Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Yum -- your pork loin and cabbage recipe sounds fabulous! That will go nicely with Linda Sue's German "potato salad." Good for you for having a healthy low carb dinner last night -- which can't be easy when you are in a restaurant surrounded by pasta and bread, but you did it! You are going to keep losing more and more weight because you are on a very positive trajectory!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Yummy...... Don't work too hard today ! Enjoy your delicious supper !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
After working all day long, I am beat, worn out and hungry Got the pork roasting in the oven and my house smells lovely!! I am pretty sure I am below 10 carbs for the day, so probably gonna have a slice of that delish cheesecake for dessert tonight. I am excited to sit down to a comforting dinner (although it will be a late one, around 7:30 or so) and relax with my boys for the evening. Have a great weekend girls!
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
OMG, I came over to read yours after you posted on mine. I kept searching for the Like button...lol (FB) You are Amazing! I can't believe you have lost all that weight since Sept. WTG! I loved several of your posts, especially your first about you and your son walking, and the one about you making the cakes. I don't think I would have that much self-control. Great Job!

You mentioned a cheesecake in several posts. Do you have the recipe for it and is it one that is allowed during induction - carb wise? If so, can you post the recipe.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Okay...I am not sure if this is induction friendly because it has nuts as the crust. BUT...you can always omit the nuts until you are up to that level. I do it with the nuts, but then again, I did no induction. I just try to stick to less than 20 carbs a day

A-1 Best Cheesecake - LowCarbFriends Recipes

Seriously...this is good stuff
Old 10-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

I found that recipe a few years ago on this website. It has been a staple in my house for years now. I make it at holidays especially when everyone will be having pies and cakes and cookies. You should peruse the recipes on here. They have a thing where you can add a favorite to a watchlist. That way you can always access it. There are a few that I have tagged. Everything from taco soup to beef tips with onion gravy. Lots of goodies on there!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Tomorrow morning I am heading to the grocery store to pick up a few things. My plan is to make a few quiches and keep them in the fridge/freezer. I picked two for now. A sausage quiche and a mexican quiche. They are both off of Linda Sue's recipes. The only difference is I have some rotisserie chicken still in the fridge, and I am gonna toss that into the mexican quiche. I have made quiches before, and always loved them. Even my little guy loves them
Old 10-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

I can't sleep. So, I am googling and asking questions. Thinking about ordering Davinci syrups. What do you think? Someone guided me to this recipe.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...rk-recipe.html

I have to sleep on it lol. I might check TJ Maxx and Homegoods. They were saying you can find them there every now and then.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

1/2 large chicken breast -- cut in small cubes
4 smoked sausage links (I used andouille sausage)
1/2 lb shrimp, deveined and shelled
4 stalks celery -- diced
1/4 onion -- chopped
1/4 green pepper--chopped
1 can chicken broth -- (14.5 oz)
1 can green chiles -- (4 oz.) chopped
1 can peeled tomatoes -- (14.5 oz)
2 teaspoons garlic -- chopped
4 slices bacon
1 teaspoon tabasco sauce -- red
1 cup okra, frozen -- sliced
1 cup water

Fry cut up bacon in a little butter and oil. Add chicken. Saute until not pink anymore. Add raw veggies (celery, onion, garlic and green pepper). Cook until soft. Add rest of ingredients, accept okra and shrimp. Let cook with lid on for about 10 minutes. Take off lid, add okra. Cook until okra is thawed through. Add the shrimp and put the lid back on for about ten minutes. Serve. Made about 8 servings for us.

This is the recipe that I have used for years for gumbo. I usually make a little rice on the side for the boys to add to theirs but if I don't have it on hand, then it's omitted completely. The boys never minded.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

Old 10-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

AND...this is my goto pizza crust too

Pizza Crust recipe:

blend together 3 eggs and 3 cups shredded mozzarella (or any other cheese you like). Add a little garlic powder, basil and oregano (about a teaspoon of each). Place parchment paper on a baking sheet, or spray with an oil to make it not stick. Spread mixture into circle or square shape, evenly flat. Bake at 450F for 15-20 mins. until brown and crispy. When its done baking, top as you please. I like to use garlic butter or alfredo sauce as my base. Add meat, veggies and cheese. Pop back in the oven to melt toppings and voila!! It is so good, you will never miss real pizza. My kids even love it!
If you use the parchment paper, the crust is not as crisp. But still delicious. This does NOT taste like eggs either! To reheat, put slice in a pan on the stove and let the heat melt the toppings and crisp the bottom. My favorite toppings are alfredo sauce, chopped chicken, red pepper flakes, raw spinach, and mozzarella. Topped it with green onions on top. Delicious!!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Pork Meatballs with Cilantro and Coconut Milk
Serves: 6, takes 1 hour to cook
A great midweek or party dish.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs ground pork
1 onion, very finely chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 red hot pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tsp. garam masala
1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
4 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. curry paste
1 can tomatoes,drained and chopped
3/4 c coconut milk
1 tbsp. lemon juice

Method

Heat the oven to 425 F.
Put the meat, onion, egg, pepper, garam masala, half the ginger and half the cilantro in a bowl.
Season with a little salt and black pepper.
Mix well then shape into small balls - approximately 1/2'" in diameter.
Put the meatballs, in a single layer, in a large roasting pan and drizzle over the olive oil. Toss gently.
Place in the oven and cook for about 15 minutes, until golden.

While the meatballs are cooking make the sauce. Heat a saucepan and add the curry paste and remaining ginger.
Cook for a few minutes, stirring all the time.
Then add the tomatoes and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the coconut milk and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.

Pour the sauce over the meatballs, mix well.
Return them to the oven and cook for another 20 minutes.
Just before serving stir in the lemon juice and scatter over the remaining cilantro.

A friend of mine in England sent me this recipe a while ago. It was on a tv cooking show from Ireland. I have yet to make this, but it sounds like it would be a great low carb dish to try
Old 10-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Okay...and one more thing...I woke up this morning, got ready for the day. Put on a nice sweatshirt because it finally feels like fall. Put on a pair of my nicest fitting jeans, and guess what? I have saggy ass lol. I guess the weight is starting to come off of my rump!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

I am sure you look great. But you know what works for a saggy ass? Doing squats. You don't have to go to the gym to do them. You just need a mirror to make sure your form is okay. Some people eventually add light free weights, one for each hand, once they have become stronger. Your recipes above sound great.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

I am afraid to do squats Gail I tore my minuscus a few years ago, and it acts up every now and then. When I squat, I can hear things cracking and stuff in my knee. It just makes me nervous. The saggy ass was in my jeans lol...the butt of my jeans was just a little too big for me

I know eventually I am going to have to start doing squats again.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

I made fat bombs for the first time today. They are so yummy I made them with almond butter, butter, coconut oil and splenda. BUT...I found these recipes tonight after work, and I think my next batch might incorporate these great ideas!!!

HFLC Fat Bombs! Zesty Lemon Cream and Chocolate Almond Butter {Grain-free, Gluten-free, Low-carb} | All the Love-- Without the Wheat
Old 10-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

This afternoon I have a doctor appointment before I go to work. I had my blood work done a few weeks ago, but my dr. was on vacation, so another dr. read it. He didn't change my hormones, but did say I needed to come in and see my dr. Today is going to be a hard appointment for me. Today, I am going to tell my dr. that I have struggled with depression over taking the hormones and how I feel they have made me gain weight. Today I will tell him that I have not always taken the hormone like I am supposed to, and that many times it was by choice that I stopped taking it. And, many times, it was for atleast a week. It has happened this way for almost two years. Every few months, I start to feel like they are not helping me, instead they are hurting me, and I stop taking them. And, now I feel like I have done irreparable damage to myself. My memory is horrible. I forget things constantly. Simple things. I repeat myself nonstop. I lose simple things. I am only 38 and I feel like I am showing signs of alzheimers already

I have never been honest with my doctor about taking the hormone before. I have always said yes, I take it regularly, but that is not true. I am crying as I type this because it is hard for me to think about what I have done to myself. I guess it is still hard for me to admit that my thyroid was bad when I seemed healthy, and then after starting the hormones, my body started gaining weight when I thought it would be easier to keep it off.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Will be praying for you . As a nurse, please know that Dr's hear this all the time ! You are not the only one I hope he has some answers for you sweetie .
There are lots of options out there , he should work with you and your concerns. I am going to be questioning my Premarin when I see my Dr. too .

let us know how it goes ...
Old 10-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: br3n
Stats: 278/224/158
WOE: 20-30 carbs per day
Start Date: 09/19/13
Hi there! You are doing great! Thanks for the lovely recipe ideas! I love to cook also and keep making things up as I go but I worry that I'll eventually get bored, so I'm always on the look out for new recipes and ideas. I have a 15 month old son and it's just amazing how time flies, I can't imagine the day he turns 18 - I will fall to pieces!

Sorry you're going to have a rough appointment, honesty is the best policy. Maybe they can help you get things straightened out. I know how you feel about the memory issues. I have always prided myself on the fact that I had a great memory and attention to detail, which helped me excel at my job. But, after having my son I still have trouble remembering the simplest things. It's making me crazy! I hope all goes well at your appointment -- hang in there!

Last edited by br3n; 10-08-2013 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: adding
br3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Lisa, let us know how it goes with the doctor today if you can. We are thinking of you. Laura is right about doctor's seeing that kind of thing all the time. Hopefully they can offer a better solution. On the bright side, your doctor is going to be really impressed with your fabulous weight loss.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Honesty is always best with your dr. I also was on meds (have been for three yrs) that I feel make me gain weight, and I would do the same thing. I would just stop taking them to lose a pound or so, sometimes I would not take them for a whole month. But I always told the dr. I was still taking them. Unfortunately, I have done unrepairable damage by doing that. I didn't realize how powerful the drugs were and the side effects caused by stopping/starting/stopping.

My short term memory is shot completely. You may notice me re-posting similar stuff a lot - that is why. Even if I go back and re-read what I have posted,like in my journal, - by the time I get to the end, I have forgotten what I read.

Long story short, I told my doctor finally last month, and although I have no other options for meds without other major side effects, he is the one who suggested Atkins to help with the weight and is getting me to work with a DO and a dietician. So the sooner you talk to your doc, and if he is worth his salt, he will help and find a way to work with you and your issues.

Let us know how it goes. Wishing you all the best.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
for a good talk with your Dr. & hope you get some answers.
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

So, I just got out of my dr. appointment. I don't start work until 5:30, so I have a little time. I told him everything. I told him my bloodwork from last time probably isn't accurate. I told him that I get depressed when I think about how healthy I was before I started the synthroid, and how unhealthy I am now. I told him that it is hard to swallow that I have to take a pill for the rest of my life. I told him I can't sleep at night, and feel like dead weight during the day. I cried. I told him my son is turning 18 tomorrow and that it is ripping my heart in two. He handed me a tissue and said that he is going to give me a low grade anti-depressant called Celexa. He said it is non habit forming. He also wants me in his office every month for the next three months. He wants to keep an eye on my levels. He feels he might be overmedicating me since I have not been taking my hormones faithfully. I told him I have taken them faithfully for the last two months. He did some bloodwork today. He told me not to fret and that things will be normal again soon. I have a mammogram scheduled for this thursday, and a dental cleaning in the same day. Good times.

I am a little afraid to take the celexa. I don't know much about anti-depressant drugs. He tried to reassure me that it is a mild dosage, and that it will do wonders for me. I also talked to my doctor about the low carb diet, and he said that is exactly what I should be doing!! He was all for it!! I was so nervous to tell him about it lol. Not sure if he would support it or not. I am so happy!! AND>..he was ecstatic about the weight loss He told me that he has been low carbing for over 20 years, but doesn't really mention it to patients unless they bring it up first. That is amazing to me, and makes me feel even more confident doing this WOE.

So far today...I have eaten

2 fat bombs (those things are amazing)
1 slice of sausage and cheese quiche
2 McDonald's regular cheeseburgers, minus the buns.

Tomorrow is my son's birthday. We are having people over for a little barbecue to celebrate. I am making burgers and chicken legs. I have the legs marinating already. I am also making mac n cheese, apple pie and cherry pie. (Andrew doesn't eat cake, only pies every year for birthday). And, do you know what is amazing to me? My family and friends. My friend Marie is bringing Buffalo Chicken Dip, she says it is low carb and that I will love it with celery. My mom is making a veggie tray with a homemade ranch that she says is low carb. My sister said she will make something low carb too as a side. I am feeling so much support from my family and friends. They know I can't afford to cook all the food (I am a single mom lol with one income!) and they are all making things to help support me. I did tell my mom about the anti depressant, and she thinks its a good thing...I don't know if that is good or bad lol.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Thinking of you dear. Perhaps you can ask your doctor if there may be other hormone formulations which might suit you better. I, too, am hypothyroid and found that I did not do as well on generic levothyroxine as I do on Synthroid. I think getting dosages correct is a very sensitive matter. Right now I think my dosage may be a little low but my doctor wants to leave me on this dosage for now and truth be told I fear that increasing the dose might lead to problems with anxiety. Anyway, just wanted you to know that I share your concerns about this issue.

And congrats on the baggy pants! I've not lost pounds but just noticed the same thing with my pants yesterday and I felt soooo happy. Sending you good thoughts.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Came over to read your journal after you posting on mine. I LOVE Macaroni Grill...one of my favorites! You are doing so well...keep up the great work. I love all the recipes....want to come cook for me?

Glad your doctor's appt. went well and he seems to be very understanding. Guess it pays to be honest if we want to make the right choices for our treatment. He had to be impressed with your weight loss. I bet you'll notice a huge difference with a mild dose of the new meds...although they usually take a few weeks before you see the full effect. My daughter has been on an anti-anxiety medication for years and it really does make a world of difference.

Enjoy your son's birthday....hard to see that first one on his way to independence, but that's been our goal all along as parents, right? Hang in there Mom...our sons always have a special place in our hearts no matter how old they get (mine's 42).

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Glad everything went well at he doc. Celexa is a very mild anti-depressant. I have gone through most of them until they found one that worked for me, but I am diagnosed bipolar. Because it is a milder drug, it may take up to 4weeks for you to notice any change, but each person is different. Just know if you feel like it's not working, give it at least a month. The only side effect I had on it was it made me go...regularly. I do remember I had to watch what antibiotics I took on it because some can interact with it. I am so glad your family is supportive. It makes a world of difference!

Keep your spirits up and stay healthy!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Had another fat bomb on my way to work, Then at work, for dinner I ordered Chicken Marsala and swapped out the pasta for asparagus. It was yummy, but I could only eat about half of it. Thank you everyone for your support and friendship. It really does brighten my day to come on here and see all the wonderful comments and encouragement.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Glad your appointment went well.
I would be just as skeptical about the anti-depressants. Have seen it cause very negative effects. Also, realizing that depression is a symptom of your thyroid meds not working properly makes one think that maybe its better to fix the "cause" of the problem, not the symptom. But I know that Dr's are doing that more & more... could cause you to "not care" about losing wt. also.
When I have a "down day" I take a st.johns wort & it helps a lot, but is not habit forming in the least. It just depends on whether you're truly depressed, or just sick & tired of being sick & tired, as you should be!
Check out what they say on stopthethyroidmaddness about Dr's prescribing anti-depressants... I bet they have some good advice.
OK... off my soapbox.
Nice to see you have a board too.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Good advice about maybe seeing if the doctor knows of any other remedies to try before anti-depressants. But a word of caution - Do NOT take St. Johns Wort with ANY anti-depressant! It can make you severely ill. Been there, done that, hospitalized from it. Not saying you would take it together, just a note about it.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #60
Blabbermouth!!!

so glad you have an understanding Dr ! They are hard to find ! WTg on the weightloss and all...... that's great !

Hope you start feeling better soon.

Your family is awesome !!! They are behind you 100 % ! WooHoo !!