Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Day 42 - goal 172.8, actual 172.8 - MD

Current goals are 1.5 pounds a week that I track by 0.2-0.3 pound increments. This is partially to ensure that I'm eating enough. Losing 2 pounds a week goes into the potential territory of losing muscle mass - or dehydration. Over time, I'm stepping down the projected weekly losses as I have less and less fat stores to draw on. We'll see how it works IRL, maybe I'm naive.

Hmm. I was expecting - and even hoping - to weigh higher this a.m. It was one of those 1/3-pounder burgers after all. And I still feel like I have a burger baby in my tummy. I'll shoot for about 7-800 (intuitive eating to appetite) today doing carbohydrate cycling (eat low carb through the day and have dinner be higher carb - maybe 30 g or so, nothing crazy).

Breakfast - 10% cream in coffee
Lunch - roast chicken + salad
Snack - greek yogurt + roadside lemonade PP + frozen blueberries + cucumber or tomatoes
Dinner - shrimp alfredo w/lots of broccoli (need to use up that 1.36 kg bag!)
Wine as required. Well, one 4 oz glass anyway.

The PP that I use for the greek yogurt is denatured and that's why it mixes so well and without clumps right away. Although it seems to be a little less granular if you let it rest for a couple of hours in the fridge.

Something that concerns me is that sometimes we can stop listening to our bodies in the desire to stick to a certain protocol. For women especially, hormonal issues are the canary in the coal mine of "you're doing something wrong for your body". Back when I used to follow the Caloric Restriction group, you'd see loads of 20-30 year old women losing their TOM. It happened to me too when I got down to 115. Men would have their testosterone drop so much that their libidos would be gone. But they'd still keep plugging along with their WOE for longevity purposes. Many people would have general signs of frailty - like underdeveloped bones - which they'd ignore. Great, you'll live to 120 but be in a wheelchair because your bones snap crackle pop like rice krispies.

Walford himself looked in great shape around the time of the biosphere experiment and then turned into a walking anatomy chart later on. And died of ALS anyway at 79. Although he did attribute it to the biosphere oxygen problems years earlier (I don't think anyone else that did the experiment had that problem). Apparently CR accelerates ALS and a more hypocaloric & ketogenic diet retards it. Talk about self-experimentation gone wrong.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Day 42 - goal 172.8, actual 172.8 - MD

Current goals are 1.5 pounds a week that I track by 0.2-0.3 pound increments. This is partially to ensure that I'm eating enough. Losing 2 pounds a week goes into the potential territory of losing muscle mass - or dehydration. Over time, I'm stepping down the projected weekly losses as I have less and less fat stores to draw on. We'll see how it works IRL, maybe I'm naive.

Hmm. I was expecting - and even hoping - to weigh higher this a.m. It was one of those 1/3-pounder burgers after all. And I still feel like I have a burger baby in my tummy. I'll shoot for about 7-800 (intuitive eating to appetite) today doing carbohydrate cycling (eat lower carb through the day and have dinner be higher carb).

Something that concerns me is that sometimes we can stop listening to our bodies in the desire to stick to a certain protocol. For women especially, hormonal issues are the canary in the coal mine of "you're doing something wrong for your body". Back when I used to follow the Caloric Restriction group, you'd see loads of 20-30 year old women losing their TOM. It happened to me too when I got down to 115. Men would have their testosterone drop so much that their libidos would be gone. But they'd still keep plugging along with their WOE for longevity purposes. Many people would have general signs of frailty - like underdeveloped bones - which they'd ignore. Great, you'll live to 120 but be in a wheelchair because your bones snap crackle pop like rice krispies.

Walford himself looked in great shape around the time of the biosphere experiment and then turned into a walking anatomy chart later on. And died of ALS anyway at 79. Although he did attribute it to the biosphere oxygen problems years earlier (I don't think anyone else that did the experiment had that problem). Apparently CR accelerates ALS and a more hypocaloric & ketogenic diet retards it. Talk about self-experimentation gone wrong.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Day 42 - 174 night weight after moderate day

Came out to about 900 calories today I think.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure if it's appetite suppression from ketosis that's my problem or TOM issues. I have a strange desire to listen to Sarah Mclauchlan, Sinead O'Connor, country music... and watch Lifetime movies. And... my back hurts... and am feeling *so* bloated. Like there's a bloody baseball in my stomach - in the shape of that darn costco hamburger! This is so completely out of the norm for me. But then I haven't been normal for the last month or two anyway - so what exactly IS normal???

Last edited by jacquelinejolie; 08-24-2013 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Day 43 - goal 172.6, actual 171.0

Average for 6 full weeks is 2 pounds a week and 12.4 in total.

Well. That's a little too quick but it's a little slower than it was in the first couple of weeks. Probably some hormonal mumbo jumbo going on and that's why I felt so bloated yesterday. Lower back still aching, yada yada. 2.6% decrease in body fat in 6 weeks which is lower than I'd hoped but fluid retention can make these kind of scale or measurement numbers wonky. They're certainly not precise. And it doesn't really matter anyway EXCEPT that I have sort of conflicting goals of trying to lose weight and maintain muscle. It's tough.

I was checking out someone's log who's doing RFL over on a BB forum I frequent. She's usually pretty lean and cut (more than I even want to be) and she was packing in 150 g of protein per day and somewhere around 0-20 g fat (more on the low side) / 0-20 g carbs. So about 700 calories. But her concentration curl poundage is lower than my max and so is her leg press poundage. And she's younger and taller - and has easily 20# more LBM than I do? Anyway, obviously I don't have the same goals that she has - she likes having a 6 pack whereas I'd just like to have a flatter stomach.

Big potluck party to go to today out of town with adult beverages. I have to limit myself on the beverage side of course because I have to drive home. Darn, I wish they sold 8 oz bottles of wine here. I might bring light beer because I don't actually like beer so can just sip one for hours. The 32 jeans fit well again w/no muffin top (are gaping a bit at the waist/back and tighter in the junk in the trunk area - why do they make women's jeans like that?)

I'm going to try to see if I can fit the 6 week cure for the middle aged middle into an UD/DD rotation in September. Because I am middle aged - if I live to 96 that is. And I have a middle - that needs a cure.

So... I was thinking that I could have 3 PP shakes (last time I think I had a hard time getting in more than 2 since they're double PP at my weight) and a steak/other higher fat meat and salad/veggies for dinner every down day. Eliminate alcohol entirely for the month and still debating coffee. Maybe a cup a day or something and switch to half caff. That gives me about 80-100 g of protein and ~ 7-800 calories. Downside (or maybe upside) is that whey has a tremendous whoosh effect in that kind of quantity.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Day 44 - goal 172.3, actual 171.6 - high DD today

Shooting for an 800 DD - gotta feed that muscle!

I had a doctor's appointment back in July and she had my thyroid checked (because I'd gained so much in the previous year and all). The results came back normal I guess. I could have told her my thyroid wasn't "broken" or even if it was, that wasn't the reason I'd gained. It was because I was pulling 12 hour days, too tired to even walk the dog when I got home and sometimes ate potato chips for supper. But she didn't ask.

In studies of self-control (Baumeister etc.), they find that people have a certain reserve of discipline that they can pull from and when that's gone, it's gone. In other words, there's only so much you can do before you burn out - on a daily basis. So we get into a stressful work or home environment, our eating habits go to he** in a handbasket and we think that we're dieting failures because we can't stick to something. So we try to cure the symptoms (weight gain), and not the cause (the work or whatever).

At some point, we get utterly disgusted with ourselves and go on a diet. My utter disgust point is somewhere in the 180's. Having to buy a large item of clothing sets off an alarm in my head I guess that says "don't go to large!" I know that it's happening because one of the things I do when shopping for clothes at that weight is to not try anything on in the store and to buy things un-tried on. It's like I don't want to see reality.

The trick for me this time - that I haven't been able to do in many years is to get past my sticking point of 145-150. In the methods I've used before, my weight loss has slowed to a crawl at that point. I suspect that part of the problem for me there is that I actually don't mind how I look at that weight. So I decide to take a maintenance break and then never hop back on the train again. Until the next time.

Yet I'd like to get below 150 again just to see if it's possible, to see if I look okay lower and what weight is sustainable for me these days with having to diet / lightly fast only a couple of days a week. When I've gone off the crazier diet and got down there in the past dozen years, I've easily maintained 145-150 without counting or monitoring anything for months at a time. But restriction was involved for sure - specifically potato chip restriction (can't let those endocannabinoid chemicals that signal you to eat more win! They really are biologically addictive.)

Sometime during the maintenance break, I stop weighing myself and then am afraid and avoid the scale entirely. Like I could ignore it and it would just go away. I don't want to do that anymore. I want to step on. Every. Single. Day. Face reality. And then do what I have to do right away in a day or week before it turns into a monolithic task that I avoid for months or years again. Just like 99% of the human race does. If not with weight, then with something else that's not so visible for all to see.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
JJ--I enjoy all of your posts--you are a thoughtful, honest correspondent
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
JJ--I enjoy all of your posts--you are a thoughtful, honest correspondent
Thanks so much ouizoid! Tend to ramble a bit I'm afraid... Oh well, at least I'm not cluttering up threads on the main board (much) with my muscle-oriented bias. Although it does kind of sneak in there occasionally despite the backspace key...
Old 08-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Get Ripped in 90 Days! (As seen on TV.)

I don't really watch TV and don't have cable, so I never saw the Supreme 90 program advertised on there, but I was browsing at a Big Lots on holiday about 18 months ago and saw it on sale for like $10. Thought "oh what the heck, maybe I'll like their balance ball or Tabata DVD anyway." Only got about 10 days into the program before work picked up like crazy and I quit. But it is actually a really decent weight lifting program and not as long / cardio centric as P90X or Insanity. And the DVD's are a good length - only 30 - 50 minutes or so (including warmups). I kind of want to do it, take a 2 week break and then go over to Cathe Friedrich's STS program in January (which is a killer).

Only problem is that I rearranged the furniture a bit in the house and would need to move my weight bench and various apparatus up from the basement into my office/library where the TV/DVD player is now. Which means sacrificing a chair.

Other problem is I kind of wanted to go back to the gym to train. But I can still go and do legs there (don't have enough poundage/equipment to do at home and lunges give me knee problems) and also M - Butts & guts, W - 20/20/20, F - zumba. They only use girlie weights, if any, so it's not a big deal. Training w/weights at home - in the morning - after an up day would be ok timing. Just have to be sure to eat right after. As in: Eat right. Immediately after.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Fat tumours on my stomach

I saw the most exciting thing this morning. Little bubbles / marbles under the skin of my upper stomach! Squishy butt / panty line syndrome too! Unfortunately the deflating upper stomach area just makes the lower part look worse in comparison. And panty lines never look good. Although I seem to remember all the guys really liking this one girl who had them back in high school. Sigh... I think men actually do like panty lines. On women that is.

The site builtlean has some really neat pictures showing various levels of body fat percentages. The 10-12% BF woman in the picture has tumours on her stomach too. Only hers are muscle tumours.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #40
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
sounds like you are setting up a great workout plan! Keep it up!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Day 45 - goal 172.1, actual 170.2

Well, that's not good and shows the effect of 2 glasses of wine on a DD - and 2 magnesium citrate too. Total dehydration pounds.
The wine last night is because it's my BD today and the magnesium was because I had the brain fart that it would help my back pain when I went to bed so I took two.
Moral of the story is: don't drink on a DD because it hits you like a ton of bricks. Don't take more than one mag on a DD - certainly not right before bed. Oh, and Two Oceans Sauvignon Blanc tastes like crap, don't drink it (although you can't tell after the first glass on a DD).
Think we're going fishing today. I hope we don't catch anything - I don't want to deal with fish guts today.
On a positive note, my back feels better.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
sounds like you are setting up a great workout plan! Keep it up!
Sure hope so Monica, and that I'll have the energy in to do it too.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #43

Today's your BIRTHDAY????

Hope you enjoy! Plus it's an UP DAY! My birthday is next Thursday!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #44

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10

What a great Journal, I have really enjoyed reading it. Thanks Jacqueline.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:02 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Today's your BIRTHDAY????

Hope you enjoy! Plus it's an UP DAY! My birthday is next Thursday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post

What a great Journal, I have really enjoyed reading it. Thanks Jacqueline.
Thanks guys! Happy advance birthday to you too Monica!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Day 46 - goal 171.9, actual 171.8 Hurray for down day!

The stomachs are shrinking around here. The oldest is loosely following my WOE just by virtue of my not cooking quite the same. It was rather astonishing that (1) he didn't eat his second turkey lunch sandwich yesterday and (2) we had T-bones, baked potatoes and cake yesterday and he did NOT go back for another tater. The cake I can see him not liking - we all agreed it was too sweet. And it didn't taste real/right. We agreed that for the DS12's birthday next month that I would bake the cake myself. The little guy just cooks his own food since I'm eating odd things at odd times and he has a crazy high appetite these days.

It's funny (and wonderful really) how when you stay away from processed food for awhile and slow down in your eating that you can taste the chemicals in those foods. So DS25 doing a little experiment of his own and switching from doritos to organic corn chips with spinach dip. He has a hard time stopping with the doritos (inherited from me I guess - the potato chip doesn't fall far from the truck!) but doesn't have a problem with the other. This morning, he fit into a pair of pants that he hasn't been able to wear for awhile. Yay!

The youngest and I tried to go fishing yesterday but it was too boggy so we went hiking at another park close by. Fortunately I had a spare pair of shoes in the car. Played Just Dance last night and did a few duets with the youngest. He gets a better score than I do, but he cheats and mostly moves his hands. I look like a goof I'm sure and over-move. Sometimes incompetence allows you to burn more calories! Needless to say, we didn't attempt him doing the Patrick Swayze lift of Jennifer Grey over his head during Dirty Dancing's "I've had the time of my life."
Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: merryellen
Stats: 180/172/140
Hi JJ,
It is silly because I suspected you were a Lyle McDonald dieter before from your yogurt and PP. That was always my staple on his diets too.

You are doing great!
merryellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Hey MerryEllen! - yes, Lyle's methods and advice have never steered me wrong. Please give me a talking to if you ever see me going under 500 calories a day and/or a good number of protein grams. If I could stick to a PSMF longer than a month again, I'd do it but I'm not in any kind of rush this time and it sort of turns me off of dieting period - although RFL wasn't bad with the free meals etc. It doesn't exactly teach you life-long habits though.

Which one of his did you do? RFL or UD 2.0?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #49

Sounds like this is a family thing for you. that is great
Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Day 47 - goal 171.7, actual 171.2

Icecreamfitness has a great video on youtube on the subject of loose skin during weight loss. Basically, if the average person has loose skin (unless it's really huge amounts of weight lost), it's because there is still fat there and the connective tissue etc. still holds to it and drags it down. But it depends of course on the person to some extent. And age. I'm not particularly concerned about loose skin except that my grandmother lost a considerable amount of weight some time in her 30's or 40's I believe and had quite enormous bat wings. And I have big arms.

Even into her 80's, my grandmother would weigh herself in the morning and take the back of an envelope and diet/count her calories that day if she weighed over her set number (I think it was 130 - she had big bones). That's how she kept off that weight she'd lost for 40-50 years with no yo-yo's at all. Grandma's are pretty wise.

I was decluttering in the garage a couple of weeks ago and found a Psychology Today magazine from the 1990's (not sure how it escaped the big moving purges but am glad it did). They showed the statistics of how often people ate take out at that time compared to previous decades. It was something like once every 10 days in the mid-late 1990's and once every 20-21 days in the 1980's. That seems about right from what I recall since these places just weren't around like they are today. Another book that I read recently examined portion sizes at fast food / restaurants compared to past decades. The increase is positively huge. No wonder we're all gaining weight.

I don't recall people eating at their desks either back in the 80's. Snacking wasn't common and was probably considered weird. Maybe you would eat lunch at your desk if you were making a phone call to a friend, although it's somewhat impolite to talk on the phone while you're eating. Now we all do. Surf the net at lunch time and eat while you do it. Unless you go out to eat one of those massively increased portions of restaurant foods. Or go grab a coffee / latte at Starbucks etc mid-morning (another thing that wasn't available.) Sigh... It's a no-win situation unless you take back control.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Thinking about a re-set

Most muscle-oriented bloggers/muscle-heads do a metabolic re-set after dieting for a certain length of time. The idea behind it is to eat at maintenance calories (or above) usually for a couple of weeks. This helps to regulate leptin levels and help out the hormones etc. The ideal is if you go on vacation and just eat higher and don't work out for a week. Problem is I don't have a vacation planned.

Since I haven't been operating at a huge deficit with this WOE, I was thinking about doing a one week re-set in early-mid October. Then another week at Christmas. Because... it's Christmas. Who wants to think about dieting at Christmas? (Having said that I don't usually gain much, if anything over Christmas anyway - sometimes I lose???)

People freak out so much about a few vacation pounds gained, but generally it's just water and in a couple of weeks it's gone. No biggie. I've lost weight on most vacations I've gone on - due to uber-walking/sports, lots of dancing and sporadic meal times I imagine. Cruises are the best for losing. Unless you have a waiter that's a food pusher - that can really be a pain because you have to fight back against being served 3 lobster entrees that you didn't ask for (this really happened to me).

I suspect it's that there are no potato chips available on cruises. If potato chips aren't involved, I don't overeat. Simple as that.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Day 48 - goal 171.5, actual 171.6

Rats, broke the streak of not eating chips yesterday. It was a small bag so not a terrible thing (it was sort of a terrible thing that I wanted another one, like really wanted it) but I want it to be like when I eliminated my interest in sugar - not fruit but chocolate/cakes/cookies/candy/ice cream. I did that by eating low carb for awhile I guess. Just never went back to them beyond the occasional couple of times a month, mostly home-made. And I was a kid that would suck sugar cubes and raid my Grandma's candy jar every day. Moving to TX a dozen years ago helped - chocolate bars there tasted so nasty compared to chocolate at home. I tried a Krispy Kreme donut once and had to spit it out and throw out the rest, it was just so horribly chemical tasting. But a beignet at Cafe du Monde in New Orleans? Mmmm. We shared a bag every day we were there. My leftover birthday cake is sitting in the fridge and I had a forkful of it yesterday but will have to freeze it I suppose.

Back in the 80's and early 90's I eliminated my interest in potato chips for quite a few years by eating lower fat for so long. Since I don't think that eating saturated fat is *bad* for you like eating too much sugar is, I don't want to go that route. In books and articles that I've read on overeating on trigger foods, most seem to say to make the commitment to never have that food again which makes sense since obviously saturation methods don't work for me.

Maybe chips have to be verboten. But I am going to try making my own this next week since I don't have a problem with roasted potatoes, even with a fair amount of olive oil. That might be what does it - raise my standards / palate and get fussy about potatoes like I'm fussy about desserts.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #53

Quote:
Even into her 80's, my grandmother would weigh herself in the morning and take the back of an envelope and diet/count her calories that day if she weighed over her set number (I think it was 130 - she had big bones). That's how she kept off that weight she'd lost for 40-50 years with no yo-yo's at all. Grandma's are pretty wise.
She sounds like a neat/disciplined lady!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #54

I wish I could eliminate my CHIP interest! I love chips, just about any kind will do too!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: merryellen
Stats: 180/172/140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie View Post
Hey MerryEllen! - yes, Lyle's methods and advice have never steered me wrong. Please give me a talking to if you ever see me going under 500 calories a day and/or a good number of protein grams. If I could stick to a PSMF longer than a month again, I'd do it but I'm not in any kind of rush this time and it sort of turns me off of dieting period - although RFL wasn't bad with the free meals etc. It doesn't exactly teach you life-long habits though.

Which one of his did you do? RFL or UD 2.0?
Oh yes, I used to be very diligent about protein grams. I need to keep better track again.
I did UD 2.0, Flexible Dieting, and RFL. RFL was my fav, but I am just not that hardcore anymore.

About the metabolic reset, I think that is a good idea. I remember the resets between RFL cycles.. DD are very much like RFL days.
merryellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I wish I could eliminate my CHIP interest! I love chips, just about any kind will do too!
Monica - I tried buying flavors I don't really like. It didn't work darn it! Grrr. I'm starting to build up a true hatred for those awful awful things. Pure evil in a bag.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryellen View Post
Oh yes, I used to be very diligent about protein grams. I need to keep better track again.
I did UD 2.0, Flexible Dieting, and RFL. RFL was my fav, but I am just not that hardcore anymore.

About the metabolic reset, I think that is a good idea. I remember the resets between RFL cycles.. DD are very much like RFL days.
I'm too old, lazy and less vain to be hardcore anymore.

Same for me - DD is exactly like what I would do for RFL (little less protein pushing though since I don't think it's necessary when you have protein-sparing UD's in there).
Old 08-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Day 49 - goal 171.3, actual 170.8 - made it by a hair

32.1 BF%, 41.6% Water, 32.2% muscle.

Bone pounds stayed the same but I saw a little increase of +0.2 a couple of times during the month, so that's positive. Yay, lots of Greek yogurt is a win for the bones I hope - or it might be the magnesium.

September goal weight is 164.9 on Sept 30 (basically 1.5# / week) and ~30% BF. If I lose faster, I'm replacing some DD's with MD's or making them higher DD's. It works for me as a reward system to exercise just so that I can eat more, not to lose faster. According to my calculations, based on food intake alone, not taking into account activity...

Maintenance calories for 170 = 2040/day (wt x 12 which is what my app uses)
Down days of 600 @ 3.5/week = 1440/DD deficit
1440 x 3.5 (EOD) = 5,040 / 3500 = 1.44 pounds per week

So add in a bit of exercise and 1.5 / week sounds easy peasy. I'm going to start wearing the fitbit again for monitoring. Based on past diet experience, weight loss really is that linear for me in a calories in / calories out way - at least until I get down to 150 or so. Then I start getting stalls and whooshes, guess it's those last 20 pounds that don't want to give up the ghost. But I'm dropping the expected weekly/monthly loss down by then, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Yesterday's DD was the worst yet. I was stuck at home due to rain with the little guy who decided he was fasting. It seemed like every 5 minutes he was coming up asking "Can I eat this? Can I eat that?" Then he STOLE my turkey lettuce wraps (loved them of course since he hates bread and loves turkey breast and lettuce). He basically ate as much as I can eat on a normal day and pronounced his "fast" a success. Men. Even small men. He'll probably lose 5 pounds overnight.

Added mistake was that I started the day with 2 whey PP shakes. Major appetite accelerator - I think the transition time for them is about 1.5 h generally. I was diving for the greek yogurt by noon anyway but stayed hungry All. Day. Long. Had a leftover serving of shrimp alfredo in the microwave before the coffee was done percolating this a.m.

Note to self - DD's are better spent being busy away from home. Preferably without growing pre-teen boys around who don't need to diet thinking they're on a diet. And no way on the whey again.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

The weight loss mountain

I know I have goals, but am not really that attached to them specifically. Weight loss is a process thing, not a "let me make a goal and hope I get to it". There have been a ton of studies on the best ways to lose weight and it always comes down to adherence to the diet and honest self-reporting. Lyle Mcdonald has a great article on this called: "Why Do Obese People not Lose More Weight When Treated with Low-Calorie Diets?"

From Yvon Chouinard's book (founder of Patagonia) and mountain climber:

Focus on the movements, not the goal.
"I’ve been a student of Zen philosophy for many years. In Zen archery, for example, you forget about the goal — hitting the bull’s-eye — and instead focus on all the individual movements involved in shooting an arrow. You practice instead your stance, reaching back and smoothly pulling an arrow out of the quiver, notching it on the string, controlling your breathing, and letting the arrow release itself. If you’ve perfected all the elements, you can’t help but hit the center of the target. The same philosophy is true for climbing mountains. If you focus on the process of climbing, you’ll end up on the summit."
I need to remember this when I start stalling and feel like giving up. Patience, grasshopper, patience.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Day 50 - goal 171.1, actual 170.8 - tweaking macros for science

I spent some time yesterday running the numbers on the ADF study done in 2012 to adapt to my calorie level / weight etc. Why spend this time? Because miraculously enough, they managed to build muscle - without doing anything but eating a certain way. And I'm lazy and don't want to re-invent the wheel or use a hit-or-miss strategy.

At a start weight averaging 200 pounds, the higher fat group was given 2000 (~3300 UD and 660-ish DD) calories a day and the macros were like so:
Fat: 100 g = 900 cal
Protein: 75g = 300 cal
Carbs: 200 g = 800 cal

I want an average of ~ 1400 cal/day (2000 UD, 800 DD) so my macros came out to:
Fat: 110 (UD), 44 (DD)
Protein: 100 (UD), 40 (DD)
Carb: 150 (UD), 60 (DD)

I kept the fat at 70% (1400/2000) but had to cut the carbs to maintain an average of 70g of protein over the 2 days.

They ate 3 equally caloric meals a day on their up days - per meal for me that's (37g F, 33g P, 50g C):
6-8 a.m.
12-2 p.m.
6-8 p.m.
And one meal on down days:
12-2 p.m.

I've noticed that on high fat up days, I get bloated, crampy etc. and feel extremely painfully full on higher fat foods that I've never had a problem with before. It happened again last night. It also leads to runny things happening in the mornings (which I think might be the cause of my after-UD low weigh in #'s). My body is purging itself after those high fat UD's. It may be because I'm not being consistent with fat intake. I've been eating low fat on DD's to get more protein in while staying in a low caloric range but in looking at this research, I'm hoping that that's not necessary (either the low fat or the high protein).

I'm going to give this revised protocol a try for September. My caloric deficit will only be ~ 4-500 calories average a day and I want to lose 1.5#/week, so the remainder will come from exercise. And a pretty minimal amount of exercise at that if it's only 250-350 cal/day. The fitbit is coming out again I guess. And the bacon. For science.