Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #691
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
Just got back from the doctor's office. He said I look great. Didn't even do my bloodwork today, although he did do a PAP. Wants to see me in April again and do full bloodwork then.
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #692
Major LCF Poster!

B~MIM w/olivio coconut spread
S~atkins peanut m and m's
L~leftover chicken divan
S~jello w/redi whip
S~slice of pizza
D~cheeseburger topped w/ lc ketchup, mustard, bacon bits and mayo...pickle spear (just got home from work and chomping on this as I type) chocolate chai tea w/ 2 splenda
Old 01-14-2014, 05:58 AM   #693
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
You are doing so well Lisa. Look how far you have come in just a few months. It really is amazing. KUTGW!
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:16 AM   #694
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Missy! You aren't doing so bad yourself!! Look at you

This morning, I was craving BLT's. So, I decided to make a BLT salad!

Chopped up 2 romaine leaves, topped it with 4 pieces of chopped up bacon, a tbsp of mayo, 1/4 of a roma tomato diced, and one piece of american cheese, cut up. It tastes amazing
Old 01-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #695
Major LCF Poster!

Lately life has been really hard here. I know I should have been writing about this a while ago. But, here goes. I am letting it all hang out.

My brother and I didn't talk for almost ten years. He was in prison, and when he would get out, he would break parole and wind up right back in the slammer. When Andrew was a baby, my brother robbed me. But, not just me, he broke into my parents house, he stole my sister's car....he did lots of bad things. So, I withdrew. I gave up. My parents trudged on, still accepting calls from prison. If I was there when one would come in, they would try to hand me the phone and I would shrug it off. More than once, my dad would become angry with me. BUT...I was raising a boy to become a man on my own. I didn't want him looking up to Uncle Dj. I didn't want him to know that people like that existed. So, I wrote my brother off. Christian came along, and he never met Dj. Not until he turned 4, and Andrew was 11 did they meet my brother. And, it wasn't by my choice, but I am happy it happened.

My parents were having Easter at their house that year. So, I showed up with my boyfriend (Christian's dad), and the two boys. And, who was sitting in there living room...but my brother. He was 28 years old. At first I was mad that my parents had set me up...but I hadn't seen him since he was 18. I hadn't heard his voice or seen his smile. I took one look at him...and melted. My baby brother was now a man. His voice was manly. He was TALL. Our bond that day is what he claims kept him from going back to prison. Me letting him build a relationship with his nephews is what made him want to be back home. He ended up getting off of parole one year later, and has never gone back to jail. He has never had any problems again.

Well...life goes on. I left Jim (Christian's dad) after a very tremulous relationship. My brother met a girl (who had a little boy named Owen) and they moved to South Carolina together. They had a baby together (Jonathan). I missed my brother dearly, but I knew in my heart that he needed to create his own life. To get away from the triggers that held him back for so many years. And, he was doing good! He was a dad to two wonderful boys. He was in a successful relationship. He had a full time job, a nice house, not a perfect life, but a good one. I couldn't be happier for him. And, then last spring he announced that they were moving back home!! He hadn't been home in four years. It was the best news ever. I thought. What I didn't know is that his relationship was on the rocks. He had lost his job, and him and his girlfriend were on there way back home to live with her mom.

That did not last too long. Right after Thanksgiving, my brother left Kristin (girlfriend). He came to me. He asked to stay the night and told me things had been very rough. Well...the night turned into the month. And then a few more days.

My brother has a good job now, and I knew it wouldn't take long for him to save the money to get his own place. But, Christmas came and went...and he bought no presents for his boys. None for mom and dad, none for no one. He was not helping me with the bills, or contributing to food. I don't know what he was spending his money on, and frankly I am afraid to find out. He wanted me to put his truck in my name, and get plates for it, and add it to my insurance, but he became mad when I found out he doesn't have a license, and owes A LOT of money to get his license back. I told him I would not do it. He went and found some random cousin of ours to do it for him, but has been driving illegally for a while now. I had no clue.

Then the drinking started. Drinking every night. Sometimes not even coming home. I would sit up all night waiting for him to come home, worrying that he was pulled over, or in a fight, or in jail or an accident. When I confronted him about it, he just blew it off, saying I'm not his mom. Or babysitter. My Christian has been sleeping on a futon since Dj moved in. He has not had his own bedroom, because I let my brother have it. Yesterday, after the third day in a row of my brother not showing up when he said he would be here, and me sitting up all night yet again, I sent him a text message telling him that he had to move out. It crushed me to tell him that. I have no idea if he is homeless now, or if bad things will happen to him. I have no idea if he will revert back to his former ways. I came home from work last night, and all of his belongings were gone. I tried calling him to find out where he was going to stay, but he did not answer. I know I did the right thing. I know he needs more of a bachelor pad type household, and this is not that, but I can't help but feel like I have let him down.

I love him so much.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

Old 01-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #696
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Tough love is what he needs. You've given him a chance, he's acted irresponsibly & allowed your generosity to enable bad choices ($$ for booze). It is time to grow up, that's for sure.

So much to be thankful for in his story. That he straightened up enough to get off parole, to hold down a job, he didn't 'steal' from you when he left, etc. He should come to his senses soon & realize what a blessing you are to him.

I will pray for him. Now's the time for him to make some serious life-changes.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #697
Senior LCF Member

I am so sorry Lisa. You know about some of the stuff I have and am going through. I would love to say I do not understand and can only offer you words of encouragement. Unfortunately, I also have been in that type of situation. It is a very difficult road to be on and I understand your heartache, anger, frustration, and fear all to well. You did the right thing by telling him to move out. I know you are still going to feel bad and worry and everything else but know my thoughts and prayers are with you. Your priority has got to be you and your children first and foremost. Your brother has to make his own way in this world and figure things out for himself. You did right by letting him stay to begin with and you did right by telling him to leave. I hope one day he will mature and get right. I will pray for him as well.

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."Henry Ford

My Weight Journal ~MissyDee~

Old 01-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #698
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight, at work, a couple came in. They told me they did not want any bread, and that they were looking to start Atkins, and wanted to know what was safe to eat!@!! Ha ha. I sure gave them an earful. I showed them how to manipulate the "Italian, Pasta based menu" to fit their needs. They were very surprised They ended up ordering the peppadew peppers stuffed with goat cheese (sans the breadcrumbs sprinkled on top) and the spicy sausage and peppers as appetizers. Then they shared the Pork Shank (w/ a marsala wine and broth reduction) minus the carrots and potatoes, instead getting grilled asparagus with it and a plate of spinach sautéed in garlic olive oil. The Shank is so big, that they were able to share it. I loved talking to them. I told them about this site, and I shared Linda Sue's website with them. I shared with them my progress as well. Told them to come back anytime and request me. They were very nice! It felt good to talk to them about low carbing.

I still haven't heard from my brother, but I did talk to my mom and dad. I told them that Dj didn't really do anything wrong, that my house just wasn't a good fit for him. My mom and dad agreed that this was the best thing to do. He will come around eventually.

I made lunch for my sister today. (AGAIN) The more progress I make, the more she wants to start lc'ing. (As well as half the people I work with lol) I chopped up some chicken, sautéed it in butter and herbs, added 1 can of tomatoes, 1 packet of Ideal sweetener, and let it simmer for half an hour. Then, I made 2 portions of Dreamfields penne and added it to the chicken. Turned the pan off, sprinkled 1 cup of shredded mozzarella on top and covered it with a lid to help it melt. Made 6 servings, at about 5 carbs each I also made Linda Sue's Magically Moist Almond Cake. It was okay. I will eat it, but probably won't make it again. The texture is a little too gritty for my liking. BUT...my sister loved it!! And, so did my little 1 year old niece Bella They both were eating it up!!

B~BLT salad
L~chicken and pasta w/ tomatoes and mozzarella, 1 slice almond cake w/ whipped cream, 1 c vanilla chai tea
D~chicken and pasta w/ tomatoes and mozzarella, 1 slice almond cake w/ whipped cream
S~2 hotdogs topped w/ 2 tbsp. lc hotdog chili, 2 tsp chopped onion, mustard
Old 01-15-2014, 03:25 AM   #699
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Congrats on your amazing loss. You are so impressive. And what fun it must be to clear out your closet and have an excuse to pick up a few new items. So exciting. Way to go!
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:15 AM   #700
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Lola
Old 01-15-2014, 06:40 AM   #701
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Parisfox
Stats: 247/..../160
WOE: LC & VLC
Start Date: Re-start 12/01/2013
So sorry to hear about your brother. We all have to make our own choices...and he's making his. The main thing my kids understood when they occasionally needed to come home temporarily was "My house, my rules." If I wanted/needed to live with someone I would expect to abide by their rules. You aren't his mom, but it is your house. You did the right thing. Not only for yourself and your kids, but for him too. It's obvious you love him. Hopefully, someday he will realize that. I'll pray for him too.

“Don’t promise yourself bad food as a reward for good behavior.”

"Always keep people in your life who charge your battery, not those who drain it."
Parisfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #702
Major LCF Poster!

S~almond cake w/ 1 tbsp whipped cream
B~spicy habanero burger from mcd's without the bun, small iced coffee w/ sugar free vanilla
S~atkins peanut m and m's
L~avocado bacon grilled chicken sandwich(bunless), side salad w/ blue cheese dressing(All compliments of Chili's Restaurant)
S~1/2 oz. mozzarella, 1/2 oz. sharp cheddar
D~dreamfields penne w/ meatsauce and mozzarella on top (more meat than pasta lol)

I ate a lot today, but I was a double at work, and was on my feet all day long. I woke up early to get the kids off, and was starving, so I had a small snack of the cake. Usually when I have super hungry days, it is followed by days when I barely eat anything...or my body is getting ready for a big whoosh

Last edited by greengeeny; 01-15-2014 at 07:18 PM..
Old 01-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #703
Senior LCF Member

Here's to the WHOOSH coming!!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #704
Major LCF Poster!

I think for the next week, I am going to count my carbs more closely. I have never really counted them, but I am curious as to how many I am actually eating per day. What I am doing is working, but I am just curious. I will only count net carbs though. That's how I count them right now in my head any old way
Old 01-16-2014, 04:21 AM   #705
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
You are doing great and the weight is melting off ! Have a great day !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #706
Major LCF Poster!

Original Almond chicken salad

1 1/2 lbs chicken
curry powder
3 tbsp butter
1 c slivered almonds
1 c grape halves
5 celery stalks
1/2 med onion
1 1/2 c mayonnaise
1/4 c cider vinegar
1/4 c milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

In a frying pan, melt butter. Sprinkle curry on raw chicken and pan saute until cooked through. Let cool.

In a seperate bowl, add slivered almonds (toasted over low heat), grape halves, chopped celery and chopped onion.

In another bowl, combine mayo, vinegar, milk, salt and pepper. Mix in with almond mixture. With two forks, shred the chicken and add to the almond mixture. Chill.

My new LC version of Almond Chicken Salad

1 1/2 lbs chicken
curry powder
1 tbsp butter
2 stalks celery
4 chives
1/4 c sugar free bread and butter pickle chips chopped up
30 almonds
1/2 c mayo
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp almond milk
1 tsp splenda
salt and pepper

I prepared the salad the same way. I used to eat this over cantaloupe, but now I will be eating it on a bed of lettuce. I have no idea how many carbs were in the original recipe. I have made that chicken salad for YEARS. BUT...the new chicken salad is 4 servings, and is 2.5 carbs per serving

Last edited by greengeeny; 01-16-2014 at 09:52 AM..
Old 01-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #707
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Hi there, I came over to read your journal. I love it. You have great menus and recipes. I am to page 12 so far and you have done so great. Plan to finish your journal this weekend. I will be trying some of your recipes.

About your brother don't feel guilt. I use to have two step sons that pulled all you told us about. The one moved in for a 2 week vacation and got kicked out 9 months later. We went thru all you have talked about. Neither man has changed. This started for me in 1990. One is still in prison. The other still has not grown up. These boys are 45 and 43. I got divorced from their dad in 2010 and the men are still the same today. You did all you can do. Don't feel guilty. I did for a long time then finally decided it was their problem not mine. You cannot change him. He is going to do what ever he wants. If he is like my two men he will promise you what ever you want then do the reverse. You did the right thing and yes it is called tuff love.
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #708
Major LCF Poster!

So...today I tried my hand at making ""reese cups". They are a little richer than reese cups, but YUM!! And, so easy to make.

Bottom Layer:

2 Tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp splenda

Top Layer:

2 Tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup natural smooth peanut butter
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp splenda
chopped nuts (I used 8 chopped macadamia nuts)

Line a mini muffin tray with 12 cupcake liners, or use a silicone jello mold, like I did. Stir all ingredients for the bottom layer together until smooth ( you may have to melt the butter and peanut butter a little) and divide between the wells (each should be about half full). Put the tray in the freezer on a flat surface and freeze until solid (It took mine about 10 minutes). Meanwhile, stir all ingredients together for the top layer until smooth (again, you may have to heat the butter and peanut butter for 20 seconds to get them to mix well) and divide on top of the set chocolate mixture. Sprinkle nuts on top. Return to the freezer and freeze until solid (it took me an additional 10 minutes). Store the treats in the freezer.

I took an idea I saw online, and blended it with the fatbomb idea, and this is what I came up with.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #709
Major LCF Poster!

Old 01-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #710
Major LCF Poster!

1 frigo light string cheese-.5 carbs
1 c chicken bouillon broth-0 carbs
Chicken salad on top of 2 romaine leaves chopped up-3 carbs
1 reese cup-2 carbs
2 tuna patties-1 carb
mockafoni and cheese-5 carbs
cheese sauce-2 carbs
1 reese cup-2 carbs
glass of crystal light lemonade-0 carbs

20 carbs even
Old 01-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #711
Major LCF Poster!

Christian loved the tuna patties w/ cheese sauce and mockafoni and cheese. Andrew, on the other hand, asked when I was going to start making "American" food again lol. I ended up making Andrew 2 steakums w/ cheese instead. He did try it though.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #712
Major LCF Poster!

So...I was guessing on the carbs in the reese cups. This morning I plugged in the info, and discovered they are 2.7 carbs each. Not too bad considering they are so rich, and I can't eat a ton of them at one time any old way
Old 01-17-2014, 05:18 AM   #713
Major LCF Poster!

Two oscar mayer classic wieners w/ 2 tbsp of lc chili, 1 tbsp chopped onion and drizzle of mustard is 2.2 carbs. That is an amazing breakfast to me!!!! LOVE CHILI DOGS
Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 AM   #714
Senior LCF Member

Wow! I am going to have to try the reeses cups - I am a PB Addict!

How did you make the tuna patties? I didn't see your recipe? I don't much like tuna, but maybe if made like salmon patties.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #715
Major LCF Poster!

Ha ha Missy...it's because the recipe isn't mine It is Linda Sue's. TUNA PATTIES - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes She suggests putting either her salmon sauce on it or tartar sauce. I made my own version of her salmon sauce. I melted 2 laughing cow original wedges in teh microwave, added a little water to thin it out, and added some lemon pepper. It tasted pretty delish.

The only thing I would do different about the reese cups is maybe add a little salt to one of the layers, and maybe flip the layers. Put the peanut butter on the bottom and chocolate on top.

Last edited by greengeeny; 01-17-2014 at 11:53 AM..
Old 01-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #716
Major LCF Poster!

2 chili hotdogs-2.2 carbs
12 wings at the sportsbar-6 carbs (just guessing, they were NOT breaded or floured or anything like that. I got half of them firecracker ranch, and teh other half garlic parmesan. The ranch and the parm probably added a few carbs. So, just to be safe, saying 6 carbs)
Spinach lasagne-2.5 carbs
reese cup-2.7 carbs

Dinner will be teh spinach lasagne, which is cooking right now. And, dessert will be one of the reese cups. That puts me at 13.4 carbs for the day. BUT...I am having an early dinner because I am working all night long. Not sure if I will be hungry after work. If I eat more, I will post it.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #717
Major LCF Poster!

SPINACH LASAGNA - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
Old 01-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #718
Major LCF Poster!

Chicken salad-2.5 carbs
reese cup-2.7 carbs
frigo light cheese stick-.5 carbs

Which now brings my carbs to 19.2 for the day
Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 AM   #719
Major LCF Poster!

Decided to try my hand at an almond butter cookie. I drizzled just a little bit of cocoa powder, splenda, butter and almond milk combined on each one. I calculated it out to be 1.9 carbs per cookie...so for safety sake, just say 2.

1 cup almond butter
1 cup splenda
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
Optional:
1 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp splenda
splash of almond milk
1 tbsp butter

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine the almond butter and sweetener. Add the egg, vanilla, and baking soda. Scoop cookies onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Flatten the cookies using a fork to make the crisscross pattern (Each time you go to press down on the cookies to make the crisscross pattern, dip the fork in the granular sweetener first to help keep the fork from sticking to the dough). Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. If you are using the chocolate on top, combine the ingredients and microwave for 30 seconds. Drizzle a small amount on top of each cookie. Makes 24 cookies.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #720
Senior LCF Member

YOU are killing me with these cookies! I keep going back up to those reeses cups and drooling I am going to have to try to make them soon or I may just end up eating a jar of PB.