Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
You are doing really well! Keep it up. Think of how much more healthy you and your family are now. LOVE that your DH does this with you. My DH and I work together too, isn't it GREAT???
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: br3n
Stats: 278/224/158
WOE: 20-30 carbs per day
Start Date: 09/19/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeny View Post
It's a little expensive, but if you catch it right, you can get good deals sometimes. My family is addicted to asparagus!!! I roast it in a 425 over. Sprinkle it with olive oil, garlic salt and pepper, then a little parmesan cheese. Roast it up for about 15 minutes, and my two boys literally argue over who gets more of it! They come out a little crispy from the cheese on top. Doesn't matter what type of parm you use, but I like the shredded better.
Mmm yes! We love fresh asparagus also, but it has been $4 for a tiny sad looking bundle lately. We still splurge every now and then, especially if we're having steak. I like it roasted in the oven or on the grill with some oil, salt & pepper. One of my favorites! Right behind sweet potatoes, which are off the menu at the moment.

I'll have to try it with the Parmesan! That sounds even more delicious.

Thanks Zipp -- my husband and I both FEEL so much better, which certainly helps us stay on track despite our very uncooperative scale. Working together is nice, especially the car pooling part, as long as we give each other some space. It turns out there CAN be too much of a good thing!

:: My Journal ::

Don't give up what you want most, for what you want right now.
br3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeny View Post
It's a little expensive, but if you catch it right, you can get good deals sometimes. My family is addicted to asparagus!!! I roast it in a 425 over. Sprinkle it with olive oil, garlic salt and pepper, then a little parmesan cheese. Roast it up for about 15 minutes, and my two boys literally argue over who gets more of it! They come out a little crispy from the cheese on top. Doesn't matter what type of parm you use, but I like the shredded better.
Yummmmm I do it exactly that way minus the parm..I'll have to add that because my mouth instantly started watering when I read that! LOL
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

10/16 - 261.8 - again.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs, with butter & 1/4 avocado
Lunch - Chipotle salad again, my original plan didn't work out
Dinner - Cheesy chicken stuffed poblanos
Snack - 3 deli slices pepperoni and 1 oz cheese
Workout - 10 minutes/half mile on elliptical, then my oven was beeping.
Total Carbs: 19
Total Calories: 1,539
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still mad at the scale, but still hanging in there. If it doesn't budge by the end of this month I think it's time to re-evaluate and possibly switch to another controlled carb plan like paleo, sbd, or carb cycling and see if that helps. I definitely don't want to go back to my old way of eating, I'm determined to get this weight off once and for all. I'm trying to be patient, but at the same time I feel like I'm wasting precious time and energy that could be spent trying another plan that might actually work for me. The menu above is a general outline of how I eat pretty much every day, which appears to be 60% fat, 30% protein and 8% carbs. Then again, I purposely ate more avocado today to add fat, so it's probably closer to 50% fat, 40% protein.
Next week I may swap it to include more protein less fat and see if that makes a difference.
Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to dieting. Our bodies are all different, our lifestyles and activity levels are all different. I'm trying to keep a closer eye on exactly what I'm consuming so I can come up with a plan and try different things.

Goodnight for now everyone, hope you're all doing well.

Last edited by br3n; 10-16-2013 at 08:19 PM..
Old 10-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
I upped my fat to 75%, my protein at 20%, and my carbs at 5%, and my week long stall whooshed away. Maybe try upping your fat more? Have you tried fat bombs? They taste pretty good, and are mainly fat. A good way to up your fat.
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Quote:
Two weeks on induction without cheating, along with the information and support gathered on this site, and I am down 14 lbs. as of today. I'm very pleased with that and optimistic - maybe I CAN get this weight off after all!
Bren, the above was quoted from your first post on 10/4. If you were able to lose that much weight on Induction which is very high fat%, I would definitely suggest increasing your fat again. Maybe your body is missing it. Just a thought. I hate to see you go from being so excited about losing the weight to now not knowing if you want to stay with the plan. It just seems it was working for you and then maybe your body got overloaded with to many carbs to quickly, or at least more than it can handle right now and what it wants is more fat.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes, unfortunately, 261.8 again.... BUT!.... at least it's solid and it's not going UP! You're doing awesome!

There are so many ways to play with low carbing it's mind boggling. When you're ready you'll just have to play with it and see. I tried upping protein, then upping fat, then NO carbs at all...ugh, so frustrating. Nothing worked for me when it came to trying it atkins-esque or NK... I thought for sure I'd never be able to "LC" again. Well, turns out I can, and it does work for me, I just don't do it every day. Also, it's more controlled in terms of portions of fat & protein.. My body seems to now thrive on consistency and so far so good. We are all a work in progress and so so different in how we are made. I am crossing my fingers that it's as easy as upping one this or another and you'll be back to those magical losses again!

I don't have my Atkins book out, but I seem to remember there is talk about a standard 'pause' after the initial 2 weeks where some people tend to have a halt in weight loss for a tiny bit after this and then start losing again after a while.. I'm gonna have to drag out my book because it's driving me nuts! Also, I believe there is tons of info on the forums about it--post-induction stall or something like that. Totally believe that you are doing everything right and it's just a matter of your body catching up.

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
Old 10-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone, I'm still hopeful - I REALLY want this to work for me because it feels like something I really can do long-term. I'm hoping things will start moving again soon. I don't think I was getting enough fat last week, so I'm focusing on that for now and hoping I can get a whoosh like Geeny! The fact that my scale is stuck at the exact same weight makes me curious.

Danielle - I didn't see that part in the Atkins book about stalling early, I was actually browsing my index this week to try to find anything about stalls. I did find a fat fast for people who have a tough time losing on induction, but it says it can be dangerous for people who did lose well on induction - which, I did. So, I'll just tweak things for now and HOPE I can figure it out! My husband has been encouraging also, which is unusual for him, usually he doesn't care one way or the other. I was swearing on the way to lunch yesterday saying I was going to Panera and having a bread BOWL just out of spite. Hahaha.. I was kidding of course, thankfully I'm not craving any of that because Panera JUST opened and dang I was excited as I watched it being built. Love me some soup.

Another thought, TMI WARNING:
I'm ingesting all of this heavy meaty food and it uh... doesn't seem to be coming back out. Ever. I'm going to attempt to work on that problem this week also.

The GOOD news: I fit into some clothes today that I refused to wear a month ago, so for now I'm happy-

Breakfast - Atkins cranberry bar. Trying to only use these for absolute emergencies, figured it was better than skipping breakfast which was my alternative.

Lunch - birthday lunch for my coworker, mouthwatering BEEF fajitas with garlic buttah. Can't wait.

Dinner - not sure yet. Thinking either "meatza" or a bacon avocado omelet depending how hungry I am.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Hooray for smaller clothes!!!! That is ALWAYS a great feeling!

Well, girl, ya left that part out about the potty troubles THAT is probably what's wrong. I'm sorry, I don't mean to laugh, but I'm thinking about what you wrote...."......like, never...." Yep, that'll cause the scale to not go anywhere! Fiber Fiber Fiber!

Enjoy your fajitas today!
Old 10-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

also - I got a laugh when my coworkers said they couldn't tell who was coming up the elevator this morning until they saw my face. Apparently something is working.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

bren, I too suffer from 'lack of movement'. If you don't already, start taking additional magnesium supplements daily. That really helped me.

Congrats on the clothes and the coworkers! KUTGW!
Old 10-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Thanks MJ - I was happy to see that my "super D immune complex" includes magnesium, on top of my multivitamin. Maybe that will help - I just have to remember to keep it consistent, I always forget to take them.

OHHHHHH POOR LIL' ME.... I had to eat this awful low carb lunch...

I did skip the grilled onions and pico, even though I love them.

Last edited by br3n; 10-17-2013 at 11:45 AM..
Old 10-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

Holy YUM that looks good!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

One Month In:

Sooo...
It has been a month since I started induction. I catapulted myself head first into the plan after being traumatized by a family photo snapshot required for my son's Mother's Day Out project, which was a huge wake up call as to what I actually look(ed) like. I weigh daily, which I shouldn't, but I'm more interested in documenting the big picture when it comes to my journal. Below are my weekly weigh ins through today, this weekend I plan to take a progress picture and measurements, which I hope to do every month just to see how it unfolds.

09/18 - 278
09/22 - 269 -9 Week 1 {Partial}
09/29 - 266 -3 Week 2
10/06 - 262 -4 Week 3
10/13 - 261 -1 Week 4
10/18 - 260 -1 Week 5 {Partial} Week end is actually 10/20
That brings my total for Month 1 to: -18 lbs.

While I'm sure the first week or two involved mostly water weight, I'm happy with the overall results. I hope my body is just playing catch up at this point and not really stalling - although 1 lb. is better than no lbs or even gaining. My clothing is fitting better and people are noticing so I'm sure some of it must be "real" weight.

My ultimate goal for October: break into the 250's.

My bonus goal for October: see 256 again, which was my pre-pregnancy weight almost exactly 2 years ago. I went from 256 to 308 (yowza!), popped out an 11 lb baby, (ok technically, he was surgically removed!) lost the first 25 lbs easily after the swelling went down, but the rest of it would not budge for the past 15 months, until I tried this WOE.

My husbands progress has been great also, he's a tall guy so he carries it well but I can tell his belly is shrinking and his face even looks smaller. It kind of reminds me of when we first met. He is down 14 lbs in 3 weeks.

Dinner was up in the air but turned out well, we had: Roasted chicken and farmers market mixed greens with some olive oil and peach vinegar. Hoping that vinegar didn't sneak carbs in on me, it had no nutrition label on the bottle. It was only about a tsp anyway.

Today:

Breakfast: Eggs scrambled with sausage and cheese
Lunch: cheeseburger patty with broccoli & cabbage
Dinner: steak & salad, possibly cauliflower mash or another veg.

Still trying to increase my fat and fiber. I did dine out too many times for lunch this week, so I'm planning to make some casseroles on Sunday which are easy to pack for work and filling.

TGIF - Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Holy YUM that looks good!!!
It WAS so good! I wish I could make them so juicy and delicious at home. Maybe I'll try this weekend.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Weekend 10/19 & 10/20 Still bouncing around the 260's. I got really excited when I saw 260.0 on Saturday, but within the next day it bounced up again and I've yet to see the 250's. I'm anxiously awaiting a visit from that elusive poofairy.

My weekend went well, managed to stay on plan. Ate eggs for breakfast both days, tried a few new recipes.

For lunch I made "Alice springs Chicken" which is supposed to be an Outback copycat. It was good and pretty easy, I kept it LC by making the honey mustard sauce from scratch with splenda instead of honey. Then topped the chicken with bacon, sauce & cheese. I didn't have mushrooms to throw in there, so I used sliced zucchini. It was fine, but I bet mushrooms would have been even better.

Jody's Pumpkin Bake - from Linda's website. I was a little disappointed in this when I first made it, but I had another slice for breakfast this morning after refrigerating and it was much better cold. It was a bit 'eggy' and spongy while warm, but after refrigerating took on the thick creamy texture I expect from a pumpkin pie or custard. I cut back on the splenda to reduce carbs, but think it would have been even better with the whole cup. I really need to invest in some liquid sucralose.

I also made meatzza again, this time in a skillet. It was just as good as my baked version and faster to prepare without the baking time. I browned some italian sausage, sauteed a bell pepper and 1/2 onion, put in 1/2 c of NSA tomatoes and italian herbs. I stirred in some mozzarella to hold it together, then topped with even more to give it the pizza effect.

I will be overjoyed if I can get the scale to break into the 250's this week. I added good fats last week like avocado and olive oil with minimal results one way or the other. I do feel a little guilty about eating so much fatty red meat, so maybe I'll cut back on it this week and see if that changes anything. I know that's ingrained into my brain from 16 years of dieting, but surely it couldn't hurt to have a few more chicken meals than we have been lately. I think I subconsciously try to avoid chicken now just because I have practically had to live on the stuff while doing other diets. So, I'm dedicating this week to eating more chicken in delicious low carb ways. The Chickfila cows would be proud.

I also bought some flax meal to make those little egg muffins, hoping that will help with my fiber consumption. I eat veggies with almost every meal, but apparently it's not enough for me!

Here's to rocking another week!

PS. I never knew how much I relied on tomatoes!!! Chicken parmesan - oh, no, tomato sauce. Enchilada chicken? Oh, right, tomato based. Meatzza? Has to have tomatoes. Salsa? Yeah. Tomatoes. I don't have anything against some NSA tomatoes in small amounts, but I can't let a tomato sabotage my efforts! Darn carbs.

Last edited by br3n; 10-21-2013 at 07:56 AM..
Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Monday 10/21--
Had a rough day at work, long evening at home, but stayed on plan & ready for tomorrow.

Breakfast: pumpkin bake (1/8th)
Lunch: double patty hatch chile burger on lettuce
Dinner: Roasted chicken & zucchini fritters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zucchini Fritters -
2 medium zucchini, shredded (I used a processor to save time)
2 green onions
2 eggs
2T flax meal
1/4c grated parmesan
2T coconut (or any) oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

1. Dry the zucchini by adding salt & squeezing in a kitchen towel or lots of paper towels. I put mine in a fine strainer and press it over the sink several times, then pat with paper towels.
2. Heat the oil on medium in a large skillet
3. Blend all other ingredients together
4. Scoop heaping tablespoons full into the hot skillet
5. Brown on each side, 2-3 minutes
6. Add to a plate covered in paper towels to soak excess oil and add a pinch of seasoned salt while they're still hot

Unstuffed Zucchini {Casserole} -
1 lb ground beef
2 medium zucchini, shredded or diced
1/2 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1c tomatoes (Pomi brand has 5 carbs and 4 fiber per 1/2c serving)
8 oz mozzarella, shredded
1T Italian seasoning
Salt & pepper to taste

I didn't have time to hollow out zucchini boats, so I got my processor out to shred the zucchini and make it casserole style instead.
In a deep skillet or dutch oven:
1. Brown ground beef and onion
2. Add the zucchini and garlic, about 6-8 minutes
{it was a little watery at this point, so I drained it before moving on}
3. Add the tomatoes and seasonings
4. Let simmer for 5 minutes
5. Stir in 2/3 of the mozzarella
6. Top with the rest of mozzarella
7. Bake @ 350 for 20 minutes and broil for 3-4 minutes for a bubbly top

and lunch for tomorrow is ready!
Old 10-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

10/22--
259.8 today! woohoo I hope the 260s are in the past forever.
I am on a new mission today, to research blood glucose levels. My doctor said I was perfectly fine and never mentioned any BG issues when I had a panel drawn in August. Purely out of curiosity I decided to get a BG monitor mostly to see if splenda and Atkins products have a negative effect on me and also because its free after rebate. I was super surprised to see the monitor display a 132 first thing this morning. According to what I've learned so far, that's pretty bad for a fasting level. I'm anxious to do more testing throughout the day to see what happens after I eat.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

COngrats Bren!!

Don't get to carried away monitoring your blood levels. I did that by borrowing my mom's tester. For me I had to give it back, I just get so obsessive about things.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Thanks MJ - trying not to. I really just wanted it to test out my reaction to artificial things but when I saw 132 as my 'fasting' level it has really worried me!! Researching the topic is even more confusing because there are 200 "experts" with different theories. What's interesting is I did a 10am test just now and it dropped to 101. How strange that it's higher when fasting and less when I eat food? Or is that normal? I'm so clueless!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Lookin good, Bren! That scale has NO choice but to move down.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
Your zucchini fritters sound so delicious. I am always looking for new side dishes and will definitely be borrowing that one!!!
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Thanks- I hope you enjoy! They also made a great breakfast as leftovers, but the texture wasn't as crisp. I just had to find something to do with my extra shredded zucchini and was pleasantly surprised. I'm thinking next time I might try to spread the mixture across a pan to make a breakfast hash brown sort of thing. The recipe makes 5-6 fritters.

Thanks, Danielle! I know it has to move eventually, hopefully I'm over the 261 hump for good!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

I think you will be able to say goodbye to that number for good!

Gonna try your zucc recipes this weekend!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by br3n View Post
Thanks MJ - trying not to. I really just wanted it to test out my reaction to artificial things but when I saw 132 as my 'fasting' level it has really worried me!! Researching the topic is even more confusing because there are 200 "experts" with different theories. What's interesting is I did a 10am test just now and it dropped to 101. How strange that it's higher when fasting and less when I eat food? Or is that normal? I'm so clueless!
I went to several sites including WebMD and I asked my mom who is a diabetic on how testing works. Normally it should be lower during a fast. Here's what I found:

Normal Blood Sugars
A normal fasting (no food for eight hours) blood sugar level is between 70 and 99
A normal blood sugar level two hours after eating is less than 140

Pre-diabetes is diagnosed by any one of the following:

A fasting blood glucose in between 100-125
An A1c between 5.7 - 6.4 percent
Any value between 140 and 199 during a two-hour 75g oral glucose tolerance test

Diabetes is diagnosed by any one of the following:

Two consecutive fasting blood glucose tests that are equal to or greater than 126
Any random blood glucose that is greater than 200
An A1c test that is equal to or greater than 6.5 percent. A1c is an easy blood test that gives a three month average of blood sugars
A two-hour oral glucose tolerance test with any value over 200

So Bren, I would get checked by your doctor and ask for the A1C test, just to make sure. I just wouldn't take any chances. At least with the A1C you'll have a three month average to know for sure.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
I went to several sites including WebMD and I asked my mom who is a diabetic on how testing works. Normally it should be lower during a fast. Here's what I found:

Normal Blood Sugars
A normal fasting (no food for eight hours) blood sugar level is between 70 and 99
A normal blood sugar level two hours after eating is less than 140

Pre-diabetes is diagnosed by any one of the following:

A fasting blood glucose in between 100-125
An A1c between 5.7 - 6.4 percent
Any value between 140 and 199 during a two-hour 75g oral glucose tolerance test

Diabetes is diagnosed by any one of the following:

Two consecutive fasting blood glucose tests that are equal to or greater than 126
Any random blood glucose that is greater than 200
An A1c test that is equal to or greater than 6.5 percent. A1c is an easy blood test that gives a three month average of blood sugars
A two-hour oral glucose tolerance test with any value over 200

So Bren, I would get checked by your doctor and ask for the A1C test, just to make sure. I just wouldn't take any chances. At least with the A1C you'll have a three month average to know for sure.
Thanks for the information! That's exactly why I'm concerned. I bought this little meter just mostly as a toy to satisfy my curiosity and suddenly, according to the internet, I'm diabetic?? I sure wasn't expecting all that. It's crazy. My doctor said I was fine in August when I asked them to run blood work, surely it would have had to at least be somewhat high? I'm going to keep tracking for a few days to see if there is any difference and will most likely make any appointment if they stay high, I'd like to see if any other numbers have changed as well.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

10/23 - 258.4 - FBG Level 113, down from 132 yesterday
Mornin' everyone.

I am chipper as a chipmunk today -- my scale appears to no longer be broken. Woohoo! I was scared it was going to bounce back up to the 260's, so I am THRILLED today.

Breakfast: Atkins shake, thank goodness for plan b's, was running late.
Lunch: Leftover zucchini casserole, I used 2 lbs of beef so there was a ton of it.
Dinner: Beef fajitas & guac. I have never attempted this at home, hoping they turn out! I put them in a marinade last night and it's the hub's turn to grill.

Yesterday 10/22--
Breakfast: leftover zucchini fritters
Lunch: zucchini casserole
Dinner: roasted chicken w/ fritters

Apparently I like zucchini...
Old 10-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Where Are you?
Old 10-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #59
Blabbermouth!!!

Checking in on you, hope all is well!
Old 10-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

I'm baa-aack!
Sorry I was MIA over the weekend -- was super busy, even more so than usual!

My sweet little nephew was born on Thursday night. I had my niece for a while, so I loaded up my tiny Batman, and his cousin BatCat, as she named herself, for a trip to the Zoo Boo. Lots of fun. LOTS of walking. We are now members of the Zoo so I have a feeling there will be lots of 5 hour walks in my future.

Eating went well, though I admit it was tough at the Zoo - concession foods are my weakness.. hot fluffy pretzels, nachos made of faux cheese, popcorn --oh my! Not to mention the candy being passed out as part of the Halloween program. But, I stayed strong and took out my Atkins bar when I got hungry. I don't eat those often, but they can be life savers in those situations.

My scale was being finicky this weekend, but this morning I pulled off a new low: 256, my pre-pregnancy weight!!! Super proud to meet that milestone, just hoping it doesn't bounce on me again!

Most of my food was uneventful - eggs, bacon, burger patties, chicken. But, yesterday we did enjoy lunch by the lake at a good seafood restaurant. I had grilled shrimp with butter, green beans, and a salad. It's nice to get out sometimes. We used to ALL the time and I guess that's why I'm avoiding it, too many temptations out there. I just thought about what I would have before we got there and didn't bother browsing the menu. It seemed to work out fine that way!

Overall, still on track! Only a few more days of October left and I hope to make the most of them.

Have a great week everyone!