Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lemonmama
Stats: 5'7" size 14/sz 10-12/sz 6-8
WOE: HHCG, Round 500 (it feels like it anyway)
Start Date: Feb 2011
HCG: Seeing It Through P2 and Beyond

I'm loading this weekend and gearing up for a round of HCG. I use Homeopathic pellets. I used HHCG to drop 30 pounds in 2011, but I've been slowly, slowly gaining back bits. A little here a little there, and I have to put a stop to it!

It has nothing to do when HCG messing with my metabolism and EVERYTHING to do with me eating pure crap. I've just totally lost control.

I had it all together on HCG. Felt really, really good, eliminated processed junk, got my hormones balanced out (went from having 14-day periods to 5-7 day periods...amazing in itself), skin cleared up, stopped emotional eating....I just felt GOOD in my skin. Got down to a size 6 and was in HEAVEN.

Now, I'm in some 10s/some 12s...not quite back to the size 14 I started this journey in, BUT undoubtedly on my way there if I don't make a big change fast!

So. This is for real. I'm doing it. I'm committed. My head's in the game. But I know I need a lot of support. PLEASE, feel free to jump in here and join me. Post your menus. Vent about emotions that are surfacing when you deny yourself the junk you want to eat. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

I know a consistent, dependable online support group I discovered on another forum was SO integral to my success in 2011, and I would love to have that again, so if that interests you, please post here.

My VLCD 1 Starts Sunday, 8-25!
lemonmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
I'm with ya! I have attempted HCG several times and just can't/don't stick with it. I read your post on the HCG board and related to the 'crazy emotions' that you experience while on protocol and I think that is what I have to get past to make this work for me. I'm giving it one last shot and hoping to use this not only for weight loss (I have sadly gained a ton in the last year) but to balance out my whacked out hormones. So if journaling/chatting/etc. is helpful---I'm in.

VLCD 1 for me today. Hope you enjoy your last day of loading!
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Teresa!! Thanks for your post. I was so happy to see it this morning.

Yes, as an emotional eater and someone who recovered from eating disorders several years ago, I find that when I take away the "comfort" of food, a whole bunch of emotions come to the surface. And it is very hard to handle. I'm embarrassed to say that when I first did the protocol, I even started smoking for a while to take the edge off of the emotions I was experience. I no longer allow myself to do that, but I know I'm going to have to find a healthy way to cope as I start the protocol!

So are you a perfectly-on-protocol kind of P2er? I was pretty strict the first two weeks of my first round, but then started adding coconut oil in the last two weeks. Otherwise, I do a few roguish things like continue to use the same moisturizers. I don't think it really impedes my losses.

Do you know how long you plan to do it this time? I'm just shooing for 21 days at this point, and we'll see how I feel when I get there!

Thanks again for the note. Have a great VLCD 1!
Old 08-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Let's find some healthy ways to cope together!!

I won't be following Simeon's protocol as far as food goes. I've tried that before and it sets off all kinds of restriction/binging kind of thoughts and actions for me. I like almost nothing that is on his food list and a lot of it doesn't 'agree' with me so yeah....been there, done that and not planning to try it again! I will stay within the basic boundaries as far as the macro nutrients are concerned, but that's about it. Coconut oil has never held any 'magic' for me as far as weight loss, energy, etc. so I doubt I'll use any, but I'm sure I'll use a spritz or two of olive oil on roasted veggies and that kind of thing. I'll use all the same moisturizers, lotions, etc. as well. Have tried it both ways and see no difference.

As far as how long---well I would love to do 30 days. I feel like I need that long to get my head back on straight and to develop/redevelop some healthy habits and thinking. Reality is---I just need to make it past a week---because anywhere between 3 and 7 days is when I fall apart! So looks like it's just a 1 day at a time kind of thing for me and if I make it past a week, then I'll shoot for the 30 days or as long as my mind and body will tolerate it.

Going to go work on a menu for the week. I definitely do better if I have everything I need and if most of it is pre-cooked/prepped. Do you preplan menus/meals for the week?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Hey Teresa...I agree! I actually think just having a place to express things rather than stuffing emotions is going to help me quite a bit. IN the past, reading success stories and looking at before/after pictures also helped me to keep my focus when my emotions were running crazy and I was just CERTAIN a scoop of peanut butter would make it all better. Ha!

I'm not really a protocol-stickler either. I would love to see some of your menus, whether it is before or after the fact. I'm always curious about what other people are eating. My first round I ate plain chicken and cucumbers and the occasional P2 chili and in subsequent rounds (only one successful after that...the rest were flops!), I just couldn't stomach the plain-jane food anymore, so I did more with salsa, combining veggies, soups, cooking things in coconut oil, and even Eziekiel bread once a day ....as long as I kept it around 800 calories or less I was losing. I lost just as well in my 2nd round in which I was rogue as I did being perfectly on protocol.

3-7 days is where I fall apart, so maybe this thing will work for us. Heck, let's just go with positivity and say it WILL work for us. Day 3 to 7 better just watch out, because we will not fall for the cravings!

How did VLCD go for you today? I'm feeling ready to get onto VLCD now. I feel gross and just ready to feel lighter and "cleaner" again. I also am really looking forward to the skin benefits I get with this. My skin has been a mess lately!

I don't really have a menu going yet, but I'll probably try to come up with one early this week. For tomorrow, it's looking like:

--Breakfast: Ezekiel toast with a teeny bit of coconut oil and cinnamon, coffee
--Lunch: Cottage cheese with tomatoes from my garden (they are finally ready!)
--Dinner: Either lean pot roast and baked radishes or something chicken curry (chicken, coconut milk, curry).
--Snacks: protein shake, apple
Old 08-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning and welcome to day 1!

My day 1 went just fine---other than the cravings and mind games it was very easy, thankfully! I gained 6 lbs loading and lost 4.4 so not too shabby.

Ohhh, I never thought about using coconut milk, have you done that successfully before? I think that could open up a lot of possibilities!

I keep going back and forth on my menu. I'm trying to keep it relatively simple but then I remember that that is probably some of the reason I have a problem sticking to this---I need to vary it a bit and make it at least somewhat enjoyable. I will include fat free Greek Yogurt, sprouted bread and various low carb veggies and fruits. I'm thinking about adding in pureed pumpkin (with lots of cinnamon and other 'warm' spices) in place of fruit for some meals and I will definitely be adding in some winter squash like butternut or acorn. I have a major problem with ketosis---it doesn't agree with me at all so if I can add in some healthier carbs like that I'm hoping I can manage to not get too deep into ketosis. I'm also thinking about using quinoa as a protein source...but I'll wait a bit for that. I like the idea of giving myself up to 700-800 cals---that also opens up a lot more options, including breakfast if needed. OK---so back to the drawing board on the menu!

At this point my plan for today is:

L: smoothie---Greek yogurt with strawberries and spinach and a hard boiled egg (the egg will not be in the smoothie! )
D: steak on the grill , green beans with a few chunks of butternut squash (also on the grill) and NSA applesauce w/cinnamon

I drink tons of hot tea throughout the day (on HCG or not) and a pretty good amount of water but I think I need to get better at that.

So what do you think we can do about this day 3-7 situation? I know I need to be on guard on those days but I'm trying to think about how to 'get out in front of it' so I can just sail right through.....not sure exactly how to do that though! With my past failures on those days, I didn't even see it coming. Thought everything was fine, the day was going great and then....not great! I wish I were a 'sleeper' as I would just take vacation from work and sleep right through those days!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:18 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning Lemonmama---how did day 1 go? Day 2 went fine for me....now on to day 3.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Hey there! Sorry I left you hanging!! How is DAY THREE going? Ahhhh, you got this!! I've been having some crazy busy times the last few days. The last week of the month for me is brutal with my job. I get in the zone and all else goes by the way-side. Things are going well. I immediately feel better when I start eating better! I'm not going to weigh for a few days. I like to not get too hung up on the scale. Due to my history of eating disorders, it can become an obsession, and I just don't like to get in that mindset, you know? Instead, I weigh more like once per week. It helps with the insanity of the up .2 down .5 thing. Ha!

So do you find that a certain time of day is most difficult for you to stick to your plan? Are there certain triggers? For me, it is definitely from when the kids get home from school through dinnertime. I get stressed and frazzled and hungry, and if I don't make sure I feed myself a portion of something first, either before or as I am making their plates, I start to eat their food!! It never fails. So in my successful round, I learned to make my food a priority, making sure I had it ready and available FIRST, and then got their food ready!

Getting the kitchen cleaned up from dinner now, but I thought I would check in really quickly because I know this is the beginning of the challenging days for you! Keep me posted.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Afternoons are just hard for me. I do fine with P2 all day long until about 3:30. My kids come home from school hungry, fighting, I'm trying to fix dinner, husband is home, exhausted, stressed from work, just generally annoying me, because that's how it is...I'm frustrated because my day working at home wasn't as productive as I had hoped it would be and I HATE cooking dinner. It's just a recipe for emotional eating disaster.

I'm trying to plan ahead by not letting myself get too hungry around that time. I just had an apple, and I'm getting ready to take my dose of pellets in about 15 minutes...hopefully, that will keep me on track.

I didn't get enough sleep last night and that's impacting things too. I really need to get to bed earlier tonight...the last week of the month is crunch-time in my business, so it's hard to force myself into bed early, but I need to get to bed before midnight. I haven't done that in over a week!

Didn't weigh today, but I still feel chubby. Ha! I just want the excess weight gone now. I have to stay focused. I know it doesn't happen overnight.

Sorry...not very encouraging today, but I want to keep it real, because it helps me in some strange way to do better in P2.

How was your day?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Oh and today's menu:

Breakfast; black coffee

Lunch: Ezekiel bread, Laughing Cow light Cheese, 1 Egg, Homemade Salsa, Cucumbers

Snack: Apple, Iced Coffee with splash of half and half

Dinner: Rotisserie Chicken, maybe more salsa and cucumbers
Old 08-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Yay, glad you're back! Don't worry about being encouraging or not---just let it all out!!

Yesterday, day 3, went well. A little less head hunger but more real hunger. Today both head hunger and real hunger were better, not great by any means but very doable.

I'm not sure on times of days that are harder...it varies. In the mornings I tend to have more real hunger and I suspect that's because I am typically a big breakfast eater. Yesterday I had a hb egg mid morning but that seemed to make me more hungry so today I toughed it out and the hunger went away. At night, from the time I finish dinner until bed time I go back and forth with feeling satisfied to being hungry. I just try to drink a lot of hot tea and/or water and remind myself it will be better in a few days. Interestingly if I'm going to go off plan hunger seems to have very little to do with it.

It sounds like one of your triggers is stress---and I'm realizing that is a big one for me! There are some types of stress that I thrive on, and others where I feel defeated and just want to throw in the towel....that's when the munchies monster gets ahold of me. Work has been a lot of the 'defeated' type of stress for the last year or so, so often my overeating and eating unhealthy stuff happens there---and I'm surrounded by lots of junk food. I'm just trying to do a lot of positive self talk and distraction kinds of things to get through. I just started taking a supplement called Stress Stop that has GABA and some other amino acids in it and that has been helpful.

My menu today
L---hb egg, strawberry/spinach frozen smoothie, Greek yogurt and a low calorie chocolate OMM. Found the recipe on this site but it's pretty gross in my opinion! I topped it with my Greek yogurt so that made it edible. I think I will play around with that recipe this weekend and see if I can come up with something I like better
D---steak, broccoli with white queso sauce and nsa applesauce with cinnamon
Old 08-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Hey there, Teresa. I'm glad your days are going pretty well....hopefully the hunger will be totally gone soon. I know it is usually Day 6-7 for me when the hunger leaves. I look forward to that!

I agree that stress is a trigger for me. I actually also take a natural anti-stress supplement that has done WONDERS for stress and my mood in general, but I ran out 2 weeks ago, and I've been a mess. I didn't even realize how much it was helping until I ran out. My new shipment is supposed to be in today or tomorrow, and I'm eagerly awaiting it. I actually discovered it post-P2, so I'm interested to see if it helps at all during P2.

So I'm totally intrigued by your menu. Are you sticking with low fat or just low calorie? What kind of Greek yogurt do you get? I love GY, but can't stand the 0%, fat free stuff. Also, tell me more about this white queso sauce!! I'm thinking I like your menu much better than mine.

How have your losses been so far? Are you sticking to 500 or going closer to 800?

Lots of questions. I'm just love to learn how others tweak thing so that it works for them.

Have a great night!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Can I ask what supplement you take? I'm always up for looking into and trying new supplements!

I'm sticking with low fat, but not totally fat free--just enough fat to keep me from being miserable! OK---I just started to write a novel on my belief about why this protocol works and that I don't think fat plays any role in it not working but decided I better not bore you with my theories on all this! My calories have been around 600 per day and grams of fat probably 10-15. In 3 VLCD's I have lost 9.2 however 6 of that was loading. The couple of times I have attempted this the Simeon's way I have lost 7 or 8 lbs the first 3 days...and I have also always gained more loading than I did this time so this appears to be working fine....so far!

For Greek yogurt I do use the fat free. I prefer 2% but if I flavor the ff up well with lots of sweetened berries or other things I love it. The white queso sauce I discovered a few weeks ago when I was reading about the potato hack---it's something some of them were using on their potatoes that doesn't add much fat or protein---and I thought---perfect for HCG! The one I got has 35 cals in 2T and 2.5 grams of fat---and 2T was plenty to make the broccoli very tasty!

Feel free to ask any questions that you want. I'm doing this totally different than past attempts and really just trying to find a way to stay on board for a whole round and like I said, get my head on straight (and hopefully my hormones leveled out). A restrictive diet would seem to be the last thing I should do---and maybe it is---but I feel like the hormonal benefits from this could really help me in so many ways---so I'm giving it another shot and hoping for the best!

Hope you have a great night too!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning! Down 1.2 today for a total of 10.4. I suspect this will be the end of the quick losses, but that's OK (remind me I said that later!).

Unfortunately ketosis has hit hard. I tested this morning and it was moderate--I would have thought higher. I feel weird/sick/spacey/etc. in ketosis and I don't sleep, so I'm going to need to figure out a way to drop the level down without going totally crazy with carbs. I have a hard time maintaining any kind of sanity in ketosis which I suspect is why 3-7 days on any type of plan is usually where I fall apart. I didn't have time to bring anything different for lunch today but I'll have to come up with a plan for dinner. One way or another I'm going to make this work!

So how did day 3 go for you and how are you doing today?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning---how's it going? Are you getting all the month end work done?

My attempt at more carbs last night did not help the ketosis issue at all--only slept about 2 hours and it wasn't even a good sleep. Luckily after today I'm off for 4 days so that gives me some time to come up with a plan...

On a positive note, I was surprised to be down 1 lb this morning, figured it would majorly taper off by now and maybe even be up with the no sleep deal. Hunger, both head and actual, continues to gradually get better. I was considering changing my dose but think I'll give it a couple more days.

Hope you had a good day 4!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Teresa--I just wanted to come back and say I am SO SORRY for flaking out on you. I had a family crisis and everything diet related went out the window completely, and I just lost all thought of this entire process and forum. I'm so sorry!!

How did it end up for you with the round? I hope it went well! I'm giving it another go and will probably post here.

Again, so sorry I dropped the ball!
Old 10-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Ahhh, things happen, I understand. I hope everything is OK now. I made it to day 9 I think and then of course same ole same ole. I've decided I need to just lose it the way I did in the first place as hcg just seems to send me into a tailspin. But---I will definitely come and root you on!!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

So are you doing strictly low-carb? I wish I could lose with it, but it seems like I have to keep my calories SO low to make it work.

Thanks for understanding! I think I finally have my head in the game. I just have to make myself a priority when I am on P2 and that is SO hard for me for some reason. But I'm very committed to make it work this time, because we have family pictures on November 2, and that gives me almost 3 weeks to get where I want to be. If I could get down 10-15 pounds, I would be much happier and more comfortable with pictures.

VLCD 1 is tomorrow, because I didn't have time to really load over the weekend, so I'm doing a one-day load today.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm doing fairly low carb---like around 50 net as that is where I lost the majority of my weight to begin with. I've had troubles with losing on low carb for the last couple of years but I'm heavy enough now that I suspect I can lose 10 lbs this first month if I stick with it. After that it will slow down I'm sure but if I can keep losing slowly with it, that's OK. If it comes to a halt I'll have to reassess.

If I ever do HCG again I think it will have to be after a long period of being pretty stable with my eating and I actually don't think I would ever do the real stuff or even the homeopathic stuff again---it just seems to not be right for my chemistry. I would probably just do the non-hormonal kind with a moderately low carb low calorie plan....but again, not until I've been stable for awhile and only if nothing else works!

Having your head in the game is definitely a must! 3 weeks should get you the 15 lbs you're hoping for, but I bet the pictures will be great regardless. Years from now when your kids are looking at old pictures they won't care what you weighed. But I definitely understand the desire to look and feel better.

Have 'fun' loading---eat lots of yummy fats! Hope you have a fantastic round---like I said, I'll be here to cheer you on!!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

It sounds like you have a good plan in place! I hope it goes really well for you this month and you lose the 10 pounds!

You are totally right about my kids not caring about how I look in the pictures! It's just MY vanity that is concerned. LOL.

So VLCD 1 today. I am going a bit rogue (as usual). Coffee for breakfast, egg with laughing cow cheese and kale for lunch. Curry grilled chicken and broccoli with a spinach salad for dinner. May throw in a protein shake made with almond milk if I get hungry somewhere in there.

I discovered that Instagram is a great place to research P2 recipes, especially from people who are going rogue with it. I found this one woman who has had phenomenal success using the same drops I'm using (HCG1234) and she is pretty rouge with her food. She posted on salad dressing/sauce idea that I fully intend to replicate. It was using low-fat cottage cheese and various seasonings (like a package of ranch powder) and blending it all together to make a dressing. I also purchased the Bolthouse blue cheese dressing that is low fat, low cal. I am SUCH a condiments person and having dry chicken and salad is the hardest thing for me, so I'm hoping these little additions will help.

I didn't weigh today because my scale isn't working. i don't know what that's all about, but I'm probably not going to buy another one. Maybe I'll just go by inches this time.....
Old 10-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Hope day 1 has gone well! HCG1234 is the one I was considering if I ever do this again. I like that it doesn't have the hormone in it....although honestly the whole hormone thing confuses me because no matter what form, HCG is just a bunch of aminos---just seems to be different amounts and concentrations in the different types and formulas. Anyway---somehow the HCG1234 seems like a safer concept to me. How does it work for you as far as hunger and energy? Is it what you've always used?

Nice find on the recipes! Going by inches will be interesting and probably a much smarter approach than the scale. Maybe just get out a tight pair of jeans and a snug shirt and try them on every weekend?
Old 10-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Day 1 was good! So far, so good with HCG1234. Hunger is no biggie and energy is good. I just have head hunger, so I'm not sure what can cure that! I still have to make yummy meals for the family, and that's pretty challenging...for example, I'm making banana bread right now!! I think I've lost my mind.

But I'm holding tight and moving forward. I feel like I have an angel-devil thing going on in my head at all times during this diet. One voice says, "Oh, just enjoy life...forget about the extra pounds already!" The other voice says, "Oh. NO. You are not going down that path again." I know it will get easier as I get past this first week. Just need to stay busy and keep my mind off of food!

I think what you wrote about finding jeans and a shirt to gauge loss is a good idea.

How's it going for you? Do you weigh daily, or not focus as much on the scale?
Old 10-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Oh, and I have actually never used these drops before. In the past, I used eHCG and Intermountain pellets. I've always had pretty good luck with them. It's just my HEAD that is problematic! ;-)
Old 10-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

So how is it going so far?? I know this is right around the trouble time we talked about---hope it is all going well! I'm interested in what you think about the new drops.

I do weigh daily, which sometimes I think is a good idea for me, sometimes I'm not too sure! Low carb is going fine but somewhat bored already. Not sure if it's exactly bored...and not exactly craving anything...but still just struggling with what to make, what sounds good, etc. But I'll get through it and start adding some more carbs back in another week or two.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

It's going well, Teresa! I'm not weighing daily, but as of last weigh-in I was down 6 pounds, which is about the norm for me at that point (6 days in).

I'm being very rogue, so it's a wonder I'm losing!

I really like the drops. I haven't been hungry and my energy is good, although when it is nighttime I am good and ready to sleep. But during the day my energy is really good!

Have you tried Pinterest for low-carb food ideas? I have had a lot of luck getting a menu planned when I go there. I know there is a little trial and error involved, but trying some creative recipes helps with the boredom...at least for me!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Good grief, it's time to give this a serious effort again. I just couldn't get my head or heart into the game last fall, but the time is NOW. I don't give up, so HERE. WE. GO.

I know when I've done this in the past, keeping track of my menus on some forum or blog makes a big difference, so that's my plan for this journal.

I may also use this as a venting-journal. Who knows....whatever it takes to stick with P2 and achieve my goal, which at this moment is to get back into my favorite jeans without feeling like a stuffed sausage!

I *should* be able to get there in a short-round, but I may take it longer and go for 40 days to get to a nice summer-shorts/swimsuit weight....we shall see!

Tomorrow, P2 D1 Menu Plan (Yeah, I'm a little rogue):

B: Protein Shake
L: Tuna + Celery + Apple
D: P2 Chili