Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Sugar free!

Starting a loss journal to see where I go with this.

My background......was a normal sized kid till onset of puberty, and then just chunked weight on...eating lots of sugar and bad foods as latch key kids I think...but by highschool, I was back to normal size. Left home just before my 16th birthday and I already had an eating disorder....and lost alot of weight...unintentionally( nothing to do with the ED...just wasn't eating food!)....had a short term relationship and weight increased...second longer term relationship...initially I lost...then gained...by the end of that relationship was 80kg..... Stayed that way for a while...then ED came back and I was borderline anorexic weight wise with bulimia and severe food control.
Eventually weight stabilised and I went to work overseas weight was 74kg, I felt and looked good stayed that weight for a few years, and got pregnant with my first after a short stint of low carbing , weighing 69kg ( I have PCOS) to help achieve pregnancy. Gained 12kg in that pregnancy...and never lost it after....

Tried to low carb again before pregnancy #2 and it was only a little successful as I kept cheating...ended up using metformin to get pregnant with #2. Lost several kgs in that pregnancy unintentionally. After he was born I was feeling sick, just gross, so did a 6w anti candida cleanse, which was like low carb, and lost a lot of weight! But slowly over time, it crept back on again. When I was TTC #3 I was 83kg...tried herbs, but ended up on metformin again to get pregnant. Initial weight loss again in pregnancy. After he was born I was 89kgs. He is now two and a half and I am 96kg ( well I was at my start weight). Both babies ( 2nd and 3rd) were big ones 9lb 6oz and 10 1/2lbs. So I have alot of extra stretchy skin to begin...and seem to have filled it with fat.

I've known for a while that I was over weight, that I was eating too much sugar....but I have been ignoring that either were a problem. I know sugar is a toxic poison for me, and such an addictive substance. But I couldn't see much of a problem...really....

It wasn't till I had a really light period, like super light, that made me wonder just what would need to happen to me for me to want to ditch sugar....how sick would I need to be, how many aches and pains and life destroying stuff would it take....that's when I decided it had to be now! No more poisoning my body! I never let my kids eat that stuff, so why was it ok to me? Hearing my five year old say to me ' I can't wait till I am big, so I can eat a bag of lollies like you' was like a slap in the face. There was no point me feeding them organic wholefood diets if they were just waiting for the day they could eat junk!

So I made my choice. I wasn't going to be a slave to a poison any more! Was going to low carb my way. I'm not measuring any foods in terms of proteins, am not testing my wee for ketosis, I'm not setting any particular goals by a certain time....just not eating sugar, grains, carby veg...and trying to cut the dairy down a bit.

My start weight was 96kg and size 18-20 clothes...tight :/ I started on the 1st August.
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

One of my biggest issues with any kind of diet, weight loss plan, WLS, way of eating etc is that they don't ever really deal with why the larger person got large in the first place. Some are awesome at food re-education, life style changes, realistic goals...but they don't deal with any of the psychological issues around food...and for me my size was the way it was because of the food I ate...but behind that food was the reason I was eating it! My kids have an awesome diet, pure, basically unrefined, so very healthy...I ate along side of them...and then I also ate junk...junk when I was bored, socially stressed, tired, empty feeling, angry, sad, anxious.....and because I was addicted to sugar.

This time I want to address that....but can't afford therapy ( time or financially ) so I've opted to use some hypnosis CDs that address nutrition, food, emotions around food etc. I did them for several months before I started this time, to hopefully start a bit stronger.

And they have made a huge difference! Every time I feel an emotional food response to low carbing, I listen to another cd that night in bed.

The other thing I noticed this time round was the withdrawal. I have never been so sick...headaches, nausea and vomiting. Like an addict coming of their drug. I never want to go there again!

The first week was hard going, but I stuck to it...just consumed waaaaay too much dairy. I noticed my sweet things cravings were down from the last time I did this...
Old 08-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Second week ( and still in retrospect) I had lost just under 1.5kg. I was still sticking to the woe, and feeling good now. Needing to drink alot of water, and still too heavy on the dairy. But it was feeling very easy to stick to.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Third week was last Thursday. ( I plan to update here every Thursday as that is my weigh in day). I had lost three kg since starting ( 6.6lbs), my clothes were feeling looser and my body was starting to change. I was feeling slightly down at the rate of weightloss, but also I am still breast feeding my last kid, and I have a feeling that that will keep me out of ketosis, and my weightloss slower.

I am finding it easy to eat this way this time. Some days are hungry days, others I am very satisfied. I am managing to slowly decrease dairy consumption after doing a few hypno CDs that focused on not eating as much dairy. I have also started having black coffee with cream a few times a week ( not a big coffee drinker usually) as breakfast...and those days I feel really good! But don't think I should be doing that all the time, especially with still feeding.
My partner has noticed a difference in my body and tells me I look well, and some friends have also said my face looks smaller.

Thursday weigh in 93kg. 3kg loss since start.

Last edited by luckymuma; 08-25-2013 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: To record weight loss
Old 08-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

4 weeks in today...and the scales are up 400g. :'( I can't believe it! Have stayed on plan, no cheats at all and I am up not down!

I am mid cycle, a usual bloating time for me, but that is alot of bloat.

Carbs have been under 25g a day. Am feeling really down about that.

I did have a non scale shift in the right direction though

Waist down 10cm
Hips down 4cm
Breasts down 4cm
Thighs down 5cm

But the up on the scal detracts from the down on the measurements
Old 09-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

It's Thursday. Weigh in day. I didn't weight...I couldn't weigh, just couldn't take another week of disappointment. I guess I must be a slow loser? I don't know, but so far it's been less than impressive....I'm also anxious because ice tried to up my fat levels this week...what if fat is making me...fatter? Academically I know it isn't true, but 38years of being told fat=fat...it whispers around alot.....

I know my hands and feet are totally thinner, my legs are also starting to shrink...but my stomach looks the same very discouraging.

Have been totally on plan...and since the increase in fat, my carbs have dropped to below 20 every day I've also been sick, with this nasty full on throat infection thing. Big bowls of home made broth have helped, but to get through, have been taking neurofen, the one without the sugar coating...it's been giving me wicked indigestion!

And then I realise next week is period week.....won't be worth weighing then either :'(

If I wasn't feeling so well, and really enjoying eating this way...I'd be at throwing it all in point right now. Who wants to be on a 'diet' that is not causing weightloss?!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thursday, TOM, didnt weigh....maybe will weigh tomorow as I should have lost all the retained water by then. Still eating higher fat, from the online tracker my fats sit at 71% pretty much every day. Am finding I am eating less protein, and carbs between 15 and 21g per day.

I'm missing fruit! Cutting up a big fruit salad for the kids, I want me some pineapple or passion fruit. Made them smoothies for breakfast and wow, the fresh smells of the fruit. Staying away from fruits atm as I want my carbs to come from vegetables and fats only.

Speaking of vegetables, I have been wanting less and less of them, the 1/2 carrot or 1/3 capsicum every day isn't happening. It's been weird bowel wise...I'm not 'regular' but not constipated either. Waste is less often, and much smaller. Almost zero wind as well!

Clothes still looking looser, and my body is looking the same fat shape, but a smaller version if that makes sense? Hope the shape starts changing soon...especially the belly pouch :/
Old 09-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

A loss! A loss! Woooooooot! Weighed this morning and current weight is 91.1kg (200.42lbs) finally dropping some scale weight...and almost under 200lbs!!!!! So in six weeks I've lost 5.2kg (11.4lbs) not a huge amount, but I'm gonna take it!
Am wondering if the increase in fats and the very low carbs was what shifted the weight...or wether it was just gonna be like that anyway? Regardless, feel GREAT!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
congratulations, thats a good loss for 6 weeks !
makrida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Makrida! I think so!

And I weighed again today..... Another small loss that brings me UNDER 200lbs! today the scales said 90.3kg which is 198.6 it's slow and not very steady...but it's happening! Downward trend! Woot!

7 weeks less of me
Old 09-27-2013, 04:58 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Another tiny loss...and another big milestone.... On Thursday scales said 89.8kg...I've gone under 90kg! and that was following a slip up last weekend!

My body still looks fat and frumpy, my mummy apron looks bigger if possible.... Took my 10year old clothes shopping today, she is tiny! Looks good in anything...I didn't even other looking for myself...no point as I am still in my fat blob clothes..... Really want to see some body changes
Old 10-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

And now we have those body changes! I am a shrinking version of my fat self! Lik I am exactly the same flabby shape....but smaller! My jeans today are saggy in the butt and my lower gut is so much smaller!

Have started walking, just 15mins as that's all I can get the kids to do...but I am carrying the 12kg baby on my back so I think of it more like army walking with a loaded pack lol

Scale weight was up 200g today....but I am just assuming it is perhaps muscle mass increase as I have been stuck on plan....also comming up to a period next week, so it could be the start of that gain....but I look visibly smaller, so those 200g mean nothing!

My partner has kind of joined me. She has a history of diabetes in her family, grandmother died of complications quite young, father is a new diagnosed type 2 diabetic and hyper thyroid....I have read enough to know his thyroid is out due to the diabetic state....she went to the doctor and had the 40+ blood work done, and it all came back perfect, but she was feeling really unwell first thing in the morning......so she has totally cut out grains and any kind of natural sweetners. She isn't totally low carbing, but her carbs sit at 60g a day. She is also eating alot more raw foods. Biggest issue is she can't eat dairy much, so her fat grams are generally lower. But she is feeling much better....she had dosas with the kids the other night, and woke up feeling shakey and vomity. Looks like grains are not her friend she has lost weight already and has bags more energy!
Old 10-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Really struggling with all of this. Staying on plan basically 100%, no cheating at all...but the slow loss is really getting me down so very much. Also I think my body is struggling with excess oestrogen being released from the fat I am losing. Have just finished a period, and it was one of the worst I have had in a very long time, all the symptoms were oestrogen excess symptoms, bloating, severe depression, fluid retention, heavy cramps bleed....just awful. It has taken me till my bleed actually finished ( a week) for all the symptoms to go away.
Scale weight today 88.9kgs. So another small loss, but I have no idea where it's being lost from because my body looks exactly the same despite measurements being smaller, and I haven't even gone down a whole size despite losing 8kgs (16lbs)

Thighs total loss 12cm
Hips total loss 11cm
Waist total loss 11cm
Breasts total loss 5cm
Upper arms total loss 4cm

Six weeks ago these were my measurement losses

Waist down 10cm
Hips down 4cm
Breasts down 4cm
Thighs down 5cm
Upper arms down 4cm

If I didn't feel so healthy eating this way, I'd be very tempted to just throw in the towel!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Weighed today..... 87.4kg ( 192.6 lbs)...yay! Almost halfway there!!!!

Am on a magnesium supplement and took a whole range of tissue salts to help with the massive fluid retentions of ovulation.

Weightloss aside, I'm incredibly stressed out at the moment. There are huge bush fires in my area, closest fire is 15mims from my house. We are fine where we are, but on alert to flee....tomorow is forecast for weather deterioration, and a storm is forecast for today...bush is very dry :/ I am staying totally on plan, but am concerned if we evacuate I will have no easy source if healthy low carb food. I have packed food for my families needs ( many intolerances! ) but there are no shelf stable good sources of protein and fat that would work for me...I have bought in loads of eggs though...and I guess if it comes down to it....I live on eggs for a few days...and ghee?? But it's not come down to that, and likely won't affect us where we are...I hope......

Last edited by luckymuma; 10-21-2013 at 05:08 PM..
Old 10-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

So....the weather deteriorated, the media hyped up the apocalyptical fires that would destroy the mountains, social media was full of judgemental panic.....we ummed and ahhed and when the mid day flares hit, we evacuated...took four chooks, two cats, one dog and three kids to go stay withour childless friends in the suburbs. All the vets were offering free kenneling to vaxed animals, so we dropped the dog there, the cats went in our friends garage ( one escaped, but was found) and the chooks in their run ( one took roost on their hills hoist washing line!)....and it was all good. We took our own food...and went home the next day! We proved to ourselves that we can evac if needed, and the kids were freaking awesome!

Weight loss.....? I haven't weighed as I am comming up to my period, and KNOW I will have excess water, so just not bothering on the NSV front.....I have shrunk enough for one of my fat tops to be stupidly loose on me! It's gone in the charity pile for victims of the fires ( a whole community, over 200 houses, lost everything!)....and I look smaller....still the same shape which is disturbing to me....but totally smaller!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
You have made great progress. Stop being so hard on yourself! Your body shape unfortunately is your body shape. That won't change without some form of workout..ie weights or toning exercises. I have the dreaded pear shape which I so hate. Even though I am losing weight, my shape stays and the weight comes off mostly from the top and not the hips where it should.

But you are getting good results and that is what counts. A better, healthier You.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Thanks mjgh06 I read once that you won't look like a super model after you have kids if you didn't look like one before hand...I need to remember that hahahahaha!

Weighed again today 87.1kg (192 lbs )....... Kill me now! 300g loss in two weeks. I haven't gone off plan once, I like NEVER cheat. Am actually having a period at the moment...but feel I've lost all the water I normally carry at this time of the month. Have been doing this way of eating now for three months and have lost now not quite 10kg. It is a loss for sure, but it's so awfully slow. I like eating this way because I don't feel like I'm starving myself to get healthy and drop weight......but the loss is so incredibly slow I'm having thoughts about cutting fats, cutting calories and doing the old fashioned starvation method just to get some results.

So awfully disheartened

Last edited by luckymuma; 11-04-2013 at 05:16 PM..
Old 11-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Haven't weighed because I'm coming up to ovulation, typically a time of water retention for me.

We had so e friends stay at the weekend, they stayed Sun to Wed...it was utter chaos...their 4 kids joined my three...we had 12 people in our small 3 bed house....and it rained torrentially till Tuesday arvo........ But I stayed on plan. Had a glass of wine, and the occasional vodka.

Did get VERY constipated, which was awful, but took a whole lot of magnesium and that seems to have helped.

Visually I am still shrinking....incredibly slowly. Need to hold on to the fact that this journey takes time...I'm not gonna shrink over night.....
Old 12-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Weighed this morning... Down to 84.4kg (186 lbs) which is 3kg less in a month. Slow slow slow but steady!

My body is still shrinking and changing. Haven't cheated or gone off plan...just plodding along. Would have loved to get to 80kg by Xmas....but that ain't gonna happen.

I read on a post that you've got six months to lose, then it all plateaus out....that actually has me feeling quite panicked....six months won't get me to goal....at all......I don't wanna be fat forever!
Old 12-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Mid cycle weigh in, I feel like I'm carrying water weight...but still down to 83.3kg! Woot!

My brother is comming as usual for Xmas, he comes every year, works accross the other side of the country. I am starting to feel anxious, explosive, the need to binge eat. I have in some slightly off plan but not hideous items if such needs arise over Xmas, and I know I won't be eating to plan as we have cold Xmas lunch ( prawns , crab, smoked oysters etc) and they are NOT low carb in a strict sense. But there will be cheese...so I hope to fill up on that.... Another concern is the alcohol. Since low carbing, I get quite 'merry' after one glass of vodka and carb free mineral water with flavour. My brother is a big drinker...and expects us to keep up...or atleast join him....I'm not sure I can keep up any more lol

Finally there is my mother. My brother and I both have a really bad relationship with her...she is one of the reasons I am fat...serious! She triggers over eating like nothing else. I have managed to work through many of the other triggers I have around over eating and binge eating, but my mother....geez....don't know how to fix that one. We've managed to have her come on Boxing Day....so she can't wreck Xmas day...but my brother will be drunk all day, avoid any issues that come up, she will treat me like **** because her son is home ( normally I am in favour because I live in the same state as her and speak to her semi regularly)...she has a very unhealthy low fat dieting approach to food, has kittens when she sees me add cream or butter to my hot drinks now heeheehee ... Ugh.

So I have some naturally smoked almonds, sugar free chocolate ( haven't had any chocolate in MONTHS), extra salami and lots of cheese to try and stay vaguely 'on plan' even if I binge......am also taking rescue remedy to help that calm my nerves :/

Atleast I am starting this Xmas period a kilo ( 2.2lbs) less than a few weeks ago!
Old 12-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Survived Xmas the actual day was the best one in years, very chilled and mellow. My mum came on Boxing Day and it was awkward and unpleasant.....

I did eat what ever low carb foods I wanted in terms of seafood, Xmas eggs ( which aren't thaaaaat low carb, but not too bad) about four squares of chocolate, and quite a few nuts...but that's it.

Weighed today, am up 1.1 kg ( just over 2.2 lbs)... But today was back on track perfectly.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Weighed today after three day high fat very low protein fast...and I'm down to 81.2kg (178.6 lbs )......so ver very close to being under 80kgs!!!! How exciting!

But the fat fast wasn't for me...my tummy is so upset...gah...I did feel good while eating that way though...hmmmmm

I've been really struggling with having to eat like this forever. I was out with my eldest today...just her and I...and she wanted us to go for Indian for lunch...it smelt so good...but reality is...everything there was too high carb for me this is starting to feel like a prison sentence.....

Last edited by luckymuma; 01-09-2014 at 12:03 AM..
Old 01-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Weighed this morning.... 80.1kg........argh! Almost very nearly under 80kg! Come on body lol that .1kg could be nothing more than maybe like a bowel movement I'm thinking...when I hopped on the scales...for a tantalising few seconds they sat at 79.9kg....but then stabilised at 80.1kg oh well. And very little chance it is water retention as I am d4 TOM when all has settled for me.

Otherwise, have dropped my fat...just a little and increased my cheese consumption to compensate for the pure fat drop...still having abdominal discomfort though with every meal...but I'm not racing to the loo like after the fat fast.

Back to term starting here, so homeschooling the kids again and all back on track in all aspects of my life it seems. Only 6 more kg till I hit my goal!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Under 80kg! Significantly under 80kg!!! Weighed today d2 TOM and still retaining water a little I think and I was 78.2kg ( 172lbs). Feel freaking awesome because I KNOW I haven't been as on plan as I would have liked this month. Lots of stress and low carb chocolate eating, and we went interstate for a week, so I had milk in my coffee and two meals which were very carby purely because of the sugar ( Thai food, no rice or noodles, but crazy sweet). So I haven't been in ketosis the whole time...and tbh, it doesn't feel good to be out of ketosis. Who knew I would find ketosis so enjoyable lol...or maybe it's just that my body does so well on low carb foods it feels good more than bad?

I'm 4kg off the goal I initially set myself. I think that goal was maybe too high? I still am losing weight very easily, and looking at my body, it still looks overweight. I am slowly coming to term with the fact that I will most likely always have a significant lower abdomen. Surgery isn't an option. But I know I am not at my set point for weight loss, nor am I close....wonder what my bodies idea of ideal weight is? Exciting concept.

But today, today I am doing some still wobbly happy dance that I have broken through 80kg and I have lost a significant amount of weight so far. Go me!!!