons financing so we close quickly. If it goes according to her plan, we'll be all set by Thanksgiving.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #83
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm glad that you can see what incredible progress you've made in such a short amount of time---simply fantastic!! The clothes thing excites me more than the scale, I think! I relate to the love/hate relationship with the scale, and yes, I need it daily to hold me accountable...always having to remember though to NOT let it affect me if it bounces up or stays the same..Always remember that if you are following your plan like how you should, the scale HAS to follow sooner or later no matter what! I'm saying that as much for you as for me!

Congrat's on the pending sale! That would be amazing to be all set before the holidays!!!! Crossing my fingers for you guys.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! Having a contract on the house so quickly did at least help ease some of my stress, just hoping it all goes well from this point! Yes, we have to remind ourselves that If we're doing what we're supposed to be -- the scale will follow!

Thankfully, today it did!

11/09 - 255.2 - newest low & finally broke out of the 256's.

It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend here. I want to get out and about with my husband & son. This is the hubs first weekend to not have to go work on the other house, I don't know what he's going to do with himself now. (Just kidding, there's plenty to do!) We have been Christmas shopping for decorations since last week, I think we're a little excited this year. We have bought a lot of the indoor/tree stuff, but still need to get everything for outdoors. I suppose I will at least wait until the day after Thanksgiving... if I can. My husband is usually not into holidays but I think having a little one has changed him a bit.

Off to make breakfast...better late than never. Have a great weekend!
Old 11-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

It is such a great feeling to fit into smaller clothes Congrats on breaking out of 256!!

Kids always make us appreciate the holidays more because we get to share what we love with them, and their eyes sparkle with curiosity and excitement! Have a great weekend
Old 11-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #86
Blabbermouth!!!

YES! I knew it!!

Enjoy your weekend, how wonderful to have the hubbs back I love watching dads with young kids when we're out, something so cute. I love the ones that actually venture out shopping with 2 or more kids with the diaper bag and stroller
Old 11-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Thank you!
Danielle - bless those with more than one little one at a time!! I feel like my son should have a sibling, but boy is he a handful on his own.

11/10--255.4
I was expecting a much higher bounce this morning, we went to a steakhouse last night and had a big (but compliant) dinner. Followed by a few diet rum n' cokes. For lunch I just happened to have everything to make tacos, so I tried the microwave version of the cheese shells using some provolone slices I had. I've done the cheese "chips" in the oven before, but wow, the microwave makes them 100x faster and it's actually easier to gauge exactly when they need to come out. A few seconds too short and they're soggy, a few seconds too long and they're burnt. Once I found the magic number (55 seconds for me) I was very impressed! I made a few ugly ones while experimenting, so I broke them up and put them in my taco salad. My husband successfully used the shells to fill his tacos to the brim, with no issues. They really do bend into any shape and hold up well, I think next time I will press them into a muffin tin and make miniature taco bowls or even leave them flat as tostadas. I have also added seasonings to the 'crackers' that would probably work well on shells - chili powder, garlic powder, salt.

Today my husband made his first smoked turkey which came out delicious and soo juicy. He wanted gravy so I made some using xanthan gum which was ok, but everyone knows smoked turkey goes best with BBQ sauce! I didn't have time to make the cooked recipe that has to be refrigerated for a while, so I mixed some low sugar ketchup, smokey onion mustard (Target brand), splash of worcestershire sauce, bigger splash of vinegar, few drops of liquid sucralose, sprinkle of onion and garlic powder -- just as good as the bottled stuff.

Overall a good weekend, just a little bummed that it's already almost over!
Old 11-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm absolutely drooling over here reading your post YUMMY!!!

I'm still scratching my head on how I ever had 3 toddlers at one time and stayed sane BTW, that was MUCH easier than having 3 teenagers at one time, just FYI
Old 11-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

11/11 - 256.4 Whoaaa Mr. Scale, wrong way! I guess that would be my fun Saturday night out catching up with me. Not too discouraged since I was expecting it, but still a little bummed about my overall progress, or lack thereof this month. Last month I decided to add fats and it seemed to help, so maybe I'll try that again. And dining out less. And drinking more water. A little movement couldn't hurt, I haven't been as faithful on my elliptical as I would like since my time in the evening is limited. Maybe I'll switch to mornings.

B - my usual - eggs, gouda, turkey sausage.
L - Not sure what's for lunch today, likely a burger patty or roasted chicken since those are my two go-to lunches when I don't pack.
D - turkey leftovers & green beans with bacon. If I get home early enough I might make a pot pie instead.

Danielle - Oh goodness, you must be super mom! I think I could handle 2, but 3 is pushing it. Yep, I can imagine it being a lot tougher when they're teenagers.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Bren, from all my tracking efforts, I have noticed it takes around three days for what you eat to effect your weight. At least for me it does, so I know my weight went up today (11th) because on the 8th I really overate trying to get the scale to budge. Wahlah it did - up a pound...lol. And then I ate some butternut squash (big no-no) on the 9th so my weight will probably go up again tomorrow. But I started strict 72 Induction yesterday so by Thursday my weight will start dropping down again. I love seeing all my charts, it really has helped me predict how things effect my weight so I don't get depressed or surprised when things go haywire.

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! I miss my kids when they were toddlers, that was the best age to me. It really makes the holidays special.

Last edited by mjgh06; 11-11-2013 at 07:56 AM..